PDA

View Full Version : Colt Lyerla in Packer Rookie Orientation

smuggler
05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Dude is batshit crazy, but talented. Almost certain to not work out...

Guiness
05-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Where did you see this??? I'm shocked, it seemed like no one wanted to touch this guy. Doesn't he still have some outstanding charges?

edit: it's up on PFT. Wow
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/packers-giving-colt-lyerla-a-tryout-this-weekend/

You get your wish Woody, you wanted the Packers to give this guy a look!

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Great Quote:

He also fell victim to the modern plague of saying stupid things on Twitter, which some people take more seriously than drugs.

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 12:08 PM
My view of Twitter: Every post should have a certain take-back period, from an hour to a day, where you can just say "that was posted by 'not me'" I didn't mean it, it was a mistake, move along, nothing to see here. It's shouldn't be like a blog where you can't ever erase a post or a thread, for example.

http://tdc-images.s3.amazonaws.com/520-HoneyBooBoo-FamilyCircus-5.jpg

Packgator
05-16-2014, 12:24 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 12:44 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent

TT may think he's "My Zach Erts." Either way it might be true, because if it goes south, TT might take a shot in the nuts from Murphy.

Packgator
05-16-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/2/21/5432406/2014-nfl-draft-colt-lyerla-oregon-eagles

Pugger
05-16-2014, 12:57 PM
I wonder what harm would it be to sign him to a UDFA contract and see what happens? We won't have a lot invested in him so if it doesn't work out we aren't out much. But if he can get his act together...!

Brandon494
05-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Small town of Green Bay is the best place for him. Hopefully a vet takes him under his wing because kid has talent if he can get his head on straight.

pittstang5
05-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Definitely not your definition of "Packer People"

This will be interesting, if he's signed. Packers won't have much invested. First sign of trouble and he's gone.

Guiness
05-16-2014, 01:19 PM

This will be interesting, if he's signed. Packers won't have much invested. First sign of trouble and he's gone.

That's what I'd expect. If he does get out of hand, I'm not sure how much trouble he could cause before they send him on his way. As far as $$$ invested, would it be much more than traveling expenses and room and board? lol

Brandon494
05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

Damn I hope this kid can turn it around.

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 01:34 PM
He's like Spencer Havner with talent.

Brandon494
05-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Colt Lyerla invited to Green Bay Packers rookie minicamp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350749/article/colt-lyerla-invited-to-green-bay-packers-rookie-minicamp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bnxm1RDIEAADivS.jpg

MadScientist
05-16-2014, 01:42 PM

That's what I'd expect. If he does get out of hand, I'm not sure how much trouble he could cause before they send him on his way. As far as $$$ invested, would it be much more than traveling expenses and room and board? lol

There is a small per diem, but the money risk is trivial. Despite being a twittiot, I don't think he's a big risk for serious, violent crime. The real problem would be if starts looking really good and makes the team, then after a few pay checks starts back on drugs. The Packers can cut him without any additional loss, but the player they would have kept without him may well be long gone. Taking a spot on the 90 man roster isn't a big issue as the 90th guy is almost certainly a camp body anyway.

run pMc
05-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Kid's got talent. Question is whether his head is on straight or not and if he's learned from his stupid antics.
They brought Johnny Jolly back after time in the slammer, so I'm not sure it's an issue bringing Lyerla in for a cup of coffee and a closer look. It's just rookie camp. If he's ok they'll bring him back for the real deal, but I'd think his odds are long. My goodness though, he brings some athleticism and really fights for YAC.

I realize he's the HC and not the GM, but I find it interesting that Chip Kelly didn't bring him in for a tryout with the Eagles. I heard Lyerla went off the rails when Kelly left Oregon.

Just Jeff
05-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Lyerla > R Rodgers

Guiness
05-16-2014, 01:52 PM
There is a small per diem, but the money risk is trivial. Despite being a twittiot, I don't think he's a big risk for serious, violent crime. The real problem would be if starts looking really good and makes the team, then after a few pay checks starts back on drugs. The Packers can cut him without any additional loss, but the player they would have kept without him may well be long gone. Taking a spot on the 90 man roster isn't a big issue as the 90th guy is almost certainly a camp body anyway.

And I assume that doesn't count against the salary cap, so even less of a concern. No contract, so no signing bonus. Probably the only way they could end up on the hook for anything is if he signed one of those waivers and gets himself hurt.

Zool
05-16-2014, 01:59 PM

That kid has got a little Gronk in him. Maybe he's the 2014 Burfict.

smuggler
05-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Jolly's drug problem was mostly a legal matter. Be it drugs, brain damage, or a psychological disorder, Lyerla's problem is mostly behavioral and not legal. Big difference.

Packgator
05-16-2014, 02:06 PM
"Colt is just like the other 58 -- he's one of the 58. He's done things in his college career, and we're fully aware of everything that every prospect has done on and off the field," said Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. "And with that, we felt that he's earned the opportunity as a tryout player to earn a spot to go to training. I'm excited to watch all these guys."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350749/article/colt-lyerla-invited-to-green-bay-packers-rookie-minicamp

denverYooper
05-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Speaking of jolly...

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 14m
The #Packers still had a locker for @JermichaelF88, but Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly's nameplates were both gone, whatever that means.

Guiness
05-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm surprised there has been no news about Pickett, I expected him to be signed, with the Packers or elsewhere by now. He said he wanted to play another season.

I am seriously surprised by this development. I never would have predicted that the Packers would be the team to bring him in. With his reported talent level, when he wasn't drafted or signed later the same day as a UDFA, I assumed he had some outstanding legal issues that had to be cleaned up before anyone looked at him.

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm surprised there has been no news about Pickett, I expected him to be signed, with the Packers or elsewhere by now. He said he wanted to play another season.

Pickett signed a one year contract with his living room couch. He might move if there's a rash of injuries somewhere in the NFL, hopefully not in GB.

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 03:15 PM
In the weeks after his dismissal from Oregon for a violation of team rules last year, Lyerla was charged with cocaine possession and compounded the problem by running from police.

I'd like to see the measureables for the Cop who chased him down.

Guiness
05-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Pickett signed a one year contract with his living room couch. He might move if there's a rash of injuries somewhere in the NFL, hopefully not in GB.

That's what I was wondering, did he decide to hang them up. But then I would've expected a retirement announcement. Maybe he's just not answering the phone, hoping to skip the offseason work and show up somewhere for TC.

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
The most recent thing I see on Pickett is a Cowboys' blog suggesting he could shore up a hole there. Didn't seem enthusiastic at all.

Cheesehead Craig
05-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Another article on the guy. I thought the same as red, maybe he's this year's Burfict. Worth a shot if nothing else.

Is Lyerla Worth The Risk? (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent#articles/2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent)

Guiness
05-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Another article on the guy. I thought the same as red, maybe he's this year's Burfict. Worth a shot if nothing else.

Is Lyerla Worth The Risk? (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent#articles/2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent)

Not sure the two are comparable, other than highly rated coming out of highschool.

Burfict's problem was that he performed poorly on the field and tanked at the combine. There were reports of drugs, but it was just marijuana, and no scrapes with the police I heard about. Lyerla seems to have played and tested well, but some pretty hard drugs and other problems.

QBME
05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
6'-4". 242 lbs. Fast & nasty.

Played ILB in high school. Hmmmmm........

MadScientist
05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Jolly's drug problem was mostly a legal matter. Be it drugs, brain damage, or a psychological disorder, Lyerla's problem is mostly behavioral and not legal. Big difference.

Not sure what you mean by mostly a legal matter. He had a drug addiction, everything else stemmed from that. It took the shock of jail to finally get him to do what was necessary to get his life under control. Lyerla has an addiction to worse drugs, and we don't have enough information to properly asses what problems he might have beyond the drugs without getting him cleaned up first.

Smidgeon
05-16-2014, 04:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

That was a fun highlight package. Kid fought for more yards after contact than a semi driving through into a house.

pbmax
05-16-2014, 06:43 PM
I wonder what harm would it be to sign him to a UDFA contract and see what happens? We won't have a lot invested in him so if it doesn't work out we aren't out much. But if he can get his act together...!

Several teams felt this way. I don't know who his agent is (missed it on radio if mentioned) but the guy has a good relationship with the Packers and pointed the kid in their direction. But Dougherty (the guy reporting this) said he has multiple offers to consider for UDFA.

pbmax
05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
My view of Twitter: Every post should have a certain take-back period, from an hour to a day, where you can just say "that was posted by 'not me'" I didn't mean it, it was a mistake, move along, nothing to see here. It's shouldn't be like a blog where you can't ever erase a post or a thread, for example.

