PDA

View Full Version : Hayward - does this raise or lower concerns about hsi health?

Patler
03-16-2014, 06:14 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/casey-hayward-eyes-playmaking-role-on-packers-defense-b99224654z1-250275091.html

Now, the 24-year-old Hayward is ever so carefully inching his way back. He started running two weeks ago and is aiming to be back at full speed by Day 1 of organized team activities.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/casey-hayward-eyes-playmaking-role-on-packers-defense-b99224654z1-250275091.html#ixzz2w7XNyIlv
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

The last he played was on 10/27 when he experienced a slight tear of his hamstring, per the article. He admitted that he had not stretched properly before beginning his workout last summer when he first injured his hamstring working out on his own.

GB needs him back.

pbmax
03-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Raises it because I didn't know about a slight tear (they are all tears of course, but the third occurrence was obviously worse) and anything that takes 3 + months to begin running from (part Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb) is significant, not slight.

3irty1
03-16-2014, 07:57 AM
I love Hayward but he doesn't really have a step to lose. Raises it for sure.

red
03-16-2014, 08:24 AM
raises

seems like a chronic issue. he pulled it twice then tore it? somethings not right there

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 08:27 AM
raises

seems like a chronic issue. he pulled it twice then tore it? somethings not right there

perhaps Browner could be brought in for a consult: how to stretch while on PEDs.

Patler
03-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Raises it because I didn't know about a slight tear (they are all tears of course, but the third occurrence was obviously worse) and anything that takes 3 + months to begin running from (part Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb) is significant, not slight.

I love Hayward but he doesn't really have a step to lose. Raises it for sure.

That was my first thought. He is doing light running only? He just started running two weeks ago? It is getting close to a year from the first injury, and the last was an actual tear?

I had hoped to hear that he was fully healed and resuming regular workouts. This is starting to feel like something that won't be over with when TC starts. Hamstring tears have grossly altered and even ended some careers. I hope this one isn't one of those.

Fritz
03-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Crap. Are they going to lose yet another promising young player to a career-ending injury? If he tears that thing again, he'll be the next injury-prone Packer not to make it. Like Harrell - I know Harrell was not as productive, but he never could stay on the field. And like Sherrod. And like Nick Collins, and like Terrance Murphy, and maybe Jermichael Finley.

That's a long list.

Joemailman
03-16-2014, 09:33 AM

After what happened last year though, extreme caution would be understandable. The good news is he's working with trainers this year. My guess is we won't be seeing him do much in OTA's. The goal will probably be to have him ready for training camp.

Brandon494
03-16-2014, 09:50 AM
How would it lower our concerns?

Brandon494
03-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Another reason why we need to draft a safety, if Hayward can't go we need Hyde to play the slot CB.

pbmax
03-16-2014, 09:53 AM

Prior to this article, you had no positive confirmation he was not dead, mute or unable to walk.

red
03-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Another reason why we need to draft a safety, if Hayward can't go we need Hyde to play the slot CB.

exactly

Patler
03-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Prior to this article, you had no positive confirmation he was not dead, mute or unable to walk.

Yup. I think I mentioned in another thread that I was concerned about Hayward because no one was saying anything. In talking about the defense improving, those from the team mentioned Hyde possibly going to safety, Williams being his old self, etc.; but very little encouragement about Hayward.

What I should have written in the first post was this:

"We have heard very little about Hayward since October when he went out. Now we have. Does this make you feel better or worse than when you heard nothing at all?"

Patler
03-16-2014, 10:10 AM

I agree completely with that. Draft one or sign a proven commodity at safety because Hyde might be needed in the slot and/or might not adapt to being a safety, with the first more likely than the second. Besides, Banjo and Richardson need to win spots on the roster, not get them by default.

gbgary
03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
yup...another reason to look at safety. tt might need to trade up.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
No trading up in this deep draft. Just gotta cross those fingers.

Cheesehead Craig
03-16-2014, 04:23 PM
No trading up in this deep draft. Just gotta cross those fingers.
Hope is a bad strategy. If there's a player that the Pack needs/wants, go get him.

Guiness
03-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Ya, that about sums it up.

Would be so good for this team if he came back strong - he was a DROY candidate in 2012.

smuggler
03-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Hope is a bad strategy. If there's a player that the Pack needs/wants, go get him.

Nope. Sacrificing players is a bad strategy. To trade up in the first round, you have to sacrifice a rookie starter. Very bad strategy.

