PDA

View Full Version : Reasonless Rooting

Fritz
06-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Okay, every year I find myself rooting for certain players, with no real reason to do so. They're just guys you find yourself liking better than others.

Here's the parameter for this: they're guys that haven't quite made it big, guys you hope will be, but have not been yet, the next really good starter.

For me, back when he was drafted, James Jones was one of those types. And he did make it and become a really darn good player, so that was satisfying.

On the other hand, I was rooting like crazy for Justin Harrell, and we all know how that turned out.

So pick two or three young vets you really are rooting for, and maybe a couple rooks.

Here are mine:

Derrick Sherrod
JC Tretter
Nick Perry

And a couple of rooks:

Davante Adams
Janis, from Saginaw Valley

Who are yours?

QBME
06-11-2014, 06:38 AM
Sean Richardson
David Bakhtiari

Joemailman
06-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Sherrod - He's a talented guy who's had some bad luck.

Hyde - Seems born to be a football player.

Tretter - So people can stop fretting about the Center position.

Ha Ha - So I can taunt my Bear fan relatives over the fact the Bears didn't draft him.

Rodgers - How can you not root for a Rodgers to Rodgers connection.

Thornton - Gotta love a kid from Mississippi who has always been a Packer fan.

Fritz
06-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Sean Richardson
David Bakhtiari

Yeah, Richardson's on my list, too. Forgot to name him. He seems really talented, in terms of workout numbers and all that. And now maybe he's healthy, and maybe he understands the defense. It'll be fun if he stays healthy, to see how good he might be.

I'm kinda rooting for Jerel Worthy, too, though even when he was healthy his rookie year for a stretch he didn't do jack squat.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Derek Sherrod
Nick Perry
Jamari Lattimore
Jake Doughty
Colt Lyerla

Tony Oday
06-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Colt
Bak
Hawk

woodbuck27
06-11-2014, 09:44 AM
** Richard Rodgers who can prove the Nay Sayers wrong. He's off to a big start and that can "only' help improve the Teams status at the TE slot as others must try to keep up.

** Maybe we will see both Richard Rodgers and Colt Lyeria add depth at TE? Lyeria is a gifted athlete and I see no reason why, if he's dialed in, that he won't make the roster.

** WR/ KR/ PR Jared Abbrederis because this fella is a gamer and finds a way to step up. He can play WR but also return punts. The Green Bay Packers ST's needs to improve there.

In the 2011 season Jared Abbrederis ranked third in the country returning punts ( avg. 15.8 yards / punt return) for second-best in a single season in Wisconsin history.. He recorded a 60-yard punt return TD against Indiana on October 15, 2011. Jared Abbrederis also can return kicks. He was a gifted hurdler in T & F in University and will compete well as a ST addition..

** I'm pulling for LB Carl Bradford to make the roster and add ILB depth.

** I want to see the Packers DB play improve a lot. I'm going for an underdog as a Safety prospect in Tanner Miller an UFA out of Iowa.

Vets:

** Datone Jones who lives in Green Bay now and every day works hard to improve and demonstrate he has something to prove.

** I want to see Julius Peppers make a big difference on the Green Bay Packers "D".

Smidgeon
06-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Perry
HaHa
Adams
Janis
Sherrod
Tretter
...and now that Rodgers kid from Cal. Been hearing good things about him.

Brandon494
06-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I like to root for guys who aren't locks...

Colt
Janis
Hubbard

run pMc
06-11-2014, 10:35 AM
three young vets you really are rooting for, and maybe a couple rooks
Sherrod
Perry
Tretter

HHCD
Colt

List coulda been a lot longer, but limiting to 5 per instructions.

Guiness
06-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Reasonless Routing. Sounds like something practiced after last call at college bars.

Tony Oday
06-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Reasonless Routing. Sounds like something practiced after last call at college bars.

Isnt that rutting?

pbmax
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Hayward - Health and return to form

Perry - Health and return to form

Sherrod - Health and discovering a form

smuggler
06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Rodgers, Matthews, Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Sherrod/Tretter, DuJuan Harris, Lyerla, Hayward, HaHa, Lattimore, Richardson, Burnett

Guiness
06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Hayward for sure, so much promise shown his rookie season.
Andy Mulumba - crazy body type, perfect for the hybrid player (we're not allowed to say tweener anymore, right?)
Myles White! - my dark horse, for some reason would love to see this guy shine. Crowded position though!

And I'm going to break the rules and give an honorable mention to Mathews. Here's to hoping he is healthy for TC.

Fritz
06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
My two favorites in this category are probably Perry and Sherrod, followed by Richardson, whom I'd forgotten originally, and Davante Adams. I just think that guy's gonna be a stud.

