PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Predicts.....

The Shadow
04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Ted will swap a 3rd round position to move up to nab Clinton Dix.

BZnDallas
04-03-2014, 09:21 PM
I think I'd be ok with trading up for HaHa... if its ok to make a prediction of my own?
I think if TT trades that 3 to move up its because he's going for Ebron... Ebron takes our offense to a different level... then I think he'll take a S in the 2nd or with the comp 3rd...

however I'd prefer TT go S in the 1st and keep both 3rds if at all possible...
the draft I'd love to see, rd. 1 - Pryor rd. 2 ILB like maybe Preston from Louisville... he and Pryor have some experience together maybe it would help them both being able to work together... with my rd. 3 picks I'd love to have TE CJ Federwhatever from Iowa and WR Abberdaris(sp?) from Wisconsin in whatever order it works to get both... maybe go C in the 4th rd, any chance Martin falls? prolly not... anyway thats my prediction for a draft with no trades...

RashanGary
04-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Ted will swap a 3rd round position to move up to nab Clinton Dix.

Oh gosh, a fs with 4.6 speed....... I don't like it. There is on position I love seeing pure speed atore than any other, and it's free safety. I loved seeing qbs throw up balls thinking there was no way in hell Collins would get over only to find out after, he got over. Earl Thimas, Ed Reed in his prime, Collins....... Today's fs are best when they're fast!!!

RashanGary
04-03-2014, 09:23 PM
4.35 -4.39.......that's what I like. And not just fast, instinctive, tackling machines with ball skills and work ethic!!

pbmax
04-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Oh gosh, a fs with 4.6 speed....... I don't like it. There is on position I love seeing pure speed atore than any other, and it's free safety. I loved seeing qbs throw up balls thinking there was no way in hell Collins would get over only to find out after, he got over. Earl Thimas, Ed Reed in his prime, Collins....... Today's fs are best when they're fast!!!

Is he actually that slow or is that a bad combine performance? Does he actually cover ground effectively on tape?

Joemailman
04-03-2014, 10:05 PM
I think TT would have to trade up to the 13 spot to get Dix. Bears need a Safety as bad as the Packers do. TT would probably have to trade his 2nd to move up that far.

Justin, Ed Reed ran a 4.57 at the Combine. Earl Thomas ran a 4.43 and a 4.37 at his Pro Day. Not all great Free Safeties are as fast as Collins was.

The Shadow
04-03-2014, 10:06 PM
I think Ted sees a fast, ballhawking FS is the missing piece - and will do what is necessary.

Bretsky
04-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Is he actually that slow or is that a bad combine performance? Does he actually cover ground effectively on tape?

IMO he plays fast on tape; he's smart and he's the ballhawk safety of this years draft

He's very different than Prior. With Prior he's decent to the ball and a kick ass tackler who likes aying the wood on people.

If you want your safety to intercept passes and have great ball sense (compared with Byrd) Haha is your guy. If you want an intimidating all around safety who you can run blitz and send after the QB Prior is the guy.

Everybody has these guys rated 1 and 2. The Eagles apparently crave the safeties...as do the Bears. Ravens as well. There are a ton of teams with needs at safeties.

I'm an Ebron guy; after Ebron I'd be fine with either safety or Mosley.....but I lean toward the safeties.

Bretsky
04-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I think TT would have to trade up to the 13 spot to get Dix. Bears need a Safety as bad as the Packers do. TT would probably have to trade his 2nd to move up that far.

Justin, Ed Reed ran a 4.57 at the Combine. Earl Thomas ran a 4.43 and a 4.37 at his Pro Day. Not all great Free Safeties are as fast as Collins was.

I'm not sure I trade up to get the safety. I think there will be some nice safeties there in round 2 or 3 if we don't nab one early.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2014, 11:09 PM
I was studying the safety prospects in the draft and came away a bit unimpressed by them. Then, I looked up Sean Richardson's combine results.

