PDA

View Full Version : Official Richard Rodgers Thread

Brandon494
05-09-2014, 11:52 PM
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/15/63/72/3620514/5/628x471.jpg

Highlight video: http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2014-Draft-Prospect---Richard-Rodgers-TE-Calif/bcfb4092-30da-4b85-96d8-eef7f54f3317

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/richard-rodgers?id=2543569

Draft Analysis:

"He's a guy who has talent and made a lot of big plays for Cal, but his fluctuating weight has been a concern." -- Charles Davis

Overview

Father, Richard Sr., was involved in "The Play" in the 1982 Cal-Stanford game, and currently serves as the special-teams coordinator for the Carolina Panthers. Richard Jr. was a receiver-defensive end who also played basketball as a Massachusetts prep. Recruited as a tight end, committed to Cal and then-head coach Jeff Tedford. Saw very limited action in 2011 (13 games). Started 6-of-11 games played in '12 and caught 20 balls for 288 yards (14.4-yard average) and a touchdown. Did not play against Ohio State (ankle) and played the final three games of the season with torn ligaments in his right foot. Had surgery to repair a torn labrum and sat out '13 spring practice. In the fall, played 11 games and pulled in 39-608-1 (15.6). Injured his left thumb against Arizona, had surgery and did not play against USC.

Analysis

Strengths
Good balance and body control. Dependable short-to-intermediate receiver. Can snatch throws off his body and make contested grabs. Has potential as a move blocker. Showed dedication and discipline re-shaping his body as a junior. Coach's son.

Weaknesses
Tight hips. Average speed and suddenness -- dull in/out of breaks and struggles to separate vs. more explosive safeties. Unrefined route runner. Straightlinish after the catch. Started just 11 games in three seasons.

Bottom Line
Rodgers' career arc was affected by Cal's coaching turnover, as the former high school receiver was recruited as a tight end by Jeff Tedord's staff and bulked up to 275 pounds as a sophomore when he was out of shape, in part because of a torn labrum and torn foot ligament. As a junior, Rodgers shed 30 pounds and shifted to inside receiver for Sonny Dykes, enabling him to show his more natural "F" tight end skills. Is an unpolished product, but could be a better pro than college player.

Joemailman
05-10-2014, 12:02 AM
According to Ketchman, after playing as a 270 lb. TE last year, he played as a 245 lb WR this year. He then bulked up to 257 for the combine. The first thing the Packers need to do is decide what weight they want him at.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 12:03 AM
I`m confused as to why TT picked this guy. I get the part about picking a TE but just to pick a TE (need) !?!

Does TT burn out after Round Two?

Let's go to a new Draft War Room scene:

Have fun with the draft from Rd. 2 onwards. Simply get some darts and a name chart. Pin it on a wall.

Bring in a bunch of mentally challenged people to toss the darts. It`s like the Special Olympics of NFL Football.

Think of all the NFL analysts that will have to find work at places like Walmart, 7-11's and gas stations.

Have loads of treats on hand...a BIG barbeque to round out the whole process early Sat. evening.

Ohh what fun !

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 12:05 AM
According to Ketchman, after playing as a 270 lb. TE last year, he played as a 245 lb WR this year. He then bulked up to 257 for the combine. The first thing the Packers need to do is decide what weight they want him at.

and take away his ice cream bowl and spoon.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 01:17 AM
I will note that his measurables are similar to Finley when he came out. I don't think Finley tested well, and was a better athlete. Perhaps this is a similar situation. And outside of Quarless's 40 time, he's inline with those two guys.

Jermichael Finley = 6'4" 243, 4.82 40, 4.38 shuttle, 7.15 3 cone, 27 1/2" vertical, 9'9" broad jump, 20 bench
Richard Rodgers = 6'4" 257, 4.87 40, 4.47 shuttle, 7.23 3 cone, 31 1/2" vertical, 9'8" broad jump, 16 bench
Andrew Quarless = 6'4" 254, 4.68 40, 4.57 shuttle, 7.29 3 cone, 32" vertical, 9'4" broad jump, 23 bench

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 01:51 AM
So I went and researched Cal's team last season and saw they only won 1 game(Portland State) and they had a TRUE freshman QB starting for them.
Even with a freshman QB he caught more passes for more yards then Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Troy Niklas, and C.J. Fiedorowicz last season (they all had more TDs). If he can improve his blocking which I believe he will (Dad is a NFL ST Coach) I think this guy might turn into a real gem.

Rodgers - 39 recs 608 yards 15.6 avg 1 TD

ASJ - 36 recs 450 yards 12.5 avg 8 TDs

Niklas - 32 recs 498 yards 15.6 avg 5 TDs

C.J. - 30 recs 299 yards 10.0 avg 5 TDs

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 02:24 AM
Still not sold on this one. His measurables aren't great, and the tape reveals that he isn't a great athlete. However, I'll reserve judgment because of strange case of him going from 270 pounds to 245 pounds and now back up to 260 pounds to fit the scheme at Cal.

wpony
05-10-2014, 06:24 AM
A really nice JSO article about Rodgers and why the Packers picked him I trust the Packers but after reading the article I understand a lot better why they picked him and look at him differently even though I still see him a yr off just getting his weight where they want it and then getting him used to playing with it correctly.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-were-looking-for-total-package-at-tight-end-b99266431z1-258731421.html

Just Jeff
05-10-2014, 06:45 AM
I feel as bad about this pick as I felt good about HaHa

Iron Mike
05-10-2014, 07:26 AM
What? I thought that guy died back in 1979???

http://rodgersandhammersteincom.s3.amazonaws.com/templates/rnh2010/images/about_rnh.jpg

red
05-10-2014, 07:36 AM
seems to me like both these 3rd rounders are pretty big projects

spending picks today on those guys would be ok, but third rounders?

wist43
05-10-2014, 07:43 AM
He reminds me of Bostik.

