PDA

View Full Version : Packers Draft Grades

Brandon494
05-11-2014, 03:58 AM
Go ahead and post what ever articles you find on grading the Packers Draft...even though it means absolutely shit. :-)

I'll start off by posting SI's trade grade on the Pack.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/2/

Green Bay Packers

Few teams addressed obvious needs as aggressively and intelligently in this draft as the Packers, starting with first-round safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. The Alabama product can cover deep, and he’s a great hitter from linebacker depth up. Three underrated receivers — Fresno State’s Davante Adams in the second round, Wisconsin slot man Jared Abbrederis in the fifth and Saginaw Valley State’s Jeff Janis in the seventh — should make Aaron Rodgers very happy. Cal tight end Richard Rodgers is the Jermichael Finley replacement — a receiver who can flare wide and make plays. And Southern Miss defensive tackle Khyri Thornton will help a line in great need of young, tough talent.

Grade: A

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 07:11 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24558227/grading-the-2014-nfl-draft-improvements-aplenty-in-nfc-north

NFLDraftScout.com

Grading the 2014 NFL Draft: Improvements aplenty in NFC North

By: Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

May 11, 2014 1:15 am ET

All the talk this morning Sunday Mothers day 11 may 2014 is the fact of the St. Louis RAMS selecting openly gay DE prospect Michael Sams. That man is having already to deal with the media and all the distraction that accompanies that.

He has to try to shut all of that down soon. Allow it to happen for this week and then say ..NO! He has to try to work with all of the RAMS roster and make the St. Louis RAMS a better teazm or he's going to be looking for work elsewhere.

Back to the real news for Packer nation and Packerrats:

What a draft for all to enjoy that got into it as I certainly did. I look forward to the NFL Draft every year as one of the very most exciting events we enjoy as NFL and Green Bay Packer football fans.

This draft was very deep if the talent grades are to be believed.

This was an interesting draft and as it closed so many decently graded prospects weren't drafted and wait near their phone with hope of a call from some NFL team to become an UFA. I'm sure many registered for the draft have and are still experiencing anxious moments.

I look forward to seeing who Ted Thompson and his team bring in as UFA's.

** The Green Bay Packers get a grade of : A

** The Minnesota Vikings get a grade of A

** The Chicago Bears Get a grade of: A-

** The Detroit Lions get a grade of: B+

All four teams in this draft received impressive grades from this prominent NFL Football draft site.

The good news for Packer Nation.....members of Packerrats;

Green Bay Packer GM Ted Thompson and his 2014 draft Team did a tremendous job and tied the Minnesota Vikings with the highest grade, receiving an A GRADE.

Congratulations go out to Ted Thompson and his Draft Team.

Nice job Ted !

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 07:16 AM
How was the Green Bay Packers DRAFT Graded on this site?

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2014-nfl-draft-grades--how-did-your-team-fare-022502802.html

Check it out and inform Packerrats if your pleased with the grade or not.

I've yet to check to see the results for all four NFCN teams.

Later.........

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
The praise for Ted Thompson's Draft performance keep on rolling in:

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/

Posted May 10, 2014

2014 NFL draft grades: Vikings, Packers and Raiders receive highest marks

NFL Draft, NFL draft 2014

By: Chris Burke & Doug Farrar

Green Bay Packers

" Few teams addressed obvious needs as aggressively and intelligently in this draft as the Packers, starting with first-round safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. The Alabama product can cover deep, and he’s a great hitter from linebacker depth up. Three underrated receivers — Fresno State’s Davante Adams in the second round, Wisconsin slot man Jared Abbrederis in the fifth and Saginaw Valley State’s Jeff Janis in the seventh — should make Aaron Rodgers very happy. Cal tight end Richard Rodgers is the Jermichael Finley replacement — a receiver who can flare wide and make plays. And Southern Miss defensive tackle Khyri Thornton will help a line in great need of young, tough talent. " Fr. LINK

Grade: A

Please CLICK on the LINK above to review the Grade results for the other 31 NFL teams.

How did the rest of the NFCN teams make out?

GO PACK GO !

wist43
05-11-2014, 07:46 AM
I guess I'd give it a B out of the gate. Clinton-Dix and Adams are okay; I like Rodgers and Abbrederis.

Unless Bradford unseats one of our ILB's, which I doubt - then we did nothing to improve our dismal ILB play; Thorton was a wasted pick, even though he's a decent player...

One thing is for sure, TT drafted for need - we'll see how it works out.

woodbuck27
05-11-2014, 08:00 AM
I guess I'd give it a B out of the gate. Clinton-Dix and Adams are okay; I like Rodgers and Abbrederis.

Unless Bradford unseats one of our ILB's, which I doubt - then we did nothing to improve our dismal ILB play; Thorton was a wasted pick, even though he's a decent player...

I agree that it was obvious that TT didn't draft BPA...rather he drafted for need.

He didn't get a clear OG prospect and decided instead to try to solve our return game on ST's...as well as provide targets for Aaron Rodgers. Three WR picks surprized me. ** That last WR pick is intriguing ... typical TT. :-)

** WR Jeff Janis - 6'3" 219- Saginaw Valley St. Pick 21, Round 7 (236) with a Grade on NFL.com of 5.3

I was glad he didn't trade up or down. I believe that helps to be more focused.

GO PACK GO !

red
05-11-2014, 08:14 AM

he also didn't trade up or down for the first time that i can remember

KYPack
05-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Brandon AND Woody think it was a good draft?!?

It musta been at least OK then.

Brandon, you did a helluva a job pre-draft with your "picture mocks".

I will take at least a month off from insulting you on a racial basis.

pbmax
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Now we need Ted to write his memoir for reasons beyond the Summer of Farve. Because this draft looked like 2011 and filled some pretty big needs.

However, he still took people no one expected.

Its impossible to know if he ignored the board, "just wanted to pick someone" as he said in the draft ending presser, or a actually had each of these guys at the top.

Rastak
05-11-2014, 10:08 AM
http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/

"2014 NFL draft grades: Vikings, Packers and Raiders receive highest marks
NFL DRAFT, NFL DRAFT 2014
BY CHRIS BURKE & DOUG FARRAR"

pbmax
05-11-2014, 10:34 AM
OK that is three mentions of SI's draft grades! :lol:

Here is Woody's suggestion: http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/team-by-team-grades-for-the-2014-nfl-draft-1399767620-slideshow/

Packers: A-
Vikes: A-
Bears: C+
Lions: C

CBS Prisco: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24557993/grades-lots-of-as-and-no-fs-much-to-like-in-2014-nfl-draft

Vikings: A
Bears: A
Packers: B
Lions: B-

USAToday Nate Davis: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-05-01-nfl-draft-grades_N.htm

Packers: 9th
Bears: 21st
Vikes: 23rd
Lions: 28th

denverYooper
05-11-2014, 11:27 AM
It's like the old saying, "opinions are like assholes"...

wist43
05-11-2014, 12:07 PM
It's like the old saying, "opinions are like assholes"...

