PDA

View Full Version : Kaepernick Gets Contract Extension

pbmax
06-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m
Colin Kaeprnick's 6-year deal is worth $110+ million, per sources. Heavy guarantees, too. Record guarantees.

pbmax
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m
For #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick: It’s a 6-year extension worth up to $126M with $60M guaranteed, source says. Under contract through 2020

The #49ers have agreed to terms on a 6-year mega-extension with star QB Colin Kaepernick that could eclipse $20M per year, source says.

Guiness
06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Now just wait for the other shoe to drop - in the form of mid-level vets getting cut.

SF and Seattle had a window to win opened by having successful QBs on their rookie contract. That just closed for the 49ers. Not saying they won't continue to be a winning team, but they just lost a heck of an advantage.

Brandon494
06-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Russell Wilson is somewhere rubbing his hands after seeing this...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me9pu71FSK1qjjr39o1_500.gif

RashanGary
06-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Aaron Rodgers > Russell Wilson > Colin Kaepernick

Wilson is going to be expensive.

denverYooper
06-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Russell Wilson is somewhere rubbing his hands after seeing this...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me9pu71FSK1qjjr39o1_500.gif

Is that a formica table?

Guiness
06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Aaron Rodgers > Russell Wilson > Colin Kaepernick

Wilson is going to be expensive.

This will be year 3 of his 4yr rookie contract, so it can be renegotiated after the coming season.

Guiness
06-04-2014, 04:15 PM
And we don't even need to discuss '$60M guaranteed'. Means nothing without the oh-so-important words surrounding 'guaranteed' that will eventually be fleshed out.

Tony Oday
06-04-2014, 04:18 PM
WOW overpaid

Zool
06-04-2014, 04:21 PM
You're welcome.

--Entire Green Bay defense

Brandon494
06-04-2014, 04:22 PM
WOW overpaid

Honestly no Packers fan has the right to say that the way he has beaten our ass.

mraynrand
06-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Honestly no Packers fan has the right to say that the way he has beaten our ass.

Sure we do, because we watched him play other teams and not always do so well. Still, the guy is really young and (unfortunately) will probably improve. Top 5-10 QBs get loads of cash.

mraynrand
06-04-2014, 06:06 PM
dp

Joemailman
06-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Maybe the big money will make him get a big head and his hat will fit.

http://distinctathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Colin-Kaepernick-49ers-3.jpg

pbmax
06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Forget the hat. Forget the biceps and forget the tats. A ****ing quill?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpUMaCwCMAAr5WU.jpg:large

Is that a ball point pen masquerading as a quill?

mraynrand
06-04-2014, 08:43 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpUMaCwCMAAr5WU.jpg:large

That's just so he doesn't take the pen with him. Gotta cut down on costs...

red
06-04-2014, 08:59 PM
told you guys months ago that he and russell would get this kind of money

these a joe flacco/eli manning types of QB's. they are starting QB's on teams that are stacked with other talent

the 49ers and soon the seahawks will both be worse teams because they have/will overpaid their average-ish starting QB's

Bossman641
06-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Somebody dig up the thread from a few months back where we were all predicting his next deal.

Guiness
06-04-2014, 09:37 PM

49ers gave most of their draft choices a quill to sign with this year. When I saw the first one, thought he did it on his own and it was neat, but if the team is doing it with all the signings, it will grow old quickly. I also don't see an inkwell there, so I assume they just busted open a Bic pen, and jammed the innards into a feather.

Joemailman
06-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Somebody dig up the thread from a few months back where we were all predicting his next deal.

Done.

Bretsky
06-04-2014, 10:52 PM

these a joe flacco/eli manning types of QB's. they are starting QB's on teams that are stacked with other talent

the 49ers and soon the seahawks will both be worse teams because they have/will overpaid their average-ish starting QB's

Didn't you just note your IQ was high ? Now you refer to Russeel Wilson as average ?

And it's hard for me to call Kap average until he stops making us his bitches....and even then...if you are the GM it'd be dam tough to make the call to let him go.

