PDA

View Full Version : CHRIS BORLAND.....A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN OPINIONS ON HIM AS AN NFL PROSPECT

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Is he going to be stellar, or will he stink ?

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 12:55 AM
There seems to be huge differences of opinion on Chris Borland as a NFL player. I don't get it. When he arrived in Madison as a freshmen he was too small and too slow to play..many said. Too slow to pass rush and not strong enough to fight through blocks. he's a plugger.......of course....but then you listen to him and watch him play...........and the dude just balls it. I'm perplexed that some of the more knowledgeable posters in here think little of Chris Borland. Consider this a case study to go on record as to what you think of his chance to be a good player in the NFL. If you listen to any analyst or look at any projection....most have him going in round 2....3 at the latest...in the 45-55 range. On Path to the Draft, the analysts said the two great fits at LB for Green Bay would be Ryan Shazier and Chris Borland. But many in here don't see it that way. Curious how this vote shakes out.

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 12:56 AM
Option one notes he's very worthy of the area he'll most likely get drafted in
Option two would be of the bias that he's a late round pick
as a fyi

texaspackerbacker
04-23-2014, 05:57 AM
It's the classic argument: athlete v. football player, except Borland isn't that bad an athlete either, and Shazier showed at least decent instincts. Of the two, straight up, I'd rather have Shazier - pair him up with Hawk; Use him to stop running QBs; Somebody who at least should be great in coverage. The comparison is apples and oranges, however, because Shazier is an almost certain first rounder, and Borland should be there in the late second, maybe even the third. At that point in the draft, he is solid gold - a strong bet to perform better than others drafted in that area. The first name that comes to mind is London Fletcher - a short not overly fast or strong player who has had a long successful career. I hope the Packers get a Safety - ideally Clinton-Dix in the first round, and then Borland in the second or third.

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 07:58 AM
There seems to be huge differences of opinion on Chris Borland as a NFL player. I don't get it. When he arrived in Madison as a freshmen he was too small and too slow to play..many said. Too slow to pass rush and not strong enough to fight through blocks. he's a plugger.......of course....but then you listen to him and watch him play...........and the dude just balls it. I'm perplexed that some of the more knowledgeable posters in here think little of Chris Borland. Consider this a case study to go on record as to what you think of his chance to be a good player in the NFL. If you listen to any analyst or look at any projection....most have him going in round 2....3 at the latest...in the 45-55 range. On Path to the Draft, the analysts said the two great fits at LB for Green Bay would be Ryan Shazier and Chris Borland. But many in here don't see it that way. Curious how this vote shakes out.

I think maybe a lot of people here don't like him because they see him as another Hawk. Solid but unspectacular. His lack of height might hurt him some when trying to cover Te's, but I'd be okay with him in the 2nd round if TT doesn't take Mosley or Shazier in the 1st.

But you know TT never drafts Badgers. :)

pbmax
04-23-2014, 08:06 AM
So far he seems like Abdul Hodge. Perfect linebacker in college. Too slow to play anything more than two downs in the NFL. But barring injury, I think he finds a way to stick. Not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 08:31 AM
So far he seems like Abdul Hodge. Perfect linebacker in college. Too slow to play anything more than two downs in the NFL. But barring injury, I think he finds a way to stick. Not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I think he has a good chance to be better than Hodge if he doesn't have Hodge's knee problems.

pbmax
04-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I think he has a good chance to be better than Hodge if he doesn't have Hodge's knee problems.

But even before the knee issue, he had trouble breaking into the lineup. He could have stuck around, but I didn't see solid starter.

pbmax
04-23-2014, 09:01 AM
I think most teams see this:

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 15h
I've watched a lot of Chris Borland, and... I don't know if he's going to fit in the NFL. Pros want LBs who are so much more athletic.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 15h
I get the whole Zach Thomas/Lofa Tatupu argument with Borland, but NFL 'backers have to play half-field at crazy speeds these days.

and that there are a few who would organize their D to keep Borland where he will be successful like Miami did with Thomas. But that kinda D is rare these days.

Fritz
04-23-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm with the "he's like Hodge, or Hawk at very best, and we need speed" group, but I voted your third option because it's such a ridiculous option - unless you're a female poster.

