PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Dietrich-Smith...signs with TB.

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Tom Silverstein #Packers lose their first free agent. C Evan Dietrich-Smith is signing with Tampa Bay, according to an NFL source.

Zool
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Well at least there's hope that someone at the C position can hold their ground cause that wasn't EDS.

denverYooper
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Damn dude. I was just about to post it.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m

The #Bucs agreed to terms with G/C Evan Dietrich-Smith, they announced. Source says it’s a 4-year deal worth $14.25M overall.

Fritz
03-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Tom Silverstein #Packers lose their first free agent. C Evan Dietrich-Smith is signing with Tampa Bay, according to an NFL source.

Goodbye, Erectile Dysfunction-Smith.

This suggests the Pack likes Tretter, and will scrounge up another late round/UFA former small school tackle whom they will convert.

Hope Aaron Rodgers isn't mad that he doesn't have EDS. I can't see how he or any guy would be.

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Honestly I'd rather have Tretter then EDS, if he can stay healthy I think he'll be an upgrade.

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Bulaga back at LT, Bakh moves to guard? Lang and Tretter battle it out for starting C job? Or Bulaga back to RT?

red
03-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Bulaga back at LT, Bakh moves to guard? Lang and Tretter battle it out for starting C job? Or Bulaga back to RT?

i wouldn't want to move bakh to guard, he needs to be one starting center. barclay is a backup imo

and i honestly have no clue which guy should be LT and which guy should be RT

wish we could have seen abit more of bulaga at LT

i would think, bahk should stay at LT and move bulaga back to where he's always played

Joemailman
03-14-2014, 04:13 PM
i wouldn't want to move bakh to guard, he needs to be one starting center. barclay is a backup imo

and i honestly have no clue which guy should be LT and which guy should be RT

wish we could have seen abit more of bulaga at LT

i would think, bahk should stay at LT and move bulaga back to where he's always played

Yep. Bulaga should be at RT. If he gets hurt again, you have an experienced guy in Barclay to take over. Let Bakh and Sherrod battle at LT.

I'm glad they let EDS go. He was JAG. If Tretter is the player they hope he is, perhaps Arod can finally have some continuity at Center.

3irty1
03-14-2014, 04:49 PM
I liked EDS but paying him keeps Tretter on the bench and Tretter can be a difference maker. Guy is just as mean as EDS but bigger, faster, and much much smarter.

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 05:04 PM
EDS is not worth that money in our system

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 05:04 PM
We can save the money and spend it on a safety :)

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM
How do I feel about this!?

Of course I hoped the bleeding at Center would stop. I hoped that TT might retain E D-S inspite of much Packerrat opposition to that. why is it that if any Packer is appearing close to being let go he's a bum !?Tampa Bay must be judged not smart to sign our OL zero. A player not even considered as a LG..RG..C ( backup )....or for our OL depth.

TT bounces another center and of course because that happens Green Bay Packer fans are glad he's gone...E D-S was next to useless. The status quo reigns supreme on this loss in FA. So where are we @ center Wells >>>Saturday>>>Evan Dierich - Smith and now who? An NFL inexperienced.............. Cornell " really smart guy " ...J C Tretter ...wonderful. We're sure that's the right move why? He has how much NFL experience...experience as an NFLO center?

I'm guessing that E D-S's versatility on the OL didn't factor in!? I'm guessing that the Packers Developmental Program left much to be desired with Evan Dietrich-smith @ center.

On the plus side for E D-S. Obviously he gets decent money at and average of $3.5625 Million$ avg. for four (4) years which is good for a center on his first dip into Free Agency. E D-S changes Bay teams. The weather will be nice in Tampa Bay...as will be the golf.

Bye Bye Evan Dietrich - Smith and Good Luck on your new Bay team.

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Like BJ Raji, I don't think EDS wanted to come back to Green Bay. But somebody was willing to pay EDS

QBME
03-14-2014, 05:30 PM
I liked EDS but paying him keeps Tretter on the bench and Tretter can be a difference maker. Guy is just as mean as EDS but bigger, faster, and much much smarter.

This

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Maybe next off season we'll see TT get that done.

I can't wait for the 2014 season to begin.

Another new Center ...Ohh Boy !

this time we have "a SMART Center". That seems good.

Does a smart center stay longer than all MM and the OL coach had to deal with?

