PDA

View Full Version : TOP FREE AGENT SAFETIES.....POOF

Bretsky
03-12-2014, 06:47 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/21/ranking-the-2014-free-agents-safeties/

Is Clemons still there ? If TT had any aspiration of fulfilling that nightmarish hold through Free Agency....which I seriously doubt he did.....this was the wrong year to sit on his ass and wait for values..it appears

3irty1
03-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Clemmons is still there. Are you also saying this is the right year to overpay?

run pMc
03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Counting Sam's signing bonus, I'd guess they're paying somewhere around $26M in 2014 for Sam, Tramon, and Burnett. They aren't going to sign a big name expensive safety.
If they sign a safety it will be in a few days for $2M/yr.

Bretsky
03-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Are you saying every free agent safety that signed was overpaid ? Because I'm not buying into that.

red
03-12-2014, 08:26 AM

what safeties were overpaid?

Bretsky
03-12-2014, 08:27 AM

Was it right to overpay Sam Shields ? In a rising cap environment, sometimes it's ok to slightly overpay if you get a guy that makes an impact IMO. I'm still torn on Shields.
But it can be arugued we've certainly overpaid some 2nd term contracts of our own.

red
03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Was it right to overpay Sam Shields ? In a rising cap environment, sometimes it's ok to slightly overpay if you get a guy that makes an impact IMO. I'm still torn on Shields.
But it can be arugued we've certainly overpaid some 2nd term contracts of our own.

paying top dollar to our own is just part of doing business

paying market value or slightly more for other free agents though is negligent, and unsound

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM

paying market value or slightly more for other free agents though is negligent, and unsound

Name me a team who doesn't have an overpaid player. Jesus Christ, if the worst we have is Brad Jones I'd say we are pretty well off. For as much as a hard on as many posters here have the Seahawks, they are paying Zach Miller 7M this year.

It happens

3irty1
03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Are you saying every free agent safety that signed was overpaid ? Because I'm not buying into that.

I have no idea, I haven't seen any of their numbers. But if this is the wrong year for bargain shopping then I'm asking if that means its the right year for the opposite.

3irty1
03-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Every one of them on defense I'd say, ones like Tramon, Burnett, Jones, and CMIII I could understand at the time but we haven't gotten our money's worth out of any of them. Pickett has been worth it but between age and pay increases he probably didn't quite earn his check last year either. No I don't think it was right to pay Sam. I'm starting to believe in the idea of the GB premium. The state income tax certainly doesn't help. There is a reason Florida has 3 teams.

red
03-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Name me a team who doesn't have an overpaid player. Jesus Christ, if the worst we have is Brad Jones I'd say we are pretty well off. For as much as a hard on as many posters here have the Seahawks, they are paying Zach Miller 7M this year.

It happens

want a list?

TJ lang
brad jones
morgan burnett
tramon
hawk
bush
shields
maybe clay if his ass can never stay healthy and get back on the field and contribute

and guys that were recently overpaid but are now free agents
kuhn
finley
we tried to overpay raji

all those guys are or have been overpaid by us. if they were free agents that we signed from someone else, people on here would be crying about how we overpaid. but since they were are our guys, no big deal, that was fair

really the guys that aren't getting higher then market value pay are a-rod, jordy, sitton and the 40 guys on the team that are still on their rookie deals

red
03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
I have no idea, I haven't seen any of their numbers. But if this is the wrong year for bargain shopping then I'm asking if that means its the right year for the opposite.

it seems to me like the guys you would hope would last a few days and then be had for bargain deal, went this year on the first day, for bargain deals

teams started the bargain shopping early this year

and when we're sitting on 30 million in cap space, yes this would be the year to pay MARKET VALUE for some decent guys that could help. not just guys that can come in to compete for a spot

pbmax
03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Jairus Byrd (6 yrs/$56 mil/$28 mil gtd)

Donte Whitner (4/28/?)