Richardson: 4.52 in 40, 22 reps on bench, 38.5" vertical, 10'8" broad jump, 7.01 in 3 cone
Clinton-Dix: 4.58 in 40, 11 reps on bench, 33" vertical, 9'11" broad jump, 7.16 in 3 cone
Pryor: 4.58 in 40, 18 reps on bench, 34.5" vertical, 9'6" broad jump

Dude has outstanding measurables. The bio on him was fascinating.

Richardson has elite size and speed, and to be entirely frank, this is about all he is bringing to an NFL team as he enters the NFL draft. Fortunately for him, those two traits are highly regarded for the safety position, especially for rookies who will likely serve as backups and on special teams early on. The name of the game for Richardson will be his ability to learn an NFL defense and develop his skills across the board.

STRENGTHS Richardson runs extremely smooth and fast, although he doesn't get to full speed often. When he does, he could compete with the fastest in the league at his position. He has strong ball skills, and when he puts these two traits together, Richardson is an impressive safety. He has the natural ability to start in the NFL if he can shore up different technical weaknesses he has.

WEAKNESSES Sean is, remarkably, mostly a box safety who rarely was given the opportunity to cut it loose on the back end at Vanderbilt. Although he runs around blocks often and is a drag-down tackler, he should be able to play early on in the box in the NFL. He has some serious issues in man coverage, as he was undisciplined in the few exposures he had in college, which could have been a major reason why such an athletic frame was playing so sheltered in the box. He struggled when put in zone coverage, as well, and has a long way to go before his alignments and all-around skill sets are up to par with his athleticism.

Bretsky
04-03-2014, 11:18 PM
What did the game film say on Richardson ??

Freak Out
04-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Bretsky how stoked would you be if the Packers took Borland late?

texaspackerbacker
04-04-2014, 12:43 AM
I absolutely think the Packers need a Safety in the first round. Most of the mock drafts I've seen have both Prior and Clinton-Dix still there at #21, so no need to trade up. The other top item we need is an ILB. I don't see Borland available "late". I'd like to see the Packers get him in the second round. I really don't want to see the packers trade down - like Thompson so often does. We need quality more than quantity. I don't see any urgent need for a TE or Center or other O-Line help or D-Line. I'd rather see us double up on Safety and ILB with the two third round picks than go for something else.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2014, 12:54 AM

Read the bio I posted, and it gives you a pretty good idea of what the game film showed. At Vandy, he played in the box because he needed a lot of work on his coverage skills. Athletically, he was at or near the top of his class. I forgot to add a link to the bio. It was from nfl.com.

Bretsky
04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Bretsky how stoked would you be if the Packers took Borland late?

VERY STOKED
But I think he'll go before our round 3 selections.
Smash mouth football player...John Offerdahl....Zach Thomas

pbmax
04-04-2014, 07:34 AM

Search KYPack on Richardson for game commentary. His comments on SR's play in Packer games was eerily in line with that bio. Physically a marvel, but a little lost in coverage.

Pugger
04-04-2014, 08:01 AM
I was studying the safety prospects in the draft and came away a bit unimpressed by them. Then, I looked up Sean Richardson's combine results.

Richardson: 4.52 in 40, 22 reps on bench, 38.5" vertical, 10'8" broad jump, 7.01 in 3 cone
Clinton-Dix: 4.58 in 40, 11 reps on bench, 33" vertical, 9'11" broad jump, 7.16 in 3 cone
Pryor: 4.58 in 40, 18 reps on bench, 34.5" vertical, 9'6" broad jump

Dude has outstanding measurables. The bio on him was fascinating.

If Ted and the coaches like Richardson's measurables this could be the reason we didn't pursue a S in FA and why they might not trade up for Dix or Pryor?

Patler
04-04-2014, 08:47 AM
If Ted and the coaches like Richardson's measurables this could be the reason we didn't pursue a S in FA and why they might not trade up for Dix or Pryor?

