PDA

View Full Version : Official Jared Abbrederis Thread

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 02:46 PM
http://binaryapi.ap.org/35cffedcf7c942ddb3a52d41540e0d30/512x.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGWXphHFTaY

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jared-abbrederis?id=2543774

Overview

Married. Last name is pronounced "ab-bruh-DAIR-is." Was a high school quarterback and defensive back in Wisconsin, where he won a state championship, wrestled and was the Gatorade track athlete of the year. Walked on and redshirted in 2009, working as a scout team spread quarterback. Earned a scholarship in '10 before playing all 13 games (two starts) and recording 20 receptions for 289 yards (14.4-yard average) and three touchdowns. Started all 14 games in '11 and posted 55-933-8 (17.0). Broke a bone in his left foot against South Dakota in Week Four -- was not diagnosed until after the season and he sat out '12 spring practice. In the fall, started 12-of-13 games and caught 49-837-5 (17.1). Sustained a concussion against Oregon State and did not play against Utah State. Also sustained a concussion against Penn State. Started 12-of-13 games in '13, totaling 78-1,081-7 (13.9) with six rushes for 119 yards (19.8) and two touchdowns. Did not start against Indiana (ribs). Did not play in the Senior Bowl (hamstring). Also returned 55 career punts for 587 yards (10.7), including a score, and 31 career kickoffs for 800 yards (25.8). Burlsworth Trophy winner as nation's best player to begin his career as a walk-on.

Analysis

Strengths
Uses his hands well to swat away press. Stems his routes. Sells his patterns. Nice hands. Good field and boundary awareness. Gives effort to engage and shield cornerbacks as a blocker. Outstanding football intelligence -- like a quarterback on the outside. Productive three-year starter. Mature and humble. Hardworking and coachable. Carved up Ohio State CB Bradley Roby to the tune of 10-207-1.

Weaknesses
Has a slender build and needs to bulk up and get stronger. Ordinary pop off the line. Builds to average speed. Could struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch covermen. Lets throws into his body and breaks stride to catch. Not a jumpball player (30 1/2-inch vertical jump). Straightlinish after the catch -- pedestrian agility and elusiveness. Has a history of concussions. Bench-pressed 225 pounds just four times, lowest of all combine participants.

Bottom Line
A former walk-on, Abbrederis went from afterthought to scholarship player to No. 1 receiver. While the blue-collar overachiever lacks exceptional athletic traits for the NFL, he's a steady "X" receiver whose hands and smarts could enable him to work his way into a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver role.

red
05-10-2014, 02:50 PM
scary injury and concussion history, but love the try hard overachiever aspect

pbmax
05-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1m
As a return guy at UW, Abbrederis averaged 25.8 (no TDs) on kickoffs and 10.7 on punts (1 TD)

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1m
Abbrederis 40 time at combine, average of handheld times 4.53, fastest electronic time 4.50. Some teams go by former, some latter.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 34s
Abbrederis vertical of 30 1/2 inches not very good, but 10-yard split in 40 of 1.60 seconds pretty good.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Prospect-Primer-WR-Jared-Abbrederis-Wisconsin/0f76ce3d-82e8-4b0d-902b-edb97ad4e7d1?campaign=prospect_primer_20140510_236 67714

pbmax
05-10-2014, 02:54 PM
scary injury and concussion history, but love the try hard overachiever aspect

Concussions are a definite concern.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 02:56 PM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2014/05/10/packers-2014-nfl-draft-fourth-round-pick-carl-bradford-lb-arizona-state/

Jared Abbrederis
WR
Wisconsin
6’1″/195 lbs

CAREER NOTES:

Won 2013 Burlsworth Trophy as nation’s top player who began his career as a walk-on … finished career tied for school record for receptions (202) and ranked No. 2 all-time at Wisconsin in receiving yards (3,140) and touchdown receptions (23) … ranks eighth all-time among Big Ten players with 3,140 career receiving yards … registered fourth 1,000-yard season in UW history in 2013 with 1,081 receiving yards … also set school record for kickoff return average (25.8) and ranks No. 5 all-time in punt return average (10.7) … finished career ranked No. 7 all-time at UW with 4,818 all-purpose yards (291 rushing, 3,140 receiving, 587 punt return, 800 kickoff return)