Antoine Bethea (4/26/)

Malcolm Jenkins (3/16.25/8.5)

T.J. Ward (4 yrs/$23 mil/14)

Mike Mitchell (5/25/?)

This can change depending on contract details, but other than Jenkins, how do you fit $5-9 million per year plus $8 mil guaranteed into the DB budget.

3irty1
03-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Lang's not overpaid. I think Hawk is a stretch as well seeing as how he just took a cut and had a career year but certainly he's robbed us in the past. Bush makes less than starter money and is less than a starter, that seems fair. Kuhn is expensive for a FB but also isn't making enough to matter given his utility value. I agree with all the rest.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 08:52 AM
The other thing to remember, is that the Packers have an inordinate number of FAs on the market (was it 16 when they started?), which means a lot of roster spots to fill. So a serious segment of that $30+ mil in cap space must be devoted to filling out the roster at roughly $1 mil per player.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 08:57 AM
want a list?

TJ lang
brad jones
morgan burnett
tramon
hawk
bush
shields
maybe clay if his ass can never stay healthy and get back on the field and contribute

and guys that were recently overpaid but are now free agents
kuhn
finley
we tried to overpay raji

all those guys are or have been overpaid by us. if they were free agents that we signed from someone else, people on here would be crying about how we overpaid. but since they were are our guys, no big deal, that was fair

really the guys that aren't getting higher then market value pay are a-rod, jordy, sitton and the 40 guys on the team that are still on their rookie deals

Hard for me to say Lang is overpaid after seeing the deals going out yesterday
Jones - yes but it's not a killer
Burnett - no argument he was last year, but it was only 1 year in
Tramon - he's in his last year, normally the highest year

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 09:00 AM
The other thing to remember, is that the Packers have an inordinate number of FAs on the market (was it 16 when they started?), which means a lot of roster spots to fill. So a serious segment of that $30+ mil in cap space must be devoted to filling out the roster at roughly $1 mil per player.

Keep in mind though that the Packers ended the season with a huge number of players on IR. So, at the end of the season, that had more players under contract than most teams. So, while they have an inordinate number of FA's, that doesn't necessarily mean they have an inordinate number of roster spots to fill.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Keep in mind though that the Packers ended the season with a huge number of players on IR. So, at the end of the season, that had more players under contract than most teams. So, while they have an inordinate number of FA's, that doesn't necessarily mean they have an inordinate number of roster spots to fill.

Fair point. Anyone have numbers on open roster spots?

3irty1
03-12-2014, 09:04 AM
it seems to me like the guys you would hope would last a few days and then be had for bargain deal, went this year on the first day, for bargain deals

teams started the bargain shopping early this year

and when we're sitting on 30 million in cap space, yes this would be the year to pay MARKET VALUE for some decent guys that could help. not just guys that can come in to compete for a spot

I definitely don't see any bargains in PB's list unless we're comparing those contracts to Shields'. I could have lived with Whitner's contract. And Mike Mitchell could end up being a deal but even by FA standards he's kind of risky in a Brad-Jones-of-safeties kind of way. The safety position is so incredibly weak around the entire league that it seems there is a premium. We've got a fit too that requires more athleticism than many others, I'm not shocked he went to the Steelers to play in a D like ours.

red
03-12-2014, 09:08 AM

not true, exactly

the cap space we currently have reflects the top 53 guys on the roster right now. a lot of the rookies, or other guys we bring in are gonna cost near the minimum, so they're probably just going to be replacing guy that are currently counting near the minimum against the cap.

it might move if we start signing some guys for around 2 or 3 million. but if we start signing a bunch of million dollar guys, that cap isn't gonna move too much

red
03-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Hard for me to say Lang is overpaid after seeing the deals going out yesterday
Jones - yes but it's not a killer
Burnett - no argument he was last year, but it was only 1 year in
Tramon - he's in his last year, normally the highest year

langs contract averages out to abour 5.2 million a year. making him the 13th highest paid guard by yearly average

imho, lang is not a top 15 guard, and is one of the weak spots on our line, and a guy who we should be looking at finding competition for (in the draft)

