PDA

View Full Version : Official Non NFC North NFL News 2014 (Unofficial Johnny Manziel)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Joemailman
07-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Report that Marshawn Lynch will be a hold out. He is entering the 3rd year of a 4 year, 30 million dollar contract. http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/24/marshawn-lynch-seahawks-holdout

Probably looking for more guaranteed money.

pbmax
07-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Its like coaches don't read press coverage of other coaches that get fired quickly, and then go out and make the same mistakes. Let's say that the Kaepernick comparison is valid (he got VERY few snaps - 5 attempt rookie year, 9 in 2nd year prior to Alex Smith getting hurt versus the Rams), it still makes it on of the VERY few instances of this dumb idea working.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/browns-may-use-manziel-in-a-specialty-package/

“That’s how Colin Kaepernick got his start in the NFL, as a package quarterback,” Pettine said of the former 49ers backup. “On the other side of the ball, I’ve seen that give defenses some trouble. I think there’s positives and negatives to it. You’re taking your starter off the field. You have his rhythm and continuity to take into account, but at the same time defensively you’re now forcing a team to basically come up with two game plans. I mean, there are pluses and minuses to it and it’s something I’m sure will be discussed at some point.”

This is a defensive coaches mindset, one who has not adjusted to thinking about building an actual functional offense. He might as well just change his name to Ryan.

pbmax
07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1h
I'm going to be really depressed when Kyle Shanahan and CLE put Manziel in to run WAS/RG3 pistol read stuff right into teeth of the defense

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1h
.@RobertOlson92 well bigger thing is Manziel is a different kind of QB. A small guy who is an instinctive scrambler, not for designed runs

@smartfootball Exactly. I'm just saying that if you want long-term success on offense, the Shanahan/RG3 offense from 2012 is not the answer.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

SJG$ ‏@SJGMoney 58m
@smartfootball @RobertOlson92 Except Sumlin had plenty of designed runs for him for some reason. Started off both Bama games that way.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 56m
@SJGMoney @RobertOlson92 he had a few, not saying he can't do it, though it's also about the NFL beating vs college.

Robert Olson ‏@RobertOlson92 55m
@smartfootball @SJGMoney Exactly.

SJG$ ‏@SJGMoney 53m
@RobertOlson92 @smartfootball Not disagreeing, it struck me as odd that Sumlin would risk that last year. He had more than a few.

Guiness
07-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Report that Marshawn Lynch will be a hold out. He is entering the 3rd year of a 4 year, 30 million dollar contract. http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/24/marshawn-lynch-seahawks-holdout

Probably looking for more guaranteed money.

Can't see him getting it. There are too many other guys who need to get paid, and although he's played very well for them, he's more fungible than the others.

Guiness
07-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Its like coaches don't read press coverage of other coaches that get fired quickly, and then go out and make the same mistakes. Let's say that the Kaepernick comparison is valid (he got VERY few snaps - 5 attempt rookie year, 9 in 2nd year prior to Alex Smith getting hurt versus the Rams), it still makes it on of the VERY few instances of this dumb idea working.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/browns-may-use-manziel-in-a-specialty-package/

This is a defensive coaches mindset, one who has not adjusted to thinking about building an actual functional offense. He might as well just change his name to Ryan.

Worked for Tebow! Oh, wait...

Striker
07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Can't see him getting it. There are too many other guys who need to get paid, and although he's played very well for them, he's more fungible than the others.

I agree, but I'm certainly for anything that causes a distraction for Seattle.

Fritz
07-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Possible big Super Bowl hangover coming to Seattle? No Golden "Shower" Tate, possibly no Marshawn Lynch? If he doesn't play for them, the "Is Russel Wilson a truly great QB" debate will get resolved quickly.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 04:10 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m
Ben Roethlisberger emphasized fitness, arm strength in offseason http://wp.me/p14QSB-9wDG

Now that he is married, he spends less time on assault.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 44m
CB Aaron Ross (Achilles) has been officially placed on Injured Reserve.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5h
Rex Ryan speaking here, saying that rookie S Calvin Pryor had a head injury during practice. May be a concussion

#winning

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Things going sideways for Pro Football Talk again.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5h
Elephant in the NFL media room: There's very little if any direct mention of the photo of Manziel tightly rolling up a bill in a bathroom.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 4h
In two press conferences and counting, no one has asked Manziel about the photo of the rolled-up bill http://wp.me/p14QSB-9wDq

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 3h
To clarify, Manziel was asked one question about the rolled up bill and the transcript was edited by the team to not mention it.

Manziel's answer was evasive, and the question of what Manziel was doing with the rolled-up bill remains unanswered, probably for good.

That folks, is going in a circle in a hurry.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 7h
49ers confirm Kendall Hunter tore his ACL in yesterday's practice.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette 7h
Just sat down with Steelers Ben Roethlisberger. Interesting. His relationship with OC Todd Haley has reached point he calls him a "friend.''

:roll:

Zool
07-29-2014, 10:00 AM
To me, Chip Kelly makes a lot of sense in this article. People expect every player drafted to be a 15 year starter and constant all-pro but that's not reality. Half of them suck their first day on the job. Most of the other half take time to develop before they are at best marginal starters.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/29/kelly-elaborates-on-his-disdain-for-draft-hype/

Joemailman
07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
To me, Chip Kelly makes a lot of sense in this article. People expect every player drafted to be a 15 year starter and constant all-pro but that's not reality. Half of them suck their first day on the job. Most of the other half take time to develop before they are at best marginal starters.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/29/kelly-elaborates-on-his-disdain-for-draft-hype/

Kelly is right. What he doesn't mention though is that The NFL is a big part of the hype that he disdains. What used to be an event that only football junkies watched on ESPN is now a prime time three-night show on the NFL Network. And not even ESPN spends as much time on pre-draft coverage as the NFL Network does.

pbmax
07-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Tell Chip Kelly if he can manage to remove the salary cap and kill the 3 years after high school rule, then people will pay as much attention to the NFL Draft as they do the MLB draft.

Every GM in the League values it more than George Allen did for a reason.

Zool
07-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I was speaking more from a armchair GM standpoint where people freak out about draft picks not panning out then call for a GM's head. Amateur GM guy who clearly knows more than anyone else on building a team. I could name names but that might be rude.

Joemailman
08-02-2014, 06:20 PM
49ers DT Glenn Dorsey out for season with torn biceps. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11300061/glenn-dorsey-san-francisco-49ers-season

Perhaps Pickett or Jolly will end up there.

Guiness
08-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Houston's draft picks not exactly panning out.

Clowney had the sports hernia, and now it sitting out 'with a leg', or more specifically(!) a right leg. Louis Nix, who many of us here were clamoring for as a Raji replacement as he slipped, is on the PUP after offseason knee surgery.

We moan about the Packers medical staff, but heads should be rolling over that mess.

pbmax
08-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
#Bengals are finalizing a deal with QB Andy Dalton on a 6-year extension, source confirms. Pays him more than Kaepernick (ESPN 1st reported)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m
Will be curious to see final details of Andy Dalton’s contract. Early word was more fully guaranteed than Kaepernick’s $12.3M.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3m
There are 6 new years on the Dalton deal, beyond him already signed in 2014. So Bengals have his rights thru 2020

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 30m
BREAKING: Bengals + QB Andy Dalton reach agreement on 6-year, $115M contract ext

Breathtakingly dumb, unless it truly is like Kaepernick's deal.

Guiness
08-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
#Bengals are finalizing a deal with QB Andy Dalton on a 6-year extension, source confirms. Pays him more than Kaepernick (ESPN 1st reported)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m
Will be curious to see final details of Andy Dalton’s contract. Early word was more fully guaranteed than Kaepernick’s $12.3M.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3m
There are 6 new years on the Dalton deal, beyond him already signed in 2014. So Bengals have his rights thru 2020

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 30m
BREAKING: Bengals + QB Andy Dalton reach agreement on 6-year, $115M contract ext

Breathtakingly dumb, unless it truly is like Kaepernick's deal.

Only way I see this making sense is if the salary numbers start low-ish (say, $14M?) and climb every year. If they're paying him anywhere near the average of 19M they're making a huge mistake.

pbmax
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1h
Matt Millen doesn't count, Pete. RT @PriscoCBS I've had at least four NFL people tell me they think Seattle wins title with Dalton at QB.

I don't agree with Bretsky about Wilson's ultimate upside, but this statement is ludicrous. Dalton cannot keep plays alive, that is the point of much of the criticism.

Guiness
08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Reports coming out now that Dalton's deal is 2yrs, $25M and year to year after that. About what I'd expect.

pbmax
08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
All the Atlanta Falcons preview you need: http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2014-atlanta-falcons-1618139918/all

Your quarterback: Matt Ryan. All this time we've been wondering if Joe Flacco is elite. Meanwhile, Matty Ice skates by, completely under-scrutinized when it comes to elite-itude. Here is Matt Ryan's game log (http://www.nfl.com/player/mattryan/310/gamelogs) from a season ago. Can you pinpoint where Julio Jones gets hurt? I'll give you a hint: It's somewhere before Ryan throws 15 picks in his last 10 games. OOPTY!

KYPack
08-08-2014, 08:21 PM
One great comment from a Packer fan re: that Deadspin article...

"Sometimes I still watch the 2010 Packers/Falcons NFL Divisional game and touch myself."

smuggler
08-08-2014, 08:45 PM
A lot of QBs would have won that Super Bowl last season on the Seahawks. Should that really be a reason to pay a guy?

bobblehead
08-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Things going sideways for Pro Football Talk again.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5h
Elephant in the NFL media room: There's very little if any direct mention of the photo of Manziel tightly rolling up a bill in a bathroom.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 4h
In two press conferences and counting, no one has asked Manziel about the photo of the rolled-up bill http://wp.me/p14QSB-9wDq

To clarify, Manziel was asked one question about the rolled up bill and the transcript was edited by the team to not mention it.

Manziel's answer was evasive, and the question of what Manziel was doing with the rolled-up bill remains unanswered, probably for good.

That folks, is going in a circle in a hurry.

How hard is it to say "I was joking around with a friend" There are probably pictures of me with a rolled up bill in my nose pressed against baking soda from days of goofing around in college. Anyway, at the point that you say "goofing around" its effectively over. Prove me wrong.

RashanGary
08-08-2014, 10:16 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1h
Matt Millen doesn't count, Pete. RT @PriscoCBS I've had at least four NFL people tell me they think Seattle wins title with Dalton at QB.

I don't agree with Bretsky about Wilson's ultimate upside, but this statement is ludicrous. Dalton cannot keep plays alive, that is the point of much of the criticism.

