PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Shopping

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Lots of veterans cut right now.

I would love love to see TT talk to a few of them and try to bring them in. Julius Peppers has the length to play 3-4 end and dominate at it. DeMarcus Ware would be an amazing guy to take a flier on and finally shore up the OLB spot. Jared Allen would be a good guy to bring in as a dedicated pass rusher.

I don't think any of these three guys are going to break the bank. I definitely think it would be worth exploring. Julius Peppers especially. He would be the best 3-4 end in the league.

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Lots of veterans cut right now.

I would love love to see TT talk to a few of them and try to bring them in. Julius Peppers has the length to play 3-4 end and dominate at it. DeMarcus Ware would be an amazing guy to take a flier on and finally shore up the OLB spot. Jared Allen would be a good guy to bring in as a dedicated pass rusher.

I don't think any of these three guys are going to break the bank. I definitely think it would be worth exploring. Julius Peppers especially. He would be the best 3-4 end in the league.

IIRC, Peppers, when leaving Carolina, said something about wanted to be an OLB in a 3-4. Then he went to Chicago. I have no idea if he could still play an OLB now. He's been a little banged up, he's older now and may have lost something.

Ware is going to get paid pretty well, so I don't think he is an option. And Allen - Yes, I think he'd only be a pass rusher in the Packers Defense and I don't think his cost and age paired with just being a pass rusher would be viable.

However, if the price is right, I'm cool with TT signing any of them.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 07:55 AM
While I like the idea of signing Ware, he's gonna cost money. Peppers is an interesting thought, too, within the context of talking up being a 3-4 OLB (Although I think he'd be a DE). I do agree Peppers is unlikely to be an option based on age.
If you're serious about the topic thread, I wouldn't mention Peppers, Ware or Allen. None will be cheap. I do agree there will be cheaper vets out there TT can sign. Given the # of players who could leave in FA (~15 I think, with Shields and Lattimore signed) I expect him to sign a few. First few days tend to be a lot of big splash signings and those work out best for teams who think they are one player away. Actually works less often than people think, but it is exciting from a news standpoint.

Signing FA's isn't much different from acquiring via the draft. You don't always know how they'll fit into the team and scheme, and they cost a lot more.

denverYooper
03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Peppers would be a gigantic OLB.

And this I know, his teeth are white as a snow. What a gas it would be.

http://youtu.be/Nx_SKiSmvdc

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Peppers played on the UNC basketball team... he big and athletic enough where he can play 3-4 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker. I think he would be better suited for OLB though with his pass rushing skills but could move to DE in nickel and dime packages.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Peppers played on the UNC basketball team... he big and athletic enough where he can play 3-4 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker. I think he would be better suited for OLB though with his pass rushing skills but could move to DE in nickel and dime packages.

I doubt Peppers is willing to make a position switch to OLB this late in his career.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
I doubt Peppers is willing to make a position switch to OLB this late in his career.

Remember he wanted to play 3-4 OLB when he left Carolina.

QBME
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Not sure he has anything left in the tank. He fell off the cliff this past season - he made 3 or 4 plays every other game, and no one put a double team on him. People were running around and over him. Total of 46 tackles and 7.5 sacks for the season.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Not sure he has anything left in the tank. He fell off the cliff this past season - he made 3 or 4 plays every other game, and no one put a double team on him. People were running around and over him. Total of 46 tackles and 7.5 sacks for the season.

I agree, but he was playing alongside some shitty players as well so it's hard to pinpoint how much was him falling off.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Peppers and Ware both looked spent last season. Dog tired. But I know Peppers can rally for a play here and there. Neither seems anywhere near the kind of guys TT likes to bring in ... but I've stopped counting how many times I've been wrong.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 02:17 PM

A Pixies reference! repped.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Titties...repped!

bobblehead
03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Peppers and Ware both looked spent last season. Dog tired. But I know Peppers can rally for a play here and there. Neither seems anywhere near the kind of guys TT likes to bring in ... but I've stopped counting how many times I've been wrong.

smuggler
03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
You guys have it backwards. He already played 3-4 OLB at Carolina. He wanted to go play DE in a 4-3 and it was part of the reason that people criticized him for being an underachiever in Carolina.

