PDA

View Full Version : THE VALUE OF DRAFTING A QB IN ROUND ONE.....and if I'm TT

Bretsky
04-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Did you know........under the current bargaining agreement.........

A QB drafted in round one is stuck to his first contract for Five Years
A QB Drafted in round two or after is only stuck for three years.

Russell Wilson is happy that he was not a first round pick

With that being said, under today's current cap....getting those extra 2 Years on the Cheap can be HUGE for a NFL Team

Taking it one step further, if a team like the Jags or Texans pass on a QB in round one

They could be licking their chops to move up into round one and secure their QB to a nice contract for five years of cap heaven.......D Carr anybody ?

Knowing this is one of the deepest drafts ever, and knowing many are wanting to move down
if I am TT

I'm calling a team like the Jags and volunteering to move down...for probably less than a FMV pick on the value chart

Give the Jags or Texans you first...move down ten or so spots...for a third.

Then you'll have a safety sitting there for you. That's a good area to pick a Ward or Brooks...and pick up an extra pick to boot.

pbmax
04-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Pretty sure Round 2 is four years. You can renegotiate after Year 3.

Guiness
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Round 1 is 4 years with a team option for a 5th, but the 5th year, while reasonable, is not cheap - for a top 10 pick, it's the same as the transition tag after year 3 of the contract. For the rest of the 1st round, it's the average salary of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at the same position (who came up with that???). So a team can hold on to a QB for 5 years, but I can't see any forcing a starting QB to do that.

Players chosen in later round all have 4 year contracts, with no club 5th year option.

As pbmax said, the contract can be renegotiated/extended after year 3 - before that, teams/players are not allowed to touch it.

call_me_ishmael
04-22-2014, 10:27 PM
I would 110% be in favor of this. Amazing idea, Bretsky. The third rounder is a near-the-top of the round pick, so that is basically a low second. LOVE this idea.

MadScientist
04-23-2014, 02:53 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about TT taking a QB in round 1.

This idea sounds good, though it would probably require a bit of luck with the right QB being there and the Texans or Jags still needing a QB and their GM a bit jumpy that someone else will take the guy they want. If the chance to do this is there, TT should go for it.

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Don't the Browns have a pick at 26 ? If they don't go QB with the first pick teams will have to jump over 26 then because they will grab one at 26 IMO. Let's say Carr and Bridgewater are there...........just sayin

Guiness
04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Don't the Browns have a pick at 26 ? If they don't go QB with the first pick teams will have to jump over 26 then because they will grab one at 26 IMO. Let's say Carr and Bridgewater are there...........just sayin

It seems like a lot of the QB needy teams at the top of the draft are not so sure they want to spend those top picks on them - Clowney, Mack and Watkins all look a lot more like sure things than the QBs. Other than Bortles, I can see the others staying on the board a while, but if so I think the team that will start the run on them is the Jets at 18.

Of course, this is the season on mis-information, so 5 will probably be drafted in the top 10!

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 08:22 AM
You have 5 teams looking to draft a QB in the 1st/early 2nd round: Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota.

There are 5 QB's good enough to be drafted that early: Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Savage.

I don't see why any of those teams would need to trade up to get one of the top QB's.

MadScientist
04-23-2014, 09:26 AM
You have 5 teams looking to draft a QB in the 1st/early 2nd round: Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota.

There are 5 QB's good enough to be drafted that early: Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Savage.

I don't see why any of those teams would need to trade up to get one of the top QB's.
Do Denver and New England have a QB of the future on their rosters? If not, one of them might try to grab one in round 1 due to the age of their QB's.

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Do Denver and New England have a QB of the future on their rosters? If not, one of them might try to grab one in round 1 due to the age of their QB's.

Denver drafted Osweiler in the 2nd round in 2012. I doubt they would want to spend another high pick on a QB. I have no idea how the Patriots feel about Ryan Mallett.

Fritz
04-23-2014, 09:43 AM

But you know how that song and dance goes: one of those teams, maybe two, will fall in love with one of the above group, and will feel it has to be that guy for them. So they'll trade up, and the fun will begin.

Guiness
04-23-2014, 10:43 AM
But you know how that song and dance goes: one of those teams, maybe two, will fall in love with one of the above group, and will feel it has to be that guy for them. So they'll trade up, and the fun will begin.

Yup. Or some other team with a mediocre QB comes on the board (I dunno - Arizona? St-L? Cinci?) and decide that one of those guys is a franchise passer. That could start the stampede. Also can't count out teams that have QBs that are near the end of their career - I'm looking at you NO.

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 10:58 PM

LET"S SAY JOHNNIE AND BORTLES ARE GONE and THE OTHER THREE ARE THERE

This is QB and teams fall in love with Franchise QB's

The teams trade ahead of Cleveland to get the QB they want