PDA

View Full Version : Hyde At Safety? Hasn't Been Told Yet

pbmax
04-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 22m
Micah Hyde hasn't been told where he'll play in 2014, but is ready for whatever role awaits him in #Packers' defense http://pck.rs/1niuckg

“I’m getting tweeted at and I have my family asking me and my friends asking me, ‘I heard you’re playing safety. I heard you’re playing safety,’ ” Hyde said. “And I’m just like, ‘Yo, I haven’t heard anything. You guys know more than I know.’ ”

Like Woodson's previously inevitable move to safety, 3 years of rumors, one year at position, I put the odds of Hyde at safety as a starter at less than 33%.

Pugger
04-13-2014, 09:54 AM
The only way he plays safety IMO is if we don't draft one next month or he beats out the rookie. I'm not all that comfortable with only have 3 safeties and Hyde on the roster going into 2014.

Rutnstrut
04-13-2014, 02:28 PM
The only way he plays safety IMO is if we don't draft one next month or he beats out the rookie. I'm not all that comfortable with only have 3 safeties and Hyde on the roster going into 2014.

It'll be fine, TT and Capers have it covered I'm sure. It's not like they'd go into a season without a solid plan...

smuggler
04-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Fuuuuck.

BZnDallas
04-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I know its been discussed a bit on here before, but I wouldn't be surprised if TTs way to try and fix the Safety position would be to double dip in the draft this year... I know it wouldn't be ideal, but TT has never been ideal... anyway i'd be intrigued by a S lineup like Burnett, Richardson, Dix/Pryor, Ward/Brooks/Bucannon, and Hyde to roam around how M3 and DCDC seem fit... its a cheap option/fix for the back half of the secondary, it keeps the secondary young and its better prospects than bringing in 3 undrafted rookie safeties to compete (which they'll prob do anyway, now that i think about it)...

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2014, 08:38 PM
I know its been discussed a bit on here before, but I wouldn't be surprised if TTs way to try and fix the Safety position would be to double dip in the draft this year... I know it wouldn't be ideal, but TT has never been ideal... anyway i'd be intrigued by a S lineup like Burnett, Richardson, Dix/Pryor, Ward/Brooks/Bucannon, and Hyde to roam around how M3 and DCDC seem fit... its a cheap option/fix for the back half of the secondary, it keeps the secondary young and its better prospects than bringing in 3 undrafted rookie safeties to compete (which they'll prob do anyway, now that i think about it)...

That sounds pretty good to me, although I think the second draftee will be 3rd or 4th round - more like Loston/Dixon/Reynolds.

Fritz
04-14-2014, 06:39 AM
I feel strongly that TT will draft at least one safety - a pretty sure bet just cuz they don't have many safeties - but I have no idea if he thinks he's found the next Nick Collins in round two or three, or if he loves Dix or Pryor, or what that dude is thinking. I just hope it's not another big-hitter-shitty-coverer type, like McMillain was.

run pMc
04-14-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm thinking they will draft two safeties and hope that Burnett rebounds. If he doesn't, plan B is Richardson and Plan C one of the draftees. The other draftee would be Jennings' replacement. Wouldn't be surprised if both R3 picks are safeties, causing those townsfolk laying siege to the castle with pitchforks and torches to celebrate.

Could see them going Nix/Mosley in R1, a WR in R2, 2 safeties in R3 (Brooks/Reynolds?), and depth/developmental picks at OL, TE, DL, and CB.

(Or maybe they get lucky and have Jimmie Ward fall to them in R2 and Allen Robinson in R3.)

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't see any of the others having the coverage and ball hawk skills that Clinton-Dix has. I hope we get him in the first round even if it means trading up - although I doubt that will be necessary. They say Mosley is dropping. I doubt he would be there when we draft in the second round, but moving up to get him earlier in the second round would be a good move. Barring that, I think Chris Borland would be a great 2nd round pick. I'd also like to see us get another Safety - Craig Loston would be a good one - in the 3rd or 4th round. Hyde should be cross-trained as a Safety, but I'd rather have Clinton-Dix as the starter.

3irty1
04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Even with a high-round choice at safety Hyde will still get starts even if he doesn't beat out anyone. He'll be backing up 3 different positions, playing in dime, in addition to all the stuff he does on special teams. That's a pretty full load.

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Even with a high-round choice at safety Hyde will still get starts even if he doesn't beat out anyone. He'll be backing up 3 different positions, playing in dime, in addition to all the stuff he does on special teams. That's a pretty full load.

With Hyde playing all those positions, he's even more valuable than Scott Wells was!