PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Press Conference at Owner's Meeting

pbmax
03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
On Raji: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=36661

Asked if Raji ever expressed unhappiness with his role to him, McCarthy said the two talked in Raji’s postseason exit interview and again during the re-signing process.

“He felt he did what he was asked to do,” McCarthy said. “I’ve had a number of conversations with B.J. He’s a young man we drafted, we brought him into our program. He’s had success. (In recent years) he’s been asked to do things a little differently and I think it’s a process we need to get him back over center.”

pbmax
03-25-2014, 06:15 PM
On safeties: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=36651

Hyde

“I got to a point in the season where Micah was standing on the sidelines too much. He’s a good football player and I thought he deserved the opportunity to compete to play. [So] we’re going to give Micah the opportunity to play on all three downs – whether that’s corner, nickel, dime, safety, that’s the versatility I think he brings to our football team.”

General Plans

“We’ve got a lot of time,” McCarthy said at a luncheon interview session with Wisconsin reporters at The Capital Grille restaurant Tuesday afternoon, during a break in the annual NFL Meetings at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes resort. “Could it be Micah? Chris Banjo? Free agency’s still going on. We’ve got the draft coming up.”

pbmax
03-25-2014, 06:17 PM
On Peppers (warning, this is Ketchman, be prepared for tortured logic and company-man assertions): http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-talks-of-plans-for-Julius-Peppers/3cc0308f-8a88-4712-a193-02b206716ab0

“He’ll be a multiple-position player,” McCarthy said. “Elephant is a term used for a multiple-position player. Julius will be part of that group.”

pbmax
03-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Less scheme, more personnel changes (Ketchman's article again)

“We want more personnel groups, less schematically,” the Packers head coach said. “The scheme is there. We’re not putting a whole new scheme in. If anything, we’re taking things out.”

red
03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
so he just wants to get hyde on the field more

that doesn't seem to mean he will be the new starting safety, but more of a fall back

maybe he sees hyde in more of a woodson role where he plays all over the field depending on where he's needed for that individual play?

pbmax
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Ketchman again (pretty full accounting of all McCarthy's answers)

Bulaga at Right Tackle:

The decision to play Bryan Bulaga at right tackle?

“It’s where he has the most experience. We had a full season of David (Bakhtiari) and Josh (Sitton) (on the left side). You want to play your best five,” McCarthy said.

red
03-25-2014, 06:22 PM
On Peppers (warning, this is Ketchman, be prepared for tortured logic and company-man assertions): http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-talks-of-plans-for-Julius-Peppers/3cc0308f-8a88-4712-a193-02b206716ab0

are these ketchmans words or M3?

Less scheme, more personnel changes (Ketchman's article again)

the problem seems to be, either we don't have the players that fit the scheme (and we haven't fixed that by bringing in a guy who'd never played in this scheme), or the scheme doesn't work

saying they aren't changing the scheme, after saying things will be changed a month ago, doesn't sit too well with me right now tbh

red
03-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Ketchman again (pretty full accounting of all McCarthy's answers)

Bulaga at Right Tackle:

that makes sense, bulaga had what? 1 preseason start at LT?

pbmax
03-25-2014, 06:40 PM
are these ketchmans words or M3?

the problem seems to be, either we don't have the players that fit the scheme (and we haven't fixed that by bringing in a guy who'd never played in this scheme), or the scheme doesn't work

saying they aren't changing the scheme, after saying things will be changed a month ago, doesn't sit too well with me right now tbh

All quotes are directly from the article, but if its IN quotes, its M3 speaking.

Joemailman
03-25-2014, 07:33 PM

No. He got hurt on Family Night.

SMBASS
03-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Lol...man, you know injuries are bad when Red gives Bulaga credit for playing 1 exhibition game and it ends up being more generous than what his actual availability was!

Joemailman
03-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Bulaga hasn't played in a football game since 11-4-2012.

red
03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
No. He got hurt on Family Night.

Lol...man, you know injuries are bad when Red gives Bulaga credit for playing 1 exhibition game and it ends up being more generous than what his actual availability was!

LOL

WOW, that is pretty pathetic

Rutnstrut
03-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Stubby also said they are LOOKING for a center which implies they are NOT sold on Tretter. That's about right, let a solid player walk when you have no back up.

Fritz
03-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Stubby also said they are LOOKING for a center which implies they are NOT sold on Tretter. That's about right, let a solid player walk when you have no back up.

I think you're reading way too much into that answer. To me, that answer was just a typical coach's answer: "yeah, we're exploring all the possibilities" when they don't want to say anything at all.

People try to read tea leaves when all MM is doing is throwing non-answers out there so the media has something to print and the fans have something to chew on.

Not that you can never read between the lines. That can happen, but in this I feel it's just coachspeak.