Zool
04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
I voted your third option because it's such a ridiculous option - unless you're a female poster.

Same. Pretty dumb.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm in the he's another Hodge camp. I liked the Hodge pick. After Hodge, I lean more towards athleticism over football player at that position.

pbmax
04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I think BORLANS will be a bust.

MadtownPacker
04-23-2014, 02:01 PM
I vote that any player Bretsky endorses will never amount to anything unless drafted by a different team.

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Pat Kirwan lists Borland among his Top 10 Safe Picks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24536358/nfl-draft-aj-mccarron-more-than-a-game-manager

Safe picks
The draft process to drawing to a close and there are a number of players I call "safe" -- what you see is what you get and these guys are the whole package. They have talent, technique, work ethic and look like guys who understand how to handle themselves as pros.

I have interviewed well over 100 of the top picks and watched all of them on tape. Here are my top 10 safe picks and there are no quarterbacks in the group:

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
Zack Martin OT, Notre Dame
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

vince
04-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Borland's a player, but Hodge was a step slow getting to the sideline and Borland is a half-step slower than Hodge. 4.8 40 speed ain't gonna get it done at MLB these days. Convert him to H-back and maybe he can plow some holes on 3rd and short and score a couple TDs before he's done.:-)

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Vince! Good to see ya!

Just say no to the slow linebacker. For all the bitching about AJ Hawk's (lack of) coverage abilities, I can't believe people want Borland.

vince
04-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks Fritz. You too. These homers are too much to handle sometimes...:-)

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:21 PM
I believe, if by "homers" you mean TT supporters, that I fall into that category...

If you mean UW supporters, though, I think I'm safe.

Either way, I'd prefer speed to Borland. This Shazier seems intriguing to me - I'd prefer him to Clinton-Dix in round one, if both are available.

I think it'll come down to a WR, Shazier, Prior, or Nix all available in round one, and a bunch of us screaming no matter what Ted does. Unless he trades down three spots and picks up an extra fourth, then nabs whoever's left from that group. That'd probably get applause from most.

vince
04-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah I was (jokingly) referring to the Badger homers in this thread...

I'd love to see Shazier, Ebron, Beckham or Brooks or one of the touted corners fall to us.

I think the combination of Hyde, Richardson and a guy like Ward or Brooks would make a good safety team to include with Burnett.

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, sometimes they have a point. There have been a few Badgers that have worked out pretty well in the NFL.

But Ted has hot pants for Hawkeyes.

vince
04-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Speaking of that, I'd love to see Teddy steal Hawkeye Christian Kirksey in the mid-late rounds. He's a little light in the shorts but fast and a very athletic player. Seems like Teddy's kinda guy who can add strength and develop into a real player.

Strengths Agile and athletic. Flows to the ball when he has a clear path. Experience in space and over the slot. Has terrific personal and football character, including leadership traits. Two-time captain. Was a 21-year-old senior. Ran extremely well at his pro-day workout, recording superb sub-4.6-second 40-times and a 36-inch vertical jump.

Weaknesses Undersized -- lacks ideal length and bulk. Looks like a safety at first glance. Outmuscled at the point of attack -- gets stuck on blocks and covered up. Average eyes and instincts. Needs to be schemed free as a blitzer. Not a playmaker -- just 3.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL in three seasons. Bench-pressed 225 pounds just 16 times, second-fewest among linebackers at the combine.

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm not a Badger homer either, but every list I've looked at has Borland as a Round 2-3 prospect. We'll see if GM's agree. A guy doesn't need a ton of speed to play ILB in a 3-4 if he has instincts. Desmond Bishop didn't have good timed speed either. By the way, when I said I'd be okay with taking Borland in the 2nd, I didn't mean I think that's what TT should do. I just wouldn't be pulling my hair out.

mission
04-23-2014, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't want to see Borland in the second, but I definitely like him. Third or fourth would be much better value IMO.

vince
04-23-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of guys who project him higher but here's the first link from my google search...

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl-draft-profile-wisconsin-ilb-chris-borland

Chris Borland (ILB), Wisconsin

5'11" | 248 lbs.