Just Jeff
06-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Ted Thompson
Mark Murphy
Mike McCarthy

Smidgeon
06-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I like to root for guys who aren't locks...

Colt
Janis
Hubbard

And Colt. Forgot about him, but I am rooting for him.

ThunderDan
06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Lacy, Hayward, HHCD, Shields and Sherrod.

I even bought my first Packer jersey as an adult, #27.

sharpe1027
06-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Franklin, the forgotten man.

Fritz
06-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Franklin, the forgotten man.

Who?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrCAqwzdFd1KoIXtbmTEdz83gIvKzoG 8Zf4sk9sAySSiguYCJpGA

texaspackerbacker
06-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Datone and HaHa because I campaigned for them to be drafted;

Mulumba for no apparent reason;

Tolzien and Abbrederis - Go Badgers!

Quarless - he's more of a "normal" kind of TE, which I like.

Tramon - gotta love a great cover corner - hopefully he still is.

Aaron Rodgers (and Brett Favre) - when all is said and done, quite possibly the two greatest QBs - make that PLAYERS - in the history of the NFL - and WE had the pleasure of rooting for them for a generation or more now.

Carolina_Packer
06-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Jerry Tagge
Eric Torkelson
Steve Odom

Sorry, that was 1974...

-Casey Hayward and Shaun Richardson (I have Vandy ties and saw a couple of their games in person)
-Micah Hyde and Mike Daniels (I was born in WI, but was moved to Iowa by the time I started following football...go Hawks) I hope Tanner Miller makes it, Woody, but it's a real long shot.
-Derek Sherrod...how it must gnaw at him to have gone through so much to even get a shot at the pros and to have gotten injured like he did just stinks. I hope he wins the Mike Flanagan award; another former Packer who had a gnarly leg injury before he came back and made it on the Packers. I just used two words that start with gn in the same post (gnaw and gnarly...beat that :-)

Maxie the Taxi
06-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Alex Gillett

BZnDallas
06-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Jerry Tagge
Eric Torkelson
Steve Odom

Sorry, that was 1974...

-Casey Hayward and Shaun Richardson (I have Vandy ties and saw a couple of their games in person)
-Micah Hyde and Mike Daniels (I was born in WI, but was moved to Iowa by the time I started following football...go Hawks) I hope Tanner Miller makes it, Woody, but it's a real long shot.
-Derek Sherrod...how it must gnaw at him to have gone through so much to even get a shot at the pros and to have gotten injured like he did just stinks. I hope he wins the Mike Flanagan award; another former Packer who had a gnarly leg injury before he came back and made it on the Packers. I just used two words that start with gn in the same post (gnaw and gnarly...beat that :-)

That gnat just gnawed on that gnarly gnome!

*does it count if I use two of your words?

Bretsky
06-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Nick Perry..........high upside if he has the skillset in this defense
Colt Lyerla.........incredibly talented dude
Devanta Adams....another guy with huge upsidezzz
Abbrederis...........surrounded by Badger detractors I want to see this guy overachieve as he always has

And Chris Borland.....because I've always bought into his film as opposed to him measurable and want to be right.....lol

Unlike most, I'd like to move on and let Fluffy find another home

KYPack
06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Couple ILB's, Jamari Lattimore and Sam Barrington. Both guys got a bit of hype, flashed a bit and got hurt. I'd like to see 'em both blossom but I'll take one fully coming into his own.

Also Andy Lumumba, OLB. He showed me a lot hobbling around on one leg when he should have been on the pine, but we were out of backers.

C'mon boys, flash and play like hell for the GG.

bobblehead
06-12-2014, 02:01 AM
Sherrod is where my list begins and ends. Its not senseless, its because LT is so damn important and he has all the physical tools necessary.

I think he is the opposite of Bacteria. Bak battles, gets beat slowly, rarely blown up. Fundamentally pretty sound, but not big nor strong enough to play LT in the NFL. Sherrod has the skill set to engulf and make guys disappear, but he is still a bit raw in his technique. Messing with him at Guard and the right side was flat out stupid. He quacks like a fucking LT, don't make him bark. He likely will whiff in ways Bak rarely did, but he has the physique and tools to dominate. They need to get him the reps, watch him fail (and he will at times) and see if it pisses him off enough to become dominant like he can be.

When they gave ARod the job I said that I would cringe when he holds the ball too long because all first year starting QB's do. I also said it was the only way to find out if he could become a good QB. Same goes for Sherrod now. He needs to play, play often, fail at times in order for us to see if he can become an NFL LT. He is the only guy on the roster who can be a legitimate 10 year LT in the NFL, might as well give him a chance.

pbmax
06-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Torkelson? TORKELSON?