COMBINE: 4.5 40-yard, 4 bench, 30.5″ vertical, 117.0″ broad, 6.80 3-cone, 4.08 shuttle,
NFL.com Profile

SCOUTING REPORT:

Uses his hands well to swat away press. Stems his routes. Sells his patterns. Nice hands. Good field and boundary awareness. Gives effort to engage and shield cornerbacks as a blocker. Outstanding football intelligence — like a quarterback on the outside. Productive three-year starter. Mature and humble. Hardworking and coachable.
Has a slender build and needs to bulk up and get stronger. Ordinary pop off the line. Builds to average speed. Could struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch covermen. Lets throws into his body and breaks stride to catch. Not an above-the-rim player. Straightlinish after the catch — pedestrian agility and elusiveness. Has a history of concussions.
A former walk-on, Abbrederis went from afterthought to scholarship player to No. 1 receiver. While the blue-collar overachiever lacks exceptional athletic traits for the NFL, he’s a steady “X” receiver whose hands and smarts could enable him to work his way into a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver role.

Cheesehead Craig
05-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Very happy we got him. Kinda a Donald Driver guy who just works his ass off. Love to have players like that.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 03:18 PM
You get down on his measurables and then he goes out and destroys a very good corner in Bradley Roby. Makes you think he can do it at the pro level. A bit like how Jordy destroyed Talib in college.

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 03:27 PM
He'll be our #5 WR and return man this season...finally we are getting a nice receiving corp back. Reminds me a lot of Jordan Shipley when I watch his highlights.

Cheesehead Craig
05-10-2014, 03:38 PM
You get down on his measurables and then he goes out and destroys a very good corner in Bradley Roby. Makes you think he can do it at the pro level. A bit like how Jordy destroyed Talib in college.
Good points Harvey. Forgot that he did that this past season.

mraynrand
05-10-2014, 03:53 PM
I think he should wear #4 to indicate his bench press reps.

BZnDallas
05-10-2014, 04:17 PM
The WR core just got deep again. I love this pick. Abberderis as a no. 5? I agree though, gotta hope he keeps his noodle healthy. He'll end up being a fan favorite and home town hero for sure if his career ends short due to concussions or whatever.

BZnDallas
05-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I think he should wear #4 to indicate his bench press reps.

I second this motion.

All in Faver.... UH FAVOR!!!

pbmax
05-10-2014, 04:26 PM

There was nothing more fun than watching that video after Jordy was drafted and everyone was panicked. Good times.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
ALRIGHT BIETCHES.......I JUST GOT IN FROM ALL KIND OF HONEY TO DO DRIVEWAY WORK.....................ARE YOU GUYS F'CKIN WITH ME OR DID WE DRAFT A BADGER ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

pbmax
05-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Poor Mrs. Bretsky. Either he is going to be VERY amorous tonight or will ignore her to read old Badger GameDay Programs. Its a lose-lose.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 04:33 PM
ALRIGHT BIETCHES.......I JUST GOT IN FROM ALL KIND OF HONEY TO DO DRIVEWAY WORK.....................ARE YOU GUYS F'CKIN WITH ME OR DID WE DRAFT A BADGER ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Didn't the Tornado sirens go off in Fort like they did here?

woodbuck27
05-10-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm just guessing that he hates the weight room.

esoxx
05-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Love the pick. He'll get stronger and is a precise route runner.

run pMc
05-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Didn't the draftniks say he ran the best routes? That will help him get separation and win Rodgers' trust, although he will always struggle with press coverage.
If he can return kicks or punts that will be a big plus. I think they would rather have someone not named Hyde or Cobb fill that role.

I think Edgar Bennett will like coaching this kid.

Bretsky
05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Many on the nfl network noted he was one of the best if not the best route runners; very natural and cuts hard and fluid like a Jordy Nelson...some noted Welker....

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Many on the nfl network noted he was one of the best if not the best route runners; very natural and cuts hard and fluid like a Jordy Nelson...some noted Welker....

