PDA

View Full Version : Decent Q&A Article with Clay

Smidgeon
04-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Lots of information on the injury and his thoughts on Peppers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/04/16/clay-matthews-green-bay-julius-peppers-thumb-injury/7777927/

mraynrand
04-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Did he say anything about drafting more pro bowlers? ;)

Smidgeon
04-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Did he say anything about drafting more pro bowlers? ;)

Nope. He thinks the defensive front seven is going to be pretty lights out with just the returning players, APRH.

I am the one who wants more drafted probowlers. :D

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2014, 06:26 PM
One nice quote.

Q: It's an interesting time to be an NFC North pass rusher. Peppers goes from the Bears to the Packers. Jared Allen goes from the Vikings to the Bears.

A: I saw something on the Internet: 'Hey, is Clay coming to Minnesota?' No.

HowardRoark
04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Did he answer this question......"What's the level of confidence in your defensive coordinator, Dom Capers?"

I didn't see it.

pbmax
04-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Did he answer this question......"What's the level of confidence in your defensive coordinator, Dom Capers?"

I didn't see it.

He might not have but Dom got a vote of confidence from Brad Jones during the Tailgate Tour:

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod Apr 15
Brad Jones expects competition at ILB like any other year. Battled injuries, has faith in Dom and excited for Peppers and hybrid D

pbmax
04-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Rand, can you translate this to English?

Q: What are these three sets of stitches up your forearm?

A: It's called a tendon transfer. I broke it (the first time), and they did a closed-pin reduction. (The thumb) was dislocated, so they put it back in there. The bones line up, but it was a real small piece of the bone. So, everything was fine. I was coming out, I was working hard, and I was in a cast. And unfortunately, on a sack of (Ben) Roethlisberger (on Dec. 22), the tip of my thumb (hit) my teammate's helmet. All that pressure went down the cast, broke it again. So then, to make it tighter, we took part of the tendon, turned it around, drilled some holes and they almost tied a knot through. It's stronger than (the left one). Now it's super tight.

pbmax
04-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Good grief:

Nick Perry was doing well (until) he had a freak accident where someone landed on his ankle and broke his heel bone.

mraynrand
04-17-2014, 12:59 AM
With Matthews, it sounds like they used a tendon that attaches near the thumb, and has another attachment up the arm. Disconnect up the arm, turn it around and anchor it on the broken thumb to generate strength (this seems extreme, weird and unlikely). More likely, they moved a tendon from the neighboring finger (which has two) and anchored that. The hole they drill is probably to allow the thing to get to the other side to anchor so it's stronger (they do this in ACL surgery) - or to get the proper movement of the thumb when the muscle attached to the tendon fires. I'll ask someone who's actually done this to illuminate...

The weird thing is that after tendon transfer you have to retrain your mind to work the thumb by thinking about extending your index finger, I believe (assuming it is the extensor tendon that was transferred).

mraynrand
04-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Nick Perry was doing well (until) he had a freak accident where someone landed on his ankle and broke his heel bone.

Did that happen in the conference room?

pbmax
04-17-2014, 08:11 AM
With Matthews, it sounds like they used a tendon that attaches near the thumb, and has another attachment up the arm. Disconnect up the arm, turn it around and anchor it on the broken thumb to generate strength (this seems extreme, weird and unlikely). More likely, they moved a tendon from the neighboring finger (which has two) and anchored that. The hole they drill is probably to allow the thing to get to the other side to anchor so it's stronger (they do this in ACL surgery) - or to get the proper movement of the thumb when the muscle attached to the tendon fires. I'll ask someone who's actually done this to illuminate...

The weird thing is that after tendon transfer you have to retrain your mind to work the thumb by thinking about extending your index finger, I believe (assuming it is the extensor tendon that was transferred).

OK, I can see how this aids strength. But how was his strength going to be impaired in the first place?

Did the second injury mean his thumb would not return to 100% or did it do additional damage that needed to be addressed?

mraynrand
04-17-2014, 08:18 AM
OK, I can see how this aids strength. But how was his strength going to be impaired in the first place?

Did the second injury mean his thumb would not return to 100% or did it do additional damage that needed to be addressed?

I'm guessing he ruptured his extensor tendon with the second injury

pbmax
04-17-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm guessing he ruptured his extensor tendon with the second injury

Shoulda kept the club.

Fritz
04-17-2014, 02:18 PM

I didn't see it.

Q: The Packers ranked 25th in yards allowed and tied for 24th in points allowed last season. What's the level of confidence in your defensive coordinator, Dom Capers?

A: Everybody's excited about our defense and what we're capable of. The injuries and some shortcomings here and there — it's been our Achilles' heel for a few years now. But we've always led the league in one category. We'll lead the league in sacks but give up the most yards. We'll have the most turnovers, but have the most (of something else). We need to operate on all cylinders. When you have an offense with Aaron Rodgers and those guys over on that side who are going to score at minimum, at least 24 points a game — I'm being (conservative) — you expect your defense to take care of their end of the bargain.

There ya go.

Guiness
04-17-2014, 03:10 PM
There ya go.

lol, nice stock answer. You'd think his lawyer wrote it. What's he supposed to say, "We're doomed I tell you, doomed!" :???:

Rutnstrut
04-17-2014, 11:40 PM
While they had him out, they should have given him super hamstrings also.

woodbuck27
04-18-2014, 07:41 AM

His wrist and forearm now doubles as a guitar.

mraynrand
04-18-2014, 12:18 PM
His wrist and forearm now doubles as a guitar.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/6852904/il_570xN.457463732_1myg.jpg

channtheman
04-19-2014, 12:29 AM
lol, nice stock answer. You'd think his lawyer wrote it. What's he supposed to say, "We're doomed I tell you, doomed!" :???:

Maybe more like "We're Dom'd I tell you, Dom'd!"

bobblehead
04-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Let me try:

It was really fucked up and the doctor got creative and we are claiming its full go, but no one has a clue what a procedure like this will end up doing.

pbmax
04-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Let me try:

It was really fucked up and the doctor got creative and we are claiming its full go, but no one has a clue what a procedure like this will end up doing.

That's my question: is this a typical response to a re-break or are they trying to fix Bill Walton's feet?

Fritz
04-21-2014, 06:08 AM
I'm glad Matthews gave a stock answer on Dom. That's far better than carping on your D-coordinator.