PDA

View Full Version : Who Should TT Pick In The 1st Round? - 2.0 - Post FA Version

Joemailman
03-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Figuring the following players will likely be unavailable at #21: Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Terry Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, Johnny Manziel, Taylor Lewan, Anthony Barr, Darqueze Dennard, Zack Martin, Mike Evans, Hasean Clinton-Dix, Aaron Donald, Justin Gilbert, Timmy Jernigan

I know Free Agency continues. However, I doubt there will be any more moves that would impact who TT might pick.

Poll to follow.

Joemailman
03-15-2014, 09:21 PM
It's a tough call now but I went with Mosley. He's an immediate upgrade over Jones, and could play a really key role if the Packers transition more in the direction of a 4-3.

red
03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
i think its a stretch to call it post FA already , and also assume haha will be gone, but not mosely or ebron. i see a lot more mocks that have mosely and ebron as top 20 picks, then i do haha

in order, if we don't sign anyone else

1. haha
2. pryor
3. mosely
4. ebron
5. nix

thats my 5 as of right now, if we take any of those 5, i'm fine. i'f i'm picking, i go in that order

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Darqueze Dennard F'ers.

BZnDallas
03-16-2014, 12:40 AM
i think its a stretch to call it post FA already , and also assume haha will be gone, but not mosely or ebron. i see a lot more mocks that have mosely and ebron as top 20 picks, then i do haha

1. haha
2. pryor
3. mosely
4. ebron
5. nix

thats my 5 as of right now, if we take any of those 5, i'm fine. i'f i'm picking, i go in that order

I'm totally down with your top 4 in that order... my no. 5 would prolly be Dee Ford from Auburn... with Ford, Raji, and Jones as our 3 down in a 3-4 (assuming we line up in the 3-4) could be pretty nasty and free up Peppers to roam around with Mathews, they could line up on different sides or the same sides just to mess with the opposing offense... i dont think Dennard will be available... one of those top 4 has to fall to us...

red
03-16-2014, 08:34 AM
dee ford is WAAAAAAAAAAY too small to line up at de in the 3-4 imo, he's 244 pounds. he's even kind if light for a OLB, which is where i think he would have to play for us

Fritz
03-16-2014, 09:04 AM

1. haha
2. pryor
3. mosely
4. ebron
5. nix

I like this order of things. I haven't read and watched enough to know if any one of those guys is simply head and shoulders above the others.

PlantPage55
03-16-2014, 10:34 AM
I voted Mosley, but I'm convinced there's only a very small chance that he makes it to #21.

My 1st round wish list, factoring in reasonable picks at the #21 spot, goes:
1. CJ Mosley
2. Eric Ebron
3. Calvin Pryor

If it were up to me, and thank heavens it's not, if one of these three is not there - I'm looking to trade down.

I'm not as high as everyone else on Ha Ha Clinton-Dix there. I've watched enough of him (though I'm sure most of you have) to hold the unprofessional opinion that you're getting a guy with big athletic upside, but not much of an actual presence on the field. I've watched several of his game cut-ups (he's assignment sure), but even his highlight tape is full of tipped INTs and tackles beyond the 1st down. And those are supposed to be his highlights. I hate to say he's a product of Alabama hype or a small piece of a great defense, because he's better than that, though those aspects are true.

He's just not much of an enforcer. A right place, right time guy with a lot of athleticism that you could certainly mold, but since the prevailing opinion seems to be that the Capers defense is tough for young safeties, our fans would have to be hella patient with this prospect, I think. With Pryor, I see a guy that'll make some mistakes, but he'll make just as many BIG plays in his first year, and I believe him to be a far more vocal leader. I don't think he'd be a bad pick, but not one I'm excited about as almost everyone else seems to be. I certainly wouldn't be mad about it - just perhaps a little deflated.

I see Hageman as a bust waiting-to-happen housed in an impressive physical specimen. If we took him, I'd be clenching my buttcheeks in hopes that shows even half of his potential in his first year. I feel the same way about Louis Nix, though I like his attitude much better. Nix is a guy that'll do whatever you ask him to. The question is whether he'll be healthy enough to do it.

