PDA

View Full Version : Other Teams In Division News 2014

pbmax
05-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Scott Studwell is stepping down as Director of College Scouting for the Vikings. He is 59 and so this may be voluntary, but I have generally held this guy in high regard. Vikings had some good drafts under him.

I don't think he had final say during most of his tenure, so its hard to judge, but I would say they have some big shoes to fill.

Bonus in the PFT article, two toned Vikings jerseys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/scott-studwell-steps-down-as-vikings-college-scouting-director/

denverYooper
05-13-2014, 09:34 AM
In further news... the Bears still suck. (http://www.pinterest.com/emmaprasse/the-bears-still-suck/)

Fritz
05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Does anybody know if Brian Xander is still with the Lions? I think he gets mentioned as getting lots of credit for updating their drating/tracking system, and for last year's draft. But I thought I heard he moved on. Not sure.

Lions' fans are bitter. They finally get a good draft choice - Ebron - and all they do is complain bitterly. The leos also traded up for Van noy, and drafted their next kicker, but I don't know what else to make of their draft picks.

pbmax
05-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Does anybody know if Brian Xander is still with the Lions? I think he gets mentioned as getting lots of credit for updating their drating/tracking system, and for last year's draft. But I thought I heard he moved on. Not sure.

Lions' fans are bitter. They finally get a good draft choice - Ebron - and all they do is complain bitterly. The leos also traded up for Van noy, and drafted their next kicker, but I don't know what else to make of their draft picks.

His wiki has him still with the team.

denverYooper
05-13-2014, 11:06 AM

I've picked up some chatter about the Lions thinking about moving Megatron due to his onerous salary. Maybe they think of Ebron as part of the replacement solution -- a gigantor for Fatford to heave the rock at.

woodbuck27
05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:det

The LIONS needed to draft heavy on "D". I didn't analyze their draft but if they selected BPA that shouldn't have hurt them.

In fact their draft was graded "inferior" to all other NFCN teams. You'd have to do some analysis to determine the accuracy of that grade.

They picked a sub 5.0 Graded CB (4.9) and a kicker graded @ 4.8.

run pMc
05-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Pretty sure Xanders is still there.

I can't imagine them moving Megatron. I'd move Suh or Stafford before I'd move him. Ebron is a decent pick, maybe a little high at 10 -- unless you think he's Vernon Davis -- but not a big reach IMO, and Van Noy in R2 isn't bad.
Detroit does seem to be in win-now mode, which is curious because they need a lot of luck to make any noise in the playoffs. Their future cap situation is not great. I think Lions fans would be bitter regardless of who they drafted, that franchise has a sad history.

In my perfect little dream world, the McCaskeys hire Millen as GM, the Vikings hire Mike Sherman to coach and GM, and Mr. Ford hires Vinny Cerrato.

Studwell leaving is noteworthy, I think he's decent. Spielman is still GM and he's all over the place with good picks and bad. If Bridgewater doesn't pan out he's done though. They'll be in reloading mode this year, and next year the urgency will be there since Peterson will be aging, Zimmer will be in Year 2, and everyone assumes Teddy will be starting by then.

Guiness
05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Everything is relative, run pMC. I'd say the bar is set somewhat lower for them to consider it 'winning'. If they play over .500 ball and make the playoffs, that's a shinning gold star for that franchise. Win a playoff game and it's a season for the ages!

Guiness
05-13-2014, 02:34 PM
The Bears are getting to work signing their draft choices. They're starting with the easier ones, those selected at the bottom of the draft and have signed two of their 7th round choices already. I tend to think this is a good thing, none of the waiting around to see what the other teams do, and none of the silliness of those 'letters of intent' or whatever the documents the rookies can sign that say they'll get the same contract as they would've, even if they're hurt during OTAs and minicamps.

Cheesehead Craig
05-13-2014, 02:56 PM
I thought that rookie contracts were pretty much slotted at this point?

pbmax
05-21-2014, 07:58 AM
FAIRLEY OUT OF OTAS AFTER UNDISCLOSED “PROCEDURE” (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/fairley-out-of-otas-after-undisclosed-procedure/)

They are putting scare quote tattoos on his legs.

Pugger
05-21-2014, 09:46 AM
I've picked up some chatter about the Lions thinking about moving Megatron due to his onerous salary. Maybe they think of Ebron as part of the replacement solution -- a gigantor for Fatford to heave the rock at.

:lol:

Pugger
05-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Lots of folks think the queens hit a home run moving back into the 1st to get Bridgewater. What is your consensus on this pick for them?

MadScientist
05-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Lots of folks think the queens hit a home run moving back into the 1st to get Bridgewater. What is your consensus on this pick for them?

Well, anything that would improve the Vikings QB situation is bad. I'm hoping he turns out like another great Louisville QB - Brian Brohm.

pbmax
05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Norv is a weird fit there. Commentators keep saying Bridgewater is a great fit for Norv, but he isn't a classic drop back 6' 4" rocket arm like Rivers or Aikman. They do have Peterson, so that element stays the same for Norv.