3irty1
03-12-2014, 09:16 AM
langs contract averages out to abour 5.2 million a year. making him the 13th highest paid guard by yearly average

imho, lang is not a top 15 guard, and is one of the weak spots on our line, and a guy who we should be looking at finding competition for (in the draft)

Super common fallacy but fallacy none the less to think the Nth highest paid player should be the Nth best player. Rookie contracts always screw that up because they're making WAY below their market value. Lang is not a probowler but is not an easy dude to replace and its laughable to say he's a weak spot on the line when he's playing in between two players worse than himself for the last two years.

red
03-12-2014, 09:18 AM
I definitely don't see any bargains in PB's list unless we're comparing those contracts to Shields'. I could have lived with Whitner's contract. And Mike Mitchell could end up being a deal but even by FA standards he's kind of risky in a Brad-Jones-of-safeties kind of way. The safety position is so incredibly weak around the entire league that it seems there is a premium. We've got a fit too that requires more athleticism than many others, I'm not shocked he went to the Steelers to play in a D like ours.

tj ward just became the 16th highest paid safety. he's young, on the rise, and he's a pro bowler

(morgan burnett is ranked 18th btw)

whitner got market value on the first day of free agency, thats a bargain. he now is the 8th, 9th, or 10th highest paid safety. right about where he should be

byrd became the highest paid safety, and he should have. but we're gonna find out that a good chunk of that deal is bull shit money

bobblehead
03-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Mostly true, because continuity matters. Also, from a GM perspective, he would be crucified for letting Shields get away, but not for letting, say, TJ Ward get away.

red
03-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Super common fallacy but fallacy none the less to think the Nth highest paid player should be the Nth best player. Rookie contracts always screw that up because they're making WAY below their market value. Lang is not a probowler but is not an easy dude to replace and its laughable to say he's a weak spot on the line when he's playing in between two players worse than himself for the last two years.

he's been a weak spot for years, not just this year

denverYooper
03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Every one of them on defense I'd say, ones like Tramon, Burnett, Jones, and CMIII I could understand at the time but we haven't gotten our money's worth out of any of them. Pickett has been worth it but between age and pay increases he probably didn't quite earn his check last year either. No I don't think it was right to pay Sam. I'm starting to believe in the idea of the GB premium. The state income tax certainly doesn't help. There is a reason Florida has 3 teams.

Yes. They have 3.374 times the population of Wisconsin.

bobblehead
03-12-2014, 09:26 AM
he's been a weak spot for years, not just this year

LT has been our weak spot since Clifton left. RT hasn't been much better other than when Bulaga is healthy. Center was merely adequate last year. Lang is a player and if we lost him, you would notice (or maybe not since no one seems to notice that Baktiari isn't all that)

3irty1
03-12-2014, 09:32 AM
tj ward just became the 16th highest paid safety. he's young, on the rise, and he's a pro bowler

(morgan burnett is ranked 18th btw)

whitner got market value on the first day of free agency, thats a bargain. he now is the 8th, 9th, or 10th highest paid safety. right about where he should be

byrd became the highest paid safety, and he should have. but we're gonna find out that a good chunk of that deal is bull shit money

Ward is a fine player but he doesn't really play the same position as the others we're talking about here. Ward is not a great coverage player and strong safeties in that mold aren't in short supply. I wouldn't want him at that contract in GB.

red
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Ward is a fine player but he doesn't really play the same position as the others we're talking about here. Ward is not a great coverage player and strong safeties in that mold aren't in short supply. I wouldn't want him at that contract in GB.

depends how you look at it. i think burnett should be our SS, not our FS

and i would take ward at his deal any day of the week of burnett and his deal

the problem is, we can't get rid of burnett, and he can't play FS

so you're right that ward and burnett on the same team probably wouldn't work, but i still think he would have been a huge upgrade at either safety spot

pbmax
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Selling low on a player is not a wise idea. Packers tend to be more right than wrong about their own players. Burnett deserves another year before we start calculating the cap hit of releasing him.

