PDA

View Full Version : Proposed new rules

red
03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
the competition committee has propsed a bunch of new rules and bylaw changes

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

most notible for me, are moving kickoffs to the 40
moving extra points to the 25, but leaving 2 point conversions at the 2
coaches can challenge all officials decisions but scoring play, which are automatically reviewed
refs can consult with head official in NY on all replays

mraynrand
03-19-2014, 03:24 PM
most notible for me, are moving kickoffs to the 40

If you kick off from the 40 then the only real reason to have a kickoff at all is so that you can still keep open the possibility of an onside kick, no?

red
03-19-2014, 03:33 PM
If you kick off from the 40 then the only real reason to have a kickoff at all is so that you can still keep open the possibility of an onside kick, no?

i don't know if moving to the 40 is going to have the desired effect. i'm sure the thinking is that there will be more touch backs. but just like when they moved the kickoff to the 35, kickers will "aim" for the goal line, forcing the returner to return the ball, and now you've given the kicking team a 5 yard head start to knock the piss out of him

mraynrand
03-19-2014, 03:41 PM
i don't know if moving to the 40 is going to have the desired effect. i'm sure the thinking is that there will be more touch backs. but just like when they moved the kickoff to the 35, kickers will "aim" for the goal line, forcing the returner to return the ball, and now you've given the kicking team a 5 yard head start to knock the piss out of him

that's good point; teams will try strategy to pin teams inside the 20. But that's the opposite of what the NFL wants right, since there's typically a lot less offense when teams are stuck close to their goal line. I guess the NFL, in trying to reduce injuries on KOs may eventually get unintended bad outcomes (less offense), and even promote exactly what they don't want (more injuries).

Fritz
03-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Fuck that shit, as we used to say in college.

Move kickoffs back to the 30 where they belong.

And for god's sake, Ted, remember that the frosting on the cake for Ron Wolf in the SB winning year was grabbing Desmond Howard.

smuggler
03-20-2014, 01:20 AM
If they move the kickoff to the 40, that's approaching the point at which it might actually be mathematically more sound to just attempt the onside every time. I don't think it's there, but it's close. The ~20% chance of a turnover could very well be worth those 30 yards of field position.

run pMc
03-20-2014, 07:52 AM
If they move the kickoff to the 40, that's approaching the point at which it might actually be mathematically more sound to just attempt the onside every time. I don't think it's there, but it's close. The ~20% chance of a turnover could very well be worth those 30 yards of field position.

I think, given Crosby's onside kicks and Slocums KO coverage teams, this might not be a bad idea.:rs:

Not a fan of the changes outside of more replays for the refs/M3 to screw up.

Guiness
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM

I'm sure the only reason the NFL plans to keep the kickoff is for the commmercials they can shows before and after it. But I think the law of unintended consequences will result in the effect red describes - kickers learning to put a backwards roll on the ball the way kickers do, and planting the ball inside the 10...and as he said, with the defenders getting there that much sooner. Fair catches on KOs inside the 10? Yuck....

gbgary
03-20-2014, 10:14 AM

it's still said daily in every walk of life. :D

MadScientist
03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Couple of other interesting points:
12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.
Sounds like this would make the quick WR screens even tougher to defend, and make bump and run trickier.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.
This might be a big help for the Packers, given how many players miss 6+ weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.
This one seems strange, but it might be related to a team moving to London. It would make it easier to check out players in the US instead of flying them to London.

denverYooper
03-20-2014, 10:56 AM
12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.
Sounds like this would make the quick WR screens even tougher to defend, and make bump and run trickier.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.
This one seems strange, but it might be related to a team moving to London. It would make it easier to check out players in the US instead of flying them to London.

Wow. #12 could open things back up for GB's offense.

Fritz
03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
it's still said daily in every walk of life. :D

Cute four year old girl: "Daddy, Daddy, can we please please please read a book together?"

The Dad: "Fuck that shit."

Doting Mother: "Johnny, could you please hang up the bath towels, and then we can have some ice cream together!"

12 year old Johnny: "Fuck that shit, Mom."

denverYooper
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Cute four year old girl: "Daddy, Daddy, can we please please please read a book together?"

Weird. It's almost like you were at my house last night.

You don't happen to work in Bluffdale, UT, do you?

Fritz
03-20-2014, 01:36 PM
No, though I think I drove through there in 1979.