[]

If it was one Tweet (or say four in a row) I would agree. But he spent an hour arguing with someone on his feed and was also Retweeting those who supported him. That's not just a brain fart or Tweet gone wrong.

He wanted* you to seriously consider that the Sandy Hook shooting was arranged by the Federal Government and that the parents of the dead children are lying in support.

http://dailyemerald.com/2013/03/21/uo-football-player-colt-lyerla-tweets-controversial-conspiracy-theory-about-sandy-hook-shooting/

His stay with the Packers, if there is one, won't end well.

* EDIT: changed to past tense. Perhaps he has changed his mind.

Brandon494
05-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Who knows really but people can change, hopefully not being drafted was a wake up call for him. I don't know how he is going to act once he acquires NFL type money but we have a strong enough locker room for us to take a chance on this kid. TT has a track record with Koren Robinson and Jolly who have had problems with substance abuse so I could see Lyerla making the 53 man roster.

mraynrand
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
If it was one Tweet (or say four in a row) I would agree. But he spent an hour arguing with someone on his feed and was also Retweeting those who supported him. That's not just a brain fart or Tweet gone wrong.

He wanted* you to seriously consider that the Sandy Hook shooting was arranged by the Federal Government and that the parents of the dead children are lying in support.

http://dailyemerald.com/2013/03/21/uo-football-player-colt-lyerla-tweets-controversial-conspiracy-theory-about-sandy-hook-shooting/

You're right of course. He sold himself as insane, or more likely, extremely immature and stupid. But with twitter, social media, recording devices, etc. one moment of immaturity (or two, or three, or more) is becoming death sentences for people, even if stuff is totally 'private,' notwithstanding whether it is racist, crazy, or otherwise reprehensible. Taken as a whole I think it is not good, even though there are some redeeming qualities.

Bretsky
05-17-2014, 07:13 AM
ON BOARD; offer him a nice signing bonus. He shows way better IMO than our 3rd round draft pick. He's got plenty of baggage but talent wise this guy looks like he has it Nice size...catches ball well with his hands..turns upfield...and plays fast

Joemailman
05-17-2014, 08:01 AM
ON BOARD; offer him a nice signing bonus. He shows way better IMO than our 3rd round draft pick. He's got plenty of baggage but talent wise this guy looks like he has it Nice size...catches ball well with his hands..turns upfield...and plays fast

I think the last thing this guy needs is a big signing bonus. He needs to understand he needs to earn anything he gets. Let's find out how bad he wants it. The talent is there if he's committed.

pbmax
05-17-2014, 09:06 AM
You're right of course. He sold himself as insane, or more likely, extremely immature and stupid. But with twitter, social media, recording devices, etc. one moment of immaturity (or two, or three, or more) is becoming death sentences for people, even if stuff is totally 'private,' notwithstanding whether it is racist, crazy, or otherwise reprehensible. Taken as a whole I think it is not good, even though there are some redeeming qualities.

Its a great question and one I am curious if the Packers have considered and answered.

Do those actions indicate fleeting but unlikely to be repeated momentarily stupidity or is there something deeper going on?

I think the trouble he had with the team (one absence was reported, though not confirmed, to be a rehab stay, another absence wasn't explained nor was his decision to leave) is indicative that the Twitter outburst might be the least of his troubles. At least from a football standpoint.

HarveyWallbangers
05-17-2014, 09:08 AM

Of course, he shows better than our third round pick. You could say that about almost every TE in the draft. This is a first round talent. Based on talent alone, he's probably a better prospect than anybody but Ebron and ASJ. Probably better than Amaro. No to a big signing bonus.

pbmax
05-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Strictly on the football side, how worried are the Packers about pass catching TEs and that they brought him in?

It seems like they have serious doubts about Finley's return, despite M3's optimism earlier this Spring.

Carolina_Packer
05-17-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm assuming that if he passes the first hurdle and gets signed off of this rookie try-out, there will be conditions he must meet.

I wonder if you could sign a guy like Lyerla and if you can't hide his issues in his first year, talk to him about putting him on injured reserve (not sure if you can reserve a guy for mental issues or addiction, but there's a first for everything).

He's signed to a college free agent deal, he's not taking up much money, and before saying, "just cut him if he acts up", what if someone really fought for the kid and showed him some loyalty with the possibility that he gets helps, gets right and then only has to worry about football? It would be a calculated risk, and it could turn him into a success story, rather than another in a long line of guys who pissed away their potential.

Would there be team selfish reasons for doing something like that? Sure! If you hit on a guy like Lyerla after taking a chance on him, it could be an incredible weapon for the offense. I say if you sign him, fight like hell for him because he's a kid who needs it, and hopefully he will repay the favor, but he will never be able have a career until he gets drugs out of his life. I'm rooting for him no matter what the Packers decide.

Pugger
05-17-2014, 09:59 AM
That was a fun highlight package. Kid fought for more yards after contact than a semi driving through into a house.

After watching him blast thru tacklers if he were black and had dreads he would resemble Lacy! :-)

Pugger
05-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Several teams felt this way. I don't know who his agent is (missed it on radio if mentioned) but the guy has a good relationship with the Packers and pointed the kid in their direction. But Dougherty (the guy reporting this) said he has multiple offers to consider for UDFA.

We are also known for giving UDFAs a real chance to make roster.

Willard
05-17-2014, 10:23 AM
The Pack is chasing the niners after 3 or 4 (?) consecutive losses. The niners have questionable characters on their team, and they are bringing in more questionable characters this spring to try to get better. Clearly the Packer brass has decided to follow this path else fall further behind. Maybe they are right, the end justifies the means. Let's just stop this nonsense about Packer People. It may help us fans feel morally superior to Bengal fans, lion fans, and Niner fans -- but it is bullshit.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Strictly on the football side, how worried are the Packers about pass catching TEs and that they brought him in?

It seems like they have serious doubts about Finley's return, despite M3's optimism earlier this Spring.

"We are exploring all options"

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 11:07 AM
The Pack is chasing the niners after 3 or 4 (?) consecutive losses. The niners have questionable characters on their team, and they are bringing in more questionable characters this spring to try to get better. Clearly the Packer brass has decided to follow this path else fall further behind. Maybe they are right, the end justifies the means. Let's just stop this nonsense about Packer People. It may help us fans feel morally superior to Bengal fans, lion fans, and Niner fans -- but it is bullshit.

BenGALs hire former/current? strippers. Packers bring in frumpy college cheerleaders. We are better.
http://ultimateparlaycards.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ben-gals.jpg
http://ultimatecheerleaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2011-2012-Bengals-Calendar_2011-10-Nicole-Toney.jpghttp://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/clubimages/custom-modules/featured_gallery130916.jpghttp://deepcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/chel3.jpg
Or are we worse?

pbmax
05-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Sometimes a guitar isn't just a guitar.

Pugger
05-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Maybe the Bengals need to have sexy cheerleaders so there is something worth watching in Cincy during home games. ;-)

pbmax
05-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Does it make me creepy that when I see grown women cheerleading for a professional team I think "C'mon, this is a bit archaic and you are too old for this".

See them with a college team (don't watch High School football but I assume it follows) and I think "Well, of course they need to be there, its a tradition and all. How else would I know when to chant GO BIG RED".

Willard
05-17-2014, 12:48 PM
BenGALs hire former/current? strippers. Packers bring in frumpy college cheerleaders. We are better.
http://ultimateparlaycards.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ben-gals.jpg
http://ultimatecheerleaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2011-2012-Bengals-Calendar_2011-10-Nicole-Toney.jpghttp://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/clubimages/custom-modules/featured_gallery130916.jpghttp://deepcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/chel3.jpg
Or are we worse? I would need to compare their tweets before reaching a conclusion.

Carolina_Packer
05-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Like Colt Lyerla, this thread has gone a bit sideways. :-)

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Does it make me creepy that when I see grown women cheerleading for a professional team I think "C'mon, this is a bit archaic and you are too old for this".

See them with a college team (don't watch High School football but I assume it follows) and I think "Well, of course they need to be there, its a tradition and all. How else would I know when to chant GO BIG RED".

Our High School cheerleaders used to chant: "Ooo sah sah sah, Ooo sah sah sah, Hit 'em in the head with a big kielbasa."

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 01:39 PM

What are you talking about? Character is still very important to the Packers and its the reason we are able to take a chance on a kid like Lyerla with our strong locker room. Its also not BS when your team rarely has to worry about off the field drama.

