PDA

View Full Version : Packers dominating the free agent market!!

RashanGary
05-16-2014, 10:27 PM
The undrafted free agent market (took this from a Patler post.)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Landing-spots.html

The Packers have steadily worked their way into, I think, the most desirable location for talented, undrafted talent. I think that reputation peaked this offseason when the Packers paid Sam Shields nearly 10 million dollars per season. My first thought was, boy, thats a little steep. He seems more like a 7-8 guy on a good day for his agent.

Now that we're in that stage of the offseason where it's time to attract an elite crop of undrafted rookies, it got me thinking...... How desirable of a location must Green Bay be. All these talented players want is a chance and I think Green Bay, right now, has a reputation for giving guys an equal shake, no matter where they're drafted.

It might be to the point where that reputation is similar to having one or two extra comp 7th round picks. it might be better than that. What do you guys think?

cheesner
05-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Couple extra Comp picks. I like that.

RashanGary
05-16-2014, 10:51 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140516/PKR01/305160496/Checkered-past-doesn-t-deter-Packers-from-giving-TE-Lyerla-look?nclick_check=1

Among other reasons, Colt Lyerla's agent suggested Green Bay due to a history of being "trust worthy and respectful."

TT has a reputation, and its a little different than guys like Woodbuck like to make it out.

BZnDallas
05-16-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm sure there are many factors that go into an undrafted free agent rookie signing with a team. Position competition is one, player scheme fit another, why not reputation. I can see where that could be a bullet point to consider when thinking about your best chance to jump on with a team. GB surely got some decent talent and competition going into this offseason.

Bretsky
05-17-2014, 07:15 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140516/PKR01/305160496/Checkered-past-doesn-t-deter-Packers-from-giving-TE-Lyerla-look?nclick_check=1

Among other reasons, Colt Lyerla's agent suggested Green Bay due to a history of being "trust worthy and respectful."

TT has a reputation, and its a little different than guys like Woodbuck like to make it out.

If Lyerla signes with GB this will be a nice win and add evidence to your idea.
I'd like to see a top ten or top 20 UDFA list and then see how many came to GB
I really do like Hubbard and to me Lyerla looks better than our 3rd round draft pick TE

pbmax
05-17-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm sure there are many factors that go into an undrafted free agent rookie signing with a team. Position competition is one, player scheme fit another, why not reputation. I can see where that could be a bullet point to consider when thinking about your best chance to jump on with a team. GB surely got some decent talent and competition going into this offseason.

I think this is an important point. While the info in the article might be used to create your wish list or break a tie, you would think Johnny UDFA would want a franchise with a position opening first.

HarveyWallbangers
05-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Lyerla, Hubbard, Pennel, Perkins, and Neal were our UDFAs that were projected to get drafted. However, some of our best UDFAs weren't necessarily guys that were projected to get drafted.

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 11:14 AM

I resPECT TT! But I also know that being how what it is, there will be the time of draft picks not getting it done and TT will FAIL AGAIN. Trust in TT say certain Packerrats who remain nameless. Get more to real I say! TT drafted for need, but if it doesn't turn out, I will hold him accountable as far a a fan being in that state of mind.
Promenant folks agree that tED is NOT a solid good GM later than before.
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/12/12/packers-gm-ted-thompson-is-in-a-slump/

gO PaCK!!

HarveyWallbangers
05-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Instant classic

red
05-17-2014, 01:13 PM
the article you linked that you based your "dominating UFA" idea off of only takes 2 things into account, 1. UFA signed by the team, 2. amount of playing time by UFAs

you can look at this 2 ways.

1. its a good thing we bring in tons of guys and find some nice diamonds

2. we are left relying on UFAs to fill out the depth on this team due to TTs reluctance to bring in free agents (until this year)

obviously, the first one is positive and the second one is negative. i tend to look at it the second way. its a necessity. every year we are the youngest team in the NFL due to the almost 20 rookies we have on the team every year,most of whom will be replaced the following year by more undrafted rookies. to me, thats not a good thing

mraynrand
05-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Brandon and I are in agreement: the Packers don't typically bring in veteran FAs because it is extremely difficult to get them to come to GB (and it is a double loss if they don't work out - in $$ as well as roster space). Also, I think the organization generally (maybe not capers) likes to coach them from rookie on up so they develop only in the Packers system for consistency. So they need to find people among the rookie FAs.

