PDA

View Full Version : Still Hope to get Clinton-Dix

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Several mock drafts a couple of weeks ago had Clinton-Dix available at #21. More recently, most people seem to think he will be gone. This article: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/complete-nfl-draft-what-the-bottom-16-teams-need.html/?ref=YF indicates that it is unlikely he will go through #16 anyway. The only team talked about as having Safety as a high priority is the Bears, and they supposedly need a Corner more. I suppose it is still a fairly long shot, but I see Clinton-Dix as the most similar to Nick Collins a ball hawk and a coverage guy.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Nick Collins had a 4.36 40 and 40" vertical. HaHa runs a 4.57 40 and has a 33" vertical. Athletically, they aren't very similar. HaHa's measurables are very similar to Micah Hyde.

Pugger
04-21-2014, 08:18 AM
I'll be surprised if Ha-Ha or Pryor fall past #15. Of course anything can happen and some GM will pick a player nobody thought was going in the first and either could fall to us but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Fritz
04-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Nick Collins had a 4.36 40 and 40" vertical. HaHa runs a 4.57 40 and has a 33" vertical. Athletically, they aren't very similar. HaHa's measurables are very similar to Micah Hyde.

Makes you wonder if the next Nick Collins exists in this draft at all.

Joemailman
04-21-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't see the top FS in the draft lasting to #21. Even if it's a reach, I think someone will take HHCD in the top 20.

pbmax
04-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Makes you wonder if the next Nick Collins exists in this draft at all.

I knew the draft being moved back was a bad idea. Fritz is getting metaphysical in his draft prep.

pbmax
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I don't see the top FS in the draft lasting to #21. Even if it's a reach, I think someone will take HHCD in the top 20.

If I may quote myself:

CBS NFL Draft Scout has five current mocks up (4 of 5 done in last week).

All have the Rams taking a safety. Kirwan has the Vikings grabbing Dix. One guy has the Bears grabbing the other top safety (Prior in that case). One has Ravens picking the second safety (Dix). One has Cardinals picking him (Pryor). Will Brinson has the most out of date one (4/10) and he has the Paclers taking Ward at 21 and Prior falling out of Round 1.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

You would need all but one of the Rams, Vikes, Bears, Ravens and Cardinals to bypass a safety to have a Top 2 guy be there at 21.

mission
04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't want Dix.

RashanGary
04-21-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't want Dix.

I prefer bush over Dix.

Bretsky
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
J'll take Dix over what we have now any day of the week. Ditto for Prior. Dix ain't fallin IMO

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2014, 08:26 PM
I'd rather have a stud at another position over HaHa or Pryor. I'd even take Jimmie Ward over those guys. I think both of those guys are overrated. Or wait on a Brock Vereen later and roll with a guy like that and Hyde.

Bretsky
04-21-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm not sold that the top 2 rates are not studs; but I'd take Ward as well at 21.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2014, 08:55 PM
The players I'd take over Pryor and perhaps HaHa. I'd probably take one of the safeties over any of the QBs, RBs, Hageman, or Nix.

WR Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Marqise Lee
TE Eric Ebron
OT Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan
OG/OT Zach Martin
OLB Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, Anthony Barr
ILB C.J. Mosley, Ryan Shazier
CB Justin Gilbert, Bradley Roby, Darqueze Dennard
S Jimmie Ward

Brandon494
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
I prefer bush over Dix.

We still talking about football right?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I want Terrence Brooks. Nick Collins II

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737623/terrence-brooks

Brandon494
04-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Yup I think hes the third best safety after Haha and Pryor, wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd round after taking Ryan Shazier in the 1st. Both players obviously fill a need but would also bring much needed speed to our defense.

wist43
04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
I like Pryor, Ward, and Clinton-Dix well enough to consider in the first round.

Another DB I like is Bradley Roby.

I'd be okay with any of those DB's, but if it came down to Clinton-Dix at that spot, I like all the others ahead of him.

RashanGary
04-22-2014, 01:29 AM
Yup I think hes the third best safety after Haha and Pryor, wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd round after taking Ryan Shazier in the 1st. Both players obviously fill a need but would also bring much needed speed to our defense.

