PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial World Cup Thread de 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

pbmax
07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Max, why don't you just admit it - you're going Eurogay, and American Football is too brutish for you anymore!!!

My 2 year old boy cut his knee and elbow pretty good yesterday chasing after candy at the 4th of July parade... pretty good cuts, decent amount of blood. Never missed a beat, just kept after the candy, lol...

My 13 year old nephew, whose mommy won't let him play any sports but soccer b/c the other sports are "too rough" - piped up, and showed us his major wound from playing soccer - a little scratch on his elbow, lol...

My 2 year old is tougher than that kid, lol...

Better question, would the 2 year old have been able to continue with a fractured vertebrae?

pbmax
07-05-2014, 02:32 PM
True story:

Spent part of my childhood in a neighborhood without a lot of kids my age. Used to have to travel (away games!) to friends neighborhood to get a baseball or football game going. One of my friends had 2 younger brothers and if you wanted a big game, they usually had to take part.

Problem was that the middle kid would get so mad when things didn't go his way, he would inevitably end up in tears and try to take the ball home. It was part immaturity but also that fantastic brotherly ability to make a bad situation worse for your sibling.

So moral of story? By High School he was the best and most successful athlete of the bunch. I could play left tackle better than he, but that was it. And that was mostly about size differential. He was a wrestler who went to compete in the state tournament.

wist43
07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Better question, would the 2 year old have been able to continue with a fractured vertebrae?

Well, from what I heard on the radio, the guy who got hurt weighs about 78 lbs, right?? lol...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/police-release-911-call-attack-referee-24407927

Here's why you can't hit someone involved in soccer - they are so fragile, one hit could kill them.

Seems to happen a lot, doesn't it?? Hooligans meet nancyboys... that outcome is predictable.

Never thought about it, but it would seem that soccer is a sport where the fans are tougher than the players. Although the hooligan who hit the ref I guess was a player - in Detroit?? I think he'll get probation and community service for that.

red
07-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Well, from what I heard on the radio, the guy who got hurt weighs about 78 lbs, right?? lol...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/police-release-911-call-attack-referee-24407927

Here's why you can't hit someone involved in soccer - they are so fragile, one hit could kill them.

Seems to happen a lot, doesn't it?? Hooligans meet nancyboys... that outcome is predictable.

Never thought about it, but it would seem that soccer is a sport where the fans are tougher than the players. Although the hooligan who hit the ref I guess was a player - in Detroit?? I think he'll get probation and community service for that.

yup, better, stronger athlete

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E6M9JgVstoI/UtZXzu0SUWI/AAAAAAAAABo/wfnAWA3qJZI/s288/Romelu-Lukaku-1.jpg

6'2, 221 soccer player, maybe 4 or 5 % body fat

or

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iUK4f9FEdHM/TT82trSnBkI/AAAAAAAABlY/IGqG2NgFWYw/s320/cody.jpg

6'4, 380 football player about 70% body fat if not more

obviously our american brains tell us the bigger fatter guy is naturally the better athlete. probably because we're all a bunch of fat fucks who think fatter is better because thats how we look

red
07-05-2014, 04:26 PM
and yeah, bigger tougher football players never get hurt

http://swoonworthy.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/clay-mathews-muscle-fitness-cover.jpg

red
07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
hell of a free kick by sneijder just now

red
07-05-2014, 04:50 PM
yeah robben has really made an art of going down and making it look bad, but he really is getting fouled almost every time.

he's just making sure he gets the call

HOW THE HELL DID THAT NOT JUST GO IN?

pbmax
07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
nm

pbmax
07-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Costa Rica plays fantastic defense but they look just like the US on offense. Didn't take shape until the last 5 minutes of the match. Then #10 hit a weak penalty kick.

So the semis are the traditional powers on 2 continents: Germany/Netherlands and Brazil/Argentina.

Freak Out
07-05-2014, 07:49 PM
I loved how the Dutch keeper was out in guys faces before a few kicks.