Its going to be interesting to see what their passing offense will look like. On the surface, its looks like an odd match to me.

pbmax
05-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Lions defend Suh for not being at OTAs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/coach-teammates-defend-suh-for-his-no-shows/

Is it a Woodson situation (veteran accommodation), tantrum, message about his contract/renogiation or is it just Suh being Suh?

pbmax
05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Two years ago, I blasted Pete Carroll for continually playing up Russell Wilson's chances of starting as a rookie. My bad, though I think that credit should go to the defense for keeping the team afloat for half the season.

Now we have news of the opposite approach.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 11m
Pettine believes rookies start at bottom MT @AlbertBreer In CLE, Hoyer getting 1st team reps with Browns O. Thingpen, 2nd, Manziel is 3rd.

If that continues, could be just as dumb. Not sure if they have the defense to pull that off, though it is a good one.

Cheesehead Craig
05-21-2014, 12:01 PM

He may have to be. There's rumors that AP may get traded after this season. If it's another stinker season as Cassel tanks and Bridgewater has to learn on the job, AP's contract (14.4M), age, and injury history (3 surgeries in 3 yrs) starts looking worse and worse. Add in that Norv Turner likes to use a 2 back system and I just don't think the Vikes can justify paying him what they do, even if he still is the best RB in the game. So that is going to put a lot of pressure on Bridgewater to be the man.

run pMc
05-21-2014, 12:11 PM
IIRC reports were that the Browns really like Hoyer, so I'm not surprised he's running with the 1's. I'd have expected Manziel to be #2 though. Pettine is either making Manziel put in the work and earn it, which I'm ok with, or he's dumb and inflexible. I guess we'll find out.

Guiness
05-21-2014, 01:20 PM

They gave up a 4th, which isn't bad (although I don't like anything that gives Seattle picks at this point). Moves into the end of the first round were widely predicted, as a bit of an insurance policy - it allows teams to lock that player in for a 5th year, so that was a smart thing by the Vikings brass.

As far as whether or not Bridgewater was a good pick? No strong opinion. AP should keep the pressure off him and give him a good chance to develop. The reports on him were so mixed, and his eventual huge fall told us all that the people who mattered never thought as highly of him as Kipper and the boys did.

Brandon494
05-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Two years ago, I blasted Pete Carroll for continually playing up Russell Wilson's chances of starting as a rookie. My bad, though I think that credit should go to the defense for keeping the team afloat for half the season.

Pettine believes rookies start at bottom MT @AlbertBreer In CLE, Hoyer getting 1st team reps with Browns O. Thingpen, 2nd, Manziel is 3rd.

If that continues, could be just as dumb. Not sure if they have the defense to pull that off, though it is a good one.

No the credit should go to Wilson for clearly being the best QB on the roster.;-)

Browns are just trying to keep Manziel's ego in check, he'll be the starter by week 4.

mraynrand
05-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Manzier is keeping his own ego in check. He originally stated that he had no expectations and had to earn his position on the team. Still, passing up Thigpen on a depth chart is about as hard as getting past granny in her smart car on the way to church.

Fritz
05-21-2014, 03:09 PM
FAIRLEY OUT OF OTAS AFTER UNDISCLOSED “PROCEDURE” (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/fairley-out-of-otas-after-undisclosed-procedure/)

They are putting scare quote tattoos on his legs.

Not a great start for poor Jim Caldwell. Suh's contract - or lack of a renegotiated contract - has become a distraction in Detroit, along with his absence at earlier voluntary workouts.

Fairley has been fairly disappointing, but the procedure was supposedly minor and not football-related, whatever it was.

The brass has definitely put lots of pressure on Caldwell - they've been explicit that it's a win-now expectation, and that's not just words for the fans, like it was when
MM got here years ago and TT and MM said they expected not to rebuild. We all knew better.

In Detroit, they mean it.

run pMc
05-21-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm torn on Bridgewater. his numbers in college were pretty good -- accurate, didn't throw many picks, etc. and from the highlights it looks like he could make a play out of nothing and guys seem to enjoy playing with him.
From what I hear his pro day was historically bad, but if you look at the tape he's a good player. I haven't looked at what kind of teams he played against, so maybe it was easy pickings.

Turner is being pitched as a QB whisperer, and supposedly Teddy passed a private pre-draft workout with the Vikes with flying colors, so who knows.
He might be Brad Johnson II or Brian Brohm II. I honestly have no idea, but I don't see him as a Top 5 QB. They'll give Cassel a chance to win a few games before putting Teddy in there. Having AP will take a ton of pressure of him, and having guys like GJ and Corderelle to throw to will be nice, but if he's got a thin build, small hands and so-so arm, I wonder how he'll hold up especially when December rolls around.

Guiness
05-21-2014, 05:07 PM
He may have to be. There's rumors that AP may get traded after this season. If it's another stinker season as Cassel tanks and Bridgewater has to learn on the job, AP's contract (14.4M), age, and injury history (3 surgeries in 3 yrs) starts looking worse and worse. Add in that Norv Turner likes to use a 2 back system and I just don't think the Vikes can justify paying him what they do, even if he still is the best RB in the game. So that is going to put a lot of pressure on Bridgewater to be the man.

The Vikings had horrible timing with his contract. They locked up a premier player for the long term, and a year or so later the bottom fell out of the market. His cap hit is $5M more than the #2 RB, and his $11.75M base is double that of any RB other than McCoy, and triple the #6 paid RB.

OTOH dead money would be less than $5M this year.

