PDA

View Full Version : TT goes crazy...

Just Jeff
04-08-2014, 06:14 AM
at least for him, and still comes out on the bottom.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/26/2014-nfl-free-agency-grades-nfc/

I for one, love the bottom. Draft and develop is the only way. The Peppers moves was reckless and bad. Fortunately, the Bares, Lyons, and Queens made more mistakes in FA and thus more failures.

pbmax
04-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Its always a good sign to lose the offseason.

run pMc
04-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Seattle won both offseason and postseason.
They were the rare case since that hasn't happened since the early days of free agency where SF and DAL were fighting over guys like Kevin Gogan, Deion Sanders and Charles Haley.

Daniel Snyder tried that more recently and it hasn't worked out so good. I don't think the league and salary cap is really setup like that anymore. "Any given sunday", "parity" and such. Usually the offseason winner ends up with a Top 10 draft pick after the season.

I don't mind that they are a Draft/Develop philosophy, it helps the health of their cap and *in theory* younger players should have less mileage and thus be healthier. Veteran players bring valuable experience and leadership, so that's the trade off.

One thing is obvious: it's a passing league, and you absolutely have to have a good QB and an at least adequate OL/supporting cast. If you're spending any dough, it's on a QB. If you can find one in the draft a la Wilson, it can be a franchise saver.

run pMc
04-08-2014, 10:41 AM
FWIW I'm on the fence with the Peppers signing. I think with Neal and Perry you have two guys who could play the elephant already, so they either have other plans or are counting on those guys missing a lot of games.
The way his contract is structured makes me think Peppers is likely gone after this season unless he has a Pro Bowl type of year, so maybe they are trying to buy the other guys time to learn the position from a veteran, even if it's one whose motor can run hot-and-cold.

That said, his reputation alone will draw attention away from Daniels, Matthews, etc., and you know he's gonna bring it at least twice a year against the Bears. It's an unfair comparison to say that I'd take Peppers and a late round draft pick DL over C.J.Wilson and Erik Walden, but when you think about the contracts and likely production, it's true.

mraynrand
04-08-2014, 01:05 PM
The Peppers moves was reckless

It was pretty reckless. Packers are going to hell.

http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Picture-142.png

denverYooper
04-09-2014, 09:08 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/01/21/science/castaway533.jpg

Fritz
04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
It was pretty reckless. Packers are going to hell.

http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Picture-142.png

WHO IS THAT?? WOW!!

Brandon494
04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Christina Aguilera, too bad she looks like this now....

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/849219/thumbs/o-CHRISTINA-AGUILERA-HAIR-570.jpg?7

mraynrand
04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Christina Aguilera, too bad she looks like this now....

Actually, I think it it Taylor Momsen, from the band "The Pretty Reckless" their new album is "Going to Hell" and thus I explained the 'joke.' My joke = Total Fail.

mraynrand
04-09-2014, 10:41 AM
BTW, that pic of Christina Aguilera: Yikes.

wist43
04-09-2014, 11:32 AM
If we had a decent Defensive Coordinator I would love the Peppers signing - but as it is, it's probably a waste of money.

Mr. Spraypaintedhair has pretty much misused everyone TT brings in, so it's difficult to have too much enthusiasm for the signing, or for any personnel they bring in on the defensive side of the ball.

If Capers actually did his job next year, we could have a good shot at the SB; if he do what he do, we're looking at another early playoff exit - and hopefully he will finally be pushed out the door.

run pMc
04-09-2014, 12:39 PM
If we had a decent Defensive Coordinator I would love the Peppers signing - but as it is, it's probably a waste of money.

Mr. Spraypaintedhair has pretty much misused everyone TT brings in, so it's difficult to have too much enthusiasm for the signing, or for any personnel they bring in on the defensive side of the ball.

If Capers actually did his job next year, we could have a good shot at the SB; if he do what he do, we're looking at another early playoff exit - and hopefully he will finally be pushed out the door.

I think this year the defense will have some different wrinkles.

When M3 brought in Capers and went to the 3-4 he did it because he felt and it was hard to defend because it was less predictable and less common in the league than a 4-3. I think more teams have switched to a 3-4 or brought in 3-4 principles (much like teams have adopted Cover 2 Defense and West Coast Offense concepts) so it's not so hard to prepare for, plus if there's enough game tape you can pick out tendencies and player weaknesses.

If there are some new wrinkles this year and less injuries I think the defense will improve. Peppers, Neal, and Perry can all play the elephant, so if one (or even two) of them get hurt they don't have to scrap it. I'd bet they could even teach Mulumba to play elephant. Getting some taller more athletic DL will help against the mobile QBs like Kaepernick, and should also help their pass rush -- which was a real sore spot last year.

I think Capers was hamstrung by injuries and youth, some of that was on him and his staff teaching these guys (communication in the secondary was not up to par), some of that was on TT. Some of it is also on the players themselves for not properly executing what is called.
Finally, it used to be a rarity to have a defenses with rookie starters; seems like GB has had a larger % than other teams starting. Not saying Capers needs to dumb down his system -- and maybe he had to -- but it likely limits the scheme.

I realize I sound like a Capers apologist; I know you don't like him. I actually think if he had a more veteran/healthy defense it would play better. If he can't get the team to improve to middle-of-the road then I agree they should look elsewhere for a young up-and-coming DC.

I guess I'm a year away from being on the fire Capers bandwagon.

smuggler
04-09-2014, 02:47 PM
If they actually use him as a DE in a four man front alongside Daniels as the 3tech and with Neal as the other DE, I would be thrilled. I doubt we see it too much this season, tho.

pbmax
04-09-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mccarthy-capers-balance-their-visions-for-packers-defense-b99242045z1-254290371.html

Silverstein on the "Come To Jesus" meeting between Mike and Dom after the season ended. Spoon throws out a non-sourced suggestion that a failure to improve might be the final nail in Capers coffin, but he has nothing specific to hang it on.

Mostly its a rehash about using all available player groups with players in a position to make the most of their talent. I take this to mean approach D like M3 approaches offense. If M3 wants to pass on your D, he is sending out 4 wides even if the 4th is a street FA picked up 3 weeks prior. Brave and stubborn is McCarthy. It does get some results though. Perhaps the greatest strength of the O coaches is getting young players ready to play fast.

Its unclear on D what the emphasis will be. Specific player groups (like Neal/Matthews tandem pass rushing in nickel regardless of injuries elsewhere) or players in unique roles, like Hyde or Hayward in Woodson's old role.