PDA

View Full Version : WOW Cleveland just cant get anything right

wpony
05-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Last night they got there QB they think now they loose there best wr maybe best player Josh gordan for up too a yr for a 2nd failed drug test http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Wow just by smoking weed....unreal.

Bretsky
05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
well....from sounds of it getting caught multiple times smoking weed

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 05:31 PM
well....from sounds of it getting caught multiple times smoking weed

Shit thats just an average day for me. I don't smoke cigs, I rarely drank, and I don't eat fast food but god forbid you smoke a joint. :roll:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2013-11-26-weedandthegop.png

wpony
05-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I bet their next pick is WR no matter what else their team needs

mraynrand
05-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Was he in Washington at the time? #totallylegal

wpony
05-09-2014, 05:37 PM
His 1st suspension was for cough medicine with codeine

red
05-09-2014, 05:38 PM
wow, unreal

red
05-09-2014, 05:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IUGtwDTV6w

Willard
05-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Agreed, but if you had $Millions to lose you would stop, right?

wpony
05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
I just looked it up it says his home town is in Texas not legal there

mission
05-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Yes I would

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Of course but you shouldn't be banned a whole season. I'm positive other players smoke too, you just can't be a dumb ass about it which I guess he is.

Bretsky
05-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Of course but you shouldn't be banned a whole season. I'm positive other players smoke too, you just can't be a dumb ass about it which I guess he is.

How stupid do you have to be to get caught multiple times ?
He's flushing millions of dollars down the toilet. What a waste of a guy who can't put talent and his head together.

Bretsky
05-09-2014, 06:04 PM

He's already been suspended/caught once. And didn't get get nipped in college too ?I'm fine with a year suspension. Maybe he'll follow the rules then...maybe not...if not...goodbye. He's made his choices and now he can live with them.

Guiness
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I bet their next pick is WR no matter what else their team needs

I bet they wish they'd offered the Bills a 3rd for Stevie Johnson! Seriously though, the article says that the front office knew this was coming.

Dude's had a lot of problems with weed. Kicked off Baylor team because of it. Didn't play at Utah because of a unspecified failed drug test. The suspension last year for codeine...so he says. It's been getting him in trouble for a few years, but for whatever reason he can't or won't quit, and it's costing him literally millions of dollars.

And he's an incredible talent...

pbmax
05-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Many do not. The NFL recreational drug testing program is predictable. Once in the offseason and once in camp I think. Once you get tested after the season, its fair game until camp.

bobblehead
05-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Shit thats just an average day for me. I don't smoke cigs, I rarely drank, and I don't eat fast food but god forbid you smoke a joint. :roll:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2013-11-26-weedandthegop.png

Not disagreeing with you, but when you know you will be tested and its against the rules and you make millions....just say no.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Last night they got there QB they think now they loose there best wr maybe best player Josh gordan for up too a yr for a 2nd failed drug test http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension

It gets worse as I understand that they also lost WR Nate Burleson.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24556591/browns-wr-nate-burleson-breaks-arm-out-until-training-camp

Cleveland Browns WR Nate Burleson breaks arm and is out until Training camp.

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

May 9, 2014 11:29 pm ET

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/Nate-Burleson-Fractured-arm.jpg

Mommy .... am I accident prone?

Guiness
05-12-2014, 12:23 PM
It gets worse as I understand that they also lost WR Nate Burleson.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24556591/browns-wr-nate-burleson-breaks-arm-out-until-training-camp

Cleveland Browns WR Nate Burleson breaks arm and is out until Training camp.

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

May 9, 2014 11:29 pm ET

Didn't he break his arm while out getting pizza last year???

Another nail in this coffin, there's a story that the Browns were ready to draft Birdgewater and Haslam stepped in.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/browns-deny-they-nearly-drafted-teddy-bridgewater/

edit: seems pft just can't get enough of the Browns. More QB news, they released VY
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/browns-release-vince-young-four-others/
He's 31. Have to think this is the LAST we hear of him wrt an NFL career.

smuggler
05-12-2014, 12:35 PM
If Haslam did indeed keep them from drafting Bridgewater at 4, 9, or 8, then that would be excellent intervention by him.

Guiness
05-12-2014, 12:41 PM
If Haslam did indeed keep them from drafting Bridgewater at 4, 9, or 8, then that would be excellent intervention by him.

Story is that they had his name on a card, and Haslam had them replace it with Manziel.

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Browns: We strenuously deny that.

"Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

Guiness
05-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Browns: We strenuously deny that.

"Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

mhmm. Methinks thou dost protest too much. Haslam has to be bored, he's not allowed to meddle with Flying J at all, so he has to do something to fill his time. Maybe he's watching film? Wants to follow in Jerry Jones footsteps, and will name himself an assistant coach this season? That would be a hoot.

smuggler
05-12-2014, 02:14 PM
So they traded up for Bridgewater but drafted Manziel @ 22 instead? Yeah that would not be good intervention by an owner...

Fritz
05-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Browns equal factory of sadness.

Guiness
07-05-2014, 02:07 PM
And it continues.

It seems Josh Gordon, upon receiving what could possibly be some good news, that his appeal is going to be heard, goes out to celebrate. And gets arrested.

http://fansided.com/2014/07/05/cleveland-browns-josh-gordon-arrested-north-carolina/#!8VMUd

texaspackerbacker
07-05-2014, 04:40 PM
What could be better than having drinking buddies throwing and receiving passes hahahaha.

red
07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
yeah, browns really needed to draft a WR this year. looks like their top guy might be done for good

getting a DWI on the eve of your indefinite suspension hearing is never a good thing

Freak Out
07-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Can't fix stupid.

MadScientist
07-06-2014, 01:42 AM
yeah, browns really needed to draft a WR this year. looks like their top guy might be done for good

getting a DWI on the eve of your indefinite suspension hearing is never a good thing

My first thought was that he was like Jolly, too addicted and with lousy 'friends', but DWI can easily hurt innocent people. Maybe a few months in jail will cure him, because nothing else has come close to working.

wist43
07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
My first thought was that he was like Jolly, too addicted and with lousy 'friends', but DWI can easily hurt innocent people. Maybe a few months in jail will cure him, because nothing else has come close to working.

Jail worked for me, lol...

I was a wild, druggin, fightin, red neck, lol... woke up in jail completely bleary eyed and trying to remember what went down last night on more than one occassion :)

I didn't have millions of $$ on the line though... he needs to be surrounded by a good support system, take his keys away, and get his mind involved on other things that might interest him.

He obvioulsy didn't have any parenting, or at least very bad parenting. I can relate as I was on my own at 16. It's not an excuse, but what young kid has a clue about anything without a caring adult guiding them and teaching them?? I didn't get things figured out until I was about 23 or 24 - by then a kid can fuck himself right into prison for the rest of his life.

There is a school of thought in Cleveland that if Gordon is suspended for a significant period of time, he will likely never play football again, as he will likely succumb to his immaturity and the bad influences of the idiots around him.

As Patrick Swayze said, "... there's always barber college" ;)

Just Jeff
07-06-2014, 08:48 AM
As Patrick Swayze said, "... there's always barber college" ;)
Another great Oline pick by TT.

help, I can't stop

pbmax
07-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Another great Oline pick by TT.

help, I can't stop

Actually, if you keep going down this line, with the number of T2's picks still playing and often starting for other teams, you might eventually realize the error in your critique.

Patler has a thread of former Packers still playing, its somewhere on this board.

Patler
07-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Yup, and Allen Barbre is a good example.

He is expected to be the Eagles starting RT for the first four games if Lane Johnson is suspended. He bounced around after leaving GB, was suspended himself while with the Seahawks, but has found a home in Philadelphia. They signed him for two years last year, then this summer added a three year extension to the one year still remaining, so now he is signed through 2017. Not a huge contract by an means, but he got something like $600K in signing bonus, $150K in workout bonus, and has salaries of $1.25 M in 2015-2017. The Eagles figure him to be their primary backup at both guards and both tackles.

A 4th round pick who is still playing in any role 8 years after he was drafted wasn't a poor selection. The fact that he could never get it together in GB makes me wonder about Campen, especially when the Eagles extended his contract for three years a full year before they had to.

Here is a guys film breakdown on Barbre's game against the Packers last year:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Film-breakdown-Can-the-Eagles-survive-with-Allen-Barbre-at-RT-for-four-weeks.html

Freak Out
07-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Thank you Patler.

Just Jeff
07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Sorry but a GM who is infamous for resigning his own picks, and doesn't sign his own guy. He may go on to be a HOF lineman, but in GB he was average on his best days.

Guiness
07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Sorry but a GM who is infamous for resigning his own picks, and doesn't sign his own guy. He may go on to be a HOF lineman, but in GB he was average on his best days.

If you think the Pack should've retained Barbre, you'd be the only one. He was playing awfully, and didn't put it all together until after he bounced around the league for 2 or 3 more seasons. He was nothing short of awful during his time with the Packers, even if you ignore the punching of a coach.