I see some Welker in his game but I really don't see any Jordy Nelson.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 07:09 PM
I see some Welker in his game but I really don't see any Jordy Nelson.

Well, he is white after all. There is that.

wist43
05-10-2014, 07:12 PM
I like Abbrederis a lot... we need that crafty, underneath guy.

Surprised he was still there at the end of the 5th.

bobblehead
05-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Well, he is white after all. There is that.

Pretty simple rule really. You can't compare a white receiver to anyone other than another white receiver.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 08:01 PM
I have Marvin Jones as a compare. Is that okay?

pbmax
05-10-2014, 09:10 PM

You can pass.

Pugger
05-10-2014, 09:54 PM
His maturity and route running will rule the day. It will be fun to see if he can win a spot on our roster or he'll be a good candidate for PS?

KYPack
05-10-2014, 11:23 PM

Nah, Jones is a strong kid, good speed and routes.

Abby is an underneath guy (in the NFL).

Ab is like Andrew Hawkins (to have a brother to mess with Brandon), but taller.

I dig the pick and really like these comments.

I was positive about this pick, but the group pep talk from the Rats is great.

smuggler
05-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Sad to hear that he has a concussion history, but hopeful he can escape it going forward.

Jimx29
05-10-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm far to lazy to dig this up........would it be possible that Tolzien threw Abbrederis a pass or 2?

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2014, 01:43 AM

Other than bench, they tested very similar athletically. I see they went right around the same pick (at the end of the 5th round). Funny. I got the compare from the following article. Since their measurables are so similar, I kept the compare.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/12/22/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jared-abbrederis-wr-wisconsin/

NFL Comparison

Abbrederis has a similar game to Marvin Jones of the Cincinnati Bengals. Coming out of Cal, Jones was somewhat overlooked because he was overshadowed by Keenan Allen, one of the best receivers in the country. Jones has similar physical ability to Abbrederis and might not qualify as one of the top 10 most gifted athletes on the Bengals roster. Nevertheless, he is one of the leaders in catches because he just understands and how to get open and catch the football despite only being a fifth round pick.

Brandon494
05-11-2014, 03:42 AM
He reminds me of Welker because of his body catches but as long as they catch it who cares how they do it right? He doesn't remind me of Marvin Jones at all, I hate to say it because hes say but he really reminds me of Julian Edelman haha. Both were former QBs that understand route running and both are good return men on special teams.

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 07:44 AM

This is one of the best experiences I've had asa member here KY.

Generally it was all very positive....even considering a tough ass like I am.

I don't allow much to go by. I'm also always ready to be corrected and wanting to learn...grow as a football fan and Packer fan.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Other than bench, they tested very similar athletically. I see they went right around the same pick (at the end of the 5th round). Funny. I got the compare from the following article. Since their measurables are so similar, I kept the compare.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/12/22/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jared-abbrederis-wr-wisconsin/

As always solid info. Harvey...Thanks.

pbmax
05-11-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm far to lazy to dig this up........would it be possible that Tolzien threw Abbrederis a pass or 2?

2010 Tolzien was a senior and Abrcadabra was a frosh.

KYPack
05-11-2014, 12:07 PM

What the hell am I doing arguing prospects w Harv anyhow?

Jones is a little different style that Abby.

Jones had a lot of problems his rookie season. Ran wrong routes and dropped some key passes. He blossomed this past season, 4 TD passes vs the Jets for instance. Got a grip of the offense and became a solid route guy. Jones is an inch taller than Abby and plays big. He is much more muscular than AB, almost to the point of being jacked up. He really bloomed in his pass catching. he uses his long strong arms to muscle the ball from DB's. He has developed a great sense of rhythm, getting open at the right time in a route.

I hope you are right, that they are similar players. But they seem like they would take different paths to success. Jones has worked his way to becoming the 2, behind AJ Green. If Jared becomes our 2, I'm happy as hell.

]

mraynrand
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Saying a spindly weak receiver is a 'good route runner' is like saying a fat girl has a 'good personality.'

Jimx29
05-11-2014, 02:20 PM
2010 Tolzien was a senior and Abrcadabra was a frosh.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2je9qau.jpg :D

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/258785051.html

Wisconson's Chris Beatty on Abbrederis: 'He’s never had anything given to him'

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Q: You came to Madison once he was established, but where did you see Jared Abbrederis, the walk-on?

