PDA

View Full Version : Abbrederis or Janis?

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 09:19 AM
There is a great chance we only keep 5 WRs this season with Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Boykins being locks. If YOU had to make the decision who would you pick? The pro ready hometown guy with some injury concerns or the small school athletic guy who has star potential but might be a season or two away.

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Training camp eval then try to hide one on the PS until Cleveland comes knocking. Suspect Abracadabra will make it because he will know the offense and play smart football.

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 09:34 AM
I doubt we'll be able to hide either player on the PS, I think it will come down to special teams. Abbrederis was the higher pick but Janis was projected to go higher, it will be a interesting battle for sure.

pbmax
05-12-2014, 09:46 AM
HIs head worries me. With the Packers approach to injuries, he is going to be on the sidelines a lot.

Guiness
05-12-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't know I'd call Boykin a lock, or so quick to write off Myles White. A big knock on White was his slight build, but after an off-season of work he's reported to have put on 10lbs and is a respectable 6' 190lbs now.

What's up with Saginaw Valley State, btw? If Janis makes the Packers, that's 2 players from there (Jeff Heath, Cowboys FS) in the NFL, you don't often see that out of a Div II team! Especially one who's most notable athletic achievement of late seems to be the USBC Men's National Collegiate Bowling championship!

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Trust me Boykin is a lock and them taking three WRs in the draft tells you what they think about White or any of the other WRs on the practice squad.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Trust me Boykin is a lock and them taking three WRs in the draft tells you what they think about White or any of the other WRs on the practice squad.

You might be right. Maybe they felt the need to upgrade that position over what they had so maybe we can keep both on the 53.

Zool
05-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Abba Zabba and Myles White will do battle for the "lightest players in training camp". Both of them get knocked down by a stiff breeze and blow away never to be heard from again. The homer in me would like to see Abba Zabba make the team, but I'm not hopeful.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
How come everyone laments about Abbrederis being a light weight at 6'1" and 195 lbs but not Janis at 6'3" and 219 lbs? I've seen pictures of both and they seem to be of similar build.

Guiness
05-12-2014, 10:50 AM

I was as surprised as any when the Packers took 3 WRs. I felt like 1 was good, then let the holdovers from last year, White, Gillett, Harper and Dorsey compete for the last spot. But we all know that you have to throw a few darts at the board to get a hit, I also remember the reaction to drafting Flynn in the 7th after taking Brohm with a 2nd round pick...

Pugger
05-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I was as surprised as any when the Packers took 3 WRs. I felt like 1 was good, then let the holdovers from last year, White, Gillett, Harper and Dorsey compete for the last spot. But we all know that you have to throw a few darts at the board to get a hit, I also remember the reaction to drafting Flynn in the 7th after taking Brohm with a 2nd round pick...

Well, with how horrid Brohm was it was a good thing we took Flynn later on. :pack:

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
How come everyone laments about Abbrederis being a light weight at 6'1" and 195 lbs but not Janis at 6'3" and 219 lbs? I've seen pictures of both and they seem to be of similar build.

Abbrederis has a history of conclusions and only put up 4 bench reps at the combine...lowest of all combine participants. Janis put up 20 bench reps and Ted said he had him ranked as the 2nd best athlete out of all the WRs in this draft.

smuggler
Cobb and Nelson are both due for extensions next season, and it might be that we can only keep one...

Joemailman
Abby makes it on his kick and punt return abilities.

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Just watched video from both their combines and they both had double catching the ball in the drills...smh.

Patler
05-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Cobb and Nelson are both due for extensions next season, and it might be that we can only keep one...

I think Boykin's contract will be up, too; although he will be a RFA. Even so, if they manage to sign both Cobb and Nelson to extensions, they might be happy to have another three still on their rookie contracts rather than paying what it might cost to keep Boykin under an RFA tender.

Patler
05-12-2014, 11:15 AM

What are the chances that he makes it out of camp not on IR?

Guiness
05-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Not a chance. He'll literally get torn in half.

Patler
05-12-2014, 11:28 AM

I think 2" and 20+ lbs can make a lot of difference when comparing their bodies to those of the DBs they will be facing. Janis will be taller and heavier than a great many of the DBs he will face; Abbrederis, not so much.

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 11:53 AM

White will be praying to the god of skinny punks that he makes the roster. So will Abracadabra.

