PDA

View Full Version : The its so early ots both awesome and stupid thread, which 5-6 WR make the 53.

Just Jeff
05-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Alot of people on both sides in the valor of picking 3 WR with other needs barely addressed. I happen to think that anything more than Adams was a waste of a pick and I'm not completely certain that I would have taken him in the 2nd. We'll keep 6 and have 4-5 that won't suit up for the Packers. I know that the draft was supposedly deep at WR, but I really came away with those 3 picks as the weakest part of what we did.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin are locks, after that I don't see anything but developemnt players. I think the only reason to keep Janis is his height, Abberodonis to placate Wisco people.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 10:21 AM
This thread is proof that Ted doesn't necessarily draft for need. We didn't need 3 WRs so evidently when our turn to select came up and we had nobody willing to make a trade that made sense for us Ted picked the kid that was the highest on his board at that point in the draft irregardless of the position he played.

MadScientist
05-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Boykin is not necessarily a lock, though I don't expect him to be beaten by both Janis and Abbrederis. That said, I think Janis sticks if he can catch consistently and Abbrederis is cut, or goes on IR after he gets broken it two by a saftey in the first PS game.

Pugger
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Boykin is not necessarily a lock, though I don't expect him to be beaten by both Janis and Abbrederis. That said, I think Janis sticks if he can catch consistently and Abbrederis is cut, or goes on IR after he gets broken it two by a saftey in the first PS game.

Like I said in another thread here - what makes you think Janis is this brute compared to Abbrederis? If you look at them they are both of similar build.

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm 99.9% sure Boykin is a lock.

Brandon494
05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Like I said in another thread here - what makes you think Janis is this brute compared to Abbrederis? If you look at them they are both of similar build.

I answered that question for you in the other thread. :-)

Guiness
05-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Are you related to Boykin? :mrgreen:

Patler
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
They are developmental players until one of the top four breaks a bone and another pulls a hamstring. Then one of those developmental players is playing meaningful snaps in a regular season game. We've seen that happen most years.

They are developmental players until next year when one or more of Nelson & Cobb gets too pricey to re-sign, or the numbers don't work for Boykin as an RFA, or one of the regulars from this season starts 2015 on PUP. Then, one or more of those developmental players is a second year player, maybe with a bit of game experience, who becomes the #3 or #4 receiver at the start of 2015.

As dependent as this team is on the passing game, being as good as you can be 5 deep on the regular roster, with the best you can keep one or two deep on the Practice Squad makes a lot of sense.

wist43
05-12-2014, 11:16 AM
We needed WR's... with Jones leaving, it left the cupboard pretty bare.

Janis will likely become this years Johnson/Dorsey... I think Abbrederis probably makes the roster.

Joemailman
05-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Cobb/Nelson/Boykin/Adams/Dorsey, Abby.

Joemailman
05-12-2014, 12:01 PM

Yup. In the 10 games Cobb missed last year, Boykin had 50+ catches for 650+ yards. Rodgers loves throwing to him because he runs great routes. He's not going anywhere.

run pMc
05-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Adams gets the #4 WR spot by deafult of being a R2 pick with the idea of pushing Boykin for #3. From what I hear they like Myles White and probably want him pushing Adams for the #4 WR spot. I'm guessing they try out Abracadabra at PR/KR and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on IR. Janis goes to the PS. Chris Harper (a R4 pick by SEA) and Kevin Dorsey are the wildcards. If the lightbulb goes on for either one they will force someone else out unless they can work out a trade (unlikely) or stash for another year on the PS.

If they all pan out -- unlikely, given the flameout rate of WRs -- then the picks are wasted. I see this as taking a bunch of swings at the plate to make sure they find weapons for Rodgers and keep that pipeline strong. You can also argue it's BPA drafting. One other thing: if some of these guys do pan out, it gives Russ Ball leverage in contract negotiations with Jordy, Cobb and Boykin. Aaron Rodgers can publicly stump for these guys, but GB won't overpay like they have at a few other spots (e.g., ILB) for production.

