PDA

View Full Version : Oh crap, I'm starting to fall for it......

Patler
06-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I hate this time of year. It's always so easy to fall for the propaganda. It is so easy to let your hopes and anticipations from previous years become expectations for the coming season. If I don't catch myself, I start to think that:

- Peppers will be a Reggie White-like signing.
- Peppers really IS the player he was 5-6 years ago, or almost so.
- Brian Bulaga will actually play this year, and make a big difference on the O-line.
- Derek Sherrod will actually play this year, and make a big difference on the O-line.
- Tretter (or Linsley) will be the next really solid GB center.
- GB finally has an O-line that will mature together into one of the best for 4-5 years.
- Boykin really is a starting caliber WR.
- Adams will follow Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb and become really, really good.
- Abbrederis and Janis will each have Donald Driver-like careers.
- Rodgers II is going to be a difference-making pass-catching TE.
- Lyerla will play like the 1st round draft pick he might have been.
- Lacy, Starks & Harris will make defenses play the run 1st, opening the game for Rodgers.
- A balanced "O" will be even more unstoppable than the early season "O" of 2011.
- Datone Jones will become a star.
- Mike Daniels will have a pro-bowl season.
- Raji will play like he did in 2010.
- Worthy will have a season worthy of his draft spot.
- Mike Neal has found himself, and will not be a one-season wonder.
- Perry will have a Neal-like evolution.
- The rogues gallery of LBs (Mulumba, Hubbard, Doughty, etc.) will spawn a star (or two).
- As a group, the cornerbacks will be among the very best in the league.
- Safety will become a position of strength.
- The "new" defense will get the best from everyone, and be top 10 in all categories.

My rational brain tells me not all of these will happen.
On the other hand, if half of them do....................................

RashanGary
06-13-2014, 10:52 AM
We're a tough fan base that expects championships. Not a lot of negativity after ufa or the draft. Even our third round whipping boy of a pick is showing to be a bit of a natural at catching the ball, early. I do think this team is peaking. AR looks extremely fit, on a side-note.

run pMc
06-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Nope. Sorry, he'll be good as an almost full-time player. The Bears leaned on him too much last year -- their DL was a disaster, and he'll bounce back, but I think expecting him to be an All-Pro is asking a lot.

- Brian Bulaga will actually play this year, and make a big difference on the O-line.
I think this happens.

- Derek Sherrod will actually play this year, and make a big difference on the O-line.
I hope he can stay healthy and show enough to stick as backup tackle this year and eventually beat Bahk out for starting LT. That's my hope, but it's questionable that happens.

I think this happens.

- GB finally has an O-line that will mature together into one of the best for 4-5 years.
I think they can be a Top 10 OL, APRH + we have a C + Bahk makes the year 2 leap.

He's the #3 WR this year. Minny might try to sign him at year's end. ;) I don't think he's going to beat out Jordy or Cobb, but if M3 trots out a 3WR-1TE-1RB formation to start, he's starting.

- Adams will follow Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb and become really, really good.
I think this happens. It will take him a little time though -- he's rookie.

I don't see this happening. Sorry.

I think one of these happens. I'm pulling for both of them, and I think between the two of them we'll find a replacement/upgrade for Finley. Then again, maybe it's Bostick.

- Lacy, Starks & Harris will make defenses play the run 1st, opening the game for Rodgers.
I think this is a stretch. I think it will make defenses respect the run, but they'll still play the pass first.

- A balanced "O" will be even more unstoppable than the early season "O" of 2011.
I think calling any offense unstoppable at this point of the year is dipping into Kool-Aid.

Nope. I think Jones plays better and shows he's a good player, but not a blue-chip star. Daniels ahs a good season and gets some attention and votes, but too many other DT's to beat out for the honor.

Nope, but I think he plays better than recent years and gets a nice contract elsewhere and leaves.

Nope. I think he's gone after the season.

- The rogues gallery of LBs (Mulumba, Hubbard, Doughty, etc.) will spawn a star (or two).
If Perry can stay healthy he could surprise. I have no idea if he can, and the magic 8-ball says "the future is unclear" on Neal.
I don't think Mulumba, Hubbard or Doughty do much beyond provide depth and ST play. I like Mulumba, but I'd rather see CM3, Peppers, Perry and Neal playing major snaps at OLB ahead of Mulumba. Maybe Barrington has a breakout year? I think NaPalm needs to show something in camp to stick.

APRH, they are pretty good and deep. Also depends on which Tramon shows up.

LOL No, but it becomes less of a weakness.

- The "new" defense will get the best from everyone, and be top 10 in all categories.
All categories? No. Maybe "most" or "some" categories. They can and should be better than the previous 2-3 years. but I doubt they'll be 2010-good.