We'll see !

red
03-14-2014, 05:39 PM
eds was just a jag, but i'd really like to know can be tretter can be any better

the fact is, we don't know, we've haven't really seen him do anything

and i'm really uncomfortable with not knowing if the guy we're planning on being the anchor of our line can even play that position or not

Patler
03-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I sort of hoped EDS would be back, just for continuity. At least we knew the offense could roll with EDS there, we don't know if Tretter can do it or not. Maybe it will be better, maybe it will be dysfunctional. If EDS had been a bit cheaper, they could have let he and Tretter fight it out for the starting job.

Oh well, no different than Bulaga going down in TC last year. At least they have lots of time to get someone ready, Tretter or someone else. I'm anxious to watch Tretter. At draft time last year, most evaluations commented on his intensity and smarts. Good combo for a center. Hope it translates to the NFL.

red
03-14-2014, 05:40 PM

i have a bad feeling we're gonna be sitting here next year saying "boy, maybe TT will address that safety problem this year"

SMBASS
03-14-2014, 05:41 PM
eds was just a jag, but i'd really like to know can be tretter can be any better

the fact is, we don't know, we've haven't really seen him do anything

and i'm really uncomfortable with not knowing if the guy we're planning on being the anchor of our line can even play that position or not

That's exactly what I was thinking Red. Never cared much for EDS and I hope Tretter ends up being a stud, but considering he's never even played a down in the NFL how in the hell do we have any idea what he's capable of?

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Like BJ Raji, I don't think EDS wanted to come back to Green Bay. But somebody was willing to pay EDS

He wasn't coming back to a team and GM that doesn't even offer him the respect of some decency and an offer.

highlander
03-14-2014, 06:45 PM
He wasn't coming back to a team and GM that doesn't even offer him the respect of some decency and an offer.

really! how many players leave the team because they go for the money. You think TT likes this process . EDS got his money I'm sure TT and the Packers wished him luck. You act like you know all the conversations that go on behind the scenes. Your hate for TT is making you a bitter Packer fan.

Joemailman
03-14-2014, 06:47 PM

Never let the facts get in your way of TT hate. The Packers did talk to EDS. They just couldn't agree on a price. So EDS left. It's called free agency.

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 06:48 PM
NFC South: double-tie and tape your shoe laces.

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Oh well, no different than Bulaga going down in TC last year.

Really? I think not even close to similar. Packers moved the line to accommodate a shift of Bulaga to the left side. Packers this year seem pretty comfortable letting EDS walk.

pbmax
03-14-2014, 07:18 PM
EDS was quick enough to pass block OK (he could get bulled) and double team and hit a linebacker. He could also block down. That's not much of a resume.

If Tretter can pass block, its going to be net plus to have him out there.

And before runtnstrut gets here to say it, I think the Packers are better positioned to handle this exit than Wells. In addition to a 4th round draft pick waiting, they have Lang and Barclay who have already worked there. Plus a guy on a futures contract who could give you some depth.

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 07:25 PM
EDS was quick enough to pass block OK (he could get bulled) and double team and hit a linebacker. He could also block down. That's not much of a resume.

And before runtnstrut gets here to say it, I think the Packers are better positioned to handle this exit than Wells. In addition to a 4th round draft pick waiting, they have Lang and Barclay who have already worked there. Plus a guy on a futures contract who could give you some depth.

We'll also get some future compensation for E D-S.

I'm not surprized that he signed elsewhere as he didn't seem wanted in Green Bay.

I'm absolutely stunned that TT signed BJ Raji.

How TT expects Raji to rebound fr. the last two seasons (and especially the ugly "no play" of last season; and if he does !? "Hold onto him" is beyond me.

BJ Raji simply ran into a wall along the way and that wall just got higher and thicker.

Rutnstrut
03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I love how some of you guys have no idea how difficult it is to start over with a new center all the time. If it means sticking up for the dumb ass TT you all would back anything. Granted EDS wasn't awesome, but he was solid.

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I love how some of you guys have no idea how difficult it is to start over with a new center all the time. If it means sticking up for the dumb ass TT you all would back anything. Granted EDS wasn't awesome, but he was solid.

Patience. :-)

Rutnstrut
03-14-2014, 08:10 PM

The one thing NO ONE takes into account, is the center/QB comfort with each other. You don't replicate that in practice, also the calls an experienced center makes saves the QB's ass. TT signs Raji who isn't worth two shits, and lets a solid player walk. You guys stay on the TT ball sack fest, I'll continue to call it like it is, he isn't that great of a GM.

