PDA

View Full Version : Official Demetri Goodson Thread

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 06:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldkDWhv9Ju8

http://binaryapi.ap.org/3010e030a1fe40d8903e78621c95accf/460x.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/demetri-goodson?id=2543557

Draft Analysis:

"He was the starting point guard on the Gonzaga basketball team. He switched to fotoball and transferred to Baylor. He's as raw as can be." -- Daniel Jeremiah

Overview

His brother, Mike, is a running back for the Jets. Demetri began his college career as a basketball player at Gonzaga, averaging 5.1 points per game in 103 contests over three seasons. In 2011, he decided to give football another try and transferred to Baylor. Saw action in four games as a defensive reserve and on special teams, recording one tackle and returning three kickoffs for 100 yards and zero touchdowns (33.3-yard average). Tore ligaments in his right ankle on a kickoff Oct. 8, missing the rest of the season. Earned a starting cornerback job in '12 and started the first three games of the season. Did not start the fourth game, but fractured his right forearm in two spots in the first quarter against West Virginia and missed the remainder of the year. Had 16 tackles, two pass breakups and one interception with two tackles for loss. Also was 2-49-0 (24.5) returning kickoffs. He was granted a medical-hardship waiver to play in '13 and saw his most extensive gridiron action, appearing in 11 games (10 starts) and tallying 26-13-3. Led the team in interceptions, including a pick against Central Florida's Blake Bortles in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. Missed the first two games of the season with a bone bruise after re-injuring his right arm in one of the final fall scrimmages.

Analysis

Strengths
Excellent size. Good athletic ability, hand-eye coordination and ball production. Can turn and run vertical. Nice plant-and-drive -- breaks on throws. Has a 37-inch vertical. Has some upside. Comes from an athletic family and has NFL bloodlines.

Weaknesses
Has been unable to stay in one piece and durability is a major concern. Has short arms and small hands. Relatively inexperienced with green instincts. Press technique needs to be coached up. Loses separation at the break point. Limited tackle production -- gets stuck on blocks and doesn't set a hard edge. Will be a 25-year-old rookie.

Bottom Line
Overaged, injury-prone, height-weight-speed prospect with a basketball background. Shows in flashes when he's able to rely on his reactionary skills and natural athleticism to break up throws, but he is raw and will have to prove he offers developmental value.

pbmax
05-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 59m
Goodson has had injury issues. Medical redshirt in '12 (broken arm in 4th game), missed most of '11 season because of torn ankle ligaments

Brandon494
05-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Yea this is the only pick I didn't like in the draft. His overaged, injury-prone, and raw??? I don't get it but hopefully I'm wrong.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2014, 07:27 PM
It does make sense when you realize TT never drafts CBs over 4.52 in the 40 (Micah Hyde at 4.52, nobody else over 4.47) and very rarely drafts CBs over 7.00 in the 3 cone (except for Pat Lee at 7.07 in 2008). There were only like 12 CBs in this draft that fit that criteria. Goodson was one of the 12 CBs in this draft. He's a good athlete. It's worth a late round flier. Only 8 also hit the 5'11"+ height that the Packers prefer. Goodson is 5'11". Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller, Phillip Gaines, Kenneth Acker, Travis Carrie and Shaquille Richardson are 6'0". Bradley Roby is 5'11". The other four are shorter. Jason Verrett is 5'9". Rashaad Reynolds, Kendall James, Dexter McDougle are 5'10". I do agree with you though in that I had them in this order: Reynolds, Carrie, Goodson.

Badgerinmaine
05-10-2014, 07:30 PM
The Houston Chronicle has a five part series about his story (!)-- Played basketball at Gonzaga, transferred closer to his Texas home, fought to overcome injuries, relatives playing in the NFL...and his Dad doing a 27 year sentence in prison for mortgage fraud. There's links to the series here: http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/04/baylors-demetri-goodson-in-two-worlds-as-nfl-draft-approaches/#22816101=0 (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/04/baylors-demetri-goodson-in-two-worlds-as-nfl-draft-approaches/#22816101=0)

mraynrand
05-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Return punts?

pbmax
05-10-2014, 09:12 PM
If that theory of the 3 cone holds, I would make it a rule to NEVER violate it so as not to be teased by the likes of Lee again.

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 59m
Goodson has had injury issues. Medical redshirt in '12 (broken arm in 4th game), missed most of '11 season because of torn ankle ligaments

He has had bad luck with injuries.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/258770031.html

Packers take Baylor cornerback Demetri Goodson in sixth round

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

May 10, 2014

CBs coach Joe Whitt on Goodson:

"You see him really get up in people’s faces and play a lot of man with him, and that’s what we’re going to do with him. We might play some fire zones or what have you, but at the end of the day it all becomes man. So he has to have that ability and he does have it. He can play outside and control verticals."

