PDA

View Full Version : Whacked Out Draft Theory Du Jour

The Shadow
03-14-2014, 11:20 PM
The evidence :
1. The nature of our losses to the 49's & Giants.
2. Micah Hyde's move to safety.
3. Andrew Quarless re-signed.
4. Raji one year deal.
5. Pack allows EDS to walk.
6. Neal re-signed. Now we have Mathews, Perry & Neal at OLB.
7. Pickett, Wilson still not resigned, Jolly a question mark.

Conclusion :
The Packers go D line big time. 2 of the first 3 picks.
The #1 will not be a safety. Pack will expect Hyde to do well.
The #1 will not be a TE. Other needs more pressing.

A safety will be added in later rounds, as will a center & TE. But I think the concentration will be on the D line - with maybe an inside LB ( if the value's there early).

This may be a bit Captain Obvious, but there it is.

red
03-14-2014, 11:24 PM
how many 1st and second round picks are we going to throw at a 3 man front, especially when we only use 2 of them 67% of the time?

resign jolly and add another fat guy in the middle to later rounds

Brandon494
03-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Safety is still the biggest need on defense and if Haha or Pryor are still there when its our pick I don't see them passing on either. They can still work Hyde in at safety so he'll be able to backup like Bush did early in his career.

PlantPage55
03-14-2014, 11:40 PM
I, too, believe that safety will NOT be the 1st round pick. Mike McCarthy said it himself - he wants Hyde to be a 3 down player. And there were no uncertain terms given. Hyde is your safety unless a mid-late round rookie looks much better in camp or he looks like such dogshit at that position that whatever bottom bucket FA we might sign as an insurance policy actually has to play. I don't believe that will happen. I believe Hyde will show enough for McCarthy to follow up on his desires to have him play the position. Whether he'll be the actual difference-maker we need remains to be seen.

I also don't think it will be a TE. We've had to use Quarless as our #1 long enough that I think our coaches are comfortable with that, at worst. Also, I believe that our coaches expect Bostick to take a major step up.

But what really sells your theory to me is what comes straight from the horses' mouth: TT tells you that you can never have enough big guys. Just like he told you that our FA priority is signing our own guys, and then everyone is surprised when that's exactly what he does. TT may not always tell you stuff, but when he does, he's not lying. "God only made so many guys this size." - that's a TT quote.

The problem for me is that I believe in your theory, but am afraid of it, because I don't like many of the likely candidates. Maybe TT doesn't either, even with their body types. Nix is an injury waiting to happen. Hageman is the biggest boom-or-turd product in the draft. He's almost impossibly inconsistent. Is it worth it to TT to take risks on these guys and have another black mark on his DL record? I'm afraid it might be!

I think DE/OLB is most likely, just because I think Hageman and Nix have too many red flags to ignore. But I also could be horribly, terribly wrong. Herps occasionally derp.

One to watch is Dee Ford. Read about him and watch some video on him and tell me that's not a TT pick - for better AND worse.

PlantPage55
03-14-2014, 11:43 PM
I should say that I hope I'm wrong, because I'm a big Calvin Pryor/Bucannon guy.

And an Ebron guy.

Brandon494
03-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Honestly who knows its TT...I'll surprise us all and take a WR with the first pick.

Smeefers
03-15-2014, 09:25 AM
He'll take bpa. When they moved up for mathews, they did because they considered him a top ten pick. If there's a rb out there they don't think they can pass on, they won't. They'll either trade back or take him. It's rare when TT targets specific players. That being said, when bpa and need line up, he's no dummy. Hence datone jones and nick perry. I expect both of those players to improve. Thats always the scary part about draft and develope. If your guys don't improve, you're screwed. If you have to throw young guys in to early, you're screwed.

For our needs i'd go
1. Safety
2. MLB
3. OL (because there's going to be a problem signing bulaga)
4. DT
5. ... Uh, can I ho MLB again? I've been a big Hawk defender, but he's at the end of his prime. We have to look to our future there.

wist43
03-15-2014, 10:11 AM
I agree that Hyde will be our other starting Safety; and I agree that TT will take BPA regardless of position.

That said, I agree with Red when he asks - 'how many 1st and 2nd round picks are we going to throw at the defensive front' when we only use 2 DL at a time??

And to compound the fact that Perry and D. Jones are watching on the sideline, is the fact that 2 of weakest ILB's in the league are on the field in their stead - WTF sense does that make??