To me, Alex Smith...that is the difficult one. Teams need to pay Kapernick and Wilson

pbmax
06-04-2014, 11:04 PM
I consider him a new age Paul Justin.

pbmax
06-04-2014, 11:07 PM

red, PFT has a list of questions to determine how much money is real and how much is fluff. Not a bad read.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/04/lots-of-fluff-likely-in-kaepernick-deal/

Liked the part about how to treat injury only guarantees.

Brandon494
06-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Didn't you just note your IQ was high ? Now you refer to Russeel Wilson as average ?

And it's hard for me to call Kap average until he stops making us his bitches....and even then...if you are the GM it'd be dam tough to make the call to let him go.

To me, Alex Smith...that is the difficult one. Teams need to pay Kapernick and Wilson

Apparently any QB not named Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees is average.

gbgary
06-05-2014, 12:23 AM
PFT calls it a below-market-value, year-to-year deal and only 13m, and change, is fully guaranteed.

Striker
06-05-2014, 12:33 AM
The San Francisco 49ers agreed to a contract extension with Colin Kaepernick early Wednesday afternoon, and details are slowly starting to come out. Initially the deal was reported to include $61 million in guaranteed money. Adam Schefter is now reporting the deal includes a signing bonus of "only" $12 million. Normally, signing bonuses for big quarterback deals are a lot bigger. It will be interesting to now see what kind of other guarantees his deal includes, and when exactly some of these guarantees actually kick in.

Given that this deal is an extension, it would seem that the $12 million prorationg ($2.4 million per year) is the only addition to this year's cap figure. Kap was looking at a $1.6 million cap hit because of $973,766 in base salary, $556,691 in prorated bonus money, and $100,000 in workout bonus. Add in the $2.4 million and he is potentially looking at a 2014 cap figure of $4,030,457.

Fooch's Update: Jason LaCanfora tweeted out that the deal lowers his 2014 base salary to $645,000, and adds a $100,000 workout bonus. Tht would seem to give him a 2014 cap hit of $3,701,691.

It is important to note this is all based on this early reporting. There might be other money impacting 2014, but this is based on what we've heard so far.

Adam Schefter tweeted another interesting note:

Adam Schefter
Colin Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow 49ers flexibility to negotiate extensions with players such as WR Michael Crabtree.

During his press conference, Kap said that the deal was structured so the team could re-sign some key players. Given that he is potentially only looking at a $2.4 million increase, that would seem to leave the 49ers with a little under $6 million in cap space in 2014. They'll save some of that for injury necessity, but there is still some money for potential contract extensions.

The 49ers now have the financial structure in place to figure out where they will go next. And that was always one of the important reasons to get a Kap deal done sooner rather than later. This will be the biggest contract on their books for the foreseeble future, so it's good to know exactly what we're talking about with this deal.

Protects them this year in the hope that the cap spikes upward the next few seasons.

smuggler
06-05-2014, 05:37 AM
They're in the same boat we are. One injury ruins their season. If he plays well (enough) and stays in SF for this year and the 6 others, none of that deal is fluff. As far as being 'under market value'? I laugh at that notion.

Rastak
06-05-2014, 05:56 AM
After reading the details 49ers got a decent deal on that contract. If he declines at all he's out with not that much of an impact. If he gets hurt his numbers start dropping with the de-escalator.

woodbuck27
06-05-2014, 06:46 AM
For #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick: It’s a 6-year extension worth up to $126M with $60M guaranteed, source says. Under contract through 2020

The #49ers have agreed to terms on a 6-year mega-extension with star QB Colin Kaepernick that could eclipse $20M per year, source says.

Great !

I'm glad they now took on this heat ($$$$ CAP $$$$) when the heat on this franchise is already turned up.

Iron Mike
06-05-2014, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm660vIn8Tg

woodbuck27
06-05-2014, 06:50 AM
49ers gave most of their draft choices a quill to sign with this year. When I saw the first one, thought he did it on his own and it was neat, but if the team is doing it with all the signings, it will grow old quickly. I also don't see an inkwell there, so I assume they just busted open a Bic pen, and jammed the innards into a feather.

