PDA

View Full Version : Now here's a real shocker.....

Patler
05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
The Packers have decided not exercise their option for Derek Sherrod in 2015, which would have cost $7.438 million.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/9319/packers-wont-pick-up-sherrods-option-year

Just Jeff
05-03-2014, 07:10 AM
I guess some of the optimists may have over shot their prognosis

woodbuck27
05-03-2014, 07:16 AM
A good and proper time to cut bait.

Carolina_Packer
05-03-2014, 07:45 AM
So I guess Sherrod and Raji have something in common this year.

red
05-03-2014, 07:46 AM
well it doesn't mean they can't or won't re sign him after this year. it just means that aren't willing to hand him 7.5 million for next season based on what he's done so far, which is nothing

smart move, and really the only move

Fritz
05-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Thank God you don't run this team.

Pugger
05-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Just because we didn't exercise the option doesn't mean we are giving up on him. I suspect they want to see how he performs this spring and summer. If he plays well and his leg is okay then they may resign him for less money than he makes now. With Bulaga's recent injury woes it might be a mistake to have only Barclay is the backup.

Bretsky
05-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Free Fluffy

Patler
05-03-2014, 09:00 AM
I wasn't suggesting that they were giving up on Sherrod, just wanted to confirm what we all knew would happen. The team declined the option. There was really no choice, it was way too expensive. Sure, they might re-sign Sherrod for 2015, but he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. If he shows anything, there will be others interested in him as well. If Sherrod shows that he can be a starter, I think you try to re-sign him as soon as you are sure. He doesn't seem to be an injury risk any more than he was as a rookie. He has had one injury that does not indicate anything as far as tendency toward injuries.

For me, Bulaga is the more interesting situation. We know he can play when he is healthy, but he has been missing far too much. It's been one thing after another with him. How long do they wait to discuss an extenstion with him, and how much are you willing to pay?

What if both Sherrod and Bulaga are hail and healthy, and play like first rounders in 2014? Do you try to keep both? If only one, which one? Their play on the field might decide that for you, but what id it doesn't and both look like starters along with Bakhtiari? It would be a good problem to have.

Just Jeff
05-03-2014, 09:36 AM
I wasn't suggesting that they were giving up on Sherrod, just wanted to confirm what we all knew would happen. The team declined the option. There was really no choice, it was way too expensive. Sure, they might re-sign Sherrod for 2015, but he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. If he shows anything, there will be others interested in him as well. If Sherrod shows that he can be a starter, I think you try to re-sign him as soon as you are sure. He doesn't seem to be an injury risk any more than he was as a rookie. He has had one injury that does not indicate anything as far as tendency toward injuries.

For me, Bulaga is the more interesting situation. We know he can play when he is healthy, but he has been missing far too much. It's been one thing after another with him. How long do they wait to discuss an extenstion with him, and how much are you willing to pay?

What if both Sherrod and Bulaga are hail and healthy, and play like first rounders in 2014? Do you try to keep both? If only one, which one? Their play on the field might decide that for you, but what id it doesn't and both look like starters along with Bakhtiari? It would be a good problem to have.

We haven't had that problem since Tausher and Clifton, I don't see the recreation of that line anytime soon. Thank Thompson AR is more mobile than BF

pbmax
05-03-2014, 10:03 AM
All the doubters will be amazed when Bach is on the (piano) bench to start the season.

Just Jeff
05-03-2014, 10:14 AM
All the doubters will be amazed when Bach is on the (piano) bench to start the season.

By this I assume that you mean that we win the coin toss and allow Seattle to receive?

pbmax
05-03-2014, 10:16 AM
By this I assume that you mean that we win the coin toss and allow Seattle to receive?

I would claim victory at that point.

But no, I am rooting for Sherrod to win the spot outright. I think he can do it if Newhouse doesn't strike from Cincinnati.

Patler
05-03-2014, 11:54 AM

I've wondered about that, and if bumping Bulaga back to RT has as much to do with their hope for Sherrod as it does with their satisfaction with Bakhtiari. Frankly, Bak was OK, but I'm not convinced he's the starter there for the next 10 years.

GB could go from having two of the smallest starting tackles in 2013 to two of the larger ones in 2014.

pbmax
05-03-2014, 12:19 PM
I've wondered about that, and if bumping Bulaga back to RT has as much to do with their hope for Sherrod as it does with their satisfaction with Bakhtiari. Frankly, Bak was OK, but I'm not convinced he's the starter there for the next 10 years.