3irty1
03-12-2014, 10:00 AM

I guess what I should have said is "There is a reason Florida is a FA magnet." Which is true for all sports. All 3 of the Florida teams are bottom 10 in attendance though and the bucs and jags routinely get blacked out. Maybe Jacksonville isn't a nfl cancer specifically created for an elaborate tax-dodging conspiracy but I won't apologize for asking the tough questions :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Ward is a guy that I didn't want in Green Bay. Wrong fit and he had one good contract year. Lang is a good player. To say he has been a weak spot for years is ludicrous. He's not at Sitton's level, but a good player nonetheless. I was actually hoping the Packers might go for a guy like Malcolm Jenkins, but then I saw the price tag (close to $6M/yr, wasn't it?). I'd so no thanks at that price. I'm not convinced that Micah Hyde couldn't be the answer at safety, but I'm sure the Packers will look to safeties at draft time also.

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
To me, contracts fluctuate year in and year out. A few years back, it was the WR contracts. This year it's the CB contracts that are going up. And the safety contracts going down. They aren't static year to year, so comparing contracts signed this year to contracts signed a year or two ago seems to miss the changing market. Yeah, the safety contracts may look like bargains compared to last year, but with a moving floor, I'm not sure that justifies just going out and getting a safety. If TT and team identified that the cost of a safety was decreasing, they were wise to adjust their spending accordingly. That's how good businesses stay in business (and how good cap managers stay under the cap).

On the other hand, does it really matter if players x, y, or z are overpaid on our team if we have the fifth or sixth most salary cap space in the league? Having those players "overpaid" (which is an arbitrary designation often hotly debated by fans) does not affect our ability to sign anyone. Rodgers and the Claymaker just got two of the largest deals in team history, several players on the team are "overpaid", and we could still go out and get whomever we wanted. Makes the "overpaid or not" debate completely irrelevant to me.

3irty1
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
To me, contracts fluctuate year in and year out. A few years back, it was the WR contracts. This year it's the CB contracts that are going up. And the safety contracts going down. They aren't static year to year, so comparing contracts signed this year to contracts signed a year or two ago seems to miss the changing market. Yeah, the safety contracts may look like bargains compared to last year, but with a moving floor, I'm not sure that justifies just going out and getting a safety. If TT and team identified that the cost of a safety was decreasing, they were wise to adjust their spending accordingly. That's how good businesses stay in business (and how good cap managers stay under the cap).

On the other hand, does it really matter if players x, y, or z are overpaid on our team if we have the fifth or sixth most salary cap space in the league? Having those players "overpaid" (which is an arbitrary designation often hotly debated by fans) does not affect our ability to sign anyone. Rodgers and the Claymaker just got two of the largest deals in team history, several players on the team are "overpaid", and we could still go out and get whomever we wanted. Makes the "overpaid or not" debate completely irrelevant to me.

Great point.

Zool
03-12-2014, 10:18 AM
LT has been our weak spot since Clifton left. RT hasn't been much better other than when Bulaga is healthy. Center was merely adequate last year. Lang is a player and if we lost him, you would notice (or maybe not since no one seems to notice that Baktiari isn't all that)

Lang isn't fantastic, but he's light years ahead of Marshmallow or EDS or Barclay. Red calling him the weak link is either ranting or lying.

red
03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

no it doesn't. but why are people so terrified of "overpaying" on other peoples free agents, when they clearly don't have a problem with overpaying our own?

red
03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Lang isn't fantastic, but he's light years ahead of Marshmallow or EDS or Barclay. Red calling him the weak link is either ranting or lying.

i actually think our whole o-line is greatly over rated, they can't pass block for shit imo, and we're a pass-first team

i've just never been impressed with lang, sitton is way better IMO (its not even close), but they make just about the same coin

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2014, 10:29 AM

It's not overpaying. It's the market rate.

