PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Cut DeSean Jackson

smuggler
03-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Nope. It's for real. Not a gag.They weren't happy with him for various reasons.

pbmax
03-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Latest on possible reasons: http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html

Shorter version: knew and was business affiliated with a gang member who was imprisoned and tired for murder. Was acquitted. DeSean not involved in crime but was questioned about whereabouts of one of the suspects.

Question: If I was a possible witness for an alibi (or the reverse), should I expect the police to call my place of employment? What was that about?

Guiness
03-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Latest on possible reasons: http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html

Shorter version: knew and was business affiliated with a gang member who was imprisoned and tired for murder. Was acquitted. DeSean not involved in crime but was questioned about whereabouts of one of the suspects.

Question: If I was a possible witness for an alibi (or the reverse), should I expect the police to call my place of employment? What was that about?

They (probably?) wouldn't do that do you...but it's not like they can treat him the way they do other people.

mraynrand
03-28-2014, 03:04 PM
They (probably?) wouldn't do that do you...but it's not like they can treat him the way they do other people.

racists!

pbmax
03-28-2014, 03:07 PM

If I was a professional athlete, I think I would eventually quit out of paranoia. That report, plus team security having ins with the FBI and local law enforcement would drive me batty.

Steinbrenner tried to adopt an entire FBI field office in Tampa and hired them regularly to do research and security work for him. Howard Spira wasn't the only guy George cozied up with to dig up dirt on people.

Cheesehead Craig
03-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Will be interesting to see where he ends up and how much he gets paid.

MadScientist
03-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Have him end up in New England. That should create an entertaining media circus.

BTW what is the going suspension rate for flashing gang symbols?

smuggler
03-28-2014, 04:38 PM
I really hope he doesnt go to SF

red
03-28-2014, 04:55 PM
teams really are cracking down on the whole gang affiliation thing

there were teams at the combine or before the combine that wanted pictures of players tatoos so that they could have the FBI look at them and tell them if there were any gang related tatoos

smuggler
03-28-2014, 04:57 PM
This is because of an active NFL player executing people in New England. I don't blame the NFL on this. The Eagles probably jumped the gun, though.

Striker
03-28-2014, 06:23 PM
This is because of an active NFL player executing people in New England. I don't blame the NFL on this. The Eagles probably jumped the gun, though.

Either way you have to do some kind of damage control. If Jackson or one of his friends does something stupid while still a member of the Eagles, and then it becomes known that the Eagles were away of his less savory connections...hoo boy...it would be a very bad day in Philly.

pbmax
03-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Either way you have to do some kind of damage control. If Jackson or one of his friends does something stupid while still a member of the Eagles, and then it becomes known that the Eagles were away of his less savory connections...hoo boy...it would be a very bad day in Philly.

Due diligence yes. But the murder case, unless there are details we don't know, seems more than arms length from him.

A bigger, more immediate question, is why did he have $200K in his house to get stolen a couple of months ago.

pbmax
03-28-2014, 08:50 PM
teams really are cracking down on the whole gang affiliation thing

there were teams at the combine or before the combine that wanted pictures of players tatoos so that they could have the FBI look at them and tell them if there were any gang related tatoos

See, I think that is stupid unless you are going to do a metric ton of followup. Might be a lot of mistakes made on that basis.

smuggler
03-28-2014, 09:04 PM
The actual total of the cash was said to be $20k... The total of all the goods taken from his safe, including the gems, his handgun, et al was 200k

pbmax
03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
The actual total of the cash was said to be $20k... The total of all the goods taken from his safe, including the gems, his handgun, et al was 200k

Well, that's slightly more reasonable.

red
03-28-2014, 09:40 PM

maybe its just because i'm poor

but why does someone need to have $20,000 in pocket money just lying around?

i wouldn't doubt the robbery threw up a giant red flag. $20k in cash, and a hand gun stolen?

to me that looks suspect

Guiness
03-28-2014, 09:51 PM

It will be. There are supposedly a few teams kicking the tires right now, but they have to be all wondering what the Eagles know that they don't.

PFT is saying a 1yr deal for $6-7M is possible. He was scheduled to make 10.5, did his value drop that much as a result of getting cut by the Eagles? Theoretically, teams should be willing to pay a bit more if they don't have to make a long term commitment.

smuggler
03-28-2014, 10:43 PM
If I were a millionaire, I'd probably keep some cash around just incase the IRS went batshit on me for some reason. For all we know, he was going to a teammate's house to play poker.

pbmax
03-29-2014, 12:02 AM
Jeff McLane of the Philly Inquirer isn't buying the gang theory. He maintains nothing in the reports was unknown to the Eagles and other NFL teams well before this offseason and that some of his relationships were known on draft day. He thinks its either convenient (or planted) cover for a decision the coach had already made.