Finally, the draft used to go out forever; I like the ability of the Packers seemingly get almost every pick they want in rounds 8-15.

pbmax
05-17-2014, 01:48 PM
the article you linked that you based your "dominating UFA" idea off of only takes 2 things into account, 1. UFA signed by the team, 2. amount of playing time by UFAs

you can look at this 2 ways.

1. its a good thing we bring in tons of guys and find some nice diamonds

2. we are left relying on UFAs to fill out the depth on this team due to TTs reluctance to bring in free agents (until this year)

obviously, the first one is positive and the second one is negative. i tend to look at it the second way. its a necessity. every year we are the youngest team in the NFL due to the almost 20 rookies we have on the team every year,most of whom will be replaced the following year by more undrafted rookies. to me, thats not a good thing

They also look at which UDFAs end up on ANY roster. Packers are 10th there. If the kids they bring on the 53 man couldn't play better than FAs, that number would be lower.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 10h
Based on demand, Pennel appears to be big UDFA signing for #Packers. Chose GB among 15 offers. Makes sense - Raji only other NT on roster.

Joemailman
05-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 10h
Based on demand, Pennel appears to be big UDFA signing for #Packers. Chose GB among 15 offers. Makes sense - Raji only other NT on roster.

Definitely a big signing. 332 pounds worth.

Joemailman
05-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Pennel was suspended 3 times in 2012 for violation of team rules, but had a big year in 2013.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124702&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

05/13/14 - Packers signed 12 rookie free agents: Pennel, 23, played in 12 games as a senior in 2013 and recorded 36 tackles (15 solo), including six tackles for a loss, three sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and four passes defensed. He appeared in five games for Arizona State in 2012 and played two years (2010-11) at Scottsdale Community College (Ariz.), where he earned All-America honors in 2011 after posting 37 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss and two sacks. - Green Bay Packers
11/18/12 - DT Mike Pennel has been suspended for a third team this season. He has missed six games because of discipline handed out by coach Todd Graham.

red
05-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Pennel was suspended 3 times in 2012 for violation of team rules, but had a big year in 2013.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124702&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

had a big year in 2013 for NE colorado state-pueblo, technical college of NE denver, after leaving ASU. so he had a pretty nice year going against inferior talent. and as one scouting report i just read said, he didn't come close to dominating that inferior talent

Pugger
05-18-2014, 09:57 AM
We do have a reputation of giving UDFAs a legitimate shot at making the roster: Barclay, Bostick, Boykin, Lattimore, Richardson and Sheilds were originally signed by us but there are a couple of other guys who entered the league as UDFA on other clubs before joining us.

Smidgeon
05-18-2014, 07:45 PM
I resPECT TT! But I also know that being how what it is, there will be the time of draft picks not getting it done and TT will FAIL AGAIN. Trust in TT say certain Packerrats who remain nameless. Get more to real I say! TT drafted for need, but if it doesn't turn out, I will hold him accountable as far a a fan being in that state of mind.
Promenant folks agree that tED is NOT a solid good GM later than before.
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/12/12/packers-gm-ted-thompson-is-in-a-slump/

gO PaCK!!

So very repped.

pbmax
05-18-2014, 09:59 PM
had a big year in 2013 for NE colorado state-pueblo, technical college of NE denver, after leaving ASU. so he had a pretty nice year going against inferior talent. and as one scouting report i just read said, he didn't come close to dominating that inferior talent

Its no Colorado School of Mines, but they have some tough conference rivalries.

Joemailman
05-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Its no Colorado School of Mines, but they have some tough conference rivalries.

Actually, they beat the crap out of Colorado Mines 48-28. Show a little respect. http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule

pbmax
05-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Actually, they beat the crap out of Colorado Mines 48-28. Show a little respect. http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule

Anyone can win on any given Sunday. They came right back and tore apart Colorado Mesa on the road.

woodbuck27
05-19-2014, 06:07 AM

TT's reputation:

Let me in on what I make it out to be? Enlighten me about me as a packer fan and TT please. That should mostly be a zero. Add anything to elaborate on that from your views.

He's been for the most part "a mystery man" to me.

