PDA

View Full Version : Official 1st Round Of The NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Bretsky
05-08-2014, 11:26 PM
So I guess Trent Murphy wins the white OLB award this year for Packer Rats fans.

Past winners:

Shea Mcclellin
Casey Matthews
Brooks Reed
Paul Kruger

lol...feel free to head into the 2nd round pick thread and add any names you'd like to be seeing GB target....

Brandon494
05-08-2014, 11:27 PM
YES...DUMBASS MCGINN on that one. He should read PR and the points we made about safeties getting overdrafted too high due to so many teams being weak there..

BTW, gave you kudos a few pages back on youe Benjamin call in round one...u were right

Thanks, the kid is raw but anyone can see the talent is there. Panthers are a great fit for that kid, he'll be a TD machine for them with Cam Newton.

Brandon494
05-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I really wanted Shaizer or Pryor but can't complain we got HaHa. The more I read on Shazier the more I felt he wouldnt last to the 21st pick. Like I said Ted wasn't going to pass on either safety if they were still there at 21, but I wonder who Ted would have picked if Pryor were still there at 21?

Striker
05-09-2014, 02:10 AM
I'm glad the Packers filled the immediate need with Ha Ha. Sucks the Vikings actually have a QB for the moment. Glad to see the Lions keep thinking "offense offense offense" despite their question marks on defense.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Is there room on this defense for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Johnny Jolly? Good thing they didn't trade up for Clowney too.

Then we might say we have the rebirth of "The Happy Gang".

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm glad the Packers filled the immediate need with Ha Ha. Sucks the Vikings actually have a QB for the moment. Glad to see the Lions keep thinking "offense offense offense" despite their question marks on defense.

The Vikings had to get a solid QB prospect.

The Detroit Lions had needs: Safety; CB and DE...all "D".

Yet that franchise lends too... I wasn't surprized that the LIONs went to "O" with Rd. 1 Pick 10. I didn't see TE Eric Ebron there.

I thought they'd go FS or CB.

Their current TE Brandon Pettigrew is just OK I'm guessing (light on TD"s) but they'll get a lot more out of the TE position beginning this season.

They'll need that if they don't pick more on defense.

Another thought and all the same. Matthew Stafford's total yards will be enormous.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 07:05 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/packers-get-last-laugh-with-ha-ha-clinton-dix/

Packers get last laugh with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 8, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 07:08 AM
I really wanted Shaizer or Pryor but can't complain we got HaHa. The more I read on Shazier the more I felt he wouldnt last to the 21st pick. Like I said Ted wasn't going to pass on either safety if they were still there at 21, but I wonder who Ted would have picked if Pryor were still there at 21?

Just the fact that the Steelers picked Shazier tells you a lot about how good he should be.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix ✔ @haha_cd6 ... Tweets:

" Glad to be a Cheese Head! " #PackersNation

@ 12:34 AM - 9 May 2014

2,429 Retweets 3,171 favorites

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnKetsNCQAAQtcl.jpg:large

Packer Fans React to Ted Thompson going with FS Hasean "Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as his 1st Rd. Pick @ NO. 21.

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Great call by McGinn on no 1st round safeties in this years class.

not that I want to defend Scoops McGinn, but have to see these guys play to see if they are 'first round' material. Hopefully for C-D at least, that is true.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 07:16 AM
http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/wi-sports/green-bay-packers/What-are-Packers-players-tweeting-219168601.html

What are Packers players tweeting RE: the addition of FS Hasean Ha Ha Clinton-Dix?

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Right now we celebrate that pick with absolute joy as he was a highly regarded prospect that many in here never expected to get a shot at.

It's then DRAFT and how TT's picks make out after this weekend is something else but if TT hits it again even one more time like he did last night I'd call his draft really decent.

I very happy he didn't sell out and trade down....rather use Pick NO. 21.

Just Jeff
05-09-2014, 07:40 AM
I don't see TT having any other choice here. This was a pic that you could have programmed your ipad to do. If he was there, we were taking him. Given what else was on the board there was no question here. TT didn't even need to show up. The only more obvious pic was Houston at #1. I like it and its a need and its BPA. The trifecta pick.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 07:43 AM
I don't see TT having any other choice here. This was a pic that you could have programmed your ipad to do. If he was there, we were taking him. Given what else was on the board there was no question here. TT didn't even need to show up. The only more obvious pic was Houston at #1. I like it and its a need and its BPA. The trifecta pick.

It took him quite a while to make it.

Drama ! :whaa:

bobblehead
05-09-2014, 08:30 AM
not that I want to defend Scoops McGinn, but have to see these guys play to see if they are 'first round' material. Hopefully for C-D at least, that is true.

