PDA

View Full Version : Raji re-signed...Now show me what you got!

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Per TomSilverstein

Packers NT B.J. Raji has accepted a deal to return to Green Bay, according to a source. Expected to be a one-year deal, could be incentives.

Part of the selling point to Raji was that he would be able to play a true NT position. Was at his best when he did that.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250370361.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szpnp_pSCs

red
03-14-2014, 02:55 PM
part of the selling point was that no one else in the entire nfl wanted him

red
03-14-2014, 03:02 PM
so, to sum up

we have now spent almost half of our available cap in order to keep together the defense that ranked dead last over the last half of the season, while not spending a single cent trying to fix or improve the defense

top notch

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 17m

Other teams interested in BJ Raji before he signed his deal with the #Packers? #Raiders and #Chiefs.

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:03 PM
so, to sum up

we have now spent almost half of our available cap in order to keep together the defense that ranked dead last over the last half of the season, while not spending a single cent trying to fix or improve the defense

top notch

Yea because its not like we had any injuries or anything.

denverYooper
03-14-2014, 03:06 PM
When TT was about to sign the contract, I wonder if he asked Raji to "reach in the bag and pull out his wallet"

http://www.bmfwallets.com/images/products/001.png

red
03-14-2014, 03:09 PM
omg here we go

injuries, injuries, injuries, injuries, injuries

we didn't win the super bowl-injuries
we were barely .500- injuries
the defense sucks- injuries
the defense looks confused-injuries
hawk sucks-injuries
raji sucks-injuries
shaper raped a bunch of chicks-injuries
we have no starting safety on the roster-injuries
burnett can't figure out who to cover allowing game winning TD-injuries
M3 can't adapt during games- injuries
team rarely comes out fired up or prepared to play-injuries

we've been plagued by injuries for about 5 years now. at some point people really need to accept that injuries happen in football and good teams find a way to adapt

red
03-14-2014, 03:12 PM
someone posted somewhere on here today a joke about TT and M3 trying to sign or draft injury prone guys so they always have in a built in excuse.

that joke might not be far from reality, because most fans are willing to swallow the injury excuse, hook-line ans sinker

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:12 PM
We didn't have our best two players for half the season but yea lets just ignore the injuries.

red
03-14-2014, 03:14 PM
We didn't have our best two players for half the season but yea lets just ignore the injuries.so the defense sucked because a-rod was injured

and mathews is the only guy that matters on defense

our defense was bad in 2012-injuries

defense is historically bad in 2011-injuries

quick giving the D and M3 and TT a free pass because some guys get injured every year. every team has injured players

SMBASS
03-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Since he's still one of ours I hope he gets his act together and has a good upcoming year but in my opinion I would have let him walk. The guy has about 1 1/2 or 2 decent years out of 5 and the last two have been complete crap. I don't have much hope that he's all of a sudden going to find some heart and turn into an impactful player this year. (Again, I hope I'm wrong.) I just think that 4M could have been used to sign someone on D who could have made more of an impact. I guess we'll see. I'm not going to have a fit about it or lose any sleep but it's not what I would have done.

Fritz
03-14-2014, 03:19 PM
I like the signing. If he plays nose tackle, it will play to his strengths. Hopefully, he's been humbled and will work harder to get that fat contract next time.

Packers can now draft a NT to groom and get into the rotation.

I like it.

Don't worry Red. The defense will be better this year. TT's gonna surprise you and sign Chris Clemons and draft a safety in the first three rounds.

Well, okay, maybe he won't.

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:20 PM
so the defense sucked because a-rod was injured

Nope, Hayward, Worthy, D. Jones, Perry, and Jolly also mattered but Clay just happens to be our best defensive player. I'm not saying the defense is perfect but FA is far from over and we still have the NFL draft. BTW which NT would you have signed over Raji in FA?

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Since he's still one of ours I hope he gets his act together and has a good upcoming year but in my opinion I would have let him walk. The guy has about 1 1/2 or 2 decent years out of 5 and the last two have been complete crap. I don't have much hope that he's all of a sudden going to find some heart and turn into an impactful player this year. (Again, I hope I'm wrong.) I just think that 4M could have been used to sign someone on D who could have made more of an impact. I guess we'll see. I'm not going to have a fit about it or lose any sleep but it's not what I would have done.

Pretty sure he was a stud his first 3 years in the league until we moved him to DE his last two seasons. BTW who would you have signed at NT instead of Raji?

red
03-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Nope, Hayward, Worthy, D. Jones, Perry, and Jolly also mattered but Clay just happens to be our best defensive player. I'm not saying the defense is perfect but FA is far from over and we still have the NFL draft. BTW which NT would you have signed over Raji in FA?

hayward is our #3 cb
worthy his shit
d.jones a rookie who chances are wasn't going to give you much this year any ways
perry is shit
jolly played almost the whole year, and the defense still sucked with him in there

which NT? someone that gives a shit when he's on the field and actually busts his ass. someone that tries

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2014, 03:32 PM
I like giving Raji a one year, show me contract and moving him back to NT.

red
03-14-2014, 03:34 PM
so if raji is our NT, does that mean no more pickett?

SMBASS
03-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Pretty sure he was a stud his first 3 years in the league until we moved him to DE his last two seasons. BTW who would you have signed at NT instead of Raji?

I don't think he had much impact his rookie year because he held out, only started one game and played somewhat sparingly, (2009). I thought his best year was 2010, he played okay in 2011, and he didn't do much at all in 2012 or 2013. (Everything I read on here says he plays 3 tech which is not a true DE. Personally I don't really care what you call it because most of the time football boils down to lining up, beating the man in front of you, and making a play.) I haven't seen Raji beating single team blocking for the past couple of years so I'm not sure how putting him at NT and expecting him to take on double teams and hold the point of attack is supposed to work.