It's likely more than just his measurables, at least as far as signing a FA. In the last 7 games of 2013, Richardson played 150 snaps on defense. Jennings started the games, but played just 165 snaps. The coaches should have a good feel for how Richardson performed in comparison to Jennings in the same games against the same players. They should have a feel for how much better Richardson might be than Jennings, and whether it was worth a substantial cap investment in another safety.

I do expect (and hope) they draft a safety relatively high.

red
04-04-2014, 09:07 AM
It's likely more than just his measurables, at least as far as signing a FA. In the last 7 games of 2013, Richardson played 150 snaps on defense. Jennings started the games, but played just 165 snaps. The coaches should have a good feel for how Richardson performed in comparison to Jennings in the same games against the same players. They should have a feel for how much better Richardson might be than Jennings, and whether it was worth a substantial cap investment in another safety.

I do expect (and hope) they draft a safety relatively high.

then i look at this and ask the same question i have about sherrod. if the coaches liked what they saw from richarson, then why wasn't he starting, or getting more reps, not just splitting them 50/50

jennings had no future with the team at the end of last season, if coaches thought richardson was the future, then why wasn't he getting even more snaps?

jennings had set a pretty low bar to jump over

red
04-04-2014, 09:10 AM
to me, haha is the most complete all around safety in the draft. although he's a bit slow, he runs fast in pads and anticipates well to make up for any lack of speed

he also, like ward, wraps up when he tackles, where pryor and a lot of the others are just big hitters

run pMc
04-04-2014, 09:21 AM

I don't think they'll trade up to take a safety in R1 unless it was for an absolute stud. I don't see that from HaHa or Prior. Then again, I'm no scout.

I look at it this way: if they traded up to 15 and HaHa, Prior and Ebron were there, I'd prefer they take Ebron. I do think they will draft a safety, maybe two, but I think it will be someone more like Jimmie Ward in R2 or Reynolds/Johnson/Boston in mid-late rounds. If your punter is awful, you don't take one in R1 because it's a pressing need...TT isn't gonna chase a safety unless it's a no-brainer.

If Richardson's measurables are comparable and they think he will get better they'll look at other spots instead in R1. No idea if Banjo will bring anything either. There's too much depth in this draft to give up picks, I don't think TT will give up swings at the plate if the pitches in the late rounds look good. 4 picks in the top 100 or whatever will get them somebody to push Hawk/Jones, the WRs, and Quarless, and sort out the S situation, while still giving TT a chance to shore up the depth on DL and OL. BPA all the way.

pbmax
04-04-2014, 10:14 AM
to me, haha is the most complete all around safety in the draft. although he's a bit slow, he runs fast in pads and anticipates well to make up for any lack of speed

he also, like ward, wraps up when he tackles, where pryor and a lot of the others are just big hitters

But does that 40 time mean he is already as good as he is going to get?

red
04-04-2014, 10:19 AM
But does that 40 time mean he is already as good as he is going to get?

maybe

but would you rather get a player you know is already good, or take a guy later that MIGHT, with a lot of things going right, turn out to be as good as him someday, but faster

i think he could still get a bit better

bobblehead
04-04-2014, 10:40 AM
then i look at this and ask the same question i have about sherrod. if the coaches liked what they saw from richarson, then why wasn't he starting, or getting more reps, not just splitting them 50/50

jennings had no future with the team at the end of last season, if coaches thought richardson was the future, then why wasn't he getting even more snaps?

jennings had set a pretty low bar to jump over

Asked and answered. MM absolutely hates (his history shows) taking a guy who has had little practice time and isn't an experienced veteran and inserting him midway through the season. He doesn't believe that such a player can be in position/know his role well enough. The only reason Richardson saw the field at all is due to Jennings et all doing their Richard Pryor on sunset avenue imitation every game.

pbmax
04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
maybe

but would you rather get a player you know is already good, or take a guy later that MIGHT, with a lot of things going right, turn out to be as good as him someday, but faster

i think he could still get a bit better

Thonpson on the other hand probably wants some upside in the first round or he is trading back. Getting a pro ready guy in the first round is a Schottenheimer move to playoff futility if they can't be something more.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2014, 11:38 AM

Richardson got cleared on November 13th. He had not practiced in a year, wasn't a part of the defensive installations, etc. It's surprising he even split time down the stretch, but that was more because Jennings was so awful.