But given my own answer, of course, it could mean that there are deep readings to be parsed in that answer of Stubby's, and his answer about Hyde is just coachspeak.

Joemailman
03-26-2014, 08:05 AM
MM's comments about Hyde sound like the Packers want to reprise Woodson's role in 2010-2011 where you didn't know where he was going to line up. Hyde isn't Woodson, but he might be a smart enough player to make it work pretty well.

As for his comments about the Center position, I think MM clearly wants Tretter to win that battle. However, he is not going to announce that a 4th round pick who hasn't even been through a training camp yet is his starting Center.

denverYooper
03-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Hyde is moving to Center?

denverYooper
03-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
McCarthy is really high on WR Jarrett Boykin. He thinks he can be an effective No. 3 and fill the role James Jones had. #Packers

McCarthy also is high on Brandon Bostick and said he was his best blocking TE last year. Expects him to take a big jump this year. #Packers

McCarthy spent more time with def. coor Dom Capers this off-season than he has in the past to talk about way to use players. #Packers

McCarthy loves calling plays, but there may be a time when he gives it up because of increase responsibilities of head coach. Not this year.

McCarthy was completely taken by surprise by Kevin Greene's decision to step down. When Greene makes a decision he's thought it through.

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 09:25 AM
McCarthy also is high on Brandon Bostick and said he was his best blocking TE last year.

not that the bar is high, but that's a surprising comment, especially since Bostick was assumed to be more of a receiving TE.

Smidgeon
03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Also, M3 had this to say (paraphrased by GBPG):

His end-of-the-year conversation with defensive coordinator Dom Capers was harder than in other years. There were a lot of hard topics. But he’s excited about upcoming changes on defense.

pbmax
03-26-2014, 10:13 AM
M3 on Peppers (answers questions about Dom's involvement is selection of player) from JSO:

Based on McCarthy's comments, it's fairly clear the Packers targeted Peppers from the very beginning of free agency to play the position. McCarthy said they were prepared for other options if Peppers wasn't signed, but he was identified early as someone who could fill the spot and give Capers a multiple-use player upfront.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html#ixzz2x594SXOn
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

pbmax
03-26-2014, 10:18 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/252320061.html

OK, so its now Peppers, Neal (and Silverstein says Perry but I am not yet convinced, may have to listen to full audio) as elephants. Hybrids who play both outside/end position.

Its hinted that this happens in the 2-4 and its made clear they will be linebackers in a position group. I doubt the Packers spent that money for a backup, so Peppers plays a lot of this, but do Neal (or Perrry) join him in the 2-4 front? Or is it just Matthews?

red
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
M3 on Peppers (answers questions about Dom's involvement is selection of player) from JSO:

well, that covers my question then from last week

Zool
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/252320061.html

OK, so its now Peppers, Neal (and Silverstein says Perry but I am not yet convinced, may have to listen to full audio) as elephants. Hybrids who play both outside/end position.

Its hinted that this happens in the 2-4 and its made clear they will be linebackers in a position group. I doubt the Packers spent that money for a backup, so Peppers plays a lot of this, but do Neal (or Perrry) join him in the 2-4 front? Or is it just Matthews?

Please let it be Neal or Perry with CM3 roaming and creating havoc. And Jones attempting to cover a TE.

pbmax
03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Please let it be Neal or Perry with CM3 roaming and creating havoc. And Jones attempting to cover a TE.

How about this (from Silverstein at JSO blog linked above):

"The vision, if you watched us in training camp, when you’d see Mike Neal and Clay Matthews line up next to each other in sub packages, Mike was a three-technique, and Clay, we call it an outside linebacker but a defensive end," McCarthy said. "That was the primary rush pair with us going in, and that rarely even happened during the regular season.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html#ixzz2x5KWtaeY

Paired rushers like Smith and Smith in San Fran. Odd thing is, people may be convinced Perry was/is a 4-3 end, but he is NOT a Peppers or Neal like 3 tech. So I am not convinced Perry will play end. I think he is the backup plan to Matthews here, just as Neal is the backup plan to Peppers. If both positions lose a guy like last year, they can still run it.

pbmax
03-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Wist bait:

"We played B.J. a lot as a 3 (defensive tackle)," McCarthy said. "My conversation with B.J. is that I want to keep him over center, keep him in the 'A' gap more and tailor things more to his specific skill set and cut him loose.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html#ixzz2x5MWQiUd

pbmax
03-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, we knock him around a bit for recycling stories, but Andrew Brandt has a nice piece on the owner's meeting and what actually transpires. But an even better read is a symposium he held with Art Tellum, David Cornwell, Tom Condon for his Sports Law class at UPenn (I think).