Im not a badger fan. I have no reason to like Wilson other than I like his game (mental and physical.) I really believe he's good, and not just a little good. He's always on the ball, in charge, moving the ball, making things happen, reliable in that he consistently makes things happen, especially when they need it. He has a big enough arm, accurate, moves well...... He has everything you need, physically, but his composure and competitive drive set him apart. He's the best young qb IMO.

Brandon494
08-09-2014, 03:43 AM
A lot of QBs would have won that Super Bowl last season on the Seahawks. Should that really be a reason to pay a guy?

Have you watched Russel Wilson play? 25 year old Pro Bowl QBs don't just grow on trees. The guy was in the top 5 for QB rating his rookie season and top 8 last year. Yes the defense is the reason they won the Super Bowl but who knows if they even get there without Wilson under center. IMO hes the next Drew Brees with the way he carries himself on and off the field, hard guy not to root for.

KYPack
08-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Have you watched Russel Wilson play? 25 year old Pro Bowl QBs don't just grow on trees. The guy was in the top 5 for QB rating his rookie season and top 8 last year. Yes the defense is the reason they won the Super Bowl but who knows if they even get there without Wilson under center. IMO hes the next Drew Brees with the way he carries himself on and off the field, hard guy not to root for.

Brees and Wilson are similar guys. Not the biggest QB's, but right at the top with flawless preparation and hard work. The guys seem to like both of 'em, too.

pbmax
08-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Perhaps not. But Wilson's skill set is not as easily replaceable as just grabbing a "Dalton" off the shelf.

vince
08-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Perhaps not. But Wilson's skill set is not as easily replaceable as just grabbing a "Dalton" off the shelf.
Yeah Wilson's just a really smart player on top of his versatility. He's not really an elite passer (possibly because his team doesn't want/need him to throw it all over the field) but it seems like every time they have a 3rd down to convert, if he doesn't see his receivers open quickly he tucks, runs and gets just enough for the first down every time - a la Arod but maybe a bit quicker to flush which some would like Rodgers to be. That's huge.

pbmax
08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 11m
Of course Kyle Shanahan has Manziel running pistol read options (which he rarely did in college) … in the preseason

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 8m
Nick Saban: Manziel "doesn’t run a lot of QB runs. He runs QB draws and he runs when it’s a pass and…[he] scrambles" http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110512aae.html …

Idiots.

pbmax
08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1m
Is Manziel's shoulder gimpy? Looked like it hurt him after the scramble and looked ginger on that handoff?

pbmax
08-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Jeebus. Neal had Whitehurst twice and Pennel had pressure before a panic throw was completed the WR escaped for a huge gain. Ridiculous.

Barrington missed a tackle after the catch that would have prevented a first.

pbmax
08-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Sherrod passes off stunt and recovers for looper nicely. But he tends to block high and get out of balance. Needs to get deeper bend in his knees when preparing to punch/engage.

Smaller pass rushers are not getting around him. But I could see him having trouble with strong bull rushers. Needs better base.

Joemailman
08-09-2014, 08:27 PM
PB, wrong thread?

pbmax
08-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Whoops.

pbmax
08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 49m
RT @SandoESPN: #Seahawks camp: Percy Harvin limps off. Moving slowly.

pbmax
08-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 9m
#Broncos LB Danny Trevathan has a left medial tibial impaction fracture. He is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.

denverYooper
08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 9m
#Broncos LB Danny Trevathan has a left medial tibial impaction fracture. He is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.

So he has a leg?

bobblehead
08-12-2014, 07:57 PM
So he has a leg?

2 of them

pbmax
08-12-2014, 10:19 PM
2 of them

One in two pieces.

Pugger
08-12-2014, 11:09 PM
I haven't read this entire thread but I am sick to death of Johnny Football. NFLN and BSPN are shoving this kid down our throats and have been since the draft. After the Packer game Saturday night we turned on BSPN. We were on our way home from GB and he hotel we were in didn't have the NFLN or MLBN but we wanted to catch highlites of the Pack and the Brewers. Those clowns talked about Manziel the entire first half hour of Sportscenter. After a half an hour of this nonsense they announced the score of the Little League game that was on BSPN2 and then proceeded to re-air the first half hour AGAIN for those who missed it while watching BSPN2! :talk: I thought the obsession they had over Tebow was terrible but this is ridiculous. Why in the hell are they gushing over this kid who will play for a sub .500 team? I could understand if his team was gonna be relevant this year but seriously, the Browns? :doh: I ended up turning it off.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 11:38 PM
I just watched a replay of the Browns game. Manziel looked awesome. I think I'm going to be wrong on him. His arm is a lot stronger than I gave him credit for. He was accurate. He ran around like Russell Wilson. His size is now the only thing that may hold him back. Like Mike Vick, he'll get punished in the NFL. Their rookie RB, Terrance West, looked good. Ex-Packer Charles Johnson made some plays too. Cleveland is going to surprise some people, if Josh Gordon finagles his way out of a long suspension.

Patler
08-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 49m
RT @SandoESPN: #Seahawks camp: Percy Harvin limps off. Moving slowly.

Percy Harvin injured? I'm shocked!

pbmax
08-13-2014, 09:17 AM
I haven't read this entire thread but I am sick to death of Johnny Football. NFLN and BSPN are shoving this kid down our throats and have been since the draft. After the Packer game Saturday night we turned on BSPN. We were on our way home from GB and he hotel we were in didn't have the NFLN or MLBN but we wanted to catch highlites of the Pack and the Brewers. Those clowns talked about Manziel the entire first half hour of Sportscenter. After a half an hour of this nonsense they announced the score of the Little League game that was on BSPN2 and then proceeded to re-air the first half hour AGAIN for those who missed it while watching BSPN2! :talk: I thought the obsession they had over Tebow was terrible but this is ridiculous. Why in the hell are they gushing over this kid who will play for a sub .500 team? I could understand if his team was gonna be relevant this year but seriously, the Browns? :doh: I ended up turning it off.

I agree with everything you said about BSPN. But I am still rooting for Manziel to save the Browns from themselves.

Zool
08-13-2014, 10:04 AM
When he plays against the 1s in a regular season game, we'll see what he's got. The first preseason game, he was just that much more athletic than his competition. We'll see if he's Tebow or if he's Kaepernick and I would guess we'll see it week 1. He's definitely selling everything orange (brown?) right now.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 10:33 AM
At Cowboys camp, players have to keep their heads on a swivel, watching out for fans swinging helmets at their noggin.

Fan swings helmet at Cowboys’ Webb during practice fight; Webb swings back (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/12/fan-swings-helmet-at-cowboys-webb-during-practice-fight-webb-swings-back/)

According to multiple published reports, a spectator swung a helmet at Cowboys cornerback B.W. Webb during Tuesday’s joint practice between Dallas and Oakland in Oxnard, California.

The incident occurred as Cowboys and Raiders players brawled near fans. According to The Associated Press and Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the helmet missed Webb. The AP reports Webb then took his own “swing” at the spectator, with the Star-Telegram reporting Webb twice tried to get after the fan before coaches intervened.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Video! I didn't see the swing in this one, but at the very end, you can see the guy with the helmet in the crowd along the sideline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfM6Qv8gXlk

pbmax
08-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Here is the swing.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/blogs/blue-star/Cowboys--Raiders-Fight-During-Scrimmage/271011101

pbmax
08-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Cowboys offense under former Packer coach McAdoo is struggling.

Should read Giants offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/13/ben-mcadoo-giants-need-to-take-leap-of-faith-with-new-offense/

EDITED FOR ACCURACY, CLARITY AND THE HOPE FOR A CURE TO BONE-HEADEDNESS

Zool
08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Cowboys offense under former Packer coach McAdoo is struggling.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/13/ben-mcadoo-giants-need-to-take-leap-of-faith-with-new-offense/

*Giants offense*

pbmax
08-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Posted in Game Day thread as well.

Jeff Fisher: Rams running back Isaiah Pead tears ACL (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/16/jeff-fisher-rams-running-back-isaiah-pead-tears-acl/)

pbmax
08-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Agent Ben McAdoo is doing a bang up job for the Packers in NY.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 4m
Small sample size, but Eli looks BAD. Hesitant, inaccurate, doesn't throw with anticipation. Know OL is a problem, but this may be bigger.

Now if we can get Slocum posted to San Fran, we'll be in business.

Joemailman
08-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Posted in Game Day thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Jeff Fisher: Rams running back Isaiah Pead tears ACL

Did he say he has a knee?

Joemailman
08-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Small sample size, but Eli looks BAD. Hesitant, inaccurate, doesn't throw with anticipation. Know OL is a problem, but this may be bigger.

Maybe the Blue Dog was right. Maybe we can get a draft pick for Flynn or Tolzien.

pbmax
08-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 11m
Ryan Shazier- 11 tackles and 1 INT.

How is CJ Mosley doing?

Fritz
08-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 11m
Ryan Shazier- 11 tackles and 1 INT.

How is CJ Mosley doing?

Apparently, he's playing well...at defensive tackle, for the Detroit Lions, in place of Nick Fairley:

"Fairley, who played with the second-team defense all week in practice and in Friday night’s road exhibition loss to the Raiders, stayed with the second group during Saturday afternoon’s practice. Instead, C.J. Mosley got the first-team reps and had three tackles against the Raiders."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140816/SPORTS0101/308160048#ixzz3AfRwZYPQ

pbmax
08-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Apparently, he's playing well...at defensive tackle, for the Detroit Lions, in place of Nick Fairley:

"Fairley, who played with the second-team defense all week in practice and in Friday night’s road exhibition loss to the Raiders, stayed with the second group during Saturday afternoon’s practice. Instead, C.J. Mosley got the first-team reps and had three tackles against the Raiders."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140816/SPORTS0101/308160048#ixzz3AfRwZYPQ

Well his namesake is on the Ravens:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Veterans-Impressed-By-Rookie-CJ-Mosley/cfd82cba-d2dc-46d7-92bb-1a1a1661d083

pbmax
08-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 11m
Official word... RT @CardsMarkD : MRI on Darnell Dockett right knee reveals torn ACL. Injury will require surgery & is season-ending.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 10:03 PM
There are going to be some offended reporters tomorrow in the paper.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvXiVDTIMAAy916.jpg

smuggler
08-18-2014, 11:18 PM
So, Darnell Dockett's knee just got gottened. Seattle title defensegets ever so slightly more likely.. As for Manziel.... he is such a classic Cleveland bust. Why didnt they take the Bridge???

wist43
08-19-2014, 07:46 AM

lol...

Never thought of it that way, '... if we can't get better - let's conspire to make our opponents worse!!'

Truly Machiavellian!!