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 01:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXF78SREnM

Carolina_Packer
05-17-2014, 01:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/packers-giving-colt-lyerla-a-tryout-this-weekend/

Interesting note from the comments section (if true):

morg14 says:
May 16, 2014 6:25 PM
“He who is without sin may cast the first stone”

I have had the privilege of growing up with Colt and it is absolutely appalling to me that people who only know what the media says about him can make judgements on his character. Everyone screws up but it is not anyone’s place to say if they believe he has grown up or not without even knowing him personally. Colt will get through all of this and he will be a better person because of it. I have never known Colt to be anything less than humble and he is always the first to admit when he has made a mistake. He is a bright young man with a gift for the game and it should be utilized by someone. I just hope that comments from people like the many above don’t screw it up for him.

Noodle
05-17-2014, 02:01 PM

I'm the exact same way. I take a back seat to no one in getin' my creepy on, but I think pro football cheerleaders are absurd and add nothing to the atmosphere of the game, unlike college cheerleaders (Go Bucky!). I've been proud that the Pack hasn't gone that route. But it won't shock me if the Pack were to add them as another potential source of revenue.

Of course, pro basketball is the worse. They might as well be giving lapdances to the guys siting in the front row. Apparently, Red Auerbach was against the idea. Legend is that he was barely cold in his grave when the Celts trotted out their new dance team. Tradition!

Yeah, I'm old.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 02:08 PM
What are you talking about? Character is still very important to the Packers and its the reason we are able to take a chance on a kid like Lyerla with our strong locker room. Its also not BS when your team rarely has to worry about off the field drama.

I agree that NFL teams differ with respect to emphasis and track record vis-à-vis character. But the minute I want to get all high and mighty about it, a Darren Sharper or Favre (pain killers, infidelity, crock shot) story hits the fan. Always have to remove the plank before noticing the speck I suppose....

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm the exact same way. I take a back seat to no one in getin' my creepy on, but I think pro football cheerleaders are absurd and add nothing to the atmosphere of the game, unlike college cheerleaders (Go Bucky!). I've been proud that the Pack hasn't gone that route. But it won't shock me if the Pack were to add them as another potential source of revenue.

Of course, pro basketball is the worse. They might as well be giving lapdances to the guys siting in the front row. Apparently, Red Auerbach was against the idea. Legend is that he was barely cold in his grave when the Celts trotted out their new dance team. Tradition!

Yeah, I'm old.

I kinda enjoy observing attractive women, but time and place. I'd be perfectly happy if they removed the strippers from NFL stadiums. I see plenty when the Vic Secret catalog comes in the mail...

pbmax
05-17-2014, 02:24 PM

Interesting note from the comments section (if true):

morg14 says:
May 16, 2014 6:25 PM
“He who is without sin may cast the first stone”

I have had the privilege of growing up with Colt and it is absolutely appalling to me that people who only know what the media says about him can make judgements on his character. Everyone screws up but it is not anyone’s place to say if they believe he has grown up or not without even knowing him personally. Colt will get through all of this and he will be a better person because of it. I have never known Colt to be anything less than humble and he is always the first to admit when he has made a mistake. He is a bright young man with a gift for the game and it should be utilized by someone. I just hope that comments from people like the many above don’t screw it up for him.

Even if we grant everything in this message, its still true that:

1. He has not specifically addressed ANYTHING other than to say he made a mistake. What mistake(s), what they were and what he has done to correct them remain unanswered. Its his right to choose to discuss or not, but after committing public errors, don't ask me to accept that you have changed without evidence.

2. He has not even explained the circumstances of his leaving the team. Was he kicked off, leave of his own volition?

3. The Packers having him in for a tryout is not much evidence of anything. Thompson said he talked to him and thinks people in general people deserve a second chance, however he might be on his third chance, depending on when you start counting.

4. He would not be on this roster if Finley wasn't scared to death of getting injured again, which of course has led him to getting injured again.

Willard
05-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I'll agree with you that MM, TT, Murphy and Harlan before him believe in bringing in high character players. They probably understand the pride the community has for its team (unsurpassed in theleague) and don't want to bring embarrassment to the fan base. But what this guy did is hard to understand or overlook for me. And I am not talking about the blow. There is no deeper pain in the human condition than losing a child. Nothing compares. And for this punk to piss all over those parents in CT makes methink there is something seriously wrong with him. Several other teams must feel the same way. The Pack decided to give him a chance. He will be surrounded by potential role models and maybe he turns it all around with the help of those other packer people. My problem is I don't give 2 shits if this punk doesn't make it especially if he never acknowledges what he has said and why he decided to be such an asshole.

Anyway, not trying to be a downer. I am usually not very serious when I post but this story struck a nerve.

bobblehead
05-17-2014, 04:36 PM

So dumb people can't be great football players? Carl Everett once disputed that man landed on the moon and he played 13 years and hit 200HR. I think some kid buying into a conspiracy theory is forgivable. In a good light it shows that he engages in outside the box thinking.

edit: I almost forgot...Everett didn't believe dinosaurs ever walked the earth either.

bobblehead
05-17-2014, 04:40 PM
After watching him blast thru tacklers if he were black and had dreads he would resemble Lacy! :-)

So what you are saying is that he doesn't resemble lacy in the least other than ability to break tackles.

bobblehead
05-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Our High School cheerleaders used to chant: "Ooo sah sah sah, Ooo sah sah sah, Hit 'em in the head with a big kielbasa."

YOu went to high school in Pulaski?

Joemailman
05-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Serious question: Does taking cocaine contribute to people having irrational and/or paranoid thoughts that mind end up on Twitter? If so, is there a chance he turns things around if he stays off the cocaine?

red
05-17-2014, 04:51 PM
the one problem i have with bringing the guy in, and it has nothing to do with money. i see some folks saying"well we aren't paying him anything so there's no loss if he acts up and we have to cut him".

the problem i have is that if/when he goes full on aaron hernandez, it will most likely be in the city of green bay, and the headlines around the country will read "green bay packer colt lyerla has (insert hi-anus crime/act)"

red
05-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Serious question: Does taking cocaine contribute to people having irrational and/or paranoid thoughts that mind end up on Twitter? If so, is there a chance he turns things around if he stays off the cocaine?

thats a big IF

Mazzin
05-17-2014, 05:08 PM
The stuff he said about the parents being "fakes" is certainly over the line. Although on the other hand there are a TON of questions surrounding the events of the shooting, and I would certainly not put it past our government to do something like this to get greater gun control in the country. I mean look at 9/11 its SUPER obvious that it wasn't terrorist, way to may questions, like why would building 7 COLLAPSE in on itself when it didn't even get hit. The government will do some fucked up stuff to have greater control of its people...So I get WHAT he is saying, but have no clue why you would put it like that. Either way the kid looks like a beast on the field, I'm quite smitten over us signing him. Hell, I say we give him cocaine on game day, how do you think he was so hard to tackle :)

QBME
05-17-2014, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;786686]Serious question: Does taking cocaine contribute to people having irrational and/or paranoid thoughts that mind end up on Twitter? If so, is there a chance he turns things around if he stays off the cocaine?[/QUOTE

Absolutely. Cocaine is not physically addicting. It's an alkaloide, not an opiate. It's strictly a psychosis drug, leading to eurohia, eventually leading to paranoia. Give him an environment of tough love and he will excell.

He will turn out to be one of TTs brilliant moves.

pbmax
05-17-2014, 05:41 PM
So dumb people can't be great football players? Carl Everett once disputed that man landed on the moon and he played 13 years and hit 200HR. I think some kid buying into a conspiracy theory is forgivable. In a good light it shows that he engages in outside the box thinking.

edit: I almost forgot...Everett didn't believe dinosaurs ever walked the earth either.

Not at all. But dumb players with drug issues who leave the team for unexplained reasons after making a public spectacle of themselves don't tend to last very long.

pbmax
05-17-2014, 05:44 PM
:bang:

pittstang5
05-17-2014, 06:55 PM
This is going to be interesting. Classic, "Is the reward worth the risk."

At this point, we just don't know where this kid's head is. Is he a new man? Is he just bullshitting? Who the fuck knows? However, I will say this, he's got one hell of an agent for TT to even think about bringing his ass in here for a tryout.

However, you can't bullshit a bullshitter. If he's signed, IMO, it's a not a question of "IF" this kid will fuck up, but "WHEN" this kid fuck up. The odds are not in his favor. If he's turned it around, I'll be happy I'm wrong. The kids got too much talent to just piss it away.

