PDA

View Full Version : Official Colt Lyerla Thread

Brandon494
05-20-2014, 12:03 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Colt+Lyerla+Oregon+v+Washington+State+3XG2UMlqinKl .jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WmPZZ3TWI

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/colt-lyerla?id=2543636

Overview

Grew up poor in an unstable environment. Parents divorced when he was 9. Mother was on disability and unable to provide adequate structure, discipline and guidance, oftentimes relying on coaches to keep Colt in line, according to a September 2012 article in the Oregonian. Father moved to Hawaii during Colt's high school years and missed all his games from his sophomore year on. Consequently, Colt skipped stretches of class and was absent for meetings and practices, incurring suspension. Native Oregonian who won a state title and garnered all-state recognition as both a running back and linebacker. Ended a tumultuous recruiting process by committing to Oregon and then-head coach Chip Kelly. As a true freshman in 2011, had seven receptions for 147 yards (21-yard average) and five touchdowns in 12 games. Missed the first week of 2012 fall camp (undisclosed). On the season, started 9 of 13 games and contributed 25 catches for 392 yards and six TDs. In March 2013, tweeted a link to a video claiming the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting tragedy was a conspiracy, along with the comment: "The parents of the kids that supposedly died in the Sandy Hook situation are liars." Started three of the Ducks' first four games in the fall and had two catches for 12 yards and no TDs. Did not play against Tennessee because of the stomach flu, according to Lyerla, although head coach Mark Helfrich cited "circumstances." Was suspended against Colorado for violating team rules, then left the team Oct. 6 for personal reasons. Had his driver's license suspended Oct. 11 after getting four driving tickets in two years, then was arrested Oct. 23 for cocaine possession (pleaded guilty) after undercover officers reportedly spotted him using the drug in a car in a Eugene, Ore., parking lot. Did not perform three-cone drill at combine because of groin injury.

Analysis

Strengths
Good athlete. Fluid route runner. Very good body control. Adjusts easily to the ball. Can create in the open field with very good run skills. Natural hands. Good catching radius. Functional blocker with enough playing strength to sustain. Highly competitive and determined to prove critics wrong. Is smart and hardworking. Recorded a 39-inch vertical jump to pace all tight ends at the combine.

Weaknesses
Lacks ideal bulk strength to block in-line. Overly emotional and prone to outbursts following a dysfunctional childhood that offered little direction and much confusion related to a divorce. Not a disciplined team player. Off-the-field issues linger. Drops were too consistent (see West Virginia). Bench pressed 225 pounds only 15 times at combine.

Bottom Line
An extremely athletic receiving tight end, Lyerla was overshadowed by the play of emerging freshman Johnny Mundt and a litany of issues (suspensions, drugs, academics). Has overcome a lot of adversity stemming back to his youth and defied the odds to become an impactful performer. Possesses elite physical talent, but his history could easily knock him down several rounds and off many NFL draft boards. Would benefit tremendously from a coach willing to serve as a strong father figure and an established, veteran locker room with a positional leader able to take him under his wing the way Kyle Long did at Oregon.

Brandon494
05-20-2014, 12:04 AM
BANE!!!

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/235/608/608235.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMDbl58wJ0

mraynrand
05-20-2014, 07:15 AM
BANE!!!

What will McCarthy break first - His spirit or his body?

vince
05-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Here's the article referenced in his bio. (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/09/oregon_ducks_colt_lyerla_with.html)

I'm no psychologist (maybe it's as simple as a maturity issue but I don't think so) but it sounds like he may have a little social anxiety stemming from his childhood that he's sought escape from. I hope he continues to have a strong support network of peers because the attention/social demands and expectations are about to go up exponentially. I read somewhere (maybe here) that he's living with his trainer so that's the kind of structure he needs.

Hopefully ARod can get to him and take him under his wing because I think he has the kind of personality, self-control and personal command Lyerla could benefit from being around a lot. Maybe they have enough common interests to become close.

Woodson had issues in Oakland where he'd be up partying all night too that created a lot of his problems there. Then I think he found a good woman who produced some offspring and brought more meaning to his life.

It seems that there are some deeper personal issues he has to come to grips with (maybe he already has who knows) like not feeling like anyone was really there for him when he was a vulnerable child. Like Jolly, you worry about the periods away from the team support structure and he goes back to where he grew up and rekindle his past behaviors.

Unique combination of size, speed, tenacity and ability though. He's gonna be fun to root for. He'll make more money than he's ever been exposed to so hopefully it'll help make his life better. It'll definitely up the stakes in many ways. Here's hoping he responds.

run pMc
05-20-2014, 09:30 AM
AFC scout: "As a freshman I compared him to (Rob) Gronkowski. They played him at tight end, H-back, fullback. In high school he was one of the top rushers in the nation. He really liked Chip Kelly. He became like his father because he really had a messed-up family background. When Chip left it really hurt him. He's got a lot of problems in his background. I think Chip would probably take a shot on him. He's really intelligent. He's been pushed around his entire life and he has no confidence in himself off the field."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-the-scouts-are-saying-about-colt-lyerla-b99273970z1-259883161.html

I actually think a small town like GB, a coach like M3, and the locker room they will be about as good a situation for Lyerla as he'll find in the NFL. It's a better situation than, say...going to Miami. There are enough players who can lead and influence him for the better. What I'm more worried about is when football isn't happening is he going to keep his...um...nose clean?