That's a tough call. Leaving Jackson to twist in the wind and burning Joel Segal in the process seems like the kind of thing that could backfire.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/252989401.html?authenticate=y

mraynrand
03-29-2014, 09:03 AM
maybe its just because i'm poor

but why does someone need to have $20,000 in pocket money just lying around?

i wouldn't doubt the robbery threw up a giant red flag. $20k in cash, and a hand gun stolen?

to me that looks suspect

Some of this may be black culture stuff. A lot of my black friends do transactions in cash. I've asked a few guys and it comes down to not 'trusting the man.' (with good reason, eh). Many don't keep money in banks, stuff is stashed at home, people keep shades drawn all day long so people can't see what they have. Seems like Desean's stash is the same behavior writ large.

pbmax
03-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Another party heard from that the gang reports were cover for what the Eagles had already decided to do.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/03/29/making-sense-desean-move/

He points out the contact by police over the murder investigation was in 2011 and 2012. If it had been a deal breaker, they had a long time to act on it. The other article I linked to gives an anonymous quote that the new "management" of the Eagles didn't know, but Howie Roseman (as GM) and the owner were both with the team at that time. If the knowledge wasn't passed along, that would represent a pretty big failure.

However, Kelly could have decided after a year it wasn't all worth the trouble.

red
03-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Another party heard from that the gang reports were cover for what the Eagles had already decided to do.

He points out the contact by police over the murder investigation was in 2011 and 2012. If it had been a deal breaker, they had a long time to act on it. The other article I linked to gives an anonymous quote that the new "management" of the Eagles didn't know, but Howie Roseman (as GM) and the owner were both with the team at that time. If the knowledge wasn't passed along, that would represent a pretty big failure.

the hernandez murder spree hadn't happened yet in 2011 and 2012. maybe after the serial killer went to town in NE, the eagles went back and took another look at everything and decided it wasn't worth the risk?

pbmax
03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
the hernandez murder spree hadn't happened yet in 2011 and 2012. maybe after the serial killer went to town in NE, the eagles went back and took another look at everything and decided it wasn't worth the risk?

Possible. But its been nine+ months since he was arrested. And it was public knowledge he was neck deep in trouble in Florida as a frosh and had bad associates before his draft and there was speculation concerning that double murder, before he signed his extension, involved people he knew as well. Public knowledge can change the calculus, but given the worst that has happened to him is the loss of $20K in cash and a $100K watch, I'm still leaning football reasons especially since Bretsky was right about his public comments about a redone contract again.

The X and O guys seem to think this is more like the Saints where they don't want to spend All-Pro money on a position they consider fungible in their system.

pbmax
03-29-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24501651/chip-kellys-desean-jackson-question-is-it-hubris-or-the-system

And if it means that elite guard Evan Mathis, who broached the topic of a new contract after out-performing the deal he signed a few years back, is then shopped around the league, well, then that's exactly what is taking place. Mathis's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has been given permission to talk to teams about a trade, according to league sources, with the Eagles seeking a third-round pick in return. Unlike the Jackson situation, however, there is an expectation that barring trade options the Eagles might still keep Mathis, who is coming off a great season, and whose work ethic and mentality Kelly praised much more effusively on Wednesday, lauding Mathis' “lunch-pail mentality” that Kelly wants to permeate his entire team.

This article is from before the gang speculation and before Jackson's release but it makes me wonder what Kelly wants to spend money on.

red
03-29-2014, 11:40 AM
doesn't seem like he was all that popular with his teammates. and these are the same teammates that quickly forgave cooper after dropping a drunken n-bomb. so they're a pretty forgiving bunch

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Bretsky
03-29-2014, 03:16 PM
just listened to the Eagle beat guy; it's very telling no current players are really coming to his defense. He was not dis liked by any means.....but he won't be missed by the players and especially staff either

Guiness
03-29-2014, 07:09 PM
So the consensus here seems to be that the Eagles just didn't want him on the team because he was a PITA, and maybe that he was not that important in the system?

I'm not necessarily buying that, mostly because of the timing of the release. It doesn't make sense from a football perspective. There was no reason to release him now, no bonuses due, and with camp not opening for a while, not like he could get hurt at an OTA that would put them on the hook for his salary.

The release did, however, come right after the league meetings. Maybe the non-interest there was to the degree that the Eagles knew there was no chance of trading him, so they decided to cut bait?

smuggler
03-30-2014, 02:49 AM
Probably doesn't help that DeSean Jackson owns (at least in part) a record label and employed two vocalists/"artists" who were tried on murder charges.

The employee of my employee is ... ?

"Hey, DeSean, we noticed that you have some degenerates on your payroll. Could you... fire them? No? Oh..."