Who really knows Ted Thompson besides immediate family and close friends? He's a very closed off and almost expressionless man in my view. He has tremendous potential but so do all of us.

I want all of that potential to be given to his job as Packer GM and just that.

smuggler
05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Meh. He did a great job in 2013, so even though the third round was confusing, I'll trust him until I see the dudes on the field, at the very least.

pbmax
05-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 15m
Agent for tryout CB Charles Clay of Hawaii says his client has signed with

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 14m
#Packers have one spot available on 90-man roster, assuming no one else gets cut. No word yet on status of tryout TE Colt Lyeria.

mraynrand
05-19-2014, 12:44 PM
TT's reputation:

Let me in on what I make it out to be? Enlighten me about me as a packer fan and TT please. That should mostly be a zero. Add anything to elaborate on that from your views.

He's been for the most part "a mystery man" to me.

Who really knows Ted Thompson besides immediate family and close friends? He's a very closed off and almost expressionless man in my view. He has tremendous potential but so do all of us.

I want all of that potential to be given to his job as Packer GM and just that.

Was this intentional self-parody?

smuggler
05-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Just watched S Charles Clay's pro day video. Quick white dude with some speed. Small hands, not super explosive considering his weight. But he's got good hips and quick feet. Definitely worth a 90-man spot.

pbmax
05-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Just watched S Charles Clay's pro day video. Quick white dude with some speed. Small hands, not super explosive considering his weight. But he's got good hips and quick feet. Definitely worth a 90-man spot.

Twit reports have him likely ticketed first to CB. Hybrid like Hayward and Hyde is the thought.

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Dude wasn't even a starter in college, he might be a nice athlete but he has no shot at making an NFL roster.

MadScientist
05-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Dude wasn't even a starter in college, he might be a nice athlete but he has no shot at making an NFL roster.
Highly unlikely, but if he is a good athlete and takes coaching well, he might have a shot to reach the practice squad. Otherwise his speed may make for good practice for receivers who do have a chance.

pbmax
05-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Lyerla and Robinson signed.

TE Raymond Webber cut.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 5m
To make room for signing tryout players Lyerla, DB Charles Clay and DE Luther Robinson, #Packers cut TE Raymond Webber.

run pMc
05-19-2014, 05:27 PM

TE Raymond Webber cut.

To make room for signing tryout players Lyerla, DB Charles Clay and DE Luther Robinson, #Packers cut TE Raymond Webber.

Well, it's fair to assume talent-wise that Lyerla > Webber. Not a knock on Webber.
What do we know about Luther Robinson?

smuggler
05-19-2014, 05:31 PM

He has some good movement skills. Wouldn't be shocked to see him returning punts in camp and then maybe trying to edge his way onto the practice squad. I don't know if he'll ever get a chance to make the 53, but hey!

mission
05-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Woody, I think once you get over a certain age you don't really have potential anymore. 60+ years should be enough to accomplish something.

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 07:05 PM
He has some good movement skills. Wouldn't be shocked to see him returning punts in camp and then maybe trying to edge his way onto the practice squad. I don't know if he'll ever get a chance to make the 53, but hey!

0 career INTs and couldn't start in college = camp body. I know you guys love rooting for "whitey" but hes has no chance. :-)

Joemailman
05-19-2014, 07:30 PM
0 career INTs and couldn't start in college = camp body. I know you guys love rooting for "whitey" but hes has no chance. :-)

Could have 3 white WR's this year! :wave:

mission
05-19-2014, 07:34 PM

I hate rooting for "no upside" :P

mraynrand
05-19-2014, 08:06 PM

I hate Whitey!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-18Gtgzn2Yk0/T4LcON4q1UI/AAAAAAAAKTQ/313zM3jBoRo/s400/Whitey.jpg

But I love Beaver!!

(picture removed)

pbmax
05-19-2014, 09:49 PM

Whitlock is licking his chops as we speak.

He is also whipping BBQ sauce off his chin.

Brandon494
05-19-2014, 10:57 PM

I'm hoping so, I don't think either Abby or Janis are making it to the PS.

Guiness
05-19-2014, 11:30 PM

TE Raymond Webber cut.