Rutnstrut
05-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Why do you say it won't end well? All the cookie cutter "perfect" behavior players don't always end well either. Aren't you one that always touts trust in TT and stubby, they know more than we do?

red
05-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Why do you say it won't end well? All the cookie cutter "perfect" behavior players don't always end well either. Aren't you one that always touts trust in TT and stubby, they know more than we do?

he didn't have 1 or 2 little incidents that got him booted from the team which then forced him to look at himself in the mirror

he's had a string of incidents then quit the team after they disciplined him for some of those incidents. then insted of using that as a wake up (even though he quit), he got busted for having coke. then instead of saying "ok, my career is in jeopardy, i need to clean things up", he takes to twitter and says some of the most insensitive things since hitler was quoted as saying that jews put off a nice glow and aroma

there is something really not right with the kid, and he acts like he's entitled to the world. imo, it is a question of when not if with him

just gotta hope he doesn't take out a whole neighborhood in green bay when he snaps and climbs up a clock tower

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 07:30 PM
he didn't have 1 or 2 little incidents that got him booted from the team which then forced him to look at himself in the mirror

he's had a string of incidents then quit the team after they disciplined him for some of those incidents. then insted of using that as a wake up (even though he quit), he got busted for having coke. then instead of saying "ok, my career is in jeopardy, i need to clean things up", he takes to twitter and says some of the most insensitive things since hitler was quoted as saying that jews put off a nice glow and aroma

there is something really not right with the kid, and he acts like he's entitled to the world. imo, it is a question of when not if with him

just gotta hope he doesn't take out a whole neighborhood in green bay when he snaps and climbs up a clock tower

I think Hitler was more insensitive.

pbmax
05-17-2014, 08:16 PM

I trust they have more info than I do. I do not assume everything they touch turns to gold.

I think the Lyerla signing is desperation at TE. I could be completely wrong on this, but I don't believe Koren Robinson wouldn't have been signed either had the team had an effective WR corp at the time.

When this team has taken a character risk, its usually been out of desperation (see also, Johnny Jolly).

Cheesehead Craig
05-17-2014, 08:20 PM
I say go for it Packers! If the talent is there, bring him on board and babysit the guy. All for the move.

We can sit here and play the "what if" game for any potential bad thing to happen with him but that's just fear winning. Can't let that stop the Pack from taking a gamble every now and then like this.

Rutnstrut
05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Makes sense guys, I admittedly know very little about the kid. I just like to see these athletes with past problems get a chance. It seems that when/if they finally figure it out, that they play like a man possessed.

Freak Out
05-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Packers have had crazy fuckers on the team before.

esoxx
05-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Give Colt Listeria a chance.

Joemailman
05-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Colt Lyerla snorted coke. Donald Driver probably sold coke. Some guys are able to recover from a rough early life, and some don't. Lyerla could turn out to be another Donald Driver, or he could be Lawrence Phillips. We don't know, but some are able to overcome the odds.

esoxx
05-17-2014, 09:33 PM
The stuff he said about the parents being "fakes" is certainly over the line. Although on the other hand there are a TON of questions surrounding the events of the shooting, and I would certainly not put it past our government to do something like this to get greater gun control in the country. I mean look at 9/11 its SUPER obvious that it wasn't terrorist, way to may questions, like why would building 7 COLLAPSE in on itself when it didn't even get hit. The government will do some fucked up stuff to have greater control of its people...So I get WHAT he is saying, but have no clue why you would put it like that. Either way the kid looks like a beast on the field, I'm quite smitten over us signing him. Hell, I say we give him cocaine on game day, how do you think he was so hard to tackle :)

Yes, it's super obvious 9/11 "wasn't terrorist." :roll:

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Building collapsing from the bottom and no plane wreckage at the Pentagon...now I'm not saying the Government planed it but some things just don't add up.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 10:07 PM
The stuff he said about the parents being "fakes" is certainly over the line. Although on the other hand there are a TON of questions surrounding the events of the shooting, and I would certainly not put it past our government to do something like this to get greater gun control in the country. I mean look at 9/11 its SUPER obvious that it wasn't terrorist, way to may questions, like why would building 7 COLLAPSE in on itself when it didn't even get hit. The government will do some fucked up stuff to have greater control of its people...So I get WHAT he is saying, but have no clue why you would put it like that.

Hey, take it to FYI!! Wait, on second thought - please don't.

denverYooper
05-17-2014, 10:12 PM
I didn't realize we had any structural engineers on the site.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 10:13 PM
I didn't realize we had any structural engineers on the site.

We don't - just demolitions experts.

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 10:23 PM
You don't have to be a expert to wonder how building 7 collapsed when it was never hit by a plane.

denverYooper
05-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Steel starts acting really funny when it gets too hot.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 10:40 PM
You don't have to be an expert (e.g a psychiatrist) to wonder why people believe in conspiracy theories.

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Steel starts acting really funny when it gets too hot.

Well 1700+ Engineers and Architects support a real independent 9/11 investigation so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Lyerla is already dividing the locker room.

call_me_ishmael
05-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Doesn't seem like the type of person the Packers keep around. Then again, neither does the guy they had previously what with his running his mouth to the media causing drama and allegations of 10+ children with different women.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Doesn't seem like the type of person the Packers keep around. Then again, neither does the guy they had previously what with his running his mouth to the media causing drama and allegations of 10+ children with different women.

Mike Sherman?

esoxx
05-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Well 1700+ Engineers and Architects support a real independent 9/11 investigation so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Impressive. 1,700+ Engineers and Architects support an independent 9/11 investigation.

The other 1,850,000+ Engineers and Architects do not.

Compelling evidence of a conspiracy no doubt. :lol:

Brandon494
05-17-2014, 11:14 PM
n/m

run pMc
05-17-2014, 11:36 PM
I actually don't think he's gonna go postal while he's in GB. I think he's talented and worth a rookie camp invite. Maybe he's turned it around, maybe he hasn't...they'll find out when he's in the heat of competition and has to take some coaching. I always got the impression that he was attached to Chip Kelly and when he left and the new HC came in he didn't bond so well...probably didn't like the way he was being used in the offense or maybe he was with a bad crowd filling his head with stupid ideas.

As for what this says about the TE position, I think drafting R.Rodgers is more telling that Finley isn't coming back than bringing Lyerla in. They bring UDFA TE into rookie camp all the time (2, counting Lyerla) so I don't know if I'd read more than that into. They have a couple of guys I can't remember besides RRodgers, Bostick, Quarless Taylor and Stoneburner, and I don't know these unknowns are going to take a roster spot.

Everybody's all excited because the draft just ended and rookies are showing up. The season needs to start so we can worry about the defense instead of rookie camp invitees.

MadScientist
05-18-2014, 01:31 AM
We should know pretty soon if the Packers think he is really worth the risk. Tomorrow or Monday he will either have a UDFA contract or just a plane ticket out.

bobblehead
05-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Not at all. But dumb players with drug issues who leave the team for unexplained reasons after making a public spectacle of themselves don't tend to last very long.

yea, you just went from Carl Everett to Ron Artest...and added in drug use.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Exactly.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 08:45 AM
yea, you just went from Carl Everett to Ron Artest...and added in drug use.

I wouldn't put past drug use past Artest, but he really did seem to turn himself around eventually. Before that though, there was the matter of his rather long suspension.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 08:54 AM
The season needs to start so we can worry about the defense instead of rookie camp invitees.

I am pbmax and I support this message. Colt Lysterine is a distraction from the issues that truly matter in Packer Nation. Who the hell is our backup nose tackle?

pbmax
05-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13h
#Packers sleeping on the decision. Barring a bad night sleep, it appears they will sign Lyerla, according to source.

Pugger
05-18-2014, 09:41 AM

And you know this how?

Carolina_Packer
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
And you know this how?

I'm guessing it was just joking banter, unless pbmax or Brandon494 say otherwise.

Teamcheez1
05-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Lyerla is a low risk signing. He'll likely get a few thousand dollars as a signing bonus, and a bare bones contract to go with it.

The first time he crosses the line, the team sends him packing. Who cares if he takes up 1 of 90 roster spots?

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Sign him. Jimmy Graham 2.0.

In the contract put that he must sleep at the stadium until February.

Willard
05-18-2014, 11:21 AM
And you know this how?
I believe the locker room in Brandon's post referred to Packerrats members. Please pass the Lysol. I don't want to catch anything in here.

mraynrand
05-18-2014, 12:03 PM
I believe the locker room in Brandon's post referred to Packerrats members. Please pass the Lysol. I don't want to catch anything in here.