Guiness
05-21-2014, 05:53 PM
No the credit should go to Wilson for clearly being the best QB on the roster.;-)

Browns are just trying to keep Manziel's ego in check, he'll be the starter by week 4.

Methinks they're going a little overboard and are going to absolutely ruin his confidence before he even steps on the field!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/ray-farmer-hoyer-is-better-than-manziel-by-a-substantial-margin/

They certainly seem to be approaching him with the idea that he needs to be taken down a peg or 3. If they see him as this big of a problem, why draft him??? Unless Haslam forced them into it? Nah.....

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Manziel has to be estatic. Actually I hope he's reality based and sitting to learn.

It's best to bring him along slowly. Throwing him to the sharks need not be an option.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352223/article/teddy-bridgewater-minnesota-vikings-strike-contract

Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings strike contract

By Chris Wesseling ... Around the League Writer

Published: May 20, 2014 at 11:18 a.m. ... Updated: May 21, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

" Coach Mike Zimmer has made it clear that Bridgewater will compete with Matt Cassel for the starting job, and the organization obviously hopes the rookie will win out.

We have debated on the "Around The League Podcast" and in print whether Bridgewater or Matt Cassel is the favorite to start the season opener. " Fr. LINK

pbmax
05-21-2014, 06:37 PM
IIRC reports were that the Browns really like Hoyer, so I'm not surprised he's running with the 1's. I'd have expected Manziel to be #2 though. Pettine is either making Manziel put in the work and earn it, which I'm ok with, or he's dumb and inflexible. I guess we'll find out.

I have read that Michael Lombhardi loved Hoyer and was pushing him from inside the building as the player who should be starting.

pbmax
05-21-2014, 06:40 PM

That's a pretty relative standard. At one point, Paul McDonald and Randy Wright were thought to be the best QBs on their teams.

Defense won them games early in Wilson's first season.

mraynrand
05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Defense won them games early in Wilson's first season.

it won them the Divisional Playoff game, the NFC championship game, and the Superbowl. That doesn't mean Wilson aint any good, but dammit, Seattle was almost all about their damn defense, running game and then a solid collection of clutch plays from Wilson. Dude is a great leader; his team believes in him absolutely, they wouldn't be champs without him; but he's third in importance for that team winning the Superbowl.

bobblehead
05-21-2014, 09:04 PM

Wilson had ability...availability that is. The D kept his limits hidden early on as PB said, but Russel is a sharp guy and learned on the fly. I am of the opinion that a guy is better off sitting a year though if they don't have Lynch and the Seattle D to help him along.

And I agree on Manziel although by all reports his ego is in check. I think the Browns are trying to keep the MEDIA'S PERCEPTION of his ego in check.

Brandon494
05-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Wilson had ability...availability that is. The D kept his limits hidden early on as PB said, but Russel is a sharp guy and learned on the fly. I am of the opinion that a guy is better off sitting a year though if they don't have Lynch and the Seattle D to help him along.

And I agree on Manziel although by all reports his ego is in check. I think the Browns are trying to keep the MEDIA'S PERCEPTION of his ego in check.

Defense was the reason they won games but they had little to do with Wilson tying the NFL rookie mark for TD passes. Not like he was Rex Grossman out there playing QB. Wilson also didn't turn the ball over, threw for a high %, and had a QBR over 100. Plus they fact he can make plays with his legs.

Bretsky
05-21-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjfB4qDx3RM

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE 10-15 SECOND MARK ON ABOVE VIDEO BEFORE READING BELOW

I don't get the downplaying of how outstanding Russell Wilson has been; you guys sound like Badger Haters :)
Russell Wilson has looked good from day one
What does Pete Carroll ask him to do ?
Has he been successful or not ? What was his quarterback rating last year in comparison to some of the more veteran QB's that my guess is some in here perceive to be superior to Russell Wilson ?
Which games did Pete Carroll cut Russell Wilson loose last year ?
What is his INT/TD Ratio ?

Last, but not least, go back to the year Russell Wilson was drafted............look at everybody picked ahead of him....and consider where he'd be rated right now in that draft.

I know Seattle's defense is outstanding; but that fed off of an incredibly smart QB who could throw with solid completion percentage, keep drives alive with his feet, and not turn the ball over ! That was a nice compliment to a superior special teams(we would not know what one looks like) that didn't give up return yardage on punts. All of that together made a champion.

I can't believe the Badger fans who watched this guy carry us for a year have not chimed in here. I leave for a few days and come back to this ? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bretsky
05-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Defense was the reason they won games but they had little to do with Wilson tying the NFL rookie mark for TD passes. Not like he was Rex Grossman out there playing QB. Wilson also didn't turn the ball over, threw for a high %, and had a QBR over 100. Plus they fact he can make plays with his legs.

THANK YOU.......for the logic..........from reading in here I'd think he was Trent Dilfer...............Is this guy not still in the top 10 for QB rating ? Are there 10 better quarterbacks ? I highly doubt Pete Carroll would get much past five if he was rating what he wants in his QB.

Brandon494
05-21-2014, 09:34 PM
I can't believe the Badger fans who watched this guy carry us for a year have not chimed in here. I leave for a few days and come back to this ? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hard for Packers fans to give him credit ever since the Fail Marry. :bang:

smuggler
05-21-2014, 10:35 PM
He's a good player on a great team.