I salute you for thinking outside the box - it hadn't even occured to me to engage in subterfuge :)

wist43
08-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Was reading this article by Will Brinson and thought this was funny, lol...

"... if you can't protect Manziel, you can't really justify throwing him on the field.

Limited protection plus limited weapons plus a fearless quarterback who loves to improvise has "wrongful death lawsuit" stamped all over it."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24667173/nfl-preseason-mixed-bag-from-robert-griffin-iii-johnny-manziel

Manziel is such a punk... can't wait for him to be carried off the field and forgotten.

Joemailman
08-19-2014, 08:04 AM
lol...

Never thought of it that way, '... if we can't get better - let's conspire to make our opponents worse!!'

Truly Machiavellian!!

I salute you for thinking outside the box - it hadn't even occured to me to engage in subterfuge :)

You mean you haven't tried to get Capers shipped off to San Francisco?:lol:

wist43
08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
You mean you haven't tried to get Capers shipped off to San Francisco?:lol:

Well, it's clear to me now... max has shown me the game - Capers is one such plant on our team, from some other team - my guess is San Francisco.

When a crime is committed?? Follow the money... yep, my money is on San Francisco - they have benefitted the most from Capers tenure in Green Bay.

I've been trying to do him one better than infecting another team with his presence though... hit the beach dude!! Call it a career... no more work, just beaches, golf, and babes - instead?? He spends his winters in Green Bay mucking up my football team :bang:

denverYooper
08-19-2014, 09:54 AM
So, Darnell Dockett's knee just got gottened. Seattle title defensegets ever so slightly more likely.. As for Manziel.... he is such a classic Cleveland bust. Why didnt they take the Bridge???

The shift in emphasis on PI this year bears watching. It doesn't take much to tip the balance in today's NFL and the renewed attention to PI, even if Seattle is "good" at playing aggressively w/o penalty, could cost them some yards and points.

That kickoff game could be mighty interesting if they start out calling it close.

Guiness
08-19-2014, 10:52 AM
The shift in emphasis on PI this year bears watching. It doesn't take much to tip the balance in today's NFL and the renewed attention to PI, even if Seattle is "good" at playing aggressively w/o penalty, could cost them some yards and points.

That kickoff game could be mighty interesting if they start out calling it close.

Very much agreed. Parity rules in the NFL, and if a player who was formerly elite at his position loses some effectiveness, it can have a huge impact. The secondary was one of Seattle's strengths, I'm not sure how Sherman in particular will handle the rule change, he's a very physical corner.

Just Jeff
08-19-2014, 12:47 PM

This seals Manziel's fate as a starter at QB for at least 9 years. Cleveland will never attempt to replace him or upgrade the position. When his contract expires, the Browns will negotiate against themselves and extend him for well over market value. He will never be considered anything more than an average QB, and will eventually take a restructured contract to assist his team, in gratitude for paying him too much money for too long. Even in his waning years, Manziel will have little to no significant competition for his job. On the positive side, he will almost never be injured, play almost every offensive down, and give 100% on every snap.

pbmax
08-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
LB Vontaze Burfict's extension with Bengals is a four-year, $20 million deal, including $7.6 million this year.

Now that is a turnaround.

denverYooper
08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvg7-_gCQAAvY87.jpg:large

smuggler
08-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Huh. Looks like the Seahawks will not be repeating as SB champs...

Cheesehead Craig
08-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
LB Vontaze Burfict's extension with Bengals is a four-year, $20 million deal, including $7.6 million this year.

Now that is a turnaround.
True that. Boy was I wrong about him.

bobblehead
08-21-2014, 01:23 AM
There are going to be some offended reporters tomorrow in the paper.

Could have been worse. He could have called them all Redskins.

vince
08-21-2014, 03:16 AM
The ol' FU with the surprise stick it up your ass combo. Johnny don't take no shit.

Fritz
08-22-2014, 05:18 AM
I am frankly rooting against the guy. His attitude is that of a blowhard. He's got some talent, but to me, not enough to do the crap he does.

KYPack
08-22-2014, 11:05 AM
I am frankly rooting against the guy. His attitude is that of a blowhard. He's got some talent, but to me, not enough to do the crap he does.

He does seem to be a dick.

I'm amazed at how small he is. He's listed at 6' (5-11& 3/4, actually), but he plays smaller than that. Drew Brees is the same size, but Brees was light years better than this kid. Manziel strikes as the kind of player that will smooshed before he can ever learn the NFL game.

smuggler
08-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Word is that Sam Bradford tore his ACL in the 3rd preseason game...

That's a tough pill for Rams fans and it makes the Seahawks and 49ers jobs much easier.

George Cumby
08-24-2014, 03:12 PM

I am rooting for him to succeed because he seems like such the punk. A controversial character we love to hate makes the league more fun, IMO. Stir things up a little bit, get the juices flowing.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Now confirmed. Bradford out for season with ACL. Rams need to find a starting QB who can stay healthy.

red
08-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Now confirmed. Bradford out for season with ACL. Rams need to find a starting QB who can stay healthy.

guys was a massive injury concern coming out of school. no way he ever should have gone #1

Cheesehead Craig
08-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Bradford: The last of the big rookie QB contracts.

Zool
08-25-2014, 08:24 AM
guys was a massive injury concern coming out of school. no way he ever should have gone #1

He hurt his shoulder in college. Someone rolled into his knees. It's not like he has hamstring issues.

Guiness
08-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Bradford: The last of the big rookie QB contracts.

Yup, and quite possibly soon gone. They're on the hook for this year's salary, of course, but can save next year's $12M+ number, and I expect they will.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Randall Liu ‏@RLiuNFL 2m
Redskins S Brandon Meriweather suspended 1st 2 games of regular season for 6th violation of player safety rules

I wonder if his contracts should just be for eight games and then he gets bonuses if he actually plays in more.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Pats traded Mankins to the Bucs for a TE and a 4th rounder next season. Not sure how bad this deal is for either side. heh

Guiness
08-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Pats traded Mankins to the Bucs for a TE and a 4th rounder next season. Not sure how bad this deal is for either side. heh

Don't often (ever?) see deals like that in the NFL. He was traded part way through a big contract, he had 3 years left on it, and the Pats are left with 2 years worth of signing bonus related dead money.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 05:48 PM
He was a free agent after 2014. They saved more than $5mil against the cap this year by trading him.

Joemailman
08-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Seahawks/Carroll fined $300,000, will lose 2 2015 minicamp practices for excessive contact in 2014 minicamp. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/08/26/pete-carroll-fine-cba-seattle-minicamp/14646221/

Guiness
08-26-2014, 09:33 PM
He was a free agent after 2014. They saved more than $5mil against the cap this year by trading him.

Mankins is signed through 2016.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Leave it to ESPN to be wrong outright.

Joemailman
08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Josh Gordon appeal denied. He gets one year suspension. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000384185/article/josh-gordon-appeal-denied-suspended-one-season

pbmax
08-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Josh Gordon appeal denied. He gets one year suspension. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000384185/article/josh-gordon-appeal-denied-suspended-one-season

Just dumb. Both Gordon and the League.

smuggler
08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
He also misses the entire 2015 preseason because the league feels like bein extra shitty.

Patler
08-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Just dumb. Both Gordon and the League.

I haven't been following the details. What did the league do wrong?

pbmax
08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
I haven't been following the details. What did the league do wrong?

Applied a no imagination reading of their rules to his results. His A test was positive (over the limit), his B test sample was negative (under the limit). Under Baseball, Olympic or US Military testing, the B sample would clear the subject though there is some debate about the B sample because the NFL doesn't routinely measure concentrations in the B sample (just uses it to confirm presence of objectionable material). I presume from what I have read that Gordon's team insisted on a concentration level measure for the B sample.

It looks bad for the League to have Rice back by Game 3 and Gordon gone for the year. The League is dumb for taking the black eye when it might have been avoided. Gordon would be at fault if he refused to deal, not to mention the original problem of inhaling the weed.

The reason the decision took so long, it would seem, is that the parties were negotiating something less than a year. Oddly, however, there were reports today that said Gordon's side refused to negotiate. That would leave open the question of why a formulaic ruling took so long to conclude.

Unfortunately for Gordon, compared to Baseball, Olympic or US Military testing, the threshold is very low. This was the carrot the NFL was dangling in front of the NFLPA when trying to get HGH testing rolling with Goodell still hearing appeals.

Guiness
08-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately for Gordon, compared to Baseball, Olympic or US Military testing, the threshold is very low. This was the carrot the NFL was dangling in front of the NFLPA when trying to get HGH testing rolling with Goodell still hearing appeals.

Yup, everyone else's threshold is 150ng, NFL is still using 15ng, which is the old standard that the other organizations realized was unreasonable and somewhat ridiculous. Problem is, in return for keeping up with the times, the NFL wanted the NFLPA to sign off on them being the judge, jury and executioner wrt HGH penalties. The players smartly refused, so the NFL refused to adopt a change the other bodies pbmax mentioned have all decided is better.

Gordon is the collateral damage, but I can't help but feel like he was doomed anyways with the DUI he racked up while this was going on.

smuggler
08-28-2014, 01:20 AM
DUI would have meant probably an 8 game ban for him anyway.

pbmax
08-28-2014, 08:17 AM
DUI would have meant probably an 8 game ban for him anyway.

The problem the League faces is that the letter of the law says a year. But given the mitigating circumstances and the Rice situation, where clearly the punishments need to be adjusted, it was a good case to reach an agreement.

I cannot see the advantage to Gordon to not negotiate, take an all or nothing approach on appeal. If he did, then he must be relying on the Courts. If he had no backup plan, then he is a fool.

Guiness
08-28-2014, 08:35 AM
The problem the League faces is that the letter of the law says a year. But given the mitigating circumstances and the Rice situation, where clearly the punishments need to be adjusted, it was a good case to reach an agreement.

I cannot see the advantage to Gordon to not negotiate, take an all or nothing approach on appeal. If he did, then he must be relying on the Courts. If he had no backup plan, then he is a fool.

He certainly seems to be a fool.

I don't know why him and the Rice situation are so closely tied in the media. It seems like a straw man to me, there is no relationship between the two events, except proximity in time. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) Rice was not charged, and there is no evidence at all that he actually knocked her out. Rice's punishment seems to me to be a little like Ben R's, he was given a suspension because he 'tarnished the shield'. Shouldn't Gordon's suspension be compared to Reshad Jones, or Lavon Brazill?

Zool
08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
While there's no official report that he knocked her out, the video of him dragging her out of the elevator by the arm sure made it look like she was out cold.

ThunderDan
08-28-2014, 09:20 AM
He certainly seems to be a fool.