That would be an exciting first two rounds of the draft, for sure!!

Bretsky
04-22-2014, 07:16 AM

I'm fine with him as well but IMO he's gone by pick 2; he got in trouble at FSU classes for brining his IPAD to class and studying game film. He's a studier with a lot of talent
and don't discount

Ed Reynolds either. Play making ballhawk who was one yard short of the all time NCAA record for return yardage off of INT's. Most have Reynolds going in round 3

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that position gets overdrafted cause so many teams out there need another safety

KYPack
04-22-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm fine with him as well but IMO he's gone by pick 2; he got in trouble at FSU classes for brining his IPAD to class and studying game film. He's a studier with a lot of talent
and don't discount

Ed Reynolds either. Play making ballhawk who was one yard short of the all time NCAA record for return yardage off of INT's. Most have Reynolds going in round 3

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that position gets overdrafted cause so many teams out there need another safety

This is kind of my theory on the upcoming draft, too. I think we will get the "backside" of a run of a position.

If there is a value guy at 21, TT will take him. If the S's go on a run, we get a WR. The WR's go off the board, we get a shot at a decent safety. It looks like the QB's might run also. If there is a good QB at 21, Thompson may pull the trigger on that guy.

texaspackerbacker
04-22-2014, 09:22 AM
This is kind of my theory on the upcoming draft, too. I think we will get the "backside" of a run of a position.

If there is a value guy at 21, TT will take him. If the S's go on a run, we get a WR. The WR's go off the board, we get a shot at a decent safety. It looks like the QB's might run also. If there is a good QB at 21, Thompson may pull the trigger on that guy.

I kinda agree with the first part of what you say, but not at all the part about pulling the trigger on a QB. None of these top QBs are anywhere near Aaron Rodgers quality. Yeah, I know, nobody is hahahaha, but these guys are far from sure thing star quality at all, and we are a LOT farther from the end of the Rodgers era than we were from the end of the Favre era when Ted got Rodgers.

mraynrand
04-22-2014, 09:30 AM
I kinda agree with the first part of what you say, but not at all the part about pulling the trigger on a QB. None of these top QBs are anywhere near Aaron Rodgers quality. Yeah, I know, nobody is hahahaha, but these guys are far from sure thing star quality at all, and we are a LOT farther from the end of the Rodgers era than we were from the end of the Favre era when Ted got Rodgers.

about the QB - it all depends on how the Packers have the QBs ranked. If a guy they really like drops to them, they should draft him. A QB is always one hit away from the end of his career (so is any player, but a QB is more critical). The Packers have seen the results of the "we hope rodgers stays healthy" strategy. If a guy is there that you can develop over a few years, take that guy. Maybe he ends up being trade fodder or maybe he saves your bacon for a game or for years to come.

Still, I can't think of a guy I would take who might fall that far. For example, Bridgewater could be Russell Wilson or Seneca Wallace.

Bretsky
04-22-2014, 06:21 PM
It would be stupid to take a QB in round one

bobblehead
04-22-2014, 07:55 PM

"Unreliable hands for the interception. Let several "easy" interceptions slip through his fingers in 2013"

Certainly sounds like a young Nick Collins :)

Carolina_Packer
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Here are a few interesting articles about who the Packers should take with the first pick. If you are in favor of drafting a safety at 21, no matter what, you'll want to read this: http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014-nfl-draft-packers/2014/4/21/5625414/2014-apc-mock-draft-green-bay-packers-select-linebacker-c-j-mosley

I agree with the article above if he's available. Obviously if the top safeties are off the board, easy decision. The article is right about what the Packers have lined up next to Hawk the last few years, and what a player like this would do to improve the overall D. I also think the same could be said for lining up a real FS next to Morgan Burnett. That would help Burnett tremendously.

Here is another article that shows what several draftniks think the Packers should do in the first round, some advocating safety, but many going a different direction. http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/26/green-bay-packers-2014-nfl-mock-draft-tracker/

If you like sleeper articles, here is one that shows sleeper picks based on the Packers needs: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2035959-5-2014-draft-sleepers-whod-fit-perfectly-with-the-green-bay-packers

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 01:04 AM
I completely buy into Mosley or Shazier; when I did my mock I think Mosley is gone by then as well as the top 2 safeties.

woodbuck27
04-23-2014, 05:55 AM

This draft is huge for Ted Thompson and the future of the Green Bay Packers.

