PDA

View Full Version : FOR THE BOLD ONLY................YOUR ROUND 3

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Round three has passed, and the reactions to TT's picks have mixed results in here. Many of us do reading and rely on other report, our own game watching, and mock drafts to rate players.

When a round three like yesterday occurs, there people emerge with Viewpoints

TYPE 1- The Cheerleaders......who embrace TT's picks and research reasons why Ted knows best. In the end, they end up probably being right more than not

TYPE 2- The critical thinking GM wannabe's. I am undoubtedly in this category. They look at all of their ratings, and because what they have is so different than what TT had..initial reaction might be WTF, and then they do more reading on each individual pick and either become a cheerleader or continue to question why we overdrafted these guys or didn't pick others

TYPE 3- The detractors- In general, the odds are they might be thinking TT was going to muck up the pick anyways so when he makes the picks outside of the norm their bias goes negative very gast.

THIS IS THE TYPE OF THREAD THAT WILL PROBABLY BURN ME YEARS DOWN THE ROAD; I HOPE IT DOES

It is for the bold only.

The Content would be the answers to this scenario.....you are the GM.....Who are your two picks

IF you FULLY support TT......just go ahead and note I would have selected the exact same players as Ted did and I've very happy with it

If you are in Type 2 or Type 3, post the players you would have drafted with notes if you choose.....and then if you care to give your game plan for the next few picks

AGAIN............this is the type of thread that can get bumped years down the line. So if you like playing the middle.....arguing partially one way or the other......the thread is not for you

On the other hand, if that is you.....and you don't share a view....please don't be the one to come back and bump this thread............

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I'll go first

I am Type 2;

CB Pierre Desire would have been my first pick in round three; I've pimped him before

DT Dequan Jones would have been my second 3rd round pick. I will add descriptions on each later

I'd go going into rounds 4 and 5 going BPA only. If a TE fell fine....if not I would not hesitate to go with another safety or WR round 4 since that is where the draft is deepest.

Maxie the Taxi
05-10-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm Type 1. Mostly I make choices based on a handful of guys I've seen play, and a ton of scouting reports from so-called experts (hearsay)...I'm a fan first and an amateur. TT's the Pro.

Not only did I not have TT's 2nd and 3rd round picks on my board. I never heard of them or certainly never considered them 2nd and 3rd rounders.

I also become enamored with guys like Telvin Smith and Blake Annen who are physical freaks of nature but who have a 99% chance of being busts in the NFL!

Trust Ted.

RashanGary
05-10-2014, 09:09 AM
He'll yeah, bretsky. Do your thing, man. As long as you know so much more work goes into it and tt is qualified, throw your opinions out there. I've been wrong and am still wrong all of the time, but if I wasn't willing to fail and look stupid, I'd never be able to learn where and why I'm wrong and find out how to be better. I respect that you throw your opinions out there. I do think you should know your limitations are more limited than teds tho. Ted has limitations too, but not nearly as many as we do.

red
05-10-2014, 09:14 AM
daquan jones with the first pick. he's a bigger body (320-345) and could possibly replace raji and pickett as the big guy in the middle

Thornton to me seems like just another of the many guys we already have on the roster around 300 pounds that have zero pass rush ability. we've already got quite a few of those guys. but he does fit the TT mold of having a high motor and being a team leader

with the comp pick, i pick the great unknown from up north Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. its a freebie pick that could turn into a stud. he has all the tools and size to be a beast in a couple years. plus sherrod is a giant question mark, and bulaga is always injured. we could use even more depth at those tackle spots IMO

instead we got a TE who has done almost nothing in his college career and has bounced around in weight from245 to 285, yet even at that size can't block. with TE's you'd like them to be redzone targets. this kid has 2 td's for his whole career

but like i said in the draft thread, because i don't like these picks, and think they are huge reaches, they will probably both be pro bowlers in 2 or 3 years

sharpe1027
05-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Category 1.5: like to analyze and question picks but don't spend enough time to come up with their own picks.

Haha is the no brainer. Like any pick he might end up being a bust, but everything we know now says he is at least an upgrade. Can't ask for much more.

Adams matches TT's blueprint for past WR success. On the field success, catches the ball cleanly, has good body control making the catch, not a combine guy. I think he will turn up good and be a good red zone target.

Thornton is not a popular pick. Not what the media expected. Still, he is a big boy. DT may be the most difficult position to predict NFL success.

Rodgers looks like a project. Not expecting much for a while, if ever.

Joemailman
I'm sort of the type 2 who does some analysis and becomes a cheerleader.

When the Thornton pick was made, I questioned whether he's really any different than Worthy or Boyd. When I was some tape though, I felt he was different, and was probably underrated by those calling him a 5th or 6th round pick.

As for the Rodgers pick, I knew nothing about him. After watching some tape though, I feel he probably has more upside than a lot of the TE's left, since Seferian-Jenkins and Amaro had been picked. I'm okay with the pick, but it could be a reach.