Beatty: “He’s always been one of those guys who earns respect. He’s never had anything given to him. He earned everything he’s got and he continues to work to earn it. It’s like he’s still trying to earn a scholarship all the time. It’s one of those deals where we’ve had to take him out and let him sit and you’d turn around and he’s back in the huddle. He just wants to play. He enjoys playing. That’s who he is. That’s what he does. He wants to compete.” ..."
FR, LINK

Please click on the LINK for the entire story.

Tony Oday
05-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Reminds me of Don Beebe with his concussion history.

pbmax
05-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Saying a spindly weak receiver is a 'good route runner' is like saying a fat girl has a 'good personality.'

He also gets his teammates lined up right.

Bretsky
05-11-2014, 09:51 PM
With the history he's had he kind of reminds me of Austin Collie

ThunderDan
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
I am fine with this pick in the 5th round. Another thing to consider is that he was doubled teamed a lot especially in passing situations. The Badgers had no other WR on the team. The second best WR on the Badgers had 12 catches last year.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I am fine with this pick in the 5th round. Another thing to consider is that he was doubled teamed a lot especially in passing situations. The Badgers had no other WR on the team. The second best WR on the Badgers had 12 catches last year.

And he had Stave throwing him balls at his feet. :lol:

Joemailman
05-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Great routes plus great hands means Arod will love this guy. Still, he will probably be the #5 WR, so don't expect to see him a whole lot as a rookie.

Pugger
05-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Reminds me of Don Beebe with his concussion history.

Really? Don Beebe was one of the fastest players to ever play in the league and Abbrederis is no speed demon.

mraynrand
05-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Really? Don Beebe was one of the fastest players to ever play in the league and Abbrederis is no speed demon.

I think he meant with respect to his concussion history, not all Don Beebe characteristics. I like the they are both white, as I fear making comparisons across racial lines. That's why it is so difficult to make comparisons to Tony Gonzales and that Palmolive guy from the Steelers.

mission
05-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Hopefully he wears the Beebe helmet thingie...

pbmax
05-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Hopefully he wears the Beebe helmet thingie...

Or Mark Kelso's

http://www.pigskinbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mark-kelso-helmet.png

Pugger
05-14-2014, 12:34 AM
I think he meant with respect to his concussion history, not all Don Beebe characteristics. I like the they are both white, as I fear making comparisons across racial lines. That's why it is so difficult to make comparisons to Tony Gonzales and that Palmolive guy from the Steelers.

Oh yes, I forgot Beebe had concussion issues.

mraynrand
05-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Or Mark Kelso's

http://www.pigskinbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mark-kelso-helmet.png

I prefer Rodgers' oversized Helmet:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/The_Great_Gazoo.png

theeaterofshades
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted for truth

Bretsky
05-14-2014, 06:20 PM
It would be cool to see how many wide open TD's for bombs Stave missed to Aberderis. I'd think about 5....maybe more.....Stave.....he brought on LOT of swearing on gameday from missing the wide open deep WR

pbmax
05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
It would be cool to see how many wide open TD's for bombs Stave missed to Aberderis. I'd think about 5....maybe more.....Stave.....he brought on LOT of swearing on gameday from missing the wide open deep WR

I hope you weren't in attendance in Madison with your sailor talk in front of all the impressionable college kids. :shock:

smuggler
05-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Double truth. That was the first thing I noticed from the OSU game film.

Joemailman
05-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Abby signs contract. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/259249741.html

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 05:16 AM

This LINK will bring some of it back to you. You might even recall the plays where Beebe got his bell rung.

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 05:22 AM

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/joel_stave_749560.html

mraynrand
05-15-2014, 07:57 AM

So did he

pbmax
05-15-2014, 11:26 AM
This LINK will bring some of it back to you. You might even recall the plays where Beebe got his bell rung.

Woddy, you have the missing link there instead.

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Whoops ! .... I forgot the LINK... Thanks pbmax.

