PDA

View Full Version : Joel Hilgenberg, Asst. O Line Coach, Resigns

pbmax
04-25-2014, 07:39 PM
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=37301&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cites need to spend more time with family. Who is making these guys an offer they can't refuse?

woodbuck27
04-25-2014, 10:20 PM
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/upload/Hilgenberg.jpg

He looks happy.

Carolina_Packer
04-25-2014, 10:31 PM
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=37301&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cites need to spend more time with family. Who is making these guys an offer they can't refuse?

It's a copy cat league. :-)

He was a 10 year veteran player, likely made some decent coin. He comes from a football family. I grew up not far from Iowa City where he and his brother Jay played high school and college ball. His uncle Wally, RIP, played for the Vikes. I'm sure Joel had sense enough to squirrel his money away. Being an assistant line coach can't pay that well. He probably didn't need the paycheck and his daughter might be in high school getting ready to leave the nest. I can't blame him. Life's too short and kids grow up fast.

woodbuck27
04-25-2014, 11:07 PM
It's a copy cat league. :-)

He was a 10 year veteran player, likely made some decent coin. He comes from a football family. I grew up not far from Iowa City where he and his brother Jay played high school and college ball. His uncle Wally, RIP, played for the Vikes. I'm sure Joel had sense enough to squirrel his money away. Being an assistant line coach can't pay that well. He probably didn't need the paycheck and his daughter might be in high school getting ready to leave the nest. I can't blame him. Life's too short and kids grow up fast.

Yes. He'll never regret this decision and he can always return to football at the elite level later on.

Patler
04-26-2014, 08:40 AM
The odd thing to me is that I haven't see this as much with other teams. The Packers have now had two quit this year, both wanting to spend more time with their families.

Is MM demanding too much from his staff?
Do the Packers pay too little for the demands made?
Do the families just not want to live in GB?

vince
04-26-2014, 10:19 AM
The odd thing to me is that I haven't see this as much with other teams. The Packers have now had two quit this year, both wanting to spend more time with their families.

I don't have a link but I recall reading somewhere that an individual with knowledge of Kevin Greene's situation indicated his wife did not like Green Bay and that played a role in his decision.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Perhaps all of those things are true. That and, if an assistant has played in the league for a while, has done well with the money that he has earned, and has a family situation, like a wife who doesn't care for the living arrangement or a child who is going to be out of the house soon, then he can afford to simply step away. Like Wood said, they can always come back if they left on good terms.

pbmax
04-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Both are former players and may not have liked the career choice as much as they had hoped. Neither transitioned to coaching right away. There is a gap of 10 years in his bio at Packers.com (he has already been removed but you can see the cached version) between his playing career ending and his coaching career starting at the bottom rung (quality control).

Smeefers
04-26-2014, 04:47 PM

I'm not surprised you don't hear about position coaches quitting from other teams. The only time you hear anything is when it's a coordinator and then only if they're big named or taking HC jobs. They call it the coaching carosel for a reason. People get on and off, but the wheel keeps turning.

Patler
04-26-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm not surprised you don't hear about position coaches quitting from other teams. The only time you hear anything is when it's a coordinator and then only if they're big named or taking HC jobs. They call it the coaching carosel for a reason. People get on and off, but the wheel keeps turning.

The National football post list all that stuff, and that is where I first read about Hilgenberg. Don't recall much about other teams losing their assistants.

denverYooper
04-28-2014, 09:28 AM
The National football post list all that stuff, and that is where I first read about Hilgenberg. Don't recall much about other teams losing their assistants.

Other teams just fire them. Green Bay just pressures them to spend time with their families.

KYPack
04-28-2014, 01:12 PM
This is starting to get old.

I want a guy to announce that he is being forced out of his job and he is splitting to leave his wife & kids and run off with somebody else's wife.

pbmax
04-28-2014, 01:14 PM
This is starting to get old.

I want a guy to announce that he is being forced out of his job and he is splitting to leave his wife & kids and run off with somebody else's wife.

Or that he punched a kicker.

Zool
04-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Or that he punched a kicker.

I don't think you even get reprimanded for that anymore.

MadScientist
04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Perhaps he realized that assistant OL coach under Campen looks worse on a resume than being unemployed and watching Gilligan's Island reruns.

mraynrand
04-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Perhaps he realized that assistant OL coach under Campen looks worse on a resume than being unemployed and watching Gilligan's Island reruns.

What's a 'rerun?'

Joemailman
04-28-2014, 05:47 PM
What's a 'rerun?'

http://www.toolazytowriteabook.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rerun.jpg

gbgary
04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Family...the other F word.