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 08:18 PM
The one thing NO ONE takes into account, is the center/QB comfort with each other. You don't replicate that in practice, also the calls an experienced center makes saves the QB's ass. TT signs Raji who isn't worth two shits, and lets a solid player walk. You guys stay on the TT ball sack fest, I'll continue to call it like it is, he isn't that great of a GM.

Ted Thompson is far far too conservative. He's far far too anal in his approach to being an NFL GM.

Translation:

He has small balls.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-14-2014, 08:54 PM
I like that we didn't offer him what he signed. I think Tretter will play great.

Joemailman
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Last year was EDS' first full year as starting Center. Rodgers didn't seem to have much trouble adjusting.

Rutnstrut
03-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Last year was EDS' first full year as starting Center. Rodgers didn't seem to have much trouble adjusting.

Yeah, because that experience he gained after they benched Saturday probably didn't help at all.

Carolina_Packer
03-14-2014, 10:22 PM
I like that we didn't offer him what he signed. I think Tretter will play great.

I don't know about the second part, but I agree with the first part. What I do like about TT is that he will not hurt the cap to bid on someone he may already have a replacement for on his own roster.

There are nothing but what ifs...none of us know. EDS may be at his absolute ceiling talent/production-wise. Tretter may become our next Jim Ringo (albeit a bit bigger :-), who knows? Overpay for the special players, not guys that can be more easily replaced. Don't panic because you have a guy who has a little bit of experience, but is worth more to another team. They don't typically let the really important ones walk away. We'll see how it pans out for them.

bobblehead
03-14-2014, 10:33 PM
I'll be a contrarion on this point. I wish we had EDS for that contract. I think he would be great backup G/C. I just think you aquire football players for good prices because you don't know what will happen. Same reason I want James Jones back for 4.5million a year.

That being said, i want Tretter to be better than him, and I would want that contract on the bench, and I think EDS is aware of that, and he likely wouldn't have signed that same deal for GB without being assured he is the starting center.

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't know about the second part, but I agree with the first part. What I do like about TT is that he will not hurt the cap to bid on someone he may already have a replacement for on his own roster.

There are nothing but what ifs...none of us know. EDS may be at his absolute ceiling talent/production-wise. Tretter may become our next Jim Ringo (albeit a bit bigger :-), who knows? Overpay for the special players, not guys that can be more easily replaced. Don't panic because you have a guy who has a little bit of experience, but is worth more to another team. They don't typically let the really important ones walk away. We'll see how it pans out for them.

Exactly, EDS is JAG who can be easily replaced. Tretter played TE his first two seasons at Cornell so that tells you how much more athletic we'll be at that position next season. After seeing Bakhtiari step in as a rookie last season I don't see why Tretter won't be able to have the same success playing a easier position.

Bretsky
03-14-2014, 10:58 PM
I'll be a contrarion on this point. I wish we had EDS for that contract. I think he would be great backup G/C. I just think you aquire football players for good prices because you don't know what will happen. Same reason I want James Jones back for 4.5million a year.

That being said, i want Tretter to be better than him, and I would want that contract on the bench, and I think EDS is aware of that, and he likely wouldn't have signed that same deal for GB without being assured he is the starting center.

IMO if we were willing to pay Jones that he'd have already signed; I doubt he gets that

PlantPage55
03-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Well, I'm torn on this one and to tell you the truth, the difference lies entirely in the fact that Tretter didn't make it through the first week of anything. Not his fault, but it tells us nothing beyond what his draft scouting report and tape told us. Overall, I'm a TT fan, and also believe in young talent being given opportunities - I just don't like when you allow your hand to be forced like this. It was a bad time for EDS' contract to be up. Never let it be said that TT isn't a risk-taker. I'm just not sure they're the fun, sexy kinds of risks.

On the other hand, everyone here is absolutely right - we should aim a lot higher than what EDS gave us. He got bullied out there more than you'd like. I sometimes wondered whether we'd overuse that stupid toss, because EDS couldn't make hay for our RBs often enough. I don't think he had a great attitude. So why does a team like Tampa sign him if we don't think he's that good? Well, he's battle-tested and proven - and to teams that are just starting out with new coaches and a lot of holes that IS something.

I guess what I'll say is I'm very cautiously optimistic that Tretter can't be much worse than Saturday was, and we muddled through with him for a while. What's the worst that could happen? He physically can't snap a football or something?