Freak Out
07-05-2014, 07:57 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldcup/

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Damn 2-0 already

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Wow make that 3-0 Germany...unreal

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Holy shit its now 4-0 HAHAHAHA

Cheesehead Craig
07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Muller!!!!!!!

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Brazil fans are already crying only 25 minutes into the game. 3 goals in the span of 3 minutes LMAO.

Cheesehead Craig
Holy shit, a 3rd one for Germany!

Joemailman
Never seen this before. Only half way through the 1st half.

Cheesehead Craig
07-08-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm a bit behind. Wow. What a blitzkrieg!

Teamcheez1
07-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Rooting for Germany, but Brazil didn't show up to play today.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 03:29 PM
5-0...biggest choke in world cup history?

Cheesehead Craig
07-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Over/Under for deaths after this game?

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 03:32 PM
5-0...biggest choke in world cup history?

I don't know if it's a choke if you don't show up.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't know if it's a choke if you don't show up.

To get beat like this on their home field though....30 minutes in.

Almost like in 2011 when we played the Giants in the playoffs. :/

Cheesehead Craig
07-08-2014, 03:42 PM
To get beat like this on their home field though....30 minutes in.

Almost like in 2011 when we played the Giants in the playoffs. :/

Too soon. ;)

Guiness
07-08-2014, 04:32 PM
'ol Vince woulda said "what the hell is going on out there?"

Kroos' first goal was a beauty.

Germany brought a physical game, and Brazil was busy falling all over the place looking for fouls. Watch the first 10 minutes, at least 3 or 4 of them. Brazil was awarded a free kick or two, but no yellow cards which is what I think they were looking for.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 04:39 PM
See? I start paying attention and all hell breaks loose. Brazil is like the Browns out there.

If you tuned in late, you might as well just watch the highlights.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Over/Under for deaths after this game?

Who is the Brazilian Skip Bayless? You have to at least call for the coach's head and tell everyone you believed in Argentina and Messi more all along.

Maybe the actual Skip Bayless will compare LeBron to Brazil tomorrow.

Freak Out
07-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Pretty poor strategy from Brazil: Don't play defense and flop. The Germans had so much space it was like Brasil fielded the Packer defense from a couple of years back. :)

Guiness
07-08-2014, 05:35 PM
And Germany wins by two field goals.

I figured Germany would win with the players Brazil was missing, but wasn't sure because I didn't know how deep Brasil was.

Rastak
07-08-2014, 08:09 PM
An epic beat down.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 08:13 PM
What is it about the makeup of the Brazilian team that they would collapse like that after falling behind by 2 goals? Have they just never been in that situation before? The U.S. fell behind by 2 goals in the extra period against Belgium and damn near came back to tie the game.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
It should be great having the World Cup in Russia in 2018:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/08/russian-priest-multi-colored-cleats-make-world-cup-a-homosexual-abomination.html

While the rest of Russia was mourning a dismal performance in Brazil, one Orthodox priest said he was pleased that the team had gone home early. Alexander Shumsky criticized the Russian players for embracing the latest sporting fashion of wearing multi-colored boots.

The motivation for Nike and Addidas to dazzle the audience with ever brighter designs is probably motivated by a desire to grab our attention rather than influence our sexual desires, but Shumsky insisted that the green, yellow, pink, and blue shoes were promoting the "gay rainbow.”

“Wearing pink or blue shoes, [the players] might as well wear women’s panties or a bra,” he wrote in his column on a Christian website which was translated by the Moscow Times. He said he was also offended by the “unthinkable” hairstyles of some of the players in Brazil.

“The liberal ideology of globalism clearly wants to oppose Christianity with football. I’m sure of it. Therefore I am glad that the Russian players have failed and, by the grace of God, no longer participate in this homosexual abomination,” he explained.

KYPack
07-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I was about to post a question...

Who is our resident fag on the forum anyhow? (Ya know, so we could all fuck with him).