Is that " a turkey feather " ?

red
06-05-2014, 07:18 AM

i think russell is better then kapernick, but honestly, if either of those teams lose their QB that team is gonnabe just fine

sure, he's looked like a HOFer against us, but thats because our defense is a joke. against everyone else in the NFL is just looks "ok"

i wouldn't even call him a top 10 QB right now. but maybe like PB said, it could just be all fluff

mraynrand
06-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Everyone not in in San Fransisco secretly hoping for a fluff deal. People seem to hate this dude for no apparent reason. Oddly enough, no one seemed to care when humanlife failure Cutler got an obscene guaranteed contract.

That's not true. I hate him because he keeps beating us. And for the hat.

mraynrand
06-05-2014, 07:24 AM
i think russell is better then kapernick, but honestly, if either of those teams lose their QB that team is gonnabe just fine

I LOLed at that one. Colt McCoy - LOL. I think Will Tukuafu is the emergency...

Tarvaris Jackson = Washed up; Terrelle Pryor - never say never, I suppose...

denverYooper
06-05-2014, 08:18 AM

I had the same thought. It's like someone strapped a pigeon feather on a Bic.

pbmax
06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

Only $13 mil guaranteed as of now. Base salaries in future years do not becomes fully guaranteed until April 1 of that year (otherwise guaranteed for injury only). Not only gives them time in offseason to determine his health, but also happens after FA starts, which gives them a lot of leverage.

De-escalator can remove $12 million of deal $2 mil/year in each of the last 8 years. The threshold for stopping the de-escalator is 80% of snaps (mainly healthy starter) or a Super Bowl visit or All Pro (1st or 2nd team). There are also large roster bonuses.

Very little of this deal is guaranteed, but for the relief of Packer fans, if he is playing, its costing the 49ers more. For a contract with a ridiculous headline number, its very team friendly. I think its odd his agents let him sign it since it runs for seven years. He is never in the drivers seat.

deake
06-05-2014, 09:00 AM
So this year its cap friendly and next year it costs them 20 mil?

pbmax
06-05-2014, 09:05 AM
So this year its cap friendly and next year it costs them 20 mil?

Signing bonus was $12 mil+ over six extension years. So max accrued cost year to year for cap purposes is $2 mil (might be less if they prorate over extension PLUS this year). Base in 2015 is $12.4 mil.

So his cap number in '15 will be well under $20 mil.

Guiness
06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
After reading the details 49ers got a decent deal on that contract. If he declines at all he's out with not that much of an impact. If he gets hurt his numbers start dropping with the de-escalator.

Seems very team friendly. I'd venture that if he had enough confidence, he should've done what Flacco did, bet on himself and go into the last year of his contract rather than sign this.

The 2M de-escalators are particularly onerous - he loses 2M/year if he doesn't get named all-pro (he hasn't been yet) or the team goes to the SB. So unless the planets really align, kiss that good-bye. They also didn't touch his base for the coming season, it's still at 645K.

I think the worst part of the deal for him, however, is the injury guarantee that converts to a full guarantee April 1st - after FA has already started! The 49ers could cut him loose any year, including after the 2014 season, with minimal cap hit, <10M starting after the 2014 season.

Smidgeon
06-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Seems very team friendly. I'd venture that if he had enough confidence, he should've done what Flacco did, bet on himself and go into the last year of his contract rather than sign this.

The 2M de-escalators are particularly onerous - he loses 2M/year if he doesn't get named all-pro (he hasn't been yet) or the team goes to the SB. So unless the planets really align, kiss that good-bye. They also didn't touch his base for the coming season, it's still at 645K.

I think the worst part of the deal for him, however, is the injury guarantee that converts to a full guarantee April 1st - after FA has already started! The 49ers could cut him loose any year, including after the 2014 season, with minimal cap hit, <10M starting after the 2014 season.

Or if he plays less than 80% of the snaps. That's the easiest one to hit to avoid the de-escalators.

Guiness
06-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Signing bonus was $12 mil+ over six extension years. So max accrued cost year to year for cap purposes is $2 mil (might be less if they prorate over extension PLUS this year). Base in 2015 is $12.4 mil.