Madtown bleached the place after The Skinbasket left. I can still smell the stench.

Brandon494
05-18-2014, 01:10 PM
And you know this how?

Because I smoked pot with him....it was me, Johnny Hopkins and Colt Lyerla and they were blazing that shit up everyday.

red
05-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Lyerla is a low risk signing. He'll likely get a few thousand dollars as a signing bonus, and a bare bones contract to go with it.

The first time he crosses the line, the team sends him packing. Who cares if he takes up 1 of 90 roster spots?

again

the one problem i have with bringing the guy in, and it has nothing to do with money. i see some folks saying"well we aren't paying him anything so there's no loss if he acts up and we have to cut him".

the problem i have is that if/when he goes full on aaron hernandez, it will most likely be in the city of green bay, and the headlines around the country will read "green bay packer colt lyerla has (insert hi-anus crime/act)"

gbgary
05-18-2014, 01:46 PM

never heard of him but...THIS! can't hurt a thing.

i understand red's concerns though. is this dude a threat to others or just himself? if it's just himself, drugs or whatever, than so be it. if he's a threat to others than stay away.

bobblehead
05-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't put past drug use past Artest, but he really did seem to turn himself around eventually. Before that though, there was the matter of his rather long suspension.

I don't think Artest ever used drugs. He was an absolute flake, but he did respect his body. Ron was an extremely intelligent dude who never had any upbringing or concept of acceptable behavior. He turned it around eventually because he is such a sharp guy.

gbgary
05-18-2014, 02:14 PM
read up on the guy. seems pretty dicey. if we sign him i think he'll be gone the first time time veers off course.

Brandon494
05-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Colt Lyerla reminds me more of Josh Hamilton then he does Ron Artest. I honestly believed he was coked up while he wrote those things on twitter.

gbgary
05-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Colt Lyerla reminds me more of Josh Hamilton then he does Ron Artest. I honestly believed he was coked up while he wrote those things on twitter.

josh hamilton...probably a good analogy.

red
05-18-2014, 02:38 PM

so if thats the case,he was still using coke after he got arrested for it

in other words,he didn't learn from a pretty big wake up call

so why would anyone think he could or would clean up

Brandon494
05-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Maybe he had not seeked help yet, I don't know. I think its worth the risk to let him try out, he might fail a drug test but hes not the type to go full Hernandez.

mraynrand
05-18-2014, 03:09 PM

This needed a pic

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/lane-smith-my-cousin-vinny-movie-photo-GC.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
05-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Because I smoked pot with him....it was me, Johnny Hopkins and Colt Lyerla and they were blazing that shit up everyday.

THAT'S who kept texting me that night. You fuckers.

red
05-18-2014, 03:28 PM
This needed a pic

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/lane-smith-my-cousin-vinny-movie-photo-GC.jpg

i put that in there just for you. i figured if anyone would catch that it was you

mraynrand
05-18-2014, 03:46 PM
^^ thank you

pbmax
05-18-2014, 03:58 PM

I thought Colt's thing was cocaine? Is he now using weed to wean himself from coke?

Brandon494
05-18-2014, 06:02 PM
I thought Colt's thing was cocaine? Is he now using weed to wean himself from coke?

We laced the weed with coke.

mission
05-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Coke can make a smart man pretty stupid and it's impossible to see your ways until something happens big enough to open your eyes. Hopefully he's had his moment (or three).

I have a nice house in the burbs with a beautiful family, co-own a multi-million dollar company and 6-7 years ago all I was interested in was partying without a pot to piss in.

It's possible. For many, it's really just a bad chapter in their life rather than a fundamental character flaw that makes an individual incapable of a high level of success.
He can do it if he has a purpose. I'm rooting for him.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 06:14 PM
We laced the weed with coke.

C'mon, even I know that's dumb. You want to lace it with PCP.

In Madison that's known as the Brent Moss.

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 02:47 AM
so if thats the case,he was still using coke after he got arrested for it

in other words,he didn't learn from a pretty big wake up call

so why would anyone think he could or would clean up

Tweets came before his arrest.

woodbuck27
05-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Where did you see this??? I'm shocked, it seemed like no one wanted to touch this guy. Doesn't he still have some outstanding charges?

edit: it's up on PFT. Wow

You get your wish Woody, you wanted the Packers to give this guy a look!

Mae and I have been busy this weekend and I havn't visited Packerrats.

The stuff I'm reading on him now:

I need to re-assess him but in the real I'm surprized that the Packers are showing an interest. That's not in my view a really bad thing. It's the team that must evaluate him and not the Packer (NFL) fans. At least he's getting a shot. He has to be pleased with that Guiness.

There's a certain LBer in Cincy that most NFL teams shunned and should now see that was unfair to them and him. This fella is an enormous talent.

There's nothing wrong with a close look.

Bretsky
05-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Sign him already; did we get this done or did he leave GB w/o a contract ?

Joemailman
05-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Sign him already; did we get this done or did he leave GB w/o a contract ?

I think a decision is supposed to happen today.

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 05:41 PM
After a good night sleep TT ends up signing Colt...

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140519/PKR0101/140519038

Joemailman
05-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Well, he and his agent are saying the right things. Hope he takes advantage of his opportunity.

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Via Twitter...

@LongLiveLyerla: I am honored to be a part of such a legendary organization. Proud to be a Green Bay Packer ! #GoPackGo

gbgary
05-19-2014, 06:17 PM
yup...done deal. let's hope it's only eventful ON the field.

pittstang5
05-19-2014, 06:24 PM
TT's history of signing players has shown us that he (TT) does his freakin homework. Unless this kid came in drunk or high to the practice and showed a little bit of promise, he was gonna get signed. His measurables are off the freakin charts for a TE. I respect TT's decision and hope it works out. Given the opportunity, this kid could not only be good, but could be great. If he earns A-Rods trust - watch the hell out.

I still have my doubts about this working out long term. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but he's a Packer now and I will cheer him on.

pbmax
05-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 37m
Just had two different people who I really, really respect who know @LongLiveLyerla tell me he's not a bad guy and they're pulling for him.

mission
05-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Just watched his highlights for the first time and he looks like a first round talent. There's a couple plays where it took like 15 guys to bring him down... musta been coked up. :lol: (sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WmPZZ3TWI

gbgary
05-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Matt Miller @nfldraftscout: With no off-field history, Lyerla would have been my No. 2 ranked TE in this class (behind Ebron) and a Rd2 grade.

a scout I follow on twitter.

hoosier
05-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Matt Millen @nfldraftscout: With no off-field history, Lyerla would have been my No. 2 ranked TE in this class (behind Ebron) and a Rd2 grade. a scout I follow on twitter.

Considering your scout's history of drafting receivers, we should give up all hope for Lyerla and start wishing the Packers would cut him before he does any damage. :-)

Carolina_Packer
05-19-2014, 08:10 PM
a scout I follow on twitter.

If Lyerla makes the 53 man and makes an impact, he may be more valuable to the Packers than Ebron to the Lions because I think Lyerla will be willing to inline block, as well as get open.

Guiness
05-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Mae and I have been busy this weekend and I havn't visited Packerrats.

The stuff I'm reading on him now:

I need to re-assess him but in the real I'm surprized that the Packers are showing an interest. That's not in my view a really bad thing. It's the team that must evaluate him and not the Packer (NFL) fans. At least he's getting a shot. He has to be pleased with that Guiness.

There's a certain LBer in Cincy that most NFL teams shunned and should now see that was unfair to them and him. This fella is an enormous talent.

There's nothing wrong with a close look.

Very happy they brought him in. Just happen to also be very shocked!

I don't understand why he's being compared to Burfict, nothing in common other than they both came out of HS as top recruits. Burfict had a few off-field problems, but his big issue is he did not perform well on the field, and bad-mouthed his coaches. Lyerla performed well on the field, but was a train wreck off it.

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Off talent alone, I'd go Ebron, ASJ, and then Lyerla. ASJ was hurt by injury concerns, but I think he's a stud also. Ebron is a first round talent. ASJ and Lyerla are borderline first round talents. I'd take those three before Amaro.

pbmax
05-19-2014, 09:54 PM
What would Cleft Crusty say about Lyerla when Cliff Christl was nearly apoplectic about TT signing Koren Robinson?

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Off talent alone, I'd go Ebron, ASJ, and then Lyerla. ASJ was hurt by injury concerns, but I think he's a stud also. Ebron is a first round talent. ASJ and Lyerla are borderline first round talents. I'd take those three before Amaro.

