PDA

View Full Version : Tuck said if not Oakland, maybe GB

Patler
03-15-2014, 10:19 AM
On Dan Patrick yesterday, Justin Tuck said if he had not signed with Oakland, he would have followed up with three teams that had contacted him, one of which was the Packers.

So, who would you have preferred
Justin Tuck at 30 years old, who had 11 sacks last year and signed for 2 yrs at $11M; or
Julius Peppers at 34 who had 7.5 sacks last year, contract as in other thread.

red
03-15-2014, 10:26 AM
based on age- tuck. he should have plently left in the tank. we don't know if peppers is on empty or not

size wise. it sounds like peppers wants to be a 3-4 OLB, if he can't make the switch, then at least he has the size to play on the line

tuck is smaller and could only really be an OLB for us, so either he can make the switch, or he'd be worthless to us

unless we're moving towards a 4-3, which to me, it looks like we're doing

SMBASS
03-15-2014, 10:28 AM
I like the Peppers signing for a variety of reasons but I would have preferred Tuck primarily because of the age difference Patler. Evidently T.T. wasn't willing to pay him enough above what Oakland offered to entice him to G.B.. Either that or living/playing in G.B. wasn't his first choice or some other intangibles of that nature. I honestly think that some of Peppers supposed fall off last year was due to the fact that Chicago's D was terrible and opposing O's didn't have to account for anyone else similar to what Matthews goes through.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I would have preferred both but Peppers is a much better player historically. Peppers is an elite talent. Tuck is a very good talent. Having said that, I love me some Justin Tuck and talent does start to slip with age and wear-and-tear.

Brandon494
03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Peppers because hes more versatile and durable. Also Tuck turns 31 later this month.

Brandon494
03-15-2014, 10:51 AM
based on age- tuck. he should have plently left in the tank. we don't know if peppers is on empty or not

size wise. it sounds like peppers wants to be a 3-4 OLB, if he can't make the switch, then at least he has the size to play on the line

tuck is smaller and could only really be an OLB for us, so either he can make the switch, or he'd be worthless to us

unless we're moving towards a 4-3, which to me, it looks like we're doing

I don't think Tuck could play OLB...he'd be a 3-4 DE IMO.

red
03-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't think Tuck could play OLB...he'd be a 3-4 DE IMO.

then he's be a very undersized 3-4 DE

so imo, that wouldn't work

Patler
03-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I like the Peppers signing for a variety of reasons but I would have preferred Tuck primarily because of the age difference Patler. Evidently T.T. wasn't willing to pay him enough above what Oakland offered to entice him to G.B.. Either that or living/playing in G.B. wasn't his first choice or some other intangibles of that nature. I honestly think that some of Peppers supposed fall off last year was due to the fact that Chicago's D was terrible and opposing O's didn't have to account for anyone else similar to what Matthews goes through.

Tuck said he liked the fact that Oakland would use him the same as he has been used in NY.

SMBASS
03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Tuck said he liked the fact that Oakland would use him the same as he has been used in NY.

In addition to the money that makes sense. I can understand with the success he's had why he'd want to stay in a similar scheme/role.

PlantPage55
03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
I think Tuck probably has more in the tank, but I think Peppers is a better scheme fit - or at least more able to transcend any scheme mis-fit.

I had Peppers pretty low on my wishlist. Justin Tuck wasn't on it at all. Just don't see the fit. But apparently TT/MM/Dom did and they know far more than I do.

Bretsky
03-15-2014, 11:49 AM
It's free agency and we are Green Bay; I'm happy with either and don't have a huge preference either way

3irty1
03-15-2014, 11:55 AM
I think I'd prefer Tuck all other things being equal. Peppers is more versatile and easier to get on the field, but Tuck's presence would be felt more often. He's a high motor guy and I just like that more.

woodbuck27
03-15-2014, 12:08 PM
I think I'd prefer Tuck all other things being equal. Peppers is more versatile and easier to get on the field, but Tuck's presence would be felt more often. He's a high motor guy and I just like that more.

Justin Tuck is now an Oakland Raider:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/justin-tuck-says-giants-offer-was-disrespectful/

Justin Tuck says Giants’ offer was “disrespectful”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

Almost 31 year old strat DE Justin Tuck, with two Super Bowl rings and 11 sacks last season, signed a two-year contract with the Raiders on Thursday for $11 million.

Reggie McKenzie is making a nice comeback from an embarrassing situation this week where the Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis was forced to undermine him over a signing of a player...that the owner over ruled.

http://blog.sfgate.com/killion/2014/03/13/will-justin-tuck-signing-save-raiders-g-m-reggie-mckenzie/

Brandon494
03-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Peppers just turning 34 means hes only 1 1/2 older then Ware. Looking at their stats Ware is the better pass rusher but something I found interesting was Peppers has far more INTs even though he played DE and Ware played OLB (Peppers-9, Ware-2). You have to remember this guy was a two sport athlete who also played basketball for UNC!!! Tuck could not have played OLB for us, Peppers will be starting opposite of Clay and will be able to switch to DE in different formations. The fact that he has only missed 6 games his entire career also have to be taken into account.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Peppers over Tuck for the next year or two. Peppers came into the league a freak of nature, so I'm not worried about the next year or two. I think you have to look at Peppers like Charles Woodson or Rod Woodson. Guys like them tend to stick around longer. Even when their athleticism wanes a bit, they are still more athletic than most.

