PDA

View Full Version : Another writer fails to do proper research/analysis

Patler
06-13-2014, 08:50 AM
From Greg Gabriel at National Football Post:

Green Bay has always had a strong but underrated offensive line. They lost center Evan Dietrich-Smith in free agency and the new center will be either last year’s draft choice, J.C. Tretter, or 2014 draft choice Cory Linsley. Tretter played tackle in college and has the traits to play center or guard in the NFL.

T.J. Lang holds down the right guard spot while Josh Sitton will compete with the loser of the Tretter-Linsley battle for the left guard spot.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-the-NFC-North-still-Green-Bays-to-lose.html

So, Lang is a lock at RG, and Sitton will be challenged by who ever of Tretter and Linsley isn't the starting center?

Makes you wonder about his overall conclusion that the Packers best shot at the playoffs is as a wild card, and that the Bears will win the division.

Just Jeff
06-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I can't imagine that there would be competition for any guard spot. We have the top interior Oline in the NFL

smuggler
06-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Wow.... yes, our best offensive lineman will be beaten out by the backup center and the Bears will make the playoffs. Dream on, Chicago fans. Dream that impossible dream.

woodbuck27
06-13-2014, 09:41 AM
If Aaron Rodgers remains healthy the Green Bay Packers will win the NFCN.

Zool
06-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I can't imagine that there would be competition for any guard spot. We have the top interior Oline in the NFL

Yes yes, and if your sister was your mom with a dick you'd call her Fred....or something like that.

Get a new schtick.

Pugger
06-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Heck, in most circles - except the idiot Gabriel who wrote this - Sitton is considered a top 5 guard in the entire league. Lang is also a highly regarded. This clown has no clue and I don't take his ramblings seriously.

Patler
06-13-2014, 10:56 AM

I assume you are being sarcastic. I wasn't ridiculing the thought that one of the guards could face a challenge. I would not be shocked if Tretter or Linsley (or someone else) challenges for a guard position eventually. That wasn't my point. If and when the challenge occurs, as of their play until now, Lang will be the one susceptible to being replaced long before Sitton. To say that Lang will hold down the RG spot while Sitton will be challenged by the loser of the center battle shows an outrageous lack of understanding of the O-line players for GB, especially for someone writing an analytic argument.

I suspect the writer remembered the the Packer RG had pro-bowl credentials a couple years ago, so he went to the Packers depth chart, saw Lang at RG, and made the conclusion we read. Too bad he didn't remember that the RG with pro-bowl credentials is now the LG in GB. It demonstrates a tremendous lack of knowledge about the subject of his article.

Fritz
06-13-2014, 01:27 PM
This sort of thing aggravates the heck out of me, especially when it comes to professional game announcers and highly-paid TV analysts. It's your job to know the details of each team's roster. So this fall, don't say that Marshall Newhouse just made a block, when it's actually the guy who took Newhouse's number, and don't say that current backup Don Barclay played pretty well at left tackle last year.

denverYooper
06-13-2014, 01:31 PM

You really have no grasp of elementary propositional calculus, do you?

Patler
06-13-2014, 01:35 PM
This sort of thing aggravates the heck out of me, especially when it comes to professional game announcers and highly-paid TV analysts. It's your job to know the details of each team's roster. So this fall, don't say that Marshall Newhouse just made a block, when it's actually the guy who took Newhouse's number, and don't say that current backup Don Barclay played pretty well at left tackle last year.

I agree 100%. It seems like there isn't a very high standard for accuracy anymore, even among writers/announcers with national exposure.

pbmax
06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
From Greg Gabriel at National Football Post:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-the-NFC-North-still-Green-Bays-to-lose.html

So, Lang is a lock at RG, and Sitton will be challenged by who ever of Tretter and Linsley isn't the starting center?

Makes you wonder about his overall conclusion that the Packers best shot at the playoffs is as a wild card, and that the Bears will win the division.

That might be the right prognostication if you sit your Pro Bowlers on a regular basis as he is suggesting.

pbmax
06-13-2014, 05:10 PM
You really have no grasp of elementary propositional calculus, do you?

The comment itself does not need to be internally consistent since its an extrapolation of other comments, interpolated incorrectly, to produce maximum confusion and anger.

vince
06-13-2014, 07:06 PM
The comment itself does not need to be internally consistent since its an extrapolation of other comments, interpolated incorrectly, to produce maximum confusion and anger.That's a really good definition of trolling right there PB. It's almost as if Jeff's attempting to sabotage and degrade the discourse here to chase people away toward other Packer message boards or something. Weird.

mraynrand
06-13-2014, 07:31 PM
That's a really good definition of trolling right there PB. It's almost as if Jeff's attempting to sabotage and degrade the discourse here to chase people away toward other Packer message boards or something. Weird.

I wondered about this as well. If he's the same guy as on another board, he's much different and interesting and non-trollish over there.

bobblehead
06-13-2014, 08:01 PM
I wondered about this as well. If he's the same guy as on another board, he's much different and interesting and non-trollish over there.

He started out non trollish, but his posture is changing rapidly.

Just Jeff
06-13-2014, 09:15 PM
He started out non trollish, but his posture is changing rapidly.

Sorry just frustrated with the lack of concern for the only reason we are on the map for the last 20 years, our QBs. TT's plan #1. Draft a bunch of 5-7 round picks to replace the great white wall = Fail. TT plan #2, use some higher picks to replace the great white wall = Fail, but at least its not bad picks, injuries, but still Fail = Fail. I really don't care much about how its done, you have to keep AR vertical. For most of our former QBs tenure, he had little support, but he was protected. I see Sitton and that's all I see. The others are just guys. We got to do better.

BZnDallas
06-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Sorry just frustrated with the lack of concern for the only reason we are on the map for the last 20 years, our QBs. TT's plan #1. Draft a bunch of 5-7 round picks to replace the great white wall = Fail. TT plan #2, use some higher picks to replace the great white wall = Fail, but at least its not bad picks, injuries, but still Fail = Fail. I really don't care much about how its done, you have to keep AR vertical. For most of our former QBs tenure, he had little support, but he was protected. I see Sitton and that's all I see. The others are just guys. We got to do better.

EPIC!

Patler
06-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Two firsts, one second, one third and five fourths in ten drafts isn't exactly ignoring the positions when there are seventeen other starting positions to fill, too. He has also used a bunch of high picks for people for our Qbs to throw to, and even a couple for RB's and one for the QB himself.

At various times people have complained that TT doesn't use enough high picks for defense generally, DBs particularly, or lbs. For a while it was RBs. For some it is OL Some even complain about ignoring the backup QB spot. Simple fact is that he only has had 10 firsts, 10 seconds and 10 thirds to start the draft process with, and 22 starting positions to fill. Everyone is shorted.

gbgary
06-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I agree 100%. It seems like there isn't a very high standard for accuracy anymore, even among writers/announcers with national exposure.

troy.

woodbuck27
06-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Ohh ohh !

mraynrand
06-13-2014, 10:39 PM

Get the frustration, but consider also the positive of focusing on the run game both by picking and retaining decent running backs as well as adjusting the blocking scheme.