PDA

View Full Version : Packer Offense, Offseason Discussion 2014

pbmax
04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL 2h
Packers completed NFL-best 58% (11 of 19) passes 30+ yards down field last season.

Bombs away. Play Cover 1, I dare you.

Of course, would be good to come up with plan to defeat Cover 2.

Cheesehead Craig
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Packers offense took a number 2 vs the Cover 2

mraynrand
04-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Packers completed NFL-best 58% (11 of 19) passes 30+ yards down field last season.

Don't you, forget about me.....

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3160243/eddie_lacy_large.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img21826380.jpg

pbmax
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM

[IMG]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/31MG]

Couldn't produce enough leverage to help offense versus San Fran. Need to be able to pass against it.

mraynrand
04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Couldn't produce enough leverage to help offense versus San Fran. Need to be able to pass against it.

you haven't seen them together now, have you?

bobblehead
04-21-2014, 09:09 PM

We have a plan...its just doesn't work.

pbmax
04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
you haven't seen them together now, have you?

I should have referenced Lacy only in my response. But Lacy/Harris is not a leap above Lacy/Starks. Unless you think M3's plans for Harris include a lot of screens. That might help.

Carolina_Packer
04-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Finley was at times effective against the Cover 2 because when he was going right, he was a match-up problem for a defense. Addressing the TE position with someone who can create mismatches in the middle of the field would help tremendously against that D. I still remember DuJuan Harris slipping out of the backfield to help move the chains when he was making an impact in 2012, so that would be a welcome weapon. This is kind of how I thought they might use Jonathan Franklin when they drafted him.

Fritz
04-22-2014, 07:11 AM

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3160243/eddie_lacy_large.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img21826380.jpg

Did somebody say #2???

Don't you forget about ME!!

Ummm....Tried to insert a picture of Najeh Davenport here, but the "insert image" icon didn't work.

But you get the idea. Laundry hampers, all that.

mraynrand
04-22-2014, 07:27 AM
I should have referenced Lacy only in my response. But Lacy/Harris is not a leap above Lacy/Starks. Unless you think M3's plans for Harris include a lot of screens. That might help.

yup. Thought stubby might intentionally inverse the passing tree a little more (check down to touchdown). And run it. Lacy and Starks are for running. Harris was to be our Sproles.

texaspackerbacker
04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
The way I see it, we got away too much last season from the pass first concept that has made the Packer offense dominant in the Rodgers era. Great that we have decent RBs now, but we still should NOT force the issue with a run first mentality. Use Lacy, Starks, and Harris as a change of pace, and let Aaron be Aaron. That plus a slightly improved defense is the formula for winning it all.

pbmax
04-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Finley was at times effective against the Cover 2 because when he was going right, he was a match-up problem for a defense. Addressing the TE position with someone who can create mismatches in the middle of the field would help tremendously against that D. I still remember DuJuan Harris slipping out of the backfield to help move the chains when he was making an impact in 2012, so that would be a welcome weapon. This is kind of how I thought they might use Jonathan Franklin when they drafted him.

All true in 2009 and 2010 before his knee injury. Not so much after that. Specifically said he preferred running crossing routes than heading down the seam last year.

pbmax
04-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Retweeted by Jason Wilde
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt Apr 21
In GB, frustrated w/poor attendance due to location, I started making offseason wkout bonuses standard part of comp package. Changed.

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt Apr 21
Had one player tell me: "Andrew, I don't care how much workout bonus, I'm not coming to GB this time of year." Money talked, he did.

Smidgeon
04-23-2014, 10:04 AM
There are a sting of photos available on Packers.com showing the Packers on the first day of offseason workouts. Normally not noteworthy, but I thought this photo was begging for some photoshopping. Times like this I wish I knew how...

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2014/04-April/temp140422-offseason-workouts-packers-019--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

pbmax
04-23-2014, 12:21 PM
I thought that blue and yellow thing was his cast. Phew.

Brandon494
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
I hope they spent the first hour stretching those hamstrings.

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm on board with trying to get A-Rod to check down a little more quickly against the cover-2. How many times have you seen John Kuhn or the running back de jour standing five yards downfeld, no defender in sight, on a second and seven, then watch A-rod wait....and wait....and wait....then have to break toward the sideline....then throw it away or get buried.

pbmax
06-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Harper, unsurprisingly, thinks he has a serious chance. Seattle wanted him back on PS. 49ers swooped in and wanted him to play TE and H-back because they were thin at the position.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&id=14451&is_corp=1

pbmax
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Kevin Dorsey has had three foot surgeries, two for his toes. He says he is 100% now.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-2013-seventh-round-pick-dorsey-catching-up-on-lost-time-b99294320z1-263752391.html

Pugger
06-19-2014, 10:05 AM

When you consider how many games we didn't have Rodgers these aren't bad numbers. With AR and Lacy and all of the new WRs and TEs 2014 should be fun.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2014, 10:20 AM
When you consider how many games we didn't have Rodgers these aren't bad numbers. With AR and Lacy and all of the new WRs and TEs 2014 should be fun.

pbmax stated these were league best numbers.
:)

woodbuck27
06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm on board with trying to get A-Rod to check down a little more quickly against the cover-2. How many times have you seen John Kuhn or the running back de jour standing five yards downfeld, no defender in sight, on a second and seven, then watch A-rod wait....and wait....and wait....then have to break toward the sideline....then throw it away or get buried.

Too much !

Fritz
06-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Yup. That's the one aspect of his game that drives me nuts. I'm screaming at the television, watching Kuhn/Lacey/Quarless/Whoever standing wide open five or seven yards downfield, no defender in sight, while Rodgers looks...and looks....and looks....downfield, until he's sacked or chased or throws it away. Grrr.

woodbuck27
06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Yup. That's the one aspect of his game that drives me nuts. I'm screaming at the television, watching Kuhn/Lacey/Quarless/Whoever standing wide open five or seven yards downfield, no defender in sight, while Rodgers looks...and looks....and looks....downfield, until he's sacked or chased or throws it away. Grrr.

He's got to forget perfection ad stat's and more about possession and moving the sticks.

Fritz
06-19-2014, 11:52 AM
I really don't think he's driven by stats, Woody. Not at all. But I think his and MM's vision of the offense is that of the riverboat gambler's - they like taking big risks for big rewards. I tend to be more conservative. If Rodgers could just tone it down a little bit...

Because there are times I've screamed at Rodgers to dump it off to an open guy standing five yards away, only to have Rodgers go long and hit big.

smuggler
06-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Their ethos is to throw to the deepest open guy, not the most open guy. I also feel Rodgers does this to limit picks. If the line obstructs his view of the underneath even slightly, he feels there's a defender in the blind spot.