Zool
03-12-2014, 10:32 AM
i actually think our whole o-line is greatly over rated, they can't pass block for shit imo, and we're a pass-first team

i've just never been impressed with lang, sitton is way better IMO (its not even close), but they make just about the same coin

I'll give you they aren't the best in the league, but think back to Darryn Colledge starting at RG for a few years. Think back to Newhouse the turnstile last year. Lang is decent. You can't have a probowler at every position. It's just not possible.

ThunderDan
03-12-2014, 10:39 AM
I'll give you they aren't the best in the league, but think back to Darryn Colledge starting at RG for a few years. Think back to Newhouse the turnstile last year. Lang is decent. You can't have a probowler at every position. It's just not possible.

Sure it is. And if you don't its proof that your GM sucks.

Of course we had a Pro Bowl Center in 2012 who got benched at the end of the year he was so BAD. So I don't put as much into who is a Pro Bowler or not as some people do.

red
03-12-2014, 10:46 AM

but thats just it, he's paid near pro bowl money

calling him the weak link might have been a bit much, but i do think he's replaceable, and for cheaper

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 10:55 AM

I prefer this o-line over the Barbre as RT and Newhouse as LT days. Greatly.

Not saying this one's all-world, but it has better potential than it did in the days of what's his name notching 5 sacks against us in one half.

Zool
03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
but thats just it, he's paid near pro bowl money

calling him the weak link might have been a bit much, but i do think he's replaceable, and for cheaper

I'll give you that's possible, but I'd much rather keep him and get someone better to replace EDS and Marshmallow. EDS should be a backup and Newhouse is flat out terrible.

Fritz
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
A top notch rookie safety can come in and play - to me, Clinton-Dix is the most NFL-ready guy.

I hear that Jimmie Ward has skills, but is he another four-years-to-develop prospect like Nick Collins was?

And how about the Wisconsin guy? What's the word, you Badger people?

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 11:41 AM

yeah, and his coverage skills were on display at the end of last season. They were not enviable.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
A top notch rookie safety can come in and play - to me, Clinton-Dix is the most NFL-ready guy.

I hear that Jimmie Ward has skills, but is he another four-years-to-develop prospect like Nick Collins was?

His physical skills dwarf his results.

red
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM

well thats just it. all season long, there was clinton dix, and no one else really worth looking at in the draft according to most scouting sources. then prior declared and it was those two, and everyone else was crap.

then the combine comes and the guys run around in their underwear and look all sexy, and all of a sudden there's 10-15 safeties that are good

for me its dix and pryor. those are the only two, the rest are projects and have big question marks

it looks like we're putting all our eggs in the draft basket for a new safety now that we didn't go after any yesterday or today. so, you got to hope that one of those 2 is still there at #21, or we're probably screwed again this year, and we just blew a more money on a secondary that's only as good as its weakest safety

3irty1
03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Nate Allen is still out there as well is he not?

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
The fallacy of signing your own is silly. It doesn't cost any more or any less to sign your own. Everyone is getting paid the maximum dollar the market will bear. Raji didn't take a big deal becauase his agent put out feelers and was sure he could get more. Same with Shields. It's not like Shields took a low end contract to stay here. He got paid top dollar - maybe a little bit too much - but who cares because he's a good player.

I say get as many good players as possible. I would be all over Demarcus Ware or Julius P right now. It is a huge error in judgement to not address safety. They have zero chance at the superbowl next year unless they have an absolutely phenomenal draft - which recent history shows probably won't happen.

We have somewhere between 1-3 great players. The odds of drafting one aren't good. If you have the chance to get a special athlete, you take it. Period.

