PDA

View Full Version : EDS - a look back

Patler
04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
I have to admit, I was hoping they would find a way to keep him, mostly because they have no one with any experience there at all. But, he's gone, so the question now is, how difficult will it be to replace him?

I won't try to answer, because I really don't know, but some interesting facts I found today that apply to any discussion about replacing him include:

- He was responsible for 22 bad runs (per JSO). That was the most on the team. Bakhtiari was second with 15 1/2.

- EDS gave up 6 sacks, which was the most by a Packers' center during the period of 1991-2013. Frank Winters has the second most with 4 1/2 in 1994.

- While responsible for a lot of sacks for a center, he was deemed responsible for only 11 1/2 pressures.

Some of you who know line play better than I, does this mean EDS was the worst pass blocking center since 1991, and the worst runner blocker on the line in 2013? If that's the case, making yourself try someone new by not re-signing EDS, in the hopes of getting better, might have been a good decision by the team.

If the above stats do not show EDS as having been the worst pass blocking center since 1991, and the worst runner blocker on the line in 2013, how can we explain JSO's stats?

Of course, the Packers have had a good run of decent quality centers; Winters, Flanagan Wells; so there might not be a lot of shame even if EDS doesn't measure up to those who have played since 1991.

If he really was mediocre at best, how much risk is there in going to someone else? How difficult is it to find mediocrity at center?

Again, I'm trying to look at this objectively, because I wanted them to sign him, but let the battle for the job carry on during the off-season,

Zool
04-04-2014, 09:46 AM
I've been railing on him since late last season when he kept getting walked backwards in pass pro. I wish they had his pressures listed because, to the untrained eye/memory, his number would seem to be high. Enough with the small centers with good hands already. Get a mean guy who doesn't get stomped on by Suh.

denverYooper
04-04-2014, 10:07 AM
I always thought he got the benefit of being between a solid guard duo.

pbmax
04-04-2014, 10:16 AM
EDS was a big improvement over Saturday in run blocking but perhaps the pass blocking was closer than I thought. Though I wonder of Saturday would hold the record for bad pass pro if he started the entire season. At some point, a coach is not going to allow someone to set the record, not to protect the player, but to protect the QB and the coaches job.

Patler
04-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Saturday started 14 games in 2012. JSO had him for 12 pressures, 2 sacks and 18 bad runs. As I recall, he played whole games when he started.

EDS started all 17 in 2013, but missed significant time in a couple, so he might not have played too much more than Saturday did in 2012. Was he really all that much of an improvement over Saturday this year? He looked like it the three games he played at center in 2012, but this year, statistically, he wasn't much different than Saturday in 2012.

Was Saturday not as bad as I thought, and EDS not as good as I thought?

KYPack
04-04-2014, 11:02 AM
I sort of figured EDS as a C+ student, nothing flashy, but capable.

You can be wrong in your assumptions because you are rooting for the guy to do well.

Maybe EDS WAS worse than you think.

He looked OK compared to Saturday, but old Jeff was totally out of gas. At the end, Saturday couldn't even do much on double team blocks.

I think we can do better than EDS, we'll have to.

pbmax
04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Saturday started 14 games in 2012. JSO had him for 12 pressures, 2 sacks and 18 bad runs. As I recall, he played whole games when he started.

EDS started all 17 in 2013, but missed significant time in a couple, so he might not have played too much more than Saturday did in 2012. Was he really all that much of an improvement over Saturday this year? He looked like it the three games he played at center in 2012, but this year, statistically, he wasn't much different than Saturday in 2012.

Was Saturday not as bad as I thought, and EDS not as good as I thought?

Makes you wonder why Rodgers was lobbying for EDS. It doesn't seem to be pass pro.

smuggler
04-05-2014, 12:05 AM
The exchange.

woodbuck27
04-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I sort of figured EDS as a C+ student, nothing flashy, but capable.

You can be wrong in your assumptions because you are rooting for the guy to do well.

Maybe EDS WAS worse than you think.

He looked OK compared to Saturday, but old Jeff was totally out of gas. At the end, Saturday couldn't even do much on double team blocks.

I think we can do better than EDS, we'll have to.

TT will have to help MM and the OL coach do better than E D-S.

I'm a little surprized that again we need at Center.

Patler
04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
TT will have to help MM and the OL coach do better than E D-S.

I'm a little surprized that again we need at Center.

Ya, it is always disappointing to fans when replacements take a few years, and 2013 will be the thrid year trying to replace Wells. But I think there is hope that Tretter could be a long term answer, and maybe would have been last year, but for his broken ankle.

Obviously, I don't follow other rosters as closely as I do the Packers', but it just seems that the Packers development is continuously undermined more than most by significant injuries. Tretter, Franklin, Dorsey, Perry, Worthy, Hayward, Sherrod, Bulaga, Neal, Quarless, Starks, etc. It just keeps going on and on. For too many draft picks, their development as pros is more about getting healed and on the field than it is about showing what they can do.

Kiwon
04-05-2014, 09:36 AM
EDS - Erectile Dysfunction Syndrome

I was surprised he lasted as long as he did with 25 career starts. Not bad for an undrafted player. Also surprising that he earned himself a 4-year FA contract. Although not as talented as Aaron Kampman, it struck me that the "overachiever" label fit.

run pMc
04-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Good for EDS for getting the money he did. 4yr/$14.25M, with 7.25 guaranteed.

I'm not sure he was worth it. He'll be just ok, and starting next offseason they'll always look to replace him. I don't think his ceiling can go much higher, and TT can find a replacement. FWIW, Tretter is bigger, and probably smarter/more athletic (EDS goes 6'2" 300lb and was a small school UDFA). Durability and actual experience are the question marks with Tretter. No idea about other candidates on the roster not named Lang (who should stay at RG IMO).

Wouldn't be surprised if they pluck someone from the PS or bring in some priority signing UDFA when R7 ends. They never seem to be short of guys like that for Campen to develop.

Bretsky
04-05-2014, 01:46 PM
I can't say this surprises me much. I've always considered a well below average starter who will get grossly overpaid by somebody....like Brad Jones at LB :) We don't need another one of those

mraynrand
04-05-2014, 05:56 PM
The Packers continue to pay a terrible price for the loss of Scott Wells.

pbmax
04-05-2014, 10:41 PM
The Packers continue to pay a terrible price for the loss of Scott Wells.

And would still be paying for it given his injuries had he stayed.

Bretsky
04-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Wells wanted max money; in our offense we should not invest that much at C

Patler
04-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Wells was 31 at the time, with a spotty injury history, although he had not missed games the previous two seasons while playing with several injuries. St. Louis signed him to a 4 year, $24 M, contract that included $13 M guaranteed. He has missed 13 games in his two seasons at St. Louis, and there was some talk that they would release him this year to save his $4.5 M. salary. More recent articles suggest that with the unexpectedly large salary cap increase for 2014, they are now leaning toward keeping Wells. Articles from St. Louis suggest he has been OK in pass protection, but disappointing in run blocking, with his backup grading out better in the run game. Also, the Rams have Barrett Jones who could be moved back to center from guard where the have used him mostly.

Even though the position remains unsettled in GB, that is a contract I am glad they avoided.