View Full Version : Official Day 2 (Round 2&3) Of The NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bretsky
05-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Richard Rodgers, TE, California
Height: 6-4. Weight: 257.
40 Time: 4.87.
Projected Round (2014): 5-7.
5/6/14: Rodgers has some athletic and receiving ability for a big tight end. He collected 39 receptions for 608 yards with a touchdown in 2013. Rodgers made 20 catches for 288 yards and a score in 2012. With a loaded 2014 tight end class, the junior should have returned for his senior year, but he entered the 2014 NFL Draft. Rodgers didn't impress at the Combine.

Personal: Undeclared major. Son of Richard Sr. and Mindy Rodgers. His father played at California and was part of the 1982 lateral play with the Stanford band on the field. Richard Sr. then played in the Canadian Football League and Arena league. He currently is an assistant special teams coach with the Carolina Panthers.

wist43
05-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Like I said... I can see Rodgers has some ability - can't block my sister, but he could be a decent receiver in our offense. It's a projection to be sure though...

Absolutely hate the Thorton pick though... and I say that after watching a little bit of tape on him where he wasn't awful - but so what, we simply won't use the guy enough to justify a 3rd round pick.

woodbuck27
Pick NO. 85 for the Packers:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/khyri-thornton?id=2543653

Khyri Thornton - Southern Miss - Conference USA

pittstang5
A very confusing third round. The TE fills a need, but there were a couple rated higher than this guy. Sounds like he's a receiver and not much of a blocker.

red
05-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Pierre Desire....CB...that's what we were referring to him as....raw..great showing at Senior Bowl...read up on him and watched a special on him.

not for me. the canuck for me is Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 10:30 PM
The Green Bay Packers Pick NO 53 In Round two:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

WR - Davante Adams - Fresno St. - Mountain West

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Houston Texans are killing the draft

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Highlights of Mr Rodgers

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2014-Draft-Prospect---Richard-Rodgers-TE-Calif/bcfb4092-30da-4b85-96d8-eef7f54f3317

Not great at making guys miss but I like his hands, you can tell he was a former WR.

call_me_ishmael
05-09-2014, 10:45 PM
In Ted we trust, I guess. Though if this draft doesn't produce a few guys, it might be time to fortify the scouting department. Haven't drafted a pro bowler since 2009 I don't think.

Bretsky
05-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Houston Texans are killing the draft

DAM............looking at their picks...that is absolutely INSANE
they have been brilliant in targeting spots they want to move to and then getting their guy
My gut says TT was licking his chops waiting for Nix
But the texans were not going to let that happen

They have the best Defender in the draft, a stud OG, a good TE, and then leaped us to get a NG that was supposed to get drafted way way earlier

RashanGary
05-09-2014, 10:54 PM
The TE is interesting because thats a high pick in a draft thats supposed to be deep. SF and SEA keep moving back. They must think there are players. We'll see....

Joemailman
05-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Aaron Rodgers ‏@AaronRodgers12 25m
Another Rodgers from Cal in Green Bay, sweet.

Looks like a developmental pick, but there's some real talent. Rodgers and Thornton both look like guys who probably won't be expected to contribute a ton in 2014.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Who is the canuck???

This guy?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brent-urban?id=2543765

Joemailman
05-09-2014, 10:58 PM
DAM............looking at their picks...that is absolutely INSANE
they have been brilliant in targeting spots they want to move to and then getting their guy
My gut says TT was licking his chops waiting for Nix
But the texans were not going to let that happen

They have the best Defender in the draft, a stud OG, a good TE, and then leaped us to get a NG that was supposed to get drafted way way earlier

So, did you want TT to draft a D-lineman who couldn't finish the season due to injury?;)

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Looks like a developmental pick, but there's some real talent. Rodgers and Thornton both look like guys who probably won't be expected to contribute a ton in 2014.

Is that what we want in Rounds 1-3?

