PDA

View Full Version : BIG Letters

Joemailman
05-13-2014, 04:09 PM
In 2013, when asked the Packers running game, Mike McCarthy said this:

“We’ll be better, I promise you that,” McCarthy said after the team’s final organized team activity practice of the offseason. “You can write that down. In big letters.”

The Packers went from 20th in rushing in 2012 to 7th in 2013.

Fast Forward to 2014:

“We’re going to be a better defense this year,” the Green Bay Packers coach announced Saturday evening after the NFL Draft had ended. “You can write that in big letters.”

Is he right?

MadScientist
05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
maybe

Brandon494
05-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Well I give him this, he said the same thing about the running game last year and held his word.

smuggler
05-13-2014, 06:56 PM
I mean, between Hayward coming back, Peppers, and Matthews being healthy, it has to get at least marginally better, so hey, write it in big letters. Why not?

mission
05-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Can't be worse

Brandon494
05-13-2014, 11:37 PM
I mean, between Hayward coming back, Peppers, and Matthews being healthy, it has to get at least marginally better, so hey, write it in big letters. Why not?

Don't forget about HaHa Dix and hopefully Burnett having a better season.

mission
05-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Don't forget about HaHa Dix and hopefully Burnett having a better season.

I really think Burnett will look like a new man playing next to a real safety.

Joemailman
05-13-2014, 11:38 PM
I think MM's comment suggests he thinks they'll be more than marginally better. If not, Wist might get his wish.

pbmax
05-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Can't be worse

Well ...

There was the little matter of 2012 ....

pbmax
05-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Its going to be interesting. I am near certain that McCarthy is basically telling Capers that what you used to do with minimum variation and tons of starting experience (like the Steelers) isn't going to work here where all but 3-4 guys are very young. Draft and develop.

You need to be multiple and matchup with players most suited to the highest priority task you need them to perform. Matchups, or personnel changes and talent becomes a substitution for years of experience in execution and adjustment. Athletic talent must win out if the other team catches you with an unknown look.

My personal fan experience with Head Coach meddling is that it tends not to work, though the sample size is small and tends to happen with teams already in trouble. McCarthy has had a large body of success on the O side and he is a big believer in not spreading himself thin with duties and multiple jobs. So I think he leaves Dom alone after Dom comes up with a defensive plan that uses ALL the parts in their ideal spots.

mraynrand
05-14-2014, 07:31 AM
I think MM's comment suggests he thinks they'll be more than marginally better. If not, Wist might get his wish.

You don't understand Wist: He wants the defense to be ranked 31st and look horrible, as he expects, so as to get rid of Capers.

woodbuck27
05-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I want to see the Packer Beat media echo that....come Dec. 2014.

Cheesehead Craig
05-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Its going to be interesting. I am near certain that McCarthy is basically telling Capers that what you used to do with minimum variation and tons of starting experience (like the Steelers) isn't going to work here where all but 3-4 guys are very young. Draft and develop.

You need to be multiple and matchup with players most suited to the highest priority task you need them to perform. Matchups, or personnel changes and talent becomes a substitution for years of experience in execution and adjustment. Athletic talent must win out if the other team catches you with an unknown look.

My personal fan experience with Head Coach meddling is that it tends not to work, though the sample size is small and tends to happen with teams already in trouble. McCarthy has had a large body of success on the O side and he is a big believer in not spreading himself thin with duties and multiple jobs. So I think he leaves Dom alone after Dom comes up with a defensive plan that uses ALL the parts in their ideal spots.

I almost feels like an ultimatum to Capers. It's never good when the boss has to get involved with your work, especially when it's not his specialty.

mraynrand
05-14-2014, 07:55 AM
I want to see the Packer Beat media echo that....come Dec. 2014.

I'd rather have the Packer defense play up to it's talent level which, APRH, should be above the NFL average.

wist43
05-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Well ...

There was the little matter of 2012 ....

Well, the 49ers certainly made a fool of Capers - as I remember. 8,999 yds, and 6 billion pts. Kapnerfucker is still running.

texaspackerbacker
05-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Yes, for a LOT of reasons already mentioned personnel-wise, the Packers D should be a LOT better. I will add to that, NOT having two big fatties in the D-Line and I presume, having Raji on a very short leash. Much as I hate the disappointment that big lump has been, I think he will get slightly better as more of an attacker than space occupier. Also, hopefully getting Brad Jones out of the lineup/pairing Hawk with either Lattimore or Carl Bradford should help. I think Worthy will come back strong, and I expect to see Daniels and Boyd and Datone Jones on the field for a bigger percentage of snaps. Besides, with the offense we have - assuming Rodgers stays healthy, the D doesn't even need to get that much better to have an absolutely elite team.