Joemailman
05-10-2014, 08:00 AM
They're definitely doing some projecting with Rodgers. He may not have been the best current player available. Bit they probably felt he was the best talent available. I prefer him over a guy like Fiedorowicz based on upside.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Brandon...................do you love both 3rd round picks ?

pbmax
05-10-2014, 09:18 AM
He looks huge. Brandon's pic has to be him at 270. There is your red zone threat, 6' 4" and as wide as a truck.

Cheesehead Craig
05-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm a bit concerned about his weight fluctuations. Just seems to have a good chance to come into camp overweight.

Joemailman
05-10-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm a bit concerned about his weight fluctuations. Just seems to have a good chance to come into camp overweight.

I'm not worried about that. He played last year at 245 and then bulked up for the combine. That might have been a mistake, but I think it was probably intentional, not a result of overeating.The Packers have to decide whether they want him at his 2013 playing weight or his combine weight.

Carolina_Packer
05-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Different eras for sure, but consider another former NFL guy who looked like a hybrid and worked out pretty well...

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/pics/1964-Philadelphia/3_John_Mackey_football_card.jpg

He played basketball at Syracuse too. http://www.orangehoops.org/jmackey.htm

Richard Rodgers was also a hoops guy in high school. Way bigger than Mackey, but if he can run routes like Mackey and has anywhere near his hands, wow. That's a wish not a prediction.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Not a question about Rodgers per se, but comparing him to Mackay and other older players.

Are parents just feeding their kids HGH with the vitamins in the morning?

red
05-10-2014, 10:10 AM
He looks huge. Brandon's pic has to be him at 270. There is your red zone threat, 6' 4" and as wide as a truck.

2 career td's tells me he's the anti red zone threat

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Still not sold on this one. His measurables aren't great, and the tape reveals that he isn't a great athlete. However, I'll reserve judgment because of strange case of him going from 270 pounds to 245 pounds and now back up to 260 pounds to fit the scheme at Cal.

This isn't a rant. This post simply grew...large.

That 16 bench Vs the strength of Finley and Quarless tells me that this prospect needs to go Big time Gym. He needs to work his ass off strengthening and conditioning.

On our team he must block well for both the run and passing game.

MM and the coaching staff have to get him focused. He's a TE or a WR ?

MM and TT need to decide which and work hard molding him. I believe I read that his father is a football coach so that has to be addressed in terms of his weight swings and why?

This pick as TT later round picks usually do bothers me.

There is so much still on the board that TT might have chosen as an alternative to this TE project.

I'll toss down a few names that TT passed on:

We need a real solid looking forward back-up QB.

Didn't TT look at Mike Mayock's 67th ranked of his Top 100 prospects ....Alabama QB, AJ McCarron?

This prospect intrigues me as a project... QB Logan Thomas:

How about looking at QB prospect and get his size...Logan Thomas (6'6" 248) Fr. Virginia Tech ...Pick him and maybe look at him as a backup QB but also a conversion to TE?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/logan-thomas?id=2543767

QB - Logan Thomas... Grade - 5.41 Fr. NFL.com and the next highest ranked QB behind AJ McCarron with his loftier Grade of 5.7 NFL.com. AJ McCarron would have made a solid backup QB. His Alabama background and with teammate FS Hasean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix onboard ....a bonus.

Logan Thomas is BIG and mentally strong, reliable/dedicated, athletic ... and a certain leader.

Measurable: Look at his size...this is impressive !

6' - 6" and 248 lbs and 34.245 inch arms and Big 10 7/8 inch hands.

4.61 sec. 40 ; 35.5 inch vert.; 9 '-10 " broad,; 3-cone - 7.05; 20 yard shuttle = 4.18 Seconds

He started every game for his team for a third straight season. 227 - 402 - 2,907 -16 TD's - 13 Picks (56.5%) and rushing 162 - 344 - 4 TD'as (2.1 Avg) in 13 games. Not all that impressive stat wise, but draft him as a serious conversion candidate to Tight End and as a backup QB.

Logan Thomas was team captain. He finished his career with the Virginia Tech Hokies throwing for 9,103 yards and 53 touchdowns, both school records. Logan Thomas played within the system at Virginia Tech and did so successfully.

Other candidates of note that TT passed on:

At CB:

** Keith McGill - 6'3" (211 lbs) Fr. Utah ... Grade 5.4

** Bashaud Breeland - 5'11" (197 lb) Fr. Clemson ... Grade 5.4

** Antone Exum - 6'0" (213 lb) Fr. Virginia Tech ... Grade 5.4

** Marcus Roberson, 6'0" (191 lb) Fr. Florida ... Grade 5.3

** [B]Pierre Desir - 6'1" (198 lb) Fr. Lindenwood ... Grade 5.3

** Ross Cockrell - 6'0" (191 lb) Fr. Duke ... Grade 5.3

** Travis Carrie - 6'0" (206 lb) Fr. Ohio ... Grade 5.3

** Dontae Johnson - 6'2" (200 lb) Fr. N.C. State ... Grade 5.3

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:cb/dt-by-grade-input:3

Ted Thompson has to wait 22 picks today before selecting again in Rd. 4 and Pick NO. 121. how many of these CB's will remain on the board for that pick remains to be seen!? They were all there and more...when TT selected TE Richard Rodgers with Pick NO. 98. This morning I'm disappointed in this "no Pick" by Ted Thompson.

I( feel he had many better options with that valuable compensatory Pick or #98 Overall.