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/25/nfl-owners-meetings-primer/

Cornwall talks about a botched scorched earth policy when the Alex Rodriguez negotiations over his suspension broke down. Tellem talks about Jason Collins signing with the Nets and Condon talks about how Manning had to be talked into accepting a Broncos offer that was HIGHER than what he wanted. You only get one guess as to whom (player, not a team) he wanted to match and not go over.

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 12:26 PM

but He did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
The vision, if you watched us in training camp, when you’d see Mike Neal and Clay Matthews line up next to each other in sub packages, Mike was a three-technique, and Clay, we call it an outside linebacker but a defensive end. That was the primary rush pair with us going in, and that rarely even happened during the regular season.

That was the 2-4 alignment they opened with in SF, with D. Jones as the other down lineman, and Perry as the other OLB.

pbmax
03-26-2014, 12:35 PM

At this point, he has been available less than Sherrod since Derek was drafted in 2011. Bulaga has started more games though.

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Condon talks about how Manning had to be talked into accepting a Broncos offer that was HIGHER than what he wanted. You only get one guess as to who he wanted to match and not go over.

The way I read this was that there was another team Manning was interested in, that he wanted to match Denver's offer but not go over. In reality, Manning wanted his Denver contract to match, but not go over another NFL player's salary. Guess who!

pbmax
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
The way I read this was that there was another team Manning was interested in, that he wanted to match Denver's offer but not go over. In reality, Manning wanted his Denver contract to match, but not go over another NFL player's salary. Guess who!

Fixed it in the original. But I am only guessing at the rules about who/whom because I have largely forgotten them.

woodbuck27
03-28-2014, 05:12 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

" The way I read this was that there was another team Manning was interested in, that he wanted to match Denver's offer but not go over. In reality, Manning wanted his Denver contract to match, but not go over another NFL player's salary. Guess who!" mraynrand

" Fixed it in the original. But I am only guessing at the rules about who/whom because I have largely forgotten them. "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1303/ten-highest-paid-nfl-players/2/

If that's the case? It would have to be Drew Brees, I'm guessing.

mraynrand
03-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

" The way I read this was that there was another team Manning was interested in, that he wanted to match Denver's offer but not go over. In reality, Manning wanted his Denver contract to match, but not go over another NFL player's salary. Guess who!" mraynrand

" Fixed it in the original. But I am only guessing at the rules about who/whom because I have largely forgotten them. "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1303/ten-highest-paid-nfl-players/2/

If that's the case? It would have to be Drew Brees, I'm guessing.

Was Drew Brees Mannings' greatest rival QB?

woodbuck27
03-28-2014, 08:00 AM

The Top Four Ranked Centers in the 2014 draft:

Rank Player Pos. Pos. Rank School Class Ht. Wt. Proj. Round

** 55 Marcus Martin C 1 Southern California Jr 6-3 320 2

** 74 Weston Richburg C 2 Colorado State rSr 6-3 298 2-3

** 98 Travis Swanson C 3 Arkansas rSr 6-5 312 3

** 140 Bryan Stork C 4 Florida State rSr 6-4 315 4-5

** The Green Bay Packers picks ** :

NO. 53; 85; 98 and 121.

woodbuck27
03-28-2014, 08:10 AM
The Top Four Ranked Centers in the 2014 draft:

** 55 Marcus Martin C 1 Southern California Jr 6-3 320 2

** 74 Weston Richburg C 2 Colorado State rSr 6-3 298 2-3

** 98 Travis Swanson C 3 Arkansas rSr 6-5 312 3

** 140 Bryan Stork C 4 Florida State rSr 6-4 315 4-5

** The Green Bay Packers picks ** :

NO. 53; 85; 98 and 121.

Rounding out the TOP Ten Centers:

177 Tyler Larsen C 5 Utah State Sr 6-4 313 5-6

224 Corey Linsley C 6 Ohio State rSr 6-3 296 6-7

264 Gabe Ikard C 7 Oklahoma rSr 6-4 304 7-FA

275 Matt ArmstrongInjured C 8 Grand Valley State rSr 6-2 302 7-FA

287 Zac Kerin C 9 Toledo rSr 6-5 308 7-FA

311 James Stone C 10 Tennessee Sr 6-4 306 7-FA

TT's remainin Picks Rd.5-7 are:

No. 161 and 176 - Rd. 5;197 - Rd. 6 and 236 - Rd. 7

3irty1
03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
I think the Hyde thing is pretty straight forward. Currently, his best position is slot cornerback but Hayward is a major obstacle to getting him on the field there. In base and nickel (90% of defensive snaps) expect Hyde to play safety. In dime Capers likes to bring in another safety anyways and Hyde is perfect to move down into the 2nd slot, again his best position. If Hayward were to become injured, Hyde would likely play slot full time and depth at safety would be tested.

Bossman641
03-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Manning wanted to match the Brady contract, not a cent more