So his cap number in '15 will be well under $20 mil.

2015 cap number, assuming he plays all the games but the 2M de-escalator kicks in, would be:
12.4(base) + 2.05(signing bonus) + 2(game day bonuses) + .4 (workout bonus)= 16.85M

Guiness
06-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Or if he plays less than 80% of the snaps. That's the easiest one to hit to avoid the de-escalators.

Nope. He has to play 80% AND one of the other two choices have to occur. From PFT

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro.

The only good part of it for him is if he stops the de-escalator once, the rest going forward become guaranteed. What is not clear is if they are fully guaranteed, or just get rolled into his base which is not fully guaranteed until Apr 1 of each year.

Something else I just noticed - he didn't get the 2M in game day bonuses for the 2014 season! His agent is worse than Master P!

If, for some reason, the 49ers wanted to cut him lose next spring, they will have paid him 13M and owe him nothing more!

woodbuck27
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Nope. He has to play 80% AND one of the other two choices have to occur. From PFT

The only good part of it for him is if he stops the de-escalator once, the rest going forward become guaranteed. What is not clear is if they are fully guaranteed, or just get rolled into his base which is not fully guaranteed until Apr 1 of each year.

Something else I just noticed - he didn't get the 2M in game day bonuses for the 2014 season! His agent is worse than Master P!

If, for some reason, the 49ers wanted to cut him lose next spring, they will have paid him 13M and owe him nothing more!

Obviously C K isn't paying attention.

He reminds me of someone missing or out of the Archie Cartoon series.

Just Jeff
06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
SF will have to pay the cap gods dearly now. All veterans will need to be let go when their contracts are up and there can be no free agents signed nor contract extensions.

pbmax
06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
The first report by PFT did frame that de-escaator condition as Guiness has it.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

But the next article makes it an OR condition:

That’s a cap number of $18.35 million, which will drop to $16.35 million if he doesn’t take at least 80 percent of the snaps or if he fails to lead the team to the Super Bowl or to be named first-team or second-team AP All-Pro in 2014 and 2015.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/so-how-does-kaepernicks-deal-help-the-team-sign-other-guys/

The second story is newer, and both written by Florio. Someone should email him. If its the AND condition, that is simply nuts.

Guiness
06-05-2014, 06:31 PM
The first report by PFT did frame that de-escaator condition as Guiness has it.

But the next article makes it an OR condition:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/so-how-does-kaepernicks-deal-help-the-team-sign-other-guys/

The second story is newer, and both written by Florio. Someone should email him. If its the AND condition, that is simply nuts.

La Canfora from sportsline put together a sentence that is pretty confusing as well

If Kaepernick fails to be named to the Associated Press All-Pro first or second team this season or fails to lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl while playing in 80 percent of the snaps in the regular season and 80 percent of the snaps in the playoffs, then his 2015 salary de-escalates by $2 million.

Near impossible to read and make sense of that run on sentence. He added the caveat that Kaepernick has to play 80% of snaps in playoffs as well, and makes it sound like he has to both be all-pro and lead his team to the SB. Pretty sure he's talking out of his ass.

Also, what Florio wrote in the second article,

That’s a cap number of $18.35 million, which will drop to $16.35 million if he doesn’t take at least 80 percent of the snaps or if he fails to lead the team to the Super Bowl or to be named first-team or second-team AP All-Pro in 2014 and 2015.
is hard to interpret. Three ors, you could read it to say that if he fails to meet any of the conditions the money is gone!

edit: mailed Florio! We'll see.

Guiness
06-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Well, I didn't get an answer directly from Florio (not that I expected one) but he did publish another article which purportedly clarified it. La Confora was correct in that post-season snaps figure into it, which Florio did not initially mention. However, the clarification does nothing to help me. Here is the text, can someone tell me wtf it is saying? I'm not thick, but it's still not clear to me.

Is now seems like being named first or second team all-pro is enough by itself. The second way to avoid the de-escalators is to meet the criteria laid out in (1), (2) and (3).