Freak Out
05-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Not sure about the two mentioned in the poll....I like Janis more though. I just hope that White is not on the team come fall.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Janis = Charles Johnson 2.0

Bossman641
05-12-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd prefer Janis or Chris Harper make it over Abbrederis or White for size reasons alone.

Guiness
05-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Janis = Charles Johnson 2.0

Similar type prospect. Who knows what CJ could have been or might yet be though. The Browns are down two starting WRs, if he's healed he should get a long look in camp.

Fritz
05-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I think 2" and 20+ lbs can make a lot of difference when comparing their bodies to those of the DBs they will be facing. Janis will be taller and heavier than a great many of the DBs he will face; Abbrederis, not so much.

I vote Janis. Local boy, and on a recent radio interview on a local Detroit station he was asked who he patterned himself after. He said Jordy Nelson. Of course, they are both pretty fast white men.

Joemailman
05-12-2014, 04:03 PM

On this team? Probably no worse than about 15 other guys.

MadScientist
05-12-2014, 04:22 PM

From the latest 'Ask Vic' column:

Janis and Abbrederis were on my planes to and from the Senior Bowl and coming back from the combine. I was stunned at how much bigger Janis is than Abbrederis. Janis really looks the part and he runs 4.4. Why was he available? Probably because he’s coming out of a small school in one of the deepest wide receiver drafts ever.

So at least to someone who has seen them both at the same time, Janis looks bigger. Janis needs to refine his skills, Abbrederis needs to refine (redefine) his body. Nether is a sure thing, but hopefully at least one is up to the task.

Cheesehead Craig
05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Abracadabra. Yeah I'm a homer in this case.

mission
05-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Abbrederis has a history of conclusions and only put up 4 bench reps at the combine...lowest of all combine participants. Janis put up 20 bench reps and Ted said he had him ranked as the 2nd best athlete out of all the WRs in this draft.

The difference between 4 reps and 20 is the difference between me and a football player! :lol:

I'll root for Abbrederis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Janis opens some eyes and is healthier, landing him a spot.

Guiness
05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
The difference between 4 reps and 20 is the difference between me and a football player! :lol:

I'll root for Abbrederis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Janis opens some eyes and is healthier, landing him a spot.

That 4 reps is scary low, but I have some empathy. My bench #s always sucked, and search me why. I spent enough time in the gym, my other lifts were ok, but I struggled to get to 225 on the bench, forget doing reps, search me why. I didn't lack for strength on the field, so it's not like it's a direct relationship.

mission
05-12-2014, 06:18 PM
That 4 reps is scary low, but I have some empathy. My bench #s always sucked, and search me why. I spent enough time in the gym, my other lifts were ok, but I struggled to get to 225 on the bench, forget doing reps, search me why. I didn't lack for strength on the field, so it's not like it's a direct relationship.

I was in the same boat... could squat out of the gym and had to do legs with the linemen. We had a lot of guys maxing over 300 on the bench... I put up maybe 3 reps at the height of my training with 225, but would be hard pressed to do one now. I don't work out anymore. I threw up 185 at my buddies house just messing around a few times. Hopefully I could still push the double plates once. You'd think Abbrederis could do more just going through college programs, but arm length and all of that factors in a lot as well.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 06:22 PM

I guess I'm wrong! I was reading the opinion column on packers.com and Vic said both Abbrederis and Janis were on the same airplane he was going to the Senior Bowl and he was shocked at how much bigger Janis was when he got to see them side by side.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 06:23 PM

I'd be very surprised if Ted didn't try like hell to keep 'em both.

woodbuck27
05-16-2014, 05:13 AM
After some careful thought and analysis. If I had to guess which of these two Rookie prospects will make the Final 53:

I'd say it will be the heavier and faster and stronger one. The more athletic one and that tells me it should be:

WR Jeff Janis....This might be TT's Diamond In the Rough Ego pick.

A few knocks on Jeff Janis:

a) the size of his hands

b) The competition Janis faced in College Vs Abbrederis's schools competition being superior.

c) Jeff Janis may play softer than his strength and size might promise.

It appears as if Abbrederis is mentally tough and mature to get the job done.

The bottom line or who makes the final Roster @ WR?

I have two locks there now or Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

Jarrett Boykin very probably earned "a ticket to ride" based on his play last season.

My message would be the rest of the spots are wide open...and let "the best men" win.

denverYooper
05-16-2014, 08:42 AM
BRING BLACK ABBERJANIS!