Ted Thompson chose a DT (Khyri Thornton that has potential) yet ignored the DE position and we need there at least in terms of depth:

DE Ed Stinson...6'3" (287 lbs) From Alabama .... Grade 5.5 and *** again a Ha Ha Clinton - Dix teammate.

*** Maybe TT doesn't subscribe to having teammates Fr. their University/College on the Packers Roster !? ***

** How about ILB Telvin Smith - 6'3" (218 lbs) Fr the National Champion Florida St. Seminoles ... Grade = 5.36

ILB Telvin Smith was the Florida State Seminoles' leading tackler in '13 when he started all 14 games at WLB and registered four pass breakups and three interceptions (two touchdowns) for the National Champs.

So that was yesterday...TODAY Sat 10 May, 2014 is a brand new day:

** At DT this fella deserves certain consideration today:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brent-urban?id=2543765

How about DT Brent Urban and yes he`s ..... a Canuck in Round 4-5.

The Offensive Line... and candidate as a draft Pick or UFA:

Another Canuck that I hope TT has on his radar as at least an UFA.... and may be better than Brent Urban and is very strong and smart/intelligent and dedicated is:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/laurent-duvernay-tardif?id=2543816

OT - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif ... Fr.McGill (Canada) No Conference Info

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/cards-gm-to-check-out-duvernay-tardif-personally-on-thursday/

Cards GM to check out Duvernay-Tardif personally on Thursday

John Kryk - March 24th, 2014

*** I discovered that he lifted for 34 Reps...and he's very fast for his size. *** He has a 4.0 GPA and is the #1 prospect for the CFL out of the College Crop in Canada this year. He's a Pre med student..smart. He needs to decide his future and is it football?

*** http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/01/road-draft-laurent-duvernay-tardif/

Road to the Draft: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Measurements:

6-foot-5, 321 pounds.... 40 time: 4.96 seconds..... Bench press: 34 reps of 225 pounds.

Others that TT might consider today:

RB:

** Andre Williams - 5'11" (230 lbs) Boston College .... 5.6 Grade ( Aa later round; UFA or Pick him in the 4th Rd today.

Devonta Freeman - 5'8" (206 lbs) Fr. Florida St. and a 5.4 Grade

Another WR that TT might consider and Pick:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/bruce-ellington?id=2543646

Get a load of this guy:

Here's the WOW Factor !!

WR - Bruce Ellington - South Carolina (SEC) 5' - 9 " and a big so what....and 197 lbs... Built like a small tank and what an incredible athlete !

Combine Results were just solid too top notch ... Grade ...5.38

He's fast and timed at 4.45 SEC; He's strong....15 REPS ; 39.5 INCH VERT. (Top Performer) ; 120.0 INCH Broad Jump

6.69 SEC 3 Cone and 3.95 SEC SHUTTLE (Top Performer) and 60 yard Shuttle = 11.12 SEC and again the Top Performer.

This is some athlete and I want him wearing the Green and Gold after today. He can be the return man we so desperastely need.

Why did TT miss on this fella and take a TE " Richard Rodgers" that won't cut the mustard as he shows no signs of doing so in his college background. Does TT believe in magic !?

If he does then pick a prospect that he can be used better on...I've listed several above that exceed TE Prospect Richard Rodgers.

Today I want Ted Thompson to get his SMART Cap on... please Ted try the fit.

My message to Ted Thompson:

" You have to be given a pass on TE Richard Rodgers (we're stuck with that) but PLEASE.... get it between the white lines today."

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I hope that TT can recover from his IMO and view Pick NO. 98.

TT left far too much on the board with a pick of TE Richard Rodgers that ignored BPA and I don't care if he was the BPA on TT's board as if that's the case we're in deep shit today.

Now he has to wait 20 more picks before he gets a shot to recover. I hope he gets there.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 10:16 AM

How many total touchdowns did Cal have this year? He might have 50% of the passing touchdowns.

But seriously, he was playing two positions. Once he settles in a TE body and weight, he will get stronger as he will need to occasionally block. And he will get better at red zone routes when that is the focus. He has a big body and hands. A lot of NFL players without top line measureables elsewhere have caught a LOT of TDs that way.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Future Packers O huddle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 10:32 AM
How many total touchdowns did Cal have this year? He might have 50% of the passing touchdowns.

But seriously, he was playing two positions. Once he settles in a TE body and weight, he will get stronger as he will need to occasionally block. And he will get better at red zone routes when that is the focus. He has a big body and hands. A lot of NFL players without top line measureables elsewhere have caught a LOT of TDs that way.

Hands :

TE Prospect: Richard Rodgers hands measure at ** 10 1/8 inches. . . . pfffeeuuhh !

Other measurements:

6'4" Height; 32 5/8" Arm Length; 257LBS. Weight

Didn't Ted Thompson and his Scouting Staff learn about this fella?

QB Logan Thomas who could be drafted and converted to a TE:

6'6" Height; 34 1/4" Arm Length; 248LBS. Weight and **

10 7/8" Hands

Grade 5.41; 40 yard dash - 4.61 SEC (Top Performer)

Verticle Leap: 35.5 INCH (Top Performer) ; Broad Jump = 118.0 INCH (Top Performer)

3 Cone = 7.05 SEC (Top Performer)

20 yard Shuttle = 4.18 SEC. (Top Performer)

Teamcheez1
05-10-2014, 11:00 AM
I think I can see why TT picked Rodgers when he did. If this is the best TE on the board (in TT's eyes) then it may not make any difference whether they get him at the end of the 3rd with a comp pick , or even the 4th or 5th round.