Brandon494
05-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Its not like the guy had any talent around him at WR, wait until he gets Harvin for a full season. IMO hes like a combination of Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Not saying hes on their level but he will be one day.

Bretsky
05-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Pete Carroll rarely unleashed Wilson; but when he did.............dude balls it....see first half against NO Saints. A good player on a great team....too dam simple. How many offensive players on Seattle do you take over Wilson ? Lynch....sure....who else ? And how many points did they score per game ? It's not like they were the Ravens playing prevent offense. Look at the numbers; they don't lie. I'm not saying he's great; but Brandon is spot on; he's hated/downgraded because of that one pass when he deserves credit for leading his team to a championship......rather than being considered a sidekick...

mraynrand
05-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Hard for Packers fans to give him credit ever since the Fail Marry. :bang:

not me. I hate Tate and Carroll for pretending that play was legit. Wilson appears to be a great guy.

Zool
05-22-2014, 12:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjfB4qDx3RM

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE 10-15 SECOND MARK ON ABOVE VIDEO BEFORE READING BELOW

You're old B. Age old question I suppose, but Russell isn't a prototypical NFL QB and therefor they win in spite of him I suppose? Tough to sound smart when the whole discussion is theoretical but there are quite a few QB's you'd take right now over Wilson. In the sports guy world, same as on an internet forum, you're either the best or the worst. There can be no in between.

mraynrand
05-22-2014, 05:26 AM
You're old B. Age old question I suppose, but Russell isn't a prototypical NFL QB and therefor they win in spite of him I suppose? Tough to sound smart when the whole discussion is theoretical but there are quite a few QB's you'd take right now over Wilson. In the sports guy world, same as on an internet forum, you're either the best or the worst. There can be no in between.

Mediocre post.

Pugger
05-22-2014, 07:32 AM
not me. I hate Tate and Carroll for pretending that play was legit. Wilson appears to be a great guy.

This - all damn day.

pbmax
05-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Agreed. I am less sold on Hoyer actually holding on to the starters job (though he has his supporters) but I think the public discussion of something coaches and teams are usually lithe to talk about is more about the public than the player right now.

pbmax
05-22-2014, 09:29 AM

No doubt the kid can deliver plays. He is not JUST a game manager who avoids mistakes. He has genuine talent and a big arm. But he is ultra conservative on most plays and that plays well into his team's strengths. He is a perfect fit. But I do think he did not come to be a dangerous player until the second half of his rookie season.

The weapons argument is legit. I just view him as a second level guy (behind Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees). Also give him credit for not trying to be the statue QB like Ben, Aikman or Carson Palmer. He knows he does not need to take that kind of punishment when he can move like he can. Its a lesson Manziel would do well to learn.

denverYooper
05-22-2014, 10:09 AM
No doubt the kid can deliver plays. He is not JUST a game manager who avoids mistakes. He has genuine talent and a big arm. But he is ultra conservative on most plays and that plays well into his team's strengths. He is a perfect fit. But I do think he did not come to be a dangerous player until the second half of his rookie season.

The weapons argument is legit. I just view him as a second level guy (behind Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees). Also give him credit for not trying to be the statue QB like Ben, Aikman or Carson Palmer. He knows he does not need to take that kind of punishment when he can move like he can. Its a lesson Manziel would do well to learn.

It seems a little funny, but I see Brady and Rodgers as more on the conservative side of the QB spectrum as well. Rodgers can make any throw, sure, but there are several that he won't take. I wonder if his collarbone injury last year will affect his risk/reward calculations or if he'll throw more away and take less sacks.

Cheesehead Craig
05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Having seen Wilson at WI I knew he was going to make some team very happy. He's smart and has a great arm, those 2 traits alone will carry him very far in this league. Add in that he's mobile and looks to use his mobility to throw first then run and he's an elite talent just waiting to be recognized. He's like ARod in that he doesn't force stuff and thus keeps his INTs down. I think he'll be underrated most of his career while he keeps piling up wins and possibly more SBs.

Pugger
05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
It seems a little funny, but I see Brady and Rodgers as more on the conservative side of the QB spectrum as well. Rodgers can make any throw, sure, but there are several that he won't take. I wonder if his collarbone injury last year will affect his risk/reward calculations or if he'll throw more away and take less sacks.

I hope so.

mraynrand
05-22-2014, 11:36 AM
I think he'll be underrated most of his career while he keeps piling up wins and possibly more SBs.

That won't last long in the NFL. He's not Trent Dilfer for crissakes. Unfortunately for the Packers, he seems destined to be a smarter, more mobile Terry Bradshaw, and possibly accumulate as many rings.

Fritz
05-22-2014, 02:48 PM
That won't last long in the NFL. He's not Trent Dilfer for crissakes. Unfortunately for the Packers, he seems destined to be a smarter, more mobile Terry Bradshaw, and possibly accumulate as many rings.

My eleven year old dog is a smarter, more mobile Terry Bradshaw. I grew up watching the 70's teams, and while I greatly admired the Steeler receivers, such as Lynn Swan (Swann?), I never was impressed by Terry Bradshaw.