I don't think he's tied up in anything crooked in the way of Hernandez, I just think they didn't like his attitude. Make no mistake, he's a good player, but he's not elite and never will be. They'll function without him, but I bet they draft two WRs come May!

woodbuck27
03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/is-eagles-concern-over-desean-jackson-gang-related-or-unfair-032914

Was concern over DeSean legit or did Eagles go too far in cutting WR?

Adrian Hasenmayer ... FOX Sports ... MAR 29, 2014 1:52p ET

mraynrand
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Charles Woodson is inviting Desean to come play for the Raiders. When did he take over as GM?

run pMc
03-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Charles Woodson is inviting Desean to come play for the Raiders. When did he take over as GM?

Better the Raiders than the Seahawks.

Smeefers
03-30-2014, 03:07 PM
N/m

hoosier
03-31-2014, 08:53 AM
I can understand not wanting to shell out more than $10M at a position where talent is relatively easy to come by, but it was their ability to put two fast, elusive guys in space (McCoy and Jackson) that made the Eagles so difficult to defend in 2013. If Jackson's replacement doesn't have the same skill set, this move will not be looking so good.

Guiness
03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
Sure doesn't look like his services are being clamored for. Some talk, a visit, but seems like tire kickers so far. He'll probably still end up ahead considering he pockets the signing bonus from the Eagles, but I'm guessing his ego takes a bit of a hit when he sees the offers coming in. Especially considering he thought he deserved more than the $10.5 he was scheduled to make.

Bretsky
03-31-2014, 07:01 PM
he is visiting the Redskins tomorrow, who have only 4MIL of cap space right now. Should be interesting

bobblehead
03-31-2014, 07:38 PM

I just don't get it. Why bother to "cover" for cutting a headache. Just cut him, wish him well, and say nothing. "the team decided to head in another direction"

pbmax
03-31-2014, 08:05 PM
I just don't get it. Why bother to "cover" for cutting a headache. Just cut him, wish him well, and say nothing. "the team decided to head in another direction"

Team fears backlash of cutting their best receiver. Want a cover story. There aren't many Philly fans that don't understand he is a prima donna.

Guiness
03-31-2014, 11:12 PM
Team fears backlash of cutting their best receiver. Want a cover story. There aren't many Philly fans that don't understand he is a prima donna.

Have the Eagles said anything though? The press is floating hypotheses of course, but they haven't said word one about why they released him, have they?

Bah. Bring him to Green Bay for a year for $4M. :shtf:

There, I'm the first to say it! It would serve two purposes, give the Pack a crazy offense, and a few posters here would be speechless, at least for a while!

mraynrand
04-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Is he any worse than Andre Rison? Doubt it. And even though he's injury prone!, he probably won't get injured every time he's tackled, like Terry Glenn.

pbmax
04-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Is he any worse than Andre Rison? Doubt it. And even though he's injury prone!, he probably won't get injured every time he's tackled, like Terry Glenn.

That was a very strange player. Did the same thing happen to him on the Cowboys?

mraynrand
04-01-2014, 08:43 AM
That was a very strange player. Did the same thing happen to him on the Cowboys?

Parcells used her differently in Dallas. He never had her run patterns across the middle where she could get 'hurt.' Mostly just sideline, fly and post patterns.

Still, if the Packers could handle prima donnas like Glenn and Rison, bet MM could handle Jackson.

Guiness
04-01-2014, 08:43 AM

I always forget about TG's time with the Packers. I remember looking forward to his playing for GB, and I didn't think he had an awful season (just checked, 56 catches for 817 yards) and he played in 15 games. I wonder why they soured on him so quickly? I think they traded him away for a 6th rounder, but not sure.

pbmax
04-01-2014, 09:40 AM
I always forget about TG's time with the Packers. I remember looking forward to his playing for GB, and I didn't think he had an awful season (just checked, 56 catches for 817 yards) and he played in 15 games. I wonder why they soured on him so quickly? I think they traded him away for a 6th rounder, but not sure.

If he had 56 catches he has at least that many concussions and came off the field for a play or two each time. Remarkable healing ability, actually.

run pMc
04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Have to admit, the thought occurred to me, along with the thought that no way TT brings him on board.
He'd be one heck of a dynamic addition to the offense, with him, Jordy, and Cobb in the slot. I think they think he's not Packer people and would be bad in what is otherwise a pretty good locker room. With all the rookies they bring on the roster, I'm not sure you'd want to expose them to someone like Desean.

run pMc
04-01-2014, 10:46 AM
I didn't think Terry Glenn was bad, but he did get banged up a lot and let me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I don't recall there being a lot of good WR options on the GB roster at the time (I could be wrong).

Guiness
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I didn't think Terry Glenn was bad, but he did get banged up a lot and let me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I don't recall there being a lot of good WR options on the GB roster at the time (I could be wrong).