TT is a fine general manager but certainly not elite. I would welcome John Schneider or Trent Baalke.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
The fallacy of signing your own is silly. It doesn't cost any more or any less to sign your own. Everyone is getting paid the maximum dollar the market will bear. Raji didn't take a big deal becauase his agent put out feelers and was sure he could get more. Same with Shields. It's not like Shields took a low end contract to stay here. He got paid top dollar - maybe a little bit too much - but who cares because he's a good player.

I say get as many good players as possible. I would be all over Demarcus Ware or Julius P right now. It is a huge error in judgement to not address safety. They have zero chance at the superbowl next year unless they have an absolutely phenomenal draft - which recent history shows probably won't happen.

We have somewhere between 1-3 great players. The odds of drafting one aren't good. If you have the chance to get a special athlete, you take it. Period.

TT is a fine general manager but certainly not elite. I would welcome John Schneider or Trent Baalke.

Lmao, outside of Reggie White, there have been no other splash signings but somehow its TT fault? You guys need to wake up and face it, players don't want to come to Green Bay. These other GMs can pinch athletes to come to their city, whats Ted going to pinch a 20 something year old guy to come to Green Bay? Even Woodson was viewed as a bad signing at the time and he only came here because no one else wanted him. Don't get me wrong once players come here they love Green Bay but if I wasn't a fan the Packers would not be one of my top choices.

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Lmao, outside of Reggie White, there have been no other splash signings but somehow its TT fault? You guys need to wake up and face it, players don't want to come to Green Bay. These other GMs can pinch athletes to come to their city, whats Ted going to pinch a 20 something year old guy to come to Green Bay? Even Woodson was viewed as a bad signing at the time and he only came here because no one else wanted him. Don't get me wrong once players come here they love Green Bay but if I wasn't a fan the Packers would not be one of my top choices.

Bullshit. I agree it's cold as hell, but you offer someone 200K more a year and they're here over a good, hot weather team. You offer the same over an average to bad franchise and they're here. BULL SHIT.

red
03-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Nate Allen is still out there as well is he not?

he's still available, chris clemons is still out there and generating no interest

Stevie Brown is out there, decent player who missed all of last year with a torn ACL

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Interesting. Do you think this may be an entirely intentional, contributing factor in the Packer's style of team building? If what you say is true, then it makes even more sense to build almost exclusively through the draft and rookie FA acquisition, because you know you don't have the draw of other places.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Bullshit. I agree it's cold as hell, but you offer someone 200K more a year and they're here over a good, hot weather team. You offer the same over an average to bad franchise and they're here. BULL SHIT.

Bullshit, you are a fan of the Packers so of course you feel that way. Also you think 200k is really going to change a players mind one way or the other? Crazy as it might sound to you people actually factor in location when making FA decisions.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Interesting. Do you think this may be an entirely intentional, contributing factor in the Packer's style of team building? If what you say is true, then it makes even more sense to build almost exclusively through the draft and rookie FA acquisition, because you know you don't have the draw of other places.

Pretty much how I always looked at it and why I've been a fan of TT since day one.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Sorry, Lang is not the weak link in the OL. EDS is better at C than Lang, but Lang is light years better than EDS or Gerhart at G. I think Lang is better than Barclay, but I'm not sure I'd want Lang playing T. He's a G, and compared to what Saffold got paid, Lang is well worth his contract.

I just don't think they aren't going to drop $5M/yr on a S with all the money sunk in the secondary already. Signing Sam was a higher priority. Either they know more about Hyde's ability to play S or they will sign a second-tier FA. (I see I'm not the only one to mention Nate Allen, Clemons might be too expensive.) After that TT will target a safety but if HaHa is gone they'll look in the later rounds. I like Pryor, but I'm thinking he's more of a box safety than a cover/centerfielder safety, which is what they need at FS. I'm assuming Burnett is better at SS, and from what I've seen I think that's is true.

