PDA

View Full Version : Is Capers involved with talent acquisition at all?

red
03-16-2014, 11:46 AM
the thought has occured to me be for, but really it hit home yesterday after peppers signed with us. he mention he met m3 and TT but hadn't talked to capers yet

should the guy who's going to need to try and find a way for him to play be involved in the process? shouldn't capers be there asking, hey, can you do this or this or that?

is capers involved at all in this process? are TT and M3 even asking him his opinions on players or asking who he wants? or are they just giving him whoever they think he should have?

is capers in the war room on draft day? does he even get a say in who we take?

we talk a lot about TT getting square pegs and trying to force capers into fitting them in the round hole

does TT ever ask what shape peg capers wants?

Brandon494
03-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Maybe Capers wasn't in town?

PlantPage55
03-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I know Capers and his assistants have been involved in draft talent discussions. No clue on FA, but you would think so.

pbmax
03-16-2014, 12:01 PM
1. Capers is involved in the overall aspect. He mentioned this when he was hired that they (coaches) normally provide the body and athletic type they need for the defense to perform, so the scouts have an idea who to target.

2. He might be involved in the selling of a FA recruit if it would help, in this case it seemed unnecessary. Whether this is some fault of Dom's or just happenstance in this case is unclear.

3. Coaches are asked to do some scouting, they do attend some Pro Days and often revisit potential draftees when they want certainty. I would bet they do review tape of FA players.

4. Coaches other than McCarthy get into the draft room when a player at their position is discussed. Andrew Brandt has said the Packers war room is relatively open to staff, but I expect the number of voices reviewing possible picks is limited to those with a direct knowledge or interest.

5. By inference, I suspect T2 doesn't go directly to Capers or a position coach without McCarthy present or approving. Not that he couldn't, but probably thinks its bad form.

red
03-16-2014, 12:30 PM
1. Capers is involved in the overall aspect. He mentioned this when he was hired that they (coaches) normally provide the body and athletic type they need for the defense to perform, so the scouts have an idea who to target.

2. He might be involved in the selling of a FA recruit if it would help, in this case it seemed unnecessary. Whether this is some fault of Dom's or just happenstance in this case is unclear.

3. Coaches are asked to do some scouting, they do attend some Pro Days and often revisit potential draftees when they want certainty. I would bet they do review tape of FA players.

4. Coaches other than McCarthy get into the draft room when a player at their position is discussed. Andrew Brandt has said the Packers war room is relatively open to staff, but I expect the number of voices reviewing possible picks is limited to those with a direct knowledge or interest.

5. By inference, I suspect T2 doesn't go directly to Capers or a position coach without McCarthy present or approving. Not that he couldn't, but probably thinks its bad form.

thats where my biggest questions were. at pro days and in the war room is it just TT, his scouts and m3, or were the other coaches involved

i know we don't see capers on TV at the combine, so i didn't know if we was involved in all that or not. i would hope he was

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 12:49 PM
I have to imagine all that stuff is planned out in advance. Who will talk to whom and when. Plus, Capers has to undergo an extensive three-six week hair strip and reapplication in the offseason. I'm betting that's happening as we post.

sharpe1027
03-16-2014, 01:16 PM
I have to imagine all that stuff is planned out in advance. Who will talk to whom and when. Plus, Capers has to undergo an extensive three-six week hair strip and reapplication in the offseason. I'm betting that's happening as we post.

3 6 week strips! Eighteen weeks total? Will he be back in time for training camp?

Patler
03-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Demovsky had an article about it a couple months ago. All the coaches are involved:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/7050/thompsons-draft-meetings-underway

In a non-Super Bowl year, Thompson begins the draft meetings the week after the final college all-star game, the Senior Bowl, which took place last week in Mobile, Ala. His area scouts stationed around the country come to Green Bay and together with his personnel staff members who work at Lambeau Field, they begin the long and detailed process of setting their draft board.