My heart sinks at the thought of adding two more playoff teams. For every 10-6 or 11-5 team that misses the playoffs (once every five or six years?), there are probably three or four teams that get into the playoffs with 8-8( or 8-7-1) records.

Keep it at twelve. That's enough teams vying for the SB.

But money will win out.

gbgary
03-20-2014, 02:20 PM
i'm with you on playoff expansion. it's not broken.

MadScientist
03-20-2014, 03:29 PM

My heart sinks at the thought of adding two more playoff teams. For every 10-6 or 11-5 team that misses the playoffs (once every five or six years?), there are probably three or four teams that get into the playoffs with 8-8( or 8-7-1) records.

But money will win out.

Apparently they think the NHL and the NBA and little leagues have the right idea.

bobblehead
03-21-2014, 12:04 AM

Would the first one have the effect of letting SF and Seattle get away with even more PI?

bobblehead
03-21-2014, 12:06 AM

But money will win out.

Just wait until David Stern takes over the NFL. He will expand the playoffs to 20 teams, and PI calls will determine (coincidentally) that the biggest markets, and best storylines end up in the superbowl every year. Or Vince McMahon.

woodbuck27
03-21-2014, 08:48 AM

And for god's sake, Ted, remember that the frosting on the cake for Ron Wolf in the SB winning year was grabbing Desmond Howard.

Yes we need a dangerous kick return man....more from our punt returners.

We need better ST play overall.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
03-22-2014, 04:46 PM
League considers banning goal post dunk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/league-considers-banning-goal-post-dunk/)

They keep this up and I am going back to basketball and Winter League Baseball.

sooner6600
03-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Pc wimps are in charge now.

It is now becoming fag(sp) flag football.

Good Gawd Almighty; what the hell is going on here says St Vince!

The point spread is in danger of the zebras and stupid rules.

Lets give everyone a participation badge:bang:

red
03-22-2014, 06:20 PM
League considers banning goal post dunk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/league-considers-banning-goal-post-dunk/)

i can understand this one

when jimmy graham goes two handed to the things and tries to bring it down, causing the game to be stopped while the maintenance crew come out to fix the thing, then thats a problem

if the thing would have come down all the way onto the field, or god forbid the crowd, then thats a massive problem that could cost the league millions

pbmax
03-22-2014, 07:28 PM
i can understand this one

when jimmy graham goes two handed to the things and tries to bring it down, causing the game to be stopped while the maintenance crew come out to fix the thing, then thats a problem

if the thing would have come down all the way onto the field, or god forbid the crowd, then thats a massive problem that could cost the league millions

Then I will trade you the slam dunk for the fun bunch and Chad Johnson putting the football with a pylon.

Bretsky
03-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Are you shitting me ? Did you forget who our ST coach is ? I say let kickoffs go from the fifty ! And if they are at the 40 and Slocum tried to directional kick to pin teams within the 20 I'll hire somebody to kick his nads out

Rastak
03-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Nah, none of that shit is needed, as the great Jim Brown said and I'm paraphrasing "guys today do all kinds of buffoonery"

pbmax
03-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Nah, none of that shit is needed, as the great Jim Brown said and I'm paraphrasing "guys today do all kinds of buffoonery"

Don't mind the stuff that is funny or celebratory. Sack dances and 4 yard catches on 2nd and 6 shouldn't be cause for a celebration, however.

pbmax
03-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Good idea, only took 20 years too long: NFL may install cameras on sidelines, goal lines to aid replay reviews (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/nfl-may-install-cameras-on-sidelines-goal-lines-to-aid-replay-reviews/)

They should just outlaw blocks below the knees. Easy to call. Techniques already exist to allow Offense to adjust. This is just dithering, though possibly a positive step: NFL considering additional protection for defensive players’ knees (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/nfl-considering-additional-protection-for-defensive-players-knees/)

red
03-22-2014, 08:58 PM

miss the days of barry sanders just handing the ball to a ref after a TD

Rastak
03-22-2014, 09:26 PM

Amen.

pbmax
03-22-2014, 09:47 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Barry was great. But I don't want everyone simply doing the same thing. There would be no Lambeau Leap if that was the case. I almost can't believe that little ritual has survived.