I don't know why him and the Rice situation are so closely tied in the media. It seems like a straw man to me, there is no relationship between the two events, except proximity in time. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) Rice was not charged, and there is no evidence at all that he actually knocked her out. Rice's punishment seems to me to be a little like Ben R's, he was given a suspension because he 'tarnished the shield'. Shouldn't Gordon's suspension be compared to Reshad Jones, or Lavon Brazill?

Rice was charged and they came to an agreement. He has to undergo anger management classes and stay clean for a year. If he does his record is cleared of all wrong doing.

smuggler
08-28-2014, 09:40 AM
I actually "know" Rice by three degrees of separation. His story from a friend of a friend of a friend: He hit her, but never knocked her out. But she was almost blackout drunk to begin with and slapping him in the face and basically daring him to do it because she knew he couldn't. The reason for the fight? She wanted to stay and get even more wasted and waste more of his money in the casino and he noped her. When you see him dragging her like that out of the elevator, it's because she's conscious and just refusing to stand up like a pouting child. It's possible he just made up that story for his buddies, but if it's true, the 2 game suspension is pretty punitive for something that he's legally allowed to do. And yeah, they are both stupid for getting drunk in the public eye.

Comparing Rice and Gordon is apples to oranges. Gordon left college under dubious circumstances and has been disciplined by the league before. Rice has never had another incident afaik.

3irty1
08-28-2014, 10:25 AM
He was considered a 3-4 before the combine, where he performed poorly. People expected his lack of physical ability to drop him only a round or so, but it put him down three full rounds.

Meanwhile, a guy named Jackson Jeffcoat, almost as productive in college, more physically gifted, and less "media circus," went undrafted entirely. Go figure.

Jeffcoat is also the son of Jim Jeffcoat formerly of the Dallas Cowboys so add NFL pedigree to his resume. He must be quite the paper tiger because he was waved today by the Seahawks.

pbmax
08-28-2014, 12:27 PM
I actually "know" Rice by three degrees of separation. His story from a friend of a friend of a friend: He hit her, but never knocked her out. But she was almost blackout drunk to begin with and slapping him in the face and basically daring him to do it because she knew he couldn't. The reason for the fight? She wanted to stay and get even more wasted and waste more of his money in the casino and he noped her. When you see him dragging her like that out of the elevator, it's because she's conscious and just refusing to stand up like a pouting child. It's possible he just made up that story for his buddies, but if it's true, the 2 game suspension is pretty punitive for something that he's legally allowed to do. And yeah, they are both stupid for getting drunk in the public eye.

Comparing Rice and Gordon is apples to oranges. Gordon left college under dubious circumstances and has been disciplined by the league before. Rice has never had another incident afaik.

The argument that he hit her, but not hard enough to knock her out is too precious for words.

Rice is dumb enough to get baited into a criminal act by someone spending his money. That is a special kind of fool. The kind of fool who can be manipulated by someone who is nearly blackout drunk. If this story is even partially true, he is dumber than he first appeared to be. That he isn't smart enough to leave that trouble behind that night, indeed, that he is dumb enough to stay with it, should be reason enough to get a larger suspension.

They both should have spent the night locked up.

But I am not comparing Rice and Gordon as people. I am comparing the punishments for their actions. Rice hit someone and gets 2 games. Gordon, apparently from a contact buzz (which seems almost too ludicrous to believe but I have not seen any insistence to the contrary) gets 1 year.

Guiness
08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
The argument that he hit her, but not hard enough to knock her out is too precious for words.

Rice is dumb enough to get baited into a criminal act by someone spending his money. That is a special kind of fool. The kind of fool who can be manipulated by someone who is nearly blackout drunk. If this story is even partially true, he is dumber than he first appeared to be. That he isn't smart enough to leave that trouble behind that night, indeed, that he is dumb enough to stay with it, should be reason enough to get a larger suspension.

They both should have spent the night locked up.

But I am not comparing Rice and Gordon as people. I am comparing the punishments for their actions. Rice hit someone and gets 2 games. Gordon, apparently from a contact buzz (which seems almost too ludicrous to believe but I have not seen any insistence to the contrary) gets 1 year.

While I somewhat agree with you in your assessment of Rice, you have to know there are some pretty big caveats in there. It wasn't just anyone manipulating him, it was his fiance. She was nearly blackout drunk, and so was he. That makes it a very volatile situation. I doubt there are many of us who can not say we had a drunken squabble with out gf/fiance/wife/lover/etc and said and done some pretty regrettable things.

pbmax
08-28-2014, 03:29 PM
While I somewhat agree with you in your assessment of Rice, you have to know there are some pretty big caveats in there. It wasn't just anyone manipulating him, it was his fiance. She was nearly blackout drunk, and so was he. That makes it a very volatile situation. I doubt there are many of us who can not say we had a drunken squabble with out gf/fiance/wife/lover/etc and said and done some pretty regrettable things.

Of course. But the more you lean on the blackout/gambling/spending side of the problems with the fiancé, the less well Rice comes off. The question becomes when did he exercise worse judgement, hitting her or getting involved with her? So its a caveat that cuts the same way. He (and she) is an idiot.

But the NFL doesn't have the job of fixing Rice's choice of girlfriends. It needs a punishment that hurts more than 2 paychecks. His reported remorse does nothing to explain his unsound judgement.

I am actually more amenable to the idea that Gordon deserved the year because of multiple mis-steps (even if those mis-steps were more about a low threshold than an uncontrollable habit). Perhaps that is correct. But Rice deserves more precisely because this is who he chooses to spend time with. He's not recreational user of wedding buffets and she isn't some random drunk with alcohol-fueled courage.

Cheesehead Craig
08-28-2014, 03:33 PM
NFL now changes it's domestic violence policy

Goodell puts 6 game suspension on 1st offense, lifetime on 2nd (http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11425377/nfl-implements-domestic-violence-penalties)

QBME
08-28-2014, 03:47 PM
NFL now changes it's domestic violence policy

Goodell puts 6 game suspension on 1st offense, lifetime on 2nd (http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11425377/nfl-implements-domestic-violence-penalties)

This is probably going to become known as the "Ray Rice Rule". How would you like that sort of legacy?

Guiness
08-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Of course. But the more you lean on the blackout/gambling/spending side of the problems with the fiancé, the less well Rice comes off. The question becomes when did he exercise worse judgement, hitting her or getting involved with her? So its a caveat that cuts the same way. He (and she) is an idiot.

But the NFL doesn't have the job of fixing Rice's choice of girlfriends. It needs a punishment that hurts more than 2 paychecks. His reported remorse does nothing to explain his unsound judgement.

I am actually more amenable to the idea that Gordon deserved the year because of multiple mis-steps (even if those mis-steps were more about a low threshold than an uncontrollable habit). Perhaps that is correct. But Rice deserves more precisely because this is who he chooses to spend time with. He's not recreational user of wedding buffets and she isn't some random drunk with alcohol-fueled courage.

Does he come off worse? I guess he does, but you're right that it's for bad judgement, not necessarily spousal abuse. I just can't shake the vision of something you posted when this came out

Sounds like a Buster Keaton movie. Door opens, he is punching her. Door closes/opens again, she is punching him. Close/Open, she drags him out. Close/Open, he runs back in, then drags her out.

smuggler
08-28-2014, 05:26 PM
I mean, he obviously hit her hard. I wasn't trying to say she was faking it. His story is he popped her once in retaliation and she never lost consciousness. She obviously didn't like it and wanted to make a stink so he'd get arrested. Again, this story is three degrees removed from someone that stands to gain by lying in the first place, but after hearing it, and then watching the video again, I see it.

I don't buy the angle that women are so weak they can't possibly hurt a man, but if a mighty man lays a finger on a woman, he's the devil. (Free Stephen A. Smith lol) Physical violence that is without justification is wrong, but I don't see him as being psychologically abusive to her, which is the lasting legacy of perpetuated domestic violence.

Neither of them had a good reason to hit the other, ergo they are both wrong. It's just that one of them is famous.

pbmax
08-28-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't buy the idea that woman cannot do harm or be the aggressor either.

However, if that is the case, given the dispute about money, gambling and drinking, why is he still there?

And while we can't know everything, regardless of her attributes, she is the one on the ground when the punching stopped. When you are in a situation with a woman where that is what it takes to end an argument, its time to go away.

smuggler
08-28-2014, 06:43 PM
No argument there. He won the stupid championship.

pbmax
08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
I am officially enjoying the Johnny Manziel era. If he was on the Packers, it would be more of a mixed bag, though there would be no QB controversy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0_aBMgBo_k&feature=youtu.be

pbmax
08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
In suspension related development, Aldon Smith is gone for 9 games.

PFT thinks that by waiving his appeal, Smith may have negotiated a lesser punishment (though apparently the 49ers thought it would be less than 9) and the ability to work out and meet with the team while suspended.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/29/aldon-smiths-case-rockets-through-the-nfl-legal-system/

smuggler
08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Pretty lenient of the league to allow him to practice and attend meetings...

pbmax
08-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Pretty lenient of the league to allow him to practice and attend meetings...

Yeah its that kind of shifting, inconsistent rules that drives the players nuts. Its the one place football follows baseball with a largely unwritten rules governing the process.

Joemailman
08-31-2014, 02:37 PM
49ers' Ray McDonald arrested on domestic violence charges. Victim reportedly was his pregnant fiancee. Several other players were in attendance. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report--49ers-defensive-end-ray-mcdonald-arrested-for-domestic-abuse-151554178.html

Bretsky
08-31-2014, 07:31 PM
last year I would have noted that seattle and san fran were the two elite teams going into this year

I am scratching san fran; that team is chaos...complete chaos.....their coach hardly wants to be there and is feuding about a contract....they lost their best lb for much or all of the yr due to injury...aldon smith is now suspended, and now this

this team is a mess.

I now think the three teams who I can see going to the big show are seattle, green bay, and the saints
seattle would still seem to be the favorite imo but the other two would not surprise me since repeats are such a rarity

Joemailman
08-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Chiefs sign Alex Smith to a 4 year 68 million dollar extension with guarantees of 45 million. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386546/article/alex-smith-chiefs-sign-fouryear-contract-extension

Has he passed Andy Dalton as the Most Overpaid QB?

Joemailman
09-01-2014, 03:29 PM
I've always felt Bucky Brooks at NFL.com was a terrible football analyst. He has now taken it to a new level:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386682/article/colts-saints-chargers-boast-nfls-top-quarterback-situations

Cutler could be the most talented quarterback in the league, but injuries have kept him from fulfilling his potential as a leader in Chicago. The vet has missed 13 starts over the past four seasons, and his absences have derailed the Bears' title hopes.

smuggler
09-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Most talented from the neck down, maybe. But Cutler was healthy at the end of the season, as was Rodgers. The Bears are just very flawed on the other side of the ball and have no depth behind their top 2 WRs.