Tried to find some grades immediately following our 2011 draft - everyone was swooning with the "in Ted we trust" virus. Most of the grades were A's and B's.

Of course the 2011 draft has already proven to be a disaster.

wist43
05-11-2014, 12:30 PM
We can look back at drafts with hindsight...

2005, 11 picks - 8 crap, 3 players (Rodgers, Collins, and Poppinga)
2006, 12 picks - 8 crap, 4 players (Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Jolly)
2007, 11 picks - 7 crap, 2 players (James Jones and Bishop); the other 2 players were Brandon Jackson (sort of player, but certainly not worth a 2nd round pick; and Crosby.
2008, 9 picks - 4 crap, 4 players (Nelson, Finley, Sitton, and Flynn); the other decent player was Giacomini - who we decided to kick to the curb.
2009, 8 picks - 4 crap, 4 players (Raji, Matthews, Lang, and Brad Jones)
2010, 7 picks - 0 crap, 7 players (Pretty good draft - everyone contributed to some extent)
2011, 10 picks - 8 crap, 2 players (Randall Cobb, Devon House); Sherrod is still with the team - but will likely never contribute. Terrible draft.
2012, 8 picks - 4 crap, jury still out on everyone else

Last year looked like a pretty good draft. This year ???

From 2005 to 2012, that is 76 draft picks - 43 of them hamburger flippers.

smuggler
05-11-2014, 01:07 PM
That's almost 50% hit rate, which in the NFL is at least solid. The first round could be better, that's for sure.

I don't like to see too much draft praise now. Prefer to see it in the class' third year.

My grades (Bell curve):

Vikes A-
Pack B-
Bears C
Lions D-

pbmax
05-11-2014, 06:39 PM
We can look back at drafts with hindsight...

2005, 11 picks - 8 crap, 3 players (Rodgers, Collins, and Poppinga)
2006, 12 picks - 8 crap, 4 players (Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Jolly)
2007, 11 picks - 7 crap, 2 players (James Jones and Bishop); the other 2 players were Brandon Jackson (sort of player, but certainly not worth a 2nd round pick; and Crosby.
2008, 9 picks - 4 crap, 4 players (Nelson, Finley, Sitton, and Flynn); the other decent player was Giacomini - who we decided to kick to the curb.
2009, 8 picks - 4 crap, 4 players (Raji, Matthews, Lang, and Brad Jones)
2010, 7 picks - 0 crap, 7 players (Pretty good draft - everyone contributed to some extent)
2011, 10 picks - 8 crap, 2 players (Randall Cobb, Devon House); Sherrod is still with the team - but will likely never contribute. Terrible draft.
2012, 8 picks - 4 crap, jury still out on everyone else

Last year looked like a pretty good draft. This year ???

From 2005 to 2012, that is 76 draft picks - 43 of them hamburger flippers.

Its a wonder they can win any games at all. I mean its not like we lack any other teams to compare these numbers to ....

And by the way, Ted's drafts with the worst grades have all been his drafts of BPA that ignored need. The closer you hew to the public perception of what you need, the better your grade. Regardless of intent, it looks like you agree with the pundits.

wist43
05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Its a wonder they can win any games at all. I mean its not like we lack any other teams to compare these numbers to ....

And by the way, Ted's drafts with the worst grades have all been his drafts of BPA that ignored need. The closer you hew to the public perception of what you need, the better your grade. Regardless of intent, it looks like you agree with the pundits.

I don't know what your point is... my point would be that Ted is about as effective as other GM's.

Rodgers masks a lot, and before him, Favre did; and MM is a very good HC - which TT gets credit for. TT has signed some UFA that have proven to be as good or better than any of his draft picks, sans Rodgers - Williams and Shields. In other very effective moves, Woodson and Pickett were well worth the FA $$ TT gave them.

Add it all up, we snuck off with 1 Lombardi Trophy, are competetive year in and year out b/c of Rodgers, good coaching (on offense anyway), and a pretty good core of players that TT has made sure to lock up with contracts. He's a pretty good GM - not a great one, but a pretty good one.

Pugger
05-11-2014, 08:14 PM

If Ted drafted for need did we really need 3 more WRs?

mraynrand
05-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Who has been better than TT during his tenure with GM? 2006-2013; which GM in football has had more success? 6 playoff appearances, 2 NFC championship games, 1 Super Bowl victory. Colbert, Belicheat and Newsome at most.

Pugger
05-11-2014, 08:17 PM
That's almost 50% hit rate, which in the NFL is at least solid. The first round could be better, that's for sure.

I don't like to see too much draft praise now. Prefer to see it in the class' third year.

My grades (Bell curve):

Vikes A-
Pack B-
Bears C
Lions D-

Of course it is a tad early to declare Sherrod, Perry and D. Jones busts.

Pugger
05-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Who has been better than TT during his tenure with GM? 2006-2013; which GM in football has had more success? 6 playoff appearances, 2 NFC championship games, 1 Super Bowl victory. Colbert, Belicheat and Newsome at most.

:clap:

mraynrand
05-11-2014, 08:31 PM

You write the stupidest stuff sometimes. 3-4 of the round 1-4 picks are still with the team. House and Sherrod are still unknowns. Smith Williams and Taylor all contributed. Injuries were a factor for three leaving the team.

You like to make blanket statements (e.g. "Capers plays 2-4 all the time") over and over and over and think that makes an argument and constitutes proof of your position.

TT is about well above 50% success in rounds 1-4; historically the NFL has about a 38% success rate in rounds 1-4 (players with significant starts).

Your story has become tiresome.

wist43
05-11-2014, 08:34 PM
If Ted drafted for need did we really need 3 more WRs?

Yeah, we did need WR's - in the last couple of years we've lost Jennings and Jones.

Before the draft, we only had 2 reliable receivers - Cobb and Nelson, and both of them are FA after this year. Boykin is unproven... yeah, we needed WR's.

We needed WR's, a Safety, a Center, TE, and ILB... kind of killed for need there I'd say ;)

Cheesehead Craig
05-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I think that given this was stated as a deep draft, it was very easy to pick for need as quality players were there for the taking.

wist43
05-11-2014, 08:41 PM
You write the stupidest stuff sometimes. 3-4 of the round 1-4 picks are still with the team. House and Sherrod are still unknowns. Smith Williams and Taylor all contributed. Injuries were a factor for three leaving the team.