Rastak
03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Barry was great. But I don't want everyone simply doing the same thing. There would be no Lambeau Leap if that was the case. I almost can't believe that little ritual has survived.

That should also be illegal but as always the Packers get to do what they want, the rules don't apply.......:^)

pbmax
03-22-2014, 10:07 PM
That should also be illegal but as always the Packers get to do what they want, the rules don't apply.......:^)

I think the succession of pretty respectable players involved (White, Butler and Brooks) helped. Seemed quaint and goofy, not a taunt, an actual celebration.

If the Packers sign a big enough showboat at RB or WR who did something else with it, I think the League would ban the whole thing in a second.

MadScientist
03-23-2014, 01:17 AM
They should just outlaw blocks below the knees. Easy to call. Techniques already exist to allow Offense to adjust. This is just dithering, though possibly a positive step: NFL considering additional protection for defensive players’ knees (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/nfl-considering-additional-protection-for-defensive-players-knees/)

Offensive linemen could adjust, but what about RB's in pass protection? When you are giving up 50+ pounds and the other guy has a head of steam, going low is the only way. If they ban hits below the knee unless the blocker is in front of the guy, it would take care of the worst problems, basically end the cut blocks from the offensive linemen.

Guiness
03-23-2014, 02:03 AM
Then I will trade you the slam dunk for the fun bunch and Chad Johnson putting the football with a pylon.

You mean Occocino, the soon-to-be Alouette receiver?
www.torontosun.com/2014/03/20/ochocinco-added-to-montreal-alouettes-negotiation-list

smuggler
03-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Offensive linemen could adjust, but what about RB's in pass protection? When you are giving up 50+ pounds and the other guy has a head of steam, going low is the only way. If they ban hits below the knee unless the blocker is in front of the guy, it would take care of the worst problems, basically end the cut blocks from the offensive linemen.

Nah, I like the proposed rule without conditions. It would bring back fullbacks, maybe!

Fritz
03-23-2014, 08:35 AM
I think the succession of pretty respectable players involved (White, Butler and Brooks) helped. Seemed quaint and goofy, not a taunt, an actual celebration.

If the Packers sign a big enough showboat at RB or WR who did something else with it, I think the League would ban the whole thing in a second.

This is the essence of it, for me. If it's celebratory, it's okay. But if it's taunting, or if it's merely self-congratulatory, then it's stupid and the player should be kicked out of the game for an entire quarter.

This "look at me" shit is for the birds.

Joemailman
03-23-2014, 11:24 AM
This is the essence of it, for me. If it's celebratory, it's okay. But if it's taunting, or if it's merely self-congratulatory, then it's stupid and the player should be kicked out of the game for an entire quarter.

This "look at me" shit is for the birds.

I agree with you on the taunting part. But how do you differentiate between celebratory and self-congratulatory?

pbmax
03-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Possible expansion of Game Day roster for any games not on Sunday or Monday, excluding the first week of the season. From 46 to 49 actives:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/nfl-may-use-bigger-active-rosters-for-thursday-games/

Pugger
03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
I saw the proposals on the Packers' web site and one of them was about increasing the number of players you can dress for game days to 49 from 46. That's a start but IMO if a player is on your 53 man roster then allow him to suit up him unless he's injured.

The other is eliminating over time in the preseason and I'm all for that.

red
03-23-2014, 11:55 AM

yeah, i'm really surprised the leap is still allowed. it delays the game, and put the player and fans in harms way

plus for me, the novelty has worn off. it was special the first 1 or 200 times i saw it

red
03-23-2014, 11:59 AM
I saw the proposals on the Packers' web site and one of them was about increasing the number of players you can dress for game days to 49 from 46. That's a start but IMO if a player is on your 53 man roster then allow him to suit up him unless he's injured.

The other is eliminating over time in the preseason and I'm all for that.

yeah, it makes no sense at all that you can have 53 guys on the roster but only 46 of them can dress and play

the only thing i can think of is that it allows for injured players to remain on the team. if you did allow all 53 to dress and play, then you would have to come up with some kind of short term IR, where any number of guys can go on and come off of IR on a week to week basis

pbmax
03-23-2014, 04:54 PM
This celebration, should be used, in a Packer preseason game after a score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9LBN-eZYYE

mraynrand
03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
^^^^ when you play a sport where you only score once every 42 days, you should get to celebrate any way you want.