2013 stats:

111 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, FF

Projection:

4th/5th Round

What the scouts are saying:

"Short, active, athletic, instinctive tackling machine who will have to overcome physical limitations to establish himself as a dependable, long-term starter, though he has immediate special-teams ability and the makeup to push for a more prominent role." (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com)

"The highly instinctive, physical (and productive) Borland certainly looks like a candidate for this year's Rang's Gang, which highlights a group of prospects who may not possess the ideal size or athleticism, but are terrific football players. His lack of NFL size and arm length will be tough to overlook for scouts, but he is a heady player who doesn't make many mistakes and has the productive resume that should get him drafted sometime on the draft's third day." (Rob Rang, CBSSports.com)

"Almost all of Borland's weaknesses can be traced back to his small size and short arms. So although he was highly productive for Wisconsin becoming the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, his lack of NFL size will be tough for teams to overlook. Nonetheless, Borland's college production, football smarts and gritty high motor will certainly be enough for scouts to entertain the thought of him during the end of Day 2 of the draft. There are rumors Borland's size will push him into the fourth round, which would be tremendous value for any team in need of depth at the linebacker position as he could eventually turn into a three-down starter with the proper coaching." (Luke Inman, eDraft)

pbmax
04-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm not a Badger homer either, but every list I've looked at has Borland as a Round 2-3 prospect. We'll see if GM's agree. A guy doesn't need a ton of speed to play ILB in a 3-4 if he has instincts. Desmond Bishop didn't have good timed speed either. By the way, when I said I'd be okay with taking Borland in the 2nd, I didn't mean I think that's what TT should do. I just wouldn't be pulling my hair out.

You gotta believe that 40 time is garbage then for the second round.

vince
04-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Iowa rarely blitzed Kirksey, who played over the slot receivers a ton at WLB. Borland obviously played a different position but it's strange how his 8.5 tfl and 4 sacks make him a great player but Kirksey's 9.5 tfl and 3.5 sacks are evidence of a lack of playmaking ability... Kirksey was a playmaker at Iowa despite what his bio states...

mraynrand
04-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Vince! Good to see ya!

Just say no to the slow linebacker. For all the bitching about AJ Hawk's (lack of) coverage abilities, I can't believe people want Borland.

Borland is a poor man's Abdul Hodge

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 10:50 PM

Hodge....really ? Dude did not have the heart Borland did...didn't put forth the time to study and work as hard as Borland does. I don't see that comparison.

Bretsky
04-23-2014, 10:54 PM
I am a Badger homer, and for the record....I'd just like to say you guys are wrong :))

wist43
04-24-2014, 12:05 AM
6th round pick maybe... he's just too limited.

Brandon494
04-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Hes a 4th rounder talent but this draft in weak at ILB. I hope we pass and select a player who is more of a play maker at ILB. Also with his short arms I would think it will be hard for him to get off blocks in the NFL.

ThunderDan
04-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Borland is a poor man's Abdul Hodge

No, Abdul had knee issues on both his knees coming into the NFL. That is what limited and ended his career if I remember correctly. Borland doesn't have arthritis in the knees. He will play and play well in the NFL. I don't think he makes Pro Bowls but I could see him as a starter for 4-5 years before his body wares out.

pbmax
04-24-2014, 09:32 AM
No, Abdul had knee issues on both his knees coming into the NFL. That is what limited and ended his career if I remember correctly. Borland doesn't have arthritis in the knees. He will play and play well in the NFL. I don't think he makes Pro Bowls but I could see him as a starter for 4-5 years before his body wares out.

Did Hodge have that in college or after he was drafted?

Pugger
04-24-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm with the "he's like Hodge, or Hawk at very best, and we need speed" group, but I voted your third option because it's such a ridiculous option - unless you're a female poster.

Hey!!! :no:

Borland won't be stellar but he won't stink either. He'll be average and most likely will be a backup. I seriously doubt TT will draft him.

mraynrand
04-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Borland is slower than Hodge, arthritic knees and all (4.81 to 4.78). Maybe a great effort guy, but you can do a lot better. Great rookie FA material.

Patler
04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Didn't Borland have a lot of issues with a surgery early in his career that didn't respond as well as expected and shortened a season? Arm or shoulder or something?