Joemailman
03-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Trading away a 3rd round pick to move up in the 1st round would be a bad move IMHO. A 3rd round pick this year is like a 2nd round pick next year because of the depth of this draft.

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 12:06 AM

Yes.

Now I'm really concerned. :idea:

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Nope. Sacrificing players is a bad strategy. To trade up in the first round, you have to sacrifice a rookie starter. Very bad strategy.

With the depth in this draft trade down not up.

Cheesehead Craig
03-17-2014, 07:48 PM

To get a better player? No it isn't. What other rookie starter are we getting in this draft if not a Safety?

pbmax
03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
To get a better player? No it isn't. What other rookie starter are we getting in this draft if not a Safety?

WR. Could see a high draft pick push Boykin.

Brandon494
03-17-2014, 08:09 PM

ILB

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Or TE. TT is gonna draft a WR or two, or a WR and TE. People on Packerrats are going to freak out when he doesn't draft a safety at 21!

gbgary
03-17-2014, 09:17 PM
dal needs a safety too and they're ahead of us. I'd try to jump ahead of them if I could.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-17-2014, 10:11 PM
The massive amounts of injuries will finally stop this year. Hayward will be fine.

smuggler
03-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Somebody will fall to us and we'll either draft them if they fit or trade back and stock up on talented guys. If Barr falls into the mid teens I could see the argument for a trade up.

Smidgeon
03-18-2014, 09:55 AM
The massive amounts of injuries will finally stop this year. Hayward will be fine.

Until you went and wrote all that. Now we're screwed again. :|

;)

Cheesehead Craig
03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
There's no WR in this draft that's going to start over what we currently have at WR.

ILB
Not Hawk, he's too entrenched. I could see a 3rd round pick being good enough at the other ILB spot.

Or TE. TT is gonna draft a WR or two, or a WR and TE. People on Packerrats are going to freak out when he doesn't draft a safety at 21!
Maybe here too. But I won't freak out if they don't take a S at 21.

So I stand corrected that it's possible to get a starter other than S with a pick that would be used to trade up to get a S (I'm thinking 3rd round).

Zool
03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
There's no WR in this draft that's going to start over what we currently have at WR.

Not Hawk, he's too entrenched. I could see a 3rd round pick being good enough at the other ILB spot.

So I stand corrected that it's possible to get a starter other than S with a pick that would be used to trade up to get a S (I'm thinking 3rd round).

I agree if you end the first 2 with "at our draft position". If Sammy Watkins is available at 21 I'm pretty sure he'd overtake Boykin. I'd take Bell over Hawk or Jones, or possibly both and switch to a 4-3.

Brandon494
03-18-2014, 02:21 PM

1. We still need depth at WR and whos to say a rookie can't come in and win the starting #3 job and/or return duties especially in this deep draft class?

2. I never mentioned Hawk's name but you do realize we have two starting ILBs. Hawk and Jones need to be replaced but you are right it won't happen this season for Hawk.

3. If Haha or Pryor are available at 21 and we pass on either one I will freak out.

Cheesehead Craig
03-18-2014, 04:23 PM
1. We still need depth at WR and whos to say a rookie can't come in and win the starting #3 job and/or return duties especially in this deep draft class?

2. I never mentioned Hawk's name but you do realize we have two starting ILBs. Hawk and Jones need to be replaced but you are right it won't happen this season for Hawk.

3. If Haha or Pryor are available at 21 and we pass on either one I will freak out.

The whole conversation was about a starter. PB mentioned that a draft pick WR could come in and start. Not talking about depth or a #3 WR.

I am aware we have 2 ILB, just noted that Hawk is not the one going to be replaced first.

I may agree with you on pt 3. But I don't think they will be there.

pbmax
03-18-2014, 04:29 PM
The whole conversation was about a starter. PB mentioned that a draft pick WR could come in and start. Not talking about depth or a #3 WR.

I am aware we have 2 ILB, just noted that Hawk is not the one going to be replaced first.

I may agree with you on pt 3. But I don't think they will be there.

No, I mean start as a #3, since 3 wide might be the most common Packer O alignment. Essentially take Boykins job.

I love the guy, but it would not be unheard of for a talent such as his to be passed by a hot rookie. Packers O is tough to learn, but as #3 and not a slot WR, he would need to learn only one position.

smuggler
03-18-2014, 09:42 PM
#3 WR is a starter in this offense.