Fritz
03-24-2014, 11:54 AM
I say the Packers hide a few of the opposing team's helmets behind their bench. Then, when the Pack scores, the guy who scores runs to the bench, grabs the opposing team's helmet, puts it against his crotch, and humps it.

That's entertainment, right there.

red
03-24-2014, 01:09 PM
I say the Packers hide a few of the opposing team's helmets behind their bench. Then, when the Pack scores, the guy who scores runs to the bench, grabs the opposing team's helmet, puts it against his crotch, and humps it.

my guess is goddell and the NFL would frown upon "skull fucking" as a td celebration

denverYooper
03-24-2014, 01:50 PM

The NSA must have a ball with your search history.

Fritz
03-25-2014, 01:43 PM
The NSA must have a ball with your search history.

None of the helmets in question is under legal age.

red
03-25-2014, 02:23 PM
the goal post dunk is now banned

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10671807/nfl-penalize-goal-post-dunk-next-season

red
03-25-2014, 02:30 PM
refs can now also consult the head ref in new york during reviews now too

good move there imo

Guiness
03-25-2014, 04:13 PM
my guess is goddell and the NFL would frown upon "skull fucking" as a td celebration

would he go for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGXHxXQqR8

Joemailman
03-25-2014, 05:15 PM
refs can now also consult the head ref in new york during reviews now too

good move there imo

Yep. the Fail Mary might have turned out different.

red
03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
^^^^ when you play a sport where you only score once every 42 days, you should get to celebrate any way you want.

not true, theres almost as much scoring in soccer as there is in american football

american football just has to trick you by using multipliers to the scores to make it seems like there's more scoring going on.

today, i just witnessed the soccer team i follow lose 4-1.. if we apply american football's way of adding point, you would have a score of 28-7

you're just being fooled by fake numbers

red
03-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Yep. the Fail Mary might have turned out different.

don't be so sure

didn't the head asshole come out and say that the fake refs got the call right? they then came out and explained why the call was correct, even though everyone with at least 1 good eye could clearly see that their explanation was completely full of shit

we can all hope it makes the game better, but until i actually see it happen, i'll won't believe it will ever happen

red
03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
would he go for this?

i think he would, but only if the player holds up a banner to advertise whatever ED pill was willing to pay the most money that day

then joe buck could say,

alright guys, if you take "insert ED pill of the month here", you'll be able to fuck just like he does

because, thats all those ads are really saying anyways

then jimmy johnson could chime in and say

"You know guys, i never ever use to be able to fuck chicks like that because my dick was just too small, but now that i use extenze i can fuck all kinds of chicks like that, and they can feel it"

denverYooper
03-25-2014, 05:39 PM
THERE'S... YOUR... DAGGER!

denverYooper
03-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Chris Long ‏@JOEL9ONE 15m
No more goal post dunks. How arbitrary. #Offensive #Holding #penalty on the #agenda soon I'm guessing!

Guiness
03-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Don't understand leaving the clock running after a sack. Punishes a defensive team that's behind and trying to get the ball back. If you're on offense with a lead late in the fourth quarter, have your QB hold the ball, run around a bit and slide into a defensive player.

red
03-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Don't understand leaving the clock running after a sack. Punishes a defensive team that's behind and trying to get the ball back. If you're on offense with a lead late in the fourth quarter, have your QB hold the ball, run around a bit and slide into a defensive player.

yeah, but on the flip side. if its late in the game and the offense is losing, you would actually be rewarded for taking a sack by the clock stopping

to me, a sack should be treated just like a rushing play, clock should still run

red
03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
heres a complete rundown of all the proposed changes, and their outcomes

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/five-rules-changes-pass-as-nfl-owners-vote-at-league-meeting/

pbmax
03-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Don Banks ‏@DonBanks 1h
NFL discussed 14-team playoff field this week. "Think there's tremendous amount of interest in it, possibly even support,'' R. Goodell said.

Translation: They patted me on the head and told me "good job son".

woodbuck27
03-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Doting Mother: "Johnny, could you please hang up the bath towels, and then we can have some ice cream together!"

12 year old Johnny: "Fuck that shit, Mom."