But then, in mid post, I remembered who it is.

red
07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
I thought the germans would win, but no way in hell I expected that. Brazilian players should be ashamed

gbgary
07-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I thought the germans would win, but no way in hell I expected that. Brazilian players should be ashamed

yup. figured ger would win, even with neymar and silva on the pitch for bra, but without them they didn't have a chance. was much worse than i ever would have though. what was it...four goals in 5 minutes? ridiculous.

rvp needs to play tomorrow for ned even though he's had a tummy ache. arg is a stacked team but it's almost like they can't do it unless messi puts them on his shoulders. should be a good game...i'm pulling for ned...rvp and van gaal lead then to the final against ger...or not. :-)

Bretsky
07-08-2014, 10:14 PM
A couple serious questions here: keep in mind I'm real busy bouncing all over the place between sports/kids/job

How many teams are left ?
Who are they ?
When is it done ?

That is all I need for the update; I'll be in here more when football comes back and this stuff is over

Thx and Cheers All,
B

HarveyWallbangers
07-09-2014, 12:18 AM
A couple serious questions here: keep in mind I'm real busy bouncing all over the place between sports/kids/job

How many teams are left ?
Who are they ?
When is it done ?

That is all I need for the update; I'll be in here more when football comes back and this stuff is over

Thx and Cheers All,
B

Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in one semifinal. Argentina plays Netherlands in the other semifinal tomorrow. The winner vs. Germany on Sunday.

wootah
07-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Crazy game. Crying children in the stands after 30mins and the Germans not even celebrating their goals out of pure disbelief. Madness.

But Brazil got what they deserved after that horrible game against Columbia.

pbmax
07-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Crazy game. Crying children in the stands after 30mins and the Germans not even celebrating their goals out of pure disbelief. Madness.

But Brazil got what they deserved after that horrible game against Columbia.

The crying was strange, usually don't get that except in college and near the end of the game.

Curious, was that Columbian game that bad? I watched it and was stunned about the number of complaints about it afterward. I didn't think I had watched a mugging.

Was the knee to Neymar's back a payback for something?

Guiness
07-09-2014, 01:24 PM
The crying was strange, usually don't get that except in college and near the end of the game.

Curious, was that Columbian game that bad? I watched it and was stunned about the number of complaints about it afterward. I didn't think I had watched a mugging.

The Columbia game was very round, I just checked and there were 52 fouls, 31 committed by Brazil. They essentially played a game of hack-a-shaq with J. Rodriguez, who leads the golden boot standings. Their play is a more reminiscent of the late 70's Flyers or 4th division English play than Samba soccer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Mt-Styguo

It was pure chance that Neymar was stretchered off instead of Rodriguez. Couldn't find an image, but a Brazilian defender tackled him high and from behind in the opening 10 minutes, looks like he elbowed him in the back. If you can find a replay that zooms in on that you'll see it is quite bad.
I love this hipcheck...ball? What ball?
http://tweetnewsnet.com/wp-content/uploads/injury_to_james.jpg

Hypocritically, when they ran into the Germans, a physically larger and stronger team, they changed their style. They knew they would not be able to intimidate and bully them, so instead they decided to lie down.
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1898771/thumbs/o-BRAZIL-GERMANY-570.jpg

caveat: I was once denied entry to Brazil, the place pisses me off! lol

Joemailman
07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Germany had a cakewalk yesterday. Game was over in 30 minutes. One day later, Argentina had to go 120 minutes. Will fatigue be a factor on Sunday?

Joemailman
07-09-2014, 10:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsIyeInCcAAxrDa.jpg

wootah
07-10-2014, 02:54 AM

Basically what Guiness said. Brazil knew that Columbia had a better team from a tactical & technical POV, so they decided to make the game as physical as possible. First half was rough, lots of effort from both sides (but all relatively within the boundaries of the rules). If you watch soccer a bit, it was clear that this was a pace neither of the teams could continue for '90.

Second half, with the goal in front (and definately after the 2nd goal), Brazil just flat out stopped playing. A huge number of deliberate fouls to kill the tempo of the Columbian, massive flopping & trying to let the clock run out after each possible set piece. 4 or 5 times when a defender had the ball, he just kicked it upfield as far as possible without even looking if there was a teammate in the area, again, just to gain time. They basically did everything I try to teach my 15 year olds not to do. A complete disgrace IMO and one of the ugliest victories I've ever witnessed.