Yeah, it sucks. I know it sucks. But at the end of the day, I'll bet we'll look at a stat line and still see couple TDs from Rodg, 70-80 yards at least from Lacy, and happy WRs. Tretter may lose some battles, but I'm not sure the final offensive product will look worse.

Guiness
03-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Well, I just hope Tretter works out, and sticks for a while.

This will be the 4th center (Wells, Saturday, EDS, Tretter?) in four years. That can't be good, for Rodgers or the rest of the line (thinking calls at the LOS)

Brandon494
03-15-2014, 01:41 AM
We get Bulaga back so even if Tretter fails, which I highly doubt, we can still have a starting line of Bulaga, Sitton, Lang, Barc, Bakh or Bulaga, Sitton, Lang, Bakh, Sherrod. I believe in the end it will be Bulaga, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bakh and that has the potential to be a damn good line.

Carolina_Packer
03-15-2014, 06:47 AM
I think the front office knew what they had in EDS, and they still let him walk. Had he not received that kind of offer, I wonder if they would have asked him back at a more reasonable, cap-friendly price, and if he would have accepted. If he would have gotten to that point, all things being equal, he may have decided to stay in Green Bay, because of familiarity and confidence that he would have solidified the starting job. But he did get his money and good for him. I hope he does well in Tampa.

In this case, it was not only the giving of the contract, which Green Bay could have afforded, but having a guy on the roster who was OK, not special, who would have been earning more than a guy who if given a shot may be a better long-term option. It was worth the dice roll to find out.

woodbuck27
03-15-2014, 08:04 AM
I think the front office knew what they had in EDS, and they still let him walk. Had he not received that kind of offer, I wonder if they would have asked him back at a more reasonable, cap-friendly price, and if he would have accepted. If he would have gotten to that point, all things being equal, he may have decided to stay in Green Bay, because of familiarity and confidence that he would have solidified the starting job. But he did get his money and good for him. I hope he does well in Tampa.

In this case, it was not only the giving of the contract, which Green Bay could have afforded, but having a guy on the roster who was OK, not special, who would have been earning more than a guy who if given a shot may be a better long-term option. It was worth the dice roll to find out.

I think that TT's position in this Off Season and FA was/is to let the cards fall as they may. If a Packer UFA can get more elsewhere that TT feels he doesn't want or need to match then so be it.

This may very well be a season to simply take stock in and a start to a brand new 3 and 5 year plan. It's like life and living correctly. You allow the past to be just that and assess that in terms of trial and error or success. It really must come down to what are you going to do this day (TODAY) to achieve a certain goal (purpose) tomorrow.

One thing is possible going to be a for sure if Ted thompson actually delivers and that's to get WR's Jordy Nelson and/or Randall Cobb resigned in this Off Season for 3-4 more seasons. TT needs and will have a nucleus of talent on 'O' that he can rely on. That HC Mike Mccarthy can rely on for his teams offense.

If TT can ink Nelson and/or Cobb and Jarrett Boykin is for real (see UFA and Packer vet WR James Jones on his way elsewhere). With Eddie Lacy at RB and right now DuJuan Harris and Johnathan Franklin (see UFA James Starks looking for an offer elsewhere); and TE Andrew Quarless resigned. That's a lot done. After all the Packers don't dip much into the FA pool of castoff's; even though real talent is there at a higher cost than Ted Thompson's style can deal with.

Right now TT doesn't have a FB and John Kuhn has been reliable. He was on my personal wish list along with Sam Shields, **Mike Neal, **James Jones and ** C.J. Wilson.

** Unsigned as of last night or Friday 14 march,2014.

By the way... ALL YOU Packerrats that are of Irish heritage ... HAPPY ST. Patrick's Weekend and St. PATTY's DAY on Monday 17 March, '14.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY0ZuXL2bczRqrgVVy50z3vlfBXtLPH 6UDBdZrVP9FU3GlLKNi

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !

run pMc
03-15-2014, 04:38 PM
4 years, 14.5M for EDS is too much. Good for him for getting paid, especially since he was a UDFA that bounced around (GB, SEA, someplace else IIRC), but he's not worth that money when you have a guy (Tretter) already on the roster who you are excited about. I worry about the 1st day of camp injury thing, but the coaches talked the guy up and he had several weeks to play scout against the #1 D, so they must've seen something in Tretter. EDS wasn't bad at C, but he wasn't great either. Signing him to a matching contract would've made him the Hawk/B.Jones of the OL. You think he's ok, but you're always wanting to replace him. So save the money and replace him already.