I'd like to think I'm not the only one who's response to that was "Raymond who?". Dude was well traveled, having been with 7 franchises in 4 leagues since he finished college in 2011!

texaspackerbacker
05-20-2014, 06:14 AM

This is very true. It's also true that Thompson is kinda evolving in his signing of UDFAs - getting some athletic types - kinda like the Seahawks, and getting some character-challenged types similar to the old Raiders. I see this as a good thing - you can always cut 'em if they don;t come to Green Bay and shape up.

Where I disagree - slightly anyway - with the premise and title of this thread is the idea that we are alone of one of very few in this UDFA market. A lot of teams have done that with success. The fact is, there are way more talented players coming out of college than 7 draft rounds can contain, and often, the "safe" picks are the ones who get drafted - leaving this plethora of UDFAs who are worth considering.

Pugger
05-20-2014, 08:55 AM
But we are a club that will give an UDFA a legit chance to make the roster and not just be a camp body.

MJZiggy
05-20-2014, 09:46 PM
http://allcougdup.com/2014/05/17/wsu-football-rico-forbes-signs-green-bay-packers/

Met this guy in the Atlanta airport on his way out of Green Bay. Nice kid. He loved Green Bay. I hope he makes it.

pbmax
05-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Alonzo Highsmith seems involved. That probably increased the chances that this kid has a career by about 40%. Alonzo specializes in diamonds in the rough.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 06:02 AM
Woody, I think once you get over a certain age you don't really have potential anymore. 60+ years should be enough to accomplish something.

These are some of my thoughts. I'm not posting them to initiate a war here at Packerrats. Their simply my way of seeing things Green Bay Packers and our current teams leadership.

I won't blame any degree of unsuccess on a man's age unless he's suddenly suffering dementia.

I believe if you have the right attitude and your keen to learn and grow that your potential to succeed at that and expand your wisdom is limitless.

The thing that handcuffs all that is a slow and stubborn personality. A backwards manner of looking at anything.

High intelligence is one thing. Drive and determination coupled with intelligence and a novel personality with a not too serious "laugh at and accepting of yourself personality" is a BONUS.

Our minds need stimulation and that means often new experience and not "a droll stick in the mud head in the sand" manner of performing your duties. The Green Bay Packers way of "Draft and Develop" has to be augmented with some effort to bring in experienced and lower risk, ready to contribute NFL FA's. That makes "simple" common sense. To ignore that move as a roster building strategy is just stupid.

Ted Thompson finally kicked in again this season with the acquisition of FA Julius Peppers and we all hope as TT does that Peppers has more in the tank. TT should have been doing more of that post Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett.

Can Ted Thompson beak out of his slump? Is it even fair to determine that he's having such? His teams have done very well 2009-2013. How many NFL teams have performed better in that stretch? Researching the answers here reveal that TT is amongst the best NFL GM's. It's tough to establish and maintain a solid roster when one man gets 1/6th of the $CAP$...when you pay out 50% of the CAP to 4-5 players on your roster.

All the same, more of the VERY TOP teams (The Seattle Seahawks and San Fran 49ers) will soon be in the same boat. We need to simply be patient. Yet I want to concentrate on the ultimate goal or reason that the Packers pay one man so much of the CAP money.

With Aaron Rodgers as the Green Bay Packers QB I want more.

Is TT delivering on my need as a Packer fan?

Again..... he signed a prominent FA in Julius Peppers.

I saw TT take a IMO better renewed approach to this draft. He didn't dilute his Rookie Draft class by trading down . When your picking in the 20's position of the 1st round it's not logical to trade down. That tactic demonstrates unsureness. That or an over evaluation of your draft board. TT has diluted the Green Bay Packers Draft Class to what? (the tune of approx. 20 more prospects). I don't want my milk, rye or beer watered down. Water is for Kool Aid and those fans that drink it too much.

TT and his drafting success. Justlike any NFL GM it's for the most part or 60% of the time hit and miss. Drafting well means giving yourself the best chance to succeed. Sometimes "the best intentions of mice and men" applies here. Ted Thompson took a chance on one high draft pick in DT Justin Harrell when the record demonstrated risk and he blew that one. No loss no foul. I don't enjoy TT"s indecive manner. I don't enjoy his say little style of stiff communication. I don't enjoy his say nothing approach and shy way of being the Green Bay Packers GM. I would like it better if he gave Packer Nation a better idea of his intent and purpose..his hope for our future based on need and focused all effort on securing something valid to fill that need.