I don't know that much, really, about Russell Wilson. He seems awfully good for a second year guy especially, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops or how the team's talent pool fluctuates and how he then responds.

smuggler
05-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Swann, yeah

Pugger
05-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Wilson is a nice QB but I can't see him carrying a team like Rodgers, Brady, Brees or Manning do.

smuggler
05-23-2014, 11:50 AM
If he never has to, people will consider him an all-time great regardless, because that's how it works with quarterbacks (Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Aikman).

Brandon494
05-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Wilson is a nice QB but I can't see him carrying a team like Rodgers, Brady, Brees or Manning do.

He only put up better numbers his first two seasons then those guys their first two seasons playing. His mental makeup is also a lot like those three guys in the way he studies and prepares for games.

mraynrand
05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
He only put up better numbers his first two seasons then those guys their first two seasons playing. His mental makeup is also a lot like those three guys in the way he studies and prepares for games.

I'd downplay the stats, because of the various different circumstances involved. Wilson so far has had a good situation, in that the defense allows him to work like a starting pitcher with a three run lead. But when you look at individual games, when the chips are down, Wilson typically plays great. Any team that becomes one-dimensional can get punked, and Wilson would probably look as bad as Manning did in the Super Bowl last year in similar circumstances. He's really young, but a lot of his great plays remind me of Elway back in the 80's engineering comebacks. Funny thing is that (circumstances again) Wilson doesn't seem to make as many of the same reckless mistakes that some of the younger great QBs made (except Marino maybe). He's an interesting guy with a huge upside in a great environment. Will be fun to watch in the upcoming years. I just hope he plays like crap against the Pack!

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 03:28 PM
I notice that the Wilson detractors don't provide specifics (AND I DON"T BLAME THEM ONE BIT) so I'm happy to put myself out there with a view to be analyzed

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers are top tier QB's in the NFL and undoubtedly better than Wilson. I doubt Wilson ever gets to that level.

But then I think you can throw him into the next tier of QB's that would include guys like Romo, Capernick, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Stafford, Rothlisberger, Luck, Newton, Cutler, and RG3

When looking at that group it's not hard to argue Russell Wilson is in the top third of QB's in the NFL. I'd take him over a number of the above QB's. Stats would undoubtedly support this.

YET..........somehow........Seattle wins with what some call a Game Manager................at QB:roll:

pbmax
05-24-2014, 08:26 AM
There was plenty of evidence during the season. They kept talking about how they were using only a part of their offense and asking him to be cautious while they figured out what would work.

Eventually they grew more bold and even used some read option. He was efficient but not dominating in the first half of that season.

Fritz
05-24-2014, 08:57 AM
It's been interesting to follow the new Lions' coach as he attempts to do the balancing act required in Detroit with Suh. Caldwell of course is pooh-poohing any notion of Suh's lingering contract talks (renogotiation) being an issue, but the thing is taking on its own life.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140522/SPORTS0101/305230002/Ndamukong-Suh-remains-Lions-befuddling-behemoth

This reminds me of the Packers' camp in 2009, when Brent "retired" then wanted to come back. Everybody hopes there is no distraction, but there is. It's not a scenario any coach wants to have to deal with - having a player be the spotlight, for negative reasons.

But that's what Caldwell's gotten. Not the ideal way to start things - it all just sounds like the same ol' Detroit Lions.

As for Suh himself, what might he have meant when he said he could've made a decision on draft day that would've landed him elsewhere? The only scenario in which that could occur would seem to be demanding a trade and insisting one will not play for a certain team - the ol' Elway/Eli move.

No matter what the guy says, he'll either sign a renegotiated contract that will give the Lions some leeway this year but will kill them down the road, or Suh really just wants out of Detroit, will break off talks once the season begins, claiming he really, really tried and it just didn't work out.

Neither way seems terribly beneficial for the Lions - they already have big contracts and a narrow cap space this year, with things only getting better as Bush's, Stafford's, Johnson's, and Tate's contracts begin to balloon up and up in the coming years.

pbmax
05-24-2014, 10:01 AM
PASSING

Value G W L T Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A

September 4 2 2 0 60 100 60.00% 594 4 4 73.5 5.94 4.94
October 4 2 2 0 69 110 62.73% 872 6 4 90.4 7.93 7.38
November 3 2 1 0 49 70 70.00% 585 7 0 128.6 8.36 10.36
December 5 5 0 0 74 113 65.49% 1067 9 2 115.2 9.44 10.24

RUSHING

Month A/G Y/G Att Yds Y/A TD A/G Y/G TD Pts
September 25.0 148.5 22 80 3.64 0 5.5 20.0 0 0
October 27.5 218.0 14 48 3.43 0 3.5 12.0 0 0
November 23.3 195.0 21 99 4.71 0 7.0 33.0 0 0
December 22.6 213.4 37 262 7.08 4 7.4 52.4 4 24

Fritz
05-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Just opinions here...

The Lions seem to be the same old Lions, so far. The Suh stuff, future cap problems, still a lack of defensive backs.

The Vikings are still in transition. After they moved Percy Harvin for what, two big draft picks, I thought they'd set themselves up to rebound quickly, but here they are, with the best running back in the game whose rumored to be traded after the year, and another new first round draft pick QB with some questions attached.