Patler
07-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Barbre is an interesting topic.

Should he have been drafted? Certainly, he has had a career spanning 8 years, and is signed for years 9-11. Obviously he has talent worthy of the NFL
Should they have let him get away? (I don't remember if he was cut, or simply not resigned as a free agent). Again, I say "yes". He was awful in GB.

For me, the important question is why did he have to leave GB to find himself?

bobblehead
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Barbre is an interesting topic.

Should he have been drafted? Certainly, he has had a career spanning 8 years, and is signed for years 9-11. Obviously he has talent worthy of the NFL
Should they have let him get away? (I don't remember if he was cut, or simply not resigned as a free agent). Again, I say "yes". He was awful in GB.

For me, the important question is why did he have to leave GB to find himself?

I am buying into the coach theory. I have now witnessed both Babre and Newhouse suddenly regress and forget that its a contact sport. Both guys suddenly became guys that were about as lost and effortless as I have ever seen. I can't think of a decent explanation.

Joemailman
07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
I am buying into the coach theory. I have now witnessed both Babre and Newhouse suddenly regress and forget that its a contact sport. Both guys suddenly became guys that were about as lost and effortless as I have ever seen. I can't think of a decent explanation.

Newhouse's lack of ability to finish plays was the knock against him coming out of college. I just don't think he ever got better. That's mostly his fault. Barbre is a somewhat different story. He was a somewhat talented guy from a small school who in my opinion got thrown into the starting lineup before he was ready. That was a coaching error. Whether the fault falls on McCarthy, Philbin, Campen or some combination I'm not really sure.

Patler
07-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Newhouse's lack of ability to finish plays was the knock against him coming out of college. I just don't think he ever got better. That's mostly his fault. Barbre is a somewhat different story. He was a somewhat talented guy from a small school who in my opinion got thrown into the starting lineup before he was ready. That was a coaching error. Whether the fault falls on McCarthy, Philbin, Campen or some combination I'm not really sure.

Isn't that backwards, maybe? Newhouse was thrown into the starting lineup in the 4th game of his his second season, after never being active for a game as a rookie.
Barbre didn't start until his third season, after getting at least some active time his first two seasons.

Begs the question, why wasn't Barbre more ready to play by his third season?

Joemailman
07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Isn't that backwards, maybe? Newhouse was thrown into the starting lineup in the 4th game of his his second season, after never being active for a game as a rookie.
Barbre didn't start until his third season, after getting at least some active time his first two seasons.

Begs the question, why wasn't Barbre more ready to play by his third season?

Maybe he's just not good enough. Those 7 games he started in 2009 are the only 7 games he's ever started. I stand by my opinion that he wasn't ready, and shouldn't have started at RT in 2009. I have no idea if he's better now.

bobblehead
07-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Yes, but I am talking about a complete lack of effort. These guys were never good early on, but in both cases, the more they played the worse they looked. Last season Newhouse resembled Babre, simply watching guys blow past him without even a hint of effort towards blocking them. It was embarrassing.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Contact wasn't his problem, unless you mean actually not whiffing when trying to make contact.

KYPack
07-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Yes, but I am talking about a complete lack of effort. These guys were never good early on, but in both cases, the more they played the worse they looked. Last season Newhouse resembled Babre, simply watching guys blow past him without even a hint of effort towards blocking them. It was embarrassing.

Barbre had a flaw in his mechanics when he was a kid in the league. He would tip his kick step. He was too clumsy to do a glide step to get wide. So he would always do a kick step, every time. And it was an obvious, ugly, clumsy ass kick step. Like a fat white boy trying out for Dancing with the Stars. He got by with it for a bit, until we played the Bears. Wally Ogunleye (SP) was on his last legs, but when he saw tape on Barbre, he said "I got this".

He timed Barbre's kick step to death. Whenever Barbre tried to make his "move", Wally would heart punch him and knock him out of the way. A couple times, he knocked Barbre all the way back, flat on his ass.

It wasn't a flaw in Barbre's mechanics, it was a Grand Canyon. Barbre got gunshy and became a man w/o a position. He bounced around the league and eventually has worked things out enuff to be a back-up.

40 years ago, these kind of guys went to work for a moving company or something.

Cheesehead Craig
07-08-2014, 10:39 AM

I've been wanting Campen gone for a while now. I'm thinking it's time for a change there given the OL hasn't been all that good for a while. Yeah I know injuries and blah blah blah but that excuse is getting a bit tiresome why guys regress or simply don't get better while here.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 11:04 AM

I agree that Newhouse was an embarrassment last year. But if he quit trying because he wasn't a starter, I don't think that's on the coach.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I've been wanting Campen gone for a while now. I'm thinking it's time for a change there given the OL hasn't been all that good for a while. Yeah I know injuries and blah blah blah but that excuse is getting a bit tiresome why guys regress or simply don't get better while here.