We've seen TT and MM stick with people that were clearly not worth a roster position. Look at the Backup QB and Safety positions. Look at the likes of a Marshal Newhouse. MM and TT stick with a coach like our ST's coach Shawn Slocum; when it's been overtly obvious that the team deserves an upgrade for that extremely important position.

The Packers run a sorta 3-4 Defense that must have solid athletic LBers and a strong three man front and he offers the likes of a BJ Raji $8 Million$ when an oak tree could toss his ass on the ground. That same player stinks up the joint last season and is determined to get out of Green Bay and TT actually allows him a one year flyer at $4 million$ when no other NFL team shows him interest and why would they? He demonstrated that he was a useless lump at DT in 2013. That TT insisted on overpaying BJ Raji doesn't make any sense to me. CAP money could have been better spent. As a better option cut that $4 million$ down to the vet minimum with incentives. Minimize $the cost$ and roster spot risk by facing the reality that BJ Raji won't grow stronger.

The Green Bay Packers have some shot at winning the NFCN and getting into the playoffs with outstanding star talent in Aaron Rodgers. We want to blame it all on injuries. What if Casey Hayward, Nick Price, Clay Matthews III, Derek Sherrod, Bryan Bulaja, Randall Cobb and Jermichael Finley etc. etc. etc. weren't lost so much to injury?.

Why then is that happening Ted Thompson?

Does TT draft weak men? Is "the Strength and Conditioning Staff" at fault?

It's Ted Thompson's job to know and solve that issue that's a constant demise to his team. The roster needs to be better prepared for every Sunday (gameday). That means 100% prepared to play a full game from start to finish. That means loosened up and staying that way throughout the game. Injuries are inevitable in football but so many every season? Why is that Ted Thompson? Ohh you don't know because Mike McCarthy doesn't know. Well then find out why and concentrate on making it better.

mraynrand
05-21-2014, 06:19 AM
http://allcougdup.com/2014/05/17/wsu-football-rico-forbes-signs-green-bay-packers/

Met this guy in the Atlanta airport on his way out of Green Bay. Nice kid. He loved Green Bay. I hope he makes it.

http://bbac02.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/uncle_rico.jpg
Uncle Rico! (I thought he was a QB)

"Based on the lack of quality offensive linemen for the 13 time World Champs, both Forbes and John Fullington (the other Cougar lineman that the Pack recently signed), have a better than average shot at making the roster."

Fritz
05-21-2014, 03:21 PM

"allcougdup"? Ziggy, is that your website?

Guiness
05-21-2014, 03:59 PM
http://bbac02.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/uncle_rico.jpg
Uncle Rico! (I thought he was a QB)

"Based on the lack of quality offensive linemen for the 13 time World Champs, both Forbes and John Fullington (the other Cougar lineman that the Pack recently signed), have a better than average shot at making the roster."

I'm sure nobody likes to see that, but if you do an honest evaluation, I'd say the Pack has one rock solid OL in Sitton, and one average to above average in Lang. At center, whoever wins the job likely hasn't taken an NFL snap yet. At RT, it's a limited Barclay or a guy in Bulagua who has never started a full season. The returning LT starter was a rookie pressed into action who played ok.

I'd say the only position on the line that is not up for grabs is Sitton's LG position, and he might even move back to RG is someone else shows enough there!

smuggler
05-21-2014, 06:24 PM
The Packers view Lang in higher regard than you seem to.

Guiness
05-21-2014, 06:53 PM

Better than above average? *shrug* I guess maybe, but that's where I'd put him. I think he's good, which is why I said above average. That would likely be an improvement for the rest of the line (excluding of course, Sitton) this coming season.

mraynrand
05-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Right now, the Packers O-line is nothing special. at all.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 09:43 PM

They would. :???:

MJZiggy
05-21-2014, 10:00 PM
"allcougdup"? Ziggy, is that your website?
That would be his school site. He's a RT.

pbmax
05-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Right now, the Packers O-line is nothing special. at all.