GB could go from having two of the smallest starting tackles in 2013 to two of the larger ones in 2014.

The position is so fraught with questions, I hesitate to draw conclusions from the move.

I suspect its mostly about their comfort with Bach as an improvement over Newhouse. I hope Sherrod was also a factor in moving Bulaga back.

Patler
05-03-2014, 01:17 PM
The position is so fraught with questions, I hesitate to draw conclusions from the move.

It's about time for something to go right for the Packers, isn't it?

Guiness
05-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I'd love to drink some of the Sherrod kool-aid too, but if they liked what they saw from him when he returned to the active roster last year, why didn't he see the field? Newhouse still came off the bench ahead of him when they had to shuffle the OL.

pbmax
05-03-2014, 06:45 PM
I'd love to drink some of the Sherrod kool-aid too, but if they liked what they saw from him when he returned to the active roster last year, why didn't he see the field? Newhouse still came off the bench ahead of him when they had to shuffle the OL.

One of the known elements about McCarthy's in season coaching is his tendency to stick to the plan until its obviously inoperative and needs to be changed.

Newhouse had been a starter, he was the backup and he took the most reps at the position. So no matter how high they were on Sherrod, Newhouse would play until proven incapable.

red
05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
One of the known elements about McCarthy's in season coaching is his tendency to stick to the plan until its obviously inoperative and needs to be changed.

Newhouse had been a starter, he was the backup and he took the most reps at the position. So no matter how high they were on Sherrod, Newhouse would play until proven incapable.

the problem with that theory is that newhouse was a complete disaster when he was on the field. he was a liability, he added nothing positive to the team

anyone/thing would have been an improvement over the shit he laid on the field when he was in there

if newhouse had been mediocre or even below average, then i could accept your idea, but he almost got a-rod/flynn/tolzien/wallace killed ever time he stepped on the field last year

esoxx
05-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Sherry... sigh

pbmax
05-03-2014, 09:39 PM
the problem with that theory is that newhouse was a complete disaster when he was on the field. he was a liability, he added nothing positive to the team

anyone/thing would have been an improvement over the shit he laid on the field when he was in there

if newhouse had been mediocre or even below average, then i could accept your idea, but he almost got a-rod/flynn/tolzien/wallace killed ever time he stepped on the field last year

Jef Saturday lasted 12 games and it took the QB lobbying for that to change. Newhouse made it into only a handful of games last year and Sherrod had to come off PUP to get reps.

bobblehead
05-03-2014, 09:47 PM
I think they could sign Sherrod for 2 years for that amount RIGHT NOW if they offered it.

Point is that even PB and myself, who are very high on Sherrod wouldn't have taken that 5th year option at this point.

More surprising to me is that SF actually did exercise the 5th year option on Aldon Smith.

red
05-03-2014, 10:10 PM
I think they could sign Sherrod for 2 years for that amount RIGHT NOW if they offered it.

Point is that even PB and myself, who are very high on Sherrod wouldn't have taken that 5th year option at this point.

More surprising to me is that SF actually did exercise the 5th year option on Aldon Smith.

i agree

realistically, if he was healthy and played, 7.5 million for one year is a pretty hefty price for one year. maybe if the guy was on the verge of being a prowbowler, but anything less just isn't worth that kind of coin. imo

lets see if he can take the field this year and do anything, if he can, we can resign him for a whole hell of a lot less then 7.5 million per year

pbmax
05-04-2014, 08:14 AM

The explanation is a beaut too. The GM had a really serious conversation with Smith, one on one, and is convinced he wants to change. Looked him right in the eye and everything.

Fritz
05-04-2014, 08:15 AM
It will be an interesting year for the offensive line - will either Sherrod or Bulaga actually work out? I can't imagine both doing so.

And will Tretter be an upgrade over Erectile Dysfunction-Smith?

Can the line stay healthy?

Pugger
05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
It will be an interesting year for the offensive line - will either Sherrod or Bulaga actually work out? I can't imagine both doing so.

And will Tretter be an upgrade over Erectile Dysfunction-Smith? :lol:

MM and company must like Tretter at center. If they didn't I doubt they would have let EDS walk.