You like to make blanket statements (e.g. "Capers plays 2-4 all the time") over and over and over and think that makes an argument and constitutes proof of your position.

TT is about well above 50% success in rounds 1-4; historically the NFL has about a 38% success rate in rounds 1-4 (players with significant starts).

Your story has become tiresome.

You're a homer's homer ayn... do you remember that someone actually posted a study that showed that dunderdummy played the 2-4 62% of the snaps in 2011?? lol... no other team was even close. It's simply a fact.

If you want to count Smith and Williams as "players"?? Be my guest ;)

You may be comfortable with fielding one of the worst defenses in the league - but I'm not.

wist43
05-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I think that given this was stated as a deep draft, it was very easy to pick for need as quality players were there for the taking.

I like players well enough... Thorton and Bradford are curious picks though. Given how dunderdummy game plans - what's the point behind either pick??

smuggler
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Just in case Daniels gets hurt? (because he's the only Dlineman achieving consistent passrush)

pbmax
05-11-2014, 09:37 PM
posted a study that showed that dunderdummy played the 2-4 62% of the snaps in 2011?? lol... no other team was even close. It's simply a fact.

And a meme was borne!

No context. No current data. Its a factoid. Slightly less useful than an ad hoc draft assessment.

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Man, the more I research Richard Rodgers the more I dislike that pick. I just can't drink the kool aid with this one. The guy is not athletic. He's not a great blocker. I know I'll be proven wrong, but I have a feeling this will go down as one of TT's worst picks. I totally understand most of the other picks (the homer in me wanted Brock Jensen with the last pick), but I'd rather have CB Pierre Desir, Aaron Colvin, or Walt Aikens OR NT DaQuan Jones or Justin Ellis or maybe ILB Jordan Tripp with that 3rd round pick.

smuggler
05-11-2014, 11:18 PM
DaQuan Jones was my guy there with that pick. I understand why they didn't take Desir. Colvin just tore his ACL a month ago and Aikens has serious character flags. I just don't see any reason to not like Jones or even Ellis (to a lesser extent).

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 01:00 AM
You're a homer's homer ayn... do you remember that someone actually posted a study that showed that dunderdummy played the 2-4 62% of the snaps in 2011?? lol... no other team was even close. It's simply a fact.

If you want to count Smith and Williams as "players"?? Be my guest ;)

You may be comfortable with fielding one of the worst defenses in the league - but I'm not.

2011? Really. I have 2013 data. And it says the 2-4 was used situational, not as base.

And yes, I am comfortable with the Packers fielding the worst defense in football. In fact, I welcome it. It gives the insane lunatic bloggers fodder to hatch conspiracy theories and rant without ceasing until their next joint.

wist43
05-12-2014, 05:21 AM
2011? Really. I have 2013 data. And it says the 2-4 was used situational, not as base.

And yes, I am comfortable with the Packers fielding the worst defense in football. In fact, I welcome it. It gives the insane lunatic bloggers fodder to hatch conspiracy theories and rant without ceasing until their next joint.

The broken window theory of economics ;)

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 06:38 AM
The broken window theory of economics ;)

gud one!

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QM3v8TgVwqk/hqdefault.jpg

denverYooper
05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
I have a feeling that if HHCD can reliably man the deep half of the field, I will feel a lot less dread when Green Bay's defense is out there.

And I feel pretty good about his fit with this team.

APRH.

ThunderDan
05-12-2014, 08:49 AM
I have a feeling that if HHCD can reliably man the deep half of the field, I will feel a lot less dread when Green Bay's defense is out there.

And I feel pretty good about his fit with this team.

APRH.

HHCD, that's what we are calling him on this board now?

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Man, the more I research Richard Rodgers the more I dislike that pick. I just can't drink the kool aid with this one. The guy is not athletic. He's not a great blocker. I know I'll be proven wrong, but I have a feeling this will go down as one of TT's worst picks. I totally understand most of the other picks (the homer in me wanted Brock Jensen with the last pick), but I'd rather have CB Pierre Desir, Aaron Colvin, or Walt Aikens OR NT DaQuan Jones or Justin Ellis or maybe ILB Jordan Tripp with that 3rd round pick.

I feel just the opposite, like everyone else I didn't like the pick until I started doing my research on the guy. Hes a natural pass catcher with huge hands who with just in a shitty situation at Cal. I also love the fact that his dad is a special teams coach in the NFL, that means he will have his shit together on specials teams and once he adds strength he'll become a good blocker. Of all the TEs left in the draft he had the most potential besides Lyerla whos a nut job. I also hear we could have gotten him later in the draft but we don't know that for sure, Ravens took a TE with a 7th round grade right after us. I don't think hes the next Finley but any means but I think he can become a Donald Lee type player for us.

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
^^^ You had me until 'Donald Lee'

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I don't think his game is like Donald Lees but he will have a Donald Lee type career, somehow he played 10 years in the NFL.

pbmax
05-12-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't think his game is like Donald Lees but he will have a Donald Lee type career, somehow he played 10 years in the NFL.

Donald Lee's career is a slam dunk compared to the eight year career of Tyrone Davis.

smuggler
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Donald Lee wasn't horrible. I'd hope for more from any draft pick, but we all know most draft picks never become what Donald Lee was. Some never even get close.

Fritz
05-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Hope it's not a David Martin career.

RashanGary
05-12-2014, 05:58 PM
One of the scouts in McGinns article said Rodgers has the best hands of all the TEs and if you look at the 2012 tape, he can block. He can block and catch. Meets the job requirements. He's my favorite pick. I have a feeling hes going to work well with AR and be the first reliable TE of the TT era.

Fritz
05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Bubba Franks?

mission
05-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Richard Rodgers looks like he has awesome hands and decent ability after the catch:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10911071

They even give him an actual handoff (not end around) in one of these highlights:
http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2014-Draft-Prospect---Richard-Rodgers-TE-Calif/bcfb4092-30da-4b85-96d8-eef7f54f3317

Love how he just flicks the ball to the ref after every play. Like: "yeah, I do this".

KYPack
05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Richard Rodgers looks like he has awesome hands and decent ability after the catch:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10911071

They even give him an actual handoff (not end around) in one of these highlights:
http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2014-Draft-Prospect---Richard-Rodgers-TE-Calif/bcfb4092-30da-4b85-96d8-eef7f54f3317

Love how he just flicks the ball to the ref after every play. Like: "yeah, I do this".

THX for that one, Mish.

Now I don't have to do it.

Notice he wears Rodgers II on his nameplate.

That could come in handy on this club.

That cool flip he does after he scores has "coaches kid" written all over it.