Columbia remains the best team I've seen on this tournament, lead by a brilliant James Rodriguez. The knee in Neymar's back was stupidity from Zuniga, who tried to match Brazil's physical play, but who should have already received a red card earlier for a tackle on a Brazilian knee.

Freak Out
07-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Alex....I'll take Argentina for $500.

Freak Out
07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
I guess they might be right....but the ESPN announcers (radio) yesterday went on and on about how neither the Dutch or the Argentinians had a chance against Germany. I call BS and think the Albicelestes have a shot at playing tough D and Messi stealing the game, or winning it on PKs.

Fritz
07-10-2014, 02:16 PM
I guess they might be right....but the ESPN announcers (radio) yesterday went on and on about how neither the Dutch or the Argentinians had a chance against Germany. I call BS and think the Albicelestes have a shot at playing tough D and Messi stealing the game, or winning it on PKs.

Messi is like Brett Favre - your team always has a chance when you've got him on your side!

I do think it will be a tight match. Germany has played well at times, but has struggled at times, too.

red
07-10-2014, 05:58 PM
if the germans were missing their top player and argentina was missing their top guy, then i would say germany walks all over them

but messi has the ability to have a game for the ages and dominate the field

messi is the key imo, but i'm still going with the krauts

pbmax
07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
The Dutch made Messi miserable yesterday. They need someone else to take advantage and open up something.

Funny how narratives changed though. Through the round robin and the first knockout game, everyone thought Germany looked average for them.

Joemailman
07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm just glad the Dutch are out. That greatly improves the chances we'll see a goal before penalty kicks. I agree with Freak that if Argentina can play tough D Messi could win it.

Cheesehead Craig
07-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Goooooooooooooooooo Deutschland!!!!

wootah
07-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Amusing to see all the World War references when the US played Belgium, just now to see the majority root for the Germans :)

Funny how narratives changed though. Through the round robin and the first knockout game, everyone thought Germany looked average for them.

The last WC's & EC's Germany with these players was always steamrolling through the first games, only to collapse once the playoffs started, it seems they switched strategies now. They have the potential to be dominaned, but I guess Argentina will play like they did against Holland: very sober with the main focus on organisation. If Germany scores quickly, they will be in big trouble.

Freak Out
07-11-2014, 01:57 AM
What is the injury status for both teams? I heard the guy who saved the game with that tackle on Robben "tore his anus".

Joemailman
07-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Amusing to see all the World War references when the US played Belgium, just now to see the majority root for the Germans :)

That's because Argentina gave refuge to so many Nazis after the war. Damn Peron! :smack:

wootah
07-11-2014, 04:27 PM
What is the injury status for both teams? I heard the guy who saved the game with that tackle on Robben "tore his anus".

I think wist will blame the post-game celebrations for that one.

Di Maria is getting prepared to play according to the reports: that'd increase Argentina's chances. Germany seems 100% healthy.

pbmax
07-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Zonal Marking guy's (Michael Cox) preview for ESPN FC.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactics-and-analysis/67/post/1945075/germanys-and-argentinas-contrasting-styles-of-winning-possession-will-be-key

Past (2010) Is Prologue

That semifinal (2010 Spain vs. Germany), however, was fascinating. It pitted a possession-based Spain side against a counterattacking Germany, and the game took an obvious pattern: Spain held on to the ball for long periods, continually putting pressure on the German back line and trying to find an angle for a clever through ball. Germany sat back much deeper, invited the pressure, then attempted to counterattack. At 0-0, both approaches were equally viable.

At 1-0, things changed. Carles Puyol's header put Spain in front; his teammates then played keep-ball for the remainder of the second half. The limitations to Germany's approach became clear -- they'd spent the game sitting deep and waiting for Spanish moves to break down. Now they had to push higher up the pitch and win possession themselves. They were unaccustomed to pressing, and their efforts late in the game were surprisingly feeble for such a young, energetic side.