The Bears, I dunno what to think. I don't think they had a sexy draft, but maybe it was a good draft. But with Cutler there, there's always that game-losing interception to be tossed.

shammye06
05-26-2014, 03:53 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/507761 I guess Reggie Bush forgot who won the NFC north.

woodbuck27
05-26-2014, 11:01 PM
http://www.chatsports.com/minnesota-vikings/a/Vikings-News-QB-Christian-Ponder-to-share-firstteam-reps-10-109-536

Vikings News: QB Christian Ponder to share first-team reps

May 25, 2014

By: ChatSports Staff

woodbuck27
05-26-2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/507761 I guess Reggie Bush forgot who won the NFC north.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353203/article/reggie-bush-the-chicago-bears-have-gotten-better

Reggie Bush: The Chicago Bears have gotten better

By: Chris Wesseling ... Around the League Writer

Published: May 24, 2014 at 09:49 a.m. ... Updated: May 25, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.

woodbuck27
05-26-2014, 11:15 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Five-storylines-to-follow-heading-into-OTAs/3ff29b33-e39b-4c65-8218-5d9f6dc20a60

Five Detroit Lions storylines to follow heading into OTAs

Posted May 20, 2014

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/10-QUESTIONS-WITH-TWENTYMAN-What-concerns-do-the-Lions-still-have/e0defcde-c324-4034-a385-d7f5920fd7ec

10 QUESTIONS WITH TWENTYMAN: What concerns do the Lions still have?

Posted May 23, 2014

BY: Tim Twentyman ... Senior Writer

pbmax
05-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Quote from that piece Woody linked to above about the Vikings QB:

Per Chris Wesseling of NFL.com, “NFL Media’s Albert Breer reports Ponder will share first-team reps in offseason practices, along with Cassel and Bridgewater.”

Thinking about this and then the Manziel, third string situation, I am not sure there is a good way to go about not having a QB.

I guess having your young QB get some first or at least second team reps is ideal. SO I actually favor the Vikes in this case over the Browns. But Rodgers did his development with second string and the scout team.

woodbuck27
05-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Quote from that piece Woody linked to above about the Vikings QB:

Thinking about this and then the Manziel, third string situation, I am not sure there is a good way to go about not having a QB.

I guess having your young QB get some first or at least second team reps is ideal. SO I actually favor the Vikes in this case over the Browns. But Rodgers did his development with second string and the scout team.

I don't believe this thing and Johnny Manziel and 3rd string is real.

If it is the Cleveland Brown franchise is simply wrong.

I think that the BROWNS are simply handling this situation poorly.

pbmax
06-01-2014, 08:43 AM
James Ihedigbo: Lions will be “hard-hitting, vicious, physical” (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/james-ihedigbo-lions-will-be-hard-hitting-vicious-physical/)

In other words, not much changing. Notice also he doesn't say "good".

mraynrand
06-01-2014, 10:35 PM
James Ihedigbo: Lions will be “hard-hitting, vicious, physical” (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/james-ihedigbo-lions-will-be-hard-hitting-vicious-physical/)

In other words, not much changing. Notice also he doesn't say "good".

Lions are fit to be tied.

mraynrand
06-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't believe this thing and Johnny Manziel and 3rd string is real.

If it is the Cleveland Brown franchise is simply wrong.

I think that the BROWNS are simply handling this situation poorly.

Funny how every player on the Browns disagrees with you, including Manzier.

pbmax
06-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I love how this offseason is going. Between Reggie Bush (rb) and James Ipecac (s) with the Lions thinking they are the team to beat and that the threat will be the Bears, they have pushed the Peppers acquiring Packers off the headlines.

Now Chicago is making similar noises. Alshon Jeffery: Brandon Marshall and I are the NFL’s Top 2 receivers (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/alshon-jeffery-brandon-marshall-and-i-are-the-nfls-top-2-receivers/)

mraynrand
06-02-2014, 06:36 AM
they have pushed the Peppers acquiring Packers off the headlines.

I hope that was intentional. Gud one!

woodbuck27
06-03-2014, 05:46 AM
I love how this offseason is going. Between Reggie Bush (rb) and James Ipecac (s) with the Lions thinking they are the team to beat and that the threat will be the Bears, they have pushed the Peppers acquiring Packers off the headlines.

Now Chicago is making similar noises. Alshon Jeffery: Brandon Marshall and I are the NFL’s Top 2 receivers (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/alshon-jeffery-brandon-marshall-and-i-are-the-nfls-top-2-receivers/)

How much Pepper is too much?

It may be projected (correctly argued?) that Alshon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall will lead the NFL as "a BEST WR Tandem" in the 2014 season.

Yet hold on:

Last season the Chicago Bears had an excellent #2 QB in Josh McCown and he signed as a FA with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers . The BEARS arguably looked better in the passing game with Josh McCown passing to Top 15 NFL Ranked WR's Alshon Jeffrey (#6) and Brandon Marshall (#11).

So now who's projected as the NO. 2 QB in Chicago?

Jordan Palmer and that's Carson Palmer's little brother who has thrown only 15 NFL passes. He's the most experienced of the three competing for the Chicago bears backup QB position that includes the Bears 2014 Draft Pick, Central Florida QB Blake Bortles .

Last season Chicago Bears WR's Alshon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshal combined for a NFL tandem WR leading 189 receptions and 2716 Yards and 19 TD's.