You can hear his old man saying "after you score, act like you've been there before".

Guiness
05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Good highlight reel, with the added bonus of not having some ridiculous epic music playing over it! The ball toss is nice.

It seems to me he looks awkward at times. First noticed it when he did that dive into the endzone, and I pick it up elsewhere, when he's going down, when he's trying to avoid a tackler. Worries me a bit.

bobblehead
05-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm confused. Usually I form my opinion on a pick by going against what the posters think. The board seems split on this kid. He will be very average.

wist43
05-12-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm confused. Usually I form my opinion on a pick by going against what the posters think. The board seems split on this kid. He will be very average.

lol...

I think the kid has tools... we'll see.

Bretsky
05-12-2014, 08:29 PM
:clap:

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

Bretsky
05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
I feel just the opposite, like everyone else I didn't like the pick until I started doing my research on the guy. Hes a natural pass catcher with huge hands who with just in a shitty situation at Cal. I also love the fact that his dad is a special teams coach in the NFL, that means he will have his shit together on specials teams and once he adds strength he'll become a good blocker. Of all the TEs left in the draft he had the most potential besides Lyerla whos a nut job. I also hear we could have gotten him later in the draft but we don't know that for sure, Ravens took a TE with a 7th round grade right after us. I don't think hes the next Finley but any means but I think he can become a Donald Lee type player for us.

I think he has a chance to be average

mission
05-12-2014, 08:32 PM
That cool flip he does after he scores has "coaches kid" written all over it.

You can hear his old man saying "after you score, act like you've been there before".

No doubt! You assume (hope?) that trait carries over into other areas of his preparation too.

I've always remembered our HS coach reaming out a future all-state RB after jumping up a bit after scoring a TD in a fall camp scrimmage. "Act like you've fucking done that before. You're expected to score TDs, it's nothing to get excited about." Sat him the rest of the scrimmage; kid ran for 300+ first game of the season after that.

I think we ran every TD ball directly to the ref for the rest of the season. And we scored a shitload of touchdowns. ;)

Monroe football, baby. :bow:

To Guiness' point... I see a bit of that awkwardness too. Maybe thinking a bit out there. Not sure if you can attribute that to just being slow, or new scheme, lack of football experience, etc... he's a young man who had a fluctuating body weight and and he kind of looks uncomfortable at times. Other times I see him making an acrobatic back shoulder catch and you think "ok this cat looks the part".

Guys like this maybe never had much of a shot in college, but can excel realizing they're in an offense with Rodgers, Nelson, Lacy, Cobb, Adams and dedicate themselves to the opportunity.

Dang guys, I really just love draft time and tend to see everyone succeeding until I know they won't. Definitely a draft homer so what do I know? Was a bit miffed about Thornton and this pick at first, but in TT we trust and all that.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm usually like that, but I just don't see it. Dude looks slow as molasses. I think this guy has a better chance of being the next Cory Rodgers (midround pick being cut his rookie year) than the next Jermichael Finley. I don't see how this guy is any better than the average-ness we already have at the position. I hope I'm wrong.

Bretsky
05-12-2014, 08:37 PM
For those who love to dwell on numbers...Rodgers 40 Yard Dash was .11 slower than Ryan Taylor

Bretsky
05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm usually like that, but I just don't see it. Dude looks slow as molasses. I think this guy has a better chance of being the next Cory Rodgers (midround pick being cut his rookie year) than the next Jermichael Finley. I don't see how this guy is any better than the average-ness we already have at the position. I hope I'm wrong.

I hope I'm wrong too; but it baffles me how we took this guy over some of the other players...many of which you noted. Based on what I've seen I'm just as high as Bostik

mission
05-12-2014, 08:44 PM
I hope I'm wrong too; but it baffles me how we took this guy over some of the other players...many of which you noted. Based on what I've seen I'm just as high as Bostik

Yes, maybe Bostik, but I think this guy has more skills than Quarless. At least in the passing game, don't know about blocking yet.

smuggler
05-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Watching him run, I get the same feeling I get when I watch Torrey Smith run... Man he just doesn't look like he's running all that fast, but I think the size of his body causes that illusion...

That's not to say Rodgers runs a 4.4, but more simply, he's running faster than it looks he is.

Didn't we draft Quarless in the 2nd round? Relatively, this guy has much better ball skills, but isn't as fleet of foot. He's bigger, though, and probably a more capable blocker.

I think the highest upside we could see from him is a poor man's Jimmy Graham (but with actual blocking skills), but I have no delusions in thinking that will ever come to be.

Bretsky
05-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Watching him run, I get the same feeling I get when I watch Torrey Smith run... Man he just doesn't look like he's running all that fast, but I think the size of his body causes that illusion...

That's not to say Rodgers runs a 4.4, but more simply, he's running faster than it looks he is.

Didn't we draft Quarless in the 2nd round? Relatively, this guy has much better ball skills, but isn't as fleet of foot. He's bigger, though, and probably a more capable blocker.

I think the highest upside we could see from him is a poor man's Jimmy Graham (but with actual blocking skills), but I have no delusions in thinking that will ever come to be.

I think Quarless was a 4th round pick.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Quarless was a 5th round pick. I was more impressed by Quarless than this guy coming out.

mission
05-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Quarless was a 5th round pick. I was more impressed by Quarless than this guy coming out.

I thought it was a horrible pick at first. He doesn't even look like a TE to me... he hasn't been bad, but his ceiling is incredibly low.

Joemailman
05-12-2014, 09:42 PM

If this guy came out too, why is Michael Sam getting all the press?

Bretsky
05-12-2014, 09:46 PM
I thought it was a horrible pick at first. He doesn't even look like a TE to me... he hasn't been bad, but his ceiling is incredibly low.

I liked our draft....think TT did a nice job. But I wasn't fond of round 3. I get the DL pick and if he can pull his head out of his asshole he has some real nice talent......I just don't get drafting a slow TE who's an average blocker at best in round 3. Most detested Borland due to the measurable. It least Borland has some extreme production. I hope I'm wrong but this is the pick that screamed desperation of needing a TE and needing it right there.

I think we were unlucky a few times during the draft.

I think we would have taken the ND Tight End in round 2 if he didn't go right before us......there were still nice WR's in round 3

And I think we were licking our chops at taking Louis Nix in round 3. Until Houston put some weights on their stones, traded in front of us and took him.

Overall I give the draft a high B mark though

RashanGary
05-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I think he has a few qualities that might be overlooked a little. The first is hands. Its been said he has the best hands in this tight ends class. The second is desire, coachability and want to. Maybe more than any position, tight end is a position where humility and want-to (do the dirty work) go a long way. He seems to have that, and the frame to play at 260-265. Ive also read that he has savvy in his route running, like just s feel for the game. He ran about the same as Finley.