Pressing Up High To Defend

Spain didn't simply give Germany a lesson in passing back in 2010. They educated them in pressing too. The most interesting statistic from that 1-0 semifinal victory concerned Xavi Hernandez's performance. He completed the most passes, as we came to expect, but he also ran the farthest distance.

What happened to that old saying that the ball does the work, and you have to run farther if you don't have possession? It was nonsense. Spain were able to dominate possession because they were mobile too, pressing high up and forcing quick turnovers. Xavi was always leading the pressure, always pointing to teammates behind him to push higher up. Germany have learned from him and his Spanish teammates.

Argentina Are The Reverse

On the other hand, Argentina are the opposite. They've always been cautious under Alejandro Sabella but have made a defensive shift in this tournament and are basically a very static, structured 4-4-1-1 system....

It's much less interesting, but it can be equally effective -- like Spain four years ago and Italy in 2006, Argentina have reached the final having not conceded a single goal in the knockout stage. That in itself is highly surprising considering how Argentina's back four was considered their weak link at the start of the competition. In a way, it still is -- they've simply hidden them well, protecting them keenly with four disciplined midfielders, including the best holding midfielder in the tournament, Javier Mascherano.

How Is It Decided?

This, therefore, is the most interesting tactical feature of this final. It's not so much about what to do with possession -- both teams can counterattack, both can retain the ball in midfield, both can attack through the middle and down the flanks. The difference is how the two sides win possession in the first place and arguably the key question in modern football strategy is simple: Do you concede space behind your defensive block like Germany, or in front of your defensive block like Argentina?

woodbuck27
07-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I just can't .....I won't .... I cannot ....I refuse to pull for any team now but.............................. Argentina.

GO Argentina GO !!!!

Guiness
07-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Brazil just looks like they just plain old to not want to be there. In their defense, it should be 0-0. Robben got a call on a bad dive...apparently a hand on the shoulder makes your legs fly out from under you...and the second goal was offside. Blind's goal was a thing of beauty though.

wootah
07-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Brazil just looks like they just plain old to not want to be there. In their defense, it should be 0-0. Robben got a call on a bad dive...apparently a hand on the shoulder makes your legs fly out from under you...and the second goal was offside. Blind's goal was a thing of beauty though.

That first penalty should be a foul outside the box + a red card for Silva. Robben exaggerates, but the foul is clear IMO. 2nd goal blunder by Luiz; never head the ball back to the center in front of your own goal. Should've given away a corner there.

Guiness
07-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Fernandino with a yellow card shortly after being subbed in, then a few minutes later narrowly avoids a second after a tackle on Van Robben that the referee awarded a free kick for. Brazilians being very physical.

Guiness
07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
That first penalty should be a foul outside the box + a red card for Silva. Robben exaggerates, but the foul is clear IMO. 2nd goal blunder by Luiz; never head the ball back to the center in front of your own goal. Should've given away a corner there.

Absolutely it was a foul, I was mearly commenting on the pirouette Van Robben did. A red card though? Maybe, you could say he was obstructing a goal scoring opportunity. Second goal was a very lazy clear, it was a nice play by Blind, but he had time to tee it up, pull the driver out of his bag and hammer it down the fairway.

Cool - Oscar with a card for diving. Announcer just said it's the first this WC. I'm surprised, because although it was a dive, there was contact and I've seen worse this WC. Dutch player gets stretchered off on the play, not sure what happened.

Guiness
07-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Jesus, Van Robben with two BRUTAL dives at and just after the 74 minute mark. He's the one the ref should be awarding a yellow card to.

edit: and again, and the announcers just called him the flying Dutchman.

Freak Out
07-12-2014, 04:41 PM
The not beautiful game.

wootah
07-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Absolutely it was a foul, I was mearly commenting on the pirouette Van Robben did. A red card though? Maybe, you could say he was obstructing a goal scoring opportunity. Second goal was a very lazy clear, it was a nice play by Blind, but he had time to tee it up, pull the driver out of his bag and hammer it down the fairway.