He definitely a 2nd round talent who will turn out to be a steal for us. Looking at his twitter he does seem to want to prove everyone wrong so he has the right attitude right now. I think hes a good kid who just made some bad choices and hes a lock to make the 53 IMO for whatever thats worth.

pbmax
05-20-2014, 08:32 AM
I hope he turns out well. It would be a needed shot n the arm for the receivers and TE in particular.

Given the way the draft fell and yielded Rodgers, Thompson clearly wasn't convinced the hole was plugged.

They have been burned twice before by players in bad spots (Robinson-got suspended shortly after joining the team and Jolly). They have had a turnaround success story (Lang). It'll be an embarrassment if he flames out, but they can survive it.

Not a fan but definitely worth the risk.

denverYooper
05-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Scoops is worried.

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 41m
Rest assured 31 other NFL teams raised eyebrows and wondered about leadership/direction in Green Bay after the signing of TE Lyerla.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3m
Hmmm. RT @BobMcGinn Rest assured 31 other teams raised eyebrows & wondered about leadership/direction in GB after Lyerla signing

pbmax
05-20-2014, 09:11 AM
What in God's green earth does that mean? Really, they are suddenly confused about who is in control? After Jolly and Robinson?

Bob is just about the clearest example of how access to information is not equivalent to clear thinking. If Belichick did this, he would be hailed as savior.

I don't think its a particularly good risk because this kid (for me) doesn't fit into the "got into trouble for a while at school" mold. The conspiracy theory, drug use and leaving of a team seem to argue for something more substantially wrong than youthful indiscretion.

But the risk is minimal if it goes south (short of a murder spree) , Thompson and McCarthy will both survive intact. And because its once again based on need (and that there are not that many gaping holes on this team) its clearly not the preferred method of doing business.

pbmax
05-20-2014, 09:18 AM
There was more.

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 1h
Here's what #Packers got in Colt Lyerla, based on pre-draft remarks by personnel people ... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-the-scouts-are-saying-about-colt-lyerla-b99273970z1-259883161.html …

Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy/board, welcoming fans show they can bottom-feed with the best signing off on TE Lyerla. What price glory?

#Packers had four-year history with DE Johnny Jolly before bringing him back. They had TE Lyerla for four days before signing him.

The last one makes some internal sense. However, I am not sure they knew anything more about Jolly's chance for success than Lyerla's EXCEPT for how he had previously played as a pro

If that is the threshold for taking a risk, then you are just arguing for a flexible character standard based on how good the player is. You are not arguing against bottom feeding.

mission
05-20-2014, 09:49 AM
What in God's green earth does that mean? Really, they are suddenly confused about who is in control? After Jolly and Robinson?

Bob is just about the clearest example of how access to information is not equivalent to clear thinking. If Belichick did this, he would be hailed as savior.

I don't think its a particularly good risk because this kid (for me) doesn't fit into the "got into trouble for a while at school" mold. The conspiracy theory, drug use and leaving of a team seem to argue for something more substantially wrong than youthful indiscretion.

But the risk is minimal if it goes south (short of a murder spree) , Thompson and McCarthy will both survive intact. And because its once again based on need (and that there are not that many gaping holes on this team) its clearly not the preferred method of doing business.

All the conspiracy theory stuff might as well be the drug use. It's nothing different or in addition to the cocaine. You get rid of the cocaine, you get rid of the paranoia and the world is out to get me.

Not to say the guy is normal, but he's got some purpose now and if he can stay off the blow and really probably away from alcohol (booze is blow's best friend) then he should be fine.

QBME
05-20-2014, 09:54 AM
All the conspiracy theory stuff might as well be the drug use. It's nothing different or in addition to the cocaine. You get rid of the cocaine, you get rid of the paranoia and the world is out to get me.

Not to say the guy is normal, but he's got some purpose now and if he can stay off the blow and really probably away from alcohol (booze is blow's best friend) then he should be fine.

Yep.

Cleft Crusty
05-20-2014, 09:55 AM
As a journalism question, Bob is engaging in what might commonly be referred to as 'hypocrisy.' To Clefty's knowledge, The Packers, or more specifically, Mike McCarthy, Ted Thomspson, and Mr. Murphy have not published any specific document, or made reference to any specific iron-clad, non-negotiable set of criteria for acceptance or exclusion of any individual as a potential Packer. An ill-advised bird-whistle (I guess they call it a 'tweet') from a person tangentially associated with the Packers regarding Aldon Smith's behavior, does not a policy make.

The Packers past under the current regime shows that they have a limit to what they will tolerate, and that they will let any criminal charges run their course. They obviously place performance and conduct high on their list for people currently in the organization, but don't use former behavior as a reason to entirely exclude someone.

I realize Packerrats has a political ban in the Packer threads, but to address the UrinalScented perspective on such things as cocaine use and adherence to conspiracy theories as being behavior that is 'beyond the pale' with respect to football players, without recognizing their support of political candidates who engage in the same activities (such as admitted cocaine and pot use by certain very prominent and very 'high' ranking officials, or adherence to conspiracy theories e.g. '911 truthers' by other politicians), backed and endorsed by the UrinalScented editorial board, would be to accept their hypocrisy without comment. Yes, Bob McGinn is a hypocrite, or at the very least, he works for an organization that is hypocritical. And that seems to be pretty much identical to his perspective on the Packer organization. Bob might do well to first remove the watertown-plank-road from his eye, or at least the journalistic eye of the UrinalScented.

vince
05-20-2014, 10:06 AM
There was more.

Here's what #Packers got in Colt Lyerla, based on pre-draft remarks by personnel people ... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-the-scouts-are-saying-about-colt-lyerla-b99273970z1-259883161.html …

Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy/board, welcoming fans show they can bottom-feed with the best signing off on TE Lyerla. What price glory?

#Packers had four-year history with DE Johnny Jolly before bringing him back. They had TE Lyerla for four days before signing him.

The last one makes some internal sense. However, I am not sure they knew anything more about Jolly's chance for success than Lyerla's EXCEPT for how he had previously played as a pro

If that is the threshold for taking a risk, then you are just arguing for a flexible character standard based on how good the player is. You are not arguing against bottom feeding.
McGinn's a master at his craft - gaining reader interest and engagement.

Thompson took the first chance on Jolly when he drafted him with all the same flags that made him available in the 7th round before he played a down as a pro. They brought him back after his troubles as a pro on top of his concerns from college.

Obviously it's all meaningless in the absence of extreme football ability but I think that Thompson believes the opportunity to help a guy turn his life into a success far outweighs any possible hit to his reputation for taking an informed risk and showing people he believes in them if they fail. He's demonstrated time and again that his superficial public persona is meaningless to him. He neither tries to manage it or pay attention to it. He's where he wants to be (GM of the Packers) and now it's all about trusting in what he believes is the right thing to do for the Packers and the players/team as a whole. He should too because he's one of if not the best in the business.

Zool
05-20-2014, 11:04 AM
McGinn is an ad-click selling douche. He's become the Skip Bayless of the JSO.

Guiness
05-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Kind of feel that way as well about those tweets - they read like titillating Huffington Post headlines. Bottom feeders, really?

Brandon494
05-20-2014, 01:14 PM

QFT

run pMc
05-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Agree with Zool re: McGinn-as-Bayless. Calling the team bottom feeders, etc., was a pretty extreme comment to make, and trying to defend that statement will only get him on shakier ground. It will drive a lot of readers and comments to the JSO and McGinn's twit account.

Seriously, all this Lyerla hype is much ado about nothing in a slow point of the news cycle. It's not like Greg Jennings' sister or Finley's agent haven't popped off with stupidity on twitter, and McGinn is doing it too. Lyerla's Sandy Hook comments were unbelievably insensitive and dumb but not a crime. Him quitting on the team and coke use are more troubling IMO, but if he is serious about changing his life and surrounding himself with good people GB isn't a bad place to do that. He's a dumb impressionable kid, but it's not like he

- Runs a dogfighting ring,
- beats women,
- sexually assaults kids in hottubs
- drugs women with Ambien and sexually assaults them,
- deals drugs,
- kills people at SB parties,
- has a last name like Roethlisberger,
- shoots guns in the air outside stripclubs, or
- poops in closets.

The kid isn't the antichrist. He's also not the 1st person to make mistakes, or the 1st player to run afoul of the law and join the Packers.

He's one of 90, a longshot for the 53, and has no impact on the salary cap. Big deal. He's a character risk, but he's not the first. He's also talented, so it's a risk/reward thing and I think it's worth kicking the tires on him. If anybody has the speed to run down the seam, it's this kid.