Zool
05-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Sherrod starting at LT?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/dc/dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea27157911 8ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

Patler
05-05-2014, 06:55 AM
MM and company must like Tretter at center. If they didn't I doubt they would have let EDS walk.

Maybe they just didn't like EDS all that much after watching him for a whole year.

Just Jeff
05-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Maybe they just didn't like EDS all that much after watching him for a whole year.

+1. Center is a pretty tough position to master as a rookie. Even more so when you don't play as a rookie. I'd be beyond surprised if Tretter dazzles us this year.

Patler
05-05-2014, 07:41 AM

+1. Center is a pretty tough position to master as a rookie. Even more so when you don't play as a rookie. I'd be beyond surprised if Tretter dazzles us this year.

I was surprised when I looked back at EDS' performance statistically (per JSO). Apparently he was much worse than I thought he was. I started the following thread:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26728-EDS-a-look-back&highlight=eds+sacks

which noted the following:

- He was responsible for 22 bad runs (per JSO). That was the most on the team. Bakhtiari was second with 15 1/2.

- EDS gave up 6 sacks, which was the most by a Packers' center during the period of 1991-2013. Frank Winters has the second most with 4 1/2 in 1994.

- While responsible for a lot of sacks for a center, he was deemed responsible for only 11 1/2 pressures.

Maybe Tretter doesn't have to be all that good to be better than EDS was last year?

denverYooper
05-05-2014, 08:22 AM
well it doesn't mean they can't or won't re sign him after this year. it just means that aren't willing to hand him 7.5 million for next season based on what he's done so far, which is nothing

smart move, and really the only move

Winner winner chicken dinner.

File this one under "Well, duh"

Pugger
05-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I was surprised when I looked back at EDS' performance statistically (per JSO). Apparently he was much worse than I thought he was. I started the following thread:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26728-EDS-a-look-back&highlight=eds+sacks

which noted the following:

- He was responsible for 22 bad runs (per JSO). That was the most on the team. Bakhtiari was second with 15 1/2.

- EDS gave up 6 sacks, which was the most by a Packers' center during the period of 1991-2013. Frank Winters has the second most with 4 1/2 in 1994.

- While responsible for a lot of sacks for a center, he was deemed responsible for only 11 1/2 pressures.

Maybe Tretter doesn't have to be all that good to be better than EDS was last year?

This is what I'm thinking. And Tretter went to Cornell so he is no dummy.

Just Jeff
05-05-2014, 10:02 AM
This is what I'm thinking. And Tretter went to Cornell so he is no dummy.

Yes but we are a playoff team. I think the bar should be set higher than, needing to be the tallest midget. At this point, we are left with a completely untested commodity or playing musican chairs on the Oline for the umteenth year.

Zool
05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes but we are a playoff team. I think the bar should be set higher than, needing to be the tallest midget. At this point, we are left with a completely untested commodity or playing musican chairs on the Oline for the umteenth year.

EDS was the tallest midget last year and got pushed around a lot. Maybe Tretter is good enough to solidify the interior of the line for the next 4-5 seasons, maybe he sucks. He won't be worse than Saturday. I get the feeling he's got some game.

pbmax
05-05-2014, 12:10 PM
I would take the tallest midget this year because unlike EDS, this midget might grow into the role. EDS is a vet and isn't going to get much better.

Patler
05-05-2014, 12:26 PM

Wolf's O-lines seemed to have constant change as well. Seemed like there were a couple positions up for grabs every year with him. The only stable time was the few years under Sherman the GM (albeit thanks mostly to Wolf's drafting of those players).

woodbuck27
05-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Thank God you don't run this team.

As a GM I'd use common sense. As a GM I'd shove ego to the side. I'd be honest with myself. In terms of a Derrick Sherrod that has to start with admitting a failure and extreme hope for a certain high draft prospect. That's certainly the case and Tackle Derek Sherrod .

It comes down to the bottom line of what is this prospect showing us besides another season of being simply a prospect. At what cost do you go on with Derek Sherrod and extend his extremely limited status Fritz?

Laying to the side all excuses and any injury status. OT Derek Sherrod has done what to justify his draft status?

I'll inform you of the fact of life and this prospect. He's contributed next to nothing Fritz. Next to nothing doesn't justify a huge $multi-million$ reward ! To allow such a move and support such is fool hardy.