They also need someone who will communicate faster and better back there. If the secondary is doing a lot of switching they either aren't reacting fast enough or talking to each other enough.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 02:48 PM

I think there's 2 ways to go with it. Either primarily draft-based or focus on older family-oriented veterans who are chasing a SB.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I think there's 2 ways to go with it. Either primarily draft-based or focus on older family-oriented veterans who are chasing a SB.

Hello Champ Bailey at safety!!

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Bullshit, you are a fan of the Packers so of course you feel that way. Also you think 200k is really going to change a players mind one way or the other? Crazy as it might sound to you people actually factor in location when making FA decisions.

Nope. Former Packers on WSSP both agreed that this is no longer an issue. Players love playing in GB. You're treated like a pros pro, worshipped by fans, and given top notch accomodations. When it's cold as fuck, they are livin' in Cali, Phoenix, Florida, TX, etc. It's a none issue according to real NFL players.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Nope. Former Packers on WSSP both agreed that this is no longer an issue. Players love playing in GB. You're treated like a pros pro, worshipped by fans, and given top notch accomodations. When it's cold as fuck, they are livin' in Cali, Phoenix, Florida, TX, etc. It's a none issue according to real NFL players.

Like I said above for players who play here the town grows on them but just like Charles Woodson said...."I didn't want to come to Green Bay". Its not about just weather, most people prefer living in a city. If you're in your 20s night life is important to you, especially if you are a millionaire.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Like I said above for players who play here the town grows on them but just like Charles Woodson said...."I didn't want to come to Green Bay". Its not about just weather, most people prefer living in a city. If you're in your 20s night life is important to you, especially if you are a millionaire.

I think you underestimate the multicultural draw of the White Dog Black Cat Cafe

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/34/ce/1f/white-dog-black-cat-cafe.jpg

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 02:33 AM
There's still a couple of good ones remaining or not signed yet.

Chris Clemons, Miami (28) and James Ihedigbo ,Baltimore (30) would be decent additions.

Both are coming off career seasons in 2013.

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Chris Clemons would be an ok addition; he's not a playmaker IMO but he's a student of the game who would be great to work with Burnett. Ted should really get off his ass and make an actual effort here. It sounds like Detroit and another team or two remain interested with Green Bay on the hibernation list.

Clemons is a guy you feel good about the fact that if you don't find your guy in the draft you aren't screwed.....as Ted left us last year going into the draft and then season. He's a capable starter. I wonder what he's asking for ?

The prices have some down; I wonder if he can be had for the 3MIL a year range.

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 06:57 AM
There's still a couple of good ones remaining or not signed yet.... and James Ihedigbo ,Baltimore.

resigned

3irty1
03-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Chris Clemons would be an ok addition; he's not a playmaker IMO but he's a student of the game who would be great to work with Burnett. Ted should really get off his ass and make an actual effort here. It sounds like Detroit and another team or two remain interested with Green Bay on the hibernation list.

Clemons is a guy you feel good about the fact that if you don't find your guy in the draft you aren't screwed.....as Ted left us last year going into the draft and then season. He's a capable starter. I wonder what he's asking for ?

The prices have some down; I wonder if he can be had for the 3MIL a year range.

I'm kind of surprised at his lack of demand. Guy has always looked like a steady performer to me but teams are treating him like he could be this years Michael Huff. If he only singed for 3M that would make me seriously question what GM's don't like.

red
03-14-2014, 08:36 AM
where are you even seeing that teams are interested in clemons?

i'm seeing zip for him, no interest or visits

i don't get that, unless his asking price is too high

honestly, we need to give nick a call and take a look at his neck for the first time in 2 or 3 year, at least see how it looks

denverYooper
03-14-2014, 08:36 AM
resigned

I see you've resigned to the necessity of this pun.

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
I see you've resigned to the necessity of this pun.

wash. rinse. repeat.

3irty1
03-14-2014, 08:50 AM
where are you even seeing that teams are interested in clemons?

i'm seeing zip for him, no interest or visits

i don't get that, unless his asking price is too high

honestly, we need to give nick a call and take a look at his neck for the first time in 2 or 3 year, at least see how it looks

I'm not seeing any interest for him either. I said this years Michael Huff because Huff was a particularly awful free agent signing last year.