Some time after he left, Carolina switched to the 4-3 anyway.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Actually, Carolina played a 4-3 when Peppers was there (they played in a 3-4 when Dom Capers was there). For some reason he wanted to go to a team that played a 3-4, but ended up going to Chicago and their 4-3 defense. Peppers might have been able to pull it off 5-6 years ago, but not now.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
You guys have it backwards. He already played 3-4 OLB at Carolina. He wanted to go play DE in a 4-3 and it was part of the reason that people criticized him for being an underachiever in Carolina.

Some time after he left, Carolina switched to the 4-3 anyway.

Carolina played a 4-3 when he was there. He was always listed on their roster as either LDE or RDE. Dan Morgan and Jon Beason were listed as the starting MLB's during his years there. He may have dropped into coverage more than most DE's because of his athleticism, but he was always listed as a DE.

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Julius Peppers is old, I'll give you that, but freaks like that are just that, freaks. He is still one of the most athletic linemen in the league most likely. He could be a JJ Watt type guy at 3-4 DE. Probably not as dominant, but he has the length, strength, weight and frame I'm looking for.

All off-season they've been talking about wanting to get more Datone Jones type athletes, body types, etc. I've been hollering for some taller guys, like Marcus Stroud and John Henderson from that dominant JVille front many moons ago. I want my DE guys 6'5" or taller. If we have Raji at NT, then Peppers and Jones make darn good sized ends. I would be very pleased with that.

It would be a mistake to assume that Mike Neal AND Nicky P are both going to stay healthy and Neal will be able to rush from DE frequently. This hasn't happened yet and we have no reason to believe it will. I would be overjoyed with Peppers on a two year deal.

I would gladly pay 2 years, 20M guaranteed. There will be no ill effects of a two year deal. Roll the dice TT. Land yourself a top 2 3-4 DE in the league.

Imagine... 3rd and 5, Mike Neal and Clay coming from the left, Perry and Peppers coming from the right. Raji up the middle.

woodbuck27
03-12-2014, 11:12 PM
A Pixies reference! repped.

Ahh the Pixies from New England Patriot Country.

I'm just now understanding I think that the Pat's landed Mr. Revis. The way things have gone for the BRONCOS the Pats were almost forced to make some kind of big play move to just try to keep Denver in sight.

The Denver Broncos are killing it in Free Agency...signing three Pro Bowl caliber UFA's Safety T.J. Ward,: CB Aquib Talib and then they really go for it obtaining a man the experts say has lots left in huis tank.

The Bronco's GM John Elway brings to Peyton Manning and Company. The Dallas Cowboys All Time leading sack artist DeMarcus Ware with a recorded 117 sacks in nine seasons, and earning Pro Bowl honors every year from 2006 to 2012. Ware was off some in 2013 having a career-low six sacks in 2013 and missing the first three games with a quadriceps strain.

The Denver Bronco fans have to love it. It's not without some risk but nothing more ventured nothing more gained with the Broncos having one if not the most potent offenses in NFL history.

It's just simply their time with Peyton Manning to stay dialed in and they were AFC favourites prior to Free Agency; but have gone all in to get their "D" where it must be to compete for a Super Bowl again next season.

Having an offense that scores 38 points per game and a 'D' almost as bad as the Green Bay Packers just doesn't cut it.

The Pixies... I enjoy the talent of their lead player. That man can play guitar.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWEaculWWnvCNg8hFT8RbWhLPCPrM4g aonKyoQ-t6tWZvCHcrJgw

Give the bass player a cigarette. That woman "puffed" a lot on stage when she was the Pixie's bassist.

Kim Deal has left the band ...... again in 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Deal

Fritz
03-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Looks like the Broncos will be in the SB again, with all those signings. For sure.

3irty1
03-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Looks like the Broncos will be in the SB again, with all those signings. For sure.

The AFC sucked last year. If the Pats have even an average year of injuries they are the class to beat in the AFC IMO.

Brandon494
03-13-2014, 06:33 AM
The AFC sucked last year. If the Pats have even an average year of injuries they are the class to beat in the AFC IMO.