There are plenty of other players available that we can use today, so he didn't want to risk losing this TE by waiting until later in the draft. The guy has work to do, but his ceiling may be higher than we realize. Not justifying the pick, but I'm not as focused on the round players are picked in after the first 3 rounds. This was in reality an early 4th round pick.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I think I can see why TT picked Rodgers when he did. If this is the best TE on the board (in TT's eyes) then it may not make any difference whether they get him at the end of the 3rd with a comp pick , or even the 4th or 5th round.

There are plenty of other players available that we can use today, so he didn't want to risk losing this TE by waiting until later in the draft. The guy has work to do, but his ceiling may be higher than we realize. Not justifying the pick, but I'm not as focused on the round players are picked in after the first 3 rounds. This was in reality an early 4th round pick.

I hope your correct Teancheez1.

On the surface ....I don't care for that pick "at all". I see over the top way too many better options that TT had.

That was last night... it's a brand new day. :???:

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 11:39 AM
CBS.Com:

Packers Pick @ NO. 98... Richard Rodgers | TE, California

The Packers needed to get help at tight end, so they take one who can get down the field. He's a former receiver, which is the type of tight end they like.

Grade for Pick = B

RashanGary
05-10-2014, 11:55 AM
This is my favorite pick of the draft so far. I like his production, athletic ability and his drive/focus. He's like Jermichael Finley with a good attitude.

wist43
05-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm okay with the Rodgers pick... it was the Thorton pick that pissed me off.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Brandon...................do you love both 3rd round picks ?

I'm in love with our 1st and 2nd round picks but I like the potential of both our 3rd round picks. Like everyone else I didn't know much about knew but the more I read and watch the more I like them.

mraynrand
05-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Not a question about Rodgers per se, but comparing him to Mackay and other older players.

Are parents just feeding their kids HGH with the vitamins in the morning?

It's the bovine GF in the milk, I tells ya.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 12:51 PM
It's the bovine GF in the milk, I tells ya.

I knew that was a bad idea (or good idea for Pro Leagues).

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 01:06 PM

He's Mr. Rodgers.

http://cdn.graphicsfactory.com/clip-art/image_files/image/2/764612-Football009_ssbw.gif

The NFL !!!!!! Duh...dropped another one; not used to being a target

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 01:09 PM
This is my favorite pick of the draft so far. I like his production, athletic ability and his drive/focus. He's like Jermichael Finley with a good attitude.

What thread am I in ! :-)

checking.........................

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 01:21 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25734600/green-bay-packers-draft-cals-richard-rodgers

Green Bay Packers draft Cal's Richard Rodgers

By: Jeff Faraudo ...... jfaraudo@bayareanewsgroup.com

This:

** " After making 39 receptions for 608 yards last season '

The Math says: 15.59 Avg. >>> 16 YPC Avg. ...That's good.

" After leaving school a year early to enter the NFL, Rodgers was picked a couple rounds earlier than most draft experts anticipated."

That informs me that Ted Thompson "reached" for this TE prospect.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Hopefully that had a lot to do with a true freshman starting at QB.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey it may work out very well:

Aaron Rodgers can meet him at the airport with.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6IlmOW-L6Z0/Uh-GaxAYh9I/AAAAAAAAXrc/EJwjEy3bNKM/s1600/ForrestGump+chocolates.jpg

"a box of chocolates ".

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Then there's this:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/10/worcester-native-richard-rodgers-drafted-green-bay-packers/GoNdZ1qeYPKTrxoDHfVIhJ/story.html

" Green Bay hopes he establishes a connection with fellow Cal alumnus Aaron Rodgers (no relation) after the Packers selected the 6-foot-4-inch, 257-pound tight end 98th overall Friday night with a compensatory pick in the third round of the NFL Draft. " Fr. LINK above

" He caught 39 passes for 608 yards and a touchdown as a junior last season. "

Ohh I see.....sure... that one touchdown jumps right out at you. I can see why TT was impressed !

Then again maybe this is TT's thinking

*$%*##!^>>?% He didn't have Aaron passing to him.*$%*##!^>>?%

Uhh but Ted....He also didn't have the defenses he'll face in the NFL at California.

All the same..... A minor detail...to be ignored.

Summing it up:

I can see a two - three season project here for sure.

Aaron and Richard will just need one more "TT Rodgers pick", to become....

Rodgers, Rodgers and RODGERS !

TT loves a challenge as drafting is easy for him. TT just needs to find that third Rodgers ...screw BPA....

that's too easy.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Really? You replying to yourself now in quotes?

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Really? You replying to yourself now in quotes?

I'm having some fun....lighten up.....have a celery stalk.

I want Richard to be a smashing success.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm having some fun....lighten up.....have a celery stalk.

I want Richard to be a smashing success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOHbxBAEN8

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 02:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOHbxBAEN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGR8pN0t_fU

Call up my Mom...place me on report.

I've been a bad ..a very BAD Packer fan. Shame on me for thinking for myself. I've always had that terrible ugly side of me to struggle with.

How could I act so shameful!?

I'm not down with all of TT's picks...shame on me. I'm so bad...a bad bad Packer fan.

I'm so "F' ...ity .."F'...in .."F'... ed Up......"F"..."F" ..."F".

I'm also watching too much Southpark...look at me...I'm "F" ed....I can't stop cursing and posting bad language that doesn't always support the sheep at Packerrats.

What the "F" is wrong with me? I'm so "F" ing disappointed in my behaviour.

I need "F" ing help.

bobblehead
05-10-2014, 02:24 PM
I`m confused as to why TT picked this guy. I get the part about picking a TE but just to pick a TE (need) !?!

Have fun with the draft from Rd. 2 onwards. Simply get some darts and a name chart. Pin it on a wall.