Dee Ford is giving me a strange gut-feeling, as I can see TT really liking him, but I don't know that he's a good fit. I think it'd be another case of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, though the thought is that Dom Capers and Mike McCarthy are going to really focus on doing that more successfully this year. I kinda like him as a prospect, but I'd be leery of taking him for our purposes.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Trade down in the first to pick up another second or third and take the BPA.

pbmax
03-16-2014, 11:48 AM
a guy with big athletic upside, but not much of an actual presence on the field.

I love this. And I dub thee "The Antuan Edwards Effect".

sooner6600
03-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Why no QB backup for old man Aaron?

BZnDallas
03-16-2014, 11:52 AM
dee ford is WAAAAAAAAAAY too small to line up at de in the 3-4 imo, he's 244 pounds. he's even kind if light for a OLB, which is where i think he would have to play for us

You're probably right RED, the guy is just super fast... big strong and fast is what i'd like to see out of our defense...

gbgary
03-16-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't know college players but nothing has happened to make me think safety isn't still the number one need. a stud ilb would be cool. the o will just have to wait.

red
03-16-2014, 12:33 PM
You're probably right RED, the guy is just super fast... big strong and fast is what i'd like to see out of our defense...

i mean, it sounds like he has the stand up-drop back coverage skills to play OLB, but man, we've already got talent there (clay, neal, perry, maybe peppers, mulumba)

we just have much bigger needs then OLB right now imo

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2014, 12:48 PM
It would be a nice problem to have if Ebron and Mosely were there for the picking at #21. What a difficult decision that would be. Is that one of the times you'd trade back, albeit slightly, and still get one of them and pick up an extra pick (assuming things line up of course). I would be happy with either player.

Does anyone here think there is a special talent at FS that you would take ahead of Mosely or Ebron at #21 (of course assuming for the sake of discussion that they are all there when we pick)?

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't know college players but nothing has happened to make me think safety isn't still the number one need. a stud ilb would be cool. the o will just have to wait.

That's the age old question, isn't it? If you make your draft board and get to #21 and the BAP is not a safety, but perhaps a DB or LB, or even a DT, do you reach a little bit for the safety you need, or try and trade back no further than to where you think you can still fill your need, but still pick up an extra pick? Or do you keep your pick and take the BAP?

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Why no QB backup for old man Aaron?

He knows he can still play

red
03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
It would be a nice problem to have if Ebron and Mosely were there for the picking at #21. What a difficult decision that would be. Is that one of the times you'd trade back, albeit slightly, and still get one of them and pick up an extra pick (assuming things line up of course). I would be happy with either player.

Does anyone here think there is a special talent at FS that you would take ahead of Mosely or Ebron at #21 (of course assuming for the sake of discussion that they are all there when we pick)?

no, no one at all has mentioned that on here

http://forums.finalgear.com/attachments/entertainment/last-movie-you-saw/9202d1361162724-375994_sarcasm_sign.jpg

PlantPage55
03-16-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't know if I'd say any of the safeties in this class are "special", but I sure do like Pryor's game. He'll miss a tackle here or there, but he makes impact plays. He can cover (he's a smart guy - reads plays and breaks on balls. Doesn't have that late reaction to the play like we saw from Burnett this past season) and loves to help in the run game.

He doesn't have the elite body type or speed that would make a player "special", but I think he's worth that #21 pick, if guys like Mosley and Ebron are gone.

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2014, 02:37 PM

1. haha
2. pryor
3. mosely
4. ebron
5. nix

OK, I read more carefully...gotcha! :-) OK, now that I'm a little Red...see what I did there? How can you defend wanting a safety ahead of Mosely or Ebron? Are you saying you think those safeties the the BAP ahead of Mosely or Ebron at #21, or are you strictly looking at team need?

So, if Ebron and Mosely are gone at #21 and Dix and Pryor are sitting right there, and the Packers like them both the same, wouldn't it make sense to try and find a trade partner to move back a little to try and get another pick?

red
03-16-2014, 02:57 PM
OK, I read more carefully...gotcha! :-) OK, now that I'm a little Red...see what I did there? How can you defend wanting a safety ahead of Mosely or Ebron? Are you saying you think those safeties the the BAP ahead of Mosely or Ebron at #21, or are you strictly looking at team need?