Fritz
05-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Sounds like "he can play man and we'll teach him the rest."

A 25 year old raw, injury-prone rookie, though?

run pMc
05-13-2014, 11:43 AM
This pick feels like Mike Hawkins II to me.
If he shows anything, maybe they have him fake a hamstring and put him on IR or stash him on the PS. I don't think he's anything but a longshot to make the 53, but a year from now they may not have Tramon or House so they will likely need to have some new CBs and he could fit then.

Joemailman
05-18-2014, 12:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350763/article/demetri-goodson-among-2014-nfl-drafts-most-intriguing-picks

Goodson is the only player in college sports history to start an NCAA Tournament game (as a guard at Gonzaga) and a BCS bowl game (as a cornerback at Baylor). He began his career as a basketball player for the Zags before realizing any pro aspirations would have to come in football (his brother, Michael, is an NFL running back). Thus, he transferred to Baylor in his home state of Texas and started playing football again (he had played in high school).

Brandon494
05-18-2014, 01:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350763/article/demetri-goodson-among-2014-nfl-drafts-most-intriguing-picks

Crazy we have two out of 7 players on the list of 2014 NFL Draft's most intriguing picks.

Packers TE Richard Rodgers

Rodgers is the son of an NFL assistant, Richard Rodgers Sr., who is the special-teams coach of the Carolina Panthers. That means Rodgers also is the son of a former Cal player who was involved in one of the most famous plays in college football history, a play so famous it is called, simply, "The Play" -- the multi-lateral extravaganza that ended the 1982 Cal-Stanford game. Richard Rodgers Sr. made the last lateral before Kevin Moen scored the winning touchdown -- a score that ended John Elway's college career. Stanford would've gone to a bowl if not for the loss.

Smidgeon
05-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Honestly, this is the only pick where I can't really see what's great/promising about the kid. What am I missing?

Joemailman
05-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Honestly, this is the only pick where I can't really see what's great/promising about the kid. What am I missing?

Athleticism. TT is banking on Joe Whitt doing for him what he's done for Sam Shields. Until that happens, maybe he's at least a special teams stud. Definitely a project.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 10:00 PM
He's going to be fantastic for the offseason Packer Basketball team.

woodbuck27
05-19-2014, 06:23 AM
He'll look great in the playgrounds under the hoop.

Fritz
05-19-2014, 09:18 AM
This pick feels like Mike Hawkins II to me.
If he shows anything, maybe they have him fake a hamstring and put him on IR or stash him on the PS. I don't think he's anything but a longshot to make the 53, but a year from now they may not have Tramon or House so they will likely need to have some new CBs and he could fit then.

IR is like an extra PS for Ted. No doubt the dude will come up with a mysterious injury in camp. It'll be either a convenient "injury" or a career-ender

Pugger
05-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Considering he was a late pick I'm not going to wring my hands if he doesn't make the team.

pbmax
05-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
New from JS: Demetri Goodson tries for rare switch from point guard to cornerback http://bit.ly/1h6z4oI

Not as rare as Right Guard to Cornerback switch though!

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 03:45 AM
It does make sense when you realize TT never drafts CBs over 4.52 in the 40 (Micah Hyde at 4.52, nobody else over 4.47) and very rarely drafts CBs over 7.00 in the 3 cone (except for Pat Lee at 7.07 in 2008). There were only like 12 CBs in this draft that fit that criteria. Goodson was one of the 12 CBs in this draft. He's a good athlete. It's worth a late round flier. Only 8 also hit the 5'11"+ height that the Packers prefer. Goodson is 5'11". Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller, Phillip Gaines, Kenneth Acker, Travis Carrie and Shaquille Richardson are 6'0". Bradley Roby is 5'11". The other four are shorter. Jason Verrett is 5'9". Rashaad Reynolds, Kendall James, Dexter McDougle are 5'10". I do agree with you though in that I had them in this order: Reynolds, Carrie, Goodson.

Good research Harvey.

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 11:54 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/ex-sweet-16-guard-goodson-says-packers-got-draft-day-steal-052014

Ex-Sweet 16 guard Goodson says Packers got draft-day steal

BY: Paul Imig

FOX Sports Wisconsin ... MAY 20, 2014 3:50p ET

" ... "I tell the coaches that all the time: I'm like 'Watch, Coach. Watch. I'm telling you,'" Goodson said. "Basically, once I learn the plays and get out there and play against Aaron (Rodgers), watch, I'm going to be a steal." ..." ...Fr. LINK above and...

Please click on that LINK for the rest of this Rookies story.

GO PACK GO !