Foe the last year and a half, the Packers offensive line has been made up of 4th round picks, 5th round picks, and UDFA's. I suspect few OL coaches have had to make do with less.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Barbre not developing into a serviceable backup 6 or 7 years into his career is hard to pin on Campen. He had another failed attempt in Seattle to latch on to an NFL club before finding the Eagles. Did the 2 subsequent coaches remake Barbre, or did he simply build on what he had learned previously?

And remember, as wist would tell us, the system counts. The Eagles offense is not a traditional NFL offense. His job is not to stand on an island at RT and pass block like a fortress for 5 seconds.

I more clearly remember his time at Guard when he made Colledge look like an All Pro. Barbre could not cut off angles without over committing and usually ended up reaching to block with just his arms despite some very solid athletic skills.

Newhouse last year wasn't getting starters reps after camp and I think it showed. He rarely finished plays ever. But he still had nifty feet and could get wide in a hurry. Last year his problem was that people were killing him inside as well. When you don't have ideal size, its hard to close off both angles unless your technique is rock solid. And his wasn't. He was a tackle because of need and his feet but not much else.

Campen took a banged up and young line and made it one of the better run blocking units in the League in a hurry. That should not be underestimated. And as we have been trying to convince Tank, part of his leaky protections are the QB holding onto the ball forever. He has been functioning without the two most important pieces (tackles) for much too long, mainly due to injuries. The list of his shortcomings is long, but he has accomplished quite a bit with what, at times, has not a stellar cast.

Putting player development on him is fair, as it is for any position coach, but as Capers has shown, if the architect won't run what you can do, then all the player development in the world is useless. When McCarthy adjusted last year for Lacy and Rodgers injury, things looked more cohesive.

bobblehead
07-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Contact wasn't his problem, unless you mean actually not whiffing when trying to make contact.

Kinda. He was so bad he was barely making contact with his man...literally. It was an embarrassment.

bobblehead
07-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I agree that Newhouse was an embarrassment last year. But if he quit trying because he wasn't a starter, I don't think that's on the coach.

I'm not sure. I have seen it twice now though where it was obvious. I am thinking along the lines of the coach might have been all over the map telling them to do one thing one day, and another the next until the guy was so screwed up he was like a deer in headlights.

Patler
07-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Barbre not developing into a serviceable backup 6 or 7 years into his career is hard to pin on Campen. He had another failed attempt in Seattle to latch on to an NFL club before finding the Eagles. Did the 2 subsequent coaches remake Barbre, or did he simply build on what he had learned previously?

Seattle released him shortly after he first got there in 2010, but resigned him in 2011 after he finished the 2010 season in Miami. (Miami had put him on IR and released him at the start of 2011). He lasted in Seattle until he got the 4 game drug suspension before the 2012 season. Seattle released him that training camp. They had had 4 or 5 suspensions in a years time, and it almost seemed like Barbre was their sacrificial lamb to show the league they were "cracking down" on the problem. He sat out that season (2012) until the Eagles signed him for 2013.

pbmax
07-09-2014, 08:20 AM
I don't watch college tape (or highlights) but I wonder if its coaching/technique that separates Bach from Newhouse/Babre or if its all mental?

Bach had such success out of the gate, I think he simply had to be more pro ready all around. But I wonder, for similar body types, does the attitude and approach trump the training?

bobblehead
07-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't watch college tape (or highlights) but I wonder if its coaching/technique that separates Bach from Newhouse/Babre or if its all mental?

Bach had such success out of the gate, I think he simply had to be more pro ready all around. But I wonder, for similar body types, does the attitude and approach trump the training?

Both matter of course. Now, after having a good solid offseason with Campen Bach should be much worse, don't worry.

Just Jeff
07-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Both matter of course. Now, after having a good solid offseason with Campen Bach should be much worse, don't worry.

http://download.lardlad.com/framegrabs/1F10/065.jpg
Its so funny cause it true

Fritz
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Cleveland is just going to implode when LeBron announces he's going back to Miami.

What a lousy football operation they have. How can you have any faith in that Insane Clown Posse?

red
07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Cleveland is just going to implode when LeBron announces he's going back to Miami.