Based on the official NFLPA breakdown of the Kaepernick deal, here’s precisely what he must do to get the full $12 million, at $2 million per year. In 2014, he must be named an Associated Press first-team or second-team All-Pro, or he must: (1) win the NFC title game, (2) have 80-percent playing time in the regular season, and (3) have cumulative 80-percent playing time in all postseason games, not including the Super Bowl.

Pretty onerous. He also points out that this was a sneaky way of doing things, because as I suspected this counts as part of base salaries, not an incentive/bonus that is earned when the conditions are met. Meaning if he met the conditions, then is cut (say after year 2) he doesn't get the money from years 3 and later. This comes up because if he only has to meet the conditions once, to make the de-escalators go away for the rest of the contract.

I bet we'll see more of this, after what NE learned by guaranteeing money down the road to Hernandez. He (well, his lawyers, eventually) are going to get that 3.5M that was payable as part of the signing bonus.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/making-sense-of-the-kaepernick-de-escalators/

pbmax
06-07-2014, 11:32 AM
I agree. Its either the All-Pro route or all three of the remaining conditions. While it doesn't apply for cap purposes, its essentially a Not Likely To Be Earned Bonus.

Guiness
06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I agree. Its either the All-Pro route or all three of the remaining conditions. While it doesn't apply for cap purposes, its essentially a Not Likely To Be Earned Bonus.

Ouch. This is a ridiculous clause for him to accept.

re: cap
on paper, it's part of the base, so I'd guess it will initially count vs the cap, but they'll get a refund at the end of the year if(when) they don't pay it out.

pbmax
06-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Ouch. This is a ridiculous clause for him to accept.

re: cap
on paper, it's part of the base, so I'd guess it will initially count vs the cap, but they'll get a refund at the end of the year if(when) they don't pay it out.

It applies to the next season, so they will get credit and not have to pay it out in the same year.

Guiness
06-07-2014, 02:12 PM
It applies to the next season, so they will get credit and not have to pay it out in the same year.

Ah, right. There is no de-escalator for 2014, his base stayed at 645K (!). If he doesn't meet the criteria in 2014, he doesn't get the money in 2015. They have to know before the season, because it affects his game-day cheques.

vince
06-08-2014, 12:05 PM
He's a hell of a player, so it's about time he costs them full value. Decent arm but his ability to run when flushed helps his pocket presence. I wouldn't wish injury to anyone but like RGIII, he's not the same guy with a bum knee so it's a double-edged sword he wields. Keep him in the pocket consistently and he's not elite.

Guiness
06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
He's a hell of a player, so it's about time he costs them full value. Decent arm but his ability to run when flushed helps his pocket presence. I wouldn't wish injury to anyone but like RGIII, he's not the same guy with a bum knee so it's a double-edged sword he wields. Keep him in the pocket consistently and he's not elite.

Don't know how much I agree with that last bit. To effectively keep him in the pocket, I think you have to dedicate a spy - we've seen it over the years with Vick, or even going back, Cunningham in his Eagle days. That spy leaves the rest of your defense shorthanded, makes his job throwing a lot easier, and make him look better.

vince
06-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Don't know how much I agree with that last bit. To effectively keep him in the pocket, I think you have to dedicate a spy - we've seen it over the years with Vick, or even going back, Cunningham in his Eagle days. That spy leaves the rest of your defense shorthanded, makes his job throwing a lot easier, and make him look better.
In theory that should make him more productive.

91.6 QB rating ranked him 12th in the league
21 TD throws was 17th
58.4 completion % was 36th in the league
8 int's was 9th best among QBs with over 100 completions
199.8 yds./game 27th best

Sure the 9ers style has some to do with all that but that throwing production isn't the mark of an elite passer in my book. If you bump his numbers based on some factor which takes into account a strong defense and running attack, maybe that gets him up to an above average thrower.

I do think he's very good because he's a really strong dual threat, but if a defense can take away that running threat (easier said than done) or if injury slows him, I think he's pretty average as a passer.

