PDA

View Full Version : Riddell's SpeedFlex Helmet

Joemailman
04-04-2014, 09:05 PM
http://edge.si.com/edge/2014/04/03/riddells-new-speedflex-helmet?eref=sihp

When one object meets another with significant force—say a strong safety missiling into a receiver—something’s got to give. The sports equipment company Riddell has determined it should be the helmet. While traditional football helmets have encased the head in a rigid shell (remember the old term brain bucket?), Riddell’s new SpeedFlex helmet is designed to flex in a way that directs the force of impact (that incoming strong safety) away from a player’s head.

Six NCAA Teams have signed on. Thoughts?

bobblehead
04-05-2014, 02:39 AM
It sounds very similar to a concept I pimped 2 years ago, but wasn't smart enough to actually design. I was trying to figure out how to make a double shell helmet that would "snap" out of place deflecting the energy away from the head, then could be simply reset before the next play.

bobblehead
04-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Incidentally I am going on record that giving players added protection to the noggin will cause many of them to play with absolute reckless abandon and lead to more injuries.

Patler
04-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Incidentally I am going on record that giving players added protection to the noggin will cause many of them to play with absolute reckless abandon and lead to more injuries.

That argument has proven to be true in hockey, where mandatory helmet use is relatively recent.

Patler
04-05-2014, 07:01 AM
In addition, Riddell has developed what it calls its InSite Impact Response System (available universally this season), which uses a sensory pad inside the helmet liner to measure impact severity and even transfer alerts to the sideline. InSite does not diagnose concussions, but it does measure head impacts, using Riddell’s data from more than two million points of on-field impact to create a “head impact exposure metric” for measurement in four areas: linear and rotational acceleration, duration and location. Personalized alerts set different thresholds for individual players.

Next, the system will have a red LED on the outside of the helmet to indicate players to be removed from the game for concussion evaluation. I can see it now, after every play all players will line up along the line of scrimmage, and the game officials will pass along in inspection, taping players on the chest who need to leave the game.

Instead of a player getting his "bell rung", we will say he got his "lamp lit".

pbmax
04-05-2014, 09:20 AM

That argument has proven to be true in hockey, where mandatory helmet use is relatively recent.

I agree. Which is why Goodell's approach (and the ever-present technological advance) in the end will not improve the on-field situation.

pbmax
04-05-2014, 09:26 AM

I like it. It would then give coaches a reason to teach different techniques, to keep them in the game.

KYPack
04-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Next, the system will have a red LED on the outside of the helmet to indicate players to be removed from the game for concussion evaluation. I can see it now, after every play all players will line up along the line of scrimmage, and the game officials will pass along in inspection, taping players on the chest who need to leave the game.

it occurred to me last season that there might be a need for a penalty box or containment area for players under concussion evaluation. Remember last season when Bahk was being evaluated? Somehow, he escaped his minders and ran back into the game & did some goofy shit when they realized he had to go back on the sideline.

Call it the bell room or something and cage 'em up 'til they are cleared.

pbmax
04-05-2014, 10:49 AM
it occurred to me last season that there might be a need for a penalty box or containment area for players under concussion evaluation. Remember last season when Bahk was being evaluated? Somehow, he escaped his minders and ran back into the game & did some goofy shit when they realized he had to go back on the sideline.

Call it the bell room or something and cage 'em up 'til they are cleared.

They nearly passed an addition to the concussion protocol that forced teams to take the player back to the locker room for the eval. Lot of opposition to doing it on the sideline. There was also talk of a mobile "head shed".

channtheman
04-05-2014, 01:13 PM

I can see it now. All 5 OL and the 3-4 DL have their "lamp lit" after every play. With games now extending well into the 4.5 to 5 hour range to stop and evaluate players, the helmets get thrown in the trash. :lol:

mraynrand
04-05-2014, 06:00 PM
It's too late to save me, but I really coulda used a Riddell SpeedFlex cup when I played football.