Correct. He never said no safeties would be drafted, just said there were no first round talents.

Joemailman
05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Correct. He never said no safeties would be drafted, just said there were no first round talents.

McGinn had Pryor/Ha-Ha going 29/30.

smuggler
05-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Yeah, gotta think he's wrong. A lot of talent evaluators, including those in Green Bay disagreed with him.

Fosco33
05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Did anyone else see the Packers draft room reaction after getting HaHa? Someone gave TT a fist-bump... man, I wish I had that as a GIF.

Smidgeon
05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
don't say that

TT has never drafted the person that the posters in the draft thread have wanted

Well, I guess yet one more trend TT has bucked. I was surprised he nabbed the guy many of us wanted a while back. I was expecting a surprise.

Smidgeon
05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Board is filled with morons....as are most. Why do you think I'm here?

Haven't filled your quota yet? ;) I keed! I keed!

Smidgeon
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
la canforas phone blows up, wtmj goes to commercial, nfln goes to commercial and espn is at commercial

must be the packers pick

Yep. I've noticed that the last couple years. Whenever the Pack is on the clock, when the networks are usually talking about the upcoming team's needs and picks available...the networks always go to commercial.

Smidgeon
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I hate drafts by Ted that I understand. Its never worked out before.

Pretty much my thought this morning too, but as always, we'll see how it works out. I am happy about the pick though. I feel better about this than I did Datone, but to be fair, I knew nothing about Datone. I had to ask people on this board to form an opinion for me.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Did anyone else see the Packers draft room reaction after getting HaHa? Someone gave TT a fist-bump... man, I wish I had that as a GIF.

Yeah, I think they feel like they hit a home run.

Smidgeon
05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix will wear No. 21.

So the Pack is not planning on retiring 21?

First, I find it notable (even if slightly) that the Packers issued a respectable jersey number to HHCD. That tells me they have high hopes for him. Like they gave Collins Butler's number, this could be a tell. But possibly not even though I think so.

packers only have 5 retired numbers, maybe one day it will be 6

can't retire every number worn by our great players, we'd have no numbers left to use

With 4 soon joining the list, the Packers will have retired two players from each championship era: Hutson and Canadeo, Starr and Nitschke, White and Favre.

For the recent super bowl, it will be 12 and 52. BUT, it will depend on continued success before either is enshrined for sure. They may end up as unofficial retired numbers like Lambeau's and Hornung's instead. Woodson was great, DPOY great. But 52 has meant more for the continued success in the current championship era.

Smidgeon
05-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Wasn't that Wolf the Younger?

Guiness
05-09-2014, 11:20 AM
The Browns are just too funny - can't get ANYTHING right. Here is their original tweet announcing the Manziel pick. Picking on them is picking low hanging fruit, but how can you pass it up?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--nzA8pdP_--/pp2tvhupijoasppegkft.jpg

And the reply to that:
Stay classy Cleveland! You'll always be 1th in my heart!

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Now you know why Johnny can't read

Guiness
05-09-2014, 11:54 AM
And why the hell did the Browns swap picks with the Vikings, giving up a 5th in the process? Did they really want Gilbert that bad and feared someone else would grab him? Would it of mattered that much? Felt like they just go antsy waiting for their pick and wanted to bud in line. That franchise just can't get out of their own way.

Zool
05-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Have mattered.

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
And why the hell did the Browns swap picks with the Vikings, giving up a 5th in the process? Did they really want Gilbert that bad and feared someone else would grab him? Would it of mattered that much? Felt like they just go antsy waiting for their pick and wanted to bud in line. That franchise just can't get out of their own way.

That 'someone else' can only be the Vikings. So the Vikings are saying "We don't really want this guy, but we can pretend we do, to extract a #R5 pick out of Cleveland" Then Cleveland says "Hey, they want this guy, but a #R5 pick will change their minds." Cleveland got schooled. they hold onto their wads, and they don't lose the #R5 pick.

Guiness
05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Have mattered.

tə-ˈmā-tō, təˈmɑːtəʊ!

Guiness
05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
That 'someone else' can only be the Vikings. So the Vikings are saying "We don't really want this guy, but we can pretend we do, to extract a #R5 pick out of Cleveland" Then Cleveland says "Hey, they want this guy, but a #R5 pick will change their minds." Cleveland got schooled. they hold onto their wads, and they don't lose the #R5 pick.

My thoughts as well. The old adage of letting the draft come to them - something Sherman never learned.

The 'someone else' I referred to was the fear Cleveland may of had that since the Vikings were willing to trade to them, why not someone else? That's jumping at boogeymen to be sure though.