Jason Witten plods around a little. Certainly doesnt look very fast. But he has very good ball skills and has savvy, getting open.

Aaron Rodgers likes guys he can trust. Richard Rodgers seems like a guy who can be trusted to be where hes supposed to be and then catch it when its thown. I just have a feeling he's going to fit really well with this team. He has more skill than talent, but it's the fit that i really like.

Its not like this guy is gonna see double coverage. if he can be counted on to block and navigate zone coverages in a way AR trusts, AR will be willing to toss him the rock and it sounds like hes pretty good at catching it so he'll make the most out of those opportunities and grow into a trusted pass option.

Joemailman
05-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I like the way Rodgers catches the ball. Catches it in stride so he's immediately ready to head downfield. As long as his route running is okay, Arod can utilize him. Not sure how his blocking will be as his playing weight will probably be different than what he played at the last 2 years. I don't see this pick as TT getting desperate and reaching for a TE. I see this as TT seeing upside that some others don't see.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Witten is 2 inches taller and much stronger than this Rodgers. I think Jace Amaro is the guy in this draft that most resembles Witten.

Carolina_Packer
05-13-2014, 06:01 AM
The last TE that they drafted this high in the draft is D.J. Williams R5 (141) TE 6-2 245 Arkansas

D.J. WILLIAMS, TE, ARKANSAS
AFC scout: "He's an H-back."

AFC scout: "He can run. He's more of the receiving type tight end."

NFC scout: "I really like him. He's more of a fourth-round pick but, man, I'll tell you, every time I saw him I was impressed. Games, Senior Bowl, combine. All he does is catch the ball."

A.J. Smith, San Diego: "He's legitimate."

Dale Strahm, Houston: "He's an H-back, slot, movement kind of guy. Not an on-the-line guy."

AFC scout: "He's kind of an H-back, fullback, off the line of scrimmage tight end. Great effort guy."

NFC scout: "Very good receiver. May have the best hands of the bunch. He's talented. He's like Dustin Keller (of) the Jets. He's going in the third round."

AFC scout: "Small. I don't know if you could line him up as an H-back in the backfield and lead (block) with him. Just a fourth-round kind of guy."

AFC scout: "He's more of an H-back. When I saw him I didn't think he was fast as he was."

compare him to

ROUND: 3, 98th overall
THE PICK: RICHARD RODGERS, TE, CALIFORNIA
AT A GLANCE: Age: 22. Height: 6-4. Weight: 257. Hometown: Worcester, Mass.

(3b.) RICHARD RODGERS, TE, CALIFORNIA
AFC scout: "Kind of a big wide receiver. Kept getting his weight up. Didn't run great. 4.8. That doesn't help him. He's in the fifth, sixth-round range. Not special in any way."

AFC scout: "I like him. I'm trying to hide him. If you go to 2012 film you can watch him block. He's got the best hands of the tight ends. He's 4.87. He's got a broken thumb. Our docs say he's OK."

NFC scout: "He's nothing at all."

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and you never really know when a prospect will hit or miss. I hope TT gets the last laugh on this one, but we won't know until he has a real chance. D.J. Williams never really took off and he won the Mackey Award coming out of Arkansas and came with a little more promise. We'll see if they either wasted their pick and should have drafted a better TE or if they saw something most everyone else did not. Hope it's the latter.

smuggler
05-13-2014, 06:28 AM
Yeah, but Rodgers is two inches taller and can play at 275... more of a traditional TE

RashanGary
05-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Harvey,

I'm asking myself "what did tt see to take this guy high in a deep draft?" Historically, teds best picks have been wtf picks. Collins, AR, Jennings, Matthews, Bahktiari, Flynn, etc.... Bahktiari is a good example and was the guy last year I liked best for where we took him. Why? Because when people tAlked about how he played, it was always glowing. Above all else he was an excellent blocker and the packers were hiring him to block. I thought his skills matched the job description, regardless of how his body looked. That's why you get good players later, because some cosmetic feature isn't there. R Rodgers is the best at catching the ball and from what I read he wants to block and has done it. So what he does on the football field meets the job description. For that reason, he's my wtf stud of this draft.

Carolina_Packer
05-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah, but Rodgers is two inches taller and can play at 275... more of a traditional TE

I totally agree, smuggler. I just put that info out there because I think it's strange how people react to things. When it comes down to it, the scouts were on this kid, studying him, and projecting his talent to the next level. They were not (I hope) throwing darts at a dart board. He'll either be the prospect equivalent of Alex Green, which turned out to be an overdraft (heh, banking puns) or he'll be a solid contributor in time.

Fritz
05-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Who knows or will know anytime soon? We can't even properly evaluate the 2011 draft class until we see if Sherrod can stay healthy and is good enough to start.

RashanGary
05-13-2014, 10:20 AM
My gut says TT has adjusted to the losses of his top guys and is conducting himself with the most confidence and authority that he has in his career. The impression I get as that he wakes up for this, that he still loves it and is so in tune with what he's doing that I sense he's about to put the cherry on the cake that is his legacy as GM. More than ever in the past, this is a draft of "football players." Outside of the late round CB and WR, all these guys have the look of being players. There are a lot of elite athletes in the HOF. Reggie White is the guy I think of first. There are SMS not so great athletes, Jerry Rice is the first one that comes to mind. There are no dummies who can't play football in the HOF. You can't "make up players" in a draft. More than ever I get the impression Ted took football players. We'd all like the next Reggie white, but those guys come along once a decade or so.

The feel I get from this draft, at first glance, is it's the most sound (from top to bottom) of Teds career. I could see five starters out of this group.

At first glance, I give it an A+. There are no Derrek, can't play Sherrods or Nick, athlete not football player, Perry's. It's all players, especially the higher picks.

Pugger
05-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I liked our draft....think TT did a nice job. But I wasn't fond of round 3. I get the DL pick and if he can pull his head out of his asshole he has some real nice talent......I just don't get drafting a slow TE who's an average blocker at best in round 3. Most detested Borland due to the measurable. It least Borland has some extreme production. I hope I'm wrong but this is the pick that screamed desperation of needing a TE and needing it right there.

I think we were unlucky a few times during the draft.

I think we would have taken the ND Tight End in round 2 if he didn't go right before us......there were still nice WR's in round 3

And I think we were licking our chops at taking Louis Nix in round 3. Until Houston put some weights on their stones, traded in front of us and took him.

Overall I give the draft a high B mark though

We don't need another blocking TE. By the 3rd round there weren't a lot of TEs left so I suppose Ted took the best of a sorry lot?

