PDA

View Full Version : The Green Bay Packers were fortunate CB Sam Shields did not get away to another team in FA.

woodbuck27
06-10-2014, 09:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/129704/packers-fortunate-shields-did-not-get-away

Packers fortunate Shields did not get away

GREEN BAY, Wis. --

" Sam Shields was all set to board a plane for Cleveland, Ohio, the minute NFL free agency was scheduled to open on March 11.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, had been talking to the Browns -- among other teams -- early in the three-day negotiating period before teams could visit or sign with new teams.

Sam Shields signed a four-year, $39 million deal to remain in Green Bay this offseason. That's how close the Green Bay Packers came to losing perhaps their best cornerback. " Fr. LINK

Please click on the LINK for the entire story.

Guiness
06-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I believe this in a heartbeat. I was scared he'd be gone, big G tattoo and all.

The RFA tender he played for last year was mentioned. I wonder why those negotiations broke down.

Fritz
06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I wonder if the sorry-ass state of that organization played a role in his decision.

Probably the president of the Browns called Rosenhaus and said they had a six-year, 12 mill-a-year guaranteed contract waiting for Shields to sign, and right after Rosenhaus hung up, the Cleveland GM called and said they weren't interested in Shields at all.

Joemailman
06-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I suspect Shields gave the Packers a chance to match (or nearly so) the best offer he had from other teams. His preference probably was to stay in Green Bay because of his relationship with Whitt.

Guiness
06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
I wonder if the sorry-ass state of that organization played a role in his decision.

Probably the president of the Browns called Rosenhaus and said they had a six-year, 12 mill-a-year guaranteed contract waiting for Shields to sign, and right after Rosenhaus hung up, the Cleveland GM called and said they weren't interested in Shields at all.

And the coach said they wanted to convert him to a Safety.

Guiness
06-12-2014, 01:57 PM

In another example of Browns management not communicating, Pettine said that Hoyer is the #1QB, but the lead is not insurmountable. About a week after Farmer said Hoyer was ahead by a substantial margin.

Brandon494
06-12-2014, 04:27 PM
I believe this in a heartbeat. I was scared he'd be gone, big G tattoo and all.

The RFA tender he played for last year was mentioned. I wonder why those negotiations broke down.

Not me, TT doesn't let young talent walk. Once they start getting around 30 he'll let them go if they are looking for big money.

Brandon494
06-12-2014, 04:29 PM
And the coach said they wanted to convert him to a Safety.

Where did you read that? That move would make no sense.

pbmax
06-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Where did you read that? That move would make no sense.

Guin is making fun of the Browns having three different plans among Owner, GM and the HC.

Guiness
06-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Guin is making fun of the Browns having three different plans among Owner, GM and the HC.
:thank:

Carolina_Packer
06-12-2014, 10:23 PM
It's kind of like the old phrase, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" If you can't keep your story straight, don't tell one." Can you imagine Murphy (closest thing the Pack has to an owner) or Thompson ever commenting in the press who might be ahead on the depth chart at any position? Everyone except Mike Pettine, just shut up!

woodbuck27
06-13-2014, 10:02 AM
In another example of Browns management not communicating, Pettine said that Hoyer is the #1QB, but the lead is not insurmountable. About a week after Farmer said Hoyer was ahead by a substantial margin.

They've been talking about that on NFL Total Access this morning.

Is anyone really surprized?

Pugger
06-13-2014, 10:30 AM
I suspect Shields gave the Packers a chance to match (or nearly so) the best offer he had from other teams. His preference probably was to stay in Green Bay because of his relationship with Whitt.

I would also wager he is grateful to the Packers for giving him the opportunity to play back when he was a rookie after nobody drafted him.

woodbuck27
06-13-2014, 10:32 AM
I would also wager he is grateful to the Packers for giving him the opportunity to play back when he was a rookie after nobody drafted him.

I'd wager it was in the greatest part.... "all about the money".

TT ensured Sam Shields remained in Green Bay; paying him extremely well.

Patler
06-13-2014, 11:08 AM
I'd wager it was in the greatest part.... "all about the money".

TT ensured Sam Shields remained in Green Bay; paying him extremely well.

Ya, it's funny how pro sports work, isn't it?. So often it comes out that the player always had a deep seeded desire to play for the team that just happened to offer the best contract. :-)

Reggie White talked about God guiding him, the appeal of playing with Favre, any number of other things. Of course, GB also offered the biggest contract, which I am sure had little influence on his decision.

Fritz
06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
That's how God guided Reggie to Green Bay - he showed him the trail of zeroes on GB's contract offer...