So, if Ebron and Mosely are gone at #21 and Dix and Pryor are sitting right there, and the Packers like them both the same, wouldn't it make sense to try and find a trade partner to move back a little to try and get another pick?

i like pryor and dix just as much as mosely and ebron, no matter what our needs are. hell no one had ebron as a top 10 talent until the underware olympics. 3 weeks ago there was still a strong debate as to who was the top TE in the draft. i had seen some listing ebron as the #3 TE. now he's all of a sudden an "elite talent that we can't pass on if he somehow falls to us". i'm not buying that he's the guy anyone "has" to take if he's

no, to me, it does not make sense if both are there to trade down a bit. everyone and their mother has the eagles (at #22) taking a safety. they needed 2 starters and maybe 2 backups heading into free agency. they signed malcom jenkins, but they still need to find another starter. if they don't get another free agent safety, the chances are, they take a safety at #22. so if both are there at #21 and someone wants to trade up, you run a huge chance of both being taken at #21 ans 22.

and after that, its a massive drop off in talent to the next group of safeties. not worth the risk when we are in sush desperate need for a safety

smuggler
03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm not so sure there is a massive dropoff from Pryor and Dix to Bucannon and Ward. After those four, I do agree though.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking BPA in round 1 and then Bucannon in round 2. It would be nice to have 3 picks in the first two rounds in this draft.

mission
03-16-2014, 04:35 PM
There are some that think Bucannon is an even better prospect than Pryor and HaHa.

red
03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
There are some that think Bucannon is an even better prospect than Pryor and HaHa.

really? i've been following this draft thing for about 6 months now, looked at 100's of mocks and prospect info. i can honestly say i haven't seen anyone ranking him up with the other two, or even close to the big two

the knocks on buchanon are that he's stiff in the hips, misses a lot of tackles, has "tunnel vision", is easily lost on double moves, is bad in zone, and makes a lot of his tackles by lunging at feet

he's big, he's a big hitter, he's got good speed, he can pick the ball off, but he sounds like a massive project, very raw with tons of bad habits

bucannon might turn into a very good player, but it might take 2 or 3 years to get there imo

and we need a safety ready to step in a play from day one

PlantPage55
03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
really? i've been following this draft thing for about 6 months now, looked at 100's of mocks and prospect info. i can honestly say i haven't seen anyone ranking him up with the other two, or even close to the big two

Brian Carriveau of Cheesehead TV has him ranked #1, ahead of Pryor and Dix.

Brian Carriveau ‏@BrianCarriveau Mar 13
Bucannon, with Pryor a close No. 2. RT @JoeWiscoSports: @BrianCarriveau Pryor #1 safety then?

I don't like him better than Pryor, but I like him better than Dix.

pbmax
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
He knows he can still play

Its only March, still percolating on it.

red
03-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Brian Carriveau of Cheesehead TV has him ranked #1, ahead of Pryor and Dix.

I don't like him better than Pryor, but I like him better than Dix.

so, some random guy who's no different then any of us, but dropped the coin in order to get his own site, likes him better?

another thing, bucannon is almost universally considered a SS, prior is a SS or a FS, dix is a free safety

we need a free safety. actually, i think we need both, however if we keep burnett, he only ever looked serviceable once upon a time when he was the SS to nick collins FS. he has no talent as a FS. so we need to draft a FS and move burnett back to SS, or draft a safety and sign a free agent safety and get burnett right the hell off the field.

either way, we've left ourselves in a position where we can't wait 2 or 3 years for a guy to develop into something decent

red
03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
hey mad, maybe you need to start writing some articles and giving your opinions on the main page.

you could be considered a packer expert (since you own your own packer website). you'd be a minor celeb, and you could actually make some coin off this joint for a change

red
03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
here's a couple vids of bucannon. if you just look at his highlights he looks impressive, but when you watch all the snaps you see the many mistakes. reminds me a darren sharper. gets an int every game and no one can remember the 3 or 4 missed tackles a game and all the td's he gave up do to blown coverages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPb-6tEiYSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4x6J0cicds

RashanGary
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I like Louis nix, pending his health. He's big, strong, moves well and he's a fighter, seems to embrace the violence inside.

run pMc
03-16-2014, 08:50 PM

If those are your top 2 rated remaining players, and you have the luxury to get 1st choice of them I think you take the pick. Thing is, I think there will be other similarly rated players, and I don't think TT is going to specifically go into the draft targeting a safety in R1.