Tuck is more up and down. He had 11 sacks last year but 9 combined the two years previous. In 5 of his 9 years he had 6 sacks or less. In 4 of his years he had 10 sacks or more. Peppers had 22 1/2 sacks his two previous years. I also think Peppers is more geared physically to do what we want him to do.

Patler
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
I wonder which one GB preferred?
Did they wait for Tuck to decide before signing Peppers?

3irty1
03-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Peppers just turning 34 means hes only 1 1/2 older then Ware. Looking at their stats Ware is the better pass rusher but something I found interesting was Peppers has far more INTs even though he played DE and Ware played OLB (Peppers-9, Ware-2). You have to remember this guy was a two sport athlete who also played basketball for UNC!!! Tuck could not have played OLB for us, Peppers will be starting opposite of Clay and will be able to switch to DE in different formations. The fact that he has only missed 6 games his entire career also have to be taken into account.

I say let him play TE as well.

Joemailman
03-15-2014, 05:52 PM
I say let him play TE as well.

Funny you should mention that. I remember watching him return an INT for a TD years ago for Carolina and thinking he looks more athletic than most Tight Ends in the league.

Not sure if it's significant, but Mike Trgovac coached him for 7 seasons in Carolina. I wonder how much input he had in the decision to sign Peppers.

red
03-15-2014, 05:56 PM
well, we have 4 guys on the roster now that can either play OLB or DE, we should be able to find some kind of scheme that works

the problem is 3 of those 4 are very injury prone, and the only durable one is almost 137 years old

red
03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Funny you should mention that. I remember watching him return an INT for a TD years ago for Carolina and thinking he looks more athletic than most Tight Ends in the league.

Not sure if it's significant, but Mike Trgovac coached him for 7 seasons in Carolina. I wonder how much input he had in the decision to sign Peppers.

i read he only coached him for a year or a year and a half

Joemailman
03-15-2014, 06:03 PM

He was his position coach for a year, and then his DC for 6 years.

pbmax
03-15-2014, 06:04 PM

As D line coach. He was the D coordinator for Fox and Peppers for several more years.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2014, 06:14 PM
I like the signing, but was hoping his deal would have been a little less given his age and character concerns talked about in Chicago. Either way, one of the main reasons I like this pickup is because it finally allows us to play Perry where he belongs, DE! Please Please put Perry at DE. This has been pissing me off since we drafted him. I think he can play, but the guy just doesn't have the instincts to play OLB.

Draft Clinton-Dix or Pryor round one and Chris Borland round two. Top five defense?

S: Burnett, Clinton-Dix, *Hyde, Banjo
CB: Shields, Williams, Hayward, *Hyde, House, Bush
ILB: Hawk, Borland, Jones, Lattimore
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Palmer, Mulumba
DE: Perry, Jones, Daniels, Worthy
NT: Raji, (Pickett?), Boyd

Brandon494
03-16-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd pass on Chris Borland, we don't need another AJ Hawk. We need someone who is similar to Bishop style of play, a big hitter.

red
03-16-2014, 12:39 PM
I'd pass on Chris Borland, we don't need another AJ Hawk. We need someone who is similar to Bishop style of play, a big hitter.

so you'd rather have a shayne skov type? big, tough, mean, can't cover for shit?

Brandon494
03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
so you'd rather have a shayne skov type? big, tough, mean, can't cover for shit?

Yes, if not for his injury concern yes. I just want someone who can bring the pop like Bishop, tired of seeing our ILB dragging players for the tackle.

red
03-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes, if not for his injury concern yes. I just want someone who can bring the pop like Bishop, tired of seeing our ILB dragging players for the tackle.

that injury concern (the acl) was in 2011, he should be more then recovered by now

i like skov and would love his motor and attitude, my concern is his coverage skills though. or do you draft him as a 2 down player and keep jones for the passing downs?

Brandon494
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
that injury concern (the acl) was in 2011, he should be more then recovered by now

i like skov and would love his motor and attitude, my concern is his coverage skills though. or do you draft him as a 2 down player and keep jones for the passing downs?

This...same way we used Bishop. I also hear he still hasn't fully recovered and its not his first knee injury so I would be cautious.

red
03-16-2014, 01:18 PM
plus everyone on here can be happy with him

he describes himself as "half white, half black, half mexican"

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 12:03 AM

A big hitter = intimidation.

YES !

I want NFL teams hating to play the Green Bay Packers because that hurts.