Guiness
05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
lol, this discussion is now spread over 3 threads!

Chris Harper is a wildcard to be sure. Someone in Seattle felt there was enough there to warrant a 4th round pick. He had a cup of coffee on his way to GB. What happens next wit this guy?

mraynrand
05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
lol, this discussion is now spread over 3 threads!

time for another thread

woodbuck27
05-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Alot of people on both sides in the valor of picking 3 WR with other needs barely addressed. I happen to think that anything more than Adams was a waste of a pick and I'm not completely certain that I would have taken him in the 2nd. We'll keep 6 and have 4-5 that won't suit up for the Packers. I know that the draft was supposedly deep at WR, but I really came away with those 3 picks as the weakest part of what we did.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin are locks, after that I don't see anything but developemnt players. I think the only reason to keep Janis is his height, Abberodonis to placate Wisco people.

I'm not sure right now if this comment is relevant but during the draft and TT picking two then three at WR I was thinking that "just maybe" he was trying to address a need in our ST's or "kick and punt return" game and that in particular and drafting ** WR Jeff Janis **; and earlier in the draft ***WR Jared Abbrederis's who I thought was a kick/punt return man in College.

** http://www.mlive.com/cardinals/index.ssf/2014/05/green_bay_packers_general_mana.html

Green Bay Packers general manager praises SVSU alum Jeff Janis’ athleticism, coach expects strong competition at receiver position

By: Michael Niziolek | mniziole@MLive.com

May 14, 2014 at 6:32 AM ... updated May 14, 2014 at 6:39 AM

***http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jabbrederis.php

Jared Abbrederis Scouting Report

By: Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

• Tremendous route-runner

• Tough to cover out of his breaks

• Sudden quickness

• Constantly gains separation

• Can stretch the field

• Vertical threat

and ...

• Scheme versatility

• Gritty

• Pure football player

• Experienced

• Intelligent

• Durable

• Ready to compete quickly

• Productive

• Special teams ability as a returner and in coverage

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2014, 08:12 PM
I think Harper's are slim. He may have been a 4th round pick, but there wasn't anything there to get excited about. I think Cory Rodgers was a 4th round pick too. Whit has a chance of beating out Abby. Janis is a wild card. I think Dorsey has his work cut out.

Brandon494
05-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Only way White beats out Abby is if he gets injured. Janis will have to prove he can play special teams, have him returning kicks with Abby returning punts.

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2014, 02:42 AM
White beating out Abby is a long shot (5th round picks are hard to give up on their rookie season), but it's possible. White would have to come back much stronger than last year, and Abby would have to disappoint. I'm not expecting it, but teams have given up on 5th round picks before. Chris Harper was a 4th round pick last year, and Seattle and San Fran both let him go.

Brandon494
05-16-2014, 03:23 AM
White beating out Abby is a long shot (5th round picks are hard to give up on their rookie season), but it's possible. White would have to come back much stronger than last year, and Abby would have to disappoint. I'm not expecting it, but teams have given up on 5th round picks before. Chris Harper was a 4th round pick last year, and Seattle and San Fran both let him go.

Chris Harper wasn't as NFL ready as Abby and this was a much deeper WR draft class. Myles White showed me nothing last season and adds nothing to special teams. Ted drafting two WRs late pretty much tells you want he thinks about White and company. Not only we he have to beat out Abby but Janis as well. Writing is pretty much on the wall hes not making the team.

Guiness
05-16-2014, 03:30 AM

Ya, I don't know what to think of Harper. Something wrong there, I don't expect he'll be around long. But then I also don't know what to think of 3WRs picked. I like Janis in the 7th, it's the 5th round pick I don't get.

woodbuck27
05-16-2014, 03:57 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2060115/myles-white

March 28, 2014 10:51 am

Myles White bulks up

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

" Packers wideout Myles White has added 10 pounds to 190 as he seeks to secure the No. 4 receiver job ..."