The Denver broncos WR Tandem of Demaryius Thomas and Thomas Decker 179 receptions and 2718 yards and 25 TD's [COLOR="#FF0000"]but Decker is now a NY Jet.

In my view. As a pure WR tandem no NFL team has a finer finer candidate [B]and should be the most productive WR Tandem as the Bears Alshon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall.

The big question as always. Can Bears QB Jay cutler remain healthy and make that happen?

If the Atlanta Falcons can get a solid season out od Roddy White and Julio jones that pair should do well.

The same can be said for the Green Bay Packers WR Tandem and pick two of three Jordy Nelson (solid last season)and Randall Cobb (with clear upside)....and chip in with a surprizing Jarrett Boykin who was impressive enough that his play pushed outstanding WR James Jones out of Green Bay to the Oakland Raiders.

woodbuck27
06-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Funny how every player on the Browns disagrees with you, including Manzier.

Ohh.

Your source is?

mraynrand
06-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Ohh.

Your source is?

The Plain Dealer, Cleveland.com, and local channels 3,5,8, and 19.

pbmax
06-03-2014, 09:43 AM
The Plain Dealer, Cleveland.com, and local channels 3,5,8, and 19.

There is something comforting about those first three channels.

Fritz
06-03-2014, 11:54 AM
So, in the media wars, it looks like the Bears and Lions battling for first place, and the Packers and Vikings duking it out for third.

Fritz
06-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Here's a couple lines I spotted in a Detroit News article today:

"The termination of Houston’s contract was how the Lions managed to open enough salary cap space for first-round tight end Eric Ebron’s $12.25 million contract, which he signed earlier Friday."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140613/SPORTS0101/306130098#ixzz34Y4edFxj

So in order to get all their draft picks signed, they had to cut a guy who was a starter last year. Now, Houston is hurt, having had toe surgery, I believe, a few weeks ago, and he was questionable for the start of training camp.

Now maybe the team would've cut him anyway - he didn't play terribly well last year- but he was probably their most consistent starting cornerback. I think he'd signed a five year, $25 million deal three or four years ago.

But when you're forced to cut Player A to sign Rookie B, you know your sal cap is tight.

Guiness
06-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Here's a couple lines I spotted in a Detroit News article today:

"The termination of Houston’s contract was how the Lions managed to open enough salary cap space for first-round tight end Eric Ebron’s $12.25 million contract, which he signed earlier Friday."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140613/SPORTS0101/306130098#ixzz34Y4edFxj

So in order to get all their draft picks signed, they had to cut a guy who was a starter last year. Now, Houston is hurt, having had toe surgery, I believe, a few weeks ago, and he was questionable for the start of training camp.

Now maybe the team would've cut him anyway - he didn't play terribly well last year- but he was probably their most consistent starting cornerback. I think he'd signed a five year, $25 million deal three or four years ago.

But when you're forced to cut Player A to sign Rookie B, you know your sal cap is tight.

And the debacle that is the Suh contract is still hanging around. He counts an astounding $22.4M vs the cap in 2014. For comparison, the franchise tag number for a DT is 9.6.

They are talking extension with him, and he has huge leverage on them. They might have to pay him well above market value, basically QB money to get him to sign something that will drop his cap number to something reasonable.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 29m
Bears announced they signed 5-time Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson.

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 29m
Bears announced they signed 5-time Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson.

Lmao wonder if that has anything to do with MD Jennings play in mini camp.

Joemailman
06-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I thought it was kind of funny that the Bears signed Jennings because in the last game of the regular season against the Bears, the Packers benched Jennings because he played so bad.

Carolina_Packer
06-23-2014, 10:09 PM
So now who's projected as the NO. 2 QB in Chicago?

Jordan Palmer and that's Carson Palmer's little brother who has thrown only 15 NFL passes. He's the most experienced of the three competing for the Chicago bears backup QB position that includes the Bears 2014 Draft Pick, Central Florida QB Blake Bortles.

Blake Bortles was drafted #3 overall by Jacksonville.

Here is the Bears current depth chart at QB, according to ourlads.com:

QB 6 CUTLER, JAY T/Den 7 Clausen, Jimmy U/Car 2 PALMER, JORDAN SF13 12 Fales, David 14/6 16 Johnson, Jerrod CF13

Were you possibly thinking of David Fales from San Jose State?

woodbuck27
06-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Blake Bortles was drafted #3 overall by Jacksonville.

Here is the Bears current depth chart at QB, according to ourlads.com:

QB 6 CUTLER, JAY T/Den 7 Clausen, Jimmy U/Car 2 PALMER, JORDAN SF13 12 Fales, David 14/6 16 Johnson, Jerrod CF13

Were you possibly thinking of David Fales from San Jose State?

I'm looking at this error on my behalf now and havn't a clue what I was thinking on that post and incorrectly writing that Blake Bortles was drafted by da Bears. :-)

RE: Bears prospect Rookie QB 6th Round Draft Pick.... David Fales ( the 183rd overall pick ):

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-pick-QB-Fales-in-Round-6/63c222ac-26ef-407b-bd7e-43343c870d48

mraynrand
06-24-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm looking at this error on my behalf now and havn't a clue what I was thinking on that post and incorrectly writing that Blake Bortles was drafted by da Bears. :-)

we understand

pbmax
06-28-2014, 03:25 PM
He's like a kid out there! Seriously, it reads like he is a 20 year old draftee.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/bears-qb-coach-sees-incredible-progress-from-cutler/

“When we got in here last year and evaluated him we had a real good conversation with him about certain things that every quarterback should do. We said, ‘Jay it might not be natural, but we want you to try it.’ And he did.