As for Bulaga, I thought M3 already said (post-combine) that he was keeping Bahktiari at LT and moving Bulaga back to RT. I personally like that move; Bulaga has struggled with speed and he'd probably see a lot more of that at LT than RT. M3 also was possessed by the spirit of McGinn's journalistic talents and mentioned they want Bahktiari to get bigger and stronger this year, which should help him at LT.

So this makes your starting OL heading into TC Bahktiari Sitton Tretter Lang Bulaga
which should be good enough to get Lacy 1200 yards.

The backup plan behind Tretter will be interesting to watch...I think they'll give Barclay every chance to solidify there since APRH he won't be at RT anymore and they like him. He's limited, and maybe moving inside will mask that. I have no idea if he can do it though -- I thought I read somewhere that his shotgun snaps were scary dreadful.

Patler
03-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Thing is, Rodgers experience with EDS as his center is basically 10 regular season games and 3 playoff games.

Overall, EDS is not an experienced center either. He was a tackle in college, with some play at guard. Until he took over for Saturday at the end of 2012, he had more playing time at guard in the NFL than at center. Last year at this time the Packers openly expressed doubts about whether or not EDS could handle the starting job full-time. He seemed to do OK last year, but if they weren't convinced he was the center for their future, I can understand their willingness to move on now and try to find the guy who is, rather than using more money on a guy who isn't what they want.

I don't know if it will be right or wrong, but a fact of the NFL today is that the better teams continually lose starters and have to compensate for it.

Patler
03-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Interesting that you bring up Jim Ringo. Many thought Lombardi was out of his mind when he traded the guy who had been 1st team All-Pro for the last umpteen years. A guy who went on to play four more seasons in Philadelphia, with more all-pro seasons there. Ringo had been the only center Bart Starr had played with. Yet, they made it work by using a tackle (Bob Skoronski) and two rookies in Bill Curry and Ken Bowman.

Fritz
03-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Ken Bowman turned out to be a pretty good player. But what did the Pack get for Ringo?

As for EDS, whoever said he'd be the Hawk/Jones of the offensive line is correct. So again, why overpay for someone who is "meh"?

My guess is TT drafts another project-type guy somewhere in the middle of this draft to play center and compete for a backup spot as a center/guard.

I do think it was Barclay whose shotgun snaps where awful.

Joemailman
03-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Ken Bowman turned out to be a pretty good player. But what did the Pack get for Ringo?

As for EDS, whoever said he'd be the Hawk/Jones of the offensive line is correct. So again, why overpay for someone who is "meh"?

My guess is TT drafts another project-type guy somewhere in the middle of this draft to play center and compete for a backup spot as a center/guard.

I do think it was Barclay whose shotgun snaps where awful.

That's right, but only for really the first week of training camp. Once Bulaga got hurt on Family Night, Barclay spent most of his time at RT. They might not be done experimenting with him at Center.

Fritz
03-16-2014, 09:22 AM
We can rebuild him. We can make him better, stronger, faster. We can make him snap the ball better.

Patler
03-16-2014, 09:33 AM

LeRoy Caffey, as I recall. Big part of their defense after that.

Patler
03-16-2014, 09:41 AM
The packers got more than just Caffey, but gave up more than just Ringo:

In the deal with the Eagles, the Packers gave up fullback Earl Gros along with Ringo and acquired young linebacker Lee Roy Caffey, who would go on to be an All-Pro himself and a first round draft choice that eventually became fullback Donny Anderson, who made a Pro Bowl as a Packer. Caffey and Anderson are both in the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame. - See more at: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/02/sports-legend-revealed-did-vince-lombardi-trade-a-player-five-minutes-after-learning-the-player-hire.html#sthash.zYeYIPWe.dpuf

Bossman641
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
4 years, 14.5M for EDS is too much. Good for him for getting paid, especially since he was a UDFA that bounced around (GB, SEA, someplace else IIRC), but he's not worth that money when you have a guy (Tretter) already on the roster who you are excited about. I worry about the 1st day of camp injury thing, but the coaches talked the guy up and he had several weeks to play scout against the #1 D, so they must've seen something in Tretter. EDS wasn't bad at C, but he wasn't great either. Signing him to a matching contract would've made him the Hawk/B.Jones of the OL. You think he's ok, but you're always wanting to replace him. So save the money and replace him already.