TT isn't picking BPA. if any member here feeds off that shit that member is mistaken.

It seems clear that tonight TT picked for the team needs.

Lots of DLman left on the board.

ie .... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-by-name-input:u/dt-tabs:dt-by-grade/dt-by-grade-input:3

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 10:59 PM
How did we need another lineman?? To stand on the sidelines??

Only need 2 on the field at a time.

Aww shut up.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8538895056_ecb7831cc6.jpg

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 11:00 PM
So, did you want TT to draft a D-lineman who couldn't finish the season due to injury?;)

Packer people.

Joemailman
05-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Is that what we want in Rounds 1-3?

TT isn't picking BPA. if any member here feeds off that shit that member is mistaken.

I'm okay with drafting developmental guys as long as they have significant upside. Any GM who drafts players based on what they will do as a rookie is a fool.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't like the R. Rodgers pick at all. Thornton actually seems intriguing.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 11:09 PM

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - OT - McGill

Height: 6'5 | Weight: 315 | Hometown: St. Hilaire, QC

Duvernay-Tardif, the top ranked prospect for the CFL Draft, is the lone CIS product that could hear his name be called in the NFL Draft after working his way into the conversation with impressive post-season workouts.

He's likely very strong. Let me check.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 11:13 PM

RE: DT Khyri Thornton:

Draft Analysis:

"This guy flies all over the field. He can play inside, but he moves along the line of scrimmage. There's an energy, there's a motor." -- Mike Mayock

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 11:15 PM

I like the Thornton pick as well, dude has a motor and goes all out on every play. Thats especially hard to do when your team only wins one game in 2 seasons.

What don't you like about the Rodgers pick? His game or you just think we selected him too early? This draft class was weak at TE and we really never got a chance to pick one of the bigger names. He needs to work on his blocking but the like the fact that his dad is the special teams coach for the Panthers. If he can bulk up and his dad could teach him a few pointers he might turn out to be a nice player for us. Being a former WR I like his hands and he seems he knows how to find the soft spots in zone coverages. Head coaching changes, position changes, and injuries seemed to derail him in college but reports say he'll be a better pro.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - OT - McGill

Height: 6'5 | Weight: 315 | Hometown: St. Hilaire, QC

Duvernay-Tardif, the top ranked prospect for the CFL Draft, is the lone CIS product that could hear his name be called in the NFL Draft after working his way into the conversation with impressive post-season workouts.

He's likely very strong. Let me check.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/laurent-duvernay-tardif?id=2543816

Read comments please.

He'll likely be a fourth round Pick. he's very smart..strong and dedicated.

Joemailman
05-09-2014, 11:28 PM
I like Thornton better now that I've seen some highlights of him. I think he guarantees we've seen the last of Johnny Jolly.

woodbuck27
05-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Here is and and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif's strength:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/01/road-draft-laurent-duvernay-tardif/

Postion: Tackle. ...School: McGill (Canada).

Measurements: 6-foot-5, 321 pounds.

40 time: 4.96 seconds. Bench press: 34 reps of 225 pounds.

Career: 26 starts at tackle.

Draft projection: Fourth round

He's smart and dedicated with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

He's been admitted to Medical School.

The question I'd have:

" What's his primary direction? "

BZnDallas
05-10-2014, 12:43 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say it, I don't understand every pick, however, I trust in TT. I don't particularly think I'm drinking the juice either. HaHa is easy to explain, he fell to us and was obviously a need AND BPA. Easy top 10-15 player in the draft. Easily makes this defense better just by being competent, could help make this defense really good if he can run and improve the communication in the secondary.

Adams sounds like James Jones body with Jordy Nelson's last years college production. Guy caught everything thrown his way and had big big numbers. Say what you want about a tricked out offense or whatever. The guy went out there and caught the ball when it was thrown his way and produced produced produced. Ron Wolfs biggest regret was not keeping weapons around during the late 90s. These two players make this team better than they were 3 days ago.