Not after all the signing the Broncos just made. Yea they lost Gronk but what other playmakers does Brady have? Knowing that Manning only has a couple of years left Broncos are going all-in.

Fritz
03-13-2014, 06:44 AM

I was being facetious. You know, the paper SB champions we crown every year during the FA period.

3irty1
03-13-2014, 06:57 AM
I was being facetious. You know, the paper SB champions we crown every year during the FA period.

Hard for me to tell after 3 of the final 4 last year was composed out the champions of last years offseason.

3irty1
03-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Not after all the signing the Broncos just made. Yea they lost Gronk but what other playmakers does Brady have? Knowing that Manning only has a couple of years left Broncos are going all-in.

They lost a lot more than Gronk. They lost Wilfork and Mayo too. Plus the Pats had a big ass signing of their own in Revis. Some steps forward in those rookie receivers 2nd season and that's starting to look like a really complete team IMO.

Brandon494
03-13-2014, 07:59 AM
They lost a lot more than Gronk. They lost Wilfork and Mayo too. Plus the Pats had a big ass signing of their own in Revis. Some steps forward in those rookie receivers 2nd season and that's starting to look like a really complete team IMO.

I agree they will be a good team but Broncos are still the clear favorites in the AFC.

smuggler
03-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Losing Wilfork was a 'Big Deal' legitimately, but Mayo is a glorified JAG, to be honest.

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
In addition to JP, I would sign Shaun Phillips. He could likely be had for 1-2M per year based on earnings in recent years. He had 10 sacks last year, is 32, and is a proven commodity as a pass rusher. Would be a great guy to get on the field on 3rd down for very little money.

pbmax
03-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Does anyone else wonder what the Broncos are going to do on offense to combat being beaten to a pulp next year?

Decker wasn't the answer, but what is the plan to not be shut out in a playoff game next year?

bobblehead
03-13-2014, 01:14 PM

for sure, they look almost as good as the eagles when they signed Cullen Jenkins.

red
03-13-2014, 01:23 PM
for sure, they look almost as good as the eagles when they signed Cullen Jenkins.

eagles weren't in the super bowl the year before, were they?

broncos were there and have kept that team together for the most part, they've just tried to fill in the holes they had. not build a super bowl team from scratch

Fritz
03-13-2014, 01:36 PM
I predict near-suckage for the Broncos next season. Like, an 8-8 record.

mraynrand
03-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Does anyone else wonder what the Broncos are going to do on offense to combat being beaten to a pulp next year?

Decker wasn't the answer, but what is the plan to not be shut out in a playoff game next year?

They've brought in Bill Romanowski as a special assistant to the training staff...

http://por-img.cimcontent.net/api/assets/bin-201105/5568172af674eb08d35cb090c62cc694.jpg

Bring on the super-soup!

bobblehead
03-13-2014, 08:24 PM
eagles weren't in the super bowl the year before, were they?

broncos were there and have kept that team together for the most part, they've just tried to fill in the holes they had. not build a super bowl team from scratch

I have to agree that its hard to see the Broncos NOT getting through the AFC again given all that has happened. They improved a lot (even if they end up in cap hell in 2 years) and I don't see anyone in the AFC that has done enough to catch them.

smuggler
03-13-2014, 10:03 PM
The AFC is horrible. There are 6 teams in the NFC that would probably reach the AFC championship game, just for comparison.

packer4life
03-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Can you imagine a Chip Kelly offense with both Sproles and McCoy in the backfield?

Mind-blowing.

(This in no way relates to the above discussion, just wanted to applaud the move.)

mraynrand
03-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Can you imagine a Chip Kelly offense with both Sproles and McCoy in the backfield?

Mind-blowing.

(This in no way relates to the above discussion, just wanted to applaud the move.)

wrong thread!!! :) http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26653-Wrong-Thread

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 12:37 AM

The Pat's will always be close with Bill Belichick but this off season the STAR Runner is definitely the Denver Broncos.

Elway and Peyton Manning want another ring badly.

It's actually exciting to see that franchise demonstrate the balls to go for it. That franchise contrasted with the TT led Green Bay Packers "slow" meltdown.

Blame it on the injuries.