Zool
05-09-2014, 12:29 PM
tə-ˈmā-tō, təˈmɑːtəʊ!

Fine then, would've

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Actually, it's possible the Vikings outsmarted themselves. They might have thought there's no way the Browns would draft the guy they wanted, so let's get a 5th round pick. I think they might have though. Paul Allen, the Vikings radio guy, is usually pretty plugged in on early picks. He usually talks up the guy the Vikings want, and he oftentimes correctly predicts who the Vikings will take. I've always felt like the organization uses him to get some good publicity on the guys they like. Anyways, a co-worker was telling me that Allen was really talking up Gilbert yesterday--even though most experts had Gilbert falling on their boards. I think he might have even predicted the Vikings take Gilbert.

Guiness
05-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Actually, it's possible the Vikings outsmarted themselves. They might have thought there's no way the Browns would draft the guy they wanted, so let's get a 5th round pick. I think they might have though. Paul Allen, the Vikings radio guy, is usually pretty plugged in on early picks. He usually talks up the guy the Vikings want, and he oftentimes correctly predicts who the Vikings will take. I've always felt like the organization uses him to get some good publicity on the guys they like. Anyways, a co-worker was telling me that Allen was really talking up Gilbert yesterday--even though most experts had Gilbert falling on their boards. I think he might have even predicted the Vikings take Gilbert.

I can buy that - Vikings need help in the defensive backfield, and I'm sure they expected the Browns to grab Manziel in that spot. I did.

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Interesting view. Seems plausible.

Could it be that Allen was providing a smoke screen for the team? :)
Plans within plans within plans....

Rastak
05-09-2014, 01:30 PM

I heard Zimmer was pounding the table for Barr and wants to use him as a oft blitzing SAM linebacker. Greenway is going to be moved, likely to weakside.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I heard Zimmer was pounding the table for Barr and wants to use him as a oft blitzing SAM linebacker. Greenway is going to be moved, likely to weakside.

Where did you hear the pounding of the table? I haven't heard that. I thought Gilbert was an obvious projection to Minnesota because Zimmer had a very similar corner in Cincinnati (Jonathan Joseph). Teams can project after the draft that the player they got was the one they really wanted. I'm sure Spielman would say they had Bridgewater as their top QB now, but it sounds like they really wanted Manziel.

Rastak
05-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Where did you hear the pounding of the table? I haven't heard that. I thought Gilbert was an obvious projection to Minnesota because Zimmer had a very similar corner in Cincinnati (Jonathan Joseph). Teams can project after the draft that the player they got was the one they really wanted. I'm sure Spielman would say they had Bridgewater as their top QB now, but it sounds like they really wanted Manziel.

Not literally pounding the table. I forget where I read that he was pushing hard for it. Gilbert would have been solid too. I did hear that Johnny football stuff also and it doesn't make alot of sense to me. He's pretty risky and I didn't sense that Spielman was into risks this time when it came to qbs.

Just Jeff
05-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Wow, that looked so uncomfortable for TT. I think he thought he was in a fight.

Rastak
05-09-2014, 01:57 PM

I should also note your scenario is feasible. Teams don't usually tell each over who they'll pick in these situations. I would also say that if they really really wanted Gilbert they likely wold have just taken him. I assume they had equal grades with Barr and maybe Donald so one spot isn't a big deal.

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 02:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGnSYHk-fi8

Guiness
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
What about Detroit? Ebron? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Pettigrew is signed for the next few years, and they've got enough guys to catch balls there with him, Johnson, Tate and Bush. Seems like an 'anti-need'.

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I like the Lions pick, they went for BPA instead of reaching for need. All I know is that I'm selecting Stafford in fantasy this season with all the receiving options he'll have....plus they will have to score 35 a game to win.

ThunderDan
05-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I should also note your scenario is feasible. Teams don't usually tell each over who they'll pick in these situations. I would also say that if they really really wanted Gilbert they likely wold have just taken him. I assume they had equal grades with Barr and maybe Donald so one spot isn't a big deal.

OR they could have waited and not turned in a pick :-) and still taken Barr.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM

I thought Donald and Gilbert were obvious projections for Zimmer's defense. I know DT isn't a need, but Donald would be great in that defense. If Floyd pans out, it's a moot point, but they may regret passing on Donald. Barr is a great talent though. I'm not that high on Bridgewater, but they got him at a good spot.

Rastak
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM
OR they could have waited and not turned in a pick :-) and still taken Barr.

I think ole Tice is gone now.......:glug:

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
I can buy that - Vikings need help in the defensive backfield, and I'm sure they expected the Browns to grab Manziel in that spot. I did.