That guy owes me money!

vince
06-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Lyerla - would be good to see him turn himself around
Dujuan Harris - from used car salesman to Super Bowl champ

Fritz
06-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Sherrod is where my list begins and ends. Its not senseless, its because LT is so damn important and he has all the physical tools necessary.

I think he is the opposite of Bacteria. Bak battles, gets beat slowly, rarely blown up. Fundamentally pretty sound, but not big nor strong enough to play LT in the NFL. Sherrod has the skill set to engulf and make guys disappear, but he is still a bit raw in his technique. Messing with him at Guard and the right side was flat out stupid. He quacks like a fucking LT, don't make him bark. He likely will whiff in ways Bak rarely did, but he has the physique and tools to dominate. They need to get him the reps, watch him fail (and he will at times) and see if it pisses him off enough to become dominant like he can be.

When they gave ARod the job I said that I would cringe when he holds the ball too long because all first year starting QB's do. I also said it was the only way to find out if he could become a good QB. Same goes for Sherrod now. He needs to play, play often, fail at times in order for us to see if he can become an NFL LT. He is the only guy on the roster who can be a legitimate 10 year LT in the NFL, might as well give him a chance.

I agree. I think he needs to play, and play a lot, this pre-season, so the team has some idea what they've got in this guy. Of course, part of what makes this so difficult is that Bahkteria needs snaps, too, to show what he's learned and how he's better.

This should be one of the more interesting battles in camp, though Bahk has the edge because he's been in the breech before - coaches trust what they have a history with. It'll be hard for Sherrod to unseat him, but I hope it happens, because Sherrod has the potential to be very, very good, and not just okay or reasonable.

Freak Out
06-12-2014, 01:20 PM

Good choices Vince.

red
06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
i'll be rooting for HaCD because we really need him to be a stud

then the rookie from ASU, i really hope he becomes an ILB and takes over jones job sooner rather then later

bobblehead
06-12-2014, 03:54 PM
I agree. I think he needs to play, and play a lot, this pre-season, so the team has some idea what they've got in this guy. Of course, part of what makes this so difficult is that Bahkteria needs snaps, too, to show what he's learned and how he's better.

This should be one of the more interesting battles in camp, though Bahk has the edge because he's been in the breech before - coaches trust what they have a history with. It'll be hard for Sherrod to unseat him, but I hope it happens, because Sherrod has the potential to be very, very good, and not just okay or reasonable.

I agree with your assessment of what will happen, but it shouldn't. Bahk is never going to be a 10 year LT. He simply isn't massive enough. Everything from a giant slide step and long reach to beat speed rushers to great size to take on the bull rusher, Bahk lacks. He will be a very good guard or RT when we use him there. He will never be a "very good" or even "good" LT. Sherrod might not be either at this point, but you have to find out now.

bobblehead
06-12-2014, 03:55 PM

I concur on both counts. I love me a good underdog. I tear up on great redemption stories. These two turning their lives around would make me proud of my Green Bay Packers for facilitating it.

Brandon494
06-12-2014, 04:31 PM
I agree with your assessment of what will happen, but it shouldn't. Bahk is never going to be a 10 year LT. He simply isn't massive enough. Everything from a giant slide step and long reach to beat speed rushers to great size to take on the bull rusher, Bahk lacks. He will be a very good guard or RT when we use him there. He will never be a "very good" or even "good" LT. Sherrod might not be either at this point, but you have to find out now.

I would start Bahk over Sherrod unless he has a outstanding training camp which I don't expect. I do see Bahk future as a guard in the future though but not until we find another quality tackle.

Joemailman
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
It would be hard for Sherrod to challenge for the starting position unless Bakh gets hurt. Bakh will be getting the reps in the small amount of time the #1 offense plays in the preseason games. Hopefully Sherrod plays well enough to dominate the 2's.

pbmax
06-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Not having Newhouse around might solve some of the injury problems that have been plaguing the team.

woodbuck27
06-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Lacy, Hayward, HHCD, Shields and Sherrod.

I even bought my first Packer jersey as an adult, #27.

Eddie ...Eddie ..Eddie !

#27 is a great number in Pro Sports.

Check it out to see all "the Greats" that wore that number.

http://lastwordonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/big_M500.jpg

Pictured: The GREATS LHS Sam "Sammy" Pollock (Montreal Canadiens GM and one of the greatest All Time left wingers the Big 'M', Frank Mahovlich after he scored his career 500th goal in the NHL.

WHO WORE NUMBER 27 !?

I'll start right here: Frank " The BIG M " Mahovlich and Darrel Sittler (NHL)

Juan Marichal, Carlton Fisk, Catfish Hunter, Scott Rolen, and Vladimir "Vlady" Guerrero (MLB)

Pugger
06-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I would start Bahk over Sherrod unless he has a outstanding training camp which I don't expect. I do see Bahk future as a guard in the future though but not until we find another quality tackle.