It was troubling to watch Nix tumble in the draft. I'm rather glad Ted passed.

Pugger
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
I think he has a few qualities that might be overlooked a little. The first is hands. Its been said he has the best hands in this tight ends class. The second is desire, coachability and want to. Maybe more than any position, tight end is a position where humility and want-to (do the dirty work) go a long way. He seems to have that, and the frame to play at 260-265. Ive also read that he has savvy in his route running, like just s feel for the game. He ran about the same as Finley.

Jason Witten plods around a little. Certainly doesnt look very fast. But he has very good ball skills and has savvy, getting open.

Aaron Rodgers likes guys he can trust. Richard Rodgers seems like a guy who can be trusted to be where hes supposed to be and then catch it when its thown. I just have a feeling he's going to fit really well with this team. He has more skill than talent, but it's the fit that i really like.

Its not like this guy is gonna see double coverage. if he can be counted on to block and navigate zone coverages in a way AR trusts, AR will be willing to toss him the rock and it sounds like hes pretty good at catching it so he'll make the most out of those opportunities and grow into a trusted pass option.

If his hands are as good as advertized it might be nice to have a TE that won't drop the ball. ;-)

wist43
05-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Who knows or will know anytime soon? We can't even properly evaluate the 2011 draft class until we see if Sherrod can stay healthy and is good enough to start.

3 year of nothing for a 1st round draft pick, and they refused to pick up his option?? Don't look good.

smuggler
05-13-2014, 07:01 PM
If he plays alright this year, we get a high talent backup on the cheap or a reasonable comp pick in 2016. If not, cut bait. It happens.

Pugger
05-14-2014, 12:45 AM
3 year of nothing for a 1st round draft pick, and they refused to pick up his option?? Don't look good.

Its difficult to play when your leg is broken in half. I recall Mike Flannagan had a horrible injury like this in the mid 90s and it took him 2+ years to come back - and he did - so I'm gonna wait and see if Sherrod can too this year.

mraynrand
05-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Its difficult to play when your leg is broken in half. I recall Mike Flannagan had a horrible injury like this in the mid 90s and it took him 2+ years to come back - and he did - so I'm gonna wait and see if Sherrod can too this year.

Not to mention gross malpractice by the KC hack.

woodbuck27
05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I don't know what your point is... my point would be that Ted is about as effective as other GM's.

Rodgers masks a lot, and before him, Favre did; and MM is a very good HC - which TT gets credit for. TT has signed some UFA that have proven to be as good or better than any of his draft picks, sans Rodgers - Williams and Shields. In other very effective moves, Woodson and Pickett were well worth the FA $$ TT gave them.

Add it all up, we snuck off with 1 Lombardi Trophy, are competetive year in and year out b/c of Rodgers, good coaching (on offense anyway), and a pretty good core of players that TT has made sure to lock up with contracts. He's a pretty good GM - not a great one, but a pretty good one.

I'd judge TT as a solid NFL GM.

Will his status increase?

I hope he provides enough for us Packer fans to enjoy another Super Bowl Championship win in the next three seasons. I'm truly hopeful.

GO PACK GO !

Brandon494
05-14-2014, 12:54 PM
I totally agree, smuggler. I just put that info out there because I think it's strange how people react to things. When it comes down to it, the scouts were on this kid, studying him, and projecting his talent to the next level. They were not (I hope) throwing darts at a dart board. He'll either be the prospect equivalent of Alex Green, which turned out to be an overdraft (heh, banking puns) or he'll be a solid contributor in time.

The problem with DJ was never his hands though. He just didn't have the height or strength to succeed at TE in the NFL.

Brandon494
05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
At first glance, I give it an A+. There are no Justin, can't play Harrell or Nick, athlete not football player, Perry's. It's all players, especially the higher picks.

Fixed! :-)

Also Nick Perry was aight last season when healthy...4 sacks 3 FF in 11 games. He was no stud but any means but he was looking good until he injured his foot.

pbmax
05-14-2014, 06:16 PM
At first glance, I give it an A+. There are no Derrek, can't play Sherrods or Nick, athlete not football player, Perry's. It's all players, especially the higher picks.

?

Let's see Ha-Ha shatter his tibia and fibula and then make an impact next year after having a second corrective surgery in the offseason. If he doesn't develop Packer Hamstrings, he needs to beat out Chris Banjo and Sean Richardson to take a starting job. Sherrod had to beat out Clifton and Bulaga and Newhouse. HHCD might have had the starting job when he changed planes in Chicago. If he plays below average he will be considered a savior.

Haven't seen the criticism that Perry is not a football player, just that his is not an OLB, but is a D lineman out of position.

I don't think either qualifies as not a football player like Jeremy Thompson or Mike Hawkins.

smuggler
05-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Thompson retired in his third season due to a neck injury, though. Why list him next to Hawkins who never even really wanted to play football, but was just an amazing athlete?

To put it into perspective... He's 28 RIGHT NOW.

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 05:26 AM
The last TE that they drafted this high in the draft is D.J. Williams R5 (141) TE 6-2 245 Arkansas

D.J. WILLIAMS, TE, ARKANSAS
AFC scout: "He's an H-back."

AFC scout: "He can run. He's more of the receiving type tight end."

NFC scout: "I really like him. He's more of a fourth-round pick but, man, I'll tell you, every time I saw him I was impressed. Games, Senior Bowl, combine. All he does is catch the ball."

A.J. Smith, San Diego: "He's legitimate."

Dale Strahm, Houston: "He's an H-back, slot, movement kind of guy. Not an on-the-line guy."

AFC scout: "He's kind of an H-back, fullback, off the line of scrimmage tight end. Great effort guy."

NFC scout: "Very good receiver. May have the best hands of the bunch. He's talented. He's like Dustin Keller (of) the Jets. He's going in the third round."

AFC scout: "Small. I don't know if you could line him up as an H-back in the backfield and lead (block) with him. Just a fourth-round kind of guy."

AFC scout: "He's more of an H-back. When I saw him I didn't think he was fast as he was."

compare him to

ROUND: 3, 98th overall
THE PICK: RICHARD RODGERS, TE, CALIFORNIA
AT A GLANCE: Age: 22. Height: 6-4. Weight: 257. Hometown: Worcester, Mass.

(3b.) RICHARD RODGERS, TE, CALIFORNIA
AFC scout: "Kind of a big wide receiver. Kept getting his weight up. Didn't run great. 4.8. That doesn't help him. He's in the fifth, sixth-round range. Not special in any way."

AFC scout: "I like him. I'm trying to hide him. If you go to 2012 film you can watch him block. He's got the best hands of the tight ends. He's 4.87. He's got a broken thumb. Our docs say he's OK."

