PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Draft Commandments

The Shadow
05-04-2014, 11:48 AM
1. Thou shalt keep thy plans close to the vest, maintaining a Poker Face at all times.
2. Thou shalt honor the BPA Appoach.
3. Thou shalt ignore #2 if a player thou deem to fulfill a position of need has only a slighly lower grade than the BPA.
4. Thou shalt allowth the holy GAME FILM to guide thee.
5. Thou shalt not covet the inevitable ATHLETIC FREAK with incredible Combine numbers whose game film tells a different story.
6. Thou shalt not REACH.
7. Thou shalt draft for value at all times.
8. Thou shalt avoid the temptations of fan clamorings, for they know not what they do.
9. Thou shalt be open at all times to opportunities, and be flexible & fluid in moving up or down.
10. Thou should endeavor in your post-draft press conference to cometh up with something a little more novel than "We were shocked to find him still on the Board".

pbmax
05-04-2014, 04:38 PM
11. Thou shalt take a WR in the second round 3 out of every 5 years.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
#5 is kind of interesting because I just watched a show on ESPN where a GM said don't draft based on college production where the guy was basically saying draft the athlete. I still think the guy has to have good tape though--even if he wasn't ultra productive.

red
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
#5 is kind of interesting because I just watched a show on ESPN where a GM said don't draft based on college production where the guy was basically saying draft the athlete. I still think the guy has to have good tape though--even if he wasn't ultra productive.

the athletic freak is usually the guy that ends up as a bust

The Shadow
05-04-2014, 06:41 PM
If you have not developed football instincts in the college game, how are you going to develop them in the pros, where everything is even faster?

run pMc
05-05-2014, 09:01 AM
yeah, trust the tape, not the combine numbers. there's track speed and football speed. also, some guys have no football instincts/IQ and just get by on talent...in the pros everyone is talented.

Pugger
05-05-2014, 09:38 AM
If you have not developed football instincts in the college game, how are you going to develop them in the pros, where everything is even faster?

Exactly.

Fritz
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM

But the average athlete NEVER ends up as an All-Pro.

No, you can't base your decision solely on a guy's measurables, but you better not draft a team full of try-hard, good-tape guys who were good college players but aren't great athletes, or you're going to end up without a job soon.

MadScientist
05-05-2014, 11:49 AM

There are cases where a player changes position, in which case the instincts are not fully developed. Those are usually targets for late round / UFA's. In the first 4 rounds I would trust tape over raw athletic numbers, in 6-7 I would put more emphasis on athleticism especially with small school players, with the idea that better coaching could mold an athlete into a football player. Driver and Shields come to mind as top notch athletes who took some coaching to become good football players.

pbmax
05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

You keep taking only football players and you get Schottenheimered.

pbmax
05-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Playing at the correct position.

Practicing with better coaches.

Fitting with a better scheme.

See Tom Brady, who couldn't beat out Drew Henson in college. I am greatly disappointed that this has not resulted in a terrible Michigan QB curse.

woodbuck27
05-05-2014, 12:27 PM
The word "freak" ... "in Athlete Freak" paks with glaring volume to ignore that prospect and choose instead the PBA in terms of his football results on the field of play.

One rule I would have is pick a prospect that is tough, reliable and loves to play/compete.

Game after game he's available and brings game.