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/news/crosby/12303157-418/nfl-concussion-controversy-hits-home-in-fox-valley.html#.U3VKSLlOWhw

NFL concussion controversy hits home for Fox Valley coach

By: Denise Crosby ... dcrosby@stmedianetwork.com on May 8, 2012 12:42PM

Willard
11-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Uh boy. Abbrederis got tackled and is out for several weeks.

PA Pack Fan
11-19-2015, 10:29 AM

........because he was turned around by a very poorly thrown ball.

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 10:37 AM
........because he was turned around by a very poorly thrown ball.

That fucker Rodgers strikes again!

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 10:47 AM

This is really annoying. Guy makes a play and is immediately lost.

Fritz
11-19-2015, 10:58 AM

This is funny because it's true.

pbmax
11-19-2015, 11:08 AM
That fucker Rodgers strikes again!

Intentionally hurting his receivers to protect his stats. So selfish!

Plus now with a depleted corps of WR, he can blame the target for his suckitude.

And then he can blame the passing game woes on the coaching staff's inability to adapt and escape blame for the team's won-loss record.

I bet Rodgers put a sun lamp over that area where Jordy landed to bake the sod hard so he would tear an ACL on that route.

#Machiavellian

#StartHundley!

mraynrand
11-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Intentionally hurting his receivers to protect his stats. So selfish!

Plus now with a depleted corps of WR, he can blame the target for his suckitude.

And then he can blame the passing game woes on the coaching staff's inability to adapt and escape blame for the team's won-loss record.

I bet Rodgers put a sun lamp over that area where Jordy landed to bake the sod hard so he would tear an ACL on that route.

#Machiavellian

#StartHundley!

Ya, dey godda put in Pedderson, ya der hey!!! I mean put dat HOUNDLY guy in der! Lambardee woodda never put up with poor play from Raadgers for dis laang!

Patler
11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Uh boy. Abbrederis got tackled and is out for several weeks.This is funny because it's true.

Didn't we have predictions in another thread as to how long he would last? Number of receptions, times tackled or something?

I think he was injured the fourth time he was tackled; 4 receptions and 2 KO returns, but I think he went out of bounds twice.

red
11-19-2015, 11:40 AM
I took the "under" or two play to get hurt, I think

smuggler
11-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Abby is done. He's going to scramble his eggs every time he gets hit. It's a shame, but he needs to be shut down for his own good.

Pugger
11-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Abby is done. He's going to scramble his eggs every time he gets hit. It's a shame, but he needs to be shut down for his own good.

I would agree with you if this latest injury had anything to do with his head.

Bretsky
11-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Abby will return to teach Janis how to run routes so he can use his speed to get open :))
Abbby looked dam good the last game when others were not getting open.

Kabir Bajabimelieaphoo's brother called Abby a Fantasy football sleeper before he realized AROD put him on the shelf for several weeks with that throw

pbmax
11-19-2015, 09:55 PM
^ You mean Admiral Akbar?

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2015, 10:05 PM
I would agree with you if this latest injury had anything to do with his head.

It's not just the concussions - look at the guy. It's a good think that Lambeau field is not especially breezy.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2015, 10:12 PM
TV commentators are talking about Alex Erickson having a pro career. Just what we need - another Badger "Rudy" getting crippled in the pros.

Pugger
11-21-2015, 08:15 AM
It's not just the concussions - look at the guy. It's a good think that Lambeau field is not especially breezy.

I can't imagine too many WRs not getting injured after the blast Abby took there. I noticed they didn't put him on IR so he should be back later on.

Fritz
11-21-2015, 09:33 AM
I can't imagine too many WRs not getting injured after the blast Abby took there. I noticed they didn't put him on IR so he should be back later on.

He's like that hot high school girl - looks so, so good but is never available.

What a tease.

red
11-21-2015, 09:50 AM
its not like abby is the most frail or smallest guy in the nfl

he just needs to learn how to avoid, or absorb a hit a little better

this guy was very skinny too but didn't break every time he got hit

http://nflfanpoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/randy-moss-49ers.jpg

mraynrand
11-21-2015, 09:50 AM
He's like that hot high school girl - looks so, so good but is never available.

What a tease.

maybe if you had a 'big knife,' things would be different.