Pretty clear signal that Finley isn't coming back.

mraynrand
05-20-2014, 03:20 PM
He's a dumb impressionable kid, but it's not like he

- beats women,
- deals drugs,
- poops in closets.

It's still early in his career to expect all those accolades. Give the kid some time!

wist43
05-20-2014, 05:42 PM
There's an old saying, "... take the alcohol away from a drunken horse thief, what do ya got??"

The moral of the story is, the kid has problems and they don't magically go away simply b/c he's in a "clean environment". That said, people can mature quickly thru lessons learned - others can't. It took Johnny Jolly a couple of bites at the apple to get it figured out. Others, it only takes one bloody nose. Still others like Steve Howe and Aaron Hernandez never learn.

We'll see, but it isn't as simple as putting the kid in a supportive environment and thinking all will be well. If he's got issues, they will eventually come to the surface, and he'll flame out. On the other hand, if he's matured, and is mature enough to ask for help when he needs it, he may endure and be able to make a go of it.

You just can never tell... these are young kids we're talking here.

mission
05-20-2014, 06:23 PM
There's an old saying, "... take the alcohol away from a drunken horse thief, what do ya got??"

The moral of the story is, the kid has problems and they don't magically go away simply b/c he's in a "clean environment". That said, people can mature quickly thru lessons learned - others can't. It took Johnny Jolly a couple of bites at the apple to get it figured out. Others, it only takes one bloody nose. Still others like Steve Howe and Aaron Hernandez never learn.

We'll see, but it isn't as simple as putting the kid in a supportive environment and thinking all will be well. If he's got issues, they will eventually come to the surface, and he'll flame out. On the other hand, if he's matured, and is mature enough to ask for help when he needs it, he may endure and be able to make a go of it.

You're right. Some people can blame these "experiments" on trying to have sex with strippers because that's what their buddies did and coke is what strippers do. That doesn't sound like such a bad thing when you're 20 and strippers can be pretty hot (even if they're dirty). Others are tortured souls with deep emotional issues and sit in their room and self medicate. If that's the kind of guy he is then there might not be a lot of hope. If he was just partying and hung out with the wrong crowd who didn't have NFL aspirations then I think he'll be OK.

gbgary
05-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Considering your scout's history of drafting receivers, we should give up all hope for Lyerla and start wishing the Packers would cut him before he does any damage. :-)

lol...took me a second.

Guiness
05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
You're right. Some people can blame these "experiments" on trying to have sex with strippers because that's what their buddies did and coke is what strippers do. That doesn't sound like such a bad thing when you're 20 and strippers can be pretty hot (even if they're dirty). Others are tortured souls with deep emotional issues and sit in their room and self medicate. If that's the kind of guy he is then there might not be a lot of hope. If he was just partying and hung out with the wrong crowd who didn't have NFL aspirations then I think he'll be OK.

Bryant McKinne knows a thing about strippers.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/20/5734270/bryant-mckinnie-strip-club-mathematics
Maybe he has an opinion on this?

Noodle
05-20-2014, 07:07 PM

I agree with this. Maybe because I've seen this kind of stuff up close and personal, I tend to think this kid has some personality disorder issues. He's going to need some help, and hoping that he matures and gets over it isn't really a winning strategy. If anything, I'm reminded a little bit of Raiders Center Barrett Robbins, who went AWOL before the Super Bowl. It's not that these guys are a-holes, man, they've got hardcore psychological issues. And those problems will need to be tended to for a long time.

So I'm find with the experiment as long as the Pack insists that the dude consistently engage in therapy and whatever other infrastructure that is necessary for success.

mission
05-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Bryant McKinne knows a thing about strippers.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/20/5734270/bryant-mckinnie-strip-club-mathematics
Maybe he has an opinion on this?

I'd like to think he was getting more than lap dances for $150k! $300-400 seems to be the rate in Atlanta. Can get a few girls for a $1000 or so.

My old buddy told me. He did drugs too.

falco
05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

I think you are right. I've tried to defend McGinn as being that independent minded reporter, but it seems to me that he's just perpetually looking for an angle to claim someone else is wrong.

Carolina_Packer
05-20-2014, 10:06 PM
If he has bipolar disorder like Barrett Robbins, there is a connection between bipolar and addiction: http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/bipolar-disorder-and-addiction/#addiction Interesting read. I know it's kind of FYI'esque, but since the Pack signed him, it's interesting to know the root cause of his behavior. I wonder if he has sought help, or is getting on-going help. Like others have hinted, this is not a quick fix for an in-descretion or three. He may have been self-medicating to mask what was really going on inside. Barrett Robbins obviously went missing before their Super Bowl; probably a lot of pressure, or he was just having a manic episode. Some people with mania do not reason out the consequences of their actions before they do them, so they may have an episode that has "flight".

If the kid needs help, and it sounds like he does, I hope he gets it, because he's going to need it for his life, whether that has football in it, who knows?

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:31 AM
I agree with this. Maybe because I've seen this kind of stuff up close and personal, I tend to think this kid has some personality disorder issues. He's going to need some help, and hoping that he matures and gets over it isn't really a winning strategy. If anything, I'm reminded a little bit of Raiders Center Barrett Robbins, who went AWOL before the Super Bowl. It's not that these guys are a-holes, man, they've got hardcore psychological issues. And those problems will need to be tended to for a long time.

So I'm find with the experiment as long as the Pack insists that the dude consistently engage in therapy and whatever other infrastructure that is necessary for success.

Good post.

Repped.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:35 AM
I'd like to think he was getting more than lap dances for $150k! $300-400 seems to be the rate in Atlanta. Can get a few girls for a $1000 or so.

My old buddy told me. He did drugs too.

Uhh.

What about a simple date. Dinner and a movie. Once upon a time a Dairy Queen sundae delivered.

Has time changes all that so badly?

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:39 AM
He definitely a 2nd round talent who will turn out to be a steal for us. Looking at his twitter he does seem to want to prove everyone wrong so he has the right attitude right now. I think hes a good kid who just made some bad choices and hes a lock to make the 53 IMO for whatever thats worth.

Maybe he needs to consult with a certain LBer that plays very well for the Cincy Bengals.

Too many NFL teams missed on this dominating NFL star player.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Coke can make a smart man pretty stupid and it's impossible to see your ways until something happens big enough to open your eyes. Hopefully he's had his moment (or three).

I have a nice house in the burbs with a beautiful family, co-own a multi-million dollar company and 6-7 years ago all I was interested in was partying without a pot to piss in.

It's possible. For many, it's really just a bad chapter in their life rather than a fundamental character flaw that makes an individual incapable of a high level of success.
He can do it if he has a purpose. I'm rooting for him.

Congratulations to you and your Family, Mission.

Hold the fort.

vince
05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Credit Packers for Giving Lyerla a Chance (http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140521/PKR07/305210332/Mike-Vandermause-column-Credit-Packers-giving-Lyerla-chance)

The easy thing to do would be to label Lyerla a perpetual loser who doesn’t deserve another chance. But the easy way is not always the right way. Some risks are worth taking, especially when a young person’s future is on the line.

mraynrand
05-22-2014, 12:02 PM
The easy thing to do would be to label Lyerla a perpetual loser who doesn’t deserve another chance. But the easy way is not always the right way. Some risks are worth taking, especially when a young person’s future is on the line.

Woodbuck could learn a lesson from this regarding a certain Mraynrand guy who will remain nameless.

Fritz
05-22-2014, 02:45 PM
If Colt Lyerla plays well for the Pack, I will understand that he has serious personality issues stemming from his difficult childhood, for which he needs help.

If he plays badly, he will simply be an asshat.

MadScientist
05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
If Colt Lyerla plays well for the Pack, I will understand that he has serious personality issues stemming from his difficult childhood, for which he needs help.

If he plays badly, he will simply be an asshat.
Well he could give it his all and stay clean but for whatever reason just not be able to play at an NFL level. I wouldn't label him an asshat for failing like that. If he snorts away his last chance, then he is an asshat.

Pugger
05-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Bi-Polar disorder can be controlled by medication. When patients are manic they can do some crazy shit. Patty Duke has it and years ago when she was manic she married some guy she met just hours before. I think she got it annulled after she got back on her medicine. When they are depressant they can be unapproachable. They will lock themselves in their room for days or will not be very responsive to those around them. What's wild is they later can recall all they do when they get sick like this. They like the feeling when they are manic but afterwards they know this kind of behavior isn't good or healthy. If Colt is bi-polar these episodes can be eliminated under a doctor's care and if he has a good support system.

bobblehead
05-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Agree with Zool re: McGinn-as-Bayless. Calling the team bottom feeders, etc., was a pretty extreme comment to make, and trying to defend that statement will only get him on shakier ground. It will drive a lot of readers and comments to the JSO and McGinn's twit account.