MadScientist
06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I hate this time of year. It's always so easy to fall for the propaganda. It is so easy to let your hopes and anticipations from previous years become expectations for the coming season. If I don't catch myself, I start to think that:

- Peppers really IS the player he was 5-6 years ago, or almost so. Remember all the puff pieces about the great veteran addition in 2002 - Hardy Nickerson
When the season started, he was old and slow. Hope Peppers is better, but I won't buy the hype machine on him at this time of year.

Bulaga has a decent chance of playing and being an upgrade over Barclay. Sherrod has a decent chance of being better than Newhouse.

- Tretter (or Linsley) will be the next really solid GB center.Can't be worse than the last two years.

- GB finally has an O-line that will mature together into one of the best for 4-5 years.Two words - James Campen.

- Boykin really is a starting caliber WR....from the hype machine that pimped up Borell and Gurley.

TT's record is pretty solid with early round receivers. He should be pretty good, but don't hope for too much as a rookie.

- Abbrederis and Janis will each have Donald Driver-like careers.Or this year's Charles Johnson.

- Rodgers II is going to be a difference-making pass-catching TE.Catch yes, block probably, get open ??? Set your hopes for Chumara levels (minus the hot tub)

- Lyerla will play like the 1st round draft pick he might have been.100% pure wild card. Lightning in a bottle, or a lighting bolt to the face.

- Lacy, Starks & Harris will make defenses play the run 1st, opening the game for Rodgers.Run first? Not happening. But defenses will have to respect the run and that is huge.

- A balanced "O" will be even more unstoppable than the early season "O" of 2011.Unlikely to be as explosive, but potentially more efficient and effective.

- Raji will play like he did in 2010.The usual fluff. Target your hopes for Daniels: good, Jones: decent, Raji: Better than last year

- Perry will have a Neal-like evolution.Wothy: decent, Neal: useful, Peri: don't hold your breath

- The rogues gallery of LBs (Mulumba, Hubbard, Doughty, etc.) will spawn a star (or two).Spawn a serviceable backup or two, at least for this year

- Safety will become a position of strength.Corners will be good. Compared to last year the safeties will be a strength. Compared to Seattle, not so much.

- The "new" defense will get the best from everyone, and be top 10 in all categories.If the offense is really good, the defense will not likely be top 10 in passing yards, just because the other teams will have to throw so much

So I get 7 out of 23 as being a good chance to happen. So good improvements, but not a bet the farm on the Packers SB win. At least not yet.

Fritz
06-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Patler, when I think of all the times of the year in which many Packer fans seem bitter and angry, and say or write what I consider idiotic things like "Ted Thompson doesn't care about the offensive line," or "the safety position will only be better once Burnett is cut" or "I'd cut Player X [often a very good starter] for dropping that pass/interception/missing that tackle," then I embrace this time of year. It's about the only time of the year when fans seem to embrace possibility instead of being angry that their team did not win the SB and demanding that the coaches/GM/players be fired, even if the team lost in a tight playoff game.

So enjoy the kool-aid. This stuff doesn't last long any more. Soon enough people will be bitching, and hard.

denverYooper
06-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Clay can play a whole season

Patler
06-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Clay can play a whole season

Some things are too absurd to fall for even in the off season!!

Just Jeff
06-13-2014, 01:51 PM

This one gets my tallest midget award.
http://jerseychaser.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Dirk-Midget-Trophy.jpg

Fritz
06-13-2014, 02:31 PM
We shall see, JJ. We shall see.

pbmax
06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
We shall see, JJ. We shall see.

Except that he read the comment incorrectly.

gbgary
06-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Oh crap, I'm starting to fall for it......

normal for this time of year. it'll get worse as we start to hear how good certain players are doing in OTAs and camp...and if no one gets hurt...i can't imagine. :)

woodbuck27
06-13-2014, 11:03 PM

It's too too much... I just can't stand all that great news !

Ohh Ohh the FEVER !!!

Clay Mathews III and Julius Peppers are named CO - NFL Defensive players of the year.

Hasean "HaHa" Clinton-Dix is the NFL Rookie of the year after making 95 tackles, 10 PD, 1 sack, 3 FF and 6 picks.

The Green Bay Packers are 14-2 in the regular season winning the NFCN and....stroll through the playoffs and become NFC Champions going on to win the 2015 Super Bowl game in a romp.

Aaron Rodgers is NFL and Super Bowl MVP.

Mike McCarthy is NFL Head Coach of the 2014 season.

Ted Thompson is declared a GENIOUS as an NFL GM and declared NFL Executive of the Year.

When asked about retirement Ted Thompson just laughs his head off.

GO PACK GO !