Good arm, less than average release, slightly below average accuracy, maybe will develop into a good decision-maker pre- and post-snap but I'm not sure about that either. He's smart but I don't know about his work ethic.

Not a fan of the bicep kissing and post-game self-aggrandizing smack talk either but that doesn't necessarily impact his performance on the field until he starts believing he's as good as he likes to show himself off to be which won't help his film study and preparation.

He'll be a force as long as he can use his legs to support his arm. JMO

Guiness
06-08-2014, 02:22 PM
He'll be a force as long as he can use his legs to support his arm. JMO

Yup, this is the clincher here. Some dual threat guys can progress on from it as they lose the speed, i.e. Cunningham. Others, like Vick, live and die with it. Early signs are that RG3 is pretty much doomed without his wheels. Kaep showed signs, especially against the Packers week 1 last year, that he can get it done without taking off.

Brandon494
06-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Good arm, less than average release, slightly below average accuracy, maybe will develop into a good decision-maker pre- and post-snap but I'm not sure about that either. He's smart but I don't know about his work ethic.

Kaepernick has one of the strongest arms in the league. Remember he was drafted in the MLB draft a few years back and was clocked 95 mph throwing the baseball. I also think he has a good release of the football but he does need to improve his accuracy. Hes never had a problem turning over the ball so I think his decision making is fine, he just needs to go through his progressions more finding his 3rd and 4th options. Obviously his legs are a threat but as he showed week 1 against us he can beat you with his arm as well, IMO hes best times are ahead of him.

vince
06-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Kaepernick has one of the strongest arms in the league. Remember he was drafted in the MLB draft a few years back and was clocked 95 mph throwing the baseball. I also think he has a good release of the football but he does need to improve his accuracy. Hes never had a problem turning over the ball so I think his decision making is fine, he just needs to go through his progressions more finding his 3rd and 4th options. Obviously his legs are a threat but as he showed week 1 against us he can beat you with his arm as well, IMO hes best times are ahead of him.
We all remember game 1 last year but if you look at every other game in his career before and since, he's never once even came within the same universe from a passing perspective.

I'd say his delivery is slow and elongated - somewhat reminiscent of a baseball pitcher's - if he's getting much zip on the ball.

I went looking for some highlights of him and I was surprised at how few passes he's made that are even highlight worthy. They're mostly runs - and unfortunately for us, mostly against the Packers. When you dig down, if not for that one anomaly passing the ball Week 1 last season, his throwing performance and production looks downright pathetic as a body of work.

Good game manager who doesn't turn it over (underrated qualities, particularly on a team with a good D but hardly elite) with a good arm and really good legs for a QB. Hopefully for him and the 9ers, the tendons on those chicken legs don't snap.

Brandon494
06-08-2014, 04:24 PM
We all remember game 1 last year but if you look at every other game in his career before and since, he's never once even came within the same universe from a passing perspective.

I'd say his delivery is slow and elongated - somewhat reminiscent of a baseball pitcher's - if he's getting much zip on the ball.

I went looking for some highlights of him and I was surprised at how few passes he's made that are even highlight worthy. They're mostly runs - and unfortunately for us, mostly against the Packers. When you dig down, if not for that one anomaly passing the ball Week 1 last season, his throwing performance and production looks downright pathetic as a body of work.

Good game manager who doesn't turn it over (underrated qualities, particularly on a team with a good D but hardly elite) with a good arm and really good legs for a QB. Hopefully for him and the 9ers, the tendons on those chicken legs don't snap.

I agree he'll never be considered one of the best passers in the game but I think you are selling him short as a thrower. Hes for sure has one of the top 5 arms in the game (Cutler, Big Ben, Stafford, Kaepernick, Flacco). Also found it interesting his numbers are fairly similar to Flaccos who also received a big deal last season.

Here is a pretty interesting video on Kapernick's throwing motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7xfvFgZ1E

smuggler
06-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Big Ben does not have a top-5 arm. I'd put Rodgers over him, at least.

Brandon494
06-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Big Ben does not have a top-5 arm. I'd put Rodgers over him, at least.