NFC scout: "He's nothing at all."

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and you never really know when a prospect will hit or miss. I hope TT gets the last laugh on this one, but we won't know until he has a real chance. D.J. Williams never really took off and he won the Mackey Award coming out of Arkansas and came with a little more promise. We'll see if they either wasted their pick and should have drafted a better TE or if they saw something most everyone else did not. Hope it's the latter.

Yes we all do as we need more at TE. We need a TE that can pick it up for us in the Red Zone.

That can battle and bring in a tough catch and certainly can block well.

mraynrand
05-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Thompson retired in his third season due to a neck injury, though. Why list him next to Hawkins who never even really wanted to play football, but was just an amazing athlete?

To put it into perspective... He's 28 RIGHT NOW.

I have Mike Hawkins listed as 30 - born in 1983. He is doing well - about half way along on his physics doctorate, studying dark matter.

Google search "Mike Hawkins Packers Corner" - second hit is packerrats! http://packerrats.com/archive/index.php/t-2168.html

pbmax
05-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Thompson did not seem to be advancing or have a place with the Packers prior to the injury. There was some reporting that OLB would suit him better, but not much developed there either.

Hawkins was precisely a great athlete who could not find a place on an NFL roster. These are people, to my mind, who did not become effective professional football players. I don't think that describes Perry or Sherrod.

denverYooper
05-15-2014, 09:11 AM
I have Mike Hawkins listed as 30 - born in 1983. He is doing well - about half way along on his physics doctorate, studying dark matter.

Google search "Mike Hawkins Packers Corner" - second hit is packerrats! http://packerrats.com/archive/index.php/t-2168.html

So he's about 4 years in?

mraynrand
05-15-2014, 10:31 AM
So he's about 4 years in?

More like 1/3. There's been some issues with the mine shaft elevator.

pbmax
05-15-2014, 11:24 AM
More like 1/3. There's been some issues with the mine shaft elevator.

I worry about the mine shaft gap.

denverYooper
05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
I worry about the mine shaft gap.

You think the Soviets have enough females to keep up at that ratio? Most of women have come over here in the mail-order bride program.

pbmax
05-15-2014, 12:02 PM
You think the Soviets have enough females to keep up at that ratio? Most of women have come over here in the mail-order bride program.

Capitalism 1, Autocratic Oligarchy 0

I do think there is a dashboard cam deficit though.

Guiness
05-15-2014, 12:04 PM
+1 thread drift...

smuggler
05-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Sorry I meant to say that Thompson, not Hawkins, was 28.

hoosier
05-15-2014, 01:21 PM
+1 thread drift...

You clearly are not seeing the connection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlIJLrFFJI

QBME
05-15-2014, 01:42 PM
You clearly are not seeing the connection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlIJLrFFJI

;-)

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Sorry but....Back to the 2014 draft and grading.

It was my observation that TT and the Packers did well. He lost focus in Round Three and certainly could have brought the packers more fruits there as the talent existed and one other later pick was rather weak as I saw it but overall he did very well.

His best pick might have been in round two as I can see WR Rookie Davante Adams soon being a favourite Aaron Rodgers target .

An interesting watch for me will be TT's 1st Rd. pick @ #21 FS Hasean "Ha Ha" Clinton - Dix Vs. the San Fran 49ers #30 pick SS Jimmie Ward.

I believe that the san Fran 49ers again had a very strong draft. Pick after pick they certainly appeared to nail it and were graded accordingly. If the Packers draft was rightfully graded in the "A" range the San Fran 49ers deserved an A+.

The Minnesota Vikings Oakland Raiders and I'll include the Jacksonville Jag's as well as having superior drafts considering all information available to us.

The bottom line. I believe that Ted Thompson added strength to our roster where the need was. TT didn't draft BPA. He was prudent IMO and tried his best to satisfy the Green Bay Packers needs. He did a nice job. :-)

GO PACK GO !

hoosier
05-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Woodbuck, TTs third round priorities were obviously different from the way the pundits had things going down. Why do you automatically assume that means that TT was wrong. What if he knows something they don't know? Why aren't you willing to give some benefit of the doubt to people who get paid to evaluate college football talent, who have spent most of their adult lives doing it and who have proven records of success?

Joemailman
05-15-2014, 09:24 PM
The later you go in the draft, the more you are drafting players who have a significant weakness in their game. So you're looking for players whose strong points are a good fit for your system, and whose weak points won't be that significant. Teams will therefore grade certain players quite differently from other teams. I believe that TT had a 3rd round grade or early 4th round grade on Rodgers even though other teams and "Experts" might have graded him lower than that. If TT had a 5th round grade on Rodgers, he would have waited until the 5th round to take him. If Rodgers was gone, he would have taken someone else. That's the way he works.

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Woodbuck, TTs third round priorities were obviously different from the way the pundits had things going down. Why do you automatically assume that means that TT was wrong. What if he knows something they don't know? Why aren't you willing to give some benefit of the doubt to people who get paid to evaluate college football talent, who have spent most of their adult lives doing it and who have proven records of success?

I'm pleased with TT's performance in this draft.

I'm dedicated to at least trying to understand TT's moves.

TT for the most part or generally "picked for need' this 2014 draft.

Again overall he did very well and I'm pleased to feel that way.

woodbuck27
05-16-2014, 05:55 AM

I slept on your post:

TT certainly is the architect of the Green Bay Packers and through some inner circle consultation surely knows what's best to pick to achieve his goals.

I weigh that Vs the many so called NFL experts that measure one prospect Vs all others and make projections as to ie when a certain prospect is most likely to be drafted.

I digest all that and simply try to make some sence of TT's moves as pertinent to improving the team on a more or less likely basis.

Maybe? ...look at an article like this and see if this author was out to lunch or rather close in his analysis as _Packer options for the Day Two (Round Two) picks in the 2014 Draft. There is so much available like this to help us all be more informed and capable of being valid and on top of it.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/green_bay_packers_sign_wr_jeff_janis_cut_cb_james_ nixon/16472434?linksrc=story_team_green_bay_packers_auto _module_head_16472434

Green Bay Packers: Five Realistic Options For Round 2 of 2014 NFL Draft

Posted on May 9, 2014

By: Chris Peterson

I'd add something like this:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/green_bay_packers_sign_wr_jeff_janis_cut_cb_james_ nixon/16472434?linksrc=story_team_green_bay_packers_auto _module_head_16472434

I'm by nature analytical and use a lifetime of gaining some skill there to assess Ted Thompson's drafts. I read a load of material to ensure that I'm more or less acquainted with what's going on. To be confident of my positions.

