PDA

View Full Version : Poor Reporter Math

pbmax
03-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Affordable, solid: 4 years, $14.25 million
Unaffordable panic: 3 yr(s) / $11,250,000

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jc-tretter-to-get-first-stab-at-packers-center-job-b99235183z1-252842491.html

bobblehead
03-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Affordable, solid: 4 years, $14.25 million
Unaffordable panic: 3 yr(s) / $11,250,000

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jc-tretter-to-get-first-stab-at-packers-center-job-b99235183z1-252842491.html

Yea, not just reporters.

On a side note, this is about the 4th time I have seen MM talk about using the DL "different". I am sensing there was a riff between him and Dom last year about some things. Its impossible to tell which one of them got their way last year, but the opposite is going to happen this year by the sounds of things. I lean towards Dom did what he wanted mostly, but this year he will do things MM's way. Just the impression I get.

red
03-29-2014, 11:21 AM
who is the 3 year 11.25 million guy pb? i couldn't find that in the article

pbmax
03-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Brad Jones.

red
03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
thank you

pbmax
03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Yea, not just reporters.

On a side note, this is about the 4th time I have seen MM talk about using the DL "different". I am sensing there was a riff between him and Dom last year about some things. Its impossible to tell which one of them got their way last year, but the opposite is going to happen this year by the sounds of things. I lean towards Dom did what he wanted mostly, but this year he will do things MM's way. Just the impression I get.

McCarthy said that many of the packages they wanted to use last year got blindsided by injuries (Neal and Matthews together on one side).

I think Peppers is a signing, that partially, solves the problem of not enough Neal type players. Basically they are the elephants, one backs up the other if there are injuries.

mraynrand
03-29-2014, 11:30 AM

The times they haven't had a replacement, they've panicked and paid premium contracts. Ryan Grant, A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones can all attest to that.

It's Brad Jones

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/3/22/4134960/green-bay-packers-brad-jones-contract-3-years-11-75-million

Joemailman
03-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Yea, not just reporters.

I agree. MM seems to be siding with Raji in the sense that he seems to be saying Raji wasn't being used correctly. The acquisition of Peppers is interesting. Was that McCarthy's idea? Or was that a result of Capers basically saying "I don't have the guys I need to do what you're saying you want me to do?"

red
03-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I agree. MM seems to be siding with Raji in the sense that he seems to be saying Raji wasn't being used correctly. The acquisition of Peppers is interesting. Was that McCarthy's idea? Or was that a result of Capers basically saying "I don't have the guys I need to do what you're saying you want me to do?"

the problem is that, according to PFF, raji took 120-somesnaps at NT last year, out of his total of 5-600 snaps. and although he didn't take enough snaps at NT to qualify for the NT rankings, he looks like he performed very poorly at that position too

so the argument that he looked like shit because he was playing in the wrong position, and now that he's moved back to his natural NT position he'll be fine, might not hold too much water

mraynrand
03-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Raji tanked. Everyone knows it. He has the talent to play better. It's up to him.

Bretsky
03-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Brad Jones.

What a shit contract regardless

bobblehead
03-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Incidentally I am one of the few who thought we should have matched that offer to EDS.

smuggler
03-30-2014, 03:01 AM
No, I'd prefer to keep Cobb to EDS, thanks.

Patler
03-30-2014, 07:48 AM
The Brad Jone contract was nothing. When you have $125 million to spend, and 30 guys or so will be well under $1M each, probably costing a combined $20M or so against the cap, overpaying a position for a year or two (or three) is peanuts if you have no other cheaper player who can play as well, even if it is at a mediocre level.

Fans have come to dislike Brad Jones, so they find his contract outrageous. If TT had signed a Brad Jones clone from another team to the same contract, I suspect many of those who complain about Jones would have found it a smart signing to get a guy who had starting experience both outside and inside, and who played virtually every snap after taking over as a starter the previous season, especially since the contract allows the team to part ways with him at anytime and not sustain a significant cap hit. It is basically a pay as you go contract.

Is he being paid more than he is worth? Probably, but every team has those types of players. Jones lucked out. He played a position the Packers were thin at, he had experience, played the best year of his career primarilly because he stayed healthy, and became a free agent.

mraynrand
03-30-2014, 11:57 AM
I'd like to upgrade ILB, but I'm not losing sleep over Brad Jones' contract. Packers improve health-wise, improve at safety, and you can easily tolerate Jones as a 'weak link' on defense.

bobblehead
03-30-2014, 01:03 PM
No, I'd prefer to keep Cobb to EDS, thanks.

You think its either or? You sure we will now be able to keep cobb and Nelson? You think EDS contract is prohibitive?