A valid argument can be made that TT reached and could have gotten these guys later. I can remember back in 2007 though where Mel Kiper said TT reached on James Jones and could have gotten him a round later. Kiper may have been right, but I'm glad TT didn't take a chance because Jones proved to be well worth a 3rd round pick. I'm okay with TT going for a guy he really likes rather than waiting too long.

Carolina_Packer
I am with Maxie. I don't know anything about prospecting or grading. In the end, it's an educated guess, even by the scouts and gm's, but it's more informed than the fans. I admire the hard work of the area scout who grinds at it to scout prospects. They know what the team's objectives are, and they know what a good fit for the team looks like. I'm just a guy who loves to see the selection process and team building, but won't pretend I know any better than the experts. When I catch myself questioning, like the Thornton pick last night, I just think...

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/mugs-r7bbfd3a5b7f74d7eb22d000b017967bd_x7jgr_8byvr_500. png?t_posterimage_iid=cc51c714-1d31-4715-b121-681435d03608&bg=0xE6E7E2

RashanGary
05-10-2014, 09:29 AM
My least favorite pick of all time was Clay Matthews because he barely played. Now I know that Ted can watch one year of lights out tape, do his research and make great calls based on one year of college production. When ted makes a pick, I definitely look back to see why I might have been wrong. If I don't know my role, I'm going to spend a lot of energy being surprised and disappointed when things keep being different than I expected them to be.

RashanGary
05-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm actually a big fan of the TE pick in hindsight. I like him better than Finley. Equally good athlete, excellent ball skills, loves football, coachable, steady personality, room to grow and block. Has the desire to block and be complete. Coaches son, focuses on being a team guy, doing all the little things.

Talent, skill, personality, attitude..... Guy looks like a player. Unlike quarless, this guy has natural ball skills. Unlike Finley, he's coachable and steady. I have a feeling he's going to be a star for us. Not a 100 catch per year star, we just don't play that way, but a do it all and round out our offense by being a complete player, star. In short, I think this is the best TE prospect we've ever drafted.

RashanGary
05-10-2014, 09:38 AM
He'll take a year though. TE is the most complex position in our offense. They do soooo much. Now we watch and listen to see how he's fitting in. Time will tell.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Type 2

Round 1 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. I had him and Jimmie Ward rated about evenly, so I have no problem with the pick. I might have taken Ward though.

Round 2 - Davante Adams. I called this one.

Round 3 - Khyri Thornton. I would have taken WR Donte Moncrief. Too much value to pass up on.

Round 3 - Richard Rodgers. I would have taken CB Pierre Desir. I'd wait on one of the TEs until at least round 4 (Arthur Lynch, Marcel Jensen, Jake Murphy, Richard Rodgers, or Blake Annen--whichever fell to me)

pbmax
05-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Type 1 and 3. Figure Thompson knows far more than me, so why waste time worrying about what could have been. I do know for a fact that Mel Kiper has no earthly idea whether or not James Jones would be available later. He is just talking, not actually thinking.

Type 3 because sometimes these picks make no sense for the current scheme, so you have no idea whether they must adjust their techniques and skills or if it heralds a different direction on one side of the ball. This is the part that drives me mad, especially so on defense since the 2011 draft.

red
05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
oh, i would have also taken skov. he seems like he'd bring a mean nastiness to the defense that we currently lack

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 11:02 AM
He'll yeah, bretsky. Do your thing, man. As long as you know so much more work goes into it and tt is qualified, throw your opinions out there. I've been wrong and am still wrong all of the time, but if I wasn't willing to fail and look stupid, I'd never be able to learn where and why I'm wrong and find out how to be better. I respect that you throw your opinions out there. I do think you should know your limitations are more limited than teds tho. Ted has limitations too, but not nearly as many as we do.

Thanks......You have to have thick skin for a thread like this but I don't mind at all throwing out my view and then having others say you were wrong years later. Hell it's happened plenty of times in the past.
I just hope those that point it all out had expressed their views as well as either completing agreeing with TT's picks or noting who they should have grabbed.

HARVEY.....I didn't even think about the prospect of taking Moncrief as well.....although I'd take him over the TE for sure. Completely agree on the value you get there. If we have an extra WR that excels, it gives us a similar thing to a pass receiving TE. We need weapons on offense, whether it be at WR or TE.

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm simply the TYPE that says TT's Pick at NO. 98 sucked wind.

TT had way too many better options. That's over the top obvious to me.

I want Ted Thompson to kill it.. do just great .... and with Pick NO. 98 I feel he has work to do on Sat. 10 may, 2014 (today) to recover.

OK I'll take it on squarely and admit I'm a Type 2 Green Bay Packer fan.

red
05-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks......You have to have thick skin for a thread like this but I don't mind at all throwing out my view and then having others say you were wrong years later. Hell it's happened plenty of times in the past.
I just hope those that point it all out had expressed their views as well as either completing agreeing with TT's picks or noting who they should have grabbed.