Bring in a bunch of mentally challenged people to toss the darts. It`s like the Special Olympics of NFL Football.

Think of all the NFL analysts that will have to find work at places like Walmart, 7-11's and gas stations.

Have loads of treats on hand...a BIG barbeque to round out the whole process early Sat. evening.

Ohh what fun !

Just off the top of my head. Lang, Sitton, Jolly, Finly, JJones, Bahktiari, Stewart were all "beyond the 2nd round". And I didn't even list the UFA's like Williams and Shields.

Bossman641
05-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Most tt picks I don't like end up better than the ones that I do, so Rodgers is destined to be a pro bowl te

Cheesehead Craig
05-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Hand size isn't everything. Catching is far more about hand/eye coordination and concentration. Look at Antonio Gates, greatest TE ever. His hand size was 9 5/8", based on that he should have sucked according to the modern analysis. Don't get so caught up in measurables.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Just off the top of my head. Lang, Sitton, Jolly, Finly, JJones, Bahktiari, Stewart were all "beyond the 2nd round". And I didn't even list the UFA's like Williams and Shields.

Holy Cow !

My point is simply that TT could have made a better pick at NO. 98.

That he reached dramatically with that pick and I'm standing firm to that observation...which should be obvious to every member here.

Before his eigth pick ( last pick which garnered him a C GRADE for the CB he picked at Pick NO. 197....I graded him (based on my findings on the internet) as having an excellent draft or a B+ average.

Ted Thompson:

WOW !!!... for his outstanding performance overall in this drzft.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 04:58 PM

All the same and after reading this again...bobblehead... your point is what exactly?

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Most tt picks I don't like end up better than the ones that I do, so Rodgers is destined to be a pro bowl te

Fritz might post something just like this.

I look at a draft from a fans standpoint and I do my homework.

TT is taking a prospect rookie class and trying I assume to get a body of work done in his picks that consists of the best quality talent and football skills and toughness he can possible draft.

This his board and that move based on his board.... as some excuse for a poor pick.

Is a load of horseshit to me...as the internet has it all "mostly" available for the NFL fan.

Any fan that really does his homework has a very solid knowledge of the talent available in the draft class and his/her team's needs. That fan knows when a GM goes BPA or elsewhere.

Back to TT"s board and on that basis as an excuse I claim ... foul.

Bossman641
05-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Fritz might post something just like this.

I look at a draft from a fans standpoint and I do my homework.

TT is taking a prospect rookie class and trying I assume to get a body of work done in his picks that consists of the best quality talent and football skills and toughness he can possible draft.

This his board and that move based on his board.... as some excuse for a poor pick.

Is a load of horseshit to me...as the internet has it all "mostly" available for the NFL fan.

Any fan that really does his homework has a very solid knowledge of the talent available in the draft class and his/her team's needs. That fan knows when a GM goes BPA or elsewhere.

Back to TT"s board and on that basis as an excuse I claim ... foul.

WB I consider you to be a knowledgeable poster and I think you do your draft homework, but you don't even have 1/100 of the material TT and his scouts have. They have access to game tape, personal interviews, and talks with the coaches. Your (and others) opinions are based on highlight tapes and rankings put out by talking heads.

I have no clue how Rodgers will turn out but the picks most posters love (Hodge, Brohm, Franklin) turn out worse then the ones posters hate (Jennings, Jordy, Collins).

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Only 4 TEs got drafted after Rodgers and they all had 7th round grades....

bobblehead
05-10-2014, 08:14 PM
All the same and after reading this again...bobblehead... your point is what exactly?

I thought my point was pretty clear and concise...sort of like most of your posts, I just did it in less than 47 sentences.

Brandon494
05-15-2014, 07:27 AM
I know it doesn't mean much but when you watch him in the catching drills during the combine he catches the ball better then all the top TEs minus Ebron.

mraynrand
05-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Do me a favor and stop with the mentally challenged people comparisons, OK?

smuggler
05-15-2014, 12:21 PM
The only real negative Ebron has is that he's not the most natural catcher and has marginal hands. Rodgers, I would hope, is better than Ebron in this regard. It's pretty clear in many other areas, Ebron is superior.

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 05:45 PM
WB I consider you to be a knowledgeable poster and I think you do your draft homework, but you don't even have 1/100 of the material TT and his scouts have. They have access to game tape, personal interviews, and talks with the coaches. Your (and others) opinions are based on highlight tapes and rankings put out by talking heads.

I have no clue how Rodgers will turn out but the picks most posters love (Hodge, Brohm, Franklin) turn out worse then the ones posters hate (Jennings, Jordy, Collins).

I don't hate the pick I simply believe that TT reached for him.

The move to a TE was just about where I had thought TT would move to get one of the elite choices. This draft wasn't deep at TE and I'm seeing that TT took what he saw available before the legit choices dried up.

I saw better choices for that pick as a BPA option.

I hope that Richard Rodgers does very well. I don't want the results of being disastrously correct here. I want all of TT's picks to contribute towords us and the next Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 11:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/packers-te-rodgers-not-worried-about-walking-in-shoes-of-other-rodgers-from-cal-052214

Packers TE Rodgers not worried about walking in shoes of other Rodgers from Cal

BY: Paul Imig FOX Sports Wisconsin ... MAY 22, 2014 10:16a ET

" ..."Another Rodgers from Cal in Green Bay; sweet," quarterback Aaron Rodgers posted for his 1.18 million followers to see that night."... "

" It was impossible to miss the obvious connection. And once the more famous Rodgers made note of it publicly, it was bound to reach the new Rodgers on the block sooner than later." ... Fr. LINK above

Fritz
05-24-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't hate the pick I simply believe that TT reached for him.