Well, they blocked for the run rather well. Keeping the QB upright blocking was a little dicier.

mraynrand
05-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Well, they blocked for the run rather well. Keeping the QB upright blocking was a little dicier.

Sure, they don't suck, and they do some things well. If Dallas O-line of the early nineties is a ten, this group is a 4 or 5. Ho, hum.

Pugger
05-22-2014, 10:16 AM
But with Bulaga back, Bak no longer a rookie and either Tretter or Linsley at C our line might be better than some think.

Smidgeon
05-22-2014, 10:51 AM
But with Bulaga back, Bak no longer a rookie and either Tretter or Linsley at C our line might be better than some think.

Add in the potential that some here see in Sherrod...

Just Jeff
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
The Oline has been a mess since TT messed with it. He clearly has no idea about picking Olinemen through the draft or free agency. He more than makes up for it in position players, but this is the time of year that we post about the eternal "mights" and "ifs" that have characterised our Oline since the days of Wahle/Clifton/Taucher/Rivera/Flanagan(wells).

Fritz
05-22-2014, 12:01 PM
This is the year the oline is good!

Guiness
05-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Might. And if my aunt had a dick we might call her my uncle. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's an improved unit as well, but this conversation started because a UDFA (or his agent?) said there was a lack of quality offensive linemen. I'm saying he's not necessarily wrong.

run pMc
05-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Wahle/Clifton/Taucher/Rivera/Flanagan(wells)

was a Top 5 OL, and one of the best GB has had in the last 25 years. Tough to match that criteria.

I'd put the current OL somewhere in the middle...like in the 15-20 range. It's not a dumpster fire, but they sure aren't a top 5 OL. Lacy made a lot of 1-2 yard runs into 3-4 yard runs in spite of the OL last year.
Getting Bulaga back and having Sherrod/Bahktiari duke it out for LT will be an improvement. EDS vs. either Tretter or Linsley is probably a wash. Many here will argue that not having Newhouse is addition by subtraction.

APRH, this will be a better OL.

Zool
05-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Many here will argue that not having Newhouse is addition by subtraction.

Hard to argue against that based on his performance history.

Fritz
05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I think it was EDS who had the poor performance history.

Newhouse simply didn't play very well.

MadScientist
05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
EDS vs. either Tretter or Linsley is probably a wash.
If it's only a wash, then both Tretter and Linsley are busts. EDS was not very good last year, which is why the Packers are going with completely untested guys, and EDS walked without so much as an offer.

Of course with Campen coaching the OL, we can expect them to be crap, especially for the first half of the season.

Fritz
05-22-2014, 02:49 PM
He doesn't coach 'em up. He coaches 'em down.

smuggler
05-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Damn Campen

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 03:33 PM

NICE POINTS

I think Tretter has a shot and really like the fifth round center; he's a horse strength wise and comes form a high level program. I'm glad EDS is gone.
Also have always really like Bulaga when he's on the field and the fact that he played part of family night with a torn ACL lets us know he's a tough cookie....just needs to stay healthy

Guiness
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
NICE POINTS

I think Tretter has a shot and really like the fifth round center; he's a horse strength wise and comes form a high level program. I'm glad EDS is gone.
Also have always really like Bulaga when he's on the field and the fact that he played part of family night with a torn ACL lets us know he's a tough cookie....just needs to stay healthy

Center concerns me. The Pack is likely going to start a guy there that does not have an NFL snap under his belt, afaik no backup plan. TT has not often gone looking for outside help when things don't go as planned in TC (Ryan Grant would be the exception). What if the game proves too fast for them? I think I'm most concerned about the line calls, didn't we hear that Kuhn had to make them last year when EDS went down?

Joemailman
05-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Center concerns me. The Pack is likely going to start a guy there that does not have an NFL snap under his belt, afaik no backup plan. TT has not often gone looking for outside help when things don't go as planned in TC (Ryan Grant would be the exception). What if the game proves too fast for them? I think I'm most concerned about the line calls, didn't we hear that Kuhn had to make them last year when EDS went down?

Last year Lang played C when EDS had to come out. He wasn't good, but he didn't fall apart either. Tretter is probably the smartest guy on the team, and knew things well enough to be elevated to the 53 man roster late in the season. I would imagine that Linsley playing in Urban Mayer's offense probably had to be pretty good at making line calls.