Guiness
09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Chiefs sign Alex Smith to a 4 year 68 million dollar extension with guarantees of 45 million. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386546/article/alex-smith-chiefs-sign-fouryear-contract-extension

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/images/Python-sandals-with-bells.jpg

Freak Out
09-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Wow. I guess we shouldn't be surprised though.

Willard
09-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Raiders just announced rookie Derek Carr will start at QB over Matt Schaub in week1.

pbmax
09-02-2014, 04:04 PM
If I were a QB and the team hired Kyle Shanahan as its Offensive Coordinator, I would hold out until traded.

If Lindsay Jones is not confused and means what its supposed to mean, Johnny Manziel did not run the zone read at Texas A&M.

Browns prepared to deploy 'Johnny Package' for Manziel (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/09/02/cleveland-prepared-to-deploy-johnny-package/14977989/)

smuggler
09-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Welker suspended 4 games for amphetamine use. Typical.

Joemailman
09-02-2014, 08:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8wjDftejc

pbmax
09-02-2014, 09:35 PM

Its OK though. The speed was just used to cut his MDMA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/02/source-welker-took-molly-at-kentucky-derby/

pbmax
09-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Best Manziel Tweet ever?

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 25m
judgment issues? RT @rodger_sherman: Underrated really weird thing: Johnny Manziel committed to play for Mike Sherman

pbmax
09-03-2014, 08:47 AM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 29m
Less this dude, more @gregcosell, please RT @mikefreemanNFL: Hoge called Manziel "a juvenile punk."

Hoge has lots of opinions on QBs and I cannot recall many. I really want to see this come back and bite him in his ass.

KYPack
09-03-2014, 12:15 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 29m
Less this dude, more @gregcosell, please RT @mikefreemanNFL: Hoge called Manziel "a juvenile punk."

Hoge has lots of opinions on QBs and I cannot recall many. I really want to see this come back and bite him in his ass.

Merrill lives around here & I really like the guy, I've met him several times at golf outings and Krogers.

People on here are really on his ass and I think most of those people are stupid.

That said Hoge said in Brian Brohm's rookie year that Brohm would replace ARod as GBP QB.

He ain't infallible.

pbmax
09-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Merrill lives around here & I really like the guy, I've met him several times at golf outings and Krogers.

People on here are really on his ass and I think most of those people are stupid.

That said Hoge said in Brian Brohm's rookie year that Brohm would replace ARod as GBP QB.

He ain't infallible.

I want to say he is usually bellowing about the need for prototypical QB passers and has missed on some non-typical success stories. However, no examples other than Brohm are springing to mind.

Fritz
09-04-2014, 04:01 PM
How I long for the days when analysis, not entertainment, was most valued.

But when was that, anyway? I grew up watching Jimmy the Greek telling fans who and who not to bet on.

Good times, good times.

I actually liked Chris Collingsworth until he became a caricature of himself.

smuggler
09-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Revisiting the Ray Rice thing. Theres a video on TMZ. She slaps him once before they go in the elevator. He slaps her when they get inside. There on opposite sides of the elevator and she comes up on him and he either punches open or closed palm but it knocks her to the side and her head hits an elevator handrail and knocks her out. His story doesnt quite hold up to the facts, and obviously we don't know what was said, there it is.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Revisiting the Ray Rice thing. Theres a video on TMZ. She slaps him once before they go in the elevator. He slaps her when they get inside. There on opposite sides of the elevator and she comes up on him and he either punches open or closed palm but it knocks her to the side and her head hits an elevator handrail and knocks her out. His story doesnt quite hold up to the facts, and obviously we don't know what was said, there it is.

Actually, that is about how I envisioned it after the post we had that they both had been physical. I still think the punishment was light, but I would be surprised if it changes the suspension.

Twitter has the Ravens saying they (and the League) had been denied access to this video by the police, but that the version of the story Rice gave them was consistent with the new video.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
WHOOPS!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
NFL couldn't get video from prosecutor. NFL could have gotten video from Rice's lawyer, who has it. We reported this in August.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
Rice's lawyer had absolute right to video as part of discovery process in criminal prosecution.

If he is not projecting this theoretical possession, Florio has a great point. Which is another example of why its nice to have him around, even if he is a bonehead most other times.

Striker
09-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 47s
Big news from @mortreport: Ray Rice released. Finished with Baltimore.

He's gone.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Actually, that is about how I envisioned it after the post we had that they both had been physical. I still think the punishment was light, but I would be surprised if it changes the suspension.

Twitter has the Ravens saying they (and the League) had been denied access to this video by the police, but that the version of the story Rice gave them was consistent with the new video.

The idea it was mutual kinda falls apart when you watch the entire video.

Guiness
09-08-2014, 01:48 PM
The idea it was mutual kinda falls apart when you watch the entire video.

Does it? When I watch, this is what I see:
1. she walks by him and slaps him in the face
2. they get in elevator, he says something to her, and hits her, looks like in the face as well
3. he moves to other side of elevator
4. she runs at him, her head snaps around (can't see the blow, but he must've hit her) and she goes down

btw wow was she OUT. Not groggy, disorientated or anything, out cold.

smuggler
09-08-2014, 01:49 PM
She hits him before he even enters the elevator and then lunges at him grom across the elevator when theyre inside. He never moves toward her and only strikes her when she comes at him. He is definitely in the wrong, but she was part of it. Also, a good deal of the damage he inflicted was collateral - she strikes her head by coincidence when she falls.

Guiness
09-08-2014, 01:50 PM
dp

Guiness
09-08-2014, 01:53 PM
She hits him before he even enters the elevator and then lunges at him grom across the elevator when theyre inside. He never moves toward her and only strikes her when she comes at him. He is definitely in the wrong, but she was part of it. Also, a good deal of the damage he inflicted was collateral - she strikes her head by coincidence when she falls.

Watch when he comes into the elevator - he goes to her, looks like he gets in her face and yells at her, then slaps her in the side of the head or something. Then he moves to the other side of the elevator and she lunges. As far as collateral damage - he caused her to go down, so he's responsible for that too.

ThunderDan
09-08-2014, 02:02 PM

That is stupid. He fucking hit her in the head and made her head/body smash into the side of the elevator and then the floor.

smuggler
09-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Can you guys please explain to me why it is he's just supposed to dtand there and endure whatever it was she intended to do to him as hes cornered in a moving elevator? Keep in mind I already conceded his response was excessive.

ThunderDan
09-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I have personal experience in this area.

I was physically abused by my ex-wife. She would hit me, slap me, yell at me. You name it she did it. I always thought it would get better. She would promise that she would change.

Then one night she hit me again in our bedroom. I pinned her against our bed and had my arm cocked to hit her as hard as I could right in the mouth. I remember looking at my fist and saying to myself this is not who I am. I let go of my wife and slept downstairs on the couch. The next morning I removed all of my personal items and moved out of the house. I tried to get her to go to counseling. I had to have many long talks with my pastor before I filed for divorce.

To say Ray Rice had a reason to hit that woman is bullshit. He was in complete control of his actions and like Jay-Z could have deflected the attack and gotten out of the elevator.

smuggler
09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
That is stupid. He fucking hit her in the head and made her head/body smash into the side of the elevator and then the floor.

This is stupid. She got in the face of a professional athlete. What was she expecting, pillowtalk? Point is. They are both responsible.

ThunderDan
09-08-2014, 02:17 PM
This is stupid. She got in the face of a professional athlete. What was she expecting, pillowtalk? Point is. They are both responsible.

You are correct they both are responsible. That doesn't mean that Ray Rice should hit his now wife.

smuggler
09-08-2014, 02:18 PM
No shit ThunderDan. Its clear his response was wrong. The problem I have is that people seem to tjink his mistake erases her mistakes. Its dumb as shit and extremely annoying.

ThunderDan
09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
I have made no comments on her behavior. Her behavior was horrible. That doesn't mean she deserves to be hit and knocked out.

ThunderDan
09-08-2014, 02:23 PM
I have made no comments on her behavior. Her behavior was horrible. That doesn't mean she deserves to be hit and knocked out.

They should have both been arrested and sent to counseling. She could have/should have been arrested for battery or assault.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 02:37 PM
They should have both been arrested and sent to counseling. She could have/should have been arrested for battery or assault.

They were both detained overnight, not sure if arrested. Rice got a plea deal. I don't think she was charged but going strictly off memory.

Cheesehead Craig
09-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Rice will be back in the NFL. If Vick can come back so can Ray. He'll get a year off, and he and the NFLPA will work something out with the league and Ray will play for someone else next season.

Jimx29
09-08-2014, 04:03 PM
https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/509043216977371136

pbmax
09-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Does it? When I watch, this is what I see:
1. she walks by him and slaps him in the face
2. they get in elevator, he says something to her, and hits her, looks like in the face as well
3. he moves to other side of elevator
4. she runs at him, her head snaps around (can't see the blow, but he must've hit her) and she goes down

btw wow was she OUT. Not groggy, disorientated or anything, out cold.

He spit at her when she walked by in the hallway outside the elevator, that precipitated the slap and also put to lie to her being the aggressor.

And I think he might have done it again when they were close to the buttons in the elevator. But definitely the first time.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Also its possible that she was knocked out by the handrail and the medical report might clarify that. But she was going down hard after that hit regardless. She might have ben all but out on the way down.

Guiness
09-08-2014, 04:53 PM
He spit at her when she walked by in the hallway outside the elevator, that precipitated the slap and also put to lie to her being the aggressor.

And I think he might have done it again when they were close to the buttons in the elevator. But definitely the first time.

Ouch, didn't see that, but hadn't heard about it so wasn't looking. If he was the initial aggressor, it would change things a lot.

Obligatory 'magic loogie' video:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feqmemnOzeY

MadtownPacker
09-08-2014, 04:56 PM
He definitely took the "check a ho" option. These two are meant for each other and no one can stop true love. :lol:

smuggler
09-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Didn't know or see of any spitting either. That's a horse of a different color. Spitting here in Florida is both "fighting words" and assault.

Joemailman
09-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Packers should show Brad Jones that video.

smuggler
09-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Packers should just beat Brad Jones. His play is borderline abuse anyway.

Joemailman
09-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Colts Robert Mathis, who was serving a 4 game suspension, is our for season with a torn achilles. Now that's a guy having a bad season. http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/08/robert-mathis-torn-achilles-colts

Guiness
09-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Colts Robert Mathis, who was serving a 4 game suspension, is our for season with a torn achilles. Now that's a guy having a bad season. http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/08/robert-mathis-torn-achilles-colts

Ouch, wtf? Wow does that suck for him, and since he did it working out on his own, I assume it will be classified as an NFI.