I think if Nix is there they'll take him and let him get healthy and learn the pro NT spot as Raji's understudy, then let Raji walk next year and have Nix slide in as the starter.

I'm thinking TT will lean towards defense in R1, if Mosley is there I'll probably vote for him over HaHa (who I think will be gone) or Pryor. Pryor feels like more of a SS than FS to me. Totally agree they need help at S, and I think they'll address it with McMillian and Jennings gone, but they aren't going to reach and draft purely for need.

I really don't think Ebron will be there at 21. Don't recall seeing him rated #3 anywhere, although I know pre-combine there was debate over him, Amaro, and ASJ as top TE in the draft. Post-combine he's most people's top TE, and I think that will hold into May. ASJ just elected to have surgery for a stress fracture, that likely slips him into R2. With how offenses are using TE's as weapons it would shock me if he was there.

Guiness
03-16-2014, 09:24 PM
I voted Pryor, but have to admit even I think that would be a need pick vs a BPA. I think in the first round you draft freaks that are football players if there is one, and freaks that could become football players if the former are all gone. There are only so many good big men around, whereas there are a lot more talented athletic guys that don't have dominating size. Those are the guys you get in the 2rd round and later.

woodbuck27
03-16-2014, 10:48 PM

I can see ted Thompson trading back...certainly. This draft is deep maybe as far back as Rd. 3. A lot will be determined by his position and post Free Agency and the state of the DL, IMO. The head of that snake is weak as I see it right now. Then there's this:

Ted Thompson hasn't had great success picking on the Defensive Line.

All of the above aside:

I'm a little concerned over the DL and a BIG GUY that can hold the front end up and actually make plays (pressures and a few SACKSs). So we resigned ** Busari "B. J." Raji, Jr.

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BJ_Raji#Early_years

** What do you read there that has you impressed? What have you seen over the past two seasons that's impressed you?

I'm not aware of any news and Ryan Pickett. I'm not sure we'll ever see Johnny Jolly in Green Bay Packer Colors again. I'm not at all assured of our DL.

I've not checked on anything NFL since I discovered that we have Juluis Peppers signed for a three year contract.

GO PACK GO !

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2014, 10:52 PM
I like Louis nix, pending his health. He's big, strong, moves well and he's a fighter, seems to embrace the violence inside.

If football doesn't work out for him, he can try comedy: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24454464/notre-dame-dt-louis-nix-on-losing-23-pounds-i-just-feel-sexier He's a funny kid. Natural timing on delivery. He would keep things loose in the locker room.

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Ted Thompson hasn't had great success picking on the Defensive Line.

2005 Mike Montgomery, R6
2006 Johnny Jolly, R6
Dave Tolleson, R7
2007 Justin Harrell, R1
2008 Jeremy Thompson, R4
2009 B.J. Raji, R1
2010 Mike Neal, R2
C. J. Wilson, R7
2011 Ricky Elmore, R6
Lawrence Guy, R7
2012 Nick Perry, R1
Jerel Worthy, R2
2013 Datone Jones, R1
Josh Boyd, R5

I'd say Neal, Perry, D. Jones, Boyd, Worthy are out of the mix either because of injury, too early to tell, and/or changing positions. Neal and Perry may be just fine at LB if we get to see them healthy for a whole year. Harrell and Thompson were injured. It's certainly a checkered history, but when it comes right down to it, as far as picking linemen in rounds 1-3, Thompson basically has picked one guy - Raji - who you can actually evaluate at this point.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Raji was a faller that we werent even supposed to have a shot at. It was an easy pick.