As for Bulaga, I thought M3 already said (post-combine) that he was keeping Bahktiari at LT and moving Bulaga back to RT. I personally like that move; Bulaga has struggled with speed and he'd probably see a lot more of that at LT than RT. M3 also was possessed by the spirit of McGinn's journalistic talents and mentioned they want Bahktiari to get bigger and stronger this year, which should help him at LT.

So this makes your starting OL heading into TC Bahktiari Sitton Tretter Lang Bulaga
which should be good enough to get Lacy 1200 yards.

The backup plan behind Tretter will be interesting to watch...I think they'll give Barclay every chance to solidify there since APRH he won't be at RT anymore and they like him. He's limited, and maybe moving inside will mask that. I have no idea if he can do it though -- I thought I read somewhere that his shotgun snaps were scary dreadful.

Dead on. Barclay will be trained as the utility lineman. Bulaga is returning to rt and sherrod will hopefully push bakh.

Patler
03-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Woodbuck;

I have to disagree with what seems to be the implication in your post that in some way the Packers were not fair to EDS. First, it is not at all clear to me that they did not make him an offer. Several articles said the team was trying hard to keep him. That would seem to suggest that they were in contract discussions. Beside that, we know the following:

- The Packers gave him his first opportunity when they signed him as an undrafted rookie and kept him around for a year.
- They gave him his third opportunity when they brought him back to GB after he had been cut from Seattle's practice squad.
- They gave him opportunities to be a back up.
- They turned over the starting center job to him during the season and benched a proud, long time pro-bowl player to do it.
- They gave him the chance to prove himself as a regular starter, and to thereby secure a lucrative contract.

It seems to me EDS should appreciate all the chances GB gave him. That doesn't mean that he should have given in to whatever they offered him, but it doesn't seem to me that he should have any animosity toward them either.

Teams have to decide how to spend a limited pool of money, and a player has to decide if he wants to stay somewhere for perhaps less money, or go to where he gets more. It's neither the players fault nor the teams fault when it doesn't work out.

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Caffey played a whale of a game in the Ice Bowl.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree with the school of thought that puts Bulaga back at starting right tackle. Barclay can probablg backup four of the five oline spots. If Sherrod truly is done, leave Bakhtiari over on the left and Bulaga can swing over if needed.

KYPack
03-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Caffey played a whale of a game in the Ice Bowl.

Caffey and Donny Anderson never get the credit they deserve for the great games they played in the Ice Bowl.

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Caffey and Donny Anderson never get the credit they deserve for the great games they played in the Ice Bowl.

Caffey passed away before he could milk it like, say, Jerry Kramer. But he endorsed vitamins for a a few greenbacks, so he did alright for a while...

Guiness
03-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Thing is, Rodgers experience with EDS as his center is basically 10 regular season games and 3 playoff games.

Overall, EDS is not an experienced center either. He was a tackle in college, with some play at guard. Until he took over for Saturday at the end of 2012, he had more playing time at guard in the NFL than at center. Last year at this time the Packers openly expressed doubts about whether or not EDS could handle the starting job full-time. He seemed to do OK last year, but if they weren't convinced he was the center for their future, I can understand their willingness to move on now and try to find the guy who is, rather than using more money on a guy who isn't what they want.

I don't know if it will be right or wrong, but a fact of the NFL today is that the better teams continually lose starters and have to compensate for it.

It seems that the talking heads, and as it turns out, at least one GM, valued him a fair amount higher than the Pack did. Most of us scoffed when he seemed to be consistenly ranked as a top 10, or even top 5 center. But he got money commensurate with that, $3.5M is good coin for a center.

Damn well done for a former UDFA - he spent a year on the Packers ps, but was cut during TC by both the Packers and Seahawks the next year. He got picked up as a late season injury replacement with the Pack in 2010, just in time to get a ring - and now he gets a solid contract.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
He's a decent player, and not a liability or anything. That's worth it for a lot of teams. The Packers have a huge boner for Tretter at center it seems.

woodbuck27
03-16-2014, 10:12 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Ringo#Philadelphia_Eagles

Jim Ringo (traded by Vince Lombardi 1963, along with " FB Earl Gros " to the Philadelphia Eagles after 126 consecutive games as a Green Bay Packer (1954-63 ). In return the Packers got LB Lee Roy Caffey and a 1965 1st Rd. draft pick (7th overall) that became FB Donny Anderson.