Bretsky
04-24-2014, 11:26 PM
DEARM MAD OR ZOOL; since Bretsky is an idiot he didn't check to show who voted with way on the poll

I'm already outspoken on this; but I want to see the votes of the detractors :)

Can you change that so we can all see who voted which way ?

vince
04-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Hodge....really ? Dude did not have the heart Borland did...didn't put forth the time to study and work as hard as Borland does. I don't see that comparison.
You might want to read up on Hodge's upbringing and college career. I'm not saying Borland doesn't have a ton of heart and great work ethic, but so did Hodge coming into the league. He was a multi-year team captain and won the team's Extra Heartbeat Award his senior year. 2nd in the nation in tackles, great student, heady player, etc. etc.... Heart and mind is what made both of them great college players.

Fritz
04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
You might want to read up on Hodge's upbringing and college career. I'm not saying Borland doesn't have a ton of heart and great work ethic, but so did Hodge coming into the league. He was a multi-year team captain and won the team's Extra Heartbeat Award his senior year. 2nd in the nation in tackles, great student, heady player, etc. etc.... Heart and mind is what made both of them great college players.

The extra heartbeat award? Sounds like he needed to see a cardiologist.

mraynrand
04-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Sounds like Borland had a genetic pre-disposition to win the Extra Heartbeat award. UNSOUND!

Five heartbeats is even better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vp6riby_zg

sharpe1027
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Outperformed all expectations in college. I wouldn't mind him as a backup and STer. As a starter I think he would be someone you were always looking to replace/upgrade.

Patler
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Didn't Borland have a lot of issues with a surgery early in his career that didn't respond as well as expected and shortened a season? Arm or shoulder or something?

OK all you Badger homers, no one stepped up to the plate to address the issue of Borland's injury history, so I researched it myself. While he might not have Hodge-like bad knees, he apparently had an off-season surgery on his shoulder after his freshman year, played one game in which he re-injured it, missed the second game and played six plays in the third before shutting down for the season and a second surgery in a red-shirt sophomore season. Since then he has missed a couple more games with a hamstring injury.

So, he is a short in height, exceedingly short-armed, some what slow, average athlete who hits big with a shoulder that has been operated on twice already. He essentially missed one full season because of a shoulder, plus at least a couple games in another season due to a hamstring injury.

Isn't that the kind of player most of you want TT to stay away from?

Guiness
04-25-2014, 02:04 PM
OK all you Badger homers, no one stepped up to the plate to address the issue of Borland's injury history, so I researched it myself. While he might not have Hodge-like bad knees, he apparently had an off-season surgery on his shoulder after his freshman year, played one game in which he re-injured it, missed the second game and played six plays in the third before shutting down for the season and a second surgery in a red-shirt sophomore season. Since then he has missed a couple more games with a hamstring injury.

So, he is a short in height, exceedingly short-armed, some what slow, average athlete who hits big with a shoulder that has been operated on twice already. He essentially missed one full season because of a shoulder, plus at least a couple games in another season due to a hamstring injury.

Isn't that the kind of player most of you want TT to stay away from?

That shoulder sounds an awful lot like Datko's...

pbmax
04-25-2014, 07:17 PM
That shoulder sounds an awful lot like Datko's...

Except that, understandable concerns aside for the moment, he played for the better part of two years and did not suffer from it again. So he is a light year or so ahead of Datko in that department. He has demonstrated on the field he has recovered.

What that means long term, I have no idea.

sharpe1027
04-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Except that, understandable concerns aside for the moment, he played for the better part of two years and did not suffer from it again. So he is a light year or so ahead of Datko in that department. He has demonstrated on the field he has recovered.

What that means long term, I have no idea.

It means if he injures it again and we draft him then we should have known better. It also means if we don't draft him and he does well, then we should have known better.

You have been posting long enough to know that by now.

Patler
04-26-2014, 10:08 AM
It means if he injures it again and we draft him then we should have known better. It also means if we don't draft him and he does well, then we should have known better.

Yup, all because the Packers have the NFL's only truly incompetent medical staff, awards not withstanding.

mraynrand
04-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Wist?

pbmax
04-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Repped. Perhaps we can print this on a T-Shirt with a picture of Justin Harrell.