The DT Thornton (sp?), I'm not sure about this pick but I can see a place where this guy pushes Boyd and helps plug a hole left by an older vet leaving. I'm not sure about BPA here but I'm not in the war room either. Since R. Rodgers is the new athletic TE prospect, looks like its time for Quarless to pull up his big boy pants and GODS GIFT his ass to play like a starting TE in the NFL. I think with a normal QB, Quarless might not make it, but with A. Rodgers running the show, I can see him pull it off and be the TE GB was hoping he'd be if Finley didn't work out. Trust in TT and see what magic he pulls off tomorrow.

RashanGary
05-10-2014, 12:45 AM

DL drafted in the first round are a coin flip. He's a big guy with some ability and a track record of being able to move people around with some functional strength and a high motor. We'll see when he gets here. He comes from a poor program with less than stellar production numbers. He must have some pretty good tape if tt takes him with a high pick in a deep draft. Actually, with everything going against him, he must have some stellar tape to offset all of the negatives.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Does the Thornton pick point to a different philosophy along the DL? It looks like there's no longer any room for two big run pluggers on this defense. I think the success of Daniels and Boyd last year showed the direction this DL is going. Thornton fits that Daniels and Boyd mold...moreso than Raji and Pickett. Pickett or Jolly may be back, but I don't think they both will be. One of them may be resigned to back up Raji, if the Packers don't get DaQuan Jones, Justin Ellis, Daniel McCullers, Zach Kerr, or Ryan Carrethers.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 01:34 AM
Both our 3rd round draft picks were on shitty teams, each only winning one game last season. Maybe these guys flew under the radar because of that and these draft sites didn't have them rated as high as some NFL scouts who obviously watch more film.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Does the Thornton pick point to a different philosophy along the DL? It looks like there's no longer any room for two big run pluggers on this defense. I think the success of Daniels and Boyd last year showed the direction this DL is going. Thornton fits that Daniels and Boyd mold...moreso than Raji and Pickett. Pickett or Jolly may be back, but I don't think they both will be. One of them may be resigned to back up Raji, if the Packers don't get DaQuan Jones, Justin Ellis, Daniel McCullers, Zach Kerr, or Ryan Carrethers.

They are trying to create more pass rush from the DL for sure with Daniels, Jones, and now Thornton. I still consider Boyd a run plugger though, he'll back up Raji this season. I don't see Jolly or Pickett returning unless a training camp injury occurs, especially with Worthy coming back. Thornton adds depth all across the DL because hes strong enough to play NT and also quick enough to play DE.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Just because you haven't heard of these guys don't mean they can't become players. Do some research before you judge, I'm liking both picks now.

The TE pick reaks of a need versus BPA pick; he looks alright but he doesn't seem to do anything special. There were stlll IMO some nice players out there to draft.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 07:43 AM

In round three, I would have loved to see round 1/2 talent with concerns. Texans made it happen

wist43
05-10-2014, 07:48 AM

I'm the exact opposite on those guys... I can see the upside to Rodgers, but WTH sense does Thorton make??

Aside from the fact that he'll play about 10% of the snaps, and likely be inactive on most Sundays - we have just a shit-ton of DL that dunderdummy only uses sporadically as it is. Just a complete WTF pick.

wist43
05-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I like Thornton better now that I've seen some highlights of him. I think he guarantees we've seen the last of Johnny Jolly.

I thought he looked okay on tape too... but so what - so did Daniels, Worthy, Perry, D. Jones, Raji, Neal, and Mulumba (who I like at least as much as anyone in our front seven, sans Matthews)... how many guys can you have on the sideline and inactive every week??

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 07:53 AM
49ers have traded a conditional 2015 draft pick to Buffalo for Stevie Johnson. I guess we know why the Bills wanted Sammy Watkins so bad. Couldn't wait to get rid of Johnson.