Ringo finished out his career with the Philadelphia Eagles, attending three more Pro Bowls before retiring after the 1967 season.

Jim Ringo Career Highlights:

10× Pro Bowl selection (1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961,
1962, 1963, ( ** 1964, 1965, 1967 ) ** Philadelphia Eagles

2× NFL champion (1961, 1962)

6× AP First-Team All-Pro (1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963)

3× AP Second-Team All-Pro (1958 green bay Packers) and (1964, 1966 Eagles)

NFL 1960s All-Decade Team

Pro Football HOF inductee (1981)

Eagles HOF inductee (1987)

Coaching career: Chicago Bears, Off. Line, (1969-1971)
Buffalo Bills, Off. Line, (1972-1976); Buffalo Bills, Head Coach (1976-1977)
New England Patriots, Off. Line, (1978); New England Patriots, Off. Coordinator/Off. Line, (1979-1981)

Los Angeles Rams, Off. Line, (1982); New York Jets, Off. Line, (1983-1984)
Buffalo Bills, Off. Coordinator, (1985-1988)

Career NFL statistics: Games played 187

Coaching record: 3-20

Lee Roy Caffey Green Bay Packers 1964-1969:

Green Bay Packers 1965 NFL Champions

Green Bay Packers Super Bowl I Champions

Green Bay Packers Super Bowl II Champions

Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Inductees

1970 Chicago Bears

[B]1971 Dallas cowboys...Super Bowl VI Champions ( January 16, 1972 ... Dallas 24 - Miami 3 )

1972 San Diego Chargers

Donnie Anderson as a Green Bay Packer:

Donnie Anderson drafted in 1965 Rd. 1 Pick #7 overall by the World Champion Green Bay Packers. and fellow All-American Jim Grabowski, FB, Illinois; the Packers' first pick in the 1966 NFL Draft, and ninth overall.

** Donnie Anderson and jim Grabowski were dubbed the "Gold Dust Twins" being projected as the successors of HOFers [B]Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor.

** In Super Bowl I, Anderson's knee knocked out Chiefs defensive back Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, who had been boastful in pre-game interviews.

** Donnie Anderson originated the concept of hang time in punting. In 1967, the left-footed Anderson punted 66 times and 63 of them by Anderson and he averaged only 36.6 yards/punt that year. Opponents were able to return only 13 of them for a total of 22 yards, or about 1/3 yard per punt. Other NFL Punters followed Donnie Anderson's style of extended hang time punting. Eventually the NFL changed its rules governing punt coverage, to restore the ability to return punts.

** In February 1972, Anderson was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for RB MacArthur Lane

After retirement from the NFL Donnie Anderson spent nearly two decades on the celebrity golf tour.

Donnie Anderson's achievements as a Green Bay Packer:

1× Pro Bowl selection; 2× NFL Champion (1966, 1967); 2× Super Bowl Champion (I, II)

PACKERS HOF

FB Earl Gros: I can't find much on this former Green Bay Packer.

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Woody, here's an article from Packer Plus from April 2013. Earl Gros passed in July 2013, notable because he he declined contribution to the article...probably just wanted to be left in peace. RIP former Packer. He was a big back coming out of LSU in 1962, and had a solid, if not unspectacular NFL career, but as mentioned in the article, a 9 year career is nothing to sneeze at. EDS would probably be happy for a 9 year career. Here's the article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/gros-victimized-by-a-crowded-backfield-569ijol-204402271.html

woodbuck27
03-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Woodbuck;

I have to disagree with what seems to be the implication in your post that in some way the Packers were not fair to EDS. First, it is not at all clear to me that they did not make him an offer. Several articles said the team was trying hard to keep him. That would seem to suggest that they were in contract discussions. Beside that, we know the following:

- The Packers gave him his first opportunity when they signed him as an undrafted rookie and kept him around for a year.
- They gave him his third opportunity when they brought him back to GB after he had been cut from Seattle's practice squad.
- They gave him opportunities to be a back up.
- They turned over the starting center job to him during the season and benched a proud, long time pro-bowl player to do it.
- They gave him the chance to prove himself as a regular starter, and to thereby secure a lucrative contract.

It seems to me EDS should appreciate all the chances GB gave him. That doesn't mean that he should have given in to whatever they offered him, but it doesn't seem to me that he should have any animosity toward them either.