How can you say for certain Sherrod won't have a good/outstanding camp? None of us have seen him play more than a handful of snaps since we drafted him. I'm gonna hope for the best and wait and see. I am eager to see him and the team this year at TC. I plan on attending at least one practice while I'm in town this summer.

Fritz
06-13-2014, 01:30 PM
It'll be tough for Sherrod, but maybe Joe's right: Bahk has too much of a head start, and enough history/trust with the coaches, that Sherrod doesn't have much chance to win the starting gig, at least not right away. But if he can show that he's getting better every week, he can clear the way for his future.

By the way, I recall coaches - MM even, I think - saying that after Sherrod had his effed up surgery corrected, he came back having re-formed his body completely - he's now muscled, and much stronger in his legs and up top.

Carolina_Packer
06-14-2014, 08:09 AM
It'll be tough for Sherrod, but maybe Joe's right: Bahk has too much of a head start, and enough history/trust with the coaches, that Sherrod doesn't have much chance to win the starting gig, at least not right away. But if he can show that he's getting better every week, he can clear the way for his future.

By the way, I recall coaches - MM even, I think - saying that after Sherrod had his effed up surgery corrected, he came back having re-formed his body completely - he's now muscled, and much stronger in his legs and up top.

I hope for the team's sake of realizing a return on their 1st round investment that this guy comes back with a chip on his shoulder (no surgery needed). I hope for his professional fulfillment that Sherrod doesn't just hold down a roster spot, but pushes for a starting job. I hope for Rodgers sake he can be part of a far better protection scheme. Go Derek!

RUnuts
06-14-2014, 08:54 AM
I think Sam Barrington is going to surprise people.

esoxx
06-14-2014, 09:41 AM
I think Sam Barrington is going to surprise people.

RUnuts?!?

Just Jeff
06-14-2014, 09:56 AM
I hope for the team's sake of realizing a return on their 1st round investment that this guy comes back with a chip on his shoulder (no surgery needed).

Now you jinxed it.

Bleacher report, 10/17/2014: Sherrod - doubtful (shoulder chip), AJ Hawk - probable (heart), Matthews - out (again).

Bretsky
06-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Now you jinxed it.

Bleacher report, 10/17/2014: Sherrod - doubtful (shoulder chip), AJ Hawk - probable (heart), Matthews - out (again).

Tough to call ita jinx when this has been the norm :)

bobblehead
06-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Bahk has a headstart at being a crappy LT, I concur. The only reason he gets all this love is because fans are comparing him to Newhouse. Go back and watch some packer games and be totally honest while assessing Bahk. He just isn't cut out for LT.

mraynrand
06-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Now you jinxed it.

I always knew Hawk lacked heart.

mraynrand
06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Now you jinxed it.

funny. Gud one.

Carolina_Packer
06-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Chase Rettig is the 4th ranked QB in Boston College school history behind Doug Flutie, Glenn Foley, and some guy named Matt Ryan, and TT gets him as a college free agent. Check him out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAd_d3awTA He's got a little bit of athleticism, and swagger. Does he remind you of anyone? My reasonless rooting is for him to push Tolzien and show what he can do in pre-season, forcing the staff to notice him as a developmental QB.

woodbuck27
06-24-2014, 05:04 AM
Chase Rettig is the 4th ranked QB in Boston College school history behind Doug Flutie, Glenn Foley, and some guy named Matt Ryan, and TT gets him as a college free agent. Check him out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAd_d3awTA He's got a little bit of athleticism, and swagger. Does he remind you of anyone? My reasonless rooting is for him to push Tolzien and show what he can do in pre-season, forcing the staff to notice him as a developmental QB.

I'm surprized that he went undrafted. This QB prospect has game.

Looking at his feet work. He reminds me somewhat of Brett Favre.

The way he creates space to make a pass he reminds me more of Brett Favre.

Carolina_Packer
06-25-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm surprized that he went undrafted. This QB prospect has game.

Looking at his feet work. He reminds me somewhat of Brett Favre.

The way he creates space to make a pass he reminds me more of Brett Favre.

Funny that you bring up Favre. That's exactly what I was thinking when I watched the clip. It's what you said, but also just his presence, his game intensity, and obvious competitive spirit. Can we call him Chase Brettig if he keeps looking like Favre? Just kidding. I hope he gets a shot this pre-season. Lately it's been tough for our back-up QB's to show out in those games. I know it's gotta be tough learning the system, playing with other prospects, little to no continuity, but individual talent should be on display.