PDA

View Full Version : Packers Cannot Draft CJ Mosley

pbmax
04-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Remember that inviolate (PackerRats) rule for drafting college players: everyone knows a player who had two injuries in college that cause him to miss time is injury prone and will flame out in the NFL.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/23/2014-nfl-draft-top-64-cj-mosley/

His career numbers may have been even more striking had he not battled so many injuries. Mosley missed two games in 2011 with an elbow injury, sat out the ’12 BCS championship after dislocating his hip, and needed surgery prior to the combine to fix a labrum issue. Because of that last setback, Mosley skipped the 40-yard dash and the bench press at the combine, adding to the concerns about his ability to withstand the rigors of an NFL schedule.

Brandon494
04-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Yup, thats the main reason I want Shazier over him.

QBME
04-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Those aren't just little nicks and dings. Dislocated hip? Ouch!

pbmax
04-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Those aren't just little nicks and dings. Dislocated hip? Ouch!

I wonder if they took a ligament from his thigh and tied it around the socket and screwed it in place like Clay's thumb.

oldbutnotdeadyet
04-23-2014, 01:53 PM
I wonder if they took a ligament from his thigh and tied it around the socket and screwed it in place like Clay's thumb.

I'm trying really really hard, but having trouble picturing this...

pbmax
04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm trying really really hard, but having trouble picturing this...

Clay Matthews told USAToday that they used a ligament from his forearm (detached it at one end) and used the other to help secure the dislocated joint in his thumb during his second surgery (the one after he came back and reinsured it versus Pitt).

mraynrand
04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Clay Matthews told USAToday that they used a ligament from his forearm (detached it at one end) and used the other to help secure the dislocated joint in his thumb during his second surgery (the one after he came back and reinsured it versus Pitt).

we've covered this. Matthews will be fine - if he's a newt.

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Hey, mraynrand, keep the Newt Gingrich political commentary out of the football thread!!

run pMc
04-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Isn't the saying that you don't leave Alabama without a BCS trophy and at least one surgery?

All the Bama guys are beat up. That said, those don't strike me as minor injuries and it's a concern IMO.
Last year I was all talked into Jesse Williams being a NT they should take, especially as he kept falling until I had to think there was a reason, and then the stories of bad knees and a year on IR for SEA followed.

So are the injuries enough to medical flag Mosley?
Is this why Mosley is dropping into R2 in some mocks?
If Mosley and Shazier are both there, do you take Shazier over Mosley?

Pugger
04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
The reason we cannot draft Mosley is he'll be long gone before #21.

bobblehead
04-24-2014, 09:36 PM

that is just silly...tying a ligament from your thigh around a socket in your thumb....how could you tackle?

bobblehead
04-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Hey, mraynrand, keep the Newt Gingrich political commentary out of the football thread!!

Besides, what difference would it make who Clay supported in the republican primaries?

Bretsky
04-24-2014, 11:23 PM
The reason we cannot draft Mosley is he'll be long gone before #21.

BINGO

And the reason we can't draft Shazier is because Bretsky has endorsed him too much !

woodbuck27
04-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Yup, thats the main reason I want Shazier over him.

It's now being mocked that CJ Mosley will go earlier than Pick #21. That aside:

TT won't take a chance on blowing this 1st Rd. pick at #21. If CJ Mosely is available with Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers on the clock. TT may exercise the trade down option with CJ Mosely available.

Having posted that and it becomes reality. Ted Thompson will risk losing LBer Ryan Shazier.

I hope that TT acts decisively this draft. He needs to get this one right.

I hope that TT uses Pick #21 for LBer Ryan Shazier.

Just Jeff
04-27-2014, 11:25 AM
that is just silly...tying a ligament from your thigh around a socket in your thumb....how could you tackle?

Technically all tackles would be leg whips.

Carolina_Packer
04-27-2014, 11:38 AM
It's now being mocked that CJ Mosley will go earlier than Pick #21. That aside:

TT won't take a chance on blowing this 1st Rd. pick at #21. If CJ Mosely is available with Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers on the clock. TT may exercise the trade down option with CJ Mosely available.

Having posted that and it becomes reality. Ted Thompson will risk losing LBer Ryan Shazier.

I hope that TT acts decisively this draft. He needs to get this one right.

I hope that TT uses Pick #21 for LBer Ryan Shazier.

It's all a roll of the dice, no matter how "guaranteed" it looks. The other day I was reading "Ask Vic" on Packers.com and he made the point that Shazier reminds him of Zach Brown from the Titans who was drafted in the 2nd round in 2012. He did well his first year and then got benched last year. Here is his profile: http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster/Zach-Brown/760f226a-edee-4e47-b3ca-4e1d76f9f311

If the Packers are good with Mosely's medical report and he is on the board at #21 and we have him rated higher than Shazier, then go for it. That's why you make a draft board. For all we know, they have Deon Buchannon rated ahead of Dix and Pryor, but figure that most people have him ranked as a second rounder.

I hope we get a slam dunk, Luke Keuechly type of guy, but that's the dream scenario now isn't it?

Pugger
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
What we would all LOVE to see is Ted's draft board!

pbmax
04-28-2014, 11:34 AM
What we would all LOVE to see is Ted's draft board!

I'll settle for more pics of Jerry's.

Guiness
04-28-2014, 03:16 PM
I'll settle for more pics of Jerry's.

I assume it looks a little like this?

http://www.idioteq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Total-Chaos.jpg

woodbuck27
04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
It's all a roll of the dice, no matter how "guaranteed" it looks. The other day I was reading "Ask Vic" on Packers.com and he made the point that Shazier reminds him of Zach Brown from the Titans who was drafted in the 2nd round in 2012. He did well his first year and then got benched last year. Here is his profile: http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster/Zach-Brown/760f226a-edee-4e47-b3ca-4e1d76f9f311

If the Packers are good with Mosely's medical report and he is on the board at #21 and we have him rated higher than Shazier, then go for it. That's why you make a draft board. For all we know, they have Deon Buchannon rated ahead of Dix and Pryor, but figure that most people have him ranked as a second rounder.

I hope we get a slam dunk, Luke Keuechly type of guy, but that's the dream scenario now isn't it?

I think the closest to that guy is Ryan Shazier. I hope that he's there at #21 and TT agrees or.....

We'll have to wait (hope for that outcome) in a future draft.

RashanGary
04-29-2014, 10:12 AM
As dominate as Mosley is in the passing game, and I'd call heyward an elite slot cb.... In a passing league, Mosley might be the best piece in this draft to put our defense over the hump.

I'd rather have an elite FS, I just don't know if this draft has one.