Striker
09-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Giants looking as bad as they did in the preseason.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Did the NFL really need to see the video to understand what happened? Dragging a limp body out of the elevator wasn't enough?

I am not fan of the hypocrisy. But you hit the nail on the head with this portion. The fact that both of them said he hit her wasn't enough. They needed the video to become public before it became an offense too far.

And assuming the police had the video, why weren't charges pressed against either? Forget the plea deal.

pbmax
09-08-2014, 09:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/ravens-nfl-easily-could-have-gotten-ray-rice-video/

PFT earning its right to be wrong and dumb the rest of the year with this piece.

The Ravens fumbled the ball in the first instance. With $25 million invested in the player over two seasons and the entire organization wired to believe the version of the events shared by Rice and his wife, someone with a law degree should have said, “Video of what happened in the elevator exists, Ray’s lawyer in the criminal case surely has it, and we should insist that Ray produce it.”

Instead, the Ravens accepted at face value characterizes of what happened. Characterizations that ultimately were incorrect. Whispers emerged of extreme provocation from Janay Palmer Rice, culminating in the then-future Mrs. Rice spitting in Ray’s face. In the aftermath of the Rice punishment, weeks after the suspension had been resolved, one member of the Ravens organization privately advised caution when describing the contact from Ray to Janay as a punch.

Maybe that person meant to say that caution should be exercised when describing it only as a punch.

It’s no surprise that the Ravens bought Rice’s story. They wanted to believe him. They needed to believe him. And with Janay Palmer Rice apparently supporting his version of the events (in part by apologizing at a press conference for her role in the situation) and prosecutors allowing (inexplicably, in hindsight) Rice to enter a diversionary program, the Ravens opted to give Rice, otherwise a model citizen, the benefit of the doubt.

But that’s when someone with the education and experience and an understanding of the criminal justice system should have explained to the folks in the organization without those skills and abilities: (1) the importance of corroborating Rice’s version by watching the tape; and (2) the ease with which the tape could have been gotten.

Rice’s criminal defense lawyer had the tape. He was entitled to the tape as part of the discovery process in the criminal prosecution. Rice, by virtue of the fact that the lawyer works ultimately for Rice, needed only to direct the lawyer to forward the tape to Rice, so that he could in turn give it to the Ravens.

It possible that Rice or his lawyer would have resisted. And that’s where the Ravens had to be willing to say to Rice, “Ray, you’re not putting on a helmet until we see the tape.”

The NFL compounded the error by not engaging in a similar analysis. Undoubtedly influenced by the prosecution’s willingness to give Rice the rough equivalent of a pass and by the team’s convenient and self-serving acceptance of his version of the events, the NFL opted not to insist on seeing the tape.

How could the league office not have been curious about viewing a piece of video that was destined to be leaked? Assuming that such basic curiosity existed, how did the league not realize that, despite the lack of subpoena power or similar authority to obtain the tape, they needed to simply go to the man whose lawyer already had the tape?

Joemailman
09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Was watching CNN and they were discussing the Rice video. Must have shown that video 10 times or more during the discussion. As a society, we claim to be abhorred by what happened, but we sure love watching that shit. Meanwhile, the victim has had her privacy violated over and over and over. Tough luck for her. It's good for ratings.

Guiness
09-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Ouch, wtf? Wow does that suck for him, and since he did it working out on his own, I assume it will be classified as an NFI.

On another note, his claim is that he and his wife are trying to have a baby, and he took some fertility drugs, which is the cause of his suspension!

Guiness
09-09-2014, 09:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/ravens-nfl-easily-could-have-gotten-ray-rice-video/

PFT earning its right to be wrong and dumb the rest of the year with this piece.

I don't get how the video changed anything. He hit her, we've known that for a while. I'm not trying to be obtuse, but how does a video showing us what we already knew happened, and he admitted to, change anything? Was it any more violent, or reveal anything we didn't already know?

Maybe the NFL is reacting to the backlash from the fans and used it as an excuse to revisit the punishment?

pbmax
09-09-2014, 09:43 PM
I don't get how the video changed anything. He hit her, we've known that for a while. I'm not trying to be obtuse, but how does a video showing us what we already knew happened, and he admitted to, change anything? Was it any more violent, or reveal anything we didn't already know?

Maybe the NFL is reacting to the backlash from the fans and used it as an excuse to revisit the punishment?

There is hypocrisy at work, but the video removes any doubt one could conjure about what happened on the elevator. It also brings in nearly every demographic to the event because now the worst of the confrontation can be shown on TV rather than suspected or inferred.

But Florio's argument that I was interested in, was that the this video was clearly available at the time of the incident and the NFL and the Ravens did nothing to secure it. Or they are now lying and the suspension is because of publicity, not a closely held commitment to personal conduct.

Either way, they are incompetent and opportunistic.

And that doesn't even get to the issue of the police handling of this matter.

Rastak
09-09-2014, 09:58 PM
There is hypocrisy at work, but the video removes any doubt one could conjure about what happened on the elevator. It also brings in nearly every demographic to the event because now the worst of the confrontation can be shown on TV rather than suspected or inferred.

But Florio's argument that I was interested in, was that the this video was clearly available at the time of the incident and the NFL and the Ravens did nothing to secure it. Or they are now lying and the suspension is because of publicity, not a closely held commitment to personal conduct.

Either way, they are incompetent and opportunistic.

And that doesn't even get to the issue of the police handling of this matter.

If I understand your position PB I completely agree.

This was a criminal investigation. Law enforcement obviously obtained the tapes. As part of due process the defense attorney would have gotten the tapes. TMZ got a cell phone recording of the ass end of one of the tapes, not the original if I recall.

My points as follows....

1) Why would law enforcement share video with a private company during a criminal investigation....they wouldn't.
2) Could the NFL force the defense attorney to cough up the video during a criminal investigation through intimidation? I don't know, but I'd fight that tooth and nail under the simple concept of this is a criminal investigation, anything you get will be when this is resolved.
3) If the video was so easily available why didn't TMZ have the whole tape as surely they would have killed for that on their site. Answer: They had to settle for some security gaurds leaked video of the video.
4) Why not ask the casino for the video? Why in the fuck would they be anxious to hand that out to a private company. It makes their casino look bad and wouldn't law enforcement ask them to keep this under wraps during the investigation? If all you had to do was ask wouldn't TMZ have had that plastered all over immediately after asking the second they realized who did what?

pbmax
09-09-2014, 11:03 PM
1. The NFL has on its security roster former FBI, DEA and Homeland Security officials. For years the League has hired ex-FBI to run its security business. They regularly get to look at police reports. By and large, police reports are made public shortly after they are submitted. And this situation is no different. Even the League acknowledges they asked for everything the State Police had but are claiming that the elevator interior video was not turned over. By inference, that means they had all the other material. *

2. Conversation the League has with Rice's attorney/agent: You know, this would go much faster if we had access to ALL the video. Otherwise Ray could be suspended indefinitely until we get to the bottom of this. Can they force him? Nope. But a few million dollars is a lot of leverage.

3. TMZ may not have had the video but here is a list of people who got reports about the content of the video early this summer which, in this case, turned out to be accurate: Chris Mortenson, Peter King, Jane McManus (ESPN), and Adam Schefter. These reports were sourced to the League. The AP today got a longer and higher quality copy of the tapes. A significant number of people, including some eyewitnesses to the argument and aftermath, were privy to details.

4. I don't know why they didn't ask the casino. TMZ has a guy saying the NFL did send people to view it which is the simplest explanation for all subsequent events, but that report lacks detail. I can see the NFL wanting to stick to official sources.

If they want to stick to official sources, then my guess is that they were satisfied someone they trusted got a look at it and the defense attorney, Rice and Palmer agreed on the basic events. If this is indeed the case, then the NFL is incompetent because multiple copies existed of the video, they weren't in control of more copies being made, and they were basing their decision in part on 2nd hand viewing.

They miscalculated that the video was partially exculpatory or, at worst, showed both parties at fault, which was the message the Defense Attorney was sending. That is leaving a HUGE loose end if you are investigating this.

* The League has said in a statement they knew the video existed in the hands of the NJ State Police, which has been denied by the NJ State Police because they cover the only the space devoted to gambling for Atlantic City casinos. The Atlantic City Police would cover the rest of the building's interior.

Rastak
09-10-2014, 06:51 AM
1. The NFL has on its security roster former FBI, DEA and Homeland Security officials. For years the League has hired ex-FBI to run its security business. They regularly get to look at police reports. By and large, police reports are made public shortly after they are submitted. And this situation is no different. Even the League acknowledges they asked for everything the State Police had but are claiming that the elevator interior video was not turned over. By inference, that means they had all the other material. *

2. Conversation the League has with Rice's attorney/agent: You know, this would go much faster if we had access to ALL the video. Otherwise Ray could be suspended indefinitely until we get to the bottom of this. Can they force him? Nope. But a few million dollars is a lot of leverage.

3. TMZ may not have had the video but here is a list of people who got reports about the content of the video early this summer which, in this case, turned out to be accurate: Chris Mortenson, Peter King, Jane McManus (ESPN), and Adam Schefter. These reports were sourced to the League. The AP today got a longer and higher quality copy of the tapes. A significant number of people, including some eyewitnesses to the argument and aftermath, were privy to details.

4. I don't know why they didn't ask the casino. TMZ has a guy saying the NFL did send people to view it which is the simplest explanation for all subsequent events, but that report lacks detail. I can see the NFL wanting to stick to official sources.

If they want to stick to official sources, then my guess is that they were satisfied someone they trusted got a look at it and the defense attorney, Rice and Palmer agreed on the basic events. If this is indeed the case, then the NFL is incompetent because multiple copies existed of the video, they weren't in control of more copies being made, and they were basing their decision in part on 2nd hand viewing.

They miscalculated that the video was partially exculpatory or, at worst, showed both parties at fault, which was the message the Defense Attorney was sending. That is leaving a HUGE loose end if you are investigating this.

* The League has said in a statement they knew the video existed in the hands of the NJ State Police, which has been denied by the NJ State Police because they cover the only the space devoted to gambling for Atlantic City casinos. The Atlantic City Police would cover the rest of the building's interior.

I agree that was a huge loose end. I think maybe waiting until the ;egal process was over would have been the route to go...(maybe they did, I don't have the timeline in front of me). Once the DA cut a deal there would have been no reason for the defense attorney to withhold it any longer. Then he could have applied all the screws to get that tape and know one way or another.

One other thing, the first leaked video of the tape was public so the NFL didn;t need law ebforcement to turn it over. Thus, I'm not sure what they got from the police.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Much speculation, accusations, etc, I favor Occam's razor, everybody involved said or did things to maximize profit or minimize losses/careers.