Nicely put away from Blind indeed. If it's the last remaining defender who commits the foul on an attacker en route to goal, it's always a red normally.

Joemailman
07-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Not including penalty kicks, Dutch finished World Cup by not giving up a goal for the last 370+ minutes.

Guiness
07-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsuYssoTw0

pbmax
07-12-2014, 10:57 PM
1. Call on di Maria should not have been penalty kick and should have been red (at least red according to the analyst and the writeup at Yahoo!). This ref was clueless all match. But he was so unpredictable, he largely kept the game from going sideways until the end.

2. Oscar barely dived after actually getting hit. There were players diving after contact 2 steps AFTER the contact. Terrible judgements.

3. Brazil had some chances but could not find the net.

Guiness
07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
German player goes down from a vicious shoulder to the chin. No way does he not have a concussion. No whistle or card, Germany playing with 10 men while he's on the sidelines with the trainer trying to walk it off.

Joemailman
07-13-2014, 02:33 PM
German player goes down from a vicious shoulder to the chin. No way does he not have a concussion. No whistle or card, Germany playing with 10 men while he's on the sidelines with the trainer trying to walk it off.

He just came out, and looked like he didn't know where he was.

I'm impressed with Argentina so far.

Joemailman
07-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Germany probably sorry to see the half come to an end. They were really attacking there at the end.

Guiness
07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
He just came out, and looked like he didn't know where he was.

I'm impressed with Argentina so far.

Yes, saw that - he was almost the cause of a goal at the 40th just before he came off. I don't know how he was able to function as well as he did, he looked like he was going to puke.

FIFA's a pretty old, conservative body, but I think they should move on this subject, it's a player safety issue. Coach didn't take him off because he didn't want to burn one of his substitutions. If there was a doctor on the sidelines that said he couldn't go back in because of a concussion, he should not be allowed to go back in, and they should be allowed a free substitution.

pbmax
07-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Yes, saw that - he was almost the cause of a goal at the 40th just before he came off. I don't know how he was able to function as well as he did, he looked like he was going to puke.

FIFA's a pretty old, conservative body, but I think they should move on this subject, it's a player safety issue. Coach didn't take him off because he didn't want to burn one of his substitutions. If there was a doctor on the sidelines that said he couldn't go back in because of a concussion, he should not be allowed to go back in, and they should be allowed a free substitution.

I think he rattled the brain pan again when he bumped unexpectedly into someone on his side of the field. That was shortly before he came back out.

Argentina, for a team that is supposed to have trouble in the back, have been defending like madmen. Now if they could just pass out of midfield.

pbmax
07-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Germany took a big rest from attacking and pressing at the end of that half. Are they tired or were they conserving their energy?

pbmax
07-13-2014, 04:37 PM
That was a beautiful goal Germany scored. Much better than penalty kicks.

Cheesehead Craig
07-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Goooooooooooooooooo Deutschland!!!!

What he said.

Joemailman
07-13-2014, 04:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNhVrSbF0pI

Teamcheez1
07-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Argentina has scored 1 goal in the last three games, over 300 minutes ago. Glad to see Germany win.

Guiness
07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
That was a beautiful goal Germany scored. Much better than penalty kicks.

It was, played it off his chest, directly to his foot. I tried that outside the bar on the way home after watching the game and fell over :glug:

red
07-13-2014, 05:11 PM
the best team won IMHO, you need to score to win and argentina hasn't scored in awhile

what a goal by gotze, amazing control and concentration

red
07-13-2014, 05:19 PM
and the germans are still a pretty young team, other then klose, that entire team will be back in 2018

scary just how much talent they have

i think the US needs to start doing some digging to find out if podolski's mom was maybe knocked up by an american GI way back when. the guy can't get on the field for germany, but he'd be a GOD on team USA

Joemailman
07-13-2014, 08:57 PM
and the germans are still a pretty young team, other then klose, that entire team will be back in 2018

scary just how much talent they have

i think the US needs to start doing some digging to find out if podolski's mom was maybe knocked up by an american GI way back when. the guy can't get on the field for germany, but he'd be a GOD on team USA