The Shadow
04-13-2014, 10:25 PM
I am now officially waffling.
I now suspect we will target Mosley in the 1st (if available) & draft a Ward or Reynolds later.

Fritz
04-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Thonpson on the other hand probably wants some upside in the first round or he is trading back. Getting a pro ready guy in the first round is a Schottenheimer move to playoff futility if they can't be something more.

Think AJ Hawk...

I really don't think - and I hope he doesn't - that Ted will trade up to get a guy he thinks will be merely a solid if unexciting pro.

In a deep draft, and in a draft-and-develop system, I don't think Ted will trade up unless he thinks the guy he's getting is the next Nick Collins. This year, Ted's got two thirds - a luxury for him - plus two fifths (insert liquor joke here), and my thinking is that he'll just draft his spots and use those extra picks.

Pugger
04-14-2014, 08:52 AM
I don't think they'll trade up to take a safety in R1 unless it was for an absolute stud. I don't see that from HaHa or Prior. Then again, I'm no scout.

I look at it this way: if they traded up to 15 and HaHa, Prior and Ebron were there, I'd prefer they take Ebron. I do think they will draft a safety, maybe two, but I think it will be someone more like Jimmie Ward in R2 or Reynolds/Johnson/Boston in mid-late rounds. If your punter is awful, you don't take one in R1 because it's a pressing need...TT isn't gonna chase a safety unless it's a no-brainer.

If Richardson's measurables are comparable and they think he will get better they'll look at other spots instead in R1. No idea if Banjo will bring anything either. There's too much depth in this draft to give up picks, I don't think TT will give up swings at the plate if the pitches in the late rounds look good. 4 picks in the top 100 or whatever will get them somebody to push Hawk/Jones, the WRs, and Quarless, and sort out the S situation, while still giving TT a chance to shore up the depth on DL and OL. BPA all the way.

If safety is the top priority for TT and Ha-Ha and Pryor are gone early Ted might trade down so he can nab Jimmie Ward early in the 2nd. If he stands pat and waits for pick #53 Ward most likely will be long gone.

Fritz
04-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Why is Jimmie Ward so much better than Brooks or Reynolds? The guy is a little undersized and played at a smaller school.

Joemailman
04-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Why is Jimmie Ward so much better than Brooks or Reynolds? The guy is a little undersized and played at a smaller school.

A lot of people were impressed with Ward at the Senior Bowl. I wonder though if a lot of the mock drafts have him rated higher than most GM's do.

The Shadow
04-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Waffling again. After watching CJ Mosley tape, I'm just not all that impressed. What about Ted swapping his #2 for a #3 to move up a bit - and landing WR Evans in the first? Then with 3 3rd round picks, gets Reynolds, Borland and the TE from Iowa?

pbmax
04-15-2014, 09:01 AM
A lot of people were impressed with Ward at the Senior Bowl. I wonder though if a lot of the mock drafts have him rated higher than most GM's do.

That would fit Ted to a T, Senior Bowl standout who is sitting there is the 2nd round for him. If he gets there.

Smidgeon
04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
I just want a pro bowler. Haven't drafted one for a few years.

mraynrand
04-15-2014, 11:58 AM

that remains to be seen

Smidgeon
04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
that remains to be seen

Do you think any of the recent draft picks have that in them? I can think of Hayward, but if he can't stay healthy...