Packers4Glory
05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Love this pick up. Not everyone has had a great childhood. Hopefully he's learned some lessons and has grown up and continues to make strides in that direction. Could be a huge steal for the Packers and the offense. It's really a no lose gamble on the teams part at this point.

Brandon494
05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Here's the article referenced in his bio. (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/09/oregon_ducks_colt_lyerla_with.html)

I'm no psychologist (maybe it's as simple as a maturity issue but I don't think so) but it sounds like he may have a little social anxiety stemming from his childhood that he's sought escape from. I hope he continues to have a strong support network of peers because the attention/social demands and expectations are about to go up exponentially. I read somewhere (maybe here) that he's living with his trainer so that's the kind of structure he needs.

Hopefully ARod can get to him and take him under his wing because I think he has the kind of personality, self-control and personal command Lyerla could benefit from being around a lot. Maybe they have enough common interests to become close.

Woodson had issues in Oakland where he'd be up partying all night too that created a lot of his problems there. Then I think he found a good woman who produced some offspring and brought more meaning to his life.

It seems that there are some deeper personal issues he has to come to grips with (maybe he already has who knows) like not feeling like anyone was really there for him when he was a vulnerable child. Like Jolly, you worry about the periods away from the team support structure and he goes back to where he grew up and rekindle his past behaviors.

Unique combination of size, speed, tenacity and ability though. He's gonna be fun to root for. He'll make more money than he's ever been exposed to so hopefully it'll help make his life better. It'll definitely up the stakes in many ways. Here's hoping he responds.

Yea I was thinking it might be something mental as well. To me it sounds more like borderline personality disorder. Brandon Marshall was diagnosed with this mental illness a few years back and since hes gotten help hes been a different person.

mraynrand
05-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Yea I was thinking it might be something mental as well. To me it sounds more like borderline personality disorder. Brandon Marshall was diagnosed with this mental illness a few years back and since hes gotten help hes been a different person.

Different person? Sounds like schizophrenia - maybe he was misdiagnosed.

Brandon494
05-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Different person? Sounds like schizophrenia - maybe he was misdiagnosed.

BPD can be treated with counseling and has done wonders for Marshall. If you remember his time in Denver he was a headcase and now he is signing his NFL contracts on the View. :shock:

http://voices.suntimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/BoAs_AbIAAAxgxH.jpg

Side note: Jenny McCarthy could still get it.

Zool
05-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Side note: Jenny McCarthy could still get it.

Well her kids could still get it, but she's been vaccinated against it.

Packers4Glory
05-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Well her kids could still get it, but she's been vaccinated against it.

bazinga

smuggler
05-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Sweet burn, Zool.

Carolina_Packer
05-21-2014, 07:57 AM
If it is BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder, here is an interesting tie-in with drug use and addiction...it kind of fits what is known about his personal profile. http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/borderline-personality-disorder-and-addiction/

pbmax
05-21-2014, 08:02 AM
I wonder how much the Packers actually know about him. I know the hype is that the research is endless and they turn over all the stones they can find.

But if it is an illness, there is likely a history associated with it that could extend well before college. I wonder if that kind of research is done?

Fritz
05-21-2014, 03:20 PM

This must mean Jermichael Finley has all kinds of meaning in his life.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 07:50 PM

Great post Vince.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Great post Vince.

mraynrand
05-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Great post Vince

denverYooper
05-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Great post Rand.

mraynrand
05-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Great post Yoop.

woodbuck27
05-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I wonder how much the Packers actually know about him. I know the hype is that the research is endless and they turn over all the stones they can find.

But if it is an illness, there is likely a history associated with it that could extend well before college. I wonder if that kind of research is done?

To diagnose BPD it's necessary to have a close inspection of a persons familial upbringing / environmental background.

Was there a familial history of abuse? Was the individual severely neglected or otherwise abused physically/mentally/sexually.

Was the abusive parent (s) substance or alcohol dependent?

Often a person suffering alcohol abuse acts similar to someone with Borderline Personality Disorder.

A key element of BPD in my research/experience with people; is that the sufferer of BPD lives a highly anxious life and that does include Panic Attacks. To ever see someone suffer "a Panic Attack" is to never forget that horrid experience.

Our latest prospect at the TE position Colt Lyeria my be suffering alcohol and /or substance abuse at criticle times in his life and especially when he's needing to be most responsible.

This man needs extra attention to pass the test of becoming a Green Bay Packer TE; and Green Bay may be the BEST ticket to ride.

bobblehead
05-21-2014, 08:59 PM
This must mean Jermichael Finley has all kinds of meaning in his life.

But not as much as Antonio Cromartie or Shawn Kemp.