Many NFL Experts felt that the Browns would select QB Johnny Manziel with their early pick and they didn't and managed to recover. That fact is interesting.

Tony Manziel is simply happy that he landed someplace in the 1st round and just want to get started and help the browns out. I do think he felt he was going to Cleveland. It's like a lot of thing were aligned to ensure that was a reality.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
What about Detroit? Ebron? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Pettigrew is signed for the next few years, and they've got enough guys to catch balls there with him, Johnson, Tate and Bush. Seems like an 'anti-need'.

That pick caught me by surprize also.

The Detroit Lions have priority needs at Safety; CB and DE.

I thought they were OK with Pettigrew @ TE.

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I like the Lions pick, they went for BPA instead of reaching for need. All I know is that I'm selecting Stafford in fantasy this season with all the receiving options he'll have....plus they will have to score 35 a game to win.

I was surprised they signed Pettigrew. I think he's well on the downside of a disappointing career.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 04:06 PM

It's a luxury to have two solid TE's. Remember the recent success for the NE Pat's? How they struggle minus that.

Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and now TE Eric Ebron and the Lions "O". I predict a career season and total yards or > 5,038 yards and the Lions still miss the playoff.

They need to fix their "D". Priority needs after a solid offensive 1st Rd. pick; remaina at Safety, CB and DE.

run pMc
05-09-2014, 04:21 PM

I think it was Chip Scoggins from the Star-Tribune who had an article yesterday saying the logical pick was Gilbert, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was fake info leaked.
Sounds like they are really happy with Barr and Bridgewater...they're talking Teddy up as the future QB even though he'll start the preseason as the #3 guy behind Cassel and Ponder.
Barr sounds like a physical freak but I thought I heard somewhere that he didn't play well against good competition. Zimmer will do good things with him but he'll have a lot of growing to do to succeed. He helps out their LB corps which was not good last year. Greenway is decent but declining and yet is probably their best LB.

red
05-09-2014, 04:42 PM

there's not enough balls to go around imo

megatron, golden tate, pettegrew, bush, now ebron

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
there's not enough balls to go around imo

megatron, golden tate, pettegrew, bush, now ebron

Sometimes that a good problem to have....

Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, Driver

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Depleted!

red
05-09-2014, 05:11 PM

yeah, but that only managed to stay together for one year

after one year we lost drive and jennings, leaving 4 of those 6

then after this year we've lost finley and jones, now just 2 of those 6 left

bush pettigrew and tate all just got recent deals, megatron has a mega deal that isn't going anywhere, and ebron is there for at least 5 years

can they keep everyone happy and productive for multiple years?

denverYooper
05-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Stafford need another big target to force the ball to. The Lions figured that shooting their way out is the the only way.

wist43
05-09-2014, 05:18 PM
The Lions might be better than we are now... they certainly destroyed us last time we played. 40-10 isn't even a competitive game - I don't care if Rodgers was out or not. They literally beat the living hell out of us on both sides of the ball.

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
The Lions might be better than we are now... they certainly destroyed us last time we played. 40-10 isn't even a competitive game - I don't care if Rodgers was out or not. They literally beat the living hell out of us on both sides of the ball.

Lmao yea because its not like Rodgers has any impact on this team.

Joemailman
05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
The problem wasn't just Rodgers, but it's just 1 game. If that game were indicative of the type of team the Packers have, they might have drafted Clowney last night.

Willard
05-09-2014, 05:39 PM
This is the lions we are talking about. They are certain to implode. Something will destroy their hopes by Halloween. Perhaps Stafford will pull a Burleson and drive his car over the entire Lions Offense in the parking lot while attempting to save the pizza that is falling off his lap. This kind of thing happens all the time in Detroit.

pbmax
05-09-2014, 05:39 PM

What is the level beyond unhinged? Because this comment goes there. :)

wist43
05-09-2014, 06:08 PM
The Lions got rid of Schwartz, so that alone could stablize the ship.

Talent wise, they probably are better than we are.

Bretsky
05-09-2014, 06:11 PM
well it's a good thing our DC is way better then theirs then :)

wist43
05-09-2014, 06:14 PM
well it's a good thing our DC is way better then theirs then :)

If they can get their back seven fixed at all... they'll be tough. Offensively, they have a ton of talent. Their DB's are terrible, and their LB's are the definition of pedestrian.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 12:20 AM
If they can get their back seven fixed at all... they'll be tough. Offensively, they have a ton of talent. Their DB's are terrible, and their LB's are the definition of pedestrian.

They have to concentrate on drafting defense. They need balance...but that might be the story on all of the NFCN teams.