ThunderDan
04-15-2014, 12:28 PM

In the last two years we have had the:
2012 D Rookie of the Year
2013 O Rookie of the Year

Smidgeon
04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Touche. I keep forgetting Lacy. :$

mraynrand
04-15-2014, 01:52 PM

I thought Luke Kuechly won DROY in 2012 (AP) (Did Hayward get a different award?)

mraynrand
04-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Do you think any of the recent draft picks have that in them? I can think of Hayward, but if he can't stay healthy...

Other than Hayward and Lacy, Daniels has a shot, and there are a lot of potential guys who are too young/have too long an injury history to tell yet: Neal, Perry, Bakhtiari, Jones, Hyde. Andrew Datko will not be a pro bowler.

Smidgeon
04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Other than Hayward and Lacy, Daniels has a shot, and there are a lot of potential guys who are too young/have too long an injury history to tell yet: Neal, Perry, Bakhtiari, Jones, Hyde. Andrew Datko will not be a pro bowler.

None of those listed really strikes me as the type of player that will rise above. They all may be good football players, but the only one I think has the potential there is Jones. And not because he flashed the pro-bowl potential (except the singular play where he walked the LT back for a sack), but because Dline can take a while to shine. Daniels, I think, will be roughly Cullen Jenkins level: not quite probowl, but still really good. Maybe I'm being wistian in my assessment of the potential talent of the draft picks aside from Lacy and Hayward, but outside those two, no player has come in and lit up the field since Clay.

Brandon494
04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
I thought Luke Kuechly won DROY in 2012 (AP) (Did Hayward get a different award?)

Hayward didn't win it

mraynrand
04-15-2014, 04:03 PM
None of those listed really strikes me as the type of player that will rise above. They all may be good football players, but the only one I think has the potential there is Jones. And not because he flashed the pro-bowl potential (except the singular play where he walked the LT back for a sack), but because Dline can take a while to shine. Daniels, I think, will be roughly Cullen Jenkins level: not quite probowl, but still really good. Maybe I'm being wistian in my assessment of the potential talent of the draft picks aside from Lacy and Hayward, but outside those two, no player has come in and lit up the field since Clay.

It's especially hard to tell, because Capers misuses everyone!

The Shadow
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm still waffling about the draft like a Swedish schoolgirl.
I NOW am convinced that Jimmie Ward is TT's guy.

pbmax
04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm still waffling about the draft like a Swedish schoolgirl.
I NOW am convinced that Jimmie Ward is TT's guy.

Then if you hear the words every Packer fan has become used to during the Packers pick (on tape delay, after the commercial):

"We have a trade ..."

And Ted drops back into the 2nd, you know you have it right.

run pMc
04-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Then if you hear the words every Packer fan has become used to during the Packers pick (on tape delay, after the commercial):

"We have a trade ..."

And Ted drops back into the 2nd, you know you have it right.

If he trades his 21 for, say picks 36 and 68 and takes Jimmie Ward at 36 I'd probably be ok with that. I think he's a reach at 21 and there will be better values on the board but if he's looking for R2/R3 quantity picks and doesn't blow them a la Patrick Lee/Brian Brohm I'd be ok. Lots of depth in this draft.

And yet -- if TT trades down with the players likely still on the board at 21, I'll be wondering (aloud, with colorful language) what TT is thinking/doing.

This is probably why I will not be tuning in real-time on draft night.

The Shadow
04-20-2014, 09:18 PM
After watching tape of LB Max Bullough, I am impressed. Has a bit of old-school Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus vibe.
Like him a lot.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2014, 10:20 PM
After watching tape of LB Max Bullough, I am impressed. Has a bit of old-school Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus vibe.
Like him a lot.

Some of Nitschke's worst days, and the Packers in general back then were spent chasing Tarkenton. Nowadays, half the teams have Tarkenton-types. Point being: I don't want somebody like Bullough when we face Kaepernick, Wilson, or Griffin. I want somebody like Shazier at ILB. That is compounded by the fact the Packer ILBs have a lot of coverage responsibilities.