Joemailman
05-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I think I know who wins the arm wrestling competition.

http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2014/02-february/140224-abbrederis-300.jpghttp://dy.snimg.com/story-image/3/43/4572914/218818-375-264.jpg

hoosier
05-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Janis or Abbrederis? Yes please!!

bobblehead
05-16-2014, 09:25 PM

Hoosier? Or did Harlan get your password?

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 10:37 PM

It's gettin' crazy round here at Packerrats!

http://www.theviewscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/turnaboutintruder1-300x227.jpg
http://www.davidmack.pro/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/0324_P_large.jpg

BZnDallas
05-16-2014, 11:48 PM
I'll take Janis but I'm rooting for ABBAderis. Love the toughness and savy he shows on the field. Hope he can stay healthy

Carolina_Packer
05-17-2014, 06:56 AM
After some careful thought and analysis. If I had to guess which of these two Rookie prospects will make the Final 53:

I'd say it will be the heavier and faster and stronger one. The more athletic one and that tells me it should be:

WR Jeff Janis....This might be TT's Diamond In the Rough Ego pick.

A few knocks on Jeff Janis:

a) the size of his hands

b) The competition Janis faced in College Vs Abbrederis's schools competition being superior.

c) Jeff Janis may play softer than his strength and size might promise.

It appears as if Abbrederis is mentally tough and mature to get the job done.

The bottom line or who makes the final Roster @ WR?

I have two locks there now or Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

Jarrett Boykin very probably earned "a ticket to ride" based on his play last season.

My message would be the rest of the spots are wide open...and let "the best men" win.

Good post. I'm with you Woody, let the best men win the 5-6 WR spots.

84 Abbrederis, Jared WR 6-1 195 23 R Wisconsin
17 Adams, Davante WR 6-1 212 21 R Fresno State
11 Boykin, Jarrett WR 6-2 218 24 3 Virginia Tech
18 Cobb, Randall WR 5-10 192 23 4 Kentucky
6 Dorsey, Kevin WR 6-1 207 24 2 Maryland
1 Gillett, Alex WR 6-1 214 23 1 Eastern Michigan
13 Harper, Chris WR 6-1 228 24 2 Kansas State
83 Janis, Jeff WR 6-3 219 22 R Saginaw Valley State
87 Nelson, Jordy WR 6-3 217 28 7 Kansas State
19 White, Myles WR 6-0 182 24 2 Louisiana Tech

I'm excited to see what Chris Harper can do with an entire off-season, and who even knows about Kevin Dorsey? Looks like some good competition and that always helps.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 07:43 AM
^^^ Myles White is 190 now!

Carolina_Packer
05-17-2014, 01:27 PM
^^^ Myles White is 190 now!

Fixed!

19 White, Myles WR 6-0 190 24 2 Louisiana Tech (He super-sized a few meals I see)

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 01:36 PM
I'd be willing to bet Myles White has a Donald Driveresque 4% level of body fat.

red
05-17-2014, 05:01 PM
i think we go 6 deep at WR this year and keep both guys

chances are 1 or 2 of the group is gonna be lost for a large chunk of the year, and our TE's are a group of suck holes when it comes to catching the ball. so, keep more wr's and run more 5 wr sets

Rutnstrut
05-17-2014, 09:01 PM
When one of your biggest concerns for new player are hoping he can stay healthy, GB is NOT the place for that player. I really like Abbrederis, but he's doomed in Green Bay.

Joemailman
05-17-2014, 09:12 PM
i think we go 6 deep at WR this year and keep both guys

chances are 1 or 2 of the group is gonna be lost for a large chunk of the year, and our TE's are a group of suck holes when it comes to catching the ball. so, keep more wr's and run more 5 wr sets

Run 5 WR sets when you have Lacy? Not likely. Packers didn't even run 4 WR sets that much last year. They might keep 6 WR's, but it will just depend on how well they perform in training camp/preseason. TT will try to keep the best 53 players as much as is possible. It all depends on how good the 6th guy is.

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 09:21 PM
We didn't run many 4-5 WR sets last season because of injuries to Rodgers, Finley, Cobb, and Jones.

Joemailman
05-17-2014, 09:54 PM
We didn't run many 4-5 WR sets last season because of injuries to Rodgers, Finley, Cobb, and Jones.

Not having Finley would probably make the Packers more likely to use 4-5 WR's, not less. And not having Rodgers didn't seem to matter because the Packers actually ran the ball more with Rodgers than without. When you have a back like Lacy, you're not going to take him off the field very often for a 5 WR set. The injury to Cobb may have had an impact, but I still think with Lacy you'll see fewer 4-5 WR sets than you saw in the past.

