PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson wants extension done ' ASAP '.

woodbuck27
06-05-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140603/PKR0101/140603038/Nelson-wants-extension-done-soon-possible-

Nelson wants extension done 'as soon as possible'

" ... With the nearly draft process order and roughly $12 million left in cap room, the Green Bay Packers could very soon be looking to lock up receivers Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb for the long term.

For the 29-year-old Nelson, he’s hoping to get something done as soon as possible and perhaps even before the start of training camp at the end of July. ..." Fr. LINK

Click on LINK for the rest of this story.

GO PACK GO !

Just Jeff
06-05-2014, 12:55 PM
He's going to have to wait until Crusty's thread concludes. If we get Kap we'll be in cap hell and Jordy will have to retire

Zool
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM
He's going to have to wait until Crusty's thread concludes. If we get Kap we'll be in cap hell and Jordy will have to retire

You're a real ray of sunshine aren't you Tank.

woodbuck27
06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
You're a real ray of sunshine aren't you Tank.

I'm not seeing that one.

If your correct then Tank is morphing into something akin to the Predator.

Formidable.

pbmax
07-24-2014, 01:49 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 14m
Jordy Nelson's looking for $10 million a year on his next deal http://wp.me/p14QSB-9wx9

Been nice knowing you Jordy. I hope NY/Detroit/San Fran/Seattle treats you well.

Original story by Demovsky: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11259486/jordy-nelson-green-bay-packers-wants-10-million-per-year

hoosier
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Well, hopefully two or three of the new guys pan out. If Nelson can get $10M on the market, more power to him. We can only hope that Sea or San Fran decide to tie up that much money in a guy who isn't quite as good as his numbers.

Zool
07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
If Nelson is lost, it will be felt by everyone on the O unless Adams is a stud. Boykin is no James Jones, and Janis is no Nelson. Cobb will get doubled every passing down.

Brandon494
07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Don't think hes worth the money but its no doubt the connection him and Rodgers have...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/30/packers-aaron-rodgers-jordy-nelson-best-qb-wr-duo-in-nfl/

http://img.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2014/06/QBWR-Combo-Passer-Rating-2011-to-2013.jpg

Pugger
07-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Do you gentlemen think Jordy belongs with this group?

http://www.therichest.com/sports/football-sports/top-10-highest-paid-nfl-wide-receivers-of-2013/

Tony Oday
07-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Offer the Roddy White extension

Joemailman
07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Jordy will sign an extension with the Packers somewhere between 9-10 million per year.

Zool
07-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Problem with comparing his contract to the top 10 today is how much would those guys get paid if they were up for a contract in 2015 not how much they are paid currently.

Tony Oday
07-24-2014, 04:27 PM
We got the home town discount last time lets pay the guy.

Joemailman
07-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Problem with comparing his contract to the top 10 today is how much would those guys get paid if they were up for a contract in 2015 not how much they are paid currently.

Brandon Marshall signed a 3 year, 30 million extension a few months ago. Is the market for Jordy stronger than for Brandon Marshall?

red
07-24-2014, 05:21 PM
thats a lot of coin. but a lot of us on this forum have figured for awhile that the 10 million dollar mark is want he was probably gonna get

the question becomes, what does cobb want if jordy wants 10 a year. it was pretty obvious before he got hurt last year that cobb had become a-rods "go-to guy"

can we really afford to pay 2 wr's around 10 a year each with all the young talent we now have at the position?

and if it becomes a one or the other situation, who do you keep? jordy is a great deep threat and a crowd favorite. cobb is younger and more talented (imo), and more exciting (also imo). both great players, both seem like great locker room guys

Guiness
07-24-2014, 07:59 PM
thats a lot of coin. but a lot of us on this forum have figured for awhile that the 10 million dollar mark is want he was probably gonna get

the question becomes, what does cobb want if jordy wants 10 a year. it was pretty obvious before he got hurt last year that cobb had become a-rods "go-to guy"

can we really afford to pay 2 wr's around 10 a year each with all the young talent we now have at the position?

and if it becomes a one or the other situation, who do you keep? jordy is a great deep threat and a crowd favorite. cobb is younger and more talented (imo), and more exciting (also imo). both great players, both seem like great locker room guys

It is a bit of an embarrassment of riches. Can you pay two guys and a QB all top money? My gut reaction is no.

10M is not really top of the market anymore, Bowe has the 5th highest APY at 11.2M. Nelson might take a (small) step below, but I really don't see him signing for any less than 9.5M or so. Maybe the Pack gets lucky and sign Cobb for less? If so, not by much...and I think Cobb will be less willing to give a discount because he is much less likely to have a long career.

Zool
07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Brandon Marshall signed a 3 year, 30 million extension a few months ago. Is the market for Jordy stronger than for Brandon Marshall?

Good question. I'd put Marshall a small notch ahead of Nelson and only a year older but the Packers have the cash to spend right now so 3 years $30 would sit fine with me.

pbmax
07-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Cobb could be tricky. A lot of promise and good things when healthy. But has missed significant time. Going to get a shorter, tweener contract I think.