3irty1
03-15-2014, 10:21 AM
If safety isn't our first round pick its probably because we got a hell of a good player instead so I'm good with that. The draft positioning looks to me like the 2010 draft though where all the planets align to grab your favorite guy at your favorite position. Either way depth is still and issue at safety. Given that Dom likes to use 3 in dime and Hyde will likely drop down and cover the slot in dime, there is still room for a safety who will see enough good play time to warrant any draft position should he be BPA.

gbgary
03-15-2014, 12:10 PM
safety.

PlantPage55
03-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Well, at least now I can't see them drafting Dee Ford.

Lack of movement in FA means Safety could be in play, but my gut tells me it's not Pryor or Ha Ha. Could they "reach" for Bucannon? (I wouldn't think it's a reach)

Still think Hyde is given every chance though, so taking a safety in the 1st would be interesting.

Brandon494
03-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Just because MM said he "I'd like to see Micah compete to play all three downs on defense, so if there's a personnel group that he has to play safety, yeah that's an option." doesn't mean Hyde is the answer. We still need a starter and Hyde would just give us some insurance in case of injury or certain personnel groups.

gbgary
03-15-2014, 12:37 PM
or cb. Hyde wasn't bad at cb. if he moves to safety that'll mean Bush is up next at cb and nobody wants THAT.

Smeefers
03-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Bush would be our quarter cb with williams, shields, hayward and house in front.

run pMc
03-15-2014, 04:22 PM
If TT is targetting a specific position or player in R1, then he's changed his stripes. I don't think that will happen. He'll go BPA, whether that's a S, ILB, or a d-lineman. I agree they've drafted a lot of high round DL recently, with mixed success at best. Jury's out on Datone -- year 1 is usually tough for most DL and then they get better. Hoping that happens; he could be a real versatile guy.

Not sure they have a backup at NT, but they might be able to get away with what they have given they don't play a lot of base 3-4.

Hageman scares me, he's a high risk/high reward. Nix or Tuitt would be ok, but if HaHa or Mosley is there I'll be stumping for them over Nix. I think they can find and develop a NT type in the later rounds.

I have no idea what TT will do, but purely for grins, I'll play contrarian and say TT will draft a WR in R1.

red
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM
The evidence :
4. Raji one year deal.

Conclusion :

A safety will be added in later rounds, as will a center & TE. But I think the concentration will be on the D line - with maybe an inside LB ( if the value's there early).

This may be a bit Captain Obvious, but there it is.so, you're theory is pretty much based on hyde moving to safety

you state in your evidence that he's already been moved there

he has not, in fact, outside of the press and us interweb geeks, no one is talking about moving hyde to safety

heres m3 talking about it from a couple weeks ago

"I mean Micah's to me a multiple position player," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last week at the NFL scouting combine. "I'd like to see Micah compete to play all three downs on defense, so if there's a personnel group that he has to play safety, yeah that's an option."

that hardly says, "micah hyde is our new safety".

if the team did have faith in him being able to play safety, then why did they try him out a bit there last year, when the safety play of jennings and burnett were hitting rock bottom. at least we could have gotten an idea if he could play there.

and on that note, if richardson was the answer, why couldn't he get on the field and replace jennings? or banjo

jennings was horrible. it would have been better having him off the field and just bringing on another d-lineman

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 12:21 AM
The evidence :
4. Raji one year deal.

Conclusion :

This may be a bit Captain Obvious, but there it is.

That "makes" such sense but TT by reputation doesn't draft for need but BPA.

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 01:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts

pbmax
03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Two words: Johnny Football

denverYooper
03-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Two words: Johnny Football

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1h
Bridgewater Pro Day ---> RT @uoflfootball: 29 teams represented - Pittsburgh, Washington and Miami not in attendance

GB SCOPING OUT QBS!!

red
03-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1h
Bridgewater Pro Day ---> RT @uoflfootball: 29 teams represented - Pittsburgh, Washington and Miami not in attendance

GB SCOPING OUT QBS!!

bridgewater pro day = louisville pro day

louisville pro day = calvin pryor and mid round safety prospect Hakeem Smith, olb Marcus Smith

and it sounds like bridgewater was very unimpressive today

actually, with most of the 29 teams there today not needing QB's and with teddy expected to be a top 10 pick, you might say that this was calvin pryors pro day, with most of the scouts being there to watch him. which does not bode well for us