HARVEY.....I didn't even think about the prospect of taking Moncrief as well.....although I'd take him over the TE for sure. Completely agree on the value you get there. If we have an extra WR that excels, it gives us a similar thing to a pass receiving TE. We need weapons on offense, whether it be at WR or TE.

i'm thinking we're gonna end up taking another WR today, but its gonna be one with mad return skills

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 11:15 AM
PIERE DESIRE--CB SMALL SCHOOL......4.52 40...dominated at small school level...compared to Dominque Rodgers Cromartie....excelled at Senior Bowl

Desir will be a second- to fourth-round option. The Packers have tracked him for months, attending the cornerback's Lindenwood practices and speaking to him at the Senior Bowl and NFL scouting combine. Sure, he played schools called Lincoln University of Missouri and Emporia State University, but Desir was a playmaker. And he continued to shine.

Desir is one such mystery prospect. He played in a conference you never heard of. But at Washburn (Kan.) University and Lindenwood, Desir racked up 25 interceptions. At 6-1, 198 pounds — with 33-inch arms and 9½-inch hands — teams might see flickers of a Sherman Lite in Desir.

His 133-inch broad jump was second-best among all participants at the NFL scouting combine in February. During Senior Bowl practices, he excelled in one-on-ones.As Lindenwood defensive coordinator Deion Melvin says, cornerbacks must bend their knees, cut on a dime, turn and run.

If a 6-foot-1 player can do this, you investigate. Not many can cover on an island."It's like them trying to find LeBron James," Melvin said. "That's what they're looking for — the 6-10 point guard. How many guys do you see like that in an NBA basketball game? That's what that corner is. Those are the LeBron Jameses of the NFL right now. If you can find a big, athletic corner, then you're finding something that most people don't have.

"Those guys can match up with the big receivers. They can go one-on-one with a big receiver because they're strong enough and tall enough. You can cut off one-half of the field with those guys."
Desir played both press and zone in college. To get noticed, he knew he needed to dominate.

DEQUAN JONES--DT --PENN STATE--Our Plugger..........

Big, strong-bodied interior force who shed weight and improved his stamina as a senior, displaying NFL-caliber physicality in the trenches. Has been inconsistent in the past, but if the light has come on, Jones' combination of size, power and movement enables him to play as a 4-3 one-technique or 3-4 five-technique.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm actually a big fan of the TE pick in hindsight. I like him better than Finley. Equally good athlete, excellent ball skills, loves football, coachable, steady personality, room to grow and block. Has the desire to block and be complete. Coaches son, focuses on being a team guy, doing all the little things.

I'm not sure I'd call him in he same athlete category as Finley.....but certainly more coachable with a better attitude

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 11:28 AM
i'm thinking we're gonna end up taking another WR today, but its gonna be one with mad return skills

Bruce Ellington - WR - 5'9" 197 - South Carolina Grade 5.3

This fella I wanted badly and he just went off the board to:

Damn Damn ...Double Damn !!

The San Francisco 49ers got him.

That team is just killing it !

wist43
05-10-2014, 11:57 AM
It's easy to hide behind "in Ted we Trust"... but he's put together some completely shit drafts - and drafted some players we all scratched our heads, and said WTF. Ted defends the pick in his news conference, we all give him the benefit of the doubt - and sure enough the guy ends up being shit.

TT has a long, long list of shit picks. He has his share of hits - and Rodgers saves him when all else fails. TT fields one of the worst defenses in NFL history, Rodgers save his ass with an All-World season, and everyone says it's all good.

Caleb Schlauderaff, Ricky Elmore, Brian Brohm, Pat Lee, yada yada...

TT has had his share of complete stinkers.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Bruce Ellington - WR - 5'9" 197 - South Carolina Grade 5.3

This fella I wanted badly and he just went off the board to:

Damn Damn ...Double Damn !!

The San Francisco 49ers got him.

That team is just killing it !

YUP

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Umm might want to start comparing TT drafts to drafts around the league....

No one is perfect at drafting, its a crap shoot.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 12:07 PM
It's easy to hide behind "in Ted we Trust"... but he's put together some completely shit drafts - and drafted some players we all scratched our heads, and said WTF. Ted defends the pick in his news conference, we all give him the benefit of the doubt - and sure enough the guy ends up being shit.

TT has a long, long list of shit picks. He has his share of hits - and Rodgers saves him when all else fails. TT fields one of the worst defenses in NFL history, Rodgers save his ass with an All-World season, and everyone says it's all good.

Every GM drafts good players and bad players. TT does a better job than most. The problem is that the players we think were good picks often turn out bad. Most thought Brohm was a steal and they liked Pat Lee, Abdul Hodge, etc. Meanwhile, people like Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, David Bakhtiari, and Mike Daniels seemed like reaches or bad fits. Perhaps we need to evaluate ourselves and see how we did.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 12:48 PM

This critique is like telling us the sky is blue, but some days its not as blue and is a little gray. A GM has some terrible picks. Really? That has never before happened on planet Earth.

What would be compelling is whether or not you could develop a better than 500 record of telling me which players are terrible before they hit the field. The track record of complaints about Rodgers, Collins, Jennings and Bakhitiari tells me this is unlikely for any poster.

You think people who believe in Ted are drinking Kool Aid. If that is so, provide a better flavor rather than a complaint.