Driver and Ferguson. Javon Walker was a rookie, he's probably the reason they decided they didn't need Glenn after all.

pittstang5
04-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah, DeSean Jackson is anti-Packer People. Putting aside whatever goes on with Desean outside of football - gang stuff, drugs, whatever....the guy is a PITA. Every other year he was bitching about wanted to get paid more and threaten to hold out...blah, blah, blah.

No doubt his ability is top notch, but do you want to sacrifice your locker room? I'm not surprised in the least that the Redskins are first to seek him out. That team is notorious for signing a player for their abilities and looking the other way at "who" they are signing.

mraynrand
04-01-2014, 02:23 PM

She wasn't hurt. But she was a pretty good actor. Didn't like crossing routes - the anti-Driver.

pbmax
04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 40m
On DeSean Jackson's 3-year, $24M deal with Washington, $16M is fully guaranteed and he will make $8M this season.

I wonder, if like a college athletic conference or a church, if his gang gets a cut?

mraynrand
04-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Gangs are somewhat tribal

Fritz
04-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Man, the stupidity just keeps on comin' in Washington. You're bringing a guy who is at the least a semi-head case to a team with weak leadership - a third year QB still trying to find his way, and a rookie head coach.

That should just about torpedo that team. Washington is like Cleveland, but with money.

pbmax
04-06-2014, 06:48 PM
NJ.com says Eagles had nothing to do with Jackson gang story (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/06/nj-com-says-eagles-had-nothing-to-do-with-jackson-gang-story/)

“The conspiracy theories surrounding the story are comical,” Shorr-Parks writes. “NJ.com uncovered Jackson’s ties to alleged gang members through its own reporting. The Eagles played no part in NJ.com’s investigation. When asked about Jackson’s alleged gang ties, "team officials said they were unaware of the ties and would not comment.”

It goes almost without saying that either nj.com or the Eagles lied at that point. Its clear from reporting that nj.com had a team source. They reveal no other reporting that lead them to the police officer who interviewed Jackson about the murder in which his friend/associate was suspected. It could be any number of people one step removed from the team payroll (member of security service, agent of front office folks, former execs, etc.). Indeed the piece reports (unattributed) that the team was worried about his off the field behavior.

KYPack
04-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Man, the stupidity just keeps on comin' in Washington. You're bringing a guy who is at the least a semi-head case to a team with weak leadership - a third year QB still trying to find his way, and a rookie head coach.

That should just about torpedo that team. Washington is like Cleveland, but with money.

Jay Gruden is going to have to suck it up.

This is shaping up to be more than a rookie coach can handle.

I think this whole deal might blow the Skins up for a few years.

Brandon494
04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I think the hiring of Gruden and the signing of Jackson were both good moves for the Skins. I don't think they are a playoff team yet with their defense but their offense will definitely be fun to watch next year. Healthy RG3, pro bowl RB, WR corps of Jackson, Garcon, and Roberts and stud TE Jordan Reed....thats a top 10 offense right there.

Guiness
04-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Been waiting for more on this, and very little being said. The Eagles as an organization is being very close-mouthed. Nick Folk came out and said he had no problem with Jackson, and understands the NFL is a business. Maybe that really is the reason - final accounting, from what I've seen, is that the Eagles have $6M in dead money from him, but save 6.75M in cap space in 2014. Maybe he was just overpriced that that's all.

pbmax
04-20-2014, 11:04 PM
This one has some more Desean detail including that the 'cc' nomenclature in his record label Jaccpot is a common way to avoid using 'ck' in a name. In the culture of gangs, CK apparently is interpreted for Crip Killer, something someone who needs forbearance from or perhaps sympathizes with that particular gang might avoid.

Nothing in the piece though in new information, it still, to me, looks like a Chip Kelly decision to remove a potential headache.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-wide-receiver-desean-jacksons-path-to-the-nfl-wound-through-gang-territory/2014/04/16/355195dc-c197-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

mraynrand
04-21-2014, 08:03 AM
This one has some more Desean detail including that the 'cc' nomenclature in his record label Jaccpot is a common way to avoid using 'ck' in a name. In the culture of gangs, CK apparently is interpreted for Crip Killer, something someone who needs forbearance from or perhaps sympathizes with that particular gang might avoid.

Nothing in the piece though in new information, it still, to me, looks like a Chip Kelly decision to remove a potential headache.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-wide-receiver-desean-jacksons-path-to-the-nfl-wound-through-gang-territory/2014/04/16/355195dc-c197-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

Forbearance is of central importance among gang discussion topics

Chip Kelly?
Colin Kaepernick?

http://tothestickymatandbeyond.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/whoa-thumb.jpg