I think people worry too much about the Center position.

mraynrand
05-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Last year Lang played C when EDS had to come out. He wasn't good, but he didn't fall apart either.

Lang is center-right.

RashanGary
05-23-2014, 06:58 PM
I have a feeling the OL is going to be better than it's been in a while. There are a lot of arrows pointing up and EDS was pretty bad last year.

Bretsky
05-23-2014, 07:13 PM
I disagree with the Campen Bashing; he's an average coach. He's developed some nice improvement on the OL. IMO there are worse coaches on this staff.

Joemailman
05-23-2014, 08:08 PM
I disagree with the Campen Bashing; he's an average coach. He's developed some nice improvement on the OL. IMO there are worse coaches on this staff.

I agree. Last year he had a rookie 4th round pick and an UDFA as his starting tackles, and they weren't too bad I'll bet few OL coaches had to make do with less. Campen might have been in over his head when he got the job 8 years ago, but I think he's a decent coach now.

Fritz
05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I have a feeling the OL is going to be better than it's been in a while. There are a lot of arrows pointing up and EDS was pretty bad last year.

I agree with this assessment.

And it's obvious that the arrow wasn't going to be pointing up with EDS around....

cheesner
05-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Who?

I agree that Campen has improved - but I still think he is a weak point for this team. It would be easy to say that the safeties coach must suck based on their play, but Darren Perry has done good things in the past and is fairly highly regarded. I'm willing to give him a pass for last year and say that things were out of his control with what he had to work with.

I forgot about Slocum. Maybe he is below Campen, but there are aspects of special teams which may indicate Slocum is improving as a coach.

Patler
06-04-2014, 01:44 AM
Interesting SI article with stats on the Packers success with low round draft picks and undrafted free agents:

• At the end of last year's injury-marred season in Green Bay, 27 of the players on the Packers' 53-man roster (more than half) came to the team either as a sixth- or seventh-round pick, or via the undrafted route. Twenty of those were undrafted. All told, 69 of the 90 players who went to training camp last year with Green Bay wound up appearing somewhere on an NFL regular-season roster at some point during 2013, according to the Packers.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140603/green-bay-packers-nfl-draft-colt-lyerla/#ixzz33eGRfKFk

Smidgeon
06-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Interesting SI article with stats on the Packers success with low round draft picks and undrafted free agents:

I read the article and had an interesting thought: considering how much we value high draft picks, how uncommon is it for a talented, starting tandem (in our case CBs) to be undrafted? I can see one of a pair sticking, but two? That seems highly unlikely. The only pair I can think of that would seem likely would be starting guards. But offensive tackles, wide receivers, safeties, outside and inside linebackers all seem like the premium talents come in the draft.

Guiness
06-04-2014, 01:04 PM
I read the article and had an interesting thought: considering how much we value high draft picks, how uncommon is it for a talented, starting tandem (in our case CBs) to be undrafted? I can see one of a pair sticking, but two? That seems highly unlikely. The only pair I can think of that would seem likely would be starting guards. But offensive tackles, wide receivers, safeties, outside and inside linebackers all seem like the premium talents come in the draft.

It is pretty impressive that both the Pack's starting CBs entered the league undrafted. I don't know for sure, but I doubt any other team has done that, at least in the last 15 years or so. Seems to me we see a fair number of CBs drafted in the first round, five of them this year.

Top CBs are highly prized, as evidenced by their franchise tag numbers. This year, they were the 4th highest tag, just 500K behind WRs at 3. 2013, they were 3rd highest, and '12 tied with DEs for second.

woodbuck27
06-04-2014, 01:22 PM

"It's just been a part of our education in the personnel department,'' Thompson said.

"Most of us were hired here in Green Bay by [former Packers GM] Ron Wolf, and he took that approach as a particular challenge, trying to find those guys in [collegiate] free agency was always a part of it. We're just disciples of it and we try to continue that mindset."

"Everybody loves their first-rounders and their second-rounders, but our coaches are very good with this approach, and that's maybe not always the case [with other teams]. Whoever we give them, they coach them up. We tell guys when we sign them or put them on the practice squad, 'You're here for a reason and everyone will get their chance to play.' Our veteran players and our team, they accept that. They know that's how it works here.''

GO PACK GO !