Do know what he'll bring to the table this season? I sure don't and I want to see a whole lot more from him before awarding Derek Sherrod so handsomely.

2014 is one more huge season and it's a lot more from OLman Derek Sherrod or as a GM I'd certainly be cutting bait and Tackle Derek Sherrod.

bobblehead
05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
The explanation is a beaut too. The GM had a really serious conversation with Smith, one on one, and is convinced he wants to change. Looked him right in the eye and everything.

Mad...don't ban me bro, but a political reference is in order here: I looked Putin in the eyes...he is a good man.

bobblehead
05-05-2014, 12:55 PM

And will Tretter be an upgrade over Erectile Dysfunction-Smith?

EDS is not a stand up guy. I am not sad it...er he is gone.

bobblehead
05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I would take the tallest midget this year because unlike EDS, this midget might grow into the role. EDS is a vet and isn't going to get much better.

Agreed, EDS peaked early, and it was a low peak...this is too easy.

pbmax
05-05-2014, 01:10 PM
As a GM I'd use common sense. As a GM I'd shove ego to the side. I'd be honest with myself. In terms of a Derrick Sherrod that has to start with admitting a failure and extreme hope for a certain high draft prospect. That's certainly the case and Tackle Derek Sherrod .

It comes down to the bottom line of what is this prospect showing us besides another season of being simply a prospect. At what cost do you go on with Derek Sherrod and extend his extremely limited status Fritz?

Laying to the side all excuses and any injury status. OT Derek Sherrod has done what to justify his draft status?

I'll inform you of the fact of life and this prospect. He's contributed next to nothing Fritz. Next to nothing doesn't justify a huge $multi-million$ reward ! To allow such a move and support such is fool hardy.

Do know what he'll bring to the table this season? I sure don't and I want to see a whole lot more from him before awarding Derek Sherrod so handsomely.

2014 is one more huge season and it's a lot more from OLman Derek Sherrod or as a GM I'd certainly be cutting bait and Tackle Derek Sherrod.

I think you and Fritz are agreeing. Your first post (about cutting bait) seemed like it might indicate you preferred to dump him now. I think Fritz thought that was a year premature, since he is in the last year of a reasonable contract for a possible starter.

Your post above indicates you didn't want to cut bait now, but evaluate after this season without another year tacked onto his deal.

Hence, you two are in agreement.

woodbuck27
05-05-2014, 01:16 PM
I think you and Fritz are agreeing. Your first post (about cutting bait) seemed like it might indicate you preferred to dump him now. I think Fritz thought that was a year premature, since he is in the last year of a reasonable contract for a possible starter.

Your post above indicates you didn't want to cut bait now, but evaluate after this season without another year tacked onto his deal.

Hence, you two are in agreement.

The report informs me that Derek Sherrod has to get something done this season in terms of service to the team or he's in certain jeopardy of being let go.

Put another way:

The report tells me that the Packers are getting set to cut bait and Derrick Sherrod if he's unproductive for another season.

Guiness
05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
The report informs me that Derek Sherrod has to get something done this season in terms of service to the team or he's in certain jeopardy of being let go.

Put another way:

The report tells me that the Packers are getting set to cut bait and Derrick Sherrod if he's unproductive for another season.

I'm not so sure he's got the season to prove himself. I would expect he does not get a pass through TC.

Fritz
05-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Well, for sure he's got to stay healthy. But to make the team, I think he merely needs to stay healthy and prove he's better than Marshmellow Newhouse was as a backup at both LT and RT.

But I am in that minority that thinks, if this dude stays healthy, he's the real deal. He can start at LT for this team and they can move Bahkteria to the right.

Bulaga's the one who'll get hurt again, methinks.

pbmax
05-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Put another way:

So in other words your comment is that a draft pick who cannot play or land a significant role within four years is going to be let go at the end of his contract?

How is that news?

pbmax
05-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Well, for sure he's got to stay healthy. But to make the team, I think he merely needs to stay healthy and prove he's better than Marshmellow Newhouse was as a backup at both LT and RT.

But I am in that minority that thinks, if this dude stays healthy, he's the real deal. He can start at LT for this team and they can move Bahkteria to the right.

His attendance record is worse than Sherrod's.

woodbuck27
05-05-2014, 03:39 PM

The comment on Bryan Bulaga aside.

Every Packer fan hopes that your correct Fritz.