A argument can be made that Rodgers should be in the top 5 but Big Ben has a top-5 arm no doubt.

Here is a list from 2012 furthest down field throws. Never mind the Foles highlight, I got this list from an eagles site.

http://birdbreakdowndotcom1.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/arm-strength.png

RashanGary
06-08-2014, 06:08 PM
My impression watching Kaepernick was that his arm arm is about as strong as anyone's. I thought he threw with more velocity than AR, but that's just this fans perception. Clearly his legs are better. Physically, he's everything you want. I also really liked his throwing motion, release and he seems to have consistent footwork. Harbaugh seems to coach him well. His decision making and game command seem suspect to me. It's the only real flaw I see in his game, but it's a pretty big flaw.

pbmax
06-08-2014, 06:14 PM
My impression watching Kaepernick was that his arm arm is about as strong as anyone's. I thought he threw with more velocity than AR, but that's just this fans perception. Clearly his legs are better. Physically, he's everything you want. I also really liked his throwing motion, release and he seems to have consistent footwork. Harbaugh seems to coach him well. His decision making and game command seem suspect to me. It's the only real flaw I see in his game, but it's a pretty big flaw.

I think his only real flaw is that he doesn't have to learn to go away from his primary or secondary read. He can either wait for someone to break free and clear or he can bail on failing pass protection.

Its tough to lean to stand in the pocket and go through the entire progression when the pocket is collapsing because you can always make a play with your feet (and I don't think he is a one read guy). If you are CK, its not necessary to take that additional punishment. If you are Craig Morton, its mandatory.

Just Jeff
06-08-2014, 06:55 PM
The only problem I see with Kaeprnick is that there are 31 other team to play besides the packers. He looks very pedestrian against anyone but us.

vince
06-09-2014, 06:48 AM
I agree he'll never be considered one of the best passers in the game but I think you are selling him short as a thrower. Hes for sure has one of the top 5 arms in the game (Cutler, Big Ben, Stafford, Kaepernick, Flacco). Also found it interesting his numbers are fairly similar to Flaccos who also received a big deal last season.
Yeah he's a good football player for sure. I probably overstated things a bit just to make an argument. I liked Kaep better than all the other QB's coming out that year because he's such a dual threat. Don't remember the whole lot but it included guys like Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker who were drafted ahead of him I believe.

That said, Ryan Leaf and Jeff George had cannons too so it obviously will take more than arm strength for Kaep to excel as a thrower. He's not there yet but the Niners are banking on him being the man and that's all that really counts for him.

If/when that 4.5 speed becomes 4.7+ he's gonna have to be better as a passer regardless of his tools, tats and biceps.

vince
06-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Newton and Dalton were the other two QB's selected ahead of Kaep in 2011. I'd say the Bengals and Panthers are happy with their picks but the Vikes, Titans and Jags would like to have a redo.

QB's that can run and pass offer a ton of value but it can be such a fleeting benefit I'd have a tough time placing the future of my franchise on the legs of a QB too.

Guiness
06-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Newton and Dalton were the other two QB's selected ahead of Kaep in 2011. I'd say the Bengals and Panthers are happy with their picks but the Vikes, Titans and Jags would like to have a redo.

QB's that can run and pass offer a ton of value but it can be such a fleeting benefit I'd have a tough time placing the future of my franchise on the legs of a QB too.

Vikings and Jags for sure, but I don't think the Titans are that unhappy, are they? Although durability has certainly been a problem.

Brandon494
06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Bengals imo would take Kaep over Dalton if they were given the chance to redraft. 1 TD and 6 INTs in the postseason for Mr Dalton with a 0-3 record.

Brandon494
06-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Vikings and Jags for sure, but I don't think the Titans are that unhappy, are they? Although durability has certainly been a problem.

I would be unhappy if I drafted Locker with a top ten pick, he is athletic but he has never put up big numbers in college or the NFL and he can't stay on the field.

Cleft Crusty
06-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I would be unhappy if I drafted Locker with a top ten pick, he is athletic but he has never put up big numbers in college or the NFL and he can't stay on the field.

The Hurt Locker