South Park "style" cursing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FVWH32S5gQ

South Park Classroom Cursing

woodbuck27
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
yeah, it makes no sense at all that you can have 53 guys on the roster but only 46 of them can dress and play

the only thing i can think of is that it allows for injured players to remain on the team. if you did allow all 53 to dress and play, then you would have to come up with some kind of short term IR, where any number of guys can go on and come off of IR on a week to week basis

The company's that fabricate bench's will love it; if ALL 53 men on the roster could be dressed and available for the game.

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
not true, theres almost as much scoring in soccer as there is in american football

american football just has to trick you by using multipliers to the scores to make it seems like there's more scoring going on.

today, i just witnessed the soccer team i follow lose 4-1.. if we apply american football's way of adding point, you would have a score of 28-7

you're just being fooled by fake numbers

I don't like fake internet numbers:

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2010/11/most-common-scores-in-soccer-comparing.html

As in the Premier League, one thing to notice is that there is quite a bit of variation across types of scores; and as before, 1-0 home wins and 1-1 ties are the most common scores three of the four leagues.

Given that goals are shooting the ball into the net from a distance, this is the equivalent of the most common NFL scores being 3-0 or 3-3 OT ties. Exciting!

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Don Banks ‏@DonBanks 1h
NFL discussed 14-team playoff field this week. "Think there's tremendous amount of interest in it, possibly even support,'' R. Goodell said.

Translation: They patted me on the head and told me "good job son".

This is just stupid. If you're going to add teams to the playoffs, just make it 16 and be done with it; no byes.

3irty1
03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
The playoffs are the best playoffs in pro sports. Keep your hands off it Goodell.

pbmax
03-26-2014, 12:43 PM
From PFT:

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul. PASSED

Didn't see this before. Going to hurt the defense a bit when this happens. Will unbury an offense after a bad play if D not careful.

pbmax
03-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Mark Cuban made little sense with any of the specifics he offered to Dan Patrick about his contention the NFL was over saturating the market. Well, maybe his point that Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday pro football might be stretching it qualifies.

This proposal, however, after not being able to sell out playoff games with 12 teams (including the Packers and their season ticket waiting list) should be warning enough that expanded playoffs may be unsold inventory, but there is not much demand for them. This isn't baseball that needed to reinvent the pennant race with a wild card because of the Division structure. Its as exciting as its going to get as it is.

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Those wildcard games get pretty good TV ratings. The stadium experience is a completely different animal, and is affected by the popularity of watching from home with all the advantages of enhanced technology. A 60 inch HD set lets you experience every boil on Aikman's face as a variegated three inch red mass up close and in your face - you can't get that experience at Lambeau field.

Joemailman
03-26-2014, 03:03 PM
This is just stupid. If you're going to add teams to the playoffs, just make it 16 and be done with it; no byes.

No byes means even more games in the last week of the season that don't mean anything. It wouldn't matter much whether you're the 1 seed or the 4 seed.

ThunderDan
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM
A 60 inch HD set lets you experience every boil on Aikman's face as a variegated three inch red mass up close and in your face - you can't get that experience at Lambeau field.

That's the best reason of all to be at Lambeau!!!

pbmax
03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Those wildcard games get pretty good TV ratings. The stadium experience is a completely different animal, and is affected by the popularity of watching from home with all the advantages of enhanced technology. A 60 inch HD set lets you experience every boil on Aikman's face as a variegated three inch red mass up close and in your face - you can't get that experience at Lambeau field.

You could be right. Not sure what ratings the wild card games get, though its probably beating the pants off every other option.

But I think the divide between the in-game and stay at home experience is telling. The more the NFL becomes a stay at home experience, the more vulnerable it becomes to other entertainment options. Fantasy football might get everyone to watch games they wouldn't otherwise care about, but its an eminently replaceable entertainment option.

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 04:03 PM
No byes means even more games in the last week of the season that don't mean anything. It wouldn't matter much whether you're the 1 seed or the 4 seed.

? Unless you like home field in Divisional or Championship rounds

Pugger
03-26-2014, 04:35 PM
heres a complete rundown of all the proposed changes, and their outcomes

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/five-rules-changes-pass-as-nfl-owners-vote-at-league-meeting/

It appears I was wrong about a proposal to increase the number of players a team can dress on game day. :oops:

MadtownPacker
03-26-2014, 04:42 PM
would he go for this?

Now that's superstar treatment!!!

gbgary
03-26-2014, 05:10 PM
35ft goal posts are gonna look funny.