Seriously, all this Lyerla hype is much ado about nothing in a slow point of the news cycle. It's not like Greg Jennings' sister or Finley's agent haven't popped off with stupidity on twitter, and McGinn is doing it too. Lyerla's Sandy Hook comments were unbelievably insensitive and dumb but not a crime. Him quitting on the team and coke use are more troubling IMO, but if he is serious about changing his life and surrounding himself with good people GB isn't a bad place to do that. He's a dumb impressionable kid, but it's not like he

- beats women,
- deals drugs,
- poops in closets.

The kid isn't the antichrist. He's also not the 1st person to make mistakes, or the 1st player to run afoul of the law and join the Packers.

He's one of 90, a longshot for the 53, and has no impact on the salary cap. Big deal. He's a character risk, but he's not the first. He's also talented, so it's a risk/reward thing and I think it's worth kicking the tires on him. If anybody has the speed to run down the seam, it's this kid.

Pretty clear signal that Finley isn't coming back.

Who amongst us hasn't shat in a closet a time or two I ask?? Anyway, If Ray Lewis can become the fucking hero of the NFL...A guy they continually propped up primarily due to his gifts on the field, I think this kid deserves a chance. Occasionally a guy like this is so grateful to the people who still believed in him his loyalty becomes second to none. Often times a guy like this puts egg on your face. You can always wipe a little egg off, but how often can you sign a big time talent to a rookie FA contract and gain loyalty that isn't often seen in pro sports??

Thompson.... He's demonstrated time and again that his superficial public persona is meaningless to him. He neither tries to manage it or pay attention to it. He's where he wants to be (GM of the Packers) and now it's all about trusting in what he believes is the right thing to do for the Packers and the players/team as a whole. He should too because he's one of if not the best in the business.

This is very well put. I don't think TT is concerned with what McGinn or anyone else thinks. He has complete confidence in his abilities/decisions and knows damn well that if he puts a winner on the field all else is forgotten.

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 08:19 AM
http://lombardiave.com/2014/05/22/colt-lyerla-intriguing-piece-packers/

Colt Lyerla is an intriguing piece for the Green Bay Packers

By: David Burdette 1d ago

" ... Lyerla had a pretty good college career as well, finishing with 34 receptions, 565 yards for a 16.6 yard average, and 11 TDs.

Lyerla even played well in the H-back role, running for 94 yards on 16 attempts and 2 TDs for a healthy 5.9 yard average.

Compare this to Jermichael Finley’s 76 receptions, 947 yards for 12.5 yards averaged, and 5 TDs during his 2-year college career. Finley may have caught more passes, but Lyerla did more with his. Both stand 6-4 and weigh around 240 pounds. .... '

Comment woodbuck27:

It appears now more certain that it's ...bye bye Jermichael Finley!?

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 08:28 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-the-scouts-are-saying-about-colt-lyerla-b99273970z1-259883161.html

What the scouts are saying about Colt Lyerla

May 19, 2014

I compare this TT signing to the signing of this Cincy Bengal and NFL statistical defensive leader:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/vontaze-burfict?id=2533058

Vontaze Burfict.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664141/vontaze-burfict

See Latest News 04/26/2012.

Guiness
05-23-2014, 01:12 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-the-scouts-are-saying-about-colt-lyerla-b99273970z1-259883161.html

What the scouts are saying about Colt Lyerla

May 19, 2014

I compare this TT signing to the signing of this Cincy Bengal and NFL statistical defensive leader:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/vontaze-burfict?id=2533058

Vontaze Burfict.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664141/vontaze-burfict

See Latest News 04/26/2012.

I don't understand at all why you continue to compare Lyerla and Burfict. As I posted above, they appear to have very little in common?

Cheesehead Craig
05-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't understand at all why you continue to compare Lyerla and Burfict. As I posted above, they appear to have very little in common?

I believe the thought is that Burfict wasn't drafted in no small part due to "character concerns" namely drug issues and overall attitude problems. This part is comparable to Lyerla. I also believe that there was very little interest in Burfict after the draft from NFL teams and I don't recall any other than Cincy offering him a deal. So that is similar to Lyerla. Yes, there were other issues with Burfict that are not applicable to Lyerla and vice versa. But there's always going to try and be the comparisons that are similar but not exact.

MadtownPacker
05-23-2014, 01:39 PM
It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
- Alonzo Harris

Fuck any of you who have issue with what he does. Innocent until proven guilty bitches!! Until then I don't give a fuck. Hope the pigs in GB cover up any issues.

As long as he is catching TDs that is....

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Bretsky endoresed this signing right off the bat........my history with character risks are not good........hopefullly this turns my whammy around !

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Of course their not the sane Guiness but I was thinking along these lines:

Look at the stigma surrounding both of them before the draft.

It's right there that I draw attention to some comparison.

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Getting a talent like this makes me want CB Pierre Desir instead of our 3rd round TE way more

Zool
05-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Both were very highly thought of. Burfict had 1st round buzz before his senior year. Both plummeted and ended up undrafted. Vontaze ended up being quite a player. Hoping for the same out of Colt.

smuggler
05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Except Burfict tanked his combine, whilst Colt did well.

Zool
05-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Except Burfict tanked his combine, whilst Colt did well.

So the other similarities are moot?

woodbuck27
05-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Getting a talent like this makes me want CB Pierre Desir instead of our 3rd round TE way more

That's what happens when you draft for need.

TT had many many more decent picks than TE rookie prospect Richard Rodgers with the 3rd Round Compensatory pick but now it's a let's hope for the best.

woodbuck27
05-24-2014, 08:32 AM
After a good night sleep TT ends up signing Colt...

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140519/PKR0101/140519038

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10955664/green-bay-packers-sign-troubled-tight-end-colt-lyerla

Packers sign Colt Lyerla after tryout

" ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky discusses the Packers' signing of former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla after he had an impressive two-day rookie camp last week in Green Bay."

Updated: May 19, 2014, 10:23 PM ET

By: Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

"You weigh it all ..... and every case is an individual case. We have always believed that, or I have always believed that there are certain things that people can atone for, acknowledge their mistakes and get on with their lives. And I am a proponent of those kind of people that try to do that. And that's where we're at with Colt." Packers GM Ted Thompson

Lyerla was one of three tryout players the Packers signed on Monday. They also added Hawaii defensive back Charles Clay and Miami defensive end Luther Robinson.

By cutting tight end Raymond Webber, signed earlier in the offseason, the Packers were at their 90-man roster limit.

GO PACK GO !

Pugger
05-24-2014, 08:48 AM
It will be fun to see how Colt and all of these rookies perform when they go up against the vets in the upcoming OTAs and TC.

Fritz
05-24-2014, 09:07 AM
See, for me it's less about the rooks and more about the second- and third-year guys, sometimes even the fourth-years. Rookies are rookies - some very occasionally can be exceptional, but mostly they're just going to make the team and work on getting better.

But the young-but-not-rookie guys really can show that they've developed their bodies (will Bahk have put on some muscle?) or that the lights have gone on (Davon House, please?) or that they've overcome an injury (Hayward, Worthy).

Those are the guys I'm interested in, mostly. Guys like Tretter, Sherrod (yes, I still have hope that he will be the starting left tackle, and not by default, this year for the Pack), Lattimore, the wide receiver Dorsey, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Brandon Bostick, Sean Richardson.

That's my list of guys I'm interested in watching and reading about most.

woodbuck27
05-24-2014, 10:03 AM
See, for me it's less about the rooks and more about the second- and third-year guys, sometimes even the fourth-years. Rookies are rookies - some very occasionally can be exceptional, but mostly they're just going to make the team and work on getting better.

But the young-but-not-rookie guys really can show that they've developed their bodies (will Bahk have put on some muscle?) or that the lights have gone on (Davon House, please?) or that they've overcome an injury (Hayward, Worthy).

Those are the guys I'm interested in, mostly. Guys like Tretter, Sherrod (yes, I still have hope that he will be the starting left tackle, and not by default, this year for the Pack), Lattimore, the wide receiver Dorsey, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Brandon Bostick, Sean Richardson.

That's my list of guys I'm interested in watching and reading about most.

Yes.