Bretsky
04-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I think you would be challenged to find anything who really liked the Justine Harrell pick

A least a few in here would like Borland

Truth be told I'm not sure he's a fit in Green Bay. We need some extreme speed at LB so San Fran and Seattle don't keep making is their bitches. With the speed...he also needs to be able to play....aka..Brad Jones...Goodbye

But I do think he'll be successful in the NFL

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I'd take him on my team...in the right round. If he slides enough, draft him.

mraynrand
04-26-2014, 04:39 PM
We need some extreme speed at LB so San Fran and Seattle don't keep making is their bitches.

I feel the need for speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpwLhZh66A

That's right, we need someone dangerous.

sharpe1027
04-29-2014, 01:07 AM
Wist?

I don't understand the question.

run pMc
04-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Nice job on the research Patler.

Borland was a great college player. I'm not convinced he'll be a great pro player unless he's in the right scheme. I don't think he's a great fit in GB and would prefer a bigger, faster ILB.
The injuries are a concern and many are dinging Mosley in another forum topic for it.

Not that I absolutely think Mosley is Patrick Willis and Borland is DJ Smith, but I worry about Borland's ability to consistently take on a OG or cover a TE when he's giving up 4-5 inches in height/arm length.

pbmax
04-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Patler with some good draft prognostication:

Bad shoulder knocks Badgers' Borland off one NFL draft board (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257212751.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

or perhaps, Patler is a mole trying to get Borland to fall to a team in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

pbmax
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
In other news, some things have not changed:

Meanwhile, executives with three teams said their medical people weren't concerned about the concussion history of Badgers wide receiver Jared Abbrederis.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257212751.html#ixzz30JU9jska
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

gbgary
04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
short with Tyrannosaurus rex arms

ummm.

Patler
04-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Patler with some good draft prognostication:

Bad shoulder knocks Badgers' Borland off one NFL draft board (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257212751.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

or perhaps, Patler is a mole trying to get Borland to fall to a team in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

According to the article, he had two surgeries on his left shoulder and one on the right. I was aware of only the two on his left shoulder. I would not invest a high draft choice in a linebacker who has had three shoulder surgeries already.

Borland was a true freshman in 2009 when he played with a torn labrum in his left shoulder. After the season, he underwent surgery and sat out spring practice.

In 2010, Borland injured the same left shoulder early in the season, played in just two games and had more surgery. In December 2010, he had surgery on his right shoulder for a torn labrum.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257212751.html#ixzz30K9YW6Kp
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Bretsky
11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
BUMP for my man BORLAND...........doing very well since given the opportunity !!!!

George Cumby
11-18-2014, 09:15 PM
We'll see how many seasons he lasts...........

pbmax
11-18-2014, 10:36 PM
I read he already tweaked his shoulder, but he obviously played.

call_me_ishmael
11-18-2014, 11:38 PM
He looks like he belongs. I was very wrong about him. I thought he'd be too small. Maybe he is helped out by the other great players around him in SF. Maybe he is just a hard nosed guy. So was Abdul Hodge, though, and he had similar size, speed, etc. He didn't last :-/

pbmax
11-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 54s54 seconds ago
Former @BadgerFootball and current @49ers linebacker Chris Borland (12 tackles, two INTs vs. #NYG) is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

smuggler
11-19-2014, 12:28 PM
He had a great game. He has all the instincts in the world. Let's see if he can keep it up. I'm still skeptical.

3irty1
11-19-2014, 12:35 PM
I thought he would fail simply because Bretsky liked him. My player evaluation system is collapsing.

esoxx
11-19-2014, 12:36 PM
I was on the Borland train as my vote will attest. Nice job nailing this one Bretsky!

Guy has instinct coming out of his ears which makes up for his size issue. But hey, when you have Hawk and B. Jones inside, why bother with this type of prospect. We were set.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2014, 01:18 PM
He sure looks puny out there.

I'm guessing he's going to be a good player - no risk there given his recent performance. But he could break, especially those dicey shoulders.