Fritz
07-02-2014, 07:48 AM
"We said, ‘Jay it might not be natural, but we want you to try it.’ And he did."

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSswV385_70RTqrT8CepQDTD4s6jVhIr 9p5JOsfwZHazz9-YPPi

And then he realized that he liked it...

Teamcheez1
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Saw that Lane Johnson the starting right tackle (2013 1st rd draft pick) for the Eagles may be suspended for 4 games. What caught my eye was that Allen Barbre may be the starter during that time period.

pbmax
07-25-2014, 03:44 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h
Vikings place CB Captain Munnerlyn (hamstring) on PUP, sign WRs Ty Walker, Andy Cruse http://wp.me/p14QSB-9wAt

Fritz
07-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Lions put last year's number five overall pick, Ziggy Ansah, on the PUP list due to shoulder surgery he had after last season.

Shoulder injuries are a bitch. I wonder if they're concerned about this kid's career.

In other Lion news, no news on the Suh renegotiation front. He's going to cost them one arm and a leg-and-a-half in sal cap room this year, then become a FA in February '15.

smuggler
07-26-2014, 04:55 PM
There is no reason for Suh to renegotiate. He's due $20million and wont be cut. AND if he finishes the year with the Lions, his franchise tag number for 2015 would be like $24 million. The Lions have absolutely no leverage. They can either cut him, give him a gargantuan payday, or trade him to a team that will.

There really is no reason for him to spread that money out over a new contract. That money, at least in part, is compensation for his play over the last few years. The Lions act like they're trying to be reasonable, but in truth, they are trying to use the same money to pay a guy twice. Very dirty.

Fritz
07-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Well, I would say this, at least: the Lions offered that contract they're now suffering under.

And I love it.

As always, the players are saying all the right things, and saying too the right things about "Calm" Jim Caldwell. But I like the fact there is a cloud hanging over Allen Park.

bobblehead
07-27-2014, 08:40 AM
There is no reason for Suh to renegotiate. He's due $20million and wont be cut. AND if he finishes the year with the Lions, his franchise tag number for 2015 would be like $24 million. The Lions have absolutely no leverage. They can either cut him, give him a gargantuan payday, or trade him to a team that will.

There really is no reason for him to spread that money out over a new contract. That money, at least in part, is compensation for his play over the last few years. The Lions act like they're trying to be reasonable, but in truth, they are trying to use the same money to pay a guy twice. Very dirty.

Agreed, when a player plays out the high paying years, then demands a new contract I hammer the player (Yea, you marshawn Lynch). In this case he played out the reasonable years, this is his money.

pbmax
08-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Finally, the Vikings and their fans are taking preseason camp seriously.

Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph shot after game (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/09/vikings-defensive-tackle-linval-joseph-shot-after-game/)

pbmax
08-13-2014, 10:22 AM
The Good Ship Leo is on course and ready for the season!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5h
Nick Fairley packing on the pounds, dropping on the depth chart http://wp.me/p14QSB-9xvX

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/08/nick_fairley_still_in_the_dog.html

bobblehead
08-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Quote Originally Posted by '"QB Coach Fred Rodgers (Matt Cavanaugh)"
“When we got in here last year and evaluated him we had a real good conversation with him about certain things that every quarterback should do. We said, ‘Jay it might not be natural, but we want you to try it.’ And he did.

I had a girlfriend in college like that. Time of my life.

Pugger
08-14-2014, 06:52 AM
I thought it was kind of funny that the Bears signed Jennings because in the last game of the regular season against the Bears, the Packers benched Jennings because he played so bad.

I hope he starts for the freaking bares.

What are people seeing in this team that makes them think they are going to win the NFCN? I've seen this prediction a few times this offseason.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 10:01 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 48m
Jerome Simpson faces another three-game suspension http://wp.me/p14QSB-9xOT

Joemailman
08-18-2014, 10:43 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 48m
Jerome Simpson faces another three-game suspension http://wp.me/p14QSB-9xOT

Isn't he the guy who was arrested for trying to have pot delivered to his house?

smuggler
08-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Fairley about to get cut methinks. Playing poorly, way out of shape. They already trimmed his contract for 2015...

pbmax
08-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Isn't he the guy who was arrested for trying to have pot delivered to his house?

As funny as that story was, I have no idea of it was Simpson.

Yes he was. And I don't think it was all for personal use.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7003943/marijuana-seized-cincinnati-bengals-receiver-jerome-simpson-home

denverYooper
08-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Fairley about to get cut methinks. Playing poorly, way out of shape. They already trimmed his contract for 2015...

What a waste of talent. Maybe he'll improve with a change of scenery.

Guiness
08-19-2014, 02:08 PM
What a waste of talent. Maybe he'll improve with a change of scenery.

I guess that's the Lions' MO, even with Millen gone. Draft the same position high in the first round a couple/few years in a row, eventually hit on one. 3 (4?) tries to get Johnson, two to get Stafford, two to get Suh. Maybe they'll start on CBs next, and in 15-20 years they'll have a whole team!