Pugger
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM

And getting these injured players back in 2014 will be a nice shot in the arm too.

Pugger
03-14-2014, 10:46 AM

But most of us down here still root for the teams in the cities/states they came from. I don't know many 'Fin, Buc or Jag fans here in southwest FL - of course there is no NFL team in this part of the state.

Pugger
03-14-2014, 10:47 AM

I think Lang is better than some here seem to think. He isn't All-Pro by any stretch but I think we can win with him at RG.

Pugger
03-14-2014, 10:51 AM

He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He's a nice athlete and all but not a good football player IMO.

Fritz
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Ugh. Aaron Rouse 2.0?

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
And getting these injured players back in 2014 will be a nice shot in the arm too.

PEDs?

Pugger
03-14-2014, 11:07 AM
PEDs?

:lol:

But getting Worthy, Hayward and a healthy Perry back will do wonders for this defense IMO.

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm kind of surprised at his lack of demand. Guy has always looked like a steady performer to me but teams are treating him like he could be this years Michael Huff. If he only singed for 3M that would make me seriously question what GM's don't like.

Maybe my memory is shot..but weren't you pimping him ?

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 01:03 PM

The rook ? His measurables were WAY better than his performance

Jim Leonard would be a good presence in Green Bay.

3irty1
03-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Maybe my memory is shot..but weren't you pimping him ?

Absolutely.

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Absolutely.

Well then keep pimping !!!

I'm not sure he's a long term starter.....but we need a veteran to make the calls IMO back there and just let Burnett play. He provides that.

And then we don't feel like we "HAVE" to get a safety high in the draft because we suck so bad there.........then again...it didn't stop us from neglecting the position last year

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Well then keep pimping !!!

I'm not sure he's a long term starter.....but we need a veteran to make the calls IMO back there and just let Burnett play. He provides that.

And then we don't feel like we "HAVE" to get a safety high in the draft because we suck so bad there.........then again...it didn't stop us from neglecting the position last year

Yes and are we seeing TT and a repeat of that this off season?

All of packer nation knows it's a high priority that TT gets a solid safety to help out Morgan Burnett and here we are seeing TT ignore that position again. I mean we don't even get a murmer from Ted Thompson that he's aware of any need at Safety.

red
04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
what about Danieal Manning? anyone watch him lately?

he was cut by the texans. i remember early on he was deent for the bears, then he dropped off, and i haven't watched him since he went to the texans

is he even worth thinking about, or is he just as shitty as the shitty safeties we already have?

Guiness
04-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Texans wanted to keep him, just not for the $4.5M he was scheduled to make.

smuggler
04-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Better than MD Jennings. The Bears should sign him and just give us all their draft picks.

KYPack
04-02-2014, 07:37 AM
what about Danieal Manning? anyone watch him lately?

he was cut by the texans. i remember early on he was deent for the bears, then he dropped off, and i haven't watched him since he went to the texans

is he even worth thinking about, or is he just as shitty as the shitty safeties we already have?

Bengals signed him.

He's a little better than our shitty boys, but not worth the $ Cincy gave him.

A box safety, a banger that get's beat by being too aggressive.

mraynrand
04-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Bengals signed him.

He's a little better than our shitty boys, but not worth the $ Cincy gave him.

A box safety, a banger that get's beat by being too aggressive.

Is there enough tape to know Manning is better than Richardson?

KYPack
04-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Is there enough tape to know Manning is better than Richardson?

I'd hope Richardson surpasses Manning this season. Daniel is near the end of the trail. They are similar players. Both aggressive guys that can be whipped by a double move. Manning gets so paranoid that he goes into a shell after he gets beaten. Hopefully, Darren Perry can mold Richardson into a better answer than Manning would have been.