What a lousy football operation they have. How can you have any faith in that Insane Clown Posse?

it sounds like those folks already think its a done deal that he's going home to cleveland

they have no one but themselves to blame when they get crushed

Guiness
07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
so is Lebron 'going home' getting something right or not?

I'm a little surprised at that, he took less $$$ than he would've gotten in Miami, didn't he? Or maybe the Heat didn't offer him a max contract. I'm sure I don't know how that squishy NBA cap works. Something about a Larry Bird mid level max contract exception?

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2014, 05:31 PM
He took less, and I'm rooting for him to win a title with Cleveland now. However, I think Cleveland also has the better future--especially if they can snag Kevin Love to go along with James and Irving.

pbmax
07-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes, I think only Miami could offer $22 mil. So he takes a step down there.

But I am sure there is some clause that lets him opt out after Year 2 or 3 and he can then re-up for the home team max.

Brandon494
07-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Glad to see him go home, the city of Cleveland deserves a title. Also the best choice for him with the talent and cap flexibility they have, if they can get Kevin Love they might be the next destiny in the NBA.

pbmax
07-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Bosh got 5 years and $118 million from the Heat and that is not a max contract from the home team. And that averages $23.6 mil per year.

He was offered a 4 year, $88 million deal from the Rockets, which was the max deal for a new team. $22 mil per year.

pbmax
07-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Melo resigned with the Knicks. Apparently, for a vet of a certain number of years, five-year, $129 million maximum contract is the max.

Patler
07-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Glad to see him go home, the city of Cleveland deserves a title. Also the best choice for him with the talent and cap flexibility they have, if they can get Kevin Love they might be the next destiny in the NBA.

Said some good things, too. Implied that when he left 4 years ago, he didn't realize how much Ohio was still in him. Having no party/celebration; just time to get to work.

Ah.....maturity!

woodbuck27
07-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Said some good things, too. Implied that when he left 4 years ago, he didn't realize how much Ohio was still in him. Having no party/celebration; just time to get to work.

Ah.....maturity!

Always.... there's no place like home.

pbmax
07-12-2014, 11:27 PM
People will do ANYTHING, believe anything, say anything, rationalize anything, wear a blindfold and believe cigarettes will cure lung cancer before they will discuss the actual financial benefits a players receives (or doesn't receive) from contract decisions.

It ALL has to be a morality play. In this case, its ALL about Le Bron's maturity. During the 2010 Decision, it was all a miscalculation due to youthful ignorance. And if it isn't LeBron, its about hometown discount versus greed. Unless you are Cam Neely.

Let's try this on for size:

1. Having failed to lure better Free Agents to Cleveland to play with a Championship-less LeBron, he made the completely logical decision in 2010 to leave in order to a) increase the chances of winning a Championship and b) increase the revenue he received from his endorsements that he would receive by winning championships. 4 straight appearances in the Finals, a couple of MVPs and 2 Championships. He has greatly increased his sponsorship money and more than made up for the salary he forswore to sign with Bosh and Wade in Miami.

Also, who would you trust with your very unknown future: Pat Riley or Dan "Comic Sans" Gilbert? Gilbert just got around to removing his prediction of winning a Championship before LeBron two days ago.

2. Now, being able to attract WHOEVER he wants to play with the best player of his generation and proven Champion LeBron, he returns to Cleveland, not needing another immediate Championship to increase his value. He doesn't get the max contract, but the Cleveland salary will be offset by his opportunities to ride the wave of pub from returning home. Its not the windfall he got from winning in Miami, but it will make up the difference.

Not being able to convince Miami to land deep in luxury tax penalties, neither he nor Riley could convince the best matches in Free Agency to sign for what Miami could offer while they kept Wade and Bosh. Cleveland will owe LeBron a little less, have wiped a lot of salary off the books and have better, younger, cheaper players with which they will be able to dangle greater sums to play with LeBron. And that doesn't even touch the chance they have to land Love from Minnesota.

The risk is that its still Gilbert. But they do have a better GM this time, even if the coach is untested.

Also, Wade was still the favorite in Miami and will be there forever if he wishes it. In four years, LeBron will get a max max hometown contract (if not before) from a team that will feel as strongly about him as Miami does about Wade.

If you prefer to think LeBron simply is more mature now you could read any columnist anywhere. OR if you are a Free Agent hating throwback, and you want to read how he actually is still screwing up, I give you Mark Kiszla in the Denver Post: http://deadspin.com/denver-post-columnist-writes-the-hottest-lebron-take-ev-1603516164

pbmax
07-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Update: He signed a two year deal. So he can get the hometown max in 2 years OR rectify a mistake.

Now THAT Decision carries with it some risk.