TT will not go QB at #21. Someone very special has to be available at #21 for TT to use that pick.

We have need at DT, ILB, Safety and TE. All that is irrelevant to Ted Thompson. TT will look at BPA @ #21 and don't be surprized if he elects a CB.

Again ... there has to be a very special player there for TT or he trades down.

texaspackerbacker
04-23-2014, 06:09 AM
It would be stupid to take a QB in round one

I wish they had an "applaud" function in this forum. If they did, I'd applaud this post.

I don't care how good the guy is, he would hold a clipboard for 5 years, then we would have to decide, sign him for a helluva lot more than a rookie contract, or let him go - the SAME stressful situation we had when Rodgers' rookie contract ran out. However, this time it would be MUCH tougher to decide, as Rodgers will be a lot farther from done than Favre was at that time.

Trading the guy? You just aren't gonna get enough in trade to justify using a first round pick now, especially with the obvious need at Safety and maybe ILB.

woodbuck27
04-23-2014, 06:25 AM
I wish they had an "applaud" function in this forum. If they did, I'd applaud this post.

I don't care how good the guy is, he would hold a clipboard for 5 years, then we would have to decide, sign him for a helluva lot more than a rookie contract, or let him go - the SAME stressful situation we had when Rodgers' rookie contract ran out. However, this time it would be MUCH tougher to decide, as Rodgers will be a lot farther from done than Favre was at that time.

Trading the guy? You just aren't gonna get enough in trade to justify using a first round pick now, especially with the obvious need at Safety and maybe ILB.

Yes.

KYPack
04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Not saying that we will or should draft a QB. My post is more of a statement of TT's draft philosophy. If all the slotted players that Thompson has pegged get drafted (highly unlikely) and his #1 QB is still on the board, TT will nail him.

I'd much prefer to see a top S, ILB, or WR get picked. My point was this is a crazy year, weird shit could shake out & if it does, Thompson will stay true to his board.

Personally, I think anyone of the "top" QB's could well be busts and don't want to see 'em picked. I'm "rooting" for the top ILB guys. I just don't think the top safeties are that hot.

pbmax
04-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Not saying that we will or should draft a QB. My post is more of a statement of TT's draft philosophy. If all the slotted players that Thompson has pegged get drafted (highly unlikely) and his #1 QB is still on the board, TT will nail him.

I'd much prefer to see a top S, ILB, or WR get picked. My point was this is a crazy year, weird shit could shake out & if it does, Thompson will stay true to his board.

Personally, I think anyone of the "top" QB's could well be busts and don't want to see 'em picked. I'm "rooting" for the top ILB guys. I just don't think the top safeties are that hot.

I'm with the man who's chicken has an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly.

mraynrand
04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
I wish they had an "applaud" function in this forum. If they did, I'd applaud this post. :bclap::bclap:

I don't care how good the guy is, he would hold a clipboard for 5 years, ....

Maybe 5 years, maybe three games. Next helmet hit could be Rodger's last. I would love to see a guy drafted that can play QB very well at the professional football level. McCarthy and TT know better than I if that guy is in the draft. If he's there at #21, they'd be crazy not to take him.

mraynrand
04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm with the man who's chicken has an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly.

http://crazedafrykan.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/57117chicken_got_weed.gif

I'm on board. Want Blackhawk or Dennard if available. Don't think any of the great WRs or TEs will be there.

Zool
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM

HEAD! PANTS! NOW!

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:18 PM

However, I bet you liked Ron Wolf's old tactic of drafting some guy (with a name like Aaron Brooks) in the fourth round, grooming him as a backup, and then trading him for a second or third rounder after using him as a backup for three or so years.

woodbuck27
04-25-2014, 11:19 PM

There will be top notch picks at LBer and WR available at #21.

There will be possible help for the DL if Ted Thompson is thinking in that direction. There will also be a very decent CB available.