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Not having Finley would probably make the Packers more likely to use 4-5 WR's, not less. And not having Rodgers didn't seem to matter because the Packers actually ran the ball more with Rodgers than without. When you have a back like Lacy, you're not going to take him off the field very often for a 5 WR set. The injury to Cobb may have had an impact, but I still think with Lacy you'll see fewer 4-5 WR sets than you saw in the past.

The reason we didn't run many 4-5 WR sets had to so with lack of personnel. Finley lined up as a WR in those 4-5 WR sets, they didn't leave him on the sidelines. At one point we really had only Nelson and Boykin so of course we aren't going to run 4-5 WR sets. Obviously Rodgers mattered, hes a top 3 QB in the league. Only reason Lacy ran more with Rodgers in the line up was to run the clock down with the lead. Lacy or no Lacy if we have talent at the WR position we are going to continue to see those 4-5 WR sets with Rodgers at QB.

Pugger
05-18-2014, 08:29 AM
I read on the GB Press-Gazette website that Abbrederis was the best guy there fielding punts and kicks - even better than Adams - during the rookie camp so this might be where he earns his stripes.

Brandon494
05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
I read on the GB Press-Gazette website that Abbrederis was the best guy there fielding punts and kicks - even better than Adams - during the rookie camp so this might be where he earns his stripes.

Adams wasn't a return man in college so I would hope Abby is better. I was mentioning how I didn't like how Abby's was a body catcher but for catching punts thats a good thing. I knows its early but unless an injury occurs I think he's pretty much locked up the punt return job.

red
05-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Adams wasn't a return man in college so I would hope Abby is better. I was mentioning how I didn't like how Abby's was a body catcher but for catching punts thats a good thing. I knows its early but unless an injury occurs I think he's pretty much locked up the punt return job.

i think his returning is a pretty big reason as to why he was even drafted. for kick returns, with all the new rules and the nfl trying to eliminate the return, you just need a smart guy back there to catch the ball and know when not to bring it out of the end zone (a luxury we didn't have early last season)

woodbuck27
05-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Good post. I'm with you Woody, let the best men win the 5-6 WR spots.

84 Abbrederis, Jared WR 6-1 195 23 R Wisconsin
17 Adams, Davante WR 6-1 212 21 R Fresno State
11 Boykin, Jarrett WR 6-2 218 24 3 Virginia Tech
18 Cobb, Randall WR 5-10 192 23 4 Kentucky
6 Dorsey, Kevin WR 6-1 207 24 2 Maryland
1 Gillett, Alex WR 6-1 214 23 1 Eastern Michigan
13 Harper, Chris WR 6-1 228 24 2 Kansas State
83 Janis, Jeff WR 6-3 219 22 R Saginaw Valley State
87 Nelson, Jordy WR 6-3 217 28 7 Kansas State
19 White, Myles WR 6-0 182 24 2 Louisiana Tech

I'm excited to see what Chris Harper can do with an entire off-season, and who even knows about Kevin Dorsey? Looks like some good competition and that always helps.

That makes sense. That adds legitimacy to TC and competition and should add "the REAL" that brings out the best in everyone in camp.

It has to be:

A privilege to be a Green Bay Packer.

Patler
08-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Apparently zero. He didn't last a week.

Pugger
08-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Abby is done for the season with that knee. Hopefully Janis' shingles are better and he can start to practice tomorrow.

Carolina_Packer
08-03-2014, 12:04 PM
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-topic-overview Hmm, if it is shingles, that's a bit unusual for a younger person to contract. I guess it can be painful. Since Abby is out for the year, I hope that Janis can get better soon and make his mark, although, I'm hoping that they don't really need his production, if you know what I mean.

Guiness
08-03-2014, 12:17 PM
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-topic-overview Hmm, if it is shingles, that's a bit unusual for a younger person to contract. I guess it can be painful. Since Abby is out for the year, I hope that Janis can get better soon and make his mark, although, I'm hoping that they don't really need his production, if you know what I mean.

It's becoming more common at a younger age, a knock-on effect of the chicken pox vaccine. Less people getting chicken pox means you have exposure to it, less immunity built up. If you've already had chicken pox, this give the virus (that you carry for life) an opportunity to flare up again when your immunity is low.

This could have a long term effect. If he gets a bad case, it can affect eyesight by giving you light sensitivity.