Cheesehead Craig
09-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Could this be the end of the Goodell era?

I don't buy at all that the League didn't know about the video until the day TMZ showed it. They hoped that they could skate by with some nominal punishment and that the public would simply forget about it like most other news stories. It's biting them in the ass now.

Guiness
09-10-2014, 08:37 AM

I don't buy at all that the League didn't know about the video until the day TMZ showed it. They hoped that they could skate by with some nominal punishment and that the public would simply forget about it like most other news stories. It's biting them in the ass now.

The end of the Goodell era? A simple event like this, that in the long run will cost the league no money? After Goodell has presided over an era of unprecedented profits and been part of a negotiation with the players that resulted in a CBA heavily in favour of the owners?

Not a chance in hell.

smuggler
09-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Gotta agree with Guiness on this one. One goof won't cost him his job.

Cheesehead Craig
09-10-2014, 09:27 AM
It's being speculated on that's for sure. Never underestimate the power of the media though.

pbmax
09-10-2014, 09:50 AM

He's not going anywhere, I don't think.

They also aren't claiming they didn't know about the video. They are claiming they didn't see it.

KYPack
09-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Goodell stays.

That said, the NFL needs to improve it's PR. A Pete Rozelle led NFL would've suspended Ray Rice for a year (indefinitely) so fast it wudda made your head spin.

Not for the morality of the issue, for the possible exposure to negative PR the incident might generate.

Goodell just isn't wired that way and cleans up his issues on the back side of 'em. He needs to get out that mode and get ahead of the problems before they mushroom on him like this thing did.

Dollar wise, the guy is incredible and that's all the owners care about.

Guiness
09-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Not that the media isn't trying like hell to make a story where there is none. Couple of articles about it on PFT's front page. Sportsline is carrying something about it. Dan Patrick thinks he should be suspended to 'show accountability'.

Am I missing something? What did he do wrong, except bobbling this a bit but rectifying it before it mattered? If Rice had served the 2 game suspension, come back and played a few, then been re-suspended, that would've been different, but it was changed before any of that happened. 2 weeks before that happened.

smuggler
09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
rodger goodell is about as culpable for any of this as jason whitlock or the governor of new jersey. People are just out for blood. The irony is astounding.

Striker
09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
I think a lot of it is just the general discontent anyone not the owners has towards Goodell. Despite the profits, he's probably one of the more unpopular league commissioners in recent history.

pbmax
09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Not that the media isn't trying like hell to make a story where there is none. Couple of articles about it on PFT's front page. Sportsline is carrying something about it. Dan Patrick thinks he should be suspended to 'show accountability'.

Am I missing something? What did he do wrong, except bobbling this a bit but rectifying it before it mattered? If Rice had served the 2 game suspension, come back and played a few, then been re-suspended, that would've been different, but it was changed before any of that happened. 2 weeks before that happened.

rodger goodell is about as culpable for any of this as jason whitlock or the governor of new jersey. People are just out for blood. The irony is astounding.

I am not in the fire Roger chorus (not for this anyway) however, he does have some blame in this area if not this incident.

He has constructed a system of procedures and policies with no meaningful checks and balances when it comes to Player Conduct. It is inconsistent and a virtual closed loop. Its produces neither certainty nor any degree of trust that it was complete. Its seems mostly arbitrary. Even of-field conduct gets reviewed by arbitrators chosen jointly by the League and the Players. Player Conduct is reviewed by the prosecuting attorney, who is also the judge.

Take for instance, the current stance on McDonald for the 49ers. They are waiting for the court case. But in other circumstances, he has acted prior (see Aldon Smith or Rothliesberger). Does anyone know how that decision is made? It doesn't seem consistent from case to case.

Now in the Rice situation, we know the NFL is willing to act when it is not in possession of all available information. But its investigation not only was incomplete, it had ended. And there has been no explanation how such an oversight occurred except that they stopped asking.

He has made himself a one man gang on this issue, and is mucking it up. That is not effective administration.

Rutnstrut
09-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I wonder if the Ravens would have come down as hard on Ray Lewis had this happened to him when he was playing? Oh wait they wouldn't have, the thug was untouchable.

pbmax
09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 42s
The #Rams are expected to place DE Chris Log on IR/Designated to return following ankle surgery, source says. Out 2 months

Guiness
09-10-2014, 03:21 PM
The #Rams are expected to place DE Chris Log on IR/Designated to return following ankle surgery, source says. Out 2 months

That injury looked awful.

I wonder how close Sam was to making the team? Any possibility of signing him from Dallas' PS, or are they glad to be rid of him?

denverYooper
09-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Damn. The Rams are snakebit too.

smuggler
09-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I think part of the reason Goodell has waited to act in the McDonald case is that 1.) McDonald was still locked up when last I checked and 2.) the Ray Rice situation really had to be resolved first.

I just can't stand the hypocrisy of people like Terry Whatsherface of the National Organization of Women saying, after the new video leak, that Goodell should resign. But meanwhile, she - acting as the representative of NOW, failed to publicly comdemn Goodell until AFTER SHE SAW THE VIDEO.

So, should she resign, too, then? If her most recent public statements are indeed the correct course of action for someone in her position, it seems she failed in her role by not making them when this story first broke months ago. That's by her own standard.

pbmax
09-10-2014, 04:28 PM
I think part of the reason Goodell has waited to act in the McDonald case is that 1.) McDonald was still locked up when last I checked and 2.) the Ray Rice situation really had to be resolved first.

I just can't stand the hypocrisy of people like Terry Whatsherface of the National Organization of Women saying, after the new video leak, that Goodell should resign. But meanwhile, she - acting as the representative of NOW, failed to publicly comdemn Goodell until AFTER SHE SAW THE VIDEO.

So, should she resign, too, then? If her most recent public statements are indeed the correct course of action for someone in her position, it seems she failed in her role by not making them when this story first broke months ago. That's by her own standard.

I think the working theory there is that the League had reps who looked at the video and, given the leaks about it well before its release, that he would have been briefed on it.

Better question that never gets answered: Did they know they DIDN'T want to see it or was it some kind of general see no evil stance (why go looking for trouble)?

Rastak
09-10-2014, 05:47 PM
The latest is that law enforcement sent the NFL the evidence in April including all the video. They better not have. Can you imagine, you get arrested for battery and you're employer calls the police and says "could you shoot me a copy of the evidence you have against our guy" and they fucking do it?

Joemailman
09-10-2014, 06:21 PM
The latest is that law enforcement sent the NFL the evidence in April including all the video. They better not have. Can you imagine, you get arrested for battery and you're employer calls the police and says "could you shoot me a copy of the evidence you have against our guy" and they fucking do it?

The official claiming to have sent the video is not releasing his name, so if it happened it likely was not an approved action. Not sure what the NFL would do if they received the video under those circumstances.

pbmax
09-10-2014, 06:32 PM
James Harrison ✔ @jharrison9292
Follow
@nflcommish ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun huh?

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Roger hasn't been heard from in so long he's on milk cartons wondering where he is. Anybody still think he's going to keep his job?

Maxie the Taxi
09-18-2014, 07:38 AM
I heard they moved Goodell's desk to Dick Cheney's old "secure undisclosed location."

MadScientist
09-18-2014, 09:23 AM
He was safe until sponsors got upset. Piss off various activists, no problem. Piss off Budweiser, big problem.

Goodell may make it to the end of the investigation so they can clear house of him plus whoever saw the Rice video at once, instead of taking the publicity hit twice.

hoosier
09-18-2014, 09:40 AM
He was safe until sponsors got upset. Piss off various activists, no problem. Piss off Budweiser, big problem.

Goodell may make it to the end of the investigation so they can clear house of him plus whoever saw the Rice video at once, instead of taking the publicity hit twice.

True but it's not completely one-sided. The sponsors are acting because they're afraid their own images will get tarnished. Or, more concretely, out of fear that if a group of activists decided to mount a boycott in response to the scandal de jour, the sponsor might become one of its targets. (Much easier to boycott Budweiser or Marriott than the Vikings, especially in a year when the team's won-loss record is already causing fans to think about abandoning ship!)

Fritz
09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
It's all about shaking your money maker. If ever anyone wonders what might be the reason the league acts as it does, the answer is that it's about protecting the brand.

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2014, 01:31 PM
It's all about shaking your money maker.

Come on Fritz, shake that money maker!

http://alfa.gifs-planet.com/new/3723.gif

Striker
09-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Vikings add another former Packer.

Vikings add Charles Johnson to fill Adrian Peterson’s roster spot
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 20, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT

The Vikings have added a player to the roster to fill the spot vacated by putting Adrian Peterson on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list that most people had never heard of until this crazy week in the NFL.

That player is receiver Charles Johnson, who was signed off the Browns’ practice squad.

Johnson was initially a seventh-round pick of the Packers last year and didn’t make Green Bay’s 53-man roster but did make the practice squad. The Browns then signed Johnson away from the Packers’ practice squad and put him on the active roster, although he didn’t play in any regular-season games.

Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner was the Browns’ offensive coordinator last year, so Johnson arrives already knowing Turner’s offense.

VegasPackFan
09-20-2014, 03:47 PM
ESPN has a very good story up on the whole Ray Rice case and video. Pretty damning. There is a section in the story where they lay out how the "independent" investigation appears to be anything but. All these guys are connected. What a joke.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11551518/how-ray-rice-scandal-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl

VegasPackFan
09-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Just noticed it was already linked in the Rice thread. Sorry.

Joemailman
09-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Matt Cassel out for the year. Bridgewater to start. I haven't seen him play. Is he a read-option guy?

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Matt Cassel out for the year. Bridgewater to start. I haven't seen him play. Is he a read-option guy?

No. He's mobile, but more like a Russel Wilson type for mobility. Will move to throw. More of a pocket passer from what I've heard/seen.

Guiness
09-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Scott Wells finds another way to miss some time - a tick bite!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/30/tick-bite-sent-rams-center-scott-wells-to-icu/

George Cumby
09-30-2014, 09:33 AM
No. He's mobile, but more like a Russel Wilson type for mobility. Will move to throw. More of a pocket passer from what I've heard/seen.

So the D is in for a rough time on Thursday, eh?

Fritz
09-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Yes, I think so. I predict a game in which the Packers go off the field at halftime, behind the Vikings, with the fans booing lustily.

I just get that sense. Why Fat Mike can't seem to get his teams really ready is something I'm puzzled by.

Tyrion Lannister
10-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Career underachiever Jayrone Elliot is on an NFL roster but not overachiever Michael Sam?
:x

Guiness
10-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Career underachiever Jayrone Elliot is on an NFL roster but not overachiever Michael Sam?
:x

Ok...