He was born in Poland, so he could play for them. But then he wouldn't get to play in the WC, unless he would do enough to enable them to qualify.

red
07-14-2014, 02:32 PM
anyone else disagree with messi getting player of the cup?

i like messi and all, but he did nothing after the group stage

there were quite a few other players that had much better tourney's imo

robben and James Rodríguez are two obvious ones, muller is another one that had a better cup imo

giving it to messi after he was invisible for the whole final (and the 3 previous games) just seemed odd

Joemailman
07-14-2014, 04:08 PM

robben and James Rodríguez are two obvious ones, muller is another one that had a better cup imo

giving it to messi after he was invisible for the whole final (and the 3 previous games) just seemed odd

Maradona agrees with you. http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/07/14/diego-maradona-lionel-messi-unworthy-golden-ball

I didn't see Colombia's matches, so I can't really comment on Rodriguez, although he certainly had the stats. I would have voted for Muller.

Guiness
07-14-2014, 04:24 PM

I don't see how he gets it considering Argentina didn't score for 2 full games, so at least 240 minutes, including the overtime periods. It also wasn't him that scored in the quarterfinal game, but his team did so he gets a pass. I think the decision to give it to him was and Elizabeth Taylor-like past performances Oscar.

Tough to give it to Rodriguez when his team didn't make it past the quarterfinals, and the way Brazil got taken apart by Germany doesn't help his case.

Muller deserves consideration - he was a strong presence throughout the tournament, and had an impact on the final.

red
07-14-2014, 05:08 PM
maybe they should have given it to schweinsteiger, just for the all out ass kicking he took yesterday.

after halftime it seemed like every other minute he was either drilled in the face, or had one of his knees taken out from under him

he got the shit kicked out of him, but he kept getting back up. thats one tough dude

also, anyone else think FIFA might look into helmets after all the head to head collisions yesterday? i've never seen that many in a game before

pbmax
07-14-2014, 05:12 PM
The German was out on his feet twice. He shouldn't have gone back in.

wootah
07-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Robben or Neuer should have gotten it.

Helmets: no way :D How can you control a header whilst wearing a helmet?!

wootah
07-14-2014, 05:15 PM
The German was out on his feet twice. He shouldn't have gone back in.

Agree. Was a similar situation as with the Uruguayan. Doc should have taken him out.

pbmax
07-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Robben or Neuer should have gotten it.

Helmets: no way :D How can you control a header whilst wearing a helmet?!

Get one made by Michelin or Pirelli.

Joemailman
07-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Agree. Was a similar situation as with the Uruguayan. Doc should have taken him out.

Do they need to change the substitution rules? If a player who is injured can re-enter the game later, it would allow teams to do a more thorough medical evaluation of the player.

Guiness
07-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Do they need to change the substitution rules? If a player who is injured can re-enter the game later, it would allow teams to do a more thorough medical evaluation of the player.

They'll be wary of that, it means a fundamental change to the game. They'll be, rightfully so, afraid of abuse of a rule change like that one. If they won't or can't stop the diving and rolling around that goes on, how are they going to police that?

One card for diving the whole tournament is a joke.

wootah
07-15-2014, 02:02 AM
I know they spoke about helmets for goalies, after a couple of horrible collisions in the past. That I would understand: they do not need to head often and when they do it's with maximum power, not max precision. Petr Cech, one of the best in the world plays with one after suffering a serious head injury.

No matter what helmet, that hit Kramer took in the final completely twisted his head which caused the KO so even the Cech helmet cannot solve that. You need one of these F1 helmet with straps, but good look running around with that :)

woodbuck27
07-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Mae and I watched the Championship Game at Station Sportsd Bar and Dining in Brossard, Quebec. This place is unreal with 133 HD TV sets up everywhere adn the joint was rockin'.

I was amazed at the number of fans there cheering for Germany. The two loudest cherrs were for the disallowed Argentine goal and the big goal for Gremany that won the game. Those cheers were deafening.

Overall I felt that the game was dull compared to all the action we enjoyed otherwise in the tournament.