Striker
07-25-2014, 10:09 AM
If the cap jumps as much as it's supposed to in the next few years, 10m could easily become average for #1 WRs (not top tier like Megatron, but just the good #1s that are out there). I'd say get it done. WRs typically don't fade like RBs do until the mid 30s, so Jordy (if he stays healthy) likely has a few good years left in him.

Guiness
07-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Cobb could be tricky. A lot of promise and good things when healthy. But has missed significant time. Going to get a shorter, tweener contract I think.

Might be what happens - near 10 for Nelson, 5-6 for Cobb. That could work for the Pack.

Cheesehead Craig
07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
They will pay Jordy and he'll stay a Packer.

Fritz
07-26-2014, 07:50 AM
I believe this to be the case. I think they'll wait on Cobb.

And probably wait on Finley until he's twisting in the wind and the usual two to three tight ends get hurt in camp.

3irty1
07-26-2014, 07:51 AM
I don't see any potential for savings by signing him now. Why not take his last cheap year and address this with another year of insight?

Fritz
07-26-2014, 07:57 AM
"Him" being Nelson or Cobb? If you mean Cobb, I agree. If you mean Nelson, I don't agree - you know what you have with him, and you don't want to risk the Vikings luring him away with a huge contract and the promise of 1,000 acres of prime Minnesota farmland.

denverYooper
07-26-2014, 08:02 AM
"Him" being Nelson or Cobb? If you mean Cobb, I agree. If you mean Nelson, I don't agree - you know what you have with him, and you don't want to risk the Vikings luring him away with a huge contract and the promise of 1,000 acres of prime Minnesota farmland.

Well, he is a farmboy.

3irty1
07-26-2014, 08:19 AM

"Him" being Jordy. With Cobb there well could be savings because he's never been the best on his own team. He's shown enough to give everyone a boner but hasn't even had a 1,000 yard season yet. Because we already know exactly what Jordy is I feel his deal is less urgent. I don't really see him as a FA flight risk. Also a lot can change in a year so there is value in deferring the decision. We may not need to evaluate Jordy to pay him but he's not been immune to injury so why raise the stakes earlier than we need to?

Fritz
07-26-2014, 08:39 AM
"Him" being Jordy. With Cobb there well could be savings because he's never been the best on his own team. He's shown enough to give everyone a boner but hasn't even had a 1,000 yard season yet. Because we already know exactly what Jordy is I feel his deal is less urgent. I don't really see him as a FA flight risk. Also a lot can change in a year so there is value in deferring the decision. We may not need to evaluate Jordy to pay him but he's not been immune to injury so why raise the stakes earlier than we need to?

Ah, the eternal debate. You're right about the injury possibility, of course, but the other side of the equation is that by waiting you'll pay more later or lose the guy. He seems loyal, but he's no dummy. It's a short career and there is no real loyalty on either side. It's a business. Maybe he'd like to play closer to home, in KC?

Brandon494
07-26-2014, 10:07 AM

He had 433 yards in 6 games last season, I think he was well on his way before the BS tackle from the rookie safety Elam.

Rutnstrut
07-26-2014, 10:12 AM
It's done, 4 year 39 million.

red
07-26-2014, 01:42 PM
He had 433 yards in 6 games last season, I think he was well on his way before the BS tackle from the rookie safety Elam.

It was pretty clear, at least to me, that ccobb was the #1 guy before the freak injury

I have no doubt he'll resume that role this year

pbmax
07-26-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't see any potential for savings by signing him now. Why not take his last cheap year and address this with another year of insight?

Cap room if you want both Jordy and Randall.

run pMc
07-26-2014, 04:19 PM
It was pretty clear, at least to me, that ccobb was the #1 guy before the freak injury

I have no doubt he'll resume that role this year

I think Jordy is 1A and Cobb is 1B, based on last 2 seasons. Cobb is more dynamic and you can even run him out of the backfield, but Jordy has proven he can play all the WR spots at a high level.
For all the talk about the 4th and 8 bomb to Cobb in Week17 against the Bears, it's easy to forget that Jordy was either getting double coverage or killing the CBs on stop routes -- including a tough clutch catch on 4th and 1 just before the Cobb TD.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013122901/2013/REG17/packers@bears#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap20000 00307305&tab=recap

I think Cobb is a good player and worth keeping, but he is a smaller guy than Jordy and probably always going to fight injuries with the way he plays. If he's healthy for at least 12 games he'll have a good chance to crack 1000 yards -- Rodgers likes him and will throw to him a lot.

red
07-26-2014, 05:14 PM
I like how there seems to be a theme in this thread that cobb is somehow injury prone and needs to "prove he can stay healthy". yet theres no talk about jordy needing to do that.

Cobb had one freak injury that cost most of last season. On a hit that would have injured any/every player. Other then that he missed one game his rookie year, and one game his second year

Jordy has had 4 seasons without missing a game. But his second year he missed 3 games and 2 seasons ago he missed 4

Im not sure how anyone can say cobb is anymore injury prone, or that he is injury prone at all

Does arod also now have to prove he's not injury prone?