The move to a TE was just about where I had thought TT would move to get one of the elite choices. This draft wasn't deep at TE and I'm seeing that TT took what he saw available before the legit choices dried up.

I saw better choices for that pick as a BPA option.

I hope that Richard Rodgers does very well. I don't want the results of being disastrously correct here. I want all of TT's picks to contribute towords us and the next Super Bowl.

Woody, Ted Thompson is comfortable with his approach; of all the NFL GM's, he's up there with Belichek as a GM who doesn't pay much attention to what other people think.

At least that's my premise.

If you accept that premise, then you'd have to agree that if Ted has a third-round grade on Rodgers, and the guy is available in the third round and Ted thinks that Rodgers is the best player on the board, he's going to take him, and not worry about whether he could've gotten the guy in the fourth.

So for Thompson, it's not a "reach."

In the same way, BJ-the-punter , whom Mike Sherman traded up to get, was seen as a reach, but for Sherman, he was The Man.

Greg Jennings seemed like a reach, especially given that "everyone" had Chad Jackson ranked way ahead of Jennings - and Jennings was available.

So hindsight will tell us if the guy works out or not. But for Ted, it warn't no reach. It was the player he thought fit best with the Packers, who was the best player on the board in a position area in which they could afford to take a guy, so he took the guy.

woodbuck27
05-24-2014, 09:50 AM
I thought my point was pretty clear and concise...sort of like most of your posts, I just did it in less than 47 sentences.

Awesome. :-)

woodbuck27
05-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Woody, Ted Thompson is comfortable with his approach; of all the NFL GM's, he's up there with Belichek as a GM who doesn't pay much attention to what other people think.

At least that's my premise.

If you accept that premise, then you'd have to agree that if Ted has a third-round grade on Rodgers, and the guy is available in the third round and Ted thinks that Rodgers is the best player on the board, he's going to take him, and not worry about whether he could've gotten the guy in the fourth.

So for Thompson, it's not a "reach."

In the same way, BJ-the-punter , whom Mike Sherman traded up to get, was seen as a reach, but for Sherman, he was The Man.

Greg Jennings seemed like a reach, especially given that "everyone" had Chad Jackson ranked way ahead of Jennings - and Jennings was available.

So hindsight will tell us if the guy works out or not. But for Ted, it warn't no reach. It was the player he thought fit best with the Packers, who was the best player on the board in a position area in which they could afford to take a guy, so he took the guy.

Fritz:

Based on the :

TT has "his Draft Board" he can't be critiqued in terms of any of his moves.

That takes ... "ALL of US" ... TO "JUST ONE PLACE".

In Ted Thompson we TRUST.

Yes...yes...yes...YES!...YES!!...YES !!!

What's wrong with that?

Why is Packerrats a forum, rather than some form of a Green Bay Packers fan ....

Rah ! Rah !! Rah !!! Internet Club !?

Fritz
05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Fritz:

Based on the :

TT has "his Draft Board" he can't be critiqued in terms of any of his moves.

That takes ... "ALL of US" ... TO "JUST ONE PLACE".

In Ted Thompson we TRUST.

Yes...yes...yes...YES!...YES!!...YES !!!

What's wrong with that?

Why is Packerrats a forum, rather than some form of a Green Bay Packers fan ....

Rah ! Rah !! Rah !!! Internet Club !?

Woody, don't set up a straw man argument. Criticize all you want.

But your claim that a fan with access to the Internet has as much knowledge available to him or her as an NFL GM is ludicrous.

Of course Thompson makes draft mistakes. Of course. But I would rather have him running this franchise than anyone else.

mraynrand
05-24-2014, 08:57 PM
But your claim that a fan with access to the Internet has as much knowledge available to him or her as an NFL GM is ludicrous.

on KNR 850 in Cleveland, the hosts clang bells and start razzing any fan who calls in saying "I was watching tape" of so and so college prospect.

Greg Brinda: "What tape??"

Jerod Cherry: "you are a scout for which NFL team?"

Fan: "You tube, guys."

Jerod Cherry: *Chortle, chortle*

Just Jeff
05-25-2014, 08:03 AM
on KNR 850 in Cleveland, the hosts clang bells and start razzing any fan who calls in saying "I was watching tape" of so and so college prospect.

Greg Brinda: "What tape??"

Jerod Cherry: "you are a scout for which NFL team?"

Fan: "You tube, guys."

Jerod Cherry: *Chortle, chortle*

So you're saying that in cities other than Green Bay, fans are passionate and voice their opinions?

mraynrand
05-25-2014, 08:06 AM
So you're saying that in cities other than Green Bay, fans are passionate and voice their opinions?

No, I'm saying that in Cleveland the sports talk guys make fun of fans who call in saying they "Watched the tape" when they watched highlights on youtube.

Just Jeff
05-25-2014, 08:09 AM
No, I'm saying that in Cleveland the sports talk guys make fun of fans who call in saying they "Watched the tape" when they watched highlights on youtube.

So you're saying that the sports talk guys in Cleveland are like some of the posters here who make fun of other posters who are passionate and voice their opinions based on highlight that they've watched on youtube?

woodbuck27
05-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Woody, don't set up a straw man argument. Criticize all you want.

Of course Thompson makes draft mistakes. Of course. But I would rather have him running this franchise than anyone else.

It's not complicated RE: Ted Thompson's "All Time Status" as a Green Bay Packer General Manager.

Ted Thompson must do all he can to ensure that Mike McCarthy and "Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers" get to another Super Bowl. Ted Thompson must manage the Packers to a second NFC Conference Championship.