The meetings typically begin early, usually around 7 a.m., and after a short break for lunch they resume until around 6 p.m. Those meetings lead up to next month’s NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

The scouting staff then breaks to attend a series of pro day workouts that players take part in on their college campuses.

Thompson then brings in the Packers' coaches for another round of meetings before the final draft board is set.

It’s a long process that takes months to conclude.

“At some point, you have to put it to bed because you have to trust the work that you’ve done and live with it the way it is,” Thompson said a few days before last year’s draft.

Given Thompson’s well-known preference to build the team primarily through the draft, it’s no wonder he likes to get started on the process as soon as possible. That process includes input from dozens of personnel aides and members of the coaching staff, but ultimately it comes down to Thompson.

King Friday
03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
There is this amazing technology known as a telephone, Red. You may have heard of it. With it, you can speak to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away. We have even progressed far enough to make the telephone mobile, so that it can be carried by individuals so that they can be reached at just about any time or place on the planet.

I'm 100% certain that Capers was reached for his insight on this. The fact that he wasn't in Green Bay or at Lambeau when Peppers came for a visit is hardly evidence that he's out of the loop.

KYPack
03-16-2014, 09:10 PM
You'd think Eliot Wolf and the pro personnel boys were in the loop on this deal also.

mraynrand
03-16-2014, 10:50 PM
There is this amazing technology known as a telephone, Red. You may have heard of it. With it, you can speak to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away. We have even progressed far enough to make the telephone mobile, so that it can be carried by individuals so that they can be reached at just about any time or place on the planet.

I'm 100% certain that Capers was reached for his insight on this. The fact that he wasn't in Green Bay or at Lambeau when Peppers came for a visit is hardly evidence that he's out of the loop.

I just ordered one of those mo-bile phone thingys. Very useful, even if a bit bulky.

http://digitalparenting.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/old-cell-phones-get-cingular-fee.jpg

woodbuck27
03-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Demovsky had an article about it a couple months ago. All the coaches are involved:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/7050/thompsons-draft-meetings-underway

Ohh good. :whaa:

woodbuck27
03-16-2014, 11:59 PM

You have no room for some doubt?

This went down pretty fast. The time of the day that it went down too makes me thing that possibly this might have been a TT surprize. He had to do something as I see it all now.

It was a very stunning move by Ted Thompson. I see it as a move with possibly different designs.

King Friday
03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
This went down pretty fast.

Fast for Thompson is still a snail's pace. It wasn't like Peppers just happened to be driving through Wisconsin, saw Green Bay on a highway sign, and made an impromptu decision to show up at Lambeau and buy a ticket to see the Packer HOF.

If Thompson is throwing that kind of money at a 34 year old, you damn well know that shit has been vetted out 429 different ways before Peppers walks in the door. If you don't understand that, you clearly haven't been watching Thompson operate over his tenure in Green Bay. He rarely throws that kind of money at a capable kid entering his prime. Peppers was known to be a potential free agent for MONTHS...so there was plenty of time for the Packers leadership and coaching staff to kick the wheels on how he could be used in our system.

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 09:21 PM
It wasn't like Peppers just happened to be driving through Wisconsin, saw Green Bay on a highway sign, and made an impromptu decision to show up at Lambeau and buy a ticket to see the Packer HOF.\

ahhhh the sweet smell of finely aged sarcasm. Repped.

red
03-17-2014, 09:26 PM
You have no room for some doubt?

This went down pretty fast. The time of the day that it went down too makes me thing that possibly this might have been a TT surprize. He had to do something as I see it all now.

It was a very stunning move by Ted Thompson. I see it as a move with possibly different designs.

this is why i brought it up

i too thought it was very quick. he was a free agent for less then 4 whole days

he's cut late on the 11th, there's word dallas wants him on the 14th, and BOOM, all of a sudden we wake up on the 15th and he's a packer. with no prior warning. we had been linked with at least 3 d-linemen (not including raji) in the previous couple of days, and he's on his way to dalls,and all of a sudden he's ours

seemed like a very quick or knee jerk reaction by us. and if doms not in town, how involved could he be?