Just Jeff
04-26-2014, 05:54 AM
However, I bet you liked Ron Wolf's old tactic of drafting some guy (with a name like Aaron Brooks) in the fourth round, grooming him as a backup, and then trading him for a second or third rounder after using him as a backup for three or so years.

Under Wolf, the Packers had the best backup QBs in the history of football. You mention Brooks, but also Detmer, Brunell, Hasselback, Bono, Pederson and Warner. Go back to 1992, and the Lions, Bears and Viking combined can't boast better starters than those "backups".

Patler
04-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Under Wolf, the Packers had the best backup QBs in the history of football. You mention Brooks, but also Detmer, Brunell, Hasselback, Bono, Pederson and Warner. Go back to 1992, and the Lions, Bears and Viking combined can't boast better starters than those "backups".

I can't give Wolf much credit for Kurt Warner. He was never a backup QB for the Packers. Wolf signed him as a undrafted rookie and cut him shortly thereafter (I don't think he even made it to training camp). Warner bounced around for 4-5 years coaching and playing in the arena league before finally making it to an NFL roster.

Best backups in the history of football? I can't agree with that. Bratkowski was better when he backed up Starr. Earl Morrall has often been called the best backup ever. Steve Young backing up Montana for four years. I think there were a lot better ones than the likes of those that Wolf had. (Heck, how about that kid who backed up Favre his last seasons in GB? :-) )

mraynrand
04-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I can't give Wolf much credit for Kurt Warner.

I give all the credit to Hy-Vee. Working in those grocery stores builds character.

https://www.hy-vee.com/webres/Image/storephotos/store_sycamore2012.jpg
also, you get free hair gel

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/BrendaWarner.jpg

Brandon494
04-26-2014, 10:19 AM
What a difference money makes.... she goes from Alice to Marsha Brady

http://bentcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/brendawarner1.jpg

mraynrand
04-26-2014, 10:25 AM
^^^ I'd give you more rep, but I have to 'spread the wealth' apparently.

woodbuck27
04-27-2014, 09:05 AM

I just checked and the Brett Favre backup's in your post combined for a total of 6 TD's as Green Bay Packers.

Ty Detmer had 1 TD; Mark Brunell had 2 TD's and Matt Hasselbeck had 3 TD's.

Just Jeff
04-27-2014, 11:20 AM
I just checked and the Brett Favre backup's in your post combined for a total of 6 TD's as Green Bay Packers.

Ty Detmer had 1 TD; Mark Brunell had 2 TD's and Matt Hasselbeck had 3 TD's.

Its not lost upon me that the NFL's longest consecutive game QB would have backups that got little to no playing time. My point was that they all turned out to have productive careers. If TDs are your yard stick, Brooks had 123, Detmer 34, Brunell 184, Hasselback 201, Bono 62, Pederson 12, Warner 208. Some would consider all of them better backups than Graham Harrell (0), BJ Coleman (0) or Seneca Wallace ((31)Zero with the Packers).

Carolina_Packer
04-27-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't need TT to draft someone that will be trade bait someday, ala Ron Wolf. Kinda liked that about Wolf, but don't think TT needs to copy him in that respect. I like the idea of having a guy like Flynn who has game experience, but likely won't get another real shot at a starter's job. I also like having a third QB who is developmental, like a Tolzien or even another undrafted QB to push Tolzien, and then push Flynn. TT and MM was taking the backup job too lightly, but finally got it right.

red
04-27-2014, 12:25 PM
when was the last time TT traded anyone away? drafting a guy to turn into trade bait down the road only makes sense if you actually trade the guy before his time on the team is up

mraynrand
04-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Trades just aren't that common. The QB spot is so key and so fragile that if you have the chance to draft a guy you think can be a high quality NFL starter, you draft him, and then pray you don't need him before his contract is up.

Bretsky
04-27-2014, 01:07 PM
when was the last time TT traded anyone away? drafting a guy to turn into trade bait down the road only makes sense if you actually trade the guy before his time on the team is up

Franchise of Corey Williams...to trade him for a 2nd....
and with that second round pick.....BRIAN BROHM

mission
04-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Nice shirt Ha Ha

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmQEZZ9CUAAoB44.jpg