Patler
11-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Seriously? Wouldn't most of you have jeered TT for drafting a hard-hitting linebacker who has already had two surgeries on one shoulder and one on the other? I have read over and over on here that TT takes too many risks on players with injury histories, and/or doesn't adequately assess injury risks on players. Here was a guy who had significant, repeated injuries of the type you certainly expect a linebacker to have trouble with, and TT should have drafted him?

A linebacker with three shoulder surgeries already? One who reportedly was taken off a few teams boards because they thought he already needed another shoulder repair? No thanks. Not in the early rounds anyway. All the instincts, effort and desire in the world do no good for a player on IR.

esoxx
11-19-2014, 03:35 PM
It all comes to down to risk tolerance. I for one would not have jeered TT for drafting an undersized LB with injury history.

Because having the two banana slugs we had for inside LB's to end the season, and started the season with again this year, is worth the risk in my view.

Every player comes with flaws. Torrence Marshall was a gifted athlete with impressive size. But he had a ten cent head and the instinct of a fence post.

A fourth down "flyer" if you will on an injury risk, on a position where results have been less than stellar would have been fine with me.

One could also argue he's a TT type of player. Solid character, hard worker, productive, "Packer person" if you will. A football player, not a combine freak.

Also, no guarantee the player with pristine health doesn't shred his knee first play. Any snap could be the last snap as Collins & Finley can attest.

Joemailman
11-19-2014, 05:27 PM
It all comes to down to risk tolerance. I for one would not have jeered TT for drafting an undersized LB with injury history.

Because having the two banana slugs we had for inside LB's to end the season, and started the season with again this year, is worth the risk in my view.

Every player comes with flaws. Torrence Marshall was a gifted athlete with impressive size. But he had a ten cent head and the instinct of a fence post.

A fourth down "flyer" if you will on an injury risk, on a position where results have been less than stellar would have been fine with me.

One could also argue he's a TT type of player. Solid character, hard worker, productive, "Packer person" if you will. A football player, not a combine freak.

Also, no guarantee the player with pristine health doesn't shred his knee first play. Any snap could be the last snap as Collins & Finley can attest.

But Borland was taken with the 13th pick of the 3rd round. Would you have given up a 2nd round pick, or multiple picks to move up in the 3rd round to get him?

esoxx
11-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't think giving up picks to move up get Borland in the 3rd would be wise. Thanks for correcting my error on the round drafted.

But if he had, I wouldn't have jeered him.

Carry on.

Fritz
11-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't think giving up picks to move up get Borland in the 3rd would be wise. Thanks for correcting my error on the round drafted.

But if he had, I wouldn't have jeered him.

Carry on.

You only jeer him once the player is hurt. If he doesn't get hurt, you pretend you were on the bandwagon all along.

Bretsky
11-19-2014, 10:02 PM
I read he already tweaked his shoulder, but he obviously played.

He's already outperformed some of our ILB's career stats :)

He's a player; I compared him with Zach Thomas and John Offerdahl coming into the NFL. He looks the part so far

Bretsky
11-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 54s54 seconds ago
Former @BadgerFootball and current @49ers linebacker Chris Borland (12 tackles, two INTs vs. #NYG) is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5aqGwrTkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHWNnQ7Hmos

Bretsky
11-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Seriously? Wouldn't most of you have jeered TT for drafting a hard-hitting linebacker who has already had two surgeries on one shoulder and one on the other? I have read over and over on here that TT takes too many risks on players with injury histories, and/or doesn't adequately assess injury risks on players. Here was a guy who had significant, repeated injuries of the type you certainly expect a linebacker to have trouble with, and TT should have drafted him?

NO WAY FROM ME

Bretsky
11-19-2014, 10:12 PM
You only jeer him once the player is hurt. If he doesn't get hurt, you pretend you were on the bandwagon all along.

That is why bold threads are made; to get people's view.........and bump them....so we can point out others were wrong forever :)))

This can be one of those ODELL THURMAN type of threads.....that I can bump for the next ten years :)

vince
11-19-2014, 10:27 PM
He's a baller who sticks his nose in there with the best of em and sniffs out deflections and balls on the ground. It's a little early yet but so far so good. He'll be exposed if/when he has to cover for any length of time down the middle or gets matched up in the slot against any number of big fast tight ends or just about any inside receiver. A ton of running backs out of the backfield will even make him look bad before long. Isolate him in the passing game and keep him from hiding in a zone and he'll have issues. I'd still say if he displaces Willis or Bowman next year that means the Niners D is more susceptible than it once was.