Am I correct in those positions? Time always gives me the answer to that question and I use such to grow and become more knowledgeable. I'm not prejudiced against TT on a per move basis.if he does good and I see that I'm happy as a Packer fan.

Otherwise and I may take a stance.

Just Jeff
05-16-2014, 07:02 AM

If you question is not rhetorical, I'll guess, because its a fan forum and that's what we do.

woodbuck27
05-16-2014, 07:16 AM
If you question is not rhetorical, I'll guess, because its a fan forum and that's what we do.

Yes.

Fritz
05-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Funny, there was an article somewhere in the GBPG, maybe, about draft grades from 2011 just coming in. Green Bay got a "D," with Randall Cobb being the only hit, but Ryan Taylor and Davon House barely hanging on and Sherrod trying to see if he can even play.

Does getting a star player and not much else get you only a "D"? Is that correct?

MadScientist
05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Funny, there was an article somewhere in the GBPG, maybe, about draft grades from 2011 just coming in. Green Bay got a "D," with Randall Cobb being the only hit, but Ryan Taylor and Davon House barely hanging on and Sherrod trying to see if he can even play.

Does getting a star player and not much else get you only a "D"? Is that correct?
Does Cobb even qualify as a star? He was 3/4 receiver until last year, and was injured half of that season. He's a dynamic player, but not so much of a difference maker to up the grade of the draft. Nobody is fawning over the 2011 draft now they way they were in may of 2011.

smuggler
05-23-2014, 08:24 AM
I'd say one player from 9 picks is a D, yes Fritz.

The NFL is an injury-defined league. Where was that star player for most of last season? On the bench with an injury.

How many players from the 2011 draft were there to account for his absence? Not many, because it was a bad draft. You win some (2013), you lose some (2011).

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 08:38 AM

I'd say that's about right but if it's a "D" or a "C -" does it really change the water on the beans? As Packer fans we'll long remember Aaron Rodgers long to Randall Cobb and in behind the Chicago Bears secondary....TD !

Packers win! Packers win !! ..... PACKERS WIN !!!

Packers go into the Season 2013 playoff.

I hope so much that Derek Sherrod can finally give something to TT for his pick and confidence in that.

Grades don't win Conference Championships >>>Super Bowls. Big plays by star players do.

Strong OL play that protects star QBs really helps.

MadScientist
05-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Grades don't win Conference Championships >>>Super Bowls. Big plays by star players do.

Strong OL play that protects star QBs really helps.
Grades right after the draft don't win championships. Grades 3 years later reflect not winning a championship, and and the lack of contribution leading to not winning championships.

Strong OL play ... we could use some of that around here.

Pugger
05-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Does Cobb even qualify as a star? He was 3/4 receiver until last year, and was injured half of that season. He's a dynamic player, but not so much of a difference maker to up the grade of the draft. Nobody is fawning over the 2011 draft now they way they were in may of 2011.

He may not be elite but his absence last season really hurt. I don't think it was a coincidence that the offense improved with him back in the lineup. IMO Nelson is a star. He continued to produce even with Wallace, Tolzien and Flynn throwing him the ball.

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
He may not be elite but his absence last season really hurt. I don't think it was a coincidence that the offense improved with him back in the lineup. IMO Nelson is a star. He continued to produce even with Wallace, Tolzien and Flynn throwing him the ball.

That speaks mountains RE: his exceptional athleticism.

QUESTION:

If you had to lose Randall Cobb or Jordy Nelson to FA in 2015.

Which loss would pressure Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers worse?

Fritz
05-23-2014, 11:15 AM
I'd say one player from 9 picks is a D, yes Fritz.

The NFL is an injury-defined league. Where was that star player for most of last season? On the bench with an injury.

How many players from the 2011 draft were there to account for his absence? Not many, because it was a bad draft. You win some (2013), you lose some (2011).

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. Just wondering if you include Taylor as a ST guy and House as a backup whether that makes any difference, and if Sherrod should win a starting job whether that grade could still change, or if people feel it's safe to say that draft was a Thompson Turd.

mraynrand
05-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm not necessarily disagreeing. Just wondering if you include Taylor as a ST guy and House as a backup whether that makes any difference, and if Sherrod should win a starting job whether that grade could still change, or if people feel it's safe to say that draft was a Thompson Turd.

not quite yet, but if House and Sherrod don't contribute, yeah, it's a Davenport Special.

Guiness
05-23-2014, 01:11 PM

It can still be reviewed, but at this point it's a C-, based on Cobb and some play out of House. You can't disregard his contribution, although no one is happy with his play, he's still on the team 3 years later, which I think is the average length of an NFL career? He played 44% of the D snaps and 68% of the ST snaps last year. He was an important role player and backup.

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 03:15 PM

I want more out of a full draft than what we got in 2011

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 03:17 PM
We don't need another blocking TE. By the 3rd round there weren't a lot of TEs left so I suppose Ted took the best of a sorry lot?

It was troubling to watch Nix tumble in the draft. I'm rather glad Ted passed.

I'm torn on Nix; I wanted NOTHING to do with him in round one or two. But I give Houston a ton of credit for trading ahead of us to get him in round 3. I was one of his detractors but even I think getting him that late was a great move

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm torn on Nix; I wanted NOTHING to do with him in round one or two. But I give Houston a ton of credit for trading ahead of us to get him in round 3. I was one of his detractors but even I think getting him that late was a great move

I think they got value in Nix there.

If he matures he could be a solid pick.

run pMc
05-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I think giving the 2011 draft a D grade is fair. Cobb is pretty good, but you need more than one player turning into starter to make it to a C or better.
House has teased, and Taylor is good on ST but replaceable. Yes, if Sherrod can come back from a horrific injury and contribute then the grade improves.

mraynrand
05-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I think they got value in Nix there.

If he matures he could be a solid pick.

If my mother had wheels, she'd be a wagon. Wait and see.

Fritz
05-24-2014, 08:42 AM

See, this is what I've never really understood. So you didn't like Nix, you were a big detractor - you went on record that he was/is nothing but another slug.

Yet had the Packers picked him....in the third round - you'd have been happy to get him? And you applaud Houston for even trading up ahead of the Packers? So I take that to mean that if TT had traded up and gotten Nix earlier in the third than he got Thornton, you'd have been happy?

I don't get that. You didn't like Nix, but you thought he'd have been good to get in the third round.

Can you 'splain?

Pugger
05-24-2014, 08:55 AM
That speaks mountains RE: his exceptional athleticism.

QUESTION:

If you had to lose Randall Cobb or Jordy Nelson to FA in 2015.

Which loss would pressure Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers worse?

If I HAD to chose I'd go with Nelson. Of course Cobb is much younger...I hope we can keep them both so this entire notion will end up being moot.