I probably would have looked to either draft a true NT or sign a cheaper free agent. It's water under the bridge now so I'm not going to go back and research everyone who was or still is available but my opinion is that you could have either drafted or signed someone who can play just as well as Raji has, (or better) for less money. Like I said, we'll see and I hope he has a good year.

Zool
03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
so if raji is our NT, does that mean no more pickett?

Ideally I think they would rotate the 2 but money will probably dictate.

Tony Oday
03-14-2014, 04:01 PM

Well it can be said that when AR is in and the Pack run the score high other teams have to throw and our defense is put in the enviable position of not having to worry about the run and play in a formation that gets Wist hot and bothered to the point of autoeroticaphixation

3irty1
03-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Don't shit your pants quite yet Red. In 2006 Ryan Pickett was signed March 15th. Charles Woodson on April 26th. Free Agency started March 3rd.

Smeefers
03-14-2014, 05:17 PM

Raji didn't play often his rookie year. He was a beast his second year and his third was good until he started to fizzle. 2012 was a bad year all around for him. Last year he started strong but everyone blew the hell up after game 4. I like the signing. He has a ton of potential, but he hasn't showed it lately.

3irty1
03-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Patler pointed out the other day that he couldn't think of a single instance of a big man turning it around and that got me thinking. I hope Raji we haven't overworked Raji in his first few years and worn him down like an early 2000's running back. The big guy should be a lot more stout at this point in his career. I'll pay a year to find out what he can do though.

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 17m

Other teams interested in BJ Raji before he signed his deal with the #Packers? #Raiders and #Chiefs.

Until the smell of the bullshit became overwhelming.

The entire NFC ignored him just hoping that TT would error in bringing him back for what....$4 million$ and Ohh Yes...incentives.

Priceless!

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 06:46 PM
bottom line: there is nothing physically wrong with Raji. While it makes sense to be skeptical about him playing as well as in 2010, there is also reason to be optimistic that he will bring better effort this year, UYAW.*

UYAW = unless you are Wist

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-14-2014, 08:50 PM
I like the signing. How can he not play his ass off this year? Let someone else pay him next year.

SMBASS
03-14-2014, 08:58 PM
I like the signing. How can he not play his ass off this year? Let someone else pay him next year.

As I said earlier, I hope he plays like a man possessed but the caveat for me is that he had everything to play his ass off for this year and he mailed it in.

Smidgeon
03-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Prediction: Raji will start like gangbusters the first five games. Then he'll tear a pectoral, be out for the season, be signed by someone else in free agency next year, and we'll be hearing "Why'd TT let Raji go?" for years...

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 09:05 PM

So he plays outstanding this season and about game 12 TT opens the bank and overpays him.

He then does a WTF and lays an egg once the money is his. This isn't a man we need at DT. He quit on himself and the Packers already and he'll likely do it again. There's something wrong with the maturity level of BJ Raji. He's obviously got issues to quit as he did last season.

I'd much rather that TT spent the money on a man that wantS to be a Green BAY PACKER.

Guiness
03-14-2014, 09:12 PM

our defense was bad in 2012-injuries

defense is historically bad in 2011-injuries

quick giving the D and M3 and TT a free pass because some guys get injured every year. every team has injured players

If you think Rodgers being out doesn't hurt the defense, you aren't paying attention.

gbgary
03-14-2014, 09:21 PM
so, to sum up

top notch

we started with 33m and it's down to 24m i believe. lots left...to sign cobb and nelson, sign rookies, and roll over to next year. lol

Smidgeon
02-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Prediction: Raji will start like gangbusters the first five games. Then he'll tear a pectoral, be out for the season, be signed by someone else in free agency next year, and we'll be hearing "Why'd TT let Raji go?" for years...

Well, I got that he'd get a season ending injury right. Just not how many games we'd get out of him first.

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Well, I got that he'd get a season ending injury right. Just not how many games we'd get out of him first.

He tore his biceps, so I'll give you 1 out of 3.

Smidgeon
02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
He tore his biceps, so I'll give you 1 out of 3.

I'll take a 1 out of 3. I'm usually never right in the prognostication category (had to remove the Brad Jones/Andrew Quarless/the fullback whose last name started with Q Fan Clubs from my signature list).

pbmax
02-11-2015, 09:45 PM
I thought red would be in here having a cardiac event after Ted signed him to another 1 year deal.

smuggler
02-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Are you talking about Quinn Johnson, smigeon, or Ina Liaina?

call_me_ishmael
02-12-2015, 12:25 AM
I'm surprised they did this before Randall and Bulaga. Oh well, it was pretty much a given after the pics for Letroy Guion surfaced. I'm happy he's back.

Joemailman
02-12-2015, 06:05 AM
I'm surprised they did this before Randall and Bulaga. Oh well, it was pretty much a given after the pics for Letroy Guion surfaced. I'm happy he's back.

Check the date (year) of this thread. :-)

Smidgeon
02-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Are you talking about Quinn Johnson, smigeon, or Ina Liaina?

Quinn Johnson. I always forget his name.

But my track record has basically doomed both Casey Hayward and Jeff Janis.

The Smidgeon Smack of Sadness.

mraynrand
02-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Check the date (year) of this thread. :-)

I hate it when people dig up old threads

pbmax
02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I hate it when people dig up old threads

Agree. This board effectively ended my application to replace Slocum as Special Teams coach two years ago.