Anything short of that leaves his legacy as a Packer GM in "the what if" category. What if... Ted Thompson had thought differently; had more foresight; was more assertive/aggressive in terms of his duties.

Winners "ONLY" must need to win.

Winning is everything. Losing sucks.

If that becomes a reality and the Green Bay Packers manage another NFL Championship or Super Bowl win...that's gravy. That feat would place him in elite Green Bay Packer company. That feat would seal Ted Thompson's as "a Green Bay Packer "Great General Manager". To get there TT has to remain on point..... focused on what I deem is better this off season in terms of his strategy.

Looking back upon his efforts since the 2010-11 Super Bowl XLV win over the Pittsburgh Steelers (31-25). It hasn't been more than failure in the playoffs. That's "the facts" Fritz and that doesn't spell greatness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLV

Ted Thompson is a solid NFL GM?

A GREAT NFL GM? NO !

Until Ted Thompson delivers all that's necessary for the Green Bay Packers to get to another Super Bowl, he's not getting it done. I believe that he needs to focus on ensuring that he's "in control" of all aspects of what's necessary to win Vs "the BEST" NFL teams in the Playoffs. That means finding the necessary talent, enduring strength and all important depth to handle the inevitable impending adversity.

If Ted Thompson as rumored; is soon done as the Packer GM. He needs to pull out all the stops in the next year or two.

** TT needs to have three consecutive terrific off seasons.

** TT has an extremely solid NO. 1 QB in Aaron Rodgers who needs a much stronger defensive effort to take the heat off his game.

** TT needs to deliver on this:

a) Aaron Rodgers needs more weapons on offense to improve the Packers "Red Zone" efficiency.

b) Aaron Rodgers needs a strong Offensive line and a Center that he feels comfortable with. This constant changing at the center position and weakness at the tackle position sucks. Aaron Rodgers needs an OL that will allow him to operate efficiently in the pocket.

c) The Green Bay Packers need to improve dramatically across the board on ST's. The kick return game sucks. The Packers need to get it together on ST's.

Ted Thompson must ensure that Mike McCarthy and his entire coaching staff are molding all that talent into the correct finished product. No one on Mike McCarthy's coaching staff should ever feel too comfortable. Mike McCarthy has to be held accountable. This "family thing", everything is just hunky dory in Green Bay is worn out BS.

The Green Bay Packers entire coaching staff needs to study "the win at all cost coach"; the "it wasn't good enough" man that the Miami Dolphins Don Shula was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shula

It has to be right here and just that for Ted Thompson to ever be considered as a Green Bay Packer GREAT.

Win the NFCN...Winning the NFC Conference Championship and punching a ticket to the Super Bowl again.

All we've seen since Super Bowl XLV is a small firecracker in the playoffs. We've seen nothing but sizzle.

This season Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy must get it clear in terms of the Packers poor defensive results. Is that a matter of coaching (scheme) and/or talent? I'm assuming now that Ted Thompson finally realizes that his draft and development strategy wasn't going to get it done. That works in terms of easier CAP management; but winning deep into the playoffs means a certain different focus in terms of a three / four year plan.

Packer fans that can't see any fault in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy want to fall back on "the injury factor" as the chief reason why the team hasn't produced wins deep into the playoffs the past three seasons; but that doesn't wash. In the NFL and in football injuries are inevitable. It's the main task of the Packer GM to ensure depth on the team in terms of real talent, proper attitude and strength /determination of the football players supplied to compose the Green Bay Packer Roster.

Ted Thompson has until this past draft generally diluted his Rookie class by trading down and stock piling what? Quality Talent? He's been watering his wine. By generally ignoring the experienced talent available in Free Agency he's been ignoring the quality of his wine cellar.

Will a more sensible approach as we're seeing this "off season" be enough or too little too late?

Time will inform Packer Nation of the TRUTH...and Ted Thompson and GREAT.

GO Ted Thompson...GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
05-25-2014, 08:16 AM
So you're saying that the sports talk guys in Cleveland are like some of the posters here who make fun of other posters who are passionate and voice their opinions based on highlight that they've watched on youtube?

It seems so, at least in some cases. Mockery sells bottles of five hour energy. Surprised Madtown hasn't turned Packrrats into a cash cow.

Just Jeff
05-25-2014, 08:21 AM
It seems so, at least in some cases. Mockery sells bottles of five hour energy. Surprised Madtown hasn't turned Packrrats into a cash cow.

Not meaning to give you shit. I just think that its fantastic to have participation in everything. If some guy watches the tape of some kid at Idaho State, wearing #51 and thinks he's Dick Butkus, and spouts off all kinds of incorrect shit about him in a forum, great. It takes all kinds of people, but there's really only one kind of passion. All in.

woodbuck27
05-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Not meaning to give you shit. I just think that its fantastic to have participation in everything. If some guy watches the tape of some kid at Idaho State, wearing #51 and thinks he's Dick Butkus, and spouts off all kinds of incorrect shit about him in a forum, great. It takes all kinds of people, but there's really only one kind of passion. All in.

Yes.

You can be a sorta NFL/Team fan or a more dedicated contributing member of a NFL team fan site like Packerrats and without FEAR express yourself....learn and grow as a NFL team and NFL fan.

I've been along for the ride with the core of this bunch of Packer fans and a Minnesota Viking fan (Rastak) since 2004.

Wow a decade of posting Green Bay Packers and NFL etc.

Time sure time flys by when your having fun. :???:

mraynrand
05-25-2014, 01:11 PM

We watch youtube and games on TV. It's fun to see what we can glean out of it - or we wouldn't be here. Guys on the radio are having fun at the expense of blowhards who say they have been "Watching tape." Thing is that some guys watching youtube videos know more about the game than Jeron Cherry.....