He's already outperformed some of our ILB's career stats,
Now there's a ringing endorsement.

Zool
11-20-2014, 08:08 AM
That is why bold threads are made; to get people's view.........and bump them....so we can point out others were wrong forever :)))

This can be one of those ODELL THURMAN type of threads.....that I can bump for the next ten years :)

I wonder what car dealership is employing Chad Jackson now?

George Cumby
11-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I wonder what car dealership is employing Chad Jackson now?

Nope. Piggly Wiggly.

esoxx
11-20-2014, 08:51 AM

Yeah, that's why I voted the way I did before the draft. I "pretend" nothing.

Pls, spew your misinformed sterotype in some other direction.

ThunderDan
11-20-2014, 08:58 AM

So far so good.

3irty1
12-01-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm ready to say Borland is the real deal. DROY.

smuggler
12-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Got flattened by Lynch in a few one on one attempts. He's not much of a heavy hitter, nor is he fast, but he plays efficiently and navigates to the ball very well in traffic. He'll never be an All-Pro level player, but on a good team he can succeed.

Bretsky
12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm ready to say Borland is the real deal. DROY.

When I saw somebody came in here again I figured Borland had a bad game and somebody was going to hammer me.

I assume he had another good game ?

smuggler
12-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd say good but not great. Nhe missed two tackles (that I witnessed myself) but otherwise seemed solid.

Bretsky
12-02-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm really pissed at myself for creating a dam poll without letting me see WHO VOTED WITH WAY

Nice job Dumbass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPErFLWht1U

woodbuck27
12-05-2014, 05:46 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/11/19/analysis-notebook-week-11-3/

BY: Sam Monson | November 19, 2014

" Without Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman you would think the San Francisco 49ers would be left struggling at inside linebacker, but the emergence of Chris Borland means they look as strong as ever at the position.

Borland has been a tackling machine and looks like a draft steal given he was selected in the third round."

For the rest CLICK on the LINK.

mraynrand
12-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Without Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman you would think the San Francisco 49ers would be left struggling at inside linebacker, but the emergence of Chris Borland means they look as strong as ever at the position.

That's over-the-top hype. He's been decent, but I saw one game where he made several mistakes and got run over and around. Better than Hawk or Jones, though. LOL

woodbuck27
12-16-2014, 11:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000444971/article/chris-borland-ankle-likely-done-for-the-season

Chris Borland (ankle) likely done for the season

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 16, 2014 at 05:43 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 16, 2014 at 07:06 p.m.

Patler
12-17-2014, 01:51 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000444971/article/chris-borland-ankle-likely-done-for-the-season

Chris Borland (ankle) likely done for the season

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 16, 2014 at 05:43 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 16, 2014 at 07:06 p.m.

That's too bad.

Patler
03-16-2015, 10:05 PM
.....and then he quit.

His NFL career lasted for 8 starts.

pbmax
03-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Wrong again!

Though with hindsight, my usual brilliant self.

smuggler
03-16-2015, 10:42 PM
bastard could have done Green Bay a favor by waiting to retire until after the draft...

Patler
03-17-2015, 03:01 AM
bastard could have done Green Bay a favor by waiting to retire until after the draft...

Isn't that the truth! Think the 49ers might be looking for linebackers?

Maxie the Taxi
03-17-2015, 05:11 AM
Isn't that the truth! Think the 49ers might be looking for linebackers?

Won't matter. 49ers were already gonna draft best available ILB. Most mocks showed that.

3irty1
03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
I thought he would fail simply because Bretsky liked him. My player evaluation system is collapsing.

Wow Bretsky the world is now just trolling you.

Bretsky
03-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Wow Bretsky the world is now just trolling you.

In Florida noe....just found out and very bummed. Did I curse him?

red
03-20-2015, 07:58 PM

yeah probably. you seem to have that effect

esoxx
03-21-2015, 09:54 AM

Nope. He made a dunb decision all by himself.