Not sure how a UDFA that clawed his way onto the team is an underachiever. Sam? No one seems to bring up the gay thing much any more, and when all was said and done he doesn't seem to have caused much in the way of problems in St-Louis, he just doesn't seem to be drawing any interest.

Tyrion Lannister
10-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Ok...

Not sure how a UDFA that clawed his way onto the team is an underachiever. Sam? No one seems to bring up the gay thing much any more, and when all was said and done he doesn't seem to have caused much in the way of problems in St-Louis, he just doesn't seem to be drawing any interest.

According to a JSO article, Elliot didn't take things seriously until his senior year in college. Seems like an underachiever to me.

I honestly believe that if Sam had stayed in the closet, he would be on an NFL roster right now. He was SEC DOY and showed plenty of potentials in the pre-season.

A guy like Elliot had 3 sacks in a game against a backup tackle and he made the team. Well, Sam had multiple sacks in the preseason, too.

smuggler
10-24-2014, 12:27 AM
I don't think so Re:Sam... He lacks ideal size, underperformed at the combine. Compare to Jackson Jeffcoat. Jeffcoat was arguably better in college and did better at the combine with more preferrable size. Sam is a classic case of a fringe talent that would need to rely on incredible technique to survive in the league, but has no viable way of acquiring it due to the climate of the league (roster sizes, no d-league).

pbmax
10-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Tyler Dunne @TyDunne · 16h 16 hours ago
Change in tune RT @RichCimini Ryan on Calvin Pryor: "He hasn't had the impact necessarily that all of us expected." http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/45073/rex-ryan-says-calvin-pryor-hasnt-had-the-impact-they-expected … …

Possibly another win for Ted by staying put.

Guiness
10-24-2014, 10:53 AM
According to a JSO article, Elliot didn't take things seriously until his senior year in college. Seems like an underachiever to me.

I honestly believe that if Sam had stayed in the closet, he would be on an NFL roster right now. He was SEC DOY and showed plenty of potentials in the pre-season.

A guy like Elliot had 3 sacks in a game against a backup tackle and he made the team. Well, Sam had multiple sacks in the preseason, too.

Colledge awards and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Some guys don't translate well to the NFL, and he seems to be one of them. Do you really think St-Louis and Dallas both cut him despite the fact he could contribute.

ThunderDan
10-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Sam reminds me of Jamal Reynolds.

esoxx
10-24-2014, 12:51 PM

I didn't know Reynolds was gay. :cnf:

George Cumby
10-24-2014, 05:08 PM
I didn't know Reynolds was gay. :cnf:

im looking at this low hanging fruit and I think I'll pass.........

Tyrion Lannister
10-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I don't think so Re:Sam... He lacks ideal size, underperformed at the combine. Compare to Jackson Jeffcoat. Jeffcoat was arguably better in college and did better at the combine with more preferrable size. Sam is a classic case of a fringe talent that would need to rely on incredible technique to survive in the league, but has no viable way of acquiring it due to the climate of the league (roster sizes, no d-league).

Sam was the most scrutinized 7th rounder ever in TC, and he performed. It's not like he looked lost and played like shit, ala Ricky Elmore. Sam posses the skills to be an NFL player.

Tyrion Lannister
10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Colledge awards and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Some guys don't translate well to the NFL, and he seems to be one of them. Do you really think St-Louis and Dallas both cut him despite the fact he could contribute.

St. Louis supposedly had too many good defensive lineman on their team. Well, they're dead last in the league in sacks with 4. Not saying sacks are everything; Dallas only has 6 and they're 6-1. But the Rams defensive line play has been very fucking inconsistent. They could've used Sam.

As for Dallas, I hope the football gods punish them for releasing Sam.

smuggler
10-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Sam never did anyhing against starters, man. That said, I will settle for any excuse for the Cowboys to be punished. :)

Fritz
10-25-2014, 08:54 AM

You know, this seems to me a good comparison. Very good college players who were very light and used speed, but couldn't really play in the NFL.

I wonder what Jamaal Reynolds is doing these days. Selling insurance, maybe, in a partnership he has with Justin Harrell?

denverYooper
10-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Seattle coming apart at the seams...

@mortreport: SEA has grown tired of Marshawn Lynch's act and will part ways with him after season...

George Cumby
10-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Seattle coming apart at the seams...

@mortreport: SEA has grown tired of Marshawn Lynch's act and will part ways with him after season...

Hahahahahhahahhaha!

Fritz
10-26-2014, 10:06 AM
What is Marshawn Lynch's "act"?

Stand-up? Dramatic monologues?

pbmax
10-26-2014, 11:08 AM
What is Marshawn Lynch's "act"?

Stand-up? Dramatic monologues?

He does reproductions of Jackson Pollack with Skittles.

smuggler
10-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Bears have grown tired of Jay Cutler's act and will part ways with him at halftime.

George Cumby
10-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Bears have grown tired of Jay Cutler's act and will part ways with him at halftime.

Bears fans are going to be homicidal after this debacle.

Patler
10-26-2014, 02:08 PM
I wonder what Jamaal Reynolds is doing these days. Selling insurance, maybe, in a partnership he has with Justin Harrell?

Here's your answer:

Reynolds lives in Tallahassee. He owns a rental properties firm and also purchases foreclosed properties to refurbish and sell them.

"It's fun to see a place torn down and then fix it up," Reynolds said. "You have to have a vision for it. I'm the vision guy. I enjoy the demolition work and do some myself. I get to relieve a little stress now that I don't play football."

George Cumby
10-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Demolition Man!

Zool
10-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Bears hope to motivate Cutler with more guaranteed money (http://www.theonion.com/articles/bears-gm-hoping-to-motivate-jay-cutler-with-more-g,37314/)

Joemailman
10-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Demolition Man!

Too bad we never called him that when he was a Packer.

gbgary
11-05-2014, 06:44 PM
watched the "a football life" on ricky williams last night. for as goofy as i remember him, with all his troubles and all, he surprisingly had a great career stats wise. 10,000 yard club.

Tyrion Lannister
11-06-2014, 05:36 AM
watched the "a football life" on ricky williams last night. for as goofy as i remember him, with all his troubles and all, he surprisingly had a great career stats wise. 10,000 yard club.

Yea, Ricky was a little goofy, but troubles? All Ricky did was smoke a little Mary Jane. Alas, I don't smoke weed like I used to in my hippie youth, as I don't wanna burn off all my sperms and not be able to plant my awesome seed(s) in some hot chick, hopefully Jenifer Lawrence, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with smoking Mary Jane. :smk:

Patler
11-06-2014, 09:19 AM

Even more impressive when you consider that he sat out three seasons right in the middle of his career.

mraynrand
11-06-2014, 01:14 PM
...hopefully Jenifer Lawrence...

She does have a certain mystique about her, but as to your chances with her: Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!

Fritz
11-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Even more impressive when you consider that he sat out three seasons right in the middle of his career.

And more impressive yet when you realize the dude was a stoner!

Tyrion Lannister
11-06-2014, 06:07 PM
She does have a certain mystique about her, but as to your chances with her: Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!

lol. My band, The Dopes, has got to catch a break sometimes. Once Coldplay breaks up (hopefully not too soon), we'll become the next Coldplay. I read somewhere that the beauteous Jennifer loves Coldplay. :)

Joemailman
11-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Manziel involved in scuffle/ huge brawl depending on who you want to believe on Friday night. Sounds like his bodyguard punched out a guy who approached Manziel.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000433786/article/manziel-entourage-allegedly-involved-in-incident

Guiness
11-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Manziel involved in scuffle/ huge brawl depending on who you want to believe on Friday night. Sounds like his bodyguard punched out a guy who approached Manziel.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000433786/article/manziel-entourage-allegedly-involved-in-incident

It might be just a case of his bodyguards doing their job...if maybe getting a little over-zealous. Dude approaches Manziel wanting a hug - ya, I don't think so. Of course, if they were competent, they wouldn't have to resort to throwing punches. It was also 2:30am, so maybe not the best judgement being out at that time.

Joemailman
11-24-2014, 06:01 PM
It might be just a case of his bodyguards doing their job...if maybe getting a little over-zealous. Dude approaches Manziel wanting a hug - ya, I don't think so. Of course, if they were competent, they wouldn't have to resort to throwing punches. It was also 2:30am, so maybe not the best judgement being out at that time.

I wonder if it was the Factory Of Sadness guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 08:04 PM

sound and fury. Was at his apt. Plus Manzier is a backup...

Guiness
11-24-2014, 08:23 PM
sound and fury. Was at his apt. Plus Manzier is a backup...

Now he (or his agent, or PR guy, or whoever) is saying it wasn't a bodyguard/member of his entourage that got into the altercation, but a 'roomate'. He has a roomate?

Tyrion Lannister
11-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Now he (or his agent, or PR guy, or whoever) is saying it wasn't a bodyguard/member of his entourage that got into the altercation, but a 'roomate'. He has a roomate?

A-Rod_12 once had a nonfootball roommate, too. Just saying.

Nobody likes to go out partying alone. Picking up chicks (or guys) is easier when you have a wingman.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 10:57 PM
A-Rod_12 once had a nonfootball roommate, too. Just saying.

Nobody likes to go out partying alone. Picking up chicks (or guys) is easier when you have a wingman.

JF already has a special other. Saw her at a steakhouse with Manzier in June. Sort of a good looking version of Jenifer Lawrence.

Tyrion Lannister
11-24-2014, 11:10 PM
JF already has a special other. Saw her at a steakhouse with Manzier in June. Sort of a good looking version of Jenifer Lawrence.

Damn, I was hoping Johnny Football was homosexual. lol

Btw, nobody looks better than Jenifer Lawrence. She's an 11 on a 1-10 scale. Once I find a hot chick to go with me, I'm gonna go see The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1.

mraynrand
11-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Once I find a hot chick to go with me, I'm gonna go see The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1.

by that time, at least, it will have already had it's run on TNT and late night public television. :wink:

Tyrion Lannister
11-25-2014, 04:32 AM
by that time, at least, it will have already had it's run on TNT and late night public television. :wink:

Believe it or not, I've actually gone on a date with a hot chick before. She wasn't cheap, but I did hit a home run that night. :-o

mraynrand
11-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Believe it or not, I've actually gone on a date with a hot chick before. She wasn't cheap, but I did hit a home run that night. :-o

arcade games don't count

Zool
11-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Dad still didn't cancel that credit card? Also I didn't realize prostitutes accept Visa?

denverYooper
11-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Dad still didn't cancel that credit card? Also I didn't realize prostitutes accept Visa?

It's amazing what phones can do now.