Fritz
04-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Some of Nitschke's worst days, and the Packers in general back then were spent chasing Tarkenton. Nowadays, half the teams have Tarkenton-types. Point being: I don't want somebody like Bullough when we face Kaepernick, Wilson, or Griffin. I want somebody like Shazier at ILB. That is compounded by the fact the Packer ILBs have a lot of coverage responsibilities.

As someone who remembers watching Tarkenton escape a sure sack, run fifteen yards, then dance daintily out of bounds, I have to agree. I don't want another lumbering inside linebacker. I want speed.

pbmax
04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
What if the stout lumbering guy takes Hawk's position as Mack and let's Hawk run wild at Buck? New big guy would be responsible for taking on a Guard or FB/TE and Hawk would be expected to clean up on the tackles.

mraynrand
04-21-2014, 04:04 PM
What if the stout lumbering guy takes Hawk's position as Mack and let's Hawk run wild at Buck? New big guy would be responsible for taking on a Guard or FB/TE and Hawk would be expected to clean up on the tackles.

excuse me, what's a FB?

Zool
04-21-2014, 04:15 PM
excuse me, what's a FB?

That's the offensive version of a lumbering oaf.

The Shadow
05-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Ok, the waffling is officially over.
My last prediction for the draft : the Packers will select Eric Ebron (if he's on the board) or a WR.

Fritz
05-04-2014, 08:17 AM
I think that this would be true, but I also think Ebron will be gone by the time the Packers pick.

I think TT either sits tight and picks someone we all argue about, or trades back.

woodbuck27
05-06-2014, 05:48 AM
If he trades his 21 for, say picks 36 and 68 and takes Jimmie Ward at 36 I'd probably be ok with that. I think he's a reach at 21 and there will be better values on the board but if he's looking for R2/R3 quantity picks and doesn't blow them a la Patrick Lee/Brian Brohm I'd be ok. Lots of depth in this draft.

And yet -- if TT trades down with the players likely still on the board at 21, I'll be wondering (aloud, with colorful language) what TT is thinking/doing.

This is probably why I will not be tuning in real-time on draft night.

Your perceiving a possible trade down with the Washington Redskins and maybe as it appears to be of late in some mocks; FS Hasean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix - Alabama slipping all the way to the Packers NO. 21 pick. Washington has need at Safety (Ha Ha Clinton-Dix), OG - (maybe?) Xavier Su'a-Filo UCLA and RT (and that's a wait and see at current pick NO.34). If I was deciding what to do with Pick NO. 34. I'd wait and see where the board stood with one of:

OT's :Cyrus Kouandjio - Alabama or Morgan Moses - Virginia or JaWuan James - Tennessee

also fast rising OG - Joel Bitonio - Nevada should be in play.

If TT trades down with anyone of the following on the board he's IMO acting "Chicken Shit" with that maneuver:

FS Hasean Clinton-Dix - Alabama

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2028292/hasean-clinton-dix

LBer Ryan Shazier - Ohio State (over friendly with say Bill Belichick and the NE Patriots. Come on Teddy take the cream.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824417/ryan-shazier

WR Brandin Cooks - Oregon State ...See also WR's

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1880880/brandin-cooks

There's also going to be these prospects in play at Pick NO. 21:

DT's *Louis Nix - Notre Dame and Timmy Jernigan - Florida State

WR's - Margise Lee - USC and Allen Robinson - Penn State and SIZE in play.

As well solid CB's (maybe?) Justin Gilbert - Oklahoma State or Kyle Fuller - Virginia Tech.

Maybe? Ted Thompson loves Jason Verrett -TCU.

I hope that Ted Thompson shows the parts to select the very BPA at Pick NO. 21.

To go with the best CREAM.