Teams have to decide how to spend a limited pool of money, and a player has to decide if he wants to stay somewhere for perhaps less money, or go to where he gets more. It's neither the players fault nor the teams fault when it doesn't work out.

We'll maybe find out something later on how this whole Evan Dietrich smith thing went down. I just have this that informs me that The Packers had lost interest in E D-S:

*** http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/tag/_/name/evan-dietrich-smith

RE: Michael Federman @mikejfed

@ RobDemovsky #PackersMail ... Where are we headed at Center? They wouldn't just hand Tretter the job, right?

If the Packers ( Russ Ball /' Ted Thompson) made an offer to E-DS? Did we learn of that as a fact?

" The bottom line with Evan Dietrich-Smith is the Packers never seemed sold on him as a long-term prospect, so it would seem that they've been planning for ways to replace him for a while now. . . ." LINK

That doesn't seem like the Green bay Packers made an offer to E D-S, Patler.

I didn't read anything of the sort and an offer to a versatile offensive lineman and last years starting center... Evan Dietrich - Smith. It simply appears to me based on al I can gleen. That the Packers just let Evan Dietrich-Smith ....walk away. Thatb teir confident they have his replacement in JC Tretter and already have a plan in place for any backup need at Center. (Lang and Barkley to work more as a backup @ center).

He quietly went about his business and suddenly he signed " a 4 Yr. contract " with The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with $7.25 Million$ in gurantees. :

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/3/14/5509618/buccaneers-sign-evan-dietrich-smith-to-four-year-contract

woodbuck27
03-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Woody, here's an article from Packer Plus from April 2013. Earl Gros passed in July 2013, notable because he he declined contribution to the article...probably just wanted to be left in peace. RIP former Packer. He was a big back coming out of LSU in 1962, and had a solid, if not unspectacular NFL career, but as mentioned in the article, a 9 year career is nothing to sneeze at. EDS would probably be happy for a 9 year career. Here's the article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/gros-victimized-by-a-crowded-backfield-569ijol-204402271.html

Thanks...I thought he was around for awhile but for some reason struckout trying to get anything on him. I think I was relying on the Wiki search though and that was my error.

KYPack
03-17-2014, 08:04 AM
As mentioned, Gros was a big back out of LSU. He had some speed for a big guy. Lombardi featured him, basically to enhance his trade value. Vince wanted Gros gone because he was a clumsy bugger and had a tendency to fumble the ball.

Vince packaged Gros with All Pro C Jim Ringo for Philly's #1 pick and OLB Lee Roy Caffey. The tale that VTL quickly got rid of Ringo bc Jim R had an agent is bs. The deal was in progress for some time before it was struck. A writer misunderstood a Lombardi joke and created the myth that Vince did the deal in 5 minutes because
Ringo had an agent. The "story" was a good one and Lombardi allowed it to survive because it made him look like an iron fisted negotiator (like he needed more cred in that area!). Ringo never made any comment, he was too much of a gentleman to refute a tale like that. Associates of Ringo felt he was miffed that VTL never straightened out the record on that story, but he was such a quiet guy not much ever came out from his camp about the "agent story".

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 09:00 AM
The only way I'll be disgusted about losing EDS is if they sign Finley instead. EDS is better and more dynamic than Finley. Packer centers generally are. And EDS has fewer drops.

Rutnstrut
03-17-2014, 05:27 PM
The only way I'll be disgusted about losing EDS is if they sign Finley instead. EDS is better and more dynamic than Finley. Packer centers generally are. And EDS has fewer drops.

Packer groundskeepers are more dynamic than Finley, so that isn't saying much.

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Packer groundskeepers are more dynamic than Finley, so that isn't saying much.

Sign him up!

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110215003415/simpsons/images/4/47/Hokuto_no_willie.jpg

Fritz
03-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Finley's agent is sniffing around like my dog sniffing ass at the dog park.

How much would anyone risk on a guy who's injured AND gun-shy?

pbmax
03-19-2014, 08:02 PM
EDIT: OK. Is a mod moving my posts now to convince me I am losing my mind?

Between this and Auto Correct, I might need a vacation.

Fritz
03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 3h
No idea what make of: RT @JermichaelF88 I 'm striving toward this acting thing. I'm definitely gonna work hard on that whatever comes my way

He's taking acting lessons from soccer players on how to act like you've just been permanently debilitated by a defender.