TT- "hey dom, this is Ted, you want peppers?"
Don- still half asleep, "ummmmm, ok?"

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
seemed like a very quick or knee jerk reaction by us. and if doms not in town, how involved could he be?

If Thompson is throwing that kind of money at a 34 year old, you damn well know that shit has been vetted out 429 different ways before Peppers walks in the door. If you don't understand that, you clearly haven't been watching Thompson operate over his tenure in Green Bay. He rarely throws that kind of money at a capable kid entering his prime. Peppers was known to be a potential free agent for MONTHS...so there was plenty of time for the Packers leadership and coaching staff to kick the wheels on how he could be used in our system.

red
03-17-2014, 09:38 PM
he threw a 1 year 3.5 million dollar contract at him. hardly huge money

Joemailman
03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
It was no surprise that the Bears released Peppers since he had a cap number in 2014 of 18 million. I'm sure Peppers was discussed at 1265 prior to his actual release.

KYPack
03-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Ware, Peppers, and other vets that had big ticket contracts were I'D as potential cap victims as soon as the season ended.

I'm so happy we didn't mess with Ware, he's in and out depending if he feels like playing or not.

Hoping that Peppers can provide some juice if used and positioned properly. He's not an 80 play guy anymore, maybe a rotation with Julius will keep him fresh and healthy

pbmax
03-18-2014, 07:26 AM
this is why i brought it up

i too thought it was very quick. he was a free agent for less then 4 whole days

he's cut late on the 11th, there's word dallas wants him on the 14th, and BOOM, all of a sudden we wake up on the 15th and he's a packer. with no prior warning. we had been linked with at least 3 d-linemen (not including raji) in the previous couple of days, and he's on his way to dalls,and all of a sudden he's ours

It seems quicker than the other three lineman because the agent wasn't leaking. Yet.

The prime time to leak is before leaving the first visit to ratchet up pressure to meet demands.

Remember Thompson's answer to "Why this contract for Charles Woodson?" in 2006: We were told this is what it would take to get it done.

When he has wanted someone, which is not often from the outside, he spends more than the minimum. Might be him, might be insurance the player doesn't leave town, might be the Green Bay is not San Fran, New York or Miami. But its not without precedent.

Its also not everyday he backloads a deal with a lot of unlikely money. It would seem, by public reports only, that when the other three went elsewhere and Tuck landed in Oakland, Ted's vet list was down to one name.

Smidgeon
03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
It seems quicker than the other three lineman because the agent wasn't leaking. Yet.

I think this is the money quote. Without the agent leaking, and knowing how closed the GB doors are, it felt sudden because we didn't hear anything, didn't hear anything, didn't hear any--PEPPERS IS A PACKER!. It was out of left field without a warning. So it felt fast even if it wasn't.

wist43
03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
I want Peppers to be a good signing, I want Hyde to work out at Safety, and Heyward at nickelback... I want us to have closed the gap on SF and Seattle, but I just don't see Capers as being able to put it all together.

I like Peppers as a player a lot, but then again I liked the players we had in our front seven last year - sans Hawk and B. Jones, and of course Capers devises alignments so that those two guys are on the field 24/7, and the talent that TT invested in is standing on the sideline.

Unless TT and MM get involved, and force Capers to move away from the 2-4, or become much more creative out of it, then we're just going to keep seeing more of the same.

Fritz
03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
So we will all be happy if the Packers win the SB this year, and Capers announces his retirement after the game.

I would be happy with that.

Wist, we actually agree!

wist43
03-19-2014, 10:18 AM
So we will all be happy if the Packers win the SB this year, and Capers announces his retirement after the game.

I would be happy with that.

Wist, we actually agree!

Would be thrilled with that :)

Fritz
03-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Dude, as much as we've disagreed and butted heads, and will in the future, I will buy you a long-distance beer and raise a glass with you if this happens!