49ers with Stevie Johnson is scary; they have had a great weekend and it appears they have gained on most of the rest...

Maxie the Taxi
05-10-2014, 08:26 AM
The difference between an amateur and a pro...

On my dream draft board I had a WR (Benjamin), TE (A. Sefarian Jenkins), FS (Vereen), and DT (McCullers) being among the 1st six picks. TT's selections at WR, DT and FS are flat out better than my guys. His TE is arguably as good or better than mine, at least developmentally.

In the top six picks I also had an ILB (Telvin Smith) and a CB (Stanley Jean-Baptiste[BPA]).

For the remaining picks I chose a LB, QB and C.

I trust TT will best me on all these picks as well. I'm extremely happy he's our GM and not me.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 09:20 AM
you ain't leaving either

one more pick

bunch of quitters. one shitty pick and you all throw in the towel

C'mon, you know me better than that. In three years I will be the only one holding gout hope.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 09:36 AM

That is the $34,000 question. Because of true then they need a backup NT still OR think Boyd can handle it.

smuggler
05-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I really like the way Rodgers attacks the ball in the air.

He looks WRish and does not look like much of a blocker. He also doesn't have top-flight speed and his feet look a little slow, but man can he elevate.

Fritz
05-14-2014, 07:17 AM
I like the Thornton pick as well, dude has a motor and goes all out on every play. Thats especially hard to do when your team only wins one game in 2 seasons.

What don't you like about the Rodgers pick? His game or you just think we selected him too early? This draft class was weak at TE and we really never got a chance to pick one of the bigger names. He needs to work on his blocking but the like the fact that his dad is the special teams coach for the Panthers. If he can bulk up and his dad could teach him a few pointers he might turn out to be a nice player for us. Being a former WR I like his hands and he seems he knows how to find the soft spots in zone coverages. Head coaching changes, position changes, and injuries seemed to derail him in college but reports say he'll be a better pro.

I would like the Rodgers pick much better if they'd followed it up with an ILB named Hammerstein.

smuggler
05-14-2014, 07:20 AM
A linebacker named Hammerstein would be destined for greatness.

mraynrand
05-14-2014, 07:22 AM

It would be awesome if he were a WR: Rodgers and Hammerstein!

Fritz
05-14-2014, 07:25 AM

Back in the day U of Mich had a smallish DE named Mike Hammerstein. I think he was a role player for a year or two in the NFL.

Guiness
05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Back in the day U of Mich had a smallish DE named Mike Hammerstein. I think he was a role player for a year or two in the NFL.

lol, right you are!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hammerstein

woodbuck27
05-14-2014, 10:10 AM
49ers with Stevie Johnson is scary; they have had a great weekend and it appears they have gained on most of the rest...

yes.

Whatever the analysts are saying about teams and grading.

The San Fran 49ers just killed it.

There's a team that's going for it right now.

woodbuck27
05-14-2014, 10:14 AM

I'm not sure where this #1 CFL Draft candidate went in yesterday's CFL draft; but it sure looks like he was being bypassed in the first round. I believe that was the case because he looks like a stick in the NFL with KC.

That he was bypassed due to that risk and a high draft pick. He sure looks like a good find for the Chiefs. ' Of course' I wish TT had decided on a chance on this prospect and had drafted him.

Guiness
05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure where this #1 CFL Draft candidate went in yesterday's CFL draft; but it sure looks like he was being bypassed in the first round. I believe that was the case because he looks like a stick in the NFL with KC.

That he was bypassed due to that risk and a high draft pick. He sure looks like a good find for the Chiefs. ' Of course' I wish TT had decided on a chance on this prospect and had drafted him.

He went to Calgary in the third round, still pretty high considering he's likely to be somewhere in the NFL this season, even if it's just on a practice squad. The other Canadian prospect to get an NFL tryout, David Foucault still went in the first round, but he wasn't drafted.