Zool
05-25-2014, 11:00 PM

Being a passionate fan is a far cry from arguing your opinions as fact.

Fritz
05-26-2014, 07:59 AM

I'm of the opinion though that there's a fine line between "passion" and "self-righteous entitlement," and it's the latter group that really, really gets my goat in sports today. All this shit about "if my team doesn't win it all, the season was a complete waste," and "Such-and-such a GM totally blew that pick, he should be fired, I watched the Youtube video and I know for sure that....blah blah blah."

To take it out of a Packer context (to give it a little more perspective), after Jim Leyland stepped down as manager of the Detroit Tigers, there was all kinds of sports talk radio and social media criticism of Jim Leyland as a failure - because he didn't win a World Series in his seven years in Detroit.

Two World Series appearances in seven years, I think three Division titles, I believe four or five playoff appearances - but somehow the guy was just a terrible, lousy, manager. Anyone coulda done what he did.

I can't tell you how many sports talk phone calls ran along those lines.

But for me, that's not passion. That's some bizarre, entitled, angry, self-righteous idiot who talks about excelling every day and winning all the time or it's a failure.

I want to say to these kinds of fans: Okay, let's look at your life. Have you been the finalist for Employee of the Year twice in the last seven years in your organization? Have you bested your fellow managers, CEO's, assembly-line workers - whatever it is you do - over and over again, yet feel you suck at your job and are a complete failure?

No fan has some "right" to see his team win a World Series or a Super Bowl. Yet these fans seem to feel aggrieved and ripped off if their team doesn't win it all.

I am okay with what you wrote, except that if the fan "spouts off all kinds of incorrect shit about him in a forum, great," because many sports fans aren't even interested in what the "correct shit" actually is.

That's not the same as passion, to me.

pbmax
06-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Bandwagon line forms to the left. From Demovsky (via Woodbuck (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26890-In-Play-at-the-OTAs-(2014)&p=788980&viewfull=1#post788980)) at ESPN's Packer Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers):

Rodgers impresses: No, not Aaron Rodgers, although the quarterback looks likes his old self. Tight end Richard Rodgers made more plays than perhaps any other rookie during the one hour and 40-minute practice. During one team period, he hauled in a pass from backup quarterback Scott Tolzien that was either lightly tipped or was thrown behind him. Either way, Rodgers reached back to bring in the ball while still keeping his momentum going down the field. Said coach Mike McCarthy of the rookie Rodgers: "Big-time catch today. I just think he's a natural in space. I'm excited to see him when we get into the in-line work into training camp, but as far as all of the movement, playing in space, picking up the scheme, I think Richard's off to a very good start."

A Rodgers also took the opportunity to knock down draft experts a peg or two. The chip on his shoulder is in mid-season form.

woodbuck27
06-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Bandwagon line forms to the left. From Demovsky (via Woodbuck (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26890-In-Play-at-the-OTAs-(2014)&p=788980&viewfull=1#post788980)) at ESPN's Packer Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers):

A Rodgers also took the opportunity to knock down draft experts a peg or two. The chip on his shoulder is in mid-season form.

Good for Richard Rodgers.

The good news. His performance will push all the others vying for a TE roster spot.

Brandon494
06-10-2014, 09:32 PM

I told you guys the more I researched him the more I liked him. Still would like to see him doing it in pads but good to see he's off to a good start, I thought he had the best hands of any TE in this years draft.

Joemailman
06-10-2014, 10:52 PM
I told you guys the more I researched him the more I liked him. Still would like to see him doing it in pads but good to see he's off to a good start, I thought he had the best hands of any TE in this years draft.

The thing I noticed is his ability to catch the ball in stride and immediately be in a position to head upfield. A lot of Tight Ends can't do that.

Bretsky
06-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Good to see the Homer Juice on tap

Joemailman
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Good to see the Homer Juice on tap

It's that time of year! :glug:

Fritz
06-11-2014, 06:06 AM
It's that time of year! :glug:

Yes it is. I like that Rodgers to Rodgers could be a long term thing in GB. I wonder how this kid's blocking is...

Joemailman
06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Kool-aid video about Richard Rodgers:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-TE-Richard-Rodgers-making-good-progress/f3af5644-e502-4ce4-9f20-88560f5da762

denverYooper
06-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Yes it is. I like that Rodgers to Rodgers could be a long term thing in GB. I wonder how this kid's blocking is...

Top notch :glug:

Joemailman
06-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Rodgers says he plans to play with a weight in the 260's. He weighed 257 at the Combine. So, unlike Finley, it appears he actually wants to be an all around Tight End, not just a receiver.

mraynrand
06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
This kid looks like a HOFer to me. Catches everything and runs well after the catch. Unstoppable!

ThunderDan
06-12-2014, 10:34 AM
This kid looks like a HOFer to me. Catches everything and runs well after the catch. Unstoppable!

Add in Lyerla as a HOFer and we are getting two HOF TEs from the same draft/unsigned FA class.

denverYooper
06-12-2014, 10:36 AM

What more would you expect from Duck Dodgers!?

http://static.freepik.com/free-photo/duck-dodgers-1_45057.jpg

Pugger
06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
I wonder if R. Rodgers will be yet another TT draft pick panned by observers until we actually see them play?

woodbuck27
06-19-2014, 08:23 AM
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Video-Ask-Vic-Richard-Rodgers-is-my-pick/4f35e94c-938d-41af-8cf1-567f87a1fbd4

Video Ask Vic: Richard Rodgers is my pick

In this 'Video Ask Vic,' packers.com